Unofficial Portkey Archive

Seed of Doubt by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Seed of Doubt

jardyn39

Seed of Doubt by Jardyn39

Note: Sorry, but not suitable for Ron fans.

Ginny Weasley looked around the spacious room she had just Apparated into, and remembered with a wry smile how she had argued that the Potters were mad to set up a publicly accessible Apparation facility so close to their home.

The room was spotless and tidy, in complete contrast to the Ministry public Apparation points. There were racks of clean sensible Muggle clothing, neatly stacked Muggle coins and banknotes in various currencies, rows of local maps and information leaflets like "How to Catch a Muggle Bus."

There was even a shelf with books including, "SPEW: The New Legislation," and "Coping with Freedom, a House Elves Guide," and even a reprint of Dobby's internationally best-selling autobiography. It looked like Harry's only authorised biography, also written by Dobby, had been borrowed again.

Ginny didn't need to look to know that the changing rooms and washroom facilities would be immaculate, even though no house elf had, nor ever would, clean them.

Almost every part of the walls were covered in posters promoting Hermione's various campaigns and good causes. Ginny smiled remembering how Harry had expanded the entire room, just so that Hermione had enough wall space.

Ginny turned and walked towards the single door that led outside to the well-lit public footpath that ran adjacent to the property. As she passed the donation boxes, she emptied her pockets of coins. Unlike the Ministry facilities, everything here was free and available to any wizard or magical creature passing. However, the Potters had set up collection boxes for various charities, including some they weren't involved with. Ginny knew full well that the donations passed on were far greater than the money donated by patrons of the facility.

Ginny, having shared rooms with Hermione for a short while after they'd left Hogwarts, was by now quite used to going around without coins. Ginny happened to mention to Harry that lately she kept forgetting where she left her money. Harry then explained that Hermione's policy was clear: any money left lying around the house was a charitable donation.

The framed map on the back of the door showed the external path and adjacent woodland was clear.

As she reached for the door handle, Ginny put away her fond reminiscences. She normally used the internal area reserved for close friends and family, but right now she needed to check on the Aurors on watch around the property which was situated in a quiet leafy neighbourhood.

*

Satisfied that everything was in place, Ginny Apparated to just inside the front door and wiped her feet on the generous coir matting. The large bright lobby gave no indication that this was a wizarding household. Hermione had decided that, as they were living in a Muggle neighbourhood, nothing overtly magical should be left on display.

Ginny walked past the open living room door and paused to watch Harry being mobbed by all three of his children who were screaming with delight. Ginny smiled to herself and headed for the kitchen to find Hermione.

Hermione was standing at the kitchen table looking tired and nervous. She was clearly listening intently to the noises Harry and the children are making.

Ginny walked over to her and gently placed her hand on Hermione's arm. Hermione turned with a start but smiled seeing Ginny and hugged her.

"Thank you for coming, Ginny," said Hermione.

"Don't be silly," Ginny replied.

The two friends remained embraced for a while. Eventually Hermione broke away.

"I'm sorry we weren't here sooner. We were completely out of contact until this morning," explained Ginny.

"I understand," said Hermione putting the kettle on. "It's nothing really, I'm sure."

"It isn't nothing, Hermione."

Hermione didn't say anything.

"I've just come from the office. I've been allowed to take charge of the case and I've pretty much got whatever people and resources I need."

"Thanks, Ginny," said Hermione smiling. "I really appreciate you helping."

"I went there expecting an argument about it, actually. I think everyone else was afraid to take the case on and get all the bad press if they failed."

"Still, I'm really much happier knowing you are in control."

"It's too late today, but I'll want to hold a briefing here tomorrow morning at ten o'clock. It's lucky the children are on holiday. They should be safe to play in the back garden but no friends can visit until I say so."

Hermione nodded.

"The other thing is, Harry is going to stay here until this thing is over. He's the best there is at this kind of thing and I'm sure you wouldn't want to have a stranger here."

Hermione looked undecided but eventually nodded.

Ginny realised the bedlam in the living room had stopped and turned to see a concerned looking Harry in the doorway. Ginny smiled at him and left to find the children.

She found them in the hallway looking at their parents, each wearing a concerned look.

"Hey, don't I get a hug?" she asked them, her arms outstretched.

They grinned and she almost fell over as the eldest two hugged her. The third child was still looking intently towards the kitchen. She started to move when Ginny managed to grab her.

"Let's give them a moment, shall we?" Ginny whispered. "Come on, I want to speak to you. Let's all go into the living room."

Ginny carried the youngest into the large room and the others followed. She sat on one of the easy chairs with the small child on her lap.

"I missed you all so much," she told them warmly. "We would have been here sooner but we were working."

"Is Dad staying?" asked James, looking hopefully back to the door. He was the eldest child. Almost eleven, he would be attending Hogwarts for the first time in September. James looked incredibly like his father, complete with messy black hair and green eyes. He was also the most reserved of the children and preferred to hide his feelings.

"He will be staying here for a few days," Ginny told them all. "He's here to protect you and your Mum. Both your parents are going through a lot just now. I want you all to be on your best behaviour, okay? Do whatever they ask without arguing and try not to fight amongst yourselves."

All three children turned to see Harry escorting Hermione past the open door and up the stairs. Hermione was clearly upset and trying to use Harry as a shield to prevent the children seeing. All three, however, realised she had been crying and immediately showed signs of becoming upset themselves. Ginny wished she'd thought to close the door.

"She's tired and worried," said Ginny gently. "Once your Mum's had some sleep, she'll be fine."

"What's going on?" asked Ron, the second eldest child. Ron's nature was to be direct and he had always been her particular favourite, being named after her late brother. Unlike James, Ron wore glasses and preferred to have his brown hair cut short.

"I don't know everything myself, yet," admitted Ginny. "I'll be back tomorrow morning and I promise I'll tell you what I can so long as your Mum and Dad say it's okay. Your Dad will be back down as soon as Mum is asleep. Do you want me to stay with you?"

"No thanks," said James. "We'll be good."

Ginny smiled warmly at him and made to get up. The youngest child, however, held her tight.

*

At a little before ten o'clock the next morning, Ginny entered the Potter's kitchen after checking on the Aurors outside. She stopped in the doorway and smiled at the sight before her.

It had been ages since she'd joined them all for breakfast. It was chaos, and there appeared to be several conversations going on at once.

Hermione looked much happier than she had yesterday. They all did, and the children's laughter made Ginny's smile widen.

Harry looked up and grinned at her before returning his attention to his youngest child.

"I think you should go and get dressed, young lady," Harry said to his daughter. She was six years old, the image of her mother. She just looked up at her father with a mischievous grin.

"You can't give me orders," she said defiantly. "You said Aunty Ginny was in charge."

Harry looked quite dumbfounded for a moment as the others, including Ginny, fell about laughing.

"I did say that, didn't I?" he admitted, smiling.

Lily nodded, assuming her well practised saintly expression as she casually licked the marmalade from her fingers.

"I think anyone that clever this early in the morning deserves a tickle," said Harry reaching over.

Lilly screamed and laughed as she ran out of the room. Ginny watched Lily disappear up the stairs before entering the kitchen.

"What are you going to do today, boys?" she asked.

The boy's smiles vanished at once.

"They promised to tidy their rooms this morning and sort out the toys they've finished with," said Hermione as the boys pushed their plates away and went upstairs. Ginny would have liked to see them argue or at least grumble a bit.

Almost at once there came a loud plea from upstairs.

"Mum, come and do my hair!" shouted Lily at the top of her voice.

Ginny grinned at Hermione and said, "Take your time."

Hermione smiled back and said, "I won't be too long," as she exited the kitchen.

"How are you doing?" Ginny asked gently as soon as she'd gone.

Harry shrugged looking out of the window.

"I'm not sure I should be here," he said quietly.

"Harry, you're an Auror. This is what you do. Name anyone else you'd trust to do the job as well and I'll get them."

"There's you."

"Except I can't be here and get to the bottom of this, can I?"

Harry shook his head.

"Harry, this is the one place you can make a real difference," said Ginny. "You are involved personally. There's no way you can have anything to do with the investigation."

Harry nodded again, but this time Ginny knew he meant it.

*

Hermione sat down in the living room with Ginny. Harry had just gone upstairs to warn the children that they were beginning the briefing and that the living room would be sealed shut for a few minutes.

Hermione gave an amused snort to herself and then explained, "I found all four of them on this couch this morning. I'm surprised Harry could breathe, let alone sleep."

"They've missed him," said Ginny gently.

Harry entered the room and closed the door. He sealed the room to ensure they weren't disturbed or overheard. Apparently out of habit, he also swept the room with his wand to ensure there were no eavesdroppers or unexpected guests. It was all part of an Auror's paranoia.

"Thanks," said Ginny, pulling out a large file. "This morning I'd like to go over what we have from the beginning and see if either of you can suggest anything we aren't already doing. In addition, I would suggest that you agree between you what we are going to tell the children. I think they deserve to know the truth."

Harry sat down next to Hermione and said, "I'm sorry, but I've already told James. We spoke last night and I'm fairly sure Ron was listening too. Lily was sound asleep though."

Hermione looked at Harry, clearly a little annoyed that she hadn't been consulted beforehand.

"James told me last night that he thought all this was his fault. I just wanted to put him at ease."

Hermione nodded, accepting Harry's explanation.

"Why did he think it was his fault?" asked Ginny.

"I shouted at him earlier in the week," admitted Hermione. "He broke one of Lily's toys but wouldn't admit it or say he was sorry. I shouldn't have taken it out on him. I know he's been worried about starting a new school. That's why he's been acting up lately."

Harry moved over and placed a comforting arm around Hermione.

After a moment, Ginny said, "Okay, are we ready to begin?"

Harry and Hermione nodded.

"According to this file, a total of thirteen threatening letters have been received by Hermione's office. The first was some eight months ago, but these were only reported recently."

"I thought they were just from some harmless crank," said Hermione. "The early ones were hardly threatening, just offensive."

"But they grew more serious," continued Ginny, "and more frequent. And the last also contained specific threats and information about the children's habits and movements."

Hermione nodded.

"They also arrived though the internal Ministry post," said Ginny. "The post wizards are sure they didn't come in the external mail. We are checking their records now, but I know the head of department well and I trust her. All of the people who work there deal with the most sensitive mail the Ministry has, so I don't think they are lying.

"We have examined the letters themselves. They are entirely unremarkable in terms of parchment and ink. A couple of things stand out though."

"What are they?" asked Harry.

"Our examination shows that the letters were not produced using any form of magic. In addition, the handwriting suggests that the person writing them might have been under the influence of the Imperious curse."

"Good grief," breathed Hermione. "It could be anyone."

"I don't agree," said Ginny. "We're still investigating the letters, but can you tell me whether or not you've ever been called anything similar? I'm thinking of the Mudblood taunts."

Hermione shook her head. "Draco Malfoy never missed an opportunity to insult me, but it's been years since I've seen him."

"It wasn't Malfoy," said Ginny. "We are looking for someone who is afraid to be identified. Draco enjoyed taunting you but if you didn't know it was him he wouldn't bother."

Ginny sighed and asked, "Do you trust my judgement?"

"Of course we do," said Hermione.

"You appreciate that there's a lot more to this investigation than I'm telling you."

Harry nodded and smiled.

"Well, I think there's more to this. The last letter, the one that included all the threats to the children, had an interesting sub-text. That was actually the first letter I read. I think it revealed more than the writer intended."

"How do you mean?" asked Hermione. Ginny didn't answer but closed her file carefully.

"Let's leave Ginny to explain when she's ready," said Harry gently.

Ginny smiled and nodded.

"Listen," she said gently. "I love you both and I would never dream of interfering in your private lives. I am taking this investigation in a number of directions, but my main hunch comes right back here to you two and your situation. I have to know what is going on between you. I promise none of what you tell me will go on record."

Hermione looked at Harry. They both nodded at the same time. Ginny smiled but noticed Hermione's hand wander to her cardigan pocket.

"Do you want to talk about it with me together or separately?"

"I'd rather we stayed together," said Harry. Hermione nodded again and clasped her hands together.

Hermione wiped her eyes and began.

"I asked Harry to move out about eight weeks ago. It was after that front page article appeared in the Daily Prophet."

"There must have been hundreds of stories about Harry having affairs in the past," said Ginny. "Why was this one different?"

"I believed it."

"Okay, but why believe this particular story?"

"A number of things. Apart of the picture of them coming out of the restaurant, the detailed interview they gave and all the separate gossip articles. I even contacted the writer. He said it was an open secret they'd been having an affair for ages and now they wanted to be open about it before announcing our split."

"That doesn't really sound like Harry, though, does it?" observed Ginny.

Hermione shrugged and said, "He'd been spending more and more time away. I also couldn't find anyone to contradict the rumours."

"Harry, what's your version?"

"I went to that restaurant to have dinner with Remus. I had dinner with Remus and he flooed home. I decided to look around the shops and left via the front entrance. This woman, that I'd never seen before nor since, grabbed my arm and suddenly all these photographers appeared. I didn't think anything of it until the next day. I haven't given the Daily Prophet an interview since Rita Skeeter, and I'd hardly start now. As far as announcing our split, do you really believe I'd tell the press before discussing it with you, or that I'd leave the kids to read about it in that rag before we told them together?"

Harry sighed deeply and said, "I told you last night, Hermione. I love you. There's only ever been you and you are the only one I want."

Harry looked over to see Ginny frowning slightly.

"Hermione, you still don't believe him, do you?" she said.

"We had a row before I left," admitted Harry. "I said Hermione shouldn't need proof that I've always been faithful to her. I said if she doubted me, then no amount of evidence will be enough."

"Do you two row often?"

"Never before then," said Hermione sadly.

"That's what I thought," said Ginny, looking happier.

"What is it, Ginny?"

"Um, I'd rather not say yet. I will say this though. I can't go two days without having a blazing row with someone. For me, that's normal. You two never row, though. You discuss, agree or disagree. It's how you are. Even today, Hermione agreed Harry was right to tell James. You two are still communicating, even if one of you was incredibly stupid."

"Hey, why am I the stupid one?" asked Harry without hesitation. Ginny smiled.

"Harry, that was the stupidest thing to say. When you had your row, that is," said Ginny. "By the way, Hermione. Harry has been staying with me since you kicked him out. All he does is mope around and eat my biscuits. He hasn't been out with anyone else."

Hermione nodded.

"Now, why didn't you ask Lupin what happened that night? He confirms Harry's story."

"I didn't want Remus to have to lie to me," said Hermione. "I knew he'd say whatever Harry wanted him to."

"I was afraid you'd say that," said Ginny getting up.

"Hey, you're not stopping there, are you?" protested Harry.

"This briefing was for my benefit, not yours," Ginny replied grinning.

"Did you find out how much the Prophet paid for the original article?"

"They didn't pay anything and that woman hasn't been found yet. She may have used a false name, but we're still hopeful of finding her."

"So you believe Harry?" asked Hermione weakly.

"I do, Hermione, but my belief doesn't count, does it?" Ginny replied gently. "I think there was another reason you didn't believe Harry. A seed of doubt was planted, and I want you to think about where it came from. Tell me anything you think might help, but meanwhile; I've got a couple of things to look into."

"Ginny, can we relax the ban on visitors?" asked Hermione. "I really need to catch up with work. Right now I can't even have my office post."

"No visitors yet and no post," confirmed Ginny. "Quite apart from the obvious fact that you both need a break, you are all still at risk. I want you to put all your efforts into protecting those three kids and each other. From now on, do as many activities as you can that keeps you all close. Keep them up late in the evenings, too. I truly hope I'm wrong, but a physical attack must be anticipated. If it happens it may be brutal. That's why Harry has to stay here. I hate using you like this, but we need you as bait."

"We understand," said Harry. "Should we change the family wards?"

"No. It's someone close to one or both of you. We need them to show themselves."

*

As Ginny made her way back to her office, she thought how glad she was that neither Harry nor Hermione had pushed her for her theories.

She hoped more than anything that they'd spend the time together getting to trust one another again.

She had pleaded with each of them privately to tread carefully and to be as understanding as possible. Ginny knew how much they loved and missed each other. She also took the opportunity to warn them. If she was right, the culprit might be flushed into the open quite soon. This might well prompt an attempt to harm the family.

Ginny smiled as she looked at the activity map in her office. It only showed the location of each Auror working for her on this case. The Minister was going to have a fit when he found out how much this investigation was going to cost.

She thought Harry had an inkling that this whole thing was more than a few threatening letters. She was sure, though, that neither Harry nor Hermione had any idea of the number of people who had volunteered to help. Of course, some of these volunteers were also suspects. Ginny had to be careful, but she'd been staggered by the shear number of people that had personally benefited from the charity work that both Harry and Hermione had engaged in over the years.

A knock on the door drew her attention away from the map. A hooded wizard entered the room and handed her a sealed scroll.

Giving her the subtlest of hand signals, Ginny understood this information was important. The wizard drew out his wand and stood guard watching the open door while she read.

Ginny unsealed the scroll and read, taking care not to react or speak. Even as an experienced Auror, Ginny found it very difficult not to say, "Impossible!" out loud. She destroyed the scroll at once and went over to the waiting wizard who hadn't moved. She touched him on the shoulder and said, "Thanks. Now disappear until I call for you. Trust no-one."

He nodded and Disapparated immediately, something only an Unspeakable could do from that point.

Ginny extinguished the lanterns in her office with a wave of her wand. She closed the office door and placed several locking spells on the door. Satisfied the room was secure, she left to submit her nightly progress report.

*

"Pompous old windbag," muttered Ginny as she stormed back to her office with a trainee Auror in tow. "Honestly, does he really think we've got nothing better to do? That old git kept us there over an hour longer than necessary."

"Did you leave your office unlocked, Miss Weasley?" asked the young man nervously as they approached their offices.

Ginny had seen that her office door was slightly ajar. She was impressed that the junior had even seen it from that distance. Ginny gave him a signal to be quiet.

"Listen," she whispered. "Stay here and watch. I'm going in there. If I get killed, run for help. Don't try and help. Clear?"

The young man nodded nervously and Ginny turned and silently approached the door. She extinguished the corridor lights and could see there was a dim light coming from her office. It moved. Someone was still in there.

She gently pushed open the door. Someone was rifling through the papers in her desk. A filing cabinet was open as well. All of the files she had left on the case were there. Of course, she hadn't left anything of importance here.

She entered the room, confident that the intruder hadn't heard her.

Without warning he turned and fired multiple stunning spells at Ginny. She dived and returned fire, perhaps with a little more force than she intended. The cloaked figure collapsed in a heap. Ginny stood, kicked away the stranger's wand and fired a precautionary stunner at point blank range into his back.

Ginny went back to the door and shouted, "It's okay, Peter. You'd better come and witness this."

The young man ran to the door. He was shaking.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his voice full of nervous excitement.

"Yes," said Ginny. "Let's see if we know who this is."

Peter turned him over, saying, "I think he's dead. Oh, my. Look who it is."

Ginny ran over and threw floo powder into the fire. She aimed her wand into the flames and sent a silvery shape flying into the green flames.

"I'll need you to report this. Peter, you still with me? I have to get to Hermione and the children now."

Peter was staring at the face of the intruder. Ginny shook him again.

"Peter, I need you to report this. Please," pleaded Ginny.

Peter looked up at her and nodded.

"Okay," he said. "But what was he doing here? Was he trying to find something?"

"Just report, Peter. I have to go now."

"But you just killed Harry Potter."

*

Ginny Apparated outside the Potter's home to discover the Aurors missing from their posts. Her momentary anger was almost immediately replaced for a feeling of concern. She wondered what was happening inside the house. Everything looked normal from outside.

Realising she would have to deal with the missing Aurors later, she Apparated into the house as quietly as she could. The lobby was empty. Ginny ran towards the living room, almost kicking the doors down.

Inside, Hermione was huddled in the middle of the room. Her arms were around her three children, who looked scared by her sudden entrance.

Ginny raised her wand to the figure sitting next to them.

"James, I want you to hand your Dad's wand to Hermione. No fuss now."

"What's going on, Ginny?" asked Hermione.

"I asked you to trust me," said Ginny, not dropping her arm. "I also said it would be brutal when it came."

James looked down to see his father's wand lying on the carpet within easy reach.

"It's okay, James," said Harry calmly. "Do as Ginny asks."

James grabbed the wand and immediately handed it to Hermione. She had her own wand out now, and pocketed Harry's wand. James and Ron moved at once to hold and protect Lily, just how they'd been told. This left Hermione clear to cover them all.

"I'm afraid your accomplice was killed this evening," said Ginny, staring at Harry. "I caught him rifling through my office. He looked just like you, Harry. I've never beaten the real Harry Potter, though. It must have been Polyjuice Potion. If I hadn't walked out in the middle of the Minister's nightly speech, I might never have known."

Ginny moved further into the room, not taking her eyes off Harry.

"Polyjuice Potion is quite remarkable, isn't it? Almost undetectable. Almost. For ages, I thought someone living was impersonating someone dead. Tonight, I found out it was the other way around."

Hermione was listening intently to what Ginny was saying, as were the children.

"The real Harry knows quite a bit about Polyjuice Potion as well, you know? I must admit I was completely taken in. It was also a really nice touch to surrender your wand like that. After all, the real Harry Potter can defend himself without a wand, can't he?"

Ginny had moved sideways, clearly selecting her best angle of attack.

"You know what finally gave you away?"

The man that looked like Harry in every respect did not react at all. He continued to stare impassively back at Ginny.

"The real Harry Potter loves his family more than anything. He'd die for them. All of them. You? You just want to watch them die, don't you? You just had to be in for the kill. After all these years. You had to be here, didn't you? Up close and personal."

Ginny took one quick step forward and shouted, "Stupify!"

The red stunner of extraordinary strength blasted just over Harry's head and hit something invisible standing directly behind him.

A low groan was heard.

Harry leapt to his feet and said, "Accio cloak!"

He held out his hand and caught the invisibility cloak. Ginny stooped and picked up the stranger's wand.

Hermione gave a muffled cry and pulled the three children away.

Ginny and Harry stood over the wretched figure that had collapsed backwards. He was barely recognisable. Filthy dirty, emaciated, and almost blind, he grinned back at them. He had several missing teeth and those that remained looked diseased.

Hermione got up and came over, trying to recognise the figure.

"Why?" demanded Harry.

"Why? You have no right to live. None of you do. You denied me all this. It should have been mine."

Hermione covered her mouth and said, "Oh my," as she at last recognised the pathetic figure.

"We thought you were dead," whispered Hermione. "Why didn't you come to us?"

"He was afraid we would kill him," said Ginny coldly.

Harry nodded grimly.

"What?" asked Hermione, clearly shocked.

*

Ginny called for the assistance of two Aurors to take the intruder into custody. Once they had gone, Ginny organised additional Aurors to keep watch outside while she went back to the Ministry. She insisted Harry remain with Hermione and the children, but suggested they go to the Burrow.

Ginny returned to her office for a couple of hours just to be alone for a while and think things through. On the one hand, she was appalled of the side of herself that had shown so much coldness and lack of compassion. It had scared the other Aurors and it certainly scared her as well. In the end she decided she was right; she had finished mourning years ago. She resolved not to begin that painful process over again.

It was late into the evening before she returned to find them all having a subdued meal together in the Burrow's kitchen.

Ginny sat down and handed the album to Harry.

"Thanks," he said as Molly Weasley placed a cup of steaming coffee in front of her.

Hermione eyed the album suspiciously and then looked at Harry.

"I want them to know," he said gently.

Hermione looked like she didn't entirely approve and Mrs Weasley looked between them with a confused expression.

"What do you want them to know, Harry Dear?" she asked.

Ginny sighed and got up. She went over to her mother and hugged her, immediately questioning her resolve. There was a small pop and beside them stood Arthur Weasley looking grave.

He looked at Ginny and asked, "Have you told her yet?"

*

A few minutes later they left Mr Weasley comforting his wife in the kitchen while they retired to the small living room.

Harry opened the album on the low coffee table and they all crowded around it to see the photographs.

Harry smiled when he got to the photographs he was looking for. The album was open at a page that had only two large pictures. One was a photograph of Harry, Hermione and Ron together just after their graduation from Hogwarts. The second picture was just of Ron and had been taken a few weeks later, when he had more fully recovered from the final battle.

Pointing down, Harry explained.

"This, Ron, is who you were named after. Ron Weasley was the first friend I ever had and he was my best friend, and your Mum's best friend, at school and after. He was brave, loyal and had a great sense of humour. He was also Aunt Ginny's brother and Molly and Arthur's son."

Hermione smiled looking down at the photographs. Harry was sitting in his wheelchair looking worn but happy. He had insisted that he would attend their graduation even though it probably cost him another week in hospital to recover. Hermione was kneeling next to him, grinning with Harry's Order of Merlin medal hanging on a ribbon around her neck, and holding Harry's hand. Ron was standing behind them, grinning and waving.

"He starting training to be an Auror at the same time as your Dad," continued Ginny, wrapping her arms around Ron and hugging him as he looked down at the album. "He was killed just before he completed his training."

"Ron and I were assigned to watch a warehouse through the night," said Harry. "We were discovered and there was a running fight. We managed to almost get to safety when they cornered us on a footbridge over a river. We became separated. I thought he'd got to safety but Ron must have stopped to hold them up while I went for help. I was on the other side when I heard Ron shout and then there was a splash. We never found his body."

"What isn't widely known is that Ron's death was regarded as suspicious for quite some time after," said Ginny. "Harry uncovered a mole in the Auror department within a month of him qualifying. He also found some very incriminating papers that suggested that Ron may have been passing information for some time. These same papers enabled the Aurors to mop up the remaining Death Eaters, but Ron's involvement wasn't made public."

"Why did the Death Eater's help Ron stage his death?" asked Hermione.

"Well, in retrospect it seems obvious they didn't," replied Ginny. "They really were trying to kill him. Ron's assessments of the training programme weren't good at all. It is highly likely he would not have qualified, according to reports that were released to me today. If he had failed, he would have become quite a liability."

"So that's why he needed to get away," added Harry. "I thought at the time it would be best if the full extent of Ron's betrayal wasn't made public. After all, he was still a hero from what he did in the fight against Voldemort. I confided in Ginny when she qualified and needed full access to the records."

"But why threaten the children?" asked Hermione. "In fact, why risk revealing himself at all, and why now?"

"This was all about revenge, Hermione," explained Ginny. "Harry had no option but to tell the instructors that Ron was struggling, and that was after all the extra training and help Harry was giving him. You know why he hated you, of course."

"I think hate is a big strong," said Hermione.

"Why did he hate you, Mum?" asked James looking up from the grinning photograph of Ron.

Hermione blushed a little and said, "Well, he sort of wanted me to go out with him. He was a little disappointed when I refused to drop your Dad."

"That is quite an understatement, given you put him in hospital after his last disappointment," said Ginny. "Anyway, after all these years of hiding and running, Ron appears to have become a little twisted. You saw the state he was in today."

"That man was him?" asked Ron incredulously, gazing down at the photographs.

"I'm afraid it was," said Harry gently.

"He hated you children simply because you represented the love between your Mum and Dad," said Ginny gently. "I hate to say it, but I'm sure you would have been next. I think it was his last chance before James went to Hogwarts."

"The plan was for Ginny to kill me," said Harry, "and then for Ginny to kill the children and you under the Imperious curse."

"No," whispered Hermione through her fingers as Ginny nodded sadly.

"I had to make him think I really was going to kill Harry because I thought he was an impostor," said Ginny. "I needed to be sure he was in the right place. I knew he had all of you all covered."

"By the way," asked Harry, "how did you know I wasn't really an impostor?"

"Please," said Ginny rolling her eyes and releasing Ron who turned to look up at her. "No impostor could ever fake that dopey look reserved for Hermione."

"I do not have a dopey look!" said Harry indignantly.

"Yes, you do, Dad," said James at once.

"It's true," added Ron grinning.

"Dopey Daddy!" shouted Lily.

Hermione blushed again and smiled at Harry. Ginny grinned, knowing that things between them were going to get better between them now.

"I still don't understand," said Hermione. "Ginny, you said something about an accomplice."

"Yes. It was clever. Harry is the only person who could get through the wards on my office if he really needed to. The accomplice used Polyjuice Potion to take Harry's appearance and the office door let him in. I came back early though and caught them. I think he was poisoned and Ron intended him to be found dead in the Ministry. That's why my stunner killed him immediately. I was to come back to your house thinking Harry was an impostor."

"What Ron didn't know if that we'd already detected raw Polyjuice Potion on one of the letters. We also found Ron's partial fingerprint on the last letter. I assumed someone was impersonating Ron for quite a while, I must admit. I knew it had to be someone close to you and I was pretty sure they could come and go freely."

"How long was he lurking around the house?" asked Hermione with a shudder.

Ginny shrugged and said, "Quite a while, probably. Long enough to leave that torn parchment note for you to find in Harry's pocket."

"Good grief," said Hermione. "How did you know about that? It was just a torn scrap."

"It was enough to think that Harry was exchanging secret messages, though," said Ginny. "Had you been thinking more clearly you might have realised that Aurors don't generally leave any traces of secret notes."

"Do you know who the accomplice was?" asked Harry as Hermione took the now worn parchment from her pocket and dropped it into the fire. Ginny smiled at her before returning her attention to Harry.

"Yes," answered Ginny. "His name was Gary Talon. He was a junior in Hermione's department for a while before he was sacked."

"But I don't remember him," said Hermione frowning.

"You got his job," explained Ginny. "He was sacked for pocketing some of the charitable donations. You never even met him."

"How did you know Ron was actually getting into the house?" asked Hermione.

"James," replied Ginny. "If James wouldn't say sorry for something, then it was because he didn't do it. He probably didn't like to say so, because he assumed his brother did it and would get him into trouble."

"Oh," said Hermione quietly. "James, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Mum," said James with a small smile.

"What did I do?" asked Ron.

"But how did Talon get back into the Ministry?" asked Harry. "He should have been detected even if he looked like me."

"We think he had inside help," said Ginny with a satisfied smile. "The Minister is helping us with our enquiries."

"No," whispered Harry in disbelief. "Why would he get involved?"

"Well, I'm sure he had no idea Ron was behind it all," said Ginny. "But you can't deny that you've humiliated him every time he's tried to take credit for the work done by anyone else."

"I just felt the credit should go where it's due," said Harry.

"He's a politician, Harry," said Ginny in an exasperated tone. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Dopey Daddy," said a yawning Lily as everyone except Harry arrysniggered.

"Thank you, darling," Harry said gently, smiling at his sleepy daughter. "So when do we interview the Minister?"

"I will decide that tomorrow," said Ginny smiling. "He'll also need to explain why he changed and then removed the Aurors on watch outside. Of course, you will not interviewing him at all."

"Just try and stop me," said Harry darkly. "His actions almost cost me my family."

"Harry, you are going to take a few weeks off. I've arranged for you all to get away. No one will bother you, and only I'll know where you are. I'll collect James when it's time to get his Hogwarts things."

Harry retained his rebellious expression.

"Lily reminded you that Ginny is in charge," said Hermione smiling. "Maybe we should all get away for a while."

Harry looked into Hermione's eyes and Ginny knew we would not refuse her. She also realised he would probably tease the boys a little before agreeing.

"Come on, Dad, please?" pleaded James.

"I'm not sure. If Ginny's arranged it, it's probably some run down shack on a beach on a tropical island surrounded by shark infested waters."

"Sharks! Are there really, Aunt Ginny?" asked Ron excitedly.

"There are no sharks in the sea, but there are sharks in the sea aquarium just down the road."

"But I was right about the shack, wasn't I?"

"The shack is a suite covering an entire floor of a five star hotel and no, it's not run down at all."

The conversation continued getting sillier until finally Ginny's watch chimed and she got up to leave.

"I'll be over with your Portkey tomorrow. Your house is a crime scene, so I'm afraid there'll be investigators all over it. If you need anything personal removing first please let me know. The hotel will provide you with anything you need, so you'll have no luggage. The Ministry will pick up the bill, so expect me for lunch on Sunday!"

"Ginny, we can pay for the holiday," said Hermione.

"No, it was a condition of my acceptance," said Ginny, putting on her coat.

"What are you talking about, Ginny?" asked Harry.

"I said I wouldn't take the promotion unless they paid for you to go away for a few weeks while I set myself up."

"Congratulations, Ginny!" said Hermione. "What is your new position?"

"I'm Harry's new boss, actually," she said hugging James and Ron goodbye. "The fools think I'm the only one he takes orders from. Don't give me away, will you? Thankfully, I managed to arrest the Minister before he changed his mind!"

Harry was staring a Ginny with a mildly shocked expression.

Ginny ignored him and stooped down to gently kiss Lily who was by now fast asleep in Hermione's arms.

"Sleep tight, sweetheart," she whispered before she rose to exchange kisses with Hermione.

"So what grade are you now?" asked Harry with a small frown.

Ginny smiled at him and said, "Just get ready to have a nice, long, relaxing holiday, Harry. Try to forget work for a few weeks."

"No way," breathed Harry in disbelief. "There's no way they gave you Chief Auror."

"Careful, Harry," replied Ginny brightly, "or I might have to make you Dopey Demoted Daddy."

END