Unofficial Portkey Archive

Parallel Universe by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Parallel Universe

H_HrFan

DISCLAIMER: Every time I do this I want to cry because sadly Harry does not belong to me … oh, and, neither do any of the other characters. No money, no fame, no glory will come from this story so please don't sue me … I have nothing to give!

A/N: This is a story I was working on before I started what was supposed to be a `short' little Her-my-oh-nee story. I thought I'd put it out there to see what kind of response I get so I'd know if it's worth pursuing later.

I'd appreciate your comments … good or bad … so I know whether or not to continue on. I'm working on finishing up `Fairy Tale' so I suppose I'm looking for my next great adventure.

Thanks!

PS For those of you reading `Fairy Tale' I was supposed to be out of town this weekend but inclement weather kind of ruined our plans. I'll be working on the next chapter soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One:

"Wow," said Hermione in a soft, disbelieving voice. "No way … I wonder if that could be true."

Following the events at the Department of Mysteries nearly two years ago, an indescribable bond formed between Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Luna. What had started as three had now become six and the bond they shared was strong and unbreakable.

The summer following the tragic events at the DoM Harry had thankfully spent little time with the Dursleys. Instead, he was taken to Grimmauld Place where the headquarters for the Order still resided. Upset by the fact that he was taken to Sirius' house so soon after his death, Harry sealed himself away from the others in an attempt to spend his time alone while still near to the people he loved. For reasons even he didn't understand, he had been unable to open himself up to Hermione and Ron and so, it had been left up to Ginny to try. After much coercion she was finally able to break through the barrier he'd erected around himself and as a result, their `friendship' quickly grew into more. As the relationship between them grew, the cycle continued as Ron and Hermione were inevitably drawn closer, soon to be followed by Neville and Luna.

While there were now three couples in the group, there was only one group and there was no way for an outsider to penetrate it. Where there was one there was bound to be at least one more not far behind as they continued to look out for each other.

This was their routine. Every night after supper they would meet in the Room of Requirement; generally they would study, but as it was a Friday, Hermione had gone easy on them and tonight they were able to sit around talking and just generally goofing off. As was her way, Hermione could often be found with a book or magazine in her hand; tonight was no different. When they heard her exclamation they all smiled and looked around at each other, it was so typical Hermione; she'd often find something in her reading and get a strong urge to share with the rest of the group.

Harry looked up at her. "What is it Hermione? What are you looking at?"

"Yeah, `Mione, what is it this time?" Ron said affectionately but with a slight roll of his eyes.

"Oh, it's just this article. It's fascinating. It's not something that I would normally pay any mind too, but now I'm curious to know if there's any truth to it," she replied.

"Well, are you going to tell us about it or are we supposed to be reading your mind now?" Ginny asked with an even blend of sarcasm and affection.

"Oh. Sorry," Hermione replied, still engrossed in the article. "Just give me a minute to finish this and I'll explain. Fascinating…" She mumbled again.

Surprisingly, the others silently waited for her to finish. This time seemed different and Hermione's behavior had certainly gotten their curiosity piqued. She seemed to be more interested than usual in what she was reading and they were all very keen on hearing the story that was causing the look of disbelief on her face. Even Ron had nothing to say while they waited.

After a minute Hermione looked up and noticed that all eyes were on her. After turning a soft shade of pink, she said, "Sorry. I didn't realize that I'd actually spoken out loud earlier."

"Okay, so tell us. What's so exciting about this article?" Neville asked.

"What are you reading anyway?" Harry asked.

"Oh, it's Science Weekly, a Muggle magazine that my parents send me. You've seen it before," Hermione replied a bit distractedly.

"Tell us about the article, `Mione. From the way you were mumbling to yourself it sounded like it could be an interesting one this time," Ron said with surprising interest.

"Okay, listen…" She said.

For many years scientists have believed that there is a universe parallel to the one in which we live. While there are varying degrees of belief, and numerous theories associated with a `parallel universe' there is one underlying fact that scientists can and do agree upon: if someone is looking for their true soul mate they need look no further than where they, themselves, are.

It is believed by many in the scientific community that each individual has a soul mate and that their roles in the two worlds are reversed. In layman's terms, this would mean that whatever a person is doing in this universe, their soul mate is doing in the parallel universe.

According to Steven Jones, a futuristic research scientist from the United States, "In essence, it is believed that there is a point at which the two worlds collide and the two souls are at last united. Naturally, this time is different for each pairing as it is virtually impossible for everyone in the world to find their soul mate at the exact same moment. It is when these worlds collide however, that we are inexplicably drawn to the one within our own universe for which we are predestined."

Another theory has scientists believing that individuals who are destined to play a vital role in one universe have a soul mate that shares the burden from the parallel universe; meaning, that whatever role one is playing in this universe, their soul mate is playing in the parallel universe. Knowing this, the individuals in both universes can rest assured that they are never really alone. It is when their destiny is fulfilled that the worlds collide and their souls are then joined.

Says John Winslet, a research scientist from the United Kingdom, "While this theory has proven difficult to substantiate, we believe we are closer than ever to discovering the truth. Numerous types of scientific research ranging from dream…"

"From there they just talk about how they've reached their conclusions, what kind of research they've done, etc…" finished Hermione. "I think it's a very interesting theory."

"Hold on," said Ron appearing as though a light bulb had just turned on above his head. "You mean to tell me that if this article is true, then in another universe I'm the one reading the books and being clever? Not Hermione? Scary!" He looked at her with a twinkle in his eye and a sort of dumbfounded look upon his face.

Hermione realized he was joking but that he didn't really know what to believe either. "Perhaps you can find a way to get in touch with your other self to get some much-needed help on that homework you always seem to have so much trouble with," she teased as she smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

The others laughed but as Hermione looked around, she realized that they were all thinking about what their other selves could possibly be doing and what they might be like. It made her smile to think that she had finally found an article that kept their attention for more than two minutes.

"Don't tell me that somewhere out there Luna's looking for a lost toad named Trevor," laughed Harry, bringing a fresh round of laughter from the others.

"Yeah, and Hermione is sitting around playing chess and begging Ron to help her with her homework," joked Neville.

Hermione didn't seem to keen upon that idea but she smiled anyway and looked affectionately at Ron whose ears had begun to turn pink.

"And Neville has gone from anxious to dreamy. I wonder if the Crumple-Horned Snorkack can be found in the parallel universe. Maybe Neville's already discovered one, Luna." Hermione replied, making a concerted effort to hide her exasperation about such things.

This brought a fresh round of laughter from everyone but Ginny. Ginny was sitting quietly in the corner, her hand in Harry's, with a look of deep concentration and concern on her pretty face.

"What is it, Gin?" asked Harry.

"Yeah, Ginny, you're not looking so good. You look worried," Hermione said, suddenly concerned for her friend.

"Well…" started Ginny. "Do you s…s…suppose that the other me…the one in the other universe…could be battling You-Know-Who as we speak?" she asked in a low, timid voice.

The others looked at her in surprise and Harry held her hand a little tighter.

"Oh, yes. Just imagine…'the girl-who-lived'," said Luna in her faraway, dreamy voice, not realizing that the others had ceased laughing.

"Luna…" said Neville in a rather harsh tone.

"Oh…Ginny, I'm so sorry," said Luna with a look of deep regret in her eyes. "I didn't mean …"

"It's all right Luna," said Ginny. "It's just that when the thought hit me, I was just shocked for a minute and didn't know what to think. It's hard to imagine having to personally live through all of the things that have happened to Harry. It just took me by surprise, that's all," she finished with a sympathetic look at Harry.

Harry looked deeply into Ginny's eyes and wanted nothing more than to tell her how sorry he was that she had been scared by that thought, but as he looked at her he found that he simply could not apologize. Somehow he knew that there was no reason for her to be scared and no reason for him to be scared for her. As he was contemplating the reasons for why he was so sure she had nothing to fear Ron interrupted his thoughts...

"Well, it wouldn't really be You-Know-Who now, would it?" replied Ron. "According to the article our roles would be the opposite of our soul mate. That would mean that you would be battling his soul mate, and not You-Know-Who himself, wouldn't it?"

"Well," said Hermione in that know-it-all tone they'd grown so used to after so many years. "Since Tom Riddle has obviously never known love, I think it's highly likely that he doesn't have a soul mate. So, whatever pain he's causing here, he's most probably causing there as well. Don't you think, Harry?"

Not wanting to make matters any worse, Harry just looked down and sort of shrugged his shoulders. He glanced up briefly to give Hermione a "please just drop it" look and she instantly regretted her comment and looked down at her hand holding Ron's.

"Well…I'm exhausted. I think I'm ready to call it a night," Said Neville suddenly. "Thanks for sharing that article Hermione, it really was interesting. Maybe I'll have sweet dreams about Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and other bizarre creatures tonight."

Neville smiled shyly at Luna who put her arms around him and whispered, "I can't wait to hear about it in the morning."

Harry and Ginny walked quickly to Gryffindor Tower. When they reached the common room, she turned into his arms and looked at him with a half-smile and a look of regret.

"I'm sorry, Harry," She began. "I didn't mean to sound as though I wouldn't want to be your soul mate just because another me could be fighting You-Know-Who. It just took me by surprise, that's all. I don't ever want you to think that what you've done has not been greatly appreciated by everyone … especially me. I know how hard it's been for you and that's the part that scared me the most. Please forgive me."

Kissing her softly and resting his forehead against hers, he whispered, "Don't worry about it, Gin. It's okay. Really. Given a choice, I wouldn't want to be me either."

When he looked at her there was a sort of helplessness in his eyes and she had to fight to hold back her tears.

His entire life has been about saving the world, she thought, and I can't even comprehend it for just a few minutes…and I'm not even the one going through it. It's a Ginny I don't even know. What kind of friend … or rather, soul mate … am I?

With a tender kiss they said their goodnights and both turned to go to their dormitories. After a few steps Ginny chanced a glance over her shoulder and saw that Harry kept his head down and that he never once looked back.

Harry was deep in thought and it hadn't even occurred to him to turn around and check on Ginny. Why didn't that bother me? He wondered to himself as he walked toward his room. Every time someone mentions my destiny I get upset and I start to fear for the lives of my friends. A comment like that should definitely have me worried about Ginny. His next thought took him completely by surprise; could it be that Ginny's not the one?

Harry suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to check on Hermione; knowing she was with Ron was the only thing that kept him from turning around and looking for her.

Knowing Harry and Ginny needed a few minutes alone, Ron and Hermione took their time returning to the common room and kept an eye out for Neville who had walked Luna to Ravenclaw Tower. Since they knew he couldn't go all the way in they were expecting him to reappear quickly. Neville was still the one in the group that got picked on the most, and they didn't like to take their chances on his getting caught alone after escorting his girlfriend back to her dormitory. Most people knew better than to mess with anyone in the group, as many of them were scared of Harry, but catching Neville alone for a bit of verbal torture would suit any one of the Slytherins just fine.

Ron and Hermione meandered along in silence for a while; each of them caught up in their own thoughts. Hermione couldn't help but feel a little trepidation although she could not find a justification for it. When she looked at Ron, he was sort of staring off into space, looking as though he might have been daydreaming about faraway places. She thought for a moment about asking him what he was thinking and then thought better of it, realizing that she was enjoying the silence too much to break it just then.

Neville caught up with them just after Hermione realized how nice the silence was.

"Wow, Hermione," He said. "That was some article. You even have Luna and me wondering if there might be some truth to it. It's actually kind of fun thinking about what I might be doing in another universe."

"I'm glad you liked it, Neville," She replied. "It does make one think, doesn't it?"

With that, Neville joined in their silence. When they got to the Gryffindor common room Neville made a cursory glance at Ron and Hermione and quickly excused himself. After a quick round of goodnights, he rushed up the stairs to his room.

Ron and Hermione turned toward each other and Ron instinctively wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a comfortable hug.

Ron said, "That really was some article `Mione. I feel really awful for Gin though. She seemed a bit more upset than she let on. I know that putting yourself in Harry's position can't be pleasant, but I can't imagine that it would have that much of an impact either. Man…"

"Well, Ron," Hermione said in a tone that took Ron quite by surprise, "being Harry would mean a lot of responsibility. He practically carries the weight of our world…and possibly even the Muggle world…on his shoulders every day. Could you really imagine having to carry that burden? Do you think that Ginny could do it? Do you think you could?"

"I hadn't really looked at it in quite that way to tell the truth," Ron said thoughtfully. "I don't suppose it would be easy. I know that you could do it though." He said hoping to lighten her mood, if only a little.

Surprising him again, she replied, "Yes, Ron. You're probably right. I think I could handle it."

Taking note of the surprised look on his face Hermione quickly added, "Especially if I had friends like you and Harry to help me through."

Ron looked at her in amazement and gently kissed first her forehead and then her lips before he whispered, "Right again `Mione, and we would never leave your side."

"I know," She said in a lighter tone of voice.

"Goodnight `Mione."

"Goodnight Ron."

Hermione didn't make it far before her mind once again returned to the article. She couldn't see herself `playing chess and asking Ron to help with her homework' as Neville had joked earlier. She would want more action. If hanging out with Harry and Ron all these years had done nothing else for her it had given her an insatiable appetite for adventure. It gave her much more than that of course; friendship, trust, love, acceptance…she could go on forever. But it was her desire for adventure that had at first been the hardest thing to accept. Where she used to be just practical, she was now not only practical but a little daring as well. She loved using her knowledge, quick wit, and photographic memory to further Harry's cause. Helping Harry had been her passion since she'd repaired his glasses for him when they first met him on the Hogwart's Express nearly seven years ago. She smiled at that memory, just as she did so many others when she took the time to think about the past. She'd had a lot of good times with Harry and Ron and she was looking forward to many more, especially after the defeat of Lord Voldemort. There was a part of her that was really looking forward to that battle…

Ron was thinking quite along the same lines as Hermione. Under no conditions could he imagine himself buried in books. As much as he loved Hermione, he could not imagine being her. She was too smart for her own good … for all their good … and he knew that even in a dream world or a `parallel universe' as it was called now, he just couldn't bring himself to accept the fact that he was smarter than her. Just the thought of it actually made him laugh out loud. Thank goodness the others are sleeping, he thought. He could just imagine himself having to explain, "Well, I was picturing myself as Hermione. But without the bushy hair, brown eyes, and you know, girl stuff. Just imagining myself smarter, that's all!"

Nope, not going to happen. Not now, not ever, he thought to himself. Ron drifted off to sleep with thoughts of Hermione … not realizing that those thoughts would soon change to dreams of something entirely different.

Harry and Neville both heard Ron's chuckle but they were too engrossed in their own thinking to take the time to ask about it. It was only a chuckle after all. It wasn't like he was hurt or anything…whatever it was could wait until tomorrow.

Harry knew Ron well and he was quite sure he knew what had made him laugh and the thought made him want to laugh too. Ron as smart as Hermione, yeah right! Hermione! There it was again, that feeling. Harry didn't know how to describe it. It was like his stomach would tighten up and he would get worried. It was almost as if he felt … guilty. Why on earth would I feel guilty about Hermione? he wondered.

Hermione had been one of his best friends for nearly seven years. He'd felt guilty toward her a lot during that time, but it was never this nagging feeling like he was experiencing now. It started when she'd read the article to them and he hadn't been able to shake it since. He wanted to chalk it up to habit … in the back of his mind he lived in a constant state of worry where Hermione was concerned … Ron too, for that matter. For some reason though, `habit' was not a suitable term to use this time. Nope, he thought, this goes way beyond habit.

Harry tried very hard to clear his mind of thoughts of Hermione and tried to focus his thoughts toward Ginny … his Ginny. They'd had a lot of good times since they became a couple. Sometimes he found it hard to believe how lucky he was … how lucky they all were. Yes, they were all young but when you know, you know…and they all seemed to know. There was never any question of who would end up with whom. It was a natural progression and definitely what they'd needed at the time. Harry needed someone to hold. He needed someone to talk to, hold hands with…and he had to admit, the kissing was quite nice, too. Luna and Neville always seemed to be having a good time and Ron and Hermione … they'd been on the edge of something for quite some time so that was the least surprising relationship of all of them.

Determined to get some much needed sleep, Harry focused his mind once again on Ginny. Just Ginny; no thoughts, no worries just her face and her smile. With a small, soft smile on his face he drifted off to sleep - completely unaware of where his dreams would take him.

Neville was having trouble falling asleep. He didn't normally have trouble, but tonight he couldn't seem to stop thinking about the article Hermione had read. Just a few short paragraphs and for some reason he felt as though his life were about to take a drastic turn. He had no idea why he thought that, he just did. He reflected briefly on Hermione's comments about the Crumple-Horned Snarkack and other fantastical beasts that only Luna seemed to know anything about. He couldn't imagine spending his life daydreaming about finding creatures that only seemed to exist in his mind. He loved Luna, but she did have a tendency to `drift' off and on throughout the day. It was hard sometimes to know if she was ever truly there with him or if she'd once again lost herself to a world all her own.

Then he thought of Ginny. Neville had always had a great deal of respect for her. When Harry rescued her from the Chamber of Secrets she'd never let anyone see how scared she'd been. She was almost always in total control. It wasn't like her to get upset like she did tonight and it worried him. He was also worried about what her fears would do to Harry. Neville knew that Harry took everything straight to heart. His ability to feel the pain of others set him apart from everyone else. Harry never made fun of others and was always there to help out anyone in need. He could just imagine how much Harry would want to calm Ginny's fears.

He'd help him. He'd do whatever he needed to do to make it easier on both Ginny and Harry. Who knows … maybe this parallel universe doesn't exist anyway. There's probably nothing to worry about. Our imaginations are just running away from us with the thoughts of what we might be doing with our other lives, he reasoned. Tomorrow he would tell Ginny his conclusion and it would ease all her fears about her other self and what her destiny might be in the parallel universe. He would tell her that there's simply no way that other universe exists and that she needs to think about living in the here and now … in this universe.

When Neville finally reached the conclusion he'd been looking for he was able to return his thoughts to Luna. He visibly relaxed when he realized that there was no other Neville who might be out searching for fantastical beasts; there was only him and he was going to enjoy what he had. With thoughts of his life with Luna going through his head, he was finally able to sleep … completely oblivious to the fact that his dreams would take him places that, while awake, he would undoubtedly fear to tread…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N2: The continuation would take us into the dreams of the boys as well as the girls' thoughts and dreams until finally we reach our conclusion.

Thanks for reading. I hope you liked it and I'm looking forward to your comments.


-->