Unofficial Portkey Archive

Four Colours by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Four Colours

jardyn39

Four Colours by Jardyn39

Harry Potter stared at the flashing score emblazoned on the large television as Ginny and Hermione did their now customary victory dance around the living room at Number Four Privet Drive.

He glanced over to Ron who hadn't yet realised the game was over.

The individual scores on the screen showed that Ron might not have been the best person to be paired with. He spent most of the game not actually understanding which quarter of the screen he was supposed to be playing in and tended to fall off cliffs when he wasn't providing an easy target for their opponents.

Hermione, being the only one to bother reading the instructions, had more or less given up playing and preferred to direct Ginny who, with a psychotic zeal that was something of a shock to Harry, had utterly outplayed everyone else.

He looked around the darkened room, lit only by the flashes of the television set, and saw Neville standing quietly by the door.

"Here, Neville, you have another go," said Harry, smiling and getting up from the settee. He picked his way through the cables and game boxes strewn over the floor as he and Neville changed places.

Harry hesitated before going out into the kitchen to make some drinks and watched as the four of them began a new game, Neville trying to warn Ron of Ginny's relentless approach whilst keeping his own screen character out of trouble.

He had quite expected to be spending the day alone in the house. Instead, early that morning they had all arrived with Tonks carrying a large hamper brimmed full with delicious food prepared by Mrs Weasley.

Tonks had refused to say what she had done to lure the Dursleys out of the house this time, but from her expression, Harry assumed there would be trouble later. He wasn't going to let that worry him now though. He had thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Harry quietly slipped out of the room and went along the lobby into the brightly lit kitchen where he found Luna studying some of Hermione's puzzle books.

"Hi, Luna," he said warmly. "Like a drink? I'm making tea but there's coffee or chocolate if you'd prefer."

"Tea, please," she answered not looking up.

Harry smiled and filled the kettle. As he waited for it to boil, he thought back over the day.

Ron had brought his chess set and had challenged everyone to a small tournament. Although he won almost all of his matches easily, Ron's confidence and pride took a bit of a beating when, in the final, Luna had totally thrashed him. Harry felt this was in part due to the outlandish opening moves made by Luna, but probably more due to the vocal support of Ginny and Hermione during the match. He and Neville just couldn't compete in terms of volume.

Harry lined up six clean mugs on the worktop and placed some teabags in the large earthenware teapot, just as the kettle boiled. He poured the boiling water from the kettle and stirred before turning back to Luna.

"You're really getting good at those puzzles, Luna," said Harry.

"Well, I can do the logic ones and the word-searches," she mused, looking up with a smile, "but the celebrity crossword puzzle have me stumped."

Harry laughed gently.

"Has Ronald won anything yet?"

"No, but he's definitely improving," replied Harry as the sound of another victory dance reached them.

He glanced up at the kitchen wall clock. Tonks would be back soon.

"It's been a nice day," said Luna. He looked down at her and returned her smile.

"It has," he agreed.

*

Harry closed the bathroom door and returned back down the stairs. He was at the top of the stairs when he remembered he had been making teas for everyone.

Hermione was in the lobby peering through a crack in the living room door. Harry could see the flashes made by the television reflected in the doorframe. She closed the door quietly and turned.

"Harry!" she whispered, trying to recover from the start he'd given her.

"Sorry," he said with a guilty smile.

She grabbed his arm and dragged him into the kitchen, where he expected to be told off properly. As they passed the dining room, Harry saw Ron and Luna sitting engrossed a new game of chess.

When they arrived in the kitchen, Hermione released him and Harry saw there were four mugs of tea still on the worktop. He'd noticed that Luna and Ron had their drinks.

"I'll just take Neville and Ginny their teas," he said.

"No, they're okay. They've started a new game."

"Oh, do you want to go and watch?"

Hermione suddenly choked on the sip of tea she had just taken. Harry took her mug from her and at the same time handed her a tea towel.

She emerged, after a small coughing fit, very red and watery eyed.

"Are you okay?" a concerned Harry asked.

"Yes, thanks," she croaked. "Went down the wrong way. Perhaps we could stay here for a bit."

"Sure," said Harry, placing her drink down on the kitchen table and reaching for his own.

Harry sat down next to Hermione and watched as she dabbed her eye's, smiling to herself.

"I'm okay," she said eventually in response to his concerned look.

They sat quietly, taking sips of tea. Eventually, Hermione put her mug down and Harry waited for her to say something. She looked like she was trying to choose her words and was having difficulties.

Harry put his mug gently down on the table and placed his hand over Hermione's.

She immediately placed her other hand on his and sighed heavily, smiling at him.

Harry heard a click. He recognised it as the dining room door closing, and immediately relaxed but he caught Hermione's concerned expression.

"Sorry, but I tend to be a bit jumpy these days," he explained with a smile.

His words didn't seem to help her unease.

"Hey, come on," he whispered. "Today was a wonderful surprise."

"You shouldn't have to stay here," said Hermione, looking down.

"Right now, there's nowhere else I'd rather be," he said honestly.

"I keep having these dreams," she said in a whisper. "About Sirius," she added.

Harry brought his other hand up and placed it on hers.

"It'll get better, just give it time."

She sighed again and looked up.

"I feel I should be the one comforting you, not the other way around."

"You are, Hermione. Just by being here."

*

Tonks' unmistakable shriek of laughter echoed loudly through the house. It sounded like she had Apparated into the living room.

She entered the kitchen still laughing, but not before putting her head round the dining room door and saying something Harry didn't quite catch.

Harry and Hermione hadn't moved from the kitchen table and, perhaps for the first time, Harry was distinctly annoyed with Tonks. He looked up at the clock and realised she wasn't early, as he'd first thought. Instead, she'd given them nearly an hour extra.

"We'd better hurry," she said brightly, raising her wand. Instantly, all of the debris from the day flew into the hamper leaving the kitchen clean and tidy again.

"I'll help tidy the living room," she added. "Is upstairs okay?"

"Yes," replied Harry getting up. "We'll get the coats. They are on my bed."

He pulled Hermione to her feet and led her upstairs. She gave him a curious look but for once didn't argue.

They reached the landing at the top of the stairs when Harry turned to face Hermione. He was about to speak when they heard, "Come on you two. It's a good job I haven't got time to clear up after or I'd put a hose on you."

Harry was too intent on speaking with Hermione privately to bother about what Tonks was going on about.

"Come in here a moment," he said quietly, leading Hermione into his bedroom. He pushed the door ajar and explained, "I'm sorry, but I really wanted to say something to you in private."

Hermione nodded in the half light. He realised he was still holding her hand. He took her other hand in his as well and stepped closer.

"I never imagined it would be this way," he whispered, "but I promised myself I would try and say something when I had the chance. There isn't time tonight to say everything I want to, but maybe we can do that another time."

Knowing he was out of time, he lent down and kissed her lightly and tentatively. It was a moment before he realised she was kissing him back.

"Come on! Where have you got to?" shouted Tonks from almost right outside the bedroom door.

They broke apart.

Without saying a word, Hermione stepped aside and gathered the coats and cloaks from his bed. Harry opened the door to see Tonks descending back down the stairs.

Hermione exited and made to follow. Her face was quite expressionless until she placed a foot on the top tread. She turned back to him, a wide smile growing on her face. He smiled back with relief and let go the breath he'd been holding.

They were going to be okay.

Hermione continued back down the stairs and handed out everybody's things. Harry followed.

There was only time for hurried goodbyes with Tonks chivvying everyone out of the house. Hermione was back to her bright self but the other four looked as nettled to be leaving as Harry felt.

As they traipsed off down the road, Harry waved them a final goodbye. Only when they were out of sight did he close the front door.

He checked the living room and gathered together Dudley's console and games. He made sure the television was set up as before, even left on the same channel and hurried upstairs to return Dudley's things. Satisfied everything looked undisturbed, he re-locked Dudley's door with his key.

He came back down to the kitchen and washed up the remaining mugs at the sink. He didn't know how much time he would have, and he was just checking the clock again when he heard his Aunt and Uncle come through the front door.

Harry quickly scanned the kitchen. This room was fine. He knew they hadn't been in the dining room much, so it was probably fine too. He put the kettle on and suddenly saw an envelope that had been left on the kitchen table.

He dived for it just as his Uncle entered the room. Harry secreted the envelope in his back pocket, straightened up and asked casually, "Had a good day?"

*

As he climbed the stairs, Harry felt amazement that he hadn't been punished. It appeared that he was still with them, neither Uncle Vernon nor Aunt Petunia associated their day trip as anything to do with, "his lot."

Harry hadn't liked to make too many enquiries, but it seemed they had been driving all day. They had received a free £100 voucher to spend at a store. When they got there, the store apologised but said the offer had been withdrawn due to technical problems. As compensation they could collect two £100 vouchers from the Service counter. These vouchers were to be spent in another store some distance away and would, unfortunately, expire that very day. This happened several times until, at last, they were invited to exchange all their vouchers for an evening meal at a very good restaurant.

He sat on the edge of his bed and Hedwig flew down to him. He stroked her absently, remembering the day.

"Well, at least I didn't blow things completely, Hedwig," he said gently, "even if I didn't say what I didn't know how to say, if you know what I mean."

She nibbled his ear affectionately and then flew out to begin her evening hunt.

Harry ruffled his hair and then remembered the envelope. He pulled it out of his back pocket. Folded and looking creased, the envelope was looking a little worse for wear. He read his name on the front and tore it open at once.

Inside was a birthday card from Hermione, with the whole of the back and most of the inside covered in her small, neat handwriting. She had written the card using at least four different coloured inks. He realised it must have taken her hours to write by hand. Most individual words were made up of different colours. He stared at the only blank area on the inside of the card. It was heart shaped.

Trying not to take his eyes of the card, he laid back over his bedcovers and reached out to turn on his bedside lamp. However, he soon found himself looking into the darkness, groping for the cord switch. He glanced back at the card in the light and suddenly froze. The coloured inks formed patterns that were words themselves. Three words, to be precise, that ran diagonally across the card. They stood out when he held the card at an angle.

Curious, he tilted the card the other way. Harry grinned to himself with delight, as this time a simple drawn outline became visible in the colours.

Harry tilted the card back and read it properly. At the very end of the card, Hermione had admitted that this was not the first time she had prepared a second birthday card for him. She would carry it with her always in the hope that she might one-day deliver it.

Harry read the card over and over, late into the night. After every sentence his eyes would dart back to re-read the three diagonal words formed by the colours.

He finally fell asleep, dreaming of Hermione reading her card to him out loud. After every sentence she would pause and whisper, "I love you."

END