Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ronald Weasley and the Subtle Knife by quizgirl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ronald Weasley and the Subtle Knife

quizgirl

RONALD WEASLEY AND THE SUBTLE KNIFE

Hi! This is a new story of mine. You can blame a little plot bunny that wouldn't leave me. Don't worry though, I'll still continue Harry Potter and the Curse of the Prophecy without any big delays.

This is a crossover between Harry Potter and His Dark Materials. However, there's not necessary at all for you to read His Dark Materials of Philip Pullman first to understand this ficlet. If you already have, good for you, I'm sure you enjoyed them just as much as I did!

Also, you should know that this fic is not going to be "a repeat" of the HDM trilogy. It's going to be plenty of new twists and action. =)

Enjoy, and remember to review!

^ - * - ^

Ch1: A CHILDREN'S WORLD

LUNA'S POV:

Luna was not in a good mood. Earlier that day, she had admitted to herself that she was growing up.

She had always feared growing up. That meant hard work, danger, money- and love problems... She would not be allowed to play anymore, and she would be forced to take the responsibility for her own actions.

It wasn't that she couldn't take care of herself, because she could, and it wasn't that she didn't have any responsibilities, because she had. The difference would be that, with growing up, everything would be much more serious. And if she couldn't do something, she wouldn't have any excuses anymore. As she was before, her dad (or any other grown up) would just pat her head and smile, because she had tried, even when she didn't need to, not really. Now, they would expect it of her, and nobody would smile and pat her head anymore. They would just shake their head in pity if she failed in something.

How tragic, they would think, no wonder she's a loony.

Oh well, she was a loony, she knew that. But until now she'd been a child. Until now, that had been her excuse.

No more.

Luna wished she could stay in childhood forever. But that would be impossible, now as she had discovered that she loved a boy named Ronald Weasley.

-

-

Luna hurriedly walked towards the next class -potions. Not her favourite subject, but it was okay. Snape usually left her alone.

Oh, she wished more people would do that!

"Watch it Loony!" someone said, and in the next second she felt a leg under her knee, and before she knew it she was laying flat on the floor. Her books, quills, and other school items were all over the place, and she noticed with dismay that her favourite ink bottle had shattered.

Slowly, she lifted her chin, and stared a tall, blonde Slytherin into the eyes boldly. He was one year older than her, and she didn't like him. Almost nobody did, but that wasn't it. He wasn't the only one who made fun of her.

Her cheeks burning, she focused on a spot on the wall, while she collected her items. At lest, that was what she tried to do.

More people had joined the hall, standing in a circle around her. Someone was laughing, and some of them were staring at her with pity in their eyes. However, no one offered to help. Luna reached out for her potion book, but just as her fingers touched the cover, someone kicked it away from her. Startled, she withdraw her hand quickly.

Cheeks burning even more, she instead reached for another bottle of ink - only to find that, too, being kicked away from her.

No, please, she begged inside herself, don't... I'm already late... please...

Realising that it was no use chasing after it - after all, they would only find it more funny and continue -she sat up and tucked a string of blond hair behind her ear. Turning to the even blonder Slytherin boy, Draco Malfoy, she asked:

"Are you done yet? I have Potions."

Draco looked only too happy to hear that.

"Potions, you say? Oh my, Professor Snape must loath the fact that one of his students is late... and missing the book no less! What do you say, Crabbe?"

Crabbe shrugged his shoulders. Draco sighed irritably, and said, "I need to take it myself then. Bye Loony!"

Luna bit the insides of her chin, biting back the tears. So unfair! She could just forget seeing that book for a while now. She had to order a new one. What would her father say? It had happened so many times... No, she corrected herself. She was an adult now, she could take care of it herself. She had to take care it. She would make money somehow, and then she would buy a new book herself.

Collecting the few items that was left and not destroyed, she lifted her bag over her shoulder and got up to her feet. She was five minutes late...
Snape was going to kill her!

With that in mind, she ran as fast as she could to the Dungeons.

-

Snape greeted her with a sneer. "Finally decided to bless us with your presence, Ms Lovegood?" Luna straightened her back and stared at him, trying to look unfazed.

"Twenty points from Ravenclaw, and two nights detentions, Ms Lovegood."

Luna nodded, then lowered her eyes to the floor. She had expected that much.

Someone snickered as she sat down on her seat, in the behind, alone, as she used to. Ginny didn't go to this class, unfortunately, or else she might be sitting beside her. If she was lucky. Gryffindor always had Potions with Slytherin.

The hour seemed to stretch on and on, but Luna was careful with the ingredients and managed her Strengthening Solution well above average. She didn't want Snape to have further reasons to give her even more detentions.

-

Dinner at the Ravenclaw table was never enjoyable, exactly. Luna didn't have any good friends in that house, and Cho Chang and her friends always made fun of her.

Luna frowned slightly of the memory of Cho from the year before; how she had bragged to be with the Harry Potter! She used to talk about him for hours, everything from what he said, till how cute he looked when he stroke his hand trough his hair when he was nervous or confused.

Sometimes Cho would glance at Luna for a brief moment as she bragged, as if telling her that Luna herself would never score with a guy, and that she could just continue dreaming. Luna had never really bothered to be worried about that, because she had always counted on that when she had grown up, these things would come naturally, and she wouldn't be shy anymore. That's what her dad had told her, some years ago.

Now, however, Luna was getting worried. Nobody seemed to notice her as anything more than a weirdo, and Ronald Weasley wouldn't even look her way if he didn't have to. No, he was too busy staring at Hermione.

Sighing softly, Luna continued to gaze at the Gryffindor table, were Ronald was. He looked so handsome; with a lot of fierce, red hair, hazel eyes, and not a few muscles from the popular wizarding sport Quidditch.

Every now and then he would look up from his plate, his lips chewing more food than he could swallow, nodding or shaking his head at something Harry or that Know-It-All said.

Luna didn't like Hermione. She didn't like how Hermione always had perfect scores, always charming the boys with her dazzling smiles, always getting Ronald's attention. Oh yes, she had them both tied around her little finger.

Luna didn't like how Ronald looked at her, how his eyes would lit up when she complimented him, or how he looked at Hermione when he thought nobody was watching.

However, - and Luna couldn't help but feeling a flutter of excitement in her stomach when she thought about it - something had changed since last year. That something was Harry.

Harry had also begun to notice Hermione. The two boys were fighting for her attention, and if Luna wasn't mistaking it was Harry Hermione was most interested in. She flirted with him a lot, lot more than she flirted with Ronald.

Bickering didn't count right?

Luna severely hoped not.

-

-

RON'S POV:

Some time later Ron was on his way to library, his stomach fluttering and twisting in excitement. Today was the day that he would tell Hermione that he loved her.

Ron grinned to himself. Hermione had said that she was over Krum ages ago, and they didn't even write anymore. She was now free, and if he wasn't mistaking she felt the same about him as he felt for her.

He couldn't be happier.

Hurrying his walk Ron trotted towards the library. Once inside, he turned to the corner Hermione always studied in, and searched for the familiar, bushy brown hair. (That he, by the way, had to convince Hermione to do something about.)

He was just about to call out to her when he noticed that she wasn't alone. Harry Potter -Soon-To-Be-X-best friend was with her. And they were not studying. They were exploring each others mouths!

At first Ron couldn't do anything but stare, but as soon as the present caught up with him he shrieked out:
"WHAT?!"

Madam Pince, the librarian, was horrified for the loudness he caused, but no more horrified than each member of the golden trio were at the moment.

"Ron!" Hermione gasped out, and Harry looked like he thought the same thing with equal shock.

Ron shook his head disbelievingly and turned on his heal.

"Wait!" Hermione called after him, and only a moment later he felt someone grab his elbow. "Wait... We were going to tell you! I swear, we didn't mean to keep it a secret, but it was no time we saw fit to tell you!"

"Oh yeah?" Ron hissed. "You can go and tell that bastard of a scar-head to go and fuck himself!"

"Ron!" Hermione hissed back, looking horrified. "You can't call him that! He's your best friend!"

The only reason Ron didn't punch her was because she was a girl and under his dignity. This was a betrayal beyond imagination! The-Boy-Who-Got-Everything had gotten the girl too! HIS GIRL! Hermione!

"I don't care who he is anymore!" Ron shot back. "I HATE YOU BOTH!"

Then he left, only a moment before the angry librarian could yell his head off.

Little did Ron know that this was the last time he would see either of his best friends for a good, long while.

^ - * - ^

So, what do you think? Should I continue this?