Unofficial Portkey Archive

Wind Beneath My Wings by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Wind Beneath My Wings

H_HrFan

DISCLAIMER: Sadly, not mine. Only the marvelous JKR can lay claim to the wonder that is Harry Potter. The song belongs to the writers and Bette Midler…sadly not mine either!

A/N: Another quick one-shot. I was working on 'Fairy Tale' and decided I needed a break (nap) and as I was drifting away this hit me! It only took about 30 minutes to write, but I think I like it!

Pure, unadulterated fluff is what it is! WHOO HOO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wind Beneath My Wings

What's this? Hermione wondered as she picked up the parchment that lay rolled up next to her books on the common room table. She'd only run upstairs for a minute to get the ink she'd forgotten and the parchment hadn't been there when she left.

She looked around the deserted room and shrugged her shoulders. Someone must have left it by accident, she thought to herself. She set it back on the table assuming someone would be back to retrieve it.

She'd gone back upstairs for the ink so she could write a long overdue letter to her parents; but there was something about the quiet solitude of the common room that made her pause in quiet reflection. There were only three days of school remaining until she graduated. Three days and she'd be without the warm confines of Hogwarts, her second home for seven years. There had been so many adventures within the walls of this magnificent castle, so much excitement in her seven years here; she looked around the room with mixed emotions. A small part of her was excited about the prospect of facing new opportunities, but another part of her longed to stay in this place, where every day she looked forward to nothing more than seeing her two best friends in the early morning hours and spending the time between classes laughing and just enjoying each other's company.

They'd talked about what they wanted to do when they were finally free of Hogwarts, but Hermione had never really been sure that her plans to go into medicine was what she really wanted. She wanted a challenge, she wanted to broaden her mind and experience all that life had to offer. She knew in her heart that becoming a healer would not allow her that opportunity, and now she found herself having second thoughts. The only thing she could be sure of, even this close to graduation, was that she always wanted her best friends beside her.

Ron had decided long ago that he wasn't cut out to be an auror. He was made for bigger things, he'd said. In the last two years his confidence had grown by leaps and bounds and he had become, by far, the best Keeper to pass through Hogwarts in many, many years. Being the best friend of Harry Potter guaranteed him a tryout for any Quidditch team out there; but his talent would make him a star! He'd lived in the shadows of his brothers, and even Harry, for so long that he needed his moment to shine. Hermione could not have been more proud of him the day he'd told her and Harry. Unfortunately for her, it meant that he would be traveling a lot and she would have to miss having him a part of her everyday life. There was a part of her, she feared, that would remain empty, hollow throughout the days he'd be away. She would have to resign herself to the fact that she'd only feel whole on the occasions when they'd meet again.

Harry was a different matter altogether. Since the defeat of Voldemort she'd no longer been able to read him like she had before. Two years ago he'd said he wanted to be an auror but now she wondered if he still felt the same. The excitement and adventures seemed to have caught up with him and now he wanted nothing more than solitude. The defeat of Voldemort seemed to have destroyed something within him and he no longer held that same spark that she now realized she missed. It had been that spark that had given him life and made her want to be a part of it. She hadn't realized until that moment just how much she missed him even though he was right there with her. Unlike with Ron, the hollow, empty feeling she felt for Harry could not be filled so easily.

It was only in the last month that Harry had defeated Voldemort and while the wizarding world celebrated, she watched as he withdrew further and further into an invisible shell. She thought she'd seen him looking at her on occasion but whenever she looked back, his eyes would be downcast, looking at the parchment he seemed to carry with him everywhere he went lately. As much as he seemed to write on it, she knew that parchment knew so much more about him then she felt she ever would. She'd spent many days wishing, hoping, praying that he would open up to her; she spent many more days saddened by the fact that he hadn't.

"One day, Harry Potter," She said quietly to herself.

She started when she looked up and saw that the parchment she had laid down on the table now rested comfortably atop her books. "How did that get there?" She said as she looked around the deserted common room once more. She'd been sitting right there and had not seen anyone coming or going.

That's odd, she thought though not uncomfortably. There was something almost familiar about the paper. She picked it up again and looked at it carefully. It appeared to be just an ordinary piece of parchment tied with a dark red ribbon. Dark red ribbon? Parchment were normally sealed or tied with string. It was unusual to find one tied the way in which this one was. She tried to think of where it may have come from but she couldn't recall ever seeing anyone with ribbon, much less ribbon the shade of this one.

She took one last cursory glance around the common room before she began to untie it. "Maybe if I just take a peek I'll know who to give it to," She said, talking aloud to herself once again.

Her eyes misted over as she began to unroll the parchment and by the time she had it open she was unable to focus on the words that lay before her. She wiped her eyes and blinked rapidly to clear away her tears.

My Dearest Hermione,

I know that I've been distant lately. I'm so sorry for the way I've been acting. I hope that when you learn the reason you'll find it in your heart to forgive me.

Something happened to me during the final battle with Voldemort. When it came down to it, I knew in my heart that I didn't want to kill him. For so long I've been angry about all that he'd taken away that I didn't stop to think about all that he'd given. (I think he would have killed himself if he'd known long ago just how much he's really done for me). Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until it was too late, we were already there and my fight with him had already begun.

When the dementors came to Little Whinging the summer before our fifth year, it was thoughts of you and Ron that gave me the strength, the happy memory I needed to produce the Patronus. I envisioned you both and at that moment, despite the danger, I'd never felt happier.

As you know, it was my love for Sirius that drove Voldemort from my body at the Department of Mysteries. It was my love for you that drove him to his death. During the battle I envisioned you, only you, and when the time came, there was nothing he could do to fight the power you gave me, and, in essence, the power he gave me. If things hadn't happened the way they did, I don't know if we'd be here now, like this. I've never told you, Hermione, just how much you mean to me.

I found this song one day when I'd gotten onto Dudley's computer (without permission, of course). I've been carrying it with me, waiting for the day when I could tell you…

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way,
you always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name -- for so long,
a beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Chorus
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and ev'rything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it,
I would be nothing with out you.

Chorus
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and ev'rything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly away,
you let me fly so high.
Oh, fly, fly,
so high against the sky, so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you,
the wind beneath my wings.

I love you, Hermione. I think I always have. You are a hero among heroes and by far the bravest, most generous person I know.

Everything I am is a result of your patience, guidance, and unwavering faith in me.

Everything I will be will depend upon your answer…

I am nothing without you, Hermione.

Hermione looked up from the parchment as tears fell from her eyes. She hadn't heard him come in, but she was not surprised to find him there, kneeling down next to her.

She turned to face him and he took her hand in his and looked deeply into her eyes, willing her to feel every emotion he was feeling…nervous, scared, hopeful, and above all else, love. His heart was hers and he was laying it bear for her. They had never said the words and he knew he was taking a chance but his heart held out hope that she felt the same as he did.

"Hermione Jane Granger," He said nervously, breathlessly, "I love you and I realize that I can't possibly live my life without you. I know we've never said the words, and I know that I haven't been the best friend I should have been these past weeks, but I promise you that what I feel is real. Nothing else matters if you're not there to share it with me."

Fresh tears began to fall as she waited with bated breath for his next words.

"Everything I will be will depend upon your answer…" He looked anxiously into her eyes, searching for any trace of doubt. Finding none he smiled and spoke the words that Hermione had not, until this moment, realized she'd been longing to hear, "Will you marry me?"

Without a moment's hesitation she nodded and cried out, "Yes, Harry. YES!" She looked into his eyes and she new that she'd found her home. "There's nothing I want more than to be your wife." She whispered.

Harry slowly released the breath he'd been holding and for the first time in a long, long time a genuine smile lit up his face and his eyes sparkled brighter than she'd ever seen as he placed the most beautiful diamond ring on her finger. He stood up and lifted her from the chair to spin her around in tight, slow circles. She leaned forward and for the first time ever their lips met in a most extraordinary kiss. Reluctantly they pulled away and the sparkle in her eyes burned brighter then the sparkle in the diamond.

His heart swelled as she spoke the words he'd waited so long to hear, "I love you, Harry Potter," She said with quiet conviction, "and everything I want to be is everything you are."

The hollow, empty feeling she'd felt moments ago had filled once again with the love that she knew had always been there for him, only this time it was better because it was shared.