Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Quiet Room by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Quiet Room

jardyn39

Harry Potter sat on his bed at Number Four Privet Drive feeling utterly miserable. Beside him, his trunk was packed. Any moment now, Remus Lupin was due to arrive and take him to the Burrow for the remainder of his summer holidays.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Harry looked up to see the smiling face of Lupin.

"Ready to go, Harry?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not going."

"Why Harry?" Lupin asked, his voice suddenly full of concern, "What is the matter?"

Harry either couldn't or wouldn't say. He honestly didn't know which himself.

For a few minutes Lupin continued to gently plead with Harry until finally he looked at his watch and said, "Well, we've missed the time for the Portkey now. I'll need to go, but I'll be back as soon as I can. Are you sure you are okay, Harry?"

Harry nodded and gave a weak smile. He knew Lupin was concerned about him.

A few minutes later there was a flash of red and gold flame above Harry's bed and a note dropped onto his lap. It was a note from Albus Dumbledore telling him he would shortly pay him a visit and he would Apparate directly into the house.

At the same moment, Ron's owl Pig flew in through the open window and landed on the bed next to Harry. He was concerned to see the bird looked exhausted. He took the note from the owl and was about to offer him some water and food when Pig flew off again.

Harry was still staring at the unopened letter from Ron when Dumbledore knocked on his bedroom door.

"Hello, Harry," said Dumbledore gently. "Remus was concerned about you."

"I'm sorry," said Harry quietly.

Dumbledore looked at him intently. Harry could not look him in the eye. He knew he was behaving unreasonably and was absolutely dreading Dumbledore asking why he didn't want to go. Harry had resolved though, to tell Dumbledore the terrible truth.

Dumbledore, though, must have detected Harry's discomfort because he made no enquiry about why Harry had refused to go.

"Of course, you don't have to go to the Burrow if you don't want to," he began, "but I think it best if you come away from here at least."

Harry was relieved to hear this but knew the only alternative was Grimmauld Place.

"You have been invited to stay with Neville Longbottom and his grandmother for a few days. The Weasleys will not be informed where you are but I would recommend that you make contact with them as soon as possible. They are bound to be worried."

Harry nodded and said, "Thanks."

*

Harry stood on the polished timber floor of a large lobby with high ceilings and ornate plaster cornices. On either side of him were large gilt mirrors and behind was a high glazed timber screen creating a lobby to the front door. Ahead of him, Harry could see two large staircases and several doors leading to side rooms.

He dropped the small Portkey on a side table and took a tentative step forward. He felt awkward shouting his arrival.

He must have been heard, though, because out of a side door came someone familiar.

"Hi, Harry," said Neville smiling. "Welcome. Come into the living room. Gran's out visiting some friends at the moment."

Harry followed Neville into the room and was staggered by the size of it.

"Thanks for having me to stay, Neville," said Harry.

"No problem," Neville replied smiling. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Thanks. Neville, I was supposed to be staying with the Weasleys, but I'd rather they didn't know I was here for now."

"Sure, Harry, if you want. Is anything wrong?"

"Well, you see," began Harry when there was a soft pop from the fireplace.

"Neville, are you there?"

Harry had quickly ducked out of view.

"G- Ginny?" asked Neville, walking towards the fireplace that had Ginny Weasley's head in it.

"Hello, Neville," she said, "Harry has disappeared. Do you know where he is?"

"Um, no, sorry," he answered timidly, looking un-helpfully to the very spot where Harry was hiding.

There was another pop and Ginny had gone. For a moment Harry thought they had got away with it, but then the flames roared bright green and out stepped Ginny and Luna.

"I was visiting Luna's when Mum contacted us. She's been trying to find out where Harry has got to, so we started to make some enquiries."

"Really?" said Neville, trying not to sound terrified.

"Come on Neville," said Ginny advancing on him, "you know something. Where is Harry?"

Luna meanwhile had taken a tour of the room and stopped to say, "Hello Harry," in an annoyingly casual tone. He got up to face them all.

"I'm sorry," he began, "but I couldn't come to the Burrow. I asked Neville not to say I was staying here. I just need a little time, that's all."

"But why, Harry?" asked Ginny. "Ron showed me your letter. You sounded like you were so looking forward to coming."

Harry looked down.

He knew Ginny was hurt and Mrs Weasley must be feeling the same.

"This is a lovely house, Neville," interrupted Luna. "Will you show us around?"

"Sure," Neville replied brightly, "you'll stay for lunch as well?"

Ginny gave Harry a dark look before turning to follow Neville and Luna. Harry felt relief that Luna had got him out of Ginny's interrogation for now at least. After a moment he too followed.

*

Harry woke up after falling asleep in front of the fire. It was late in the evening now, and the four of them were sitting in the living room.

He realised that Ginny and Luna were talking about him and had decided to pretend to remain asleep for the present.

"I think Harry is being selfish," said Ginny. "Mum was bound to be upset. She's been looking forward to having him to stay for ages. I mean, I know he's bound to be a bit mixed up after what happened to Sirius, but I thought we were in this together. It's almost like he thinks we don't feel the same thing."

"I don't think it is his Godfather," said Luna.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you said Harry was looking forward to coming," said Luna.

"I thought he was."

"So, I think something else is troubling him. Something that has happened in the last few weeks; days maybe."

"Perhaps," said Ginny thoughtfully. "What do you think it could be?"

At that moment Harry decided that the conversation was becoming a little too uncomfortable and so he pretended to wake up.

Shortly after, Luna and Ginny returned home.

*

The next day Harry was enjoying breakfast with Neville and his Grandmother when Ginny and Luna arrived back and joined them for some toast. Harry suspected that Ginny had come back just to have another go at him, but he was relieved when she made no comment in front of Neville's' Grandmother.

Mrs Longbottom was quite delighted that Neville had friends to visit and she suggested that they take one of the local walks before lunch. She recommended one of her favourites that included a viewing point from which most of the surrounding countryside could be seen on a fine day.

A little later, Harry found himself standing next to Ginny as they waited for Neville outside.

"Mum's really upset," she said quietly. "Dumbledore told her that you're safe but nothing else."

Neville joined them and Luna grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him off towards the path at the end of the garden. Behind them, Ginny and Neville followed. Ginny was apologising for the way she had spoken to Neville the day before.

*

The four of them sat or lay lazily at the top of the small hill they'd just climbed. Harry was stretched out on his back with his eyes closed and enjoying the warm sun. His fingers toyed with the dry grass and he felt more relaxed than he'd felt for ages.

That feeling ended as soon as Ginny spoke.

"Harry, why won't you come to the Burrow?"

"Leave Harry alone, Ginny. He'll tell us if he wants," Neville said, rather bravely Harry thought.

Harry didn't need to open his eyes to feel the dark look Ginny was giving Neville just then.

"Well, I think Harry's reaction is quite understandable," said Luna enigmatically.

"You know what it is?" asked Ginny.

"Of course," she answered dreamily.

Harry struggled to sit up and saw Neville looking torn between wanting to know what it was and respecting Harry's feelings.

Harry looked over to Luna and at once realised she really did know.

"How did you find out?" asked Ginny.

"When we popped back to your house this morning for you to get your other bag, I went outside into the garden. I was hoping to say good morning to Ronald and I found Hermione there with him. They appeared to be talking very seriously, although I didn't actually hear any of their conversation. It was something about their tone that told me, I suppose."

"It's not just that," interrupted Harry, feeling very uncomfortable. He didn't really want to hear Luna give too many details.

He looked up to see Ginny and Neville exchange quizzical looks.

Harry sighed.

"At first, I decided I wasn't going to tell anyone. Then I changed my mind and for a while I was going to tell you all. Then, a few days ago I decided I would tell just Ron and Hermione and see what they thought about telling anyone else. Then I got another letter from Ron and I kind of went back to the idea of telling no-one again."

"Thanks for explaining," said Ginny with a smirk, "it was so confusing before."

Neville snorted and Luna smiled warmly.

Harry looked down again, still unsure if he should say anything.

"The night Sirius was killed," Harry began, "Dumbledore sent be back to his office ahead of the rest of you."

"Hang on, Harry," said Neville getting to his feet, "if this is something that mustn't be overheard, we should go somewhere secure first. We could be overheard out here."

Ginny looked up incredulously and said, "Neville, there's no-one around for miles."

"Are you sure about that?" said a disembodied voice.

At once Ginny and Luna leapt to their feet and withdrew their wands as did Neville.

Harry, who had recognised the voice, was immediately impressed by his friends' quick reactions.

"Hello, Tonks," he said quietly.

"Wotcher, Harry," said the voice brightly.

Harry got to his feet and said, "It's okay. Tonks is a friend, but Neville's point was well made."

"There is a secure room back at the house that Gran will let us use," said Neville, and he led them back

*

Once they were back inside the house, Tonks appeared from beneath an invisibility cloak and was immediately hugged by Ginny. Harry and Ginny then introduced her to Neville and Luna.

Mrs Longbottom readily agreed to their using her secure room, which was situated down in the basement. Tonks insisted that they not tell Mrs Longbottom that she was with them and stood watch outside the door.

Inside the small plain room were a few chairs and a small table upon which a lantern stood.

Neville closed the door and wiped his hand down the architrave next to the door handle. They heard a squelch indicating the door was locked.

"This room is called the Quiet Room. We can talk freely. No magical or non-magical listening devices will work in here," he said taking a seat between Ginny and Luna.

They all looked at Harry who was suddenly as uncomfortable as he'd felt before.

"I should first begin by apologising to you," he said. "You must have got the impression that I didn't trust you. That isn't true at all. Like I said, Dumbledore portkeyed me back to his office the night Sirius was killed. He told me something that night that he'd known for years. It is the reason why Voldemort was obsessed with finding out about that Prophecy."

He looked up seriously.

"He told me a secret that has been kept since I was a baby. If I share this with you, you must be aware to two things. Firstly, this is something Voldemort has been desperate to find out for years. If he even suspects that you know it, you will become targets. I'm not sure there is any limit to what he might do to find this thing out."

"Aren't we already targets?" said Luna.

"Of course we are," agreed Ginny. "He knows we were with you at the Department of Mysteries."

Harry nodded sadly in agreement.

"What's the second point, Harry?" asked Neville.

"Simply, that you will never be able to tell anyone," continued Harry. "Even discussing it amongst yourselves would be risky, but you can't confide in anyone, even if you think they may know what this secret is."

They nodded solemnly.

"You know," said Harry with a rueful smile, "I'm beginning to understand how Dumbledore has felt all these years. This is not something that will be easy to tell, and it won't be easy to hear either. Are you truly sure that you are prepared to share this responsibility, to swear never to reveal this? Please, think very carefully about this."

"Before you finally decide," he added, "I think you should know that I'm being quite selfish in offering to confide in you. It's been tearing me apart inside. I don't mind facing what is to come, and I know I'd feel stronger with your trust and support."

Neville, Ginny and Luna each swore to keep the secret.

"Thank you," said Harry, "I can't tell you how much this means to me. My parents were murdered because one of their closest friends betrayed them to Voldemort. He attacked them to get to me. He did that because he believed he was fulfilling a prophecy that was made. He knew part of that prophecy but not everything."

Harry proceeded to tell them everything in as much detail as he could remember. He declined to reveal who had made or heard the prophecy, though.

"So Dumbledore is positive the prophecy is about you, Harry?" asked Ginny as they discussed what he'd told them.

"He is," Harry replied, "but at the time it could have applied to two wizarding boys."

"Who was the other boy?" asked Neville.

"You, of course!" Harry replied smiling. "Don't worry, he marked me, as you can see."

Luna posed a series of questions, most of which Harry couldn't answer. He was left in no doubt, though, that the Sorting Hat had been quite right to place her in Ravenclaw.

After a while they became silent again.

"Harry, what has all this to do with you not wanting to come to the Burrow?" asked Ginny.

"I was wondering that," added Neville.

Luna remained silent.

"Well," began Harry, "perhaps I could first ask your advice about something. Do you think I, or rather, we, should tell Hermione and Ron."

"Hermione will be very upset," said Ginny, "but she can be trusted."

"I agree," added Neville, "and she may be able to throw some light on the different ways the prophecy could be interpreted."

Harry turned to Luna for her comment but found she was staring at him with an indiscernible expression.

"There might be difficulties there," she said eventually, adding, "what about Ronald?" before Ginny could respond.

"Ron would never betray any trust on purpose," said Neville at once.

Ginny gave him a warm smile and he blushed at once.

Luna simply repeated, "On purpose."

Ginny scowled at her friend and said, "Ron might say things without thinking sometimes but he'd know how serious this is."

"Actually," said Luna, "I was really wondering if he might ever be provoked into trying to hurt Harry. This would really be an ideal opportunity, wouldn't it?"

"What are you saying?" asked Ginny angrily. She looked to Neville for support but he was looking seriously back at Harry.

"Harry, what are you not telling us?" asked Neville.

Harry sighed deeply, took his glasses off and wiped his face.

"This is harder to tell you about than the prophecy," he murmured.

He put his glasses back on.

"You can trust us, Harry," said Luna unusually firmly.

"Yes, of course you can," added Ginny.

Harry looked towards Neville who was wearing an expression of dawning comprehension. He smiled slightly and nodded in agreement. Ginny frowned in frustration seeing Neville's expression.

"This particular secret isn't life threatening," began Harry, "but it is a bit embarrassing."

Neville was grinning widely now and Luna had a "so, I was right" smile on her face. Ginny looked even more annoyed that she wasn't in on the secret. She gave Harry a dark look that made it very clear he had better get on with telling them everything.

Harry wasn't at all sure how he should begin.

"Well?" asked Ginny impatiently.

"Take your time, Harry," said Neville, earning himself a scowl from Ginny. He smiled knowingly back to her and her scowl faltered for a moment.

"What are you looking so pleased about, anyway?" Ginny spat, recovering herself.

"I think I'd better answer that," said Harry. "I have been wondering whether or not to tell them ever since I heard the prophecy. When I got back to Privet Drive I had time to think things through properly. For the first time really, I allowed myself to examine how I felt. I was a little disturbed by my conclusions. Ron has been my best friend since we started at Hogwarts. In fact, he was the only friend I'd ever had up to that point. Ron has stuck by me. He has been a loyal friend. I can't really believe that I've doubted whether or not I can trust him with this."

Ginny was sitting listening intently now with no sign of annoyance.

"Then I started thinking about Hermione and my friendship with her. She has never, ever, acted in any way that wasn't supportive. Even when she was having a go at me it was because she was being protective, trying to make me see sense. She's done that knowing that I would take out my frustrations and anger on her, and she's never received much thanks from me for doing so. Right now, I'd have to say Hermione is my best friend, whatever I might say to Ron."

"I gave Hermione a terrible time last year," he added, "I'm surprised she puts up with me at all, really. Anyway, I decided that if I was going to tell Hermione about the prophecy, then it was about time that I told her what she meant to me and how much I have valued our friendship and her support. I couldn't put that kind of thing in a letter, so I made a list. It was a rather long list, I'm ashamed to say. I was even going to tell her about the voice thing."

"Voice thing?" interrupted Ginny.

Harry snorted and said, "Sorry. I know it's weird, but my conscience speaks to me in Hermione's voice. When I'm about to do anything reckless or wrong, it's Hermione's voice I hear telling me off."

Ginny smiled and nodded.

"The list also included a couple of things that were, ahem," he cleared his throat gently, "new to me. I just kept thinking about what happened at the Department of Mysteries when Hermione was hit. The only time I've ever felt anything similar was when we were in the Chamber of Secrets, Ginny."

Ginny pricked up her ears.

"That time, I ran up to you when I saw you were lying at the foot of Slytherin's statue. I was terrified I was too late. You were so cold. That time Riddle was there to assure me that you weren't dead yet."

"This time it was different though. When Hermione collapsed, I just went to pieces. If Neville hadn't been there it would have been all over. Neville checked for a pulse and after he said she was still alive I kind of came back."

Ginny reached out and placed her hand on Neville's hand and gave him a small smile. He looked a little red but didn't look up.

"So I realised, at long last, that Hermione, means a little more to me than just friendship," said Harry watching Ginny's eyebrows raise up in comprehension. "Unfortunately, that's when I got Ron's last letter. In it he informed me, his best friend, that he had at last plucked up the courage to tell his other best friend of his feelings for her and that I could congratulate them on becoming an item."

"So, the reason Neville is looking so pleased with himself is that he knew the only girls I've really got any time for are Hermione, Luna and you, Ginny," said Harry with a small smile. "If I fancied Hermione, the field would be clear."

Ginny gave a small frown to Harry.

"Of course, he was mistaken," chipped in Luna. Neville turned to her suddenly, failing to disguise the hurt expression on his face.

Harry made to interrupt, after all they were supposed to be discussing his acute embarrassment, not Neville's. Fortunately, Ginny got there first.

"Hang on," she said, "how sure are we that Hermione and my brother are an item?"

"Oh, very sure," said Luna emphatically. "I saw them in the garden this morning."

Harry felt his heart sink. Somehow, part of him wanted to believe there was still hope. He knew he was clutching at straws, but until Hermione actually told him or wrote to him, he would still have hope. Now he felt the last of that hope slipping away.

"Could he have used a love potion?" asked Luna.

"Ron would never do that," said Harry at once.

"I'm not so sure," said Neville.

"Ginny, has Hermione ever hinted how she might feel?" asked Luna.

"Well, to be honest she's kept those sort of feelings to herself," answered Ginny thoughtfully. "If I had to bet, though, it wouldn't have been on Hermione liking Ron that way. Hermione was really annoyed with Ron last year. He wouldn't back her up against Fred and George and that really disappointed her. She also felt he left her to argue with you, Harry. That hurt her most of all, I think."

"I didn't mean to take it out on her all the time," Harry said sadly.

"That's not what I meant," said Ginny. "She was hurt that Ron didn't confront you as well. They used to have long conversations and agree how they were going to tackle you. Then Ron would let Hermione just get on with it."

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"It was also strange that Hermione totally lost interest in Quidditch when Harry wasn't playing," added Neville thoughtfully. "I mean, she was always scornful of the game but she never missed a match."

"She came to Ron's matches as well," said Harry. "She sits next to me every game I've not played in. Okay she's quiet and usually brings a book but she's still there showing her support."

"Quiet?" Luna asked. "We can hear her scream way over in our stand when Harry's playing!"

"That's true," admitted Neville smiling.

"What did you see them doing in the garden, anyway?" asked Ginny.

Harry blanched hearing this.

"Aren't we getting away from the point?" he asked before Luna could respond.

"Yes," agreed Luna. "We need to consider what Ronald will do when Hermione dumps him for Harry."

"Just a minute," began Harry, not sure what he was going to say.

"He'll be stupid, irrational and impulsive," said Ginny at once, "just like he always is when he feels hurt and angry."

"So, Harry," said Luna seriously, "Ronald must not be told anything. Nothing about the prophecy and certainly, nothing about your feelings. Agreed?"

"Er, yes, I suppose," he answered tentatively.

"In addition," she continued, "Hermione must not be told either. You must not burden her with a secret from Ronald if she really does have feelings for him."

"You aren't planning on doing anything, are you?" Harry asked looking between Luna and Ginny.

"Of course we are," said Ginny dismissively, getting to her feet. "Harry, you must not do anything, though. You wouldn't look too good if they found out you tried to split them up."

"But I don't want to split them up," he said. Ginny gave him a withering look. "What I mean is that they deserve our respect for their feelings. It should be up to them to decide who they have feelings for, not anyone else."

"That's really noble, Harry, really it is," said Ginny with a smile on her face.

"Don't worry, Harry," said Luna getting up as well, "I'm sure Ginny will have you if all else fails."

"Me?" said Ginny. "What about you, Luna?"

"No, I'm taking Neville," she said looping a hand around Neville's arm and pulling him close.

"Excuse me?" said Ginny smiling and taking Neville's other arm. "I think you'll find you have some competition there."

Neville just looked totally bemused.

"Well, I suppose I could share him," quipped Luna.

Harry followed the three of them to the dining room while Ginny and Luna negotiated a complicated timeshare arrangement.

"Thanks for being here, Tonks," Harry whispered as he left the room. "Can I smuggle you any food?"

*

Harry got up early the next day and went downstairs to sit in the spacious living room before breakfast. He smiled remembering Neville's blustering trying to explain to his Grandmother why he had a young lady on each of his arms when they arrived for dinner. Ginny and Luna had kept up their torment right up until they left late into the evening, each competing to be the last to kiss Neville goodnight.

Harry was more concerned about what Ginny and Luna might do with regard to Hermione and Ron.

He couldn't settle and got up almost as soon as he'd sat down. He went over to the large glazed french doors that overlooked the expansive lawns and walked out onto the stone patio. Closing the door quietly behind him, Harry walked forwards and sat down on the top step leading down to the lawn.

It was a cool but not uncomfortable morning. Harry could hear the chorus of birdsong beginning. The lush grass looked very wet from the morning dew.

Harry suddenly felt a prickling at the back of his neck. He turned to look. He couldn't see anyone but he remembered Tonks and her invisibility cloak from yesterday.

"Good morning," Harry said casually to the morning.

"Morning, Potter," said a deep growling voice. "How did you know I was here?"

"Just a feeling," said Harry with a shrug.

"You do know it's freezing out here, don't you? And my leg plays me up something rotten on these cold mornings."

"Do you want me to go back inside, Moody?"

"I wouldn't dream of asking," replied Moody, "but I think you have a visitor."

Harry got up at once and went back inside. As the warm moist air hit his face his spectacles misted up at once. He removed them and hurriedly wiped them using his shirt before placing them back on.

A fire had been started in the hearth. Harry realised someone had just arrived by floo, or at least tried to call here.

He approached the fireplace and was startled to find Hermione sitting in a high-backed chair in front of the fire.

"Hermione, Hi," he gushed with a smile.

She looked up at him coolly and replied, "Hello, Harry," without smiling back. His smile faltered.

"Is anything the matter?"

"That's what I was going to ask you, actually."

Harry kneeled down on the hearthrug and looked up at Hermione. She was staring into the fire looking quite lost in thought.

"Um, how did you find me?"

"Mrs Weasley called at the Lovegood's late yesterday afternoon and found that Ginny and Luna were out visiting Neville. Mrs Weasley has been quite beside herself with worry about you, but when Ginny came back I realised she was only pretending to be worried. It was obvious she had been in contact with you. I assumed you were here or that Neville knew where you were."

"Oh."

"Do you trust me, Harry?"

"Yes, of course I do," he replied at once.

"Why did you stop writing to me?"

"I couldn't put what I wanted to say in a letter," he replied honestly.

"What did you want to say?"

"I can't say. Because I promised I wouldn't say."

"Is that why you're hiding here? So you wouldn't have to talk to me?" she said bitterly.

Harry sighed deeply.

"I was so looking forward to going to the Burrow, Hermione. I was especially looking forward to seeing you."

"So what happened, then?"

"I got another letter from Ron and I decided I needed a while to think about some of the things he said before I saw either of you again."

"Ron wrote to you?" she asked with some surprise. "What did he say that was such a problem?"

"Yes. Sorry, I assumed you knew. Ron's news wasn't the problem. Hermione, please believe me. If you and Ron can find happiness together, no one will be more pleased than me. But I realised that my relationship to you both would have to change. That's what I needed time to evaluate. I was scared that if I let my feelings show, I might lose you both as friends."

Hermione wiped a tear away and sniffed.

Harry held out his arms and said gently, "Come here." Hermione pushed herself forward and they enveloped themselves in a hug. After a while, Hermione gave a single deep breath before pulling away from him. Harry's knees were by this time screaming in pain, but he had been determined to comfort his friend.

"Do you want to sit down?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," he admitted.

They made themselves comfortable on the large sofa nearby.

"I was so angry with Ron," began Hermione. "If I'd known he'd written to you about it I'd have been even angrier. He's been bombarding me with owls ever since I got home. The first one was actually quite sweet, really. When I answered, I honestly didn't know what I wanted. The problem was, Ron took my non-committed response to be a definite yes. After his next letter I wrote back saying I wasn't sure I wanted a relationship right now and that we could discuss it when we met at the Burrow.

"Unfortunately Pigwidgeon kept coming. It was like my opinion of the matter didn't count. To be honest the more ardent Ron's letters became, the more cool I was to the whole thing. My arrival at the Burrow was quite the most ghastly social experience I can ever remember. Ginny was at Luna's and Mrs Weasley made herself scarce after welcoming me to the family. I spent the whole day wrestling Ron and trying to make myself understood.

"The next day was even worse. You had decided not to turn up and Ginny spent the day at Luna's again. If Mrs Weasley hadn't been so upset, I'd have left then. I was getting pretty tired of Ron by now. He thought he had a licence not only to take not a blind bit of notice of anything I said, but also - well - put his hands where they were not welcome."

Harry felt an indignant anger rise through him, mixed with shame.

"I'm sorry, Hermione, I really am," he said. "I should have been there for you. Perhaps I should go over to the Burrow and have a few words with Ron."

"No, Harry, that won't be necessary. I've dealt with Ron."

"Luna mentioned seeing both of you in the garden."

"Um, yes. Unfortunately, I think she may have got the wrong impression. I had, er, pegged Ron out on the lawn and I was impressing upon him the respectful way he should treat his acquaintances."

"You pegged him out?"

"Well, yes. I told you his hands were everywhere and that seemed the best way to deal with him. He was far less trouble after I'd got him spread-eagled, anyway."

"So, has Ron learned his lesson?"

"I doubt it. Luna offered to peg him out again last night and he was quite enthusiastic about it."

Harry snorted and took hold of Hermione's hand.

"I owe you an apology," Harry began, "and there are some things I'd like to tell you."

At that moment the flames in the fireplace flared up and turned bright green. A letter flew out of the fire and was preceded by a small popping sound.

Harry picked up the letter that had landed on the rug. It was addressed to him. Harry quickly opened the message and read it. Smiling, he handed the note to Hermione.

Dear Harry,

Ronald is beginning to realise the error of his ways, although it's been a long night.

Ginny said she will follow Hermione and she should be joining you for breakfast too. You know, I think Ginny may be jealous of Neville and I?

Ask Neville if you can use the Quiet Room again and tell Hermione everything.

Ronald and I will join you for lunch, although I don't think he should be troubled by any additional news today. You can tell him later when he's fully recovered.

Everyone is expected back at the Burrow for dinner this evening. Mrs Weasley will not take no for an answer.

See you later,

Love,

Luna

Mrs Longbottom came into the room and smiled seeing Harry and Hermione.

"Ah, there you are," she said brightly. Come and join us for breakfast, won't you?"

"Thanks, Mrs Longbottom, we'll be along in a moment," said Harry.

Mrs Longbottom turned and went back to the kitchen while Hermione hurriedly tidied her hair and wiped her face using Harry's handkerchief.

Harry smiled and whispered, "You look fine, Hermione," as he stood and offered her his hand.

The delicious smell of a cooked breakfast met them as they left the room.

"Ah, breakfast. I'm starving," growled Moody from somewhere behind them. "Couldn't grab me a couple of sausages, could you Potter?"

"Sure," said Harry smiling at Hermione's mortified expression.

END