Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Weasley Medallion by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Weasley Medallion

jardyn39

Prologue

Summer holiday after Fifth year, Harry is still with the Dursleys at Privet Drive. Although still grieving Sirius, he has been greatly cheered by letters from his friends and occasional visits from the Order.

Chapter 1: Waking Up

Harry Potter was utterly relaxed. He had just woken and was lying on his front with his eyes closed. Unlike so many nights this summer, he didn't remember the usual nightmares from last night.

Everything was quiet. Harry thought it must be early because he hadn't heard Hedwig. She had a habit lately of returning with a hunting prize and seemed to delight in waking him up to show him.

For a long while Harry was content to allow nothing at all to pass through his mind and he lay still waiting for sleep to claim him again.

Harry felt a cool breeze across his back. He savoured the feeling. It had been very hot over the past few days.

He took a deep breath and experienced the pleasant smell of summer flowers that must have drifted in through the open bedroom window. The smell reminded him of the Burrow. So many nice things reminded him of there.

As Harry reminisced about the Burrow and the short but immensely enjoyable time he had spent there, he became aware that there was another scent that he could smell as well.

Harry kept his eyes closed. He wasn't willing to loose the pleasant daydreams of the Burrow to the reality of Privet Drive just yet.

What was that smell? It was so faint. It was sweet, almost like a perfume. No, it wasn't a perfume. Where had he smelled it before?

Harry moved for the first time since he had awoken. He slowly folded an arm under his head. His pillow must have fallen out of bed again.

As Harry's hand travelled he realised the sheets under him felt soft, not like the ones Aunt Petunia usually gives him.

Slowly, Harry recalled that it had been he that had made the bed. He had put the old sheets on the bed.

Harry wondered for a moment if he had been mistaken, after all he had just woken up.

Although he held his eyes closed, Harry knew he was fully awake now. He would not fall back to sleep.

Rather reluctantly, he slowly opened his eyes and looked around.

He froze, not even daring to breath.

This was not his room! Where was he?

Managing not to make a noise despite his shock, Harry looked hard into the dim half-light and tried to think where he might be. Nothing looked familiar at all.

Silently, Harry slowly lifted his head up to look around the room. It was still well before dawn but there was just enough light to see by. He found he was lying across the bottom of a bed, parallel to the foot-board. Ahead of him was an old tall-boy wardrobe that was leaning slightly.

Harry was about to rise from the bed when a figure dived onto the bed beside him.

He realised that the figure with bright red hair was grinning at him wickedly out of the dim light in the room.

"Ginny!" Harry croaked once he had got over the initial shock. "What are you doing here?"

"Shh! Er, Harry," she whispered back, "I'm here because this is my bedroom. The question you should be asking is why you have come to the Burrow!"

"How did I get here?" he asked incredulously.

"Let's go downstairs so we can talk. It's still very early. Hang on, Harry," Ginny said getting up and reaching over to her dressing gown and throwing it over him, "you'll want this."

As Harry felt the gown drape across his back he realised, to his horror, that he'd come without his pyjamas.

Ginny gave him a smirk and exited while Harry just blushed.

He quickly got up and immediately tried the frilly, rather too small gown on. This would not do at all. He threw it off and wrapped himself instead in a top sheet he found on the floor. Cautiously and slowly he made his way downstairs.

*

Harry found Ginny in the kitchen making them both a cup of tea. She looked a little disappointed when he appeared wearing a bed sheet rather than her dressing gown.

Seeing her look, Harry said, "It was a bit small."

Ginny looked like she was biting back some remark.

"Ginny, I'm really sorry but I've no idea how I got here."

"Harry, you obviously Apparated," she said without hesitation.

"But I can't Apparate."

"Just because you don't know how, it doesn't mean you can't."

Harry just continued to feel confused and worried.

"Harry, most wizard houses with, er, teenage boys, have Anti-Apparition wards that cover the bedrooms. Otherwise, when a teenage boy has a dream about a devastatingly attractive teenage girl he can't help but Apparate to her," said Ginny, trying not to grin.

Harry frowned and said, "I don't remember dreaming …"

"Your Aunt and Uncle's house probably hasn't got any of the wards needed to stop you."

"But …"

"The Burrow's wards were probably too old and weak to keep about an ardent admirer, though."

"I still don't …"

"It's okay, Harry," Ginny said gently, "I'll take it as a compliment. You don't need to feel embarrassed. It'll be our little secret: just you, me and Dad," she emphasised.

At that moment Ginny turned to the open kitchen door and Harry watched with growing mortification as a sheepish looking Mr Weasley came through wearing his dressing gown.

*

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop," he said and then with a rather less friendly tone than Harry was used to said, "Hello, Harry."

"Er. Hello Mr Weasley," said Harry, clutching his sheet even tighter. He tried to give a smile as he replied but his face muscles hadn't quite got over the shock yet.

"I think it would be best if nobody mentions anything to Molly about this," said Mr Weasley. "I'll go and get you some of Bill's old clothes for you to wear for now. I'm sure he left some old jeans and shirts. Come on, you can change upstairs."

As Harry followed Mr Weasley out of the room, he looked back at Ginny who smiled and blew him an exaggerated kiss. Harry blushed again, trying desperately to remember what he had been dreaming about.

Chapter 2: An Early Morning Walk

Harry crept back downstairs to find a dressed Mr Weasley who silently beckoned him outside.

When they were a safe distance from the house, Mr Weasley explained in a whisper, "I'd like you to come with me to get some papers. The Muggle shop in the village opens early and I thought we might have a talk on the way."

Harry nodded and they walked on.

"Harry, Ginny was right about what she said about you probably Apparating. Were you at your Aunt and Uncle's house?"

"Yes."

"The house was supposed to have anti-Apparition wards in place but they could have become ineffective over time. It was probably over fifteen years ago when they were put up. At the Burrow we don't generally trust in wards alone. Each of our boys wears an anti-apparition medallion, that way if they are outside they won't leave unexpectedly."

"Is it just boys that …?"

"No, girls usually have a different item of jewellery. Often a ring or a bracelet. We got Ginny a small necklace."

Harry felt a pang of guilt at Mr Weasley's last remark.

"Mr Weasley, I really can't remember what I was dreaming last night but I promise I would never treat Ginny with anything but respect and-"

"I'm sure, Harry," said Mr Weasley, but Harry wasn't convinced he was being sincere.

"I wasn't aware of having any feelings like that for Ginny," said Harry, thinking aloud.

"I am rather curious how you got in, though," said Mr Weasley. Harry was sure he wanted to change the direction conversation appeared to be going in.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, the wards should have kept you out of the bedrooms, at least."

They presently arrived at the village shop which was just opening. Mr Weasley's face lit up as they entered an Aladdin's cave of Muggle artefacts. After rather a long tour of the tiny shop, they bought a daily paper and a glossy magazine for Ginny (although Harry was sure Mr Weasley bought it for the free gift stuck to the front).

Eventually they strolled back, Mr Weasley marvelling at the adverts for electrical goods. Harry tried his best to describe the function and operation of the dishwashers Mr Weasley had asked about but gave up when he realised Mr Weasley was actually looking at steam irons.

*

Harry and Mr Weasley arrived back at Burrow just as the sun broke over the horizon. It looked like it would be another warm day.

They were met in the garden by Ginny who told them quietly that, "Mum's up."

Harry followed the intoxicating cooking smells of breakfast into the kitchen.

"Molly, we have a visitor!"

Mrs Weasley looked around interestedly and screamed with delight as soon as she saw Harry. She immediately leaped across the room and hugged him. Harry could not help but grin and return her embrace.

"Harry, how wonderful! How long can you stay?"

Mr Weasley came to his rescue saying, "I brought Harry here just for today while we repair the Apparition wards at his Aunt and Uncle's home. Dumbledore will want him back there as soon as possible."

"Arthur! That reminds me! You had a message while you were out," said Mrs Weasley, "The Ministry wanted to let you know. For some reason the Anti-Apparition wards have been broken throughout the area. They only said about this area. Nothing about Surrey. They don't know how it happened yet."

"Really?" asked Mr Weasley, acting a little too surprised.

"But how ever did you know to get Harry?" she asked.

"Dumbledore," he lied convincingly.

Before Mrs Weasley could quiz her husband some more, they were distracted by the sudden arrival and immediate departure of Fawkes in a flash of gold and red flames.

Two envelopes dropped onto the kitchen table. Mrs Weasley picked them up quickly and reading the names on the envelopes handed one to Mr Weasley and the other to Harry. They both opened the envelopes at the same time. Harry read his short message.

Harry,

Glad you are safe. Arthur will take you back to Privet Drive this evening.

I'm sure you understand.

AD

Harry looked up to find that Mrs Weasley was looking between them expectantly. Harry spoke first.

"He just said I have to go back this evening," Harry said trying not to sound too disappointed. He had hoped it would have better news, but he was not entirely surprised.

Mrs Weasley turned to her husband who was still reading his considerably longer letter.

Presently he nodded and said, "Harry can't stay, Molly."

Trying to hide her disappointment, she said, "Well, at least we can have you for today, dear. Breakfast!"

While Mrs Weasley fussed, Mr Weasley indicated with a backward nod for Harry to follow him and they went into the living room.

"Dumbledore thinks he knows what happened," he said quietly, shutting the door. "He suspects you broke through the Anti-Apparition charms, both at Privet Drive and here. In fact when you forced your way through, you managed to knock out most of the protection in the area."

Harry was relieved to see Mr Weasley had a small smile on his lips, but he was still confused.

"Will I be in trouble with the Ministry, again?" Harry asked.

"I think there'll be too many other offenders to bother with that," Mr Weasley replied with a small laugh. "Besides they would never believe you could knock out the wards in an entire neighbourhood."

Harry's anxiety wasn't entirely relieved by this opinion.

"Ginny told me just now that she saw you appear," Mr Weasley continued and Harry felt himself blush again, "and she said you didn't make a sound. Most wizards make some noise when they Apparate. It's caused because the air has to move aside to make room. Young and inexperienced wizards tend to make a lot of noise. Remember the noise Fred and George make when they Apparate, although I do sometimes wonder if they do that on purpose.

"Harry, if you can Apparate silently it stands to reason that you can also break though some anti-Apparition wards. I'm impressed that you're naturally becoming such a powerful wizard, however," he opened a draw in the battered desk and took something small out, "Dumbledore thinks it would be best if you had some control over where you wake up."

He handed Harry a thin golden chain with a small medallion hanging from it.

"This was Bill's. We had quite a few problems with Bill. He managed to break through our anti-Apparition wards once too. This medallion is a bit stronger than the usual ones. It kept him here while we were able to strengthen the wards."

"They were strengthened?"

"Yes, Dumbledore did it for us. We couldn't afford to pay for the Ministry to do it and my previous efforts weren't up to much. That's why I was surprised you managed to break through them. I'd be honoured if you wore it."

Harry held up the medallion. It was a dull bronze colour and around the size of a new penny. As it twisted he could clearly see the name "Weasley" engraved on one side and some runes on the other he couldn't read. Harry felt incredibly touched to have received such a personal gift.

"The honour will be mine, Mr Weasley," Harry said, "thank you."

Mr Weasley smiled and reached out to give Harry's shoulder a squeeze. "Wear it under your shirt in contact with your skin," he said, "and only take it off when you get back to Hogwarts."

Harry placed the chain over his head and tucked the medallion down his open shirt collar. The Medallion felt cold momentarily and for an instant Harry thought he felt a tingling sensation.

"What is it, Mr Weasley?" he asked.

Mr Weasley had a thoughtful expression on his face.

"When you arrived I rather assumed that your Aunt and Uncle's house would have wards to prevent anyone Apparating in, and I also assumed that there might be none preventing Disapparating out in case there was an emergency. Dumbledore's letter confirms that the house actually has strengthened wards preventing all Apparition. Indeed, I remember now I couldn't even Disapparate away from the garden when I picked you up that time before the Quidditch World Cup. I'd forgotten that. I had to walk a short way down the road first. So I wonder-"

At that moment they were disturbed by shouting from the kitchen.

"RONALD WEASLEY! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

Mr Weasley jumped at the noise Mrs Weasley was making and then sighed deeply. Harry realised that if Ron hadn't been wearing his medallion, he too could have Disapparated out last night.

Ginny slipped into the room as Mr Weasley left to calm down his wife.

*

As soon as he saw Ginny, Harry was forcibly reminded about something her father had said.

"You were watching me when I Apparated," he said coldly.

"Yes," she said smiling, "I was looking out the window, turned to go back to bed and you just appeared."

"You might have coughed or something," he said indignantly, feeling himself blush.

"I was too busy enjoying the view," she said brightly, "and wishing I had a camera!"

Harry laughed despite himself.

"I suppose you get to blackmail me now," he said grinning.

"Well, I must admit I've already told Mum you have insisted helping me with my chores."

Harry nodded and smiled. He would enjoy helping out.

"So what's first?"

"Breakfast, obviously, or Mum won't let you out of the house!"

Harry snorted. "But what then?"

"Then I'll be supervising you when you gather some fruit from the orchard. I've been putting it off for a while, actually. Not only is all the carrying back-breaking, wrapping everything without magic is so boring."

"Well, I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway," said Harry smiling.

"Harry!" she said laughing, "I'm not going to actually make you work! That's just the excuse we'll have for being alone for a while."

Harry's heart sank.

"Er, Ginny," Harry began uncertainly, "I'm sorry. I've no idea why I Apparated to you earlier. I mean you are attractive but I would never …"

Harry faltered at the sight of Ginny's suddenly cold expression.

"Ginny, I'm sorry if I've disappointed you," Harry pleaded quietly. "You can always tease me in front of the others, you know? Just so long as you know the truth."

His smile faltered as Ginny's face reflected a range of emotions. She recovered quickly, saying "Well, maybe you just need time to realise …"

"It's me, Ginny, not you," Harry said taking a step closer and gently held his hand up to her sleeve in what he hoped was an expression of friendship and support. Harry assumed she would be upset but was confused by her look. Was that anger he could see?

Ginny immediately turned and stormed out of the room.

Harry followed quickly, heading for the kitchen. By the time he arrived, Ginny was headed out of the back door. Mr Weasley stood holding out a napkin tied into a bundle with a wry smile on his lips, clearly used to turbulent mornings in his household.

Without wondering where Mrs Weasley had got to, Harry grabbed the bundle with a quick "Thanks" and followed Ginny out towards the orchard.

*

Harry caught up with Ginny just beyond the tree line.

"Come on," he said, "have some breakfast and then you can yell at me properly."

She smiled at last and they sat and ate the warm toast, not saying anything. Eventually they started doing Ginny's chores in the orchard.

Harry was amazed to discover that the small orchard was divided neatly into four seasons. As he stepped from one area to another the temperature and feel of the place changed completely. It was even starting to snow in one area. Harry supposed this was how they could be sure of a crop all year round.

Chapter 3: A Chat with Ron

Around mid-morning, Harry and Ginny went back to the house for a drink. Harry was pleased that Ginny was being perfectly friendly now, but he was a little concerned that she did not rib him more. He wondered if she really had been hurt by his rejection, but knew he didn't dare ask.

As they approached the house, Harry was delighted to see Hermione sitting on the garden seat, with a book on her lap and apparently lost in thought. Harry was almost up to her before she seemed to notice he was there at all.

"Hi," said Harry, sitting down, "you looked lost." Ginny had disappeared into the kitchen before Harry noticed.

She returned his grin, saying, "I was just thinking. What are you doing here?"

"Well, I found a new and novel way to embarrass myself," Harry said smiling, "but I have to go back this evening."

Hermione raised her eyebrows.

"You'd better ask Ginny to tell you, I'd be tempted not to tell the awful truth."

Hermione smiled but Harry thought she looked a little sad.

"Hermione," he asked gently, "is anything wrong?"

She shook her head and was about to say something when they were interrupted by Ginny.

"Hermione, have you seen Ron?" Ginny asked.

"No, sorry," said Hermione, smiling and holding her hand up to shade her eyes from the bright sunlight at Ginny's back.

"Well please tell him Mum made me clear out the chickens because she couldn't find him and Harry is going to get very, very dirty doing it for me."

"Sorry, Hermione, duty calls," Harry said getting up to follow Ginny. "See you at lunchtime."

Hermione smiled and watched Ginny drag Harry off before returning to her book.

*

Lunch was preceded by a short row over the filthy and rather smelly state Harry had arrived back in. Ginny had thoroughly enjoyed watching Harry clean out the cramped hen house, occasionally reading headlines from a pile of old newspapers she had found - apparently the "Little Whinging Flasher" had been sighted quite a few times.

Mrs Weasley had exploded when she saw Harry, who of course insisted to her that he had asked to do the chore. Mrs Weasley was rather confused by this, saying she hadn't asked anyone to do it today. Harry realised that Ginny must have decided he deserved to get that smelly and dirty.

Both Hermione and Ginny had stood before him holding their noses and making sarcastic comments like, "Honestly, Harry, it hardly notices at all," before Mrs Weasley finally took pity and performed several "Scurgify" spells on him.

At lunch Ron asked Harry to go with him for a walk and so they sneaked out while Ginny and Hermione were engaged in a deep conversation about Ginny's OWL subjects.

They had walked just out of sight of the cottage before Ron spoke. Harry knew through lunch that something was bothering Ron but he had thought better than to ask in front of Mrs Weasley.

"I'm sorry I didn't come and find you this morning, it's just that I was trying to get my head together. You see, I found myself somewhere unexpected this morning."

"Sorry, I think that was my fault," smiled Harry, "at least that's what Dumbledore thinks."

Ron just looked down at his feet.

"What is it?" asked Harry.

"I woke up at Loony Lovegood's place," Ron said miserably. "Her Dad was okay with it really, considering I appeared in front of them both wearing just my pyjamas. They just invited me to join them for an early breakfast. They'd been up all night trying to get evidence that the moon is really an egg that's about to hatch."

"Ron, I would prefer it if you called her Luna," began Harry but his train of thought was suddenly interrupted. "Hang on! Did you say you appeared in your pyjamas?"

"Yeah! Talk about embarrassing, eh? Anyway, that's not really what's troubling me."

Harry waited, allowing Ron to tell him in his own time but inwardly smarting that he hadn't been able to Apparate some clothes to wear.

"The thing is … I've been trying to get together with someone else," said Ron quietly, "and now I don't know what to think."

"Well, first of all," Harry said, "what are your real feelings for Luna? Do you care for her?"

"I suppose I do kind of fancy her," Ron answered, looking uncomfortable.

"Okay. Did you get around to asking this someone else out?"

Ron nodded.

"Well then, you have a decision to make. If you want to ask Luna out you should tell this someone else you don't want to see them any more. If you want to stick with her you will have to decide whether or not to tell her or not."

Ron sighed and asked, "You haven't asked me who the someone else is?"

"It's none of my business, Ron," said Harry, "but whoever you choose, if you want a chance of it lasting I think you need to be honest. Tell both of them the truth."

Ron nodded again, this time with more conviction.

"Thanks, Harry, I kind of got to the same conclusion myself," said Ron with a sad smile. "Look, would you mind if I, er, went, and er …"

Harry smiled and shook his head no, feeling nothing but sympathy for his best friend. He waited until Ron was out of sight before he turned and walked on by himself.

Harry was glad of an opportunity to be on his own for a short while. He thought back to the events of that morning.

Did he really have feelings for Ginny? He cared, certainly. He would do anything to ensure her safety. He recognised that she had grown into a trusted friend. When she had started dating last year, he hadn't felt jealous, had he?

As Harry walked on he thought of Ron. He would be pleased if he found someone. Harry smiled to himself, remembering Luna's letters from the summer. It had taken him about three days to comprehend half of what she was saying but he couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of her notions. He suspected that was her intention, anyway.

Harry remembered how he had bristled when Ron had called her "Loony". Harry certainly regarded Luna as a good friend now.

It was late afternoon before Harry finally returned to the Burrow. As soon as he saw Ginny sitting in the garden with Hermione, he realised he hadn't resolved too many things on his walk.

*

As Harry approached the garden seat, Ginny got up and walked inside without looking at him.

"I think Ginny's still angry with me," he said sitting down next to Hermione.

Close up, Harry realised Hermione's eyes were red and a little puffy.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked in a whisper.

"I will be," Hermione replied nodding. "Ginny didn't go because she was angry with you. We … well, we had words earlier and she just came out to apologise before I went."

Harry didn't know what to say.

"It was my fault, really. I was a little upset after I spoke to Ron after lunch and I bit back when Ginny made a remark."

Hermione paused and Harry waited for her to continue.

"Ron said you told him to be honest about what happened last night."

"He'd already decided to be honest," said Harry quietly, "he just needed to hear some re-assurance."

"Well, he told me where he was," Hermione said in barely a whisper.

Realisation suddenly dawned on Harry.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," he began, "I had no idea."

"It's okay, really," she said looking at him for the first time and smiling sadly. "I wanted to keep it quiet until I was sure."

"How long?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

"Well we've been writing since the end of term but we've only been together for the last few days. I feel silly for being upset actually."

"Please, don't say that, Hermione."

"I am. I knew from almost the moment I got here that it wouldn't work. Ron reasoned that it would take time, that we couldn't just go from being best friends to a couple-" she stopped abruptly and caught her breath and wiped a tear from her face at the same time. Harry gently reached up and put his hand on her shoulder.

"I had decided to go this evening, anyway," Hermione continued. "Mum and Dad are picking me up in a while."

"Ron cares deeply about you, Hermione," Harry said gently. "I hope you can both remain friends."

"Thanks, Harry," she said smiling. "I'm going to clean myself up before Mum and Dad get here. Do I look …?"

"You look great, Hermione," he said smiling.

Hermione half rose from the seat but then froze before sitting down again.

"Harry," she asked, "what was that thing that happened with you this morning? I didn't get a chance to ask Ginny."

Harry smiled and thought the tale might cheer her up. Telling her first that Mr Weasley didn't want Mrs Weasley to find anything about it, Harry proceeded to tell Hermione everything including how he truthfully had no recollection of dreaming of Ginny.

Harry was determined to lift her spirits even if it had to be at his own expense, and eventually Hermione actually laughed as he emphasised his embarrassment.

"Well, at least you managed to bring your glasses with you," said Hermione before she disappeared into the house, still wearing a smile. It was only after she'd gone that he realised that she was right. He'd brought his glasses!

Harry was washing for dinner when Hermione hammered on the bathroom door, shouted, "See you, Harry," and then was gone. He was disappointed that she was going but knew that Hermione would be happier at home with her parents.

As he finished and prepared to go downstairs, Harry realised just how acutely he had felt for Hermione's feelings. He hoped she would feel better soon. He realised that he wasn't entirely surprised that Ron had wanted to go out with Hermione, but he really hadn't expected her to agree. The idea of Hermione dating was becoming a little uncomfortable for Harry. He certainly wanted nothing but happiness for her, and he would certainly extend his friendship to anyone worthy enough to date Hermione.

Not that he could think of anyone worthy at that moment.

Chapter 4: The Twins Arrive for Dinner

Harry volunteered to help Ginny lay the table for dinner. He wasn't sure how long he had before returning to Privet Drive with Mr Weasley, so he thought he would take the opportunity to speak to her then. Fortunately they were alone.

"Thanks for making up with Hermione," he said quietly.

Ginny nodded and said, "I didn't mean to upset her. I was a bit insensitive but I just didn't think she'd be that upset about breaking up with Ron. I thought she was going to end it anyway."

"How long was she here for?" asked Harry trying to keep the conversation going.

"Just under a week."

"Where was she sleeping?"

"In with me, of course, as usual."

"I just meant she wasn't there this morning. Where was she?"

"I woke up and she wasn't there. I saw her sitting out in the garden from the window. I was about to go down to her when you landed on her bed."

"What do you mean, her bed?" asked Harry pointedly and Ginny blanched.

Anger flared up inside Harry but he barely had time to utter, "You knew!" before two loud cracks sounded and they were joined by the twins.

Ginny seized her moment to escape as Fred and George competed for Harry's attention.

*

During dinner, Mr Weasley told Harry about how they were to return to Privet Drive. By this time Harry was actually none too keen to stay. Hermione had gone, Ron had disappeared again, he was still angry with Ginny, was being constantly fussed over by Mrs Weasley and had been the butt of several of Fred and George's jokes.

As Harry finally stabbed a roast potato that Fred had "enhanced" to bounce around his plate, splashing gravy all over him, they were interrupted by a small popping sound from the fireplace.

The unmistakable features of Mrs Longbottom, Neville's grandmother, smiled regally from the kitchen grating.

"Good evening," she began, "I'm so sorry for interrupting your meal. I can call again later if it's not convenient."

"Not at all," said Mrs Weasley, turning to the fireplace. "How can we help you, Mrs Longbottom?"

"We will be holding a private memorial service for Sirius Black this Saturday. Dumbledore agreed on condition that there was very little notice given and that only personal friends and acquaintances may attend. I'm sorry it is such short notice, but I'd very much like you and your family to attend."

Mrs Weasley glanced over to Harry with a look of obvious concern. Mrs Longbottom followed her gaze.

"Harry, I didn't know you were here," she said in surprise. "Your invitation has gone by Muggle post, I'm afraid."

She turned back to Mrs Weasley and said, "I must go. The service is in the Estate Chapel at two o'clock on Saturday. You will have rooms and I hope you will be able to stay over to Sunday. Well, goodbye."

"Bye," they all said and Mrs Longbottom was gone with a faint pop. Mr Weasley put a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder and squeezed.

It was a moment before Harry found his voice.

"So, has Sirius been pardoned or something?" he asked.

"We'll talk about it on the way back," said Mr Weasley gently, and from his tone Harry immediately knew Sirius had not.

*

Eventually, Mr Weasley managed to pry Mrs Weasley off Harry and they set off back to Privet Drive, each carrying two enormous bundles of food.

They travelled by floo powder to a small porter's office in a remote train station from where they would catch a train. Harry looked back at the fire before they left the room and couldn't understand how they had got out of such a small grating. It was barely eight inches across.

Mr Weasley locked the office door behind them and they proceeded to the ticket office which was unattended but as soon as Mr Weasley tapped his wand on the booth, two tickets appeared on the counter.

They waited about half an hour on the deserted platform before the train arrived. They boarded the almost empty carriage and Harry noticed the other passengers looked almost in a daze. They came to their senses when the train began to move again and Harry noticed that on the maps stuck up on the sides of the carriage, there was no mention of the train station they'd just boarded from.

Mr Weasley, as Harry had expected, was thrilled with the journey. They kept changing seats to examine different parts of the carriage and even walked between carriages.

Harry was sure they had taken a rather longer journey than had really been necessary, but it delayed his return to the Dursleys a while longer. The closer they got, the more dread Harry felt.

When they eventually exited from the train station at Little Whinging it was very late. To Mr Weasley's disappointment, the last cab was taken by a group of revellers, so they walked. Harry waited for Mr Weasley to calm down a little before speaking.

"Mr Weasley," he began, "I'd like to thank you for having me today and especially for this medallion. I can't tell you what it means to me."

"It was our pleasure, Harry," Mr Weasley said smiling.

"Mr Weasley," Harry continued, "How much time does it take between Disapparating and Apparating?"

Mr Weasley looked at him curiously. "Well it's almost instantaneous usually. Quiet movements can take longer, because you have to Apparate slower."

Harry looked down. "It couldn't have taken more than a couple of seconds, then."

"Actually, Harry, it could," Mr Weasley said and Harry looked back up at him. "You Apparated through two sets of wards. It could have taken a few minutes, perhaps as many as ten. You were relaxed and would not have been concerned about anything, but it takes enormous strength of mind to maintain a non-corporeal state."

Harry stopped walking.

"So if the person I Apparated to had gone outside before I Disapparated, would I have followed or gone where they were?"

"Where they were before they moved, unless they moved to where you intended to materialise," Mr Weasley explained. "If anyone or anything moves to where you were going to Apparate, you feel it. It's instinctive to move away. That's why it's pretty much impossible to Apparate with part of you inside a wall or under the ground. In my youth I used to show off by Disapparating after jumping off somewhere high up. I've never been able to Apparate onto something moving though."

"Mr Weasley, I'm pretty sure now I didn't Apparate to Ginny."

"I know, Harry."

Chapter 5: Breakfast at Privet Drive

The next morning Harry thought he should make an appearance at breakfast. Everyone had already gone to bed when he and Mr Weasley had arrived back last night.

Uncle Vernon grunted when Harry entered the kitchen.

"Morning," Harry said quietly and went over to make himself a cup of tea.

"There was quite a commotion yesterday, when they realised you had gone," his Uncle said in a flat tone.

"I'm sorry," said Harry, "I didn't even know I'd gone. I've got a medallion to stop it happening again, though."

"Yes, that's what that Lupin chap said yesterday."

At that moment Aunt Petunia entered the kitchen, not looking at Harry.

"You received a letter yesterday," Uncle Vernon continued and handed Harry a small envelope. Harry was amazed to see it was still unopened.

"We also received an invitation to the memorial service," Uncle Vernon said. "Dudley has declined to go and your Aunt hasn't decided yet. I, however, will accompany you unless you object."

Harry looked up from the envelope and stared at his Uncle in shock. They have been invited to the service too. Uncle Vernon was actually going to come with him.

Uncle Vernon cleared his throat before explaining, "I got that Lupin to tell me about your Godfather. He didn't say too much, but he did say how important your Godfather was to you. Mrs Longbottom included directions and a map in with her letter. It's in the living room if you'd like to read it."

Harry managed to say, "Thank you," before leaving the kitchen to open his envelope in private.

*

Mrs Longbottom's letter was enclosed with an ornate invitation card. The letter explained that the service would be held in the Longbottom family chapel on their private estate. She also made it clear that the entire weekend would be non-magical, something the Dursleys must have found encouraging. She hadn't referred to "Muggles" once. Her letter was polite but rather commanding, very much as Harry remembered in her person. She had stipulated that no flowers were to be sent ahead and Harry had assumed this was because the florist might not be able to find the estate.

Harry and all three Dursleys had been invited to stay for the weekend and detailed instructions were provided for getting there by car.

As Harry re-read Mrs Longbottom's letter in the living room, he was joined by Mr Dursley who looked like he was looking for his evening paper. Harry looked up and his Uncle answered his unspoken question.

"I couldn't let you go to something like that on your own, especially if your Godfather meant so much to you. It looks like your Aunt will be coming too."

Harry gave a weak smile and nodded, feeling unsure if he actually wanted to go himself. Uncle Vernon looked directly at him.

"It's never easy going to a funeral for someone close. It's not just a matter of paying respect to the deceased. It will help you get over it. You won't feel it at the time, but you'll look back and realise that it was then that you began to heal."

Uncle Vernon then left Harry to his thoughts, which included the question why he had suddenly become almost sympathetic towards Harry. Perhaps Lupin had tried talking rather than threatening, or perhaps Uncle Vernon was remembering the loss of someone close to him when he was younger.

Harry resolved that whatever the cause of Uncle Vernon's sudden change in attitude, it would not be Harry that would break their truce, even if that meant being civil to Dudley and pretending to forget numerous previous injustices.

*

After a four-hour car journey, they stopped for the second time. The first stop was in a motorway service station where they had breakfast and filled up with petrol. Aunt Petunia, who had been rather quiet since Harry had returned, didn't even complain about the food. She did, however, look rather sternly at Uncle Vernon's selection of a full fried breakfast for himself and Harry.

Vernon had dryly quipped that they would be starting a new diet next week behind his wife's back and Harry wondered when his Uncle would remember to be horrible to him again.

Their second stop was in a village that was local to the Longbottom estate. Aunt Petunia was buying some flowers for Mrs Longbottom, and Harry and Uncle Vernon were stretching their legs outside the florist when someone shouting his name raised Harry's attention.

"Harry!"

Harry smiled as he saw Neville Longbottom walk across the road, weaving through the queuing Saturday traffic.

"Hi, Neville," Harry said brightly, "this is my Uncle Vernon and this is my Aunt Petunia," Harry finished as his Aunt exited the shop carrying a carefully wrapped spray of flowers.

Neville shook both their hands, looking relaxed and comfortable in tattered jeans and an old polo shirt.

"Have you got room for one more?" Neville asked Uncle Vernon, "It's just that Gran isn't too keen on going back in the Land Rover."

"I most certainly am not!" rang out a stern voice from behind them. They turned to see Mrs Longbottom smiling warmly at them. She was dressed immaculately in black and had dispensed with her usual stuffed vulture hat.

"I'm so glad you could make it. Harry, it's good to see you again. You must be Vernon, it's so nice to meet you. Petunia, welcome."

As she greeted each of them, she grasped their hand firmly and kissed them on the cheek.

"We would be happy to offer you a lift, Mrs Longbottom," Uncle Vernon said smiling, "our car's over there."

Mrs Longbottom grasped Harry's arm for support and they all walked back to the car. They were greeted by a man dressed in green work clothes standing beside a very muddy white Land Rover.

"I've been fortunate enough to have been offered a lift, Charles," Mrs Longbottom said as Neville jumped up into the passenger seat of the Land Rover with a grin on his face.

"Right you are, Mrs Longbottom," Charles said smiling before he addressed Uncle Vernon. "Follow us out of the village. The estate is about two miles outside but we'll being taking the scenic route so don't turn off when we do!"

Uncle Vernon nodded and opened a rear car door for Mrs Longbottom.

When they were all comfortably seated they set off.

"This is so much nicer than that awful vehicle," Mrs Longbottom said looking around appreciatively. "It hasn't even got carpets in and I'm sure they drive over the pot-holes on purpose."

Further up the road, they passed the Land Rover and waved. Harry saw the vehicle stop and Neville leap out just as they had left the road.

"Charles is the Estate Manager. Neville has been helping him out during the holidays, but I'm sure it's only because Charles lets him drive on the Estate's private roads."

"Neville can drive?" asked Harry.

"Yes, he can even stay on the road sometimes. He keeps telling me that it's an off road vehicle but I'm not sure that's right. He's not keen on driving with me as a passenger because I won't let him go fast enough for his liking."

Harry laughed.

"Vernon, the Estate entrance is the next left," said Mrs Longbottom.

Chapter 6: The Estate

They drew gently up to a large brick gateway with enormous open wrought iron gates. Uncle Vernon slowed and opened his window. Harry could hear crunching of the wheels pressing into the gravel road as they travelled slowly along the straight narrow road. On each side were wide strips of neatly cut grass and close rows of trees that looked like they had been well tended.

"The Estate is much smaller than it was once," commented Mrs Longbottom, "and we no longer have many animals on the farm. My late husband decided some time ago that we should lease as much land as possible back to the tenants. He wanted them to earn a good living from the land for themselves but I'm rather glad the Estate is smaller now, just because of all the livestock rules and regulations."

They reached the end of the straight road and turned. Harry and Petunia both gasped when the house came into view. It looked enormous.

"The house is unchanged externally from when it was built in the mid 1800s," Mrs Longbottom explained, "but we've made several improvements internally. It was used by the Army during the last war and we've struggled to repair the damage they did ever since. We are fortunate to retain a small number of employees from the local area, but we no longer have any live-in domestic staff."

The narrow approach road widened as they drove past the front of the house. A fork to the left headed down the side of the house through an archway. As they passed, Harry glimpsed some more of the house. It looked quite as deep as it was wide. He could see a couple of rusty tractors parked discretely out of the way.

"Vernon, that was wonderful," said Mrs Longbottom warmly as they came to a halt next to another car, facing away from the house. "You'll have to give Neville and Charles some lessons on driving properly!"

Ahead of them a large group of small children were running around on the large lush lawn that had been hidden by the trees along the entrance road but now extended to a row of trees that concealed the main road. Most of the children were chasing each other around an ornate stone water feature.

Harry hopped out and ran around to the other side of the car to help Mrs Longbottom out of the car. Once out, she was immediately greeted by three small and over-excited looking ladies who had scurried towards them from the lawn.

"Mrs Longbottom," gushed the first one to arrive, "thank you so much for allowing us to hold our fund raiser here again."

Harry looked again and could see a home-made banner for a local mothers and children group. Escaping from the group surrounding Mrs Longbottom, Harry watched as Petunia looked lost in thought staring up at the house. Uncle Vernon, meanwhile, was admiring the car they had parked next to.

It was a gleaming black Bentley with smoked glass windows and wide low profile tyres. From the size of the twin exhausts out the back Harry knew that it must be rather fast. The car had personalised licence plates, but Harry did a double take when he read "APWBD 2"

Harry and Uncle Vernon looked at each other with the similar expressions, although for slightly different reasons.

"That thing cost more than what our house is worth," Vernon muttered to himself.

Mrs Longbottom had by then extricated herself from the group of ladies and was watching Aunt Petunia with a smile.

"Do you remember the house?" Mrs Longbottom asked gently, and Harry looked between them both, curious about her question.

Aunt Petunia nodded slightly.

"You were very young, of course, and I don't think you came more than twice."

Mrs Longbottom looked at Harry and smiled, saying, "Your mother was only a toddler when she and your Aunt came. Lily adored her big sister, followed her everywhere. And when she wasn't following she was up to mischief."

Petunia smiled remembering.

"I remember you chasing her around that water feature like it were yesterday," said Mrs Longbottom. "Lily was absolutely determined to dive in, I recall."

At that moment they were joined by a maid and two porters from the house who came out to carry the luggage up to their rooms. Uncle Vernon opened the boot lid and lent in to lift the bags out but the porters were too quick for him. In a flash they were on their way back into the house, carrying their entire luggage.

They were distracted by another car pulling up next to Uncle Vernon's car, and Aunt Petunia took advantage of the opportunity and presented Mrs Longbottom with her flowers who accepted them graciously.

Out of the car climbed Hermione and her parents. The maid quickly took the flowers from Mrs Longbottom to allow her to greet the three of them. Almost immediately the porters were back waiting discretely to unload the Granger's car.

Mr Granger stepped over and greeted Uncle Vernon and then Harry while Mrs Granger and Hermione greeted Aunt Petunia. Harry noticed that all three of them wore black and he suddenly felt out of place in his jeans and dull red shirt. Mrs Longbottom's note had said that black was entirely optional but that Harry would be loaned robes if he wanted them.

It wasn't long before Uncle Vernon and Mr Granger were talking about cars and admiring the Bentley. Despite Uncle Vernon's good behaviour today, Harry was rather glad that the Granger's car was older and smaller than Uncle Vernon's.

Harry turned to find Hermione standing next to him, looking at him anxiously.

She looked at Uncle Vernon and leaned in to whisper, "I thought it best if we came in Mum's car." Harry grinned back at her and nodded.

"How are you feeling?" Harry asked quietly.

"Better, thanks," she replied.

At that moment Neville appeared and dived through the small group to where Harry and Hermione were standing.

"Hi," they all said at the same time.

"Wow, Neville," Hermione said, "you look smart!"

"Thanks, Hermione," he said a little sheepishly. Neville had changed for the service and now wore black full length robes. Strangely, he didn't look at all out of place amongst everyone else, mainly because almost everyone was wearing black.

"Ah, Neville, good," Mrs Longbottom's voice commanded. "Neville, would you please show everyone to their rooms so they can freshen up for the service. We'll meet back in the White Room in one hour. Harry? You may escort me along to the West Gallery."

Harry was a little taken aback.

"This way, everybody," said Neville, smiling confidently as he walked towards the main entrance. Everyone but Mrs Longbottom and Harry followed him. It struck Harry how much more relaxed Neville was. Then again, he reminded himself, this was his home.

Harry walked over to Mrs Longbottom and offered her his arm again which she took. After a short pause they too set off towards the house, walking at a much slower pace.

"I'm so glad you were able to come," she began. "I was afraid it would be too short notice. Albus insisted that we have a date so that Remus Lupin could attend and at the same time not tell anyone. He was concerned we might get some uninvited guests."

Harry nodded in understanding.

"Mainly, though, he wanted to give you a little more time. It must have been a terrible loss for you."

Harry looked down, his throat tightening.

"Mrs Longbottom, it was really nice of you to hold a service for Sirius."

"It was the least I could do," she said gently. "After I got your letter, I made Albus tell me what happened at the Ministry. Neville hadn't said a thing, of course."

"You should be very proud of him," Harry said, "and not just because of what happened at the Ministry. He achieved more improvement in Defence Against the Dark Arts than anyone else."

Mrs Longbottom stopped.

"I am proud of him, Harry. I won't pretend I'd rather he be considered poor in terms of magical abilities."

"Is that why he didn't have his own wand?" asked Harry.

"Yes," she replied sadly, "I thought he'd be safer. I accept now that I was wrong."

They continued walking and entered the front entrance and proceeded along a long brightly-lit gallery with non-moving paintings and tapestries. Almost at the far end, Neville finished telling the Grangers about one of the large paintings on the wall before escorting them on.

"May I ask you something, Harry?"

"Of course."

"Would you continue teaching Neville? Even with his new wand he needs to learn quickly."

"Yes, of course I will," said Harry at once. He didn't need a request from Mrs Longbottom before he would do this, but thought it would be impolite to say so.

They stopped next to a large timber door.

"Harry, through that door are some stairs. Climb right to the top and you will find your room. They used to be servants quarters many years ago but they are quite comfortable. On the bed you will find some robes that I'm assured will fit."

Harry nodded and opened the door. He was halfway through the door when she called him back.

"Harry," she said, "I'm so glad Neville has found such good friends."

Chapter 7: The Service

Harry stood for a long time looking at the long robes he was wearing in the full length mirror. The robes laid out had fitted him perfectly. He had marvelled at the quality of the material and stitching. They must have cost a small fortune and inside a label in golden thread proclaimed "Tailored for Mr Harry James Potter" with the date underneath.

"Most suitable," said the mirror.

"I thought this was a non-magical weekend?" he asked the mirror, not expecting it to answer.

"Well, we are in one of the family's private areas within the house. Any Muggle wouldn't even see the door you went through."

"Oh," said Harry.

"Well, if you insist on wearing that hair, I think you're ready, young man," said the mirror.

Harry grinned. Yes, he did insist on wearing his hair.

*

Harry found his way back downstairs and was walking along the long gallery when Neville came out of a side door.

"Alright, Harry?" asked Neville.

Harry smiled and nodded although he was beginning to feel unsure of himself.

"Hermione said that Ron and Luna may be a couple soon. I saw Luna earlier, she's around somewhere."

Harry nodded again.

"Look, Neville," said Harry looking back at him, "can I ask you to do something for me?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Well, I was at the Weasley's house earlier this week and I sort of upset Ginny."

Neville raised his eyebrows.

"I'd just feel happier if she had someone to lean on. She'll be upset anyway and I'm afraid I just made things worse. Just make sure she's Okay."

Neville nodded and smiled. "No problem, Harry."

"Thanks," said Harry and they walked into the room where everyone was waiting for Mrs Longbottom. He was surprised to see a group of over forty people when he arrived. He stopped at the entrance to the large high room and quickly scanned the group looking for Hermione or Ron. On one side of the room were four high windows and on the other three walls were various paintings and one large tapestry.

Neville and Harry separated as they stepped into the room.

Over on the far side of the room he saw Charlie engaged in a quiet deep conversation with Bill. Fleur and the twins were listening with sombre expressions. Harry felt uncomfortable but wanted to be close to someone he knew well. He decided to make for them and see who else was around.

Harry almost walked right passed Lupin. He was standing chatting to Tonks. She was sporting jet black hair today and smiled at Harry with watery eyes but didn't say anything.

Lupin was wearing what looked like brand new robes almost identical to Harry's.

Lupin smiled and said, "Ah, yes. Mrs Longbottom insisted that I could only come if I agreed she could dress me properly."

Harry smiled back and was about to refuse a sherry offered by a waiter who was skilfully moving amongst the guests but Lupin took a glass with his free hand and handed it to Harry.

"Cheers," he said in a whisper, and all three raised their glasses.

Over on the far side of the room, the tall pair of doors opened and Mrs Longbottom appeared escorted by Kingsley Shacklebolt, who was laughing gently at some remark she had made. They moved into the room and spoke with the Weasleys who were sitting in the corner with the Grangers and the Dursleys.

Harry felt Lupin put his hand gently on his shoulder and say gently, "Let's go over and join them, shall we?"

Harry nodded and followed, weaving around the small groups mingling around the room.

*

Harry stood at the back of the group. Mrs Longbottom had sat in a high backed chair and Kingsley was standing to her right, one hand on the back of the chair and holding a sherry glass in his other. She was telling them something about the room and how it had been named.

As Mrs Longbottom spoke, Harry looked around. Mrs Weasley was sitting on a small settee with red cushions and ornate gilt carved legs. To her right sat Ginny and then Hermione and Mrs Granger. Mr Granger was standing next to her.

To the left of Mrs Weasley stood Mr Weasley with a hand on his wife's shoulder. Next to him sat Aunt Petunia, looking more relaxed than Harry had seen her for days. Next to her stood Uncle Vernon, listening with interest to Mrs Longbottom. Next to him was Luna who was standing next to Ron.

Luna looked across and gave a small smile to Harry, who smiled back. Ron saw and turned to Harry.

"Hi, mate," he said in a whisper.

Harry just smiled and nodded. Ron moved towards Harry to say something when a chime rang out.

*

Mrs Longbottom looked up, saw Harry and said, "Well, we should go over to the chapel. Harry, would you?"

Harry took three steps over to her side and offered her his arm and found he couldn't quite look anyone else in the eye.

She pulled herself up and they walked slowly through the large pair of doors she had come through. They had walked about twenty feet into the next room when Harry realised he hadn't heard the others follow. He glanced around to see Kingsley step aside to let the others follow, clearly he had intended for a short distance to be maintained. Harry was pleased to see Neville accompanying Ginny walking just in front of Mr & Mrs Weasley.

"Thank you very much for loaning me the robes, Mrs Longbottom," said Harry quietly, turning back as they walked.

"It was no trouble," she replied, "and you are to keep them." Harry considered protesting but her commanding manner made further discussion pointless.

"There will be a small reception after the service," she continued, "there will be a curtain across the room that acts as a divide between the magical and non-magical people attending. Your Aunt and Uncle won't be able to see through the curtain. I know how sensitive they can be to anyone not dressed normally.

"Hagrid was keen to see you, of course, but I said he should wait until after the service. The chapel has two levels and the magical attendees are on the upper level."

"Mrs Longbottom, how come my Aunt and my Mum came here?" asked Harry.

Mrs Longbottom smiled and said simply, "They were invited as part of a mother and children's group very similar to the one we played host to today. The family has invited groups to enjoy the grounds for as long as anyone can remember, and this Estate has always employed non-magical people to help run it. Your father visited too, although not until much later."

"Did Sirius ever come?"

"No, his family didn't really approve."

They didn't speak for a while but walked slowly out of the house and along a gravel path towards the small stone chapel.

"The service will be given by a local vicar. He's non-magical too."

"Do any of the non-magical people around here know anything?" asked Harry.

"Generally, no," she replied, "although some do suspect something and some very trusted friends have been told in confidence."

As they approached the building, Harry realised that the chapel wasn't as small as he first thought. They were greeted at the door by a young man wearing a white smock over black robes.

"Mrs Longbottom," the man said bowing slightly.

"Vicar," she responded regally and they walked inside.

"Harry," she said stopping once they had reached the isle, "I'm afraid I have to sit in the family area. It's tedious and I'd rather be seated with you but there'll be a such row if I don't maintain the tradition."

Harry smiled at her and nodded.

"Go to the front and find a seat. Everyone will be along in a moment," she said and then hesitated and grabbed his arm. "Remember we are all here with you, even if you can't see us." Harry nodded again and could see tears forming in her eyes. She sniffed slightly and was gone.

Harry made his way along the isle passing rows of empty benches. He reached the front and walked along to where some booklets with black ribbons had been placed on the bench seats. He looked up to the balcony above and remembered what Mrs Longbottom had said.

He picked up a booklet and sat down, deep in thought.

Harry looked through the booklet. It was an order of service and some songs, none of which he was familiar with.

He looked around at the various marble commemorative plaques on the walls until his eyes fell on the dais. On the dais stood a table with red crimson cloth. It struck him that it was odd that there was no obvious symbol of any religion in the chapel that he could see. In front of the table stood a large wreath hung on a wooden easel draped in black silk. Inside the wreath was small coat of arms.

Harry stared at the wreath, remembering Sirius. The memories came flooding back of the times they had laughed or argued. He remembered Sirius when they first met in the Shrieking Shack and later in the caves above Hogwarts. Most memories were of Sirius in Grimmauld Place. He also remembered Sirius vividly from Snape's memories he'd seen in the pensieve.

He became vaguely aware that someone had sat down next to him. His eyes were by now obscured by tears but be blinked them back and turned when he felt a hand grab his and take a tight grip.

Hermione leaned against him, a single tear falling heavily. Harry brought his other hand over and covered Hermione's hand, giving it a slight squeeze. He could feel her hands trembling.

A voice rang out and Harry became aware of people standing all around them. Hermione and Harry struggled to their feet and Harry offered up the song sheet. Music started and singing began around them, although neither Harry nor Hermione were able to sing.

As the service continued they rose and sat for several more songs and prayers that Harry barely took in. Harry found his entire attention was acutely drawn to Hermione who looked and acted like she was expressing just how Harry felt inside. He clung onto her hands.

The only part of the service Harry paid any real attention to was a period when the vicar spoke about Sirius and the life he had led. He was a little resentful that someone that didn't know Sirius at all had given the eulogy but soon became quite lost in what was being said.

A prayer, a song, another prayer and the service was over. Harry became aware of people standing and moving to the exit but Hermione showed no sign of wanting to move so they sat quietly, Harry feeling comforted by her presence.

Chapter 8: A Garden Walk

Gradually, Hermione's grip on Harry's hand was loosened and she looked up and smiled weakly. He nodded and smiled back. Looking around, Harry realised that almost everyone else had gone. The vicar was waiting patiently by the side exit. Hermione wiped her eyes and took a deep breath before looking around.

Realising the vicar was waiting, Hermione got up quickly and made to hurry out. Harry caught her hand though, and she slowed for them to walk out together.

The vicar shook both their hands as they exited and they offered vague thanks for the service.

"I'm sorry we kept you," said Harry, finding his voice stronger than he expected.

"Not at all," the young man said brightly. "The path to the right goes straight back to the house but I would recommend taking the path to the left. It takes a bit longer but the gardens are quite beautiful this time of year."

They stepped outside and Hermione dragged Harry down the left path.

*

The winding gravel path had thick bushes on either side. Harry could hear distant voices of others presumably further along the path but they didn't see anyone.

After a short while they came to a fork in the path. Curious, they took the smaller path and after going through a dark canopy of branches came out in a small clearing next to a lake.

"Let's sit for a while," said Hermione and pulled Harry over to a small bench seat.

They sat for a while looking out onto the calm lake and watched ducks and two swans swimming in and out of the reed beds on the other side of the lake.

"Isn't that Ginny and Neville over there?" asked Hermione pointing out far across the lake.

"Yes," said Harry, "I wonder where Ron and Luna are?"

"Probably still walking," Hermione replied. "Luna didn't want to sit in the service so Ron said they would go for a walk."

"Of course, her mother," Harry said in a whisper.

"Ginny looked quite upset earlier. I think she was afraid you were still angry with her."

"I'm not," said Harry honestly and he turned to Hermione. "Did Ginny tell you what we spoke about at the Burrow, after you left I mean?"

"No."

Harry sighed deeply and turned his mind to some of the things he wanted to tell Hermione.

"There are some things that Dumbledore told me the night Sirius died. Things he should have told me about a long time ago. I'm going to tell you, Ron, Ginny, Luna and Neville, if you're willing to hear them. They will not be easy to hear."

Hermione squeezed his hand tighter.

"You may never look at me the same way, Hermione."

Hermione shook her head furiously, looking close to tears again.

Harry smiled sadly and said, "But there's something else. Something I can only tell you."

Hermione blinked back her tears and sat up straighter, ready to listen.

*

"I've been having trouble sleeping this summer, more than usual. The good news is that the dreams I kept having last year have stopped. Unfortunately, they have been replaced by my usual nightmares."

"Usual nightmares?" Hermione asked, frowning slightly.

"Yes. Some nights I'm actually afraid to fall asleep," Harry said smiling. "Still, it's better than having Voldemort in my head."

After a short pause, Harry continued, "I can't tell you how sorry I am for the way I've treated you this year, Hermione. It wasn't always because Voldemort was messing with my mind, either."

Hermione shook her head.

"Anyway, my usual nightmares are full of my mother and father being murdered, Cedric being killed, the Dementors, fighting Quirrell. Now, of course, I dream of Sirius falling through the veil, Bellatrix LeStrange laughing and me being possessed by Voldemort."

"Stop!" Hermione gasped and she clutched Harry's hand even tighter.

"It's okay," Harry said gently, "they're only dreams."

Harry waited until he felt her grip ease before continuing.

"But the worst thing of all-" began Harry but he stopped as he saw Hermione's expression tense.

"Look, I'm sorry, Hermione, today is probably the worst day I could have chosen for us to have this conversation. Perhaps we should come back to the worst part of the dreams some other time, if you feel up to it."

Harry expected her to protest but Hermione nodded gently instead.

"You remember I told you about how I got to the Burrow?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded and looked a little relieved that the subject of their conversation had changed.

"Well after you'd gone I had a conversation with Ginny, and then with Mr Weasley, when he took me back to the Dursleys. I got annoyed with Ginny because she knew, right from the start I think, that I didn't Apparate to her."

Hermione frowned a little.

"Mr Weasley confirmed that it would have taken me time to break through the Anti-Apparition barriers both at Privet Drive and again at the Burrow. When I Disapparated, it could have been a few minutes before I Apparated. As I was half asleep I wouldn't have known.

"When I woke up at the Burrow, I assumed I hadn't had my usual nightmares. I don't think that was right but I did wake up relaxed. I normally wake up fighting until I realise it was only a dream again. This time something was different.

"This time I didn't need to jump up and run through the Department of Mysteries because you were safe. I woke up knowing somehow that you were close and safe. I just didn't know that instead of running to you, I Apparated. You see, I always wake up at the same moment, just after seeing you fall unconscious and Neville not being able to find a pulse. And that, Hermione, is my worst nightmare."

They sat in silence for a while Hermione processed everything Harry had told her.

"You must make up with Ginny, Harry," Hermione said at last.

"I will," he replied, "I was wrong to react the way I did. I suppose I was still smarting that Ron could make his clothes Apparate and I couldn't."

Hermione snorted.

"You also need to improve your aim a bit," continued Hermione, "because we'll be learning how to Apparate next year in school."

"My aim was pretty good, actually," replied Harry smiling. "I didn't even know you were staying at the Burrow and I managed to land right where you had been. If you'd only stayed put or gone out into the garden earlier I would have landed-"

"-Right on top of me!" finished Hermione, laughing.

After a while Hermione asked, "So what are the other things you wanted to tell us?"

"Not today, Hermione. I'll tell you the 'us' stuff when we get back to Hogwarts."

"You just wanted to put me on my guard against Apparating Potters?"

"Yes, you never know when I might accidentally on purpose forget to wear my medallion!" Harry replied, laughing.

"You might want to phone to see where I am first," countered Hermione also laughing, "Mum mentioned wanting to go all-night shopping next week!"

Harry laughed and then thought how much worse it could have been. Harry's face grew more serious as he thought back to her original question.

"Well, no, not entirely," Harry admitted. "I suppose I've been trying to say that it was my feelings that brought me to you. I can't imagine ever being able to Apparate to anyone else."

Hermione hugged his arm and rested her head on his shoulder.

After a while Hermione raised her head to look at him and said, "I've got something to tell you too. It's the reason I should never have agreed to go to the Burrow in the first place."

*

Much later, Harry and Hermione walked arm in arm back up to the house, entering through the tall glazed doors at the rear of the house.

Inside there remained a small group of people making quiet conversation. Mr Granger and Uncle Vernon were trying to explain something about speed cameras to Mr Weasley and Mrs Longbottom was in deep discussion with Mrs Granger and Aunt Petunia.

A long black curtain divided the room and as they entered it parted slightly and Harry could see shadowy outlines of more people out of sight of the others.

"I'm going to sit with Mum for a bit," Hermione whispered and kissed him on his cheek before disengaging her arm and walking away.

Harry stared at the curtain. It reminded him forcibly of the veil at the Department of Mysteries.

He wanted to see Lupin and Hagrid again, although he still wasn't sure what he would say to them.

He was still annoyed with the way Dumbledore had treated him but it was also time to apologise and make things up with him.

Harry took a deep breath and walked forward through the curtain.

Just as he passed through the curtain, one more thought occurred to him-

"I wonder if Dumbledore will let me have a drive in his Bentley."

END