Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Apprentice Piece by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Apprentice Piece

jardyn39

The Apprentice Piece

by Jardyn39

Part One of "The Apprentice Piece"

Introduction

This is the first of five self-contained but linked stories set during Harry's Sixth Year.

The five consecutive parts of "The Apprentice Piece" are entitled: The Apprentice Piece, The Crucible, The Dragon, The Sword of Light and The Accord. A Summary for the remaining parts is given at the end of the last chapter. A brief prologue for the preceding parts is given at the beginning of each part.

Prologue

Harry has returned to Privet Drive after finishing his Fifth Year at Hogwarts. He is resigned to staying with the Dursleys for the entire summer.

Chapter 1: Summer Job

On a dull Tuesday morning in late July, Harry Potter found himself leaning against a wall watching the slow rush-hour traffic move occasionally along the high road. It was just after 7:30 and Harry hadn't quite woken up yet.

This was the second week that Harry would be helping George Hellar as his assistant. Harry's Uncle, Vernon Dursley had arranged for Harry to have this part time job, although Harry didn't think he would actually see any money himself.

George was a carpenter and joiner, and Harry guessed he was approaching retirement age. So far they had been to several houses to fit new windows and doors or do minor repairs.

Although Harry was happy to get away from the Dursleys for a few hours a day, he wasn't too keen on the idea of doing carpentry at first. He didn't think he would be of much use, never having handled tools nor done any woodwork. Harry, though, had immediately taken a liking to George who would patiently explain the job, the tools they would use and talk about the various timber species that would be suitable. Harry would be directed to fetch, carry and clean up as needed but at least once each working day he would be directed to do something actually for the job.

The first day had been the worst.

All he had to do was cut off a measured length of timber. The ends were to be square and it would be used as a packing piece at the back of a frame. George made the first one in about twenty seconds, including measuring.

Simple Harry had thought. He was wrong. No matter what he tried he could not make a straight cut with the hand saw. He was soon mortified to discover he was surrounded by an odd assortment of cut wood. He eventually finished by using a rasp to square off his best effort.

After what seemed to be an age he returned to where George was working to present the finished article, dreading what he would say about the quality of his effort as well as the amount of wood he had wasted.

George however carefully examined the piece with a wry smile. He wedged it into a gap between the frame and the brickwork and directed Harry to pick up the electric drill. Following George's specific instructions Harry then fixed the window frame with four long screws. It was rather satisfying to get something right.

"Okay, now let's see about the other side. We'll need two more packing pieces."

Harry's heart sank as he followed George around the house back to the cutting horse.

George selected a piece of wood from the ground. Harry grimaced as George examined it, the end of which was particularly bad. Not only was the cut not straight at all but it had split at the end. Splinters were jutting out at an alarming angle.

George picked up the handsaw and cut the end off the wood. Harry marvelled. He didn't need the square to see it was a perfect cut. Not only that, George had cut through the wood like it was made of butter. Harry had struggled to keep the saw from jamming every time he used it.

George smiled and handed the saw to Harry who shook his head slightly but none-the-less took the saw. George moved around and placed his hand over Harry's around the saw.

"No, Harry, place your index finder along the handle. Gives more control. Good. Hold the timber with your other hand. It mustn't move. Make your thumb knuckle like this as a guide and draw the blade against it. The teeth are too low to cut you. Place the saw at the cut position and draw the saw back." He pulled the saw backwards and the cut started. "Now move the saw forward in a slow gentle action. Don't fight the wood." Harry felt the saw move as George cut through the wood. "Now stop almost at the end. Finish with short cuts and support the end so it does not splinter. Okay?"

George let go the saw handle. "Okay, now measure the length we need and draw a square line around it as a mark." Harry did so and prepared to make the second cut. He waited for George to take the saw again but he didn't. He adjusted Harry's grip on the saw again and also adjusted slightly his other hand. "Go ahead," he said quietly.

Harry drew back the saw trying to remember the feel of it when George had been cutting. The saw had actually started cutting in the right place for once. Here goes then, he thought as he pushed the saw forward in an even cutting motion. The end of the wood splintered slightly even though George was holding it.

"Well done," George said simply. "Cut the other one while I fix this one. Then we'll need to clear up."

When Harry said goodnight to George when he was being dropped off back at Privet Drive that evening, he felt rather proud of his achievements. He actually laughed out loud to himself when he thought of both Ron and Hermione's reactions when he boasted he had cut a piece of wood on his own!

*

Harry's reverie was interrupted when he heard a beep from a car horn and looked up as a familiar plain white van drew up and stopped. As usual, Harry stepped forward to the passenger door.

This morning, however, the passenger side door opened before Harry got to the van. A young man jumped out. He had close cropped light coloured hair and was wearing a wide grin.

"You must be Harry. My name is John Read," he said shaking Harry's hand. He held the door open and Harry got in and slid himself along the front bench seat. John jumped in pushing Harry along further and slammed the door shut.

"Morning, Harry," said George.

"Morning, George," replied Harry as they sped off.

George, as usual, was quiet while he drove. John, on the other hand chatted constantly, making observations and jokes. John was probably in his late twenties and wore a designer polo shirt with fancy sunglasses in his top pocket. Harry would have bet that his tatty jeans were also a designer label.

John explained, eventually, that he was assisting today because they were to install a large timer screen in a house that was being refurbished. Harry started to say he knew as he had helped load the van with the screen components yesterday, but John carried on explaining that screen has been prefabricated at the workshop but has been disassembled for transporting.

John was constantly making quips that reminded Harry strongly of Ron.

They arrived at the site and Harry followed the other two up the stairs to where the screen would be installed. Harry had never been to a building site before and looked around with great interest, although he felt rather self-conscious wearing is brand new safety helmet and borrowed safety boots. Unfortunately they found the opening that would receive the large screen was not ready yet. John did not appear care very much but George was clearly annoyed that his plans for the week had been disrupted.

Harry noted how much George was respected on site. No-one used coarse language around him. Harry listened as George patiently explained to the Architect why his drawings wouldn't work and tactfully suggested the correct way to proceed.

As they couldn't fit the screen, they spent the morning hanging doors and fitting locks. Harry just fetched and carried, and he knew that the materials were far too expensive for him to mess up. John just chatted most of the time.

John was very curious about Harry. Harry was obviously evasive when he answered John's questions. John had noticed that he was not like the usual troublemakers George usually took on.

Later George returned from a meeting held upstairs saying they would pack up and come back in a few days time. Before they left he went to the foreman to get their record sheet signed. The foreman was reluctant to sign and George was not very forceful. George left the sheet with the foreman while he packed up but Harry noticed John go into the office to have a word. He emerged looking uncharacteristically serious with the record sheet, which he handed to Harry. Harry noted it was signed and the hours have been adjusted to the entire day. John clearly didn't like George being taken advantage of.

*

The three of them spent lunch in the park. George was engrossed in a letter as John quizzed Harry some more about his school. Harry had been avoiding these questions all morning.

"You go to a private boarding school? That's not exactly a normal background for an apprentice carpenter, is it? Normally George takes on yobs, like me. Trouble makers, you know?" They both laughed.

"Well, to hear his Uncle talk …" began George not looking up from his letter. "Anyway, Harry's not an apprentice. He's just helping us out, that's all. Oh, Harry, I've just remembered. You forgot your wages from last week. Here."

"Er, thanks. Are you sure? I thought my Uncle …" Harry asked as he took the small brown envelope. Uncle Vernon had told him George would be sending his pay direct to him. Besides, Harry was sure he had wasted twice as much in wood alone last week, something he had confessed to John earlier. John had laughed and assured Harry that he had wasted far more when he started.

"Thanks," Harry said again quietly, realising that George intended him to have at least part of his earnings.

"First pay packet, eh?" John mused. "Can't remember what I spent mine on."

"I seem to recall it was alcohol related," George said dryly. John laughed and nodded enthusiastically.

"Hey, what time is it? There's a reserves game on this afternoon. Coming Harry?"

George shot him a warning look. "Hey, I promise not to let him spend his money. Or get drunk. Or …"

This continued for some time until they eventually bid George goodbye. The reserves match was held at a football stadium a short walk away. John explained that the quality of the play would be pretty poor since they were only reserves and the club was in a lower division. When they arrived the gates were open and they entered for free. They joined a small but loyal group of supporters and Harry had a good time cheering and groaning with the rest.

Harry didn't mind at all that it was a truly terrible match. He even retrieved the ball once when it had been kicked high into the empty stand.

Although neither side really deserved to win, the match ended 1 - 0. It had been an own goal and John had been practically in tears laughing at it.

The small band of supporters made their way outside, making commiserating remarks to each other. Harry and John made their way to the train station where John made Harry take the money for his fare. They bid each other goodbye and as Harry entered the station ticket hall, John went straight into the adjacent pub.