Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Hunter by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Hunter

jardyn39

The Hunter

by Jardyn39

Chapter 1

Harry Potter tried to push himself away from the sharp corners of the wall shelves he had just been thrown against. He could barely breath.

Losing his balance, he reached out behind him but only succeeded in bringing down more shelves. He collapsed in a heap on the floor, barely aware of the shower of assorted items falling about him. A small heavy box, dislodged from a high shelf, fell and hit him painfully on the side of his head.

Presently, Harry began to come back to himself. He looked down and realised his hands were shaking violently.

Flashes of what had just happened shot through his mind.

Harry forced himself to move. He slowly crawled over to a figure sprawled about six feet from him. Grabbing a wrist, Harry sighed with relief when he felt a pulse. He was only knocked out.

Harry tried to get up but his legs were shaking badly. Instead he half crawled to the other figure. The young man was alive, but barely. His breathing was shallow and erratic. There was also a lot of blood and he looked very pale.

As the enormity of what had just happened began to strike him, he heard a low groan. The shopkeeper was regaining consciousness.

Harry crawled back and said, "It's okay. Lie still until help comes."

As he said the words, Harry wondered where help would indeed come from. He wasn't sure whether or not he should call the Muggle authorities. He hoped that the Ministry would somehow know something had happened and attend. Better still, maybe the Order would have seen something happen.

Another groan from the shopkeeper made up Harry's mind for him. The shopkeeper was hurt and might be in need of medical attention. He didn't much care about the other one. Harry pulled himself up at the counter and reached for the wall mounted telephone.

He was about to dial when he realised the earpiece was speaking in a clear female voice.

"Ministry wizards are en route to your location and will be present shortly. Please do not call the Muggle emergency services unless there is immediate risk to life."

Harry replaced the telephone handset and wondered vaguely what the softest part of the debris strewn floor he should fall down on. His head was still ringing and he was beginning to distinguish parts of his arms, legs and torso that were injured. Previously he had just felt pain without knowing what parts were hurting.

As Harry stood supporting himself with both arms on the counter, there was a loud buzzing and the door to the tiny corner shop opened.

In breezed a middle aged man, whistling as if he hadn't a care in the world. He grabbed a newspaper and made his way to the counter to pay. We was about to be tempted into buying an item of confectionery, when he appeared to realise something wasn't quite right.

He stopped to consider the scene, glancing first to Harry before turning to view properly the cloaked, now very still, figure draped across the freezer cabinet in the centre of the small shop. He turned back to Harry and considered him a moment.

"You alright, lad?" he asked in a deep commanding voice.

"I think the shopkeeper may be hurt," Harry managed to say.

The man dropped his paper at once and walked around the counter. Harry's legs were shaking violently at this point.

"Here, let me help you sit down. The floor's the best place for you right now and I'll be able to check on our friend here," he said holding an arm out. Harry lent heavily on the man's shoulder as he helped him get down from the counter.

As Harry watched the man check on the shopkeeper, telling him to lie still until the ambulance arrived, it occurred to Harry that this man was no stranger to this sort of thing. He remained calm and clearly knew First Aid.

He stepped over Harry and momentarily went out into the back of the shop. He emerged carrying a blanket which he draped over the shopkeeper giving him gentle words of encouragement.

"Is the boy alright?" Harry heard the shopkeeper ask in a whisper. Harry marvelled that the shopkeeper should be concerned for him considering how hurt he was himself and how much damage had been done to his shop.

"He'll be fine," said the man, "don't worry."

Harry heard a screech of tyres from outside. As he heard the buzzer sound again, he passed out.

Chapter 2

Harry woke with a splitting headache. He realised it was sometime during the day but it was a while before he opened his eyes properly. He appeared to be in a hospital ward. The bed to his left had the green privacy curtains drawn, and this obscured the ward entrance. The bed on his other side was empty but looked occupied.

For a long while, Harry just lay still. He realised he wasn't in St Mungos. This was a Muggle hospital and this was confirmed by the beeps of equipment in use somewhere.

Harry pushed himself up to get a better view. His side ached terribly, and caught his breath while the stabbing pain subsided.

A male nurse was joking with someone opposite and an elderly looking patient shuffled past the end of Harry's bed and propped himself on the next bed.

"Had a good sleep?" he asked smiling. "You've missed lunch again."

Harry groped around for his glasses. At that moment a nurse came over and checked Harry's condition. She was quickly followed by a doctor and an administrator who came to take his details.

Harry felt totally exhausted by all the activity and he soon fell into another deep sleep.

*

Harry felt much better the next day. He was desperate to get up and try and make contact with someone, not that he was sure who or even how. He soon realised he wasn't in a local hospital.

He checked the side cabinet but he found nothing. He recalled that the only money he'd been carrying was the change Uncle Vernon had given him to buy the papers with. Maybe he'd dropped it in the confusion? If he still had the money he might have been able to make a phone call.

There was no money. In fact, he had no personal possessions at all.

He suddenly felt panicked. His wand was missing. He had been carrying his wand at the time, although he hadn't had time to use it.

Harry straightened up, wondering how he was going to contact someone, and realised there was someone standing at the foot of his bed observing him closely. Harry looked at him curiously, feeling he knew this man from somewhere.

"Good morning," the man said with a smile.

As soon as he did so, Harry recognised him as the man in the shop.

"Mr Potter, isn't it?" he asked.

Harry nodded and said, "Call me Harry."

"My name is Chief Inspector Hammond, I'm a Policeman."

"How's the shopkeeper?" asked Harry, "The nurses didn't know anything."

"He's fine," he replied smiling, "just a little shaken."

Harry nodded.

"Would you mind if we had a little chat?" he asked.

"Of course not," Harry replied. "Um, you don't happen to know where my things are, do you? I was hoping to call my family and let them know I'm alright. I haven't any money for the phone call, though."

"Wait a moment. There's some public phones just outside. Let me ask the nurse if it's okay."

He returned shortly after with a wheelchair.

He parked Harry next to the phone booths in the spacious lobby and gave him a bright green phone card to use while he went and got them both hot drinks from a vending machine.

Harry thanked him and dialled. His Uncle Vernon answered the phone. It was neither a long nor a pleasant conversation.

Placing the handset back in place, Harry offered to return the card to Hammond. He couldn't remember any other phone numbers.

"No, Harry, you keep that in case you want to make another call," he said smiling. "Actually, I'm sure the nurses would have helped out, especially to contact your family."

He handed Harry both plastic cups and wheeled him into the vacant TV room to the side. Hammond immediately went over and turned the volume of the blaring television down. He returned to take his drink from Harry and sat down.

"That's better," he said, taking a slurp of the hot drink.

At almost the same time both he and Harry made, "Urgh," noises as they tasted their drinks.

"Oh well, at least it's warm and wet," said the Inspector.

He looked at Harry carefully and said, "We only found out yesterday who you were since you weren't carrying any means of identification. Now as you are under sixteen, you should really have a parent or guardian present when I speak to you. Would you mind if we spoke informally first, though?"

"No, not at all."

"The hospital informed your family where you were yesterday, as soon as they got your details. I'm informed they haven't been to see you yet, although they were told they didn't need to wait for visiting time. From the short length of that call, I somehow doubt if you will see them here soon. Is there anything I should be concerned about, Harry?"

"No, it's just their way," Harry said quietly.

Hammond didn't look convinced but didn't pursue it further.

"I just happened to be passing on the day it happened. I actually work for a neighbouring constabulary but had been interviewing a witness. I wouldn't normally be involved in this kind of incident except I had an interest and there are a number of very interesting circumstances."

Harry didn't react.

"Did you know your assailant?"

"No," Harry replied honestly, glad he didn't appear to be accused of anything.

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"Some of it isn't very clear," Harry gave as a preamble. "My Uncle sent me out to buy him some newspapers. I walked around to the papershop. I went in and picked up the papers. It took me a while to find the ones he wanted and then I had to check that I had enough money. He'd given me the exact amount, though. I went to pay when the shopkeeper shouted to 'Look out'. I must have been hit because I fell against the side counter. I heard the shopkeeper shouting and then falling. I got pushed against the back shelves and that's when it gets fuzzy. I vaguely remember checking on the shopkeeper and you coming into the shop. I think there was also a screech of tyres."

"That matches the shopkeeper's second account," commented Hammond.

"Second account?"

"Yes. Curiously, he told me a slightly different version when I went with him in the ambulance. Now he swears he only ever told me one version."

Harry realised at once that the shopkeeper's memory must have been modified at some point. Harry waited for the next question. He knew he would have to be careful.

"Did you hear the assailant enter the shop? The buzzer should have sounded."

"No, not at all. I don't remember the buzzer, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure he wasn't there when I went in and I didn't see him outside."

"I'm having some trouble establishing a motive for the attack. If he wanted to rob the shop, why didn't he wait for you to leave? It would appear that he wanted to attack you. Can you think why someone would want to attack you?"

"No," said Harry, taking care to avoid Hammond's eye.

"There are number of other curious matters. One concerns the means of the attack. Unfortunately the CCTV wasn't working, but from the debris it looks like you were thrown with considerable force. The second time you must have flown over eight feet. We have no idea how one man could have done that. He also attacked the shopkeeper from several feet away, but we can't see how. We know the shopkeeper stayed behind the counter the whole time and the attacker didn't get past the freezer."

Harry assumed an interested but bemused expression.

"However, the most curious matter concerns what happened to the assailant. Do you remember how he sustained his injuries?"

"I think I saw something sticking out of his back," replied Harry.

"Indeed. He looked like he was facing you when he got hit from behind. It was a child's fishing net. You may know there's a local pond that's popular and the shop keeps a small stock in the school holidays. He appears to have been speared by one. I've been trying to duplicate the feat without success. The end is blunted and even has a bung to prevent injury. Whenever I try to stab anything with any force, the rod part just bends or breaks. The force required to almost kill someone must have been quite extraordinary."

"Could the bung have come off?" asked Harry, immediately regretting he'd said anything. This was a question that would just raise more questions. It was as if the fact that the rod had flown and hit the man with sufficient force by an unseen hand wasn't really an issue.

"To tell the truth," said the Inspector, "I don't have the bung. I assume it's still buried deep within the body. I say body, but that's just my assumption. He looked fatally injured, but he was alive when he was taken away. According to the hospital staff where he was taken, he arrived but then they lost him."

"How do you mislay a patient?" asked Harry.

"It looks like there was a clerical error since I doubt he got up and left. Right now, I don't have a body. That means no inquest. I don't even have a death certificate, which means my investigation will pretty much come to a stop. Actually, it already has. I just wanted to know if you could shed any light on some of the mystery."

"I'm sorry," said Harry, wishing he could confide in Hammond.

"Well, the shopkeeper is happy anyway. He told me yesterday, his insurers have agreed a generous payout. I told him to spend it installing a proper CCTV system, but I think he had some more shelving in mind."

Harry smiled and nodded, and as he did so noticed a shape flash past cross the window outside.

Harry immediately turned and wheeled himself over to the windows.

"Can we get these windows open?" asked Harry.

"I'm not sure we should," said Hammond looking doubtful.

Harry grabbed a window handle and pulled himself to his feet, groaning with the pain of his exertions. The metal window was painted shut. He lifted both the handles and pushed open the casement with a crack followed by a creaking sound. To Harry's frustration, the top hung window only opened a few inches. It was enough though.

With extraordinary skill, a while snowy owl flew up through the open window and settled on Harry's outstretched arm.

"Hedwig!" cried Harry, "Clever girl!"

Hammond looked quite incredulous. He had never seen anything like it. Harry sat heavily down again and took a moment to recover.

Hedwig look agitated to see him in obvious discomfort but he smiled warmly and stroked her gently, whispering, "I'm fine now you're here."

"Inspector, do you have a pen and paper I could borrow?"

"Er, yes, I suppose," he replied handing him his notebook. Harry tore out a sheet from the back and wrote a quick message telling where he was and asking someone from the Order to call in.

"Hedwig, this is urgent. Please take this to Dumbledore or a member of the Order. Try Sirius' first, okay?"

Hedwig hooted softly and took off. She did a quick circuit around the room and then dived out of the open window. Harry smiled and thought she was probably showing off a little. Still, it had been her that found him.

Harry closed the window, wondering what he could say to Hammond.

"I'll be okay, now," said Harry smiling, handing the Inspector back his notepad.

"Mmm," said the Inspector. "I wanted to give you a couple of things. Firstly, here is my card. It also has the local police station number on it. Keep it with you and call me if you have any further difficulties."

"Thanks, but hopefully nobody else will attack me."

"Actually, I was thinking more of your Uncle," replied the Inspector seriously. "As far as further attacks go, one never knows, does one? If I were you I would assume there was someone planning to attack again."

He stood and reached into his pocket.

"You wouldn't happen to know what these are? The shopkeeper found both of these under all the debris."

Harry's face lit up seeing his wand.

"That one's mine," he said reaching for it.

"And this one?"

"I, er," struggled Harry.

"I rather assumed it belonged to your assailant. Perhaps you might like it as a souvenir?"

"Um, thanks," said Harry.

"Harry?"

They both looked up to see Remus Lupin walking into the room. He was smartly dressed in a casual Muggle suit. He looked tired and concerned.

"Are you alright? We've been worried."

"I'm fine. This is Inspector Hammond. He's a policeman."

"How do you do?" said Lupin shaking hands. "My name is Remus Lupin. I'm a friend of Harry's late parents. We've been looking for him for a few days. Unfortunately, his Uncle hasn't been too co-operative with our efforts."

Harry watched as Hammond's experienced observation took in the scars on Lupin's face, the shoes that didn't quite match and the handle of his wand projecting from a pocket.

"I see that those sticks are becoming something of a fashion," Hammond said calmly.

"Sticks?" wondered Lupin aloud. Harry wasn't sure if Lupin was acting or genuinely confused by this statement.

"Inspector Hammond has been kind enough to help me," said Harry. "He was just telling me that his investigation has come to an end through lack of a body. I would like to confide in him."

"Body? What body?" said Lupin sounding quite shocked.

Harry was quite sure Lupin had no idea what had happened now.

"Inspector, is there somewhere the three of us could talk in complete privacy?" asked Harry. "We mustn't be seen while we talk either."

"Wait here," said the Inspector. "I'll tell the nurse I'm going to interview you in one of the old Admin meeting rooms."

He hurried away.

"Are you sure we can trust him, Harry?" asked Lupin urgently. "I came here with every intention of just taking you away."

"How did Hedwig find you so quickly?" asked Harry. "She's only just left."

"She didn't. The Grangers found out where you were. They've been phoning around everywhere. The problem is you appeared to have been taken straight here because there was a bed available. This isn't very local and there were no reports to go on."

"The hospital staff had no means to identify me until I woke up and told them who I was. I don't think they knew how old I was either, which is why I ended up in this ward."

"We've been hoping you would perform some magic so the Ministry might detect you."

"Hammond only gave me back my wand just now," said Harry.

Chapter 3

Lupin wheeled Harry into the small consulting room. Hammond followed and closed the door behind him. The room had a small hand wash basin, an old metal table and two chairs. Harry could see the outline where cabinets had been removed and screw holes over the walls.

"Sorry, but this is the best I could do," said Hammond. "The nurse said I wasn't to take you off the ward and I really didn't want to argue with her. These rooms are down for refurbishment shortly, so they aren't being used, as you can see."

Harry smiled, knowing exactly which nurse Hammond hadn't wanted to argue with.

When Lupin and Hammond were seated, Harry began.

"The first thing I have to ask," he said, "is that you must never tell anyone what I am about to tell you. It's in your own interests as much as ours. I will be breaking the law telling you and you would be considered quite mad by anyone you repeated this to. What I'm going to say is for you only. Nothing must ever go into any report."

"Alright," said the Inspector, "but if I have evidence of a crime I will act upon it."

"Fair enough," said Lupin.

"Okay, first of all I should tell both of you what happened in the shop," said Harry quietly. "As I told you, I had picked up the papers and I had almost got to the counter to pay for them. I was fumbling with the change when I heard a loud pop behind me. I knew at once what it was but before I could turn around, he'd blasted me into that side counter. I tried to shout at the shopkeeper to get down but he was hit by a stunner. I then got hit again and that's when I got thrown onto the back shelves. He advanced on me and that's when I got him from behind with that rod. It was just shear luck that I knew it was there."

"Hang on," said Hammond. "I need you to explain some things. You told me before the buzzer didn't go off."

"It didn't. He Apparated into the shop," answered Harry. "We'll explain that in a moment," he added seeing the Inspector's expression.

"What's a stunner? We found no evidence of a weapon discharge or anything."

"Would you mind showing the Inspector?" asked Harry. "Aim at that old paper basket."

Lupin took out his wand and said, "Stupify!"

A red flash erupted from the tip of Lupin's wand and the metal basket jumped, bouncing noisily against the two walls in the corner it landed in.

"Next question?" asked Harry, grinning at Hammond's shocked expression.

The Inspector recovered quickly and asked, "Is that what hit you?"

"No. I was hit by a Reductor curse both times," said Harry. "Strong ones too."

"But how come you weren't killed?" asked Lupin.

Harry explained for the benefit of Hammond too.

"A stunning spell will knock a person out for a while but does no permanent physical damage. A Reductor curse is designed to cut and burn through things. Smaller objects can be smashed. The reason I didn't get hurt by the curse is that I managed to put up a shield charm in time. I didn't use my wand though. I just thought, 'Protego,' and the direction I thought the curse was coming from."

"So, your most of injuries were from when you hit the shelves and wall rather than from the curse," concluded Lupin.

"Tell me about the net," demanded the Inspector.

"I summoned the rod to me," answered Harry sadly. "I knew it was directly behind him. I just thought, 'Accio,' and it came straight to me. I just wanted to distract him a moment while I found my wand. I suppose I did want to hurt him though."

Lupin pointed his wand at the battered waste paper bin and muttered, "Accio!"

It flew instantly into his hands. He caught it and placed it on the desk in front of Hammond.

Hammond was still for a moment.

"So, it the rod was being pulled and not pushed, that is why it didn't break," he said.

Harry nodded.

"Even so, the force required to spear someone with a blunt stick must have been incredible."

"I didn't have time to control myself," Harry said sadly. "I really didn't want to kill him."

Lupin placed a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"We aren't sure you did, Harry. Was he a Death Eater?" Lupin asked gently.

"I don't know. He wore a dark cloak but he wasn't wearing a mask or anything."

"Who took him?" asked Hammond.

"Well, I assumed it was either the Ministry or the Order," said Harry.

"It was neither," said Lupin emphatically. "But the Ministry were alerted and cleaned up the shop after the ambulances had gone."

"So who modified the shopkeeper's memory?" asked Harry.

"I don't know," answered Lupin. "But I'm sure it wasn't the Ministry."

"Why didn't they know I'd done underage magic at the shop?" asked Harry.

"They knew something was amiss, though. I suspect that wandless magic is less easy to detect. You also did it away from home."

They stopped talking to see Hammond considering them both carefully.

Harry realised he must be bursting with questions, but he was surprised by his first.

"Is Harry in danger?" Hammond asked Lupin.

"He has been at risk since he was born, but the danger to Harry has never been greater than it is now," said Lupin sombrely.

"Who is he in danger from?"

"A group that has proved itself capable of extraordinary cruelty. Their leader has targeted Harry."

"Why would he do that?"

"The simple answer is that he is afraid of Harry. Even I don't know all the details and although I know Harry knows more than me, I suspect even he doesn't know everything yet."

"The assailant couldn't be identified. We didn't have time to take finger prints. Even the scene of crime reports and evidence is missing. That was why the local station had no details when you enquired about Harry. The report I'd left had gone."

"I doubt he would have been known to you, anyway," said Lupin with a smile. "His group have proved most adept at hiding or concealing their true loyalties."

"Why isn't Harry better protected?"

"He does have protection but it is kept as unobtrusive as possible. This means that there are periods when he manages to give us the slip. Sometimes this happens by accident."

"I told Tonks where I was going," said Harry. "I haven't tried to give you the slip for ages."

Lupin smiled and nodded.

"We know. Tonks was in her old lady disguise and unfortunately a kind person offered to escort her across the road. By the time she'd got there you'd gone into the shop."

"You mean, that ungrateful old cow was your protection?" exclaimed Hammond. "It was me that took her across the road. You really shouldn't rely on a ninety year old woman you know?"

Harry and Lupin laughed. Hammond obviously didn't think it was funny.

"She's a little younger than ninety," explained Lupin.

"Look," said Hammond leaning forward, "let me make some calls. With police protection, Harry will be far better of until we catch these people. We can even provide new identities if necessary."

Lupin and Harry both shook their heads.

"I didn't explain how he got into the shop, did I?" said Harry. "Is anyone from the Order close?"

"Arthur's outside," said Lupin. He pointed his wand towards the high frosted window and a silver shape flew out. It became invisible as soon as it hit the direct sunlight. A moment later Arthur Weasley Apparated into the room with a soft pop.

"Hello," he said brightly.

Hammond was staring at him in shock.

"That is why conventional security won't work," Harry said gently.

Hammond nodded slightly but recovered quickly, asking, "What did you mean when you said about underage magic?"

"Well," explained Lupin, "until a young person is of age, that is seventeen, they are not permitted to perform magic outside school. You see, Harry's still learning. He has a way to go before he'll be a qualified Wizard."

"It seems to me that the sensible to thing to do would be either to get Harry permission to do magic now or get him back to school. At least them he'd be able to defend himself properly."

"Unfortunately," said Arthur, "the authorities that decide such matters aren't prepared to be sensible at this time. The Minister has refused to give Harry any special treatment."

"So why not send him back to school, then?"

"My Aunt's house is the safest place for me," answered Harry, "even if I'm not supposed to do magic."

Lupin and Mr Weasley looked at him and it was obvious they didn't know why he couldn't return to school early either.

"You know," said Harry smiling at Hammond, "you're taking all this very well. I only found out on my eleventh birthday when a half-giant came to tell me."

Hammond sighed and said, "Well, at least I know the truth of what happened. Thank you for that. You've taken quite a risk telling me. I'll keep your secrets but I'm also going to have patrols take a detour past your house for the rest of the school holidays. I should also give social services a call."

"Please don't do that," asked Harry. "Please believe me when I say it would not be in my best interests. I can't go into details."

Hammond did not look comfortable with this at all.

"If you cannot agree," said Lupin gently, "then steps can be taken."

"Are you threatening me?" bristled Hammond.

"No," said Harry quickly. "Remember the shopkeeper? His memory was modified so he remembered differently. If keeping what we have told you to yourself is going to make you upset or anxious, then we can arrange to have your memory modified as well. You wouldn't remember a thing about it."

Hammond calmed.

"I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary," continued Harry. "When I woke up I realised there was no-one I could contact to help me."

"He does manage to spend an extraordinary amount of time in hospital, you know?" said Lupin smiling.

"And," added Arthur, "when he's not in hospital being patched up he's usually in trouble somewhere."

Harry rolled his eyes and at last Hammond smiled back.

"The nurse said the Doctors were going to see how you were doing tomorrow morning. They will decide then how long you'll stay in for, but when you are ready to leave give me a phone call and I'll collect you. I'm going to introduce myself properly to your Uncle."

"You won't be here for long, Harry," promised Lupin. "Madame Pomfrey will pay you a visit tonight and sort you out. Hopefully the Doctors will discharge you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? He can barely breath!" exclaimed Hammond.

Chapter 4

Harry was delighted when Hermione and her parents appeared at visiting time the next day. Fortunately, Madame Pomfrey had visited in the early hours of the morning so Hermione's bone crushing hug didn't do too much damage.

"Hermione! His injuries!" cried Mrs Granger as Harry let out a wince.

Hermione released her grip at once at pulled back with a horrified look on her face. She hit him as soon as she saw his grin appear.

"It's okay," he said quietly, "Madam Pomfrey sorted me last night. Mind you," he added, "I might need her to come back again now."

Mr and Mrs Granger smiled as Hermione tried to hit Harry again.

Hermione made herself comfortable perched on the side of Harry's bed and her parents took seats on the other side of him.

"Thanks for coming," he told them. "I'm fine, really. Hopefully the Doctors will discharge me soon. I was supposed to see them again this morning but they've been a bit busy. It's almost as if Madam Pomfrey has worked her magic down the entire ward."

The Grangers nodded in understanding and looked over to the confused medical staff who were arguing and comparing medical notes.

"We were so worried," said Hermione. "Mum and Dad called everywhere trying to find you."

"Thanks for finding me," said Harry smiling at Mr and Mrs Granger. "I tried calling home when I woke up but that didn't help much."

Harry glanced back to Hermione. He cheeks were reddening and he could see she was beginning to cry.

He held out his hand towards hers and said gently, "I'm fine, Hermione. Really I am."

Hermione nodded and wiped her eyes. At the same time she grasped Harry's left hand and didn't let go. He was a little surprised by her actions but didn't try to remove his hand.

"Arthur told us what happened last night," said Mr Granger.

Harry nodded and said, "He must have had a long day. He came with Madam Pomfrey. I don't think he could resist all the equipment around here."

The Granger's smiled and nodded as Harry continued to chat. He was glad of some company. The morning had dragged slowly and made worse by his impatience to leave.

All too soon, a nurse came over and gently told the Granger's that visiting time was over. Hermione, who had been sitting holding Harry's hand, hadn't said a further word. Her parents got up and while Mr Granger shook Harry's hand goodbye, Mrs Granger came to the bed and gently touched Hermione on the shoulder.

Hermione released Harry's hand and stood up, not looking at Harry.

Mrs Granger then lent down and kissed Harry on his cheek.

"We're so glad you are alright," she said softly. "Call us to let us know what's happening. If they keep you in we'll visit again soon, but it won't be tomorrow."

Harry smiled and nodded. Mrs Granger rejoined her husband and they went over to the nurse sitting at a table along the ward to thank her and the staff for looking after Harry. It also looked like they were saying they weren't Harry's Uncle and Aunt and didn't know when they might visit him.

Harry looked up at Hermione. Her eyes were full of tears and she was still looking away from him.

He was about to say something when she swooped down and kissed him on the cheek, leaving his face wet with warm tears.

"I was so scared," she breathed into his ear.

"Hermione, I-" was all he managed to whisper before she was gone.

*

It was late afternoon before Harry was seen by the doctor again. In his troubled thoughts, he barely noticed the hours between then and the moment the Grangers had left.

The doctor checked him thoroughly and said that he would be discharged the next morning.

As the doctor left, the ward's most formidable nurse came through the curtains. Since he'd woken, the other nurses had fussed over him a little more than he was entirely comfortable with. He wasn't sure if it was because he was younger than they had assumed when he was admitted or the fact that his immediate family hadn't bothered to visit or even phone to enquire about his condition. This particular nurse, though, hadn't felt so inclined.

"The doctor said I could leave tomorrow morning," Harry said brightly.

She studied Harry carefully wearing a small frown.

"I can go, can't I?" said Harry, suddenly feeling unsure.

"I'm still a little concerned. You look like you've lost quite a bit of weight very recently. I would say you weren't exactly overweight before."

Harry's first reaction was one of indignation. What gave a woman wider than Hagrid the right to make comments on his weight? Then his indignation faded seeing the sincerity of concern in her face.

Harry nodded. It was true. He always lost weight in the summers through staying with the Dursleys. This summer, though, Harry hadn't had much appetite for even those meagre rations.

"I suppose I haven't felt like eating much, lately," he answered honestly.

"Can you think of a reason why?" she asked gently.

"Well, I lost my Godfather a few weeks ago," he said in almost a whisper.

The nurse reached out and placed her hand on his forearm, a simple show of compassion that caused Harry to screw his eyes up. He would not lose control here. He would not.

"What you need is time, understanding and a loving environment," she said gently.

"I have that," he said wiping his eyes, "just not from the people I live with. I'll be fine, honestly."

Chapter 5

The next morning Harry was dressed and eager to go. Inspector Hammond arrived mid-morning to take him home.

For one horrible moment, he thought the nurses weren't going to let him go when they saw the state of his clothes. They were the ones he'd arrived in and were tatty, worn and oversized before he got thrown around a shop.

Harry gave an enormous sigh of relief when the car door finally slammed shut and they drove off.

"I'm afraid we'll need to make a stop before we get you home," said Hammond. "I got such a telling off from that nurse. You wouldn't believe the foul language she used."

"No problem," said Harry, feeling better than he had since Hermione left.

The car journey took around three hours. Harry hadn't realised how far away from home he'd been. No wonder the Grangers couldn't find him.

Harry's thoughts returned to the same thing that had troubled him the day before.

He kept thinking of Hermione's reaction. How she'd grasped his hand and not let go. How she sat on his bed but wouldn't look at him. How she'd kissed him and left tears on his face. How she'd said, "I was so scared."

It was only at the moment she'd gone that he truly realised how upset she was. Maybe if he hadn't spent so long chatting to her parents he would have realised.

If he had realised, what would he have done?

Harry had hesitated when she left. At that moment he wanted nothing but hold her and comfort her. To reassure her that everything would be okay.

But he hadn't.

It wasn't just the speed at which she'd departed. Harry knew he really had no idea what to do nor what to say to her. That troubled him.

"Here we are," said Hammond, stirring Harry from his reverie.

To his astonishment, Harry realised they were driving into an official looking compound. Hammond waved at the security guard and drove through the open gates. Driving past some portable cabins, he parked in a space next to an odd assortment of vehicles.

"They let me park here, but I'm based over the road at the moment," said Hammond getting out of the car and retrieving a heavy looking suitcase from the boot.

A moment later they were walking back out through the heavy metal gates with a cheery wave at the guard. Instead of heading to the nearby pedestrian crossing, Hammond strode straight across the busy road. Harry hurried to keep up and noticed the muttering and hand gestures of the motorists they were inconveniencing. Harry assumed that, as they were directly outside a police station, they didn't want to make too much of it.

They entered through the heavy outer doors and into a lobby. Hammond jumped the queue and got Harry booked in as a visitor.

Harry's trepidation grew as he followed Hammond through the secure doors and up the stairs to his office where he immediately dumped his heavy case. Harry was about to read some of the framed certificates on the walls when Hammond interrupted him.

"Good grief, it's gone Two," he said looking at the wall clock. "Come on!"

Harry followed Hammond back down the stairs at a pace until they entered the canteen.

Hammond grabbed two trays and handed one to a confused looking Harry as they joined the end of the queue.

"I had to promise faithfully that you would have at least one decent meal before you were allowed to go home," explained Hammond with a smile.

Quite soon Harry was tucking into an enormous portion of Shepherd's Pie while Hammond ate his way through a fried breakfast.

Harry was, as usual, the subject of mild curiosity as they sat there. He knew he still looked a sight in the clothes he had on. It wasn't too much of a problem for him to ignore the other people in the canteen.

Gradually, the tables emptied and Hammond got them both cups of tea after spending some time trying to persuade Harry to have a dessert.

"Can I ask you something, Harry?"

"Sure."

"Well, it's just that, although very few visitors come in here to eat and fewer still are as young as you, it's not unknown. None of them, though, would have reacted quite in the same was as you did. Am I right in assuming you are often the subject of curiosity?"

Harry was quite taken aback by this question.

He nodded and lifted his fringe for a moment before quickly replacing his hair to cover his scar.

"I got this when my parents were murdered," he said very quietly. "I was only a baby when it happened. My scar was the only thing I liked about myself until I found out how I got it."

"And now you've lost someone else?"

Harry nodded. "Sirius. He was my Godfather. I only knew him for two years. He broke out of wizard prison because he thought I was at risk and was on the run ever since."

Harry was surprised how calm and unemotional his voice was.

"It was my fault he was killed. I was tricked into thinking he'd been kidnapped and I followed. It was a trap. Sirius came to rescue us and he was killed in the fight."

"Us?"

"Five of my friends went with me. We were rescued just in time."

They were quiet for a moment.

"Speaking as someone who doesn't really know you, and someone who certainly knows nothing of your world, may I make an observation?"

Harry looked up and nodded slightly.

Hammond looked like he was choosing his words carefully.

"There are those, with good reason, might say that to try and work out the psyche of any teenager is an impossibility," he began and Harry smiled. "Even so, you are quite a contradiction. The very first thing you asked me was how the shopkeeper was. Given that you believed you were in mortal danger, and especially since you really are in danger, that is quite concerning."

"Why concerning?"

"I think you're in hurry for the worst to happen."

Harry frowned but then relaxed.

"I suppose I am. I can't say too much about it, really. Let's just say the worst is going to happen one day, and I'm assuming when it happens there won't be anyone to rescue me."

"When will it happen?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know."

"Someone's placed quite a burden on you, haven't they?" Hammond said quietly. "Well, despite your immediate relatives, you appear to have a few people that care for you and are prepared to put themselves in some danger to protect you."

Harry nodded.

"Just suppose you had died in that shop," said Hammond. "Could you say that you'd done everything you wanted? I'm thinking of your friends and protectors. Do they know how much you really appreciate them? Have you done enough to earn their pride?"

Harry looked down and shook his head no.

"No one ever does, Harry. My point is that the worst might happen tomorrow or in years to come. You need to live between now and then. Suppose the worst gets delayed or never happens. You are going to feel pretty stupid if you've wasted the little time you have.

"I'm guessing your parent's died very young, so you'll only know them through their friends and people who knew them. They would have led very different lives I'm sure, but I wonder if they could say they lived their all too short lives to the full?"

Harry stared at his tea. He knew what Hammond was saying was perfectly true. Perhaps it just needed someone to say it for him to believe it.

"Thanks," he said in a whisper looking up.

Hammond smiled and looked at his watch.

"Our car will be ready in a few minutes," he said. "I need to get changed. Come on, I'll show you where you can wait."

He led Harry into a darkened room with television screens covering an entire wall. Hammond introduced him to one of the controllers and left while Harry was told about the traffic control operations they conducted from there. It appeared to a quiet time before the rush hour started.

*

A few minutes later a smart, uniformed and decorated senior officer walked into the room. It was a moment before Harry realised it was Hammond. It appeared the three controllers were also taken aback by his appearance, having come to attention seeing a senior officer join them. This soon changed, however, into several derisive comments.

"Come on, Harry," he said smiling, "let's go before anyone else sees me."

This time they exited from the back of the station.

"Give us a moment," shouted Hammond to two uniformed officers who were about to open the rear of a large van which was rocking. Presumably its occupant wasn't too happy about being locked in there.

They nodded and grinned seeing Hammond's uniform. One stood to attention and was clearly about to give a mock salute before the van rocked violently again.

They hurried past until they got to a gleaming patrol car with two grinning policemen in the front.

Hammond opened a rear passenger door and said, "In you get, Harry."

Hammond got in the other side and they sped off almost at once.

"This is Harry," said Hammond wiping the brim of his hat which he'd taken off.

"Hi, Harry," said the driver, "Little Whinging, right?"

"Yes, Jim," said Hammond before Harry could answer.

Harry turned to Hammond and said, "You aren't seriously going to drop me off in this, are you? Aunt Petunia will have a fit."

"I said I wanted to have a word with your Uncle, didn't I?" replied Hammond with a wicked smile. "Actually, we would have had outriders too, but they had a shift change."

Chapter 6

"You can just drop me here," said Harry as they approached Privet Drive.

He had been making similar observations ever since they entered Little Whinging.

On reflection, Harry wished he'd relaxed a little and enjoyed the drive. He was far too nervous and anxious at the time, but Harry remembered later how observant the two policemen were. They constantly chatted and their broken conversations were full of observations whilst somehow listening to the incomprehensible radio messages.

The car drew to a slow and careful stop right outside the house. Harry and Hammond got out and Harry thanked the two policemen for the lift.

Harry didn't need to look to know that curtains were twitching in every house down the street.

Hammond slapped Harry encouragingly on the shoulder and marched him up the path. They hadn't got halfway when one of the policemen shouted, "Got a call! We'll pick you up later!"

Hammond waved to confirm he'd understood as the patrol car sped off, lights flashing.

As Harry watched the car disappear around a bend, he heard the doorbell chime. He turned back and could see Aunt Petunia approaching the door through the small obscured glass panes. She opened the door looking very apprehensive.

"Mrs Dursley?" said Hammond taking off his peaked cap and smiling warmly. "My name is Chief Inspector Hammond. It's been my honour to bring Harry home. Unfortunately, our transport has been called away. Would it be alright if I waited with you for a few minutes?"

Aunt Petunia looked like she was fighting an impulse just to slam the door in his face, possibly not the most sensible thing to do to a senior policeman even if all your neighbours are watching avidly.

She showed them into the living room.

"I'll make tea, shall I, Aunt Petunia?" asked Harry, leaving for the kitchen before she could respond.

He returned a few minutes later carrying a tea tray that he placed down on the table, and set about pouring three cups.

"Thanks, Harry," said Hammond taking his cup and saucer, before continuing their conversation. Not that Aunt Petunia was talking much. Her glance kept moving to the window. She was either worried about the neighbours or Uncle Vernon, or both.

"Thankfully, Harry's made a full recovery and much quicker than expected considering the injuries he sustained. It was a pity you couldn't visit him, but it was rather a long way to travel, I suppose."

Aunt Petunia shifted uncomfortably.

"Still, it's good to get him safely home," he continued lightly. "After a shock to the system it's always best, in my experience, to get back to a friendly environment. A loving home can do wonders, as I'm sure you know."

Aunt Petunia nodded her head slightly.

"I'm sure you needn't worry too much about Harry's recent weight loss. A few days rest and relaxation is all he needs. He'll soon get his appetite back after a few tempting meals are placed before him. Ah, is this Mr Dursley?"

Aunt Petunia had shot to her feet and had dashed to the front door before Uncle Vernon had got his front door keys out. The door to the living room was open and clearly Aunt Petunia had tried to communicate silently that they had "a visitor".

A very confused Vernon Dursley appeared at the living room door. This expression of confusion quickly changed to anger as he completely misunderstood the reason why there was a uniformed policeman in his living room.

"What have you done now, boy?" he yelled at Harry.

Hammond stood and stepped towards Uncle Vernon, extending out his hand.

"Mr Dursley? My name is Chief Inspector Hammond. Your wife has been most hospitable while I waited for my transport to arrive back. As you can see, I brought Harry back this afternoon but unfortunately the patrol car we came in was called away on an emergency."

"I see," said Uncle Vernon, taking a seat while Aunt Petunia fussed to get him a cup of tea. Hammond sat down again, carefully observing Uncle Vernon. Harry was by now very concerned what Hammond might say.

"Harry has been most helpful with our enquiries," said Hammond smiling. "Unfortunately it looks like our investigations have come to nothing. It appears to have been a random attempted robbery. Regrettable, but not uncommon these days. Fortunately the shopkeeper and Harry are alright now, though."

Uncle Vernon grunted.

"It can't be easy, bringing up a family these days," Hammond continued lightly. "Teenagers will insist on keeping up with the latest fashions, won't they? I confess, I rather assumed Harry was dressed entirely in handed-down rags when I first saw him! Still, what do I know about it?"

Hammond laughed lightly as Uncle Vernon attempted to laugh as well.

Hammond leaned forward, an uncharacteristically serious expression on his face.

"I want to assure you," he said clearly, "that we take the welfare of victims of all crime very seriously."

The inference was not lost on Uncle Vernon.

"I'm glad to hear it," he muttered.

At that moment there were two loud pops that sounded like they came from the dining room. Harry immediately jumped to his feet and withdrew his wand.

Aunt Petunia shrieked as Hammond jumped to his feet.

"Stay here and be quiet," he ordered as he followed Harry.

Harry couldn't quite believe what he was seeing as he peered into the dining room.

"Are we in the wrong house?" asked Fudge.

"How should I know?" replied the stranger with him.

"Good evening," said Hammond in a clear and authoritative voice. "May I ask what you are doing here and why you felt it unnecessary to use the front door?"

Fudge and his accomplice froze, both looking quite startled.

The stranger recovered first and pointed his wand at Hammond. "Obliviate!" he shouted.

Harry shouted "Protego!" just in time. The spell bounced harmlessly away.

Hammond looked completely unfazed, and said calmly, "Please disarm them, Harry."

"Accio!" said Harry and both their wands flew into his free hand.

"Now see hear," blustered Fudge. "I am the Minister for Magic and this is an Auror from the Ministry. Give us our wands back at once or they'll be serious consequences."

"Minister?" asked Hammond, "I've been wanting a word with you. Perhaps you'd both better accompany me to the local police station."

"I'd like to see you try," said Fudge with an annoying grin.

"Well, you'd better Apparate away then before I arrest you both," said Hammond casually.

Fudge looked at his companion and nodded.

Harry fully expected them to Disapparate away, but they didn't.

Fudge looked like he was straining for a moment and then a quite horrified look spread over his face.

"Is there a problem?" asked Hammond with a smile.

"But you're just a Muggle," said Fudge in alarm, backing away and bumping into the dresser.

"No," said Hammond patiently, "I'm a policeman. An old and experienced policeman. You get to see and hear some quite extraordinary things as a copper over the years. You also get to learn some seemingly impossible things."

Harry realised that Hammond must have some kind of anti-apparation device.

"Now, you can either co-operate with me and leave after we have concluded our discussion or I will arrest you and you can spend the night in the cells. Take a seat if you want to co-operate."

As Fudge dithered, it struck Harry that Hammond was quite used to getting his way just be taking an authoritative attitude. It was also at that moment he realised why Fudge was there. This time he wanted to deal with Harry's underage law-breaking personally, without Dumbledore's interference.

Eventually, they sat down. Hammond was about to sit opposite them at the dining table, when Harry spun around and pointed his wand at the open doorway.

There stood Albus Dumbledore, clearly about to knock and announce his presence.

"My apologies," he said smiling and lowering his hand. "I was hoping to join you, if that would be acceptable."

"Professor!" said Harry, pointing down his wand.

Dumbledore smiled warmly at him and said, "My compliments on your reflexes, Harry. You had me covered before I finished Apparating. Won't you introduce me to your friend?"

Harry introduced Hammond and Fudge introduced his companion as Jenkins, a middle ranking Auror.

When they were all seated, Hammond began.

"Minister, was the man who attacked Harry known to you?"

The Auror answered, "No, we think he was a new recruit. We haven't been able to identify him yet."

"I have his wand," said Harry, handing it to the Jenkins.

"Thanks," he replied, "this might help identify him."

"Was it a planned attack?" asked Hammond.

"We believe not," said Dumbledore. "I have had reports indicating that he was just passing and it was a mere coincidence that Harry was in the shop at the time. We believe he was killed shortly after he was retrieved from the hospital. He was killed in punishment for revealing himself and there is a very good chance that his killers still have no idea that Harry was present. We can only assume this but there have been no further attempts."

"But why did he go into the shop?"

"Probably just to steal something. Some wizards have a weakness for confectionery you can't buy in the wizarding world," said Dumbledore with a smile. "It is possible for a wizard to hold himself invisible after he Apparates. I think he was distracted, probably upon seeing Harry."

"Harry defended himself using underage magic, didn't he?" asked Hammond. "Will you assure me, Minister, that no action will be taken against him. For that and what he did earlier in defending me?"

Fudge hesitated.

"I would remind you where you are," said Hammond threateningly. "In this world you are subject to the same laws as everyone else. It would actually have been an offence not to render aid to a police officer carrying out his duties."

"No action will be taken on this occasion," said Fudge reluctantly.

"So what about the next time?" asked Hammond pointedly. "Don't you think Harry should be licensed to perform magic to defend himself?"

"The threat to Potter is much exaggerated, I'm sure," said Fudge.

"But Minister," interrupted Jenkins, much to Harry's surprise. It sounded like the Aurors were taking the threat of Voldemort much more seriously than Fudge.

"I can't make an exception," spat Fudge. "They'll all want special permission. It would be chaos!"

Hammond frowned.

"Perhaps I might make a small suggestion?" asked Dumbledore.

They all turned to look at him.

"Harry has shown considerable restraint recently and his developing talent for wand-less magic is almost impossible to detect anyway. Perhaps you could revert to issuing cautioning letters with an assurance that no more extreme punishments would be threatened."

"I'll consider it," said Fudge with a grimace.

"If you need time to consider it," said Hammond, "I'll find you a nice cell."

Fudge looked startled for a moment but then said, "Well, alright then. I'll inform the appropriate department."

"Good. Now let me make something perfectly clear, Minister," said Hammond threateningly. "It is clear to me that your efforts in giving Harry here the protection and support he's entitled to are at best woefully inadequate. I expect to see a marked improvement."

Fudge looked abashed to receive such an admonishment.

"I'm done with you two, so you may go," said Hammond with disdain. "You will find you can dematerialise from the end of the garden. Mind you don't squash the flowerbeds, or I'll be wanting another word."

Harry tried to keep a straight face as he handed their wands back and led them to the back door. As he closed it behind them, he thought he could hear Fudge falling into the garden pond.

Chapter 7

Harry returned to the dining room to find Hammond talking to Dumbledore. From the smile on his face, Harry knew he was much more impressed with his Headmaster than he had been with Minister Fudge.

"Here, Harry," he said handing him a small gold pocket watch. "This was given to me years ago. The old man who gave it to me was considered quite mad, actually. I never honestly believed I would have a use for it, other than to tell the time. I think it's time it was returned to your world. I would be pleased if you'd accept it as a gift."

"Wow," said Harry gently, "I mean, thanks."

Hammond turned to Dumbledore.

"You appeared quite close to it, though. I assumed that those two appeared in the dining room because I had this in the living room. How did you get so close?"

"Experience," said Dumbledore modestly. "Few wizards could Apparate that close. As it was, my appearance was detected by Harry very quickly."

"So it could still be of help to him?"

"It will be a very valuable protection, I'm sure."

"How close will Harry be able to get, do you think?"

"Closer than I, eventually. He'll begin Apparition training next term."

"Could I ask about your wands? Those two were helpless without them weren't they? Harry doesn't need his, though. Do you?"

"Harry and I will always need to use a wand for precision. Wandless magic tends to be imprecise, although Harry has shown quite a gift for it. I confess, I rather enjoy the mental discipline it requires."

"Will Harry be ready to face the challenges ahead? I mean from a training point of view, obviously."

"Harry will need to make full use of the remaining time he has at school, but I am confident he'll equip himself well. I have found that everyone develops at their own pace. It never really pays to push development, as it takes time for the mind to adapt. Although Harry got off to a slower start than had he been brought up in the magical world, his personal development is such that he will be a far more powerful wizard in the long term."

"The two friends of Harry that I met in the hospital seemed surprised that Harry could defend himself like he did in the shop."

"Indeed. Many Aurors could not have done better. It's a sign."

"A good sign or a warning?"

"A very astute observation," complimented Dumbledore. "It is both, of course."

Hammond nodded. Harry frowned listening to the two of them.

"Harry permitted me to tell him a couple of observations I made," said Hammond carefully. "Perhaps you would also be kind enough to also indulge me?"

Dumbledore bowed slightly.

"Harry has undergone some very traumatic experiences in a very short period of time. I believe he is beginning to deal with the loss of his Godfather, on one level anyway, but he hasn't even started to accept what happened in the shop. I'm sure there is a very good reason for his being here, but I'm equally sure that this is not where he should be right now. He needs to be where he is loved, not merely tolerated."

"I entirely agree," said Dumbledore sadly. "Please believe me when I say it is essential that he stays here. His stay in hospital interrupted the way this period reinforces the protection he enjoys. I regret he must stay a few days longer."

"Can't he take whatever it is with him?" asked Hammond. "Or is it the whole house?"

"Please do not speculate on this. I cannot tell you the details that have protected Harry since he came to live here as a baby."

In the hall they could hear the telephone start to ring.

"Hey, how about a phone?" asked Hammond brightly. "If Harry had a private means to communicate, at least he could talk things over with someone he trusted."

"Inspector?" Aunt Petunia called timidly, "There's a call for you."

"Excuse me a moment," said Hammond and he left the room.

Dumbledore smiled warmly at Harry and said, "I think your trust was well placed."

Harry smiled.

Hammond hurried back into the dining room and said, "Your turn Harry. I've just had my telling off. She's waiting on the phone for you now."

Harry went out into the hallway and found the handset placed next to the telephone. As he picked it up he heard a raucous laugh coming from Hammond.

"Hello?" said Harry, wondering who wanted to tell him off.

"Harry! Where have you been?"

"Hermione! Hammond just said he'd been told off and now it was my turn!"

"Well, he did promise to make you call me as soon as you got home," she said. "I've been waiting by the phone all day!"

"That sounds a bit daft, actually," he said laughing softly.

"So are you alright? What have you been doing today?"

"I'm fine," he replied, "much better for hearing you. Let's say it's been an interesting day. I can't talk about it now."

"Okay," she said quietly. Harry could hear her breathing gently into the microphone. It was strangely relaxing.

After a long pause he felt he should say something.

"I can't tell you how pleased I was to see you. It must have taken you hours to get there. I couldn't believe how long it took to drive back."

"Well, we couldn't just leave you there alone."

Harry heard something in the background and it sounded like Hermione had covered the mouthpiece before replying. Presently she spoke again.

"Harry? I'm sorry, I've got to go. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I promise I'll call you again tomorrow. Bye."

"Okay, thanks for calling."

He'd barely finished when a harsh click told him Hermione had hung up. He gently placed the handset on the phone and stood for a moment, remembering her voice. A noise from inside the living room sent him back into the dining room.

As Harry entered the dining room, Hammond was speaking in a quiet and very serious tone to Dumbledore who was listening carefully and nodding in agreement.

"Harry, may I see that timepiece?" asked Dumbledore seeing him enter.

Harry went over hand handed him the pocket watch before taking a seat at the dining table.

"Fascinating," Dumbledore said. "The chain is the actual anti-Apparition device, but this Sovereign is fake. It is a kind of Portkey, probably preset for multiple destinations. It appears to be dormant now."

He opened the watch case.

"Wonderful," said Dumbledore with delight. "The watch is an original Swiss Hunter. The mechanism is entirely mechanical but the casing is a different matter. From the outside the crystal face shows the watch face. Observed from the other side, with the outer case open, it reveals a mirror. See?"

Harry looked into the tiny mirror.

"That wasn't there before!" said Hammond laughing. "Mind you, I did wonder why that Hunter had an inner crystal casing as well."

"It reveals itself with the case in the hands of a wizard, I believe," said Dumbledore. "It is a twinned mirror, but its brother was probably lost long ago."

Dumbledore deftly opened the back of the watch casing.

"It gets better," he said, holding the watch and shaking it gently. There was a rattle and out tumbled an ordinary looking three inch long metal screw. It had fallen out of the solid metal of the watch casing.

"The outer casing on this side is actually a storage compartment. Small scrolls and the like can be kept hidden, but it must never be used to store a wand or anything too magical. There is some question as to where the storage space actually is and, um, accidents have happened. This type of device was banned some time ago after a rather prominent wizard was sucked in and never seen again."

"Would it be fair to say that this watch would have been used by someone wishing to be incognito?" asked Hammond.

"Most likely, judging from the inscription," said Dumbledore handing the watch back to Harry.

Harry looked at the inscription under which was a date just over a century ago. It read simply, "For my wanderer. Return to me soon."

"Could it be refurbished or improved?" pressed Hammond. "No, that's no good. It would stand out. How about a modern equivalent?"

"Electronic watches don't work close to wizarding areas," said Harry.

"Well, wind up chronograph timepieces may be expensive now but they are still available," answered Hammond. "That watch was a quality watch in its day. The mechanism alone would have been expensive."

They heard the doorbell chime again.

"That'll be my lift," said Hammond. This was confirmed by Aunt Petunia's shrill, over friendly call. Hammond stood and shook Dumbledore's hand.

"It's been a pleasure to meet you, Professor," he said.

"Likewise," said Dumbledore bowing slightly. "I look forward to meeting you again."

"Harry, would you show me out?"

*

Harry followed Hammond right up to the patrol car before he turned and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Well, Harry. I'm a little easier in my mind about leaving you here than I was. I hope you get away soon, you deserve a break. You have my number. Call me if you are in need of assistance or just want to chat."

"Thanks for everything," said Harry, smiling.

Hammond cleared his throat and said loudly for the benefit of the neighbours, "Thank you again, Mr Potter."

He shook Harry's hand and winked at him before getting into the patrol car. Harry watched as the car drove off slowly this time, its progress accompanied by twitching curtains all along the street.

*

Harry returned to the dining room to find Dumbledore deep in thought.

"Would you like a drink, Sir?" he asked.

"No thank you, Harry," Dumbledore replied. "Your friend has given me much to think about."

"He does that," Harry said smiling. "I really don't mind staying here longer if I have too."

Dumbledore nodded sadly.

"You mentioned twinned mirrors just now," said Harry tentatively.

"Yes. They are very rare these days. It's been years since I've seen an actual pair."

"Sirius gave me one half of a twinned mirror last year, but I never used it. It's broken, though."

"Did he have the other half?"

"He must have because in his note he said he wanted me to use it," Harry said looking down. "I only found out I had it at the end of term."

"Do you still have the pieces?"

"Yes, they are in my trunk."

"Repair it then. We will look for the other half. If we can't find it, we'll see if the twin you have can be cut into twins again. That is where that watch mirror came from. Eventually the pieces get so small they are of little use, which is why they are so rare.

"You probably realised, Harry, but it was Auror Jenkins who informed me that Cornelius planned to take direct action this evening. You'll be glad to know that the Auror Division has taken to 'minding' the Minister just lately. He would not have been allowed to do anything that placed you at additional risk."

Dumbledore stood.

"I haven't told you how glad I was that you are safe," he said smiling. "We were all rather worried for the days you went missing. Remember that the telephone can be as insecure as the letter post and owl post, so be careful what you say. I won't say goodbye to your Aunt and Uncle as I may just upset them again."

"Professor?" asked Harry. "I'd like to apologise for the things I said and did in your office."

"Thank you, Harry, but you have no need to apologise. Good evening."

Dumbledore silently Disapparated in front of him.

Chapter 8

The next morning Harry woke early and decided to repair his half of the twinned mirror. At first be began to take out the shards of glass at the bottom of his trunk but then he realised there were a few very small pieces he might miss.

He held up his wand and chuckled slightly, remembering Fudge's indignation, and said quietly but firmly, "Reparo!"

Instantly the mirror flew back together just as it was.

He picked the precious object up remembering how he'd felt the last time he held it in his hands. That time he had been desperate to speak to Sirius. This time, the mirror itself gave him some comfort. It was a kind of link back to him.

Harry heard the telephone ring downstairs, quickly followed by Uncle Vernon's bellow. He hurried down the stairs and picked up the handset.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Harry!"

"Hermione!"

"It's not too early to call is it? Your Uncle sounded a bit cross."

"That's usual," replied Harry in an undertone.

"Can you talk?"

"No, not really. Listen, though. Hopefully I can get something to you that will make things easier. I can't say anything about it over the phone, but how about I send it anyway and ask you if you'll accept it after?"

"Sounds intriguing!" said Hermione brightly.

"But you don't have to keep it," stressed Harry.

"Harry, you'll spoil the surprise," she replied. "How are you? Did you sleep last night? Are you eating alright?"

"I'm fine," he replied smiling. "Yes, I slept and it's too early for breakfast."

"You aren't sending me one of those singing dwarves are you?"

Harry laughed and said, "It's a bit smaller. Mind you that is a good idea!"

Harry heard Hermione laugh but then there was a noise at the other end. Someone was trying to attract her attention.

"Sorry, Harry. Got to go. Bye."

This time he heard the loud click before he had time to utter anything.

He sighed loudly and went into the kitchen to make breakfast.

*

Harry toyed impatiently with the pocket watch. It was almost twelve at night. The Order had delivered the other mirror to Hermione that day. Harry had sent Hedwig with a cryptic note that only told her to unwrap the package, keep the contents private and be alone with it at ten o'clock that night. He also said he would try again every hour.

He had tried the mirror at ten and again at eleven, but there was still no answer.

He hadn't been worried after the first attempt, after all it was a Friday and the Grangers may have made plans. He was, however, distinctly nettled when his second call received no reply.

By now, Harry was doubting whether he had been right in sending her the mirror at all.

At long last, it was midnight.

"Hermione?" he said into the mirror.

"Harry?" he heard distantly. Then suddenly he saw Hermione's shocked face come into view. He grinned widely seeing her.

"Hi," he said warmly. "What kept you?"

"I'm sorry but I went to the cinema this evening, and then we got something to eat. I've only just got back," she said. "Where did you get this mirror?"

"It belonged to Sirius. He and my dad used them."

"Oh."

"Look, first of all, I'm sorry I didn't ask you first. There was no way to ask that I could think of without the risk of being found out."

"I understand."

"The very worst thing about having to stay here is not having anyone to talk to," he continued. "I can't write for fear of letters being intercepted and the phone isn't private either with Aunt Petunia hanging on every word."

Hermione nodded.

"I know it sounds selfish, but I've been sitting here tonight wondering if I did the right thing sending you that mirror."

"Why?" asked Hermione, sounding hurt.

"Well, you practically ran out of the ward before I had a chance to say anything. You wouldn't even look at me after you sat down; I had to spend the whole time talking to your parents. Then both times when you phoned, you just couldn't wait to get away."

"Oh, Harry," she said gently. "Of course you can have the mirror back if you want."

"I don't want it back. You are the only person I can talk to about, well, everything."

"I'm sorry," she said. "The visit to the hospital was just too much for me. I'd spend the last three days worrying and the car journey took forever. I kept imagining the most horrible things happening to you. I was a bag of nerves when we finally arrived."

"I'm very glad you came, though," Harry said gently.

Hermione smiled and wiped her eyes.

"But I don't know what you mean about the phone calls. Our conversation was over so I just hung up."

"To be honest, just knowing you were there was a comfort."

"I'm here even if I'm not holding a phone in my hands, Harry."

Harry snorted.

"Mum did ask why my calls were so short, actually," she said with a small grin. "Hang on, I think my Mum wants to say goodnight."

Harry watched as the image became darker for a moment. He had expected it to return to a mirror but instead he struggled to work out what he was seeing. There was movement but it was too dark to see anything.

All the time, though, Harry could hear Hermione's side of the conversation. This made no sense to Harry as it consisted mainly of "Yes," and "I know," and "No," before finally, "Goodnight."

Harry looked into the mirror expectantly. For a moment it was dark, then he heard a shriek. The mirror flashed and for an instant he saw his own reflection. Then it was dark again, but he could just make out a few features.

"Hermione, are you alright?"

"Yes, Harry. I dropped the mirror. Can you see anything?"

"It's dark again. Do think it might be broken?"

"No, the mirror is working fine," said Hermione a little strangely.

The image changed again.

"It just changed again, Hermione."

"Yes, I just turned out the light. Hang on, Harry, I just need to retrieve the mirror."

Harry stared into the mirror, totally transfixed by the scene before him.

"That's better," said Hermione as her face came back into view. "Sorry but I dropped it, er, somewhere."

"I know, Hermione, I just saw."

"What?"

"I just discovered that these mirrors work in complete darkness too," he said grinning.

"A gentleman would have averted his eyes," she replied. Harry knew she was blushing deeply but it didn't show up in the ethereal blue and green image of her produced in the mirror.

"You are beautiful, Hermione," he said gently.

They continued to chat for a couple of hours, Hermione holding the mirror under her pillow. Harry eventually fell asleep listening to Hermione's steady breathing as she slept.

Chapter 9

They spoke for most of the next day. Harry told Hermione everything about his return home and the visit from Fudge.

Hermione also quizzed him on what exactly happened in the shop and eventually Harry got to the point of speaking about the assumed killing.

"The enormity of what happened didn't really sink in until after you'd left me in the hospital," he whispered sadly. "I'm having a problem dealing with what I did. The fact that there won't be any consequences just makes it worse."

"Can you honestly say you had any choice? He would have killed you and then the shopkeeper. I know it's harsh, but given the choice I'd much rather have you survive."

"Thanks," he said quietly.

"Have you ever done wand-less magic before?"

"Yes, a couple of times, I suppose. Nothing like what I did in the shop though. All I did was think what I'd do when I got hold of my wand."

"We'll have to try it when we get back to school. I've never been able to do anything like that."

"Well, I found it helps if you are in agony or being a bit emotional at the time."

He thought he could hear a quiet, "tut."

*

Over the next few days Harry could be seen wandering around the house and garden talking to himself quietly and laughing. He didn't feel safe taking the mirror beyond the garden boundary yet, but he'd managed to find a way to wear the mirror next to his skin. By turning a shirt inside out and cutting a whole, he was able to hear Hermione perfectly.

It wasn't long before even short periods of absence began to matter to him.

Worried he was becoming needy, he'd spoken of his feelings to Hermione. She, of course, dismissed his concerns, telling him that usually it was she who called him.

One afternoon Harry had just finished cutting the lawn and was trying to decide whether or not he could be bothered to clean out Hedwig's cage, when he heard, "Harry?"

The voice wasn't Hermione's so he immediately reached inside his tatty, inside out shirt and retrieved his mirror.

"Hi," he said smiling at Mrs Granger.

"I hope you don't mind, but Hermione's in the shower and I thought I'd nick her mirror!"

Harry laughed and said, "No, of course not!"

"How are you? You look much better," she said smiling.

"Thanks, I feel much better now."

"We haven't said anything to Hermione, but Professor Dumbledore has stopped saying 'definitely not' and is now saying 'maybe soon' when we ask him if you can come and stay."

"That's nice to know," he said. "That you're thinking of inviting me, I mean."

They continued to chat for a few minutes when Harry became aware of a small disturbance at Mrs Granger's end. It appeared that Hermione had noticed her mirror was missing and had starting tearing her room apart looking for it.

"Sorry, Harry, but I'd better return you," she said.

"Okay," said Harry, "Bye."

He heard Mrs Granger go upstairs and the mirror when blank shortly after. He decided he would clean out Hedwig's cage after all and it was late evening before he heard the mirror again.

"Harry?"

He went over to his bedside table and picked up the mirror. It was very dark so he knew Hermione could see him.

He was a little shocked when he saw Hermione. She was lit by her bedside lamp. Her face looked red and her eyes were raw.

"Are you okay?" he asked gently.

She nodded and said in a quiet, strained voice, "Yes. I'm sorry I didn't call this afternoon. I had a row with Mum."

Harry nodded and said, "She said she'd nicked your mirror. I'm sure she didn't mean to upset you. It was my fault for keeping her talking so long."

"Sure, Harry, everything's your fault," she replied with a deep sigh.

"I wish," began Harry.

"Wish what?" asked Hermione when he didn't continue.

"Um, well. I suppose I wish we didn't have these mirrors between us. I mean, I feel terrible seeing you upset and not being able to comfort you properly."

Hermione rolled over on her bed and tucked the mirror in its usual place under her pillow.

"How would you comfort me, Harry?" she asked sleepily.

Harry stretched out on his bed and pondered an answer, but he soon heard the familiar regular breathing of Hermione sleeping.

Chapter 10

Early the next morning, Harry was listening to the ringing tone after he'd dialled out.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Mr Granger? It's Harry Potter. May I please have a word with Mrs Granger?"

A couple of pleasantries and a short pause later, Mrs Granger picked up the phone.

"Hello, Harry. Is anything the matter?" she asked at once.

"No, No. I just wanted to apologise for yesterday," he said. "I shouldn't have kept you talking."

"Don't be silly dear," she replied gently. "To be honest I think she was looking for an excuse to let off steam."

"Why? Nothing's the matter is it?"

"Just the usual," Mrs Granger replied casually. "That reminds me, I need to ask Professor Dumbledore again. Um, I'm sorry, Harry. I'm going to be late for work. Call later if you want to talk, won't you?"

"Sure, thanks," he replied.

Harry went upstairs again to find Hedwig. She was back and enjoying her latest catch.

Harry sat at his desk and began to think what he should write.

In the end he just wrote, "I'd like to talk," and asked Hedwig to take it to Remus Lupin. Late morning she brought the reply. "I'll meet you at two o'clock at Mrs F's."

Harry told Hermione he was going out and that she shouldn't worry, it was just that he didn't want to risk anything happening to the mirror. Hermione had been as bright as ever, but Harry was still worried.

*

At two o'clock exactly, Harry knocked on the front door of Mrs Figg's house. He immediately heard the mews for her many cats.

She answered the door and she leaped forward and hugged him before dragging him into the house.

He was sat down and re-introduced to each her cats individually.

When Lupin arrived by floo powder, he had to stifle a laugh. Harry was sitting surrounded by an assortment of cats, all purring contentedly.

Perhaps it was the werewolf in Lupin that the cats could sense, because as he got close enough to speak to Harry, they all departed making their annoyance quite plain.

Lupin sat in the adjacent armchair and smiled at him.

"You are looking much better, I must say."

"Thanks," Harry said quietly.

"What's troubling you?"

"I'm sorry to burden you with this, but I'm worried about something."

"Not at all," he replied gently. "I'll be glad to listen."

"You know I asked you to take the twin mirror to Hermione?"

Lupin nodded.

"Well, she never really had an opportunity to refuse it. She's been great, and having her to talk to has really helped me. She's never said anything directly, but I'm worried. I've pretty much shared almost everything with her. I've told her more than I've ever told anyone."

Lupin sat listening intently.

"Yesterday, Hermione's mother took the mirror while Hermione was in the shower. She just wanted to say hello, really, but we got talking. Hermione found the mirror was missing and they ended up having a row about it.

"It was late last night before Hermione contacted me again. She looked so upset. Anyway, I phoned Mrs Granger this morning to apologise. That's when she said Hermione was looking for an excuse to have a row. I asked if anything was wrong and Mrs Granger just said 'The usual,' which got me more worried."

Lupin nodded gently.

"I'm scared I've put too much onto Hermione."

"I don't wish to pry," said Lupin, "but is there anything you haven't shared with her."

"Yes."

"What is the nature of these un-shared things?"

"I suppose they are just things that I felt I could only tell her in person."

"Is that all?" pushed Lupin gently.

"No," said Harry quietly. "There are some things I honestly don't know how to say."

Lupin nodded.

"It's strange, isn't it? Those mirrors can make you so close and yet so far apart."

Harry looked up.

"I honestly don't think Hermione couldn't cope with anything you might burden her with. She's always been there for you, hasn't she?"

"She has," Harry agreed, "but now she's hurting. I'm terrified of making her feel worse."

"I don't think she could feel any worse than she did while you were missing," said Lupin with a smile. "I think you need to tell her your feelings as soon as possible. Do you think that would be better in person or through the mirrors?"

"In person, except I might not have the nerve."

Lupin snorted, and said, "In person it is, then. I'll talk Dumbledore into letting you go. The Grangers have been on at him for ages. We'll need to arrange things so you can have a couple of hours in private with Hermione first though."

"Thanks," said Harry with a nervous smile.

"I would suggest, though, that you try to prime Hermione first. Take things slowly, but don't leave any room for doubts."

Harry's face fell slightly.

"But how do I even begin?"

"Tell her the truth."

Chapter 11

"Hermione?"

"Hi, Harry," she replied at once. Harry realised she must have been holding the mirror when he'd called.

He smiled and said, "I saw Lupin today. He's going to persuade Dumbledore to let me come away."

"That's great, Harry."

"I asked his advice about something," he said gently, "and he said I should tell you the truth. I have had a go at telling you, actually, but you always manage to fall asleep before I get the words out."

Hermione snorted and said, "I'm wide awake, Harry."

"I think you should know it'll take me a while to get to the point, though."

"I can pretend to be asleep if it would help. Should I snore?"

"You don't snore, Hermione," Harry replied laughing, "although you do gurgle and burp sometimes."

Hermione laughed and the mirror went blank as it took its familiar place under her pillow. Harry bunched up the pillow he was resting on and began.

"Hammond told me something just before he brought me home. He said I was in a hurry for the worst to happen, which is true. He also asked what if the worst didn't happen or was delayed for years. He thought I'd feel pretty stupid if the worst did happen and I hadn't made the best of the time I had, however short it might be. That made quite an impression on me, especially as he compared me to my parents."

"He knew about them?" asked Hermione.

"No, just that he assumed they'd died young but even so probably made the most of their time. From what people say, they did."

"Mm," agreed Hermione.

"Ever since Sirius was killed, I've known that one day the worst will happen. Voldemort will continue to try to kill me and I hopefully will get a chance to finish him. I can't really see much beyond that point, but now I feel that I should make better use of the time I have."

"I do wish you sounded a bit more optimistic," said Hermione sadly.

"You can work on that if you want," replied Harry with a smile. "So anyway, I think I'll really have to start putting more of an effort at school. More books and less Quidditch. I also need to get a lot better at Defence Against the Dark Arts and duelling."

"But you love Quidditch," protested Hermione.

"I didn't say no Quidditch, just less," said Harry. "Where was I? I think I was getting to a point there, but it's gone now."

"You will continue teaching the DA, won't you?"

"Of course, but I want your help and support, too."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm worried about you, Hermione."

"You don't have to," she retorted, sounding defensive.

"I can't stop myself. Why did you really have a row with your mother?"

"You know why."

"Well, I don't expect you to tell me the truth like this," he said gently. "You can do that when I see you properly. I've decided to tell you the truth then, too. In the meantime, I'd like to try and tell you some of the things that have led me to this point."

"What like?" Hermione answered, sounding a little muffled. Harry realised she was crying quietly.

Harry proceeded to tell her of his growing fears and how they revolved increasingly around Hermione. He told her of his horror and panic when she was hurt at the Department of Mysteries. How much he regretted the way he treated her the last year. How hurt he'd felt when she'd left the hospital. Not just because she was gone, but how he'd felt her pain and especially now, when he knew she was upset and not wanting to show it.

They both fell asleep late into the night.

Chapter 12

Harry stood in the middle of the Granger's living room with his trunk at his feet and Hedwig's empty cage under an arm. He gently placed the cage next to the trunk and listened for a moment. The house was silent.

Harry walked into the kitchen to find a note left for him by Mrs Granger. He smiled and placed it and the pen that had been his Portkey on the worktop. According the note, everything was proceeding as the plan she'd informed him of by telephone the night before.

Harry hesitated a moment, suddenly feeling rather nervous. Still, he couldn't very well back out now.

He reached into his pocket and took out the mirror he hadn't used for over a day.

Speaking into the mirror, he said, "Hermione?"

There was no immediate response and so Harry put the kettle on before he tried again.

The kettle was almost boiling when Hermione replied sleepily, "Yes, Harry?"

"Where do you keep the coffee cups?"

"Um, second wall cupboard from the fridge."

"Thanks," he said, placing the mirror back in his pocket.

He got two cups out and was looking for the cutlery drawer when there was suddenly a slam from somewhere upstairs followed by several quick thumps.

Harry smiled as he placed the instant coffee jar back in its place.

Hermione rushed into the kitchen, looking too shocked to speak.

Harry had expected her to hug him immediately, but instead she stopped, trying to say something. Harry somehow felt that she was trying to put on a brave front.

As soon as her face began to screw up, he stepped forward and held his arms out to her. Hermione moved forward and put her hands around his neck. She burst into tears. Harry just held her gently and stoked her back.

They stood embraced in the kitchen for several minutes until eventually Hermione stopped crying. She lifted her head away but Harry just held her tighter.

"This is much better than those mirrors," he whispered, his lips brushing her ear.

Hermione nodded against him.

"I love you, Hermione," he whispered.

"I love you, too," she whispered back.

"I know," he said.

"Sure of yourself, aren't we?"

"Pretty much," he admitted smiling into her hair. "After all, you can't seriously expect me to believe you accidentally dropped that mirror. Mind you, I was a bit disappointed there were no more accidents like that."

She kicked his shin with her bare foot but didn't let go.

"Did that hurt?" asked Harry.

"Yes," she admitted laughing.

Harry had no sense of the time that passed. The unmade cups of coffee were left forgotten on the worktop. Sometimes they spoke but for long periods they just held each other.

Hearing a car door slam outside, Harry looked up at the kitchen clock. His time was up. He let his hands slide from Hermione's back to her arms and they broke apart.

"I should go and shower," Hermione said with a small smile.

Harry nodded. Hermione moved to the door but just as Harry heard a key being inserted into the front door, she rushed back, kissed him quickly on the lips and dashed upstairs.

He hadn't quite recovered his senses when Mrs Granger greeted him warmly with an amused expression on her face.

END

-

AN: The Inspector Hammond character makes a reappearance in The Pauper's Time and again in Bring the Rain.