Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ronald Weasley and the Subtle Knife by quizgirl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ronald Weasley and the Subtle Knife

quizgirl

Ch3: COMPANY

Company, always on the run

Destiny is a rising sun

I was born six guns in my hand

Behind the gun I make my final stand

That's why they call me

Bad company, I can't deny

Bad company

'Till the day I die

(-Bad Company - Bad Company.)

^ - * - ^

Luna didn't know what else she could do, so she ran. She felt ashamed for the sob that had just escaped her, but there was little she could do about it. She didn't even want to be in that situation! However, most importantly, she didn't want to leave him...

Not when she had finally figured out that she loved him. It wasn't fair.

Life isn't fair... she reminded herself, picturing her dad's face as she ran down the hall, blinded by tears. Sometimes things happen, and sometimes it's not good. It's only one thing to do then, and that's to remember the good times and move on...

But Luna didn't want to move on, even though she was an adult. Hogwarts had been, after all, her home for the last five years. That was a long time.

Oh, she wished that she hadn't met Ronald! He was making it a thousand times harder for her to leave!

At first, when she had realized that leaving Hogwarts was the only possibility to stay alive, she hadn't minded so much. She had always known that she had to return to her home one day, and she never felt truly at home in the old, magical castle. It was still her home of course, but sometimes, especially when she was younger and the other girls were mean to her, she felt like her beautiful Consilium had been the only thing that kept her standing up and go through another day. Later when she had been a little older she had begun to notice Ronald, and that helped a lot. When she thought of him she felt like she could daydream forever and people couldn't hurt her so much as they usually had. She never showed her vulnerability to anyone of course - the years at Hogwarts had taught her that - instead she had fun for herself.

Yet, watching Ronald had become more than a hobby for her. It was more like an obsession, and her eyes would automatically search for red hair and follow him with her eyes everywhere and anywhere he went.

He was her King, and now she was leaving him. The chance for seeing him again was close to zero. He would find someone and start a family, and then he would forget about her... If he hadn't already, she knew he had called her Loony behind her back a couple of times.

Only the thought of it was close to unbearable, but she had to go on, there was no other way. She needed to get over him, quickly, because she wasn't safe. She could die any moment.

Luna speeded up, keeping an eye on Consilium who was flying in front of her, understanding her distress and showing the way at the same time. Luna found comfort in her companion; at least she had one that would never leave her.

Unless they died... No, she couldn't think about that now, she had to go on.

With the blue and yellow backpack dumping against her back, she rounded a corner, almost crashing into a fifth year Slytherin in the process, ("Hey Loony! Watch where you're going!") and kept running.

The problem was that someone was following her.

Her heart jumping in horror, she pressed her body to run faster than she had in her entire life. Hopefully she could shake the other person behind her off before whoever it was could stop her. No such luck though; the running footsteps behind her didn't fade, in fact they seemed to come closer. Whoever it could be was terribly fast! Gasping for air, Luna began to feel the muscles in her shoulders stiffen, but she couldn't give up. If only she could make it to the entrance, then maybe she could escape in the Forbidden Forest or to the small village Hogsmade. There she would be safe for a little while longer at least.

Not too long now...

She was running so fast that she almost couldn't see where she was or where she was going. Only the white and golden blur in front of her told her that Consilium was still ahead of her and that they were on the right way. She ran past several other students, but she didn't register who it was. Not that it mattered much; she had no real friends to say goodbye to.

She was almost there - she could see it, in the end of the hall - when she heard someone shout out something behind her. A second later a stunner hit her back. With a startled cry she felt herself fall and everything went black.

-

Luna groaned and opened her eyes. For a second she didn't realize where she was or where she was going, but then everything went up for her and she sat bolt upright. She was still in the hall.

Automatically she searched for Consilium, and found him a little in front of her. Obviously her beloved dæmon had felt the stunner too, and had just woken up as she had. As soon as Consilium saw her he gave out a little cry and flew into her arms, and Luna hugged him tightly, waiting for her capturer to do something. When nothing happened she slowly got up to her feet.

"Hi Luna," someone said, and she span around only to see someone she had thought she would never see again. It was the most beautiful sight ever.

Ronald?

She stared at him disbelievingly, not able to believe he was there. It couldn't be... However, when brown eyes met her own, it was suddenly no doubt in the world; It truly was him.

The Weasley looked uncomfortable and out of breath, his hair almost as messy as his best friend's usually was.

"Sorry about that," he said awkwardly, but she couldn't stop looking at him. Why had he followed her?

"That's... okay," she said, finally breaking the gaze and released Consilium who immediately flew to her shoulder. His weight made her feel a little safer, and she managed to take a few calming breaths, preparing herself for running again. Ronald looked confused, and he didn't seem to know where to look.

"What's up?" he asked, but Luna shook her head furiously.

"There's no time to explain, I need to get away. They're after me, but I swear I didn't do anything! Promise!"

He studied her for a moment, taking in her red face and the panic in her eyes, before saying: "I... believe you. Where are you going?"

"Dunno - somewhere... anywhere but here really."

"I feel like doing the same thing," he said, and Luna was shocked the see an intense, bitter expression cross his face for a moment. She had never seen that before and she realized that something awful had happened.

"You got your friends-" she started, but was interrupted:

"No, I have nobody, and I don't wanna see them again… ever!"

Luna nodded, fighting to control her breathing. She had a sneaking suspicion why. "You can come if you want to."

The question was simple, yet it would make such a huge difference. The words had escaped her by accident, before she could think of what she was saying, and what that suggestion would mean. She regretted her words as soon as she spoke them, however, and when she saw his eyes widen she blushed deep red.

She could see him thinking, could see him hesitating. His weight shifted from one foot to the other. Still, she hoped that he wouldn't think too much, because she had to go, fast. She didn't have much time, maybe nothing at all.

Ronald sighed and looked at her, really looked at her, as if seeing her for the first time. Maybe he hadn't seen her before, Luna thought wildly. The question was: What did he see now?

Not daring to breathe, she kept looking at him, praying. Just as she opened her mouth to say that she couldn't wait any longer, he looked angry again, and to her astonishment, said: "Maybe I will."

Words couldn't describe what Luna felt in that moment. She felt happy, because he actually considered going with her, and she felt sad because she couldn't wait for him to figure it out. However, more than anything she felt angry. Angry because of the situation and for what could've been if she didn't have to leave that instant. Unless, of course, he was very spontaneous... was he?

Consilium's grip on her arm tightened and she felt his claws press into her skin. She didn't mind though, it actually gave her some comfort.

"Yeah?" she said, unsuccessful in her attempt to keep the hope and desperation out of her voice.

"Yeah."

"Do you want to?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"You're sure?"

"Not really."

"Oh."

"It can't be worse than being here though," said Ronald with a bitter laugh. "I mean, what can I possibly lose?"

Your future, your education... Luna thought, but she didn't say that out loud. The less he knew the better it was for the both of them, especially if he stayed behind.

"Sure you don't know where you're going?" he asked again and Luna shook her head sadly.

"No... But I need to get away, far away."

Ronald looked like he had something more to ask, but there was absolutely no time anymore. She shouldn't have stopped to talk in the first place.

"Look," she said, with a voice so serious that it didn't even sound like her, "I need to go now, it's too dangerous to stay any longer. Every second counts, and the risk is too high. I'm really sorry."

"What about food?" he asked, and sounded genuinely afraid to go hungry somewhere. Luna shook her head again.
"No, no time!"

"Right... We'll need to find or buy something then. I hope you brought money in that backpack!"

Luna nodded shortly, and they both escaped outside. He really was coming with her! It was almost too much for her to believe. Her nerves, which had been half-busy to keep her head cold while talking to Ronald, was now back in full force. Consilium left her shoulder and started to fly in front of them again, up in the air.

They had just passed the Quidditch pitch, however, when they heard a voice - magically enlarged to reach over the whole area - shouts: "All students are to go back to their dormitories for the evening immediately. It is important."

"Bloody hell!" panted Ronald and gave her a funny look. "You really are in trouble!"

-

-

RON'S POV:

Luna let out a rather unladylike snort, but Ron saw her look towards the Forbidden Forest as if considering going there.

"No way!" he said hastily, slightly panicking. "We're not going to the forest!" Didn't she know that there were huge spiders, giants and centaurs there?!

She gave him a sideways look, but kept running. Ron couldn't believe the condition that girl had, he was already tiring. "Hogsmade it is, then," she said, and he nodded briefly.

He couldn't believe he was running away with Luna Lovegood! Then again, what really had made up his mind in the end was the thought of Harry and Hermione, snogging... Hermione, the girl he liked, and the Boy Who Got Everything. They betrayed him! They weren't his friends anymore! Nothing held him back to the castle, and besides, if he went missing for a while they would certainly worry about him. That would serve them right, Ron thought with a smirk.

Yes, he was glad he had the excuse to run away, even though it was not a very Gryffindor thing to do and the fact that he was going with the school's Loony.

Neither of the slowed down on their way towards the village. Ron was tired of course, but he had enough pride to not lose over some girl.

Normally it would take fifteen minutes walk, but they reached the small village in a matter of minutes. The village was as welcoming as ever, and the sun still gave a little amount of warmth to their already red faces. However, the question was: where should they go next?

Out of breath, they found a wooden fence and sat down on it. They could see a lot of small shops and houses, some in better condition than others. In the distance, on a hill, he could see the Shrieking Shack, still unoccupied because it was rumored to be `the most hunted building in Britain.' Ron knew that was a highly over exaggerated rumor of course, since that that was where they, he, Hermione and Harry, had met Harry's Godfather for the first time. That day had always been one of Ron's more favored memories, because that day Hermione had attacked a teacher. In other circumstances the memory would have made him grin and laugh, but now it was only too painful to even think about. He should've seen it then, that Hermione cared more for Harry than she did for him.

The April weather was surprisingly warm, and Ron was glad because he didn't have a good jacket. Not for the first time he wondered if what they were doing really was such a good idea after all. He wondered briefly if Luna would be mad at him if he changed his mind.

He glanced over at her and the peculiar owl on her other shoulder. He couldn't keep himself from staring, however. The owl was nothing short of beautiful, with a white chest and head, and a dark half circle over each eye that made the owl look wise and dreamy at the same time. It had golden wings, with blue feathers and spots in a pattern that seemed incidental, but purposeful at the same time. The owl and Luna seemed like they shared a special contact somehow, that was impossible to explain; it was like the owl was a part of her somehow and totally forbidden for others to even touch. He wondered what would happen if he tried to stroke its feathers...

Carefully, not able to resist, Ron reached out a hand behind Luna's head, to the other side where the owl was. He was just an inch from it, when Luna stiffened and the owl jumped from her shoulder and down to the fence beside her.

"What are you doing?" she asked, looking weary and slightly angry, and he quickly withdrew his hand. He felt like he had been caught stealing.

"Just, er, nothing," he stuttered, although he could see nothing wrong with touching that owl, or why she reacted that way. Luna turned her attention back to her pet.

"Go and see where we should go," she said, and the owl obeyed and flew away.

"What do we do now?" asked Ron, studying her closely. She shrugged.

"I dunno -I haven't thought that far... I figured I'd be much safer if I got here, but I don't think I am. They'll probably search the castle first, but they could have some way to track us down. If that's the case then they could be leaving right now... oh, that's not good..."

As she spoke, Ron could see her nervousness increase. It was in those moments she would lose the dreamy expression she always carried around, and straighten her back a little while looking around.

There was more to Luna than he thought, and that made him curious. He had to wait with asking questions though.

"It's getting cold, don't you think?" she said, stroking her bare arms absentmindedly, while looking after her owl. Ron noticed it too, it was even getting darker. How odd, he thought, it shouldn't be that late already.

He looked towards Luna again, and was surprised to see her shaking. Did she really get so cold that easily?

He was just about to ask her when they were supposed to get moving, when she suddenly gasped out, clutching her stomach, and then Ron's hand hard. "Consilium!" she breathed shakily, as though someone had just poured a bottle of cold water down her neck.

"What?" he asked, and winced when he felt her nails dig into his skin.

"Consilium!" she repeated, whimpering softly and squeezing her eyes shut. Ron began to worry that she might retch on him and shifted a little.

"Who's Consilium?" he asked worriedly, however, not unaware of the numbing feeling he got in his fingers where she still clutched him.

Luna didn't answer, but after a while she began to breath more normally again, and released the grip on his hand. Ron sighed with relief; he didn't know if he could've sat still like that much longer.

They sat in silence for a while, deep in thoughts. Ron was dying to know what that had been all about, but he knew better than to ask. Hermione had taught him something after all those years.

Suddenly the blonde haired girl jumped down from the fence, and in the next moment the owl came flying down to them, its eyes wide with alarm.

"Con!" said Luna with obvious relief, hugging the owl hard as though her life depended on it, and Ron finally realized that it was the owl she had meant, and that Consilium had to be its name. This time, however, the owl shook itself out of her grasp almost at once, and to Ron's huge surprise, said:

"You need to go. Dementors are coming."

^ - * - ^

8


-->