Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Golden Serpent by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Golden Serpent

jardyn39

The Golden Serpent by Jardyn39

Harry Potter sat down next to Hermione and Ron as they exchanged greetings with their fellow Gryffindor school friends. They were in the Great Hall just before the Welcoming Feast was due to begin, marking the beginning of their Sixth year at Hogwarts.

As was his custom, Harry scanned the teachers' table up at the front and noted with twinge of curiosity that Professor Snape was missing. He tried not to get his hopes up too high.

At that moment the great doors opened and Professor McGonagall led the nervous looking First Years into the hall for the sorting. Snape followed at the rear but it was only when they reached the front that Harry saw he was with a small girl. She was obviously very young. Harry guessed she was aged just seven or eight. She wore simple black robes that seemed to match her short dark hair.

The girl clung onto Snape's hand and looked nervously around at all the chattering students.

Professor McGonagall told the First Years to come forward when their name is called and place the Sorting Hat on their head.

"Professor Snape, would you bring your charge here first?" she asked smiling at the girl. It occurred to Harry that she looked quite formidable even when trying to be friendly.

Snape led the girl forward and whispered something to her. She then sat on the stool and Professor McGonagall placed the hat over the girl's head. It went down past her shoulders. All the while she kept tight hold of Snape's hand.

After a few moments the Sorting Hat shouted, "Gryffindor!"

McGonagall smiled as she lifted the hat off the now frowning girl. Harry wondered what the Sorting Hat had told her.

Snape looked a little disappointed with the Sorting Hat's selection, but still led the girl over to the Gryffindor table. Hermione smiled widely and made room next to her as she clapped.

The girl stopped and looked apprehensively at all the Gryffindors who were by now shouting and cheering their second new member. She looked up at Snape and shook her head. Snape bent down and she whispered something into his ear.

Snape shrugged his shoulders and led the girl back up to the staff table. Before they got there, Hagrid came into the hall and grinned at the girl. She broke away from Snape and ran towards him. Hagrid lifted the girl gently high above his head and brought her down gently onto a new chair and table setting that Professor Flitwick had just conjured. Smiling, Flitwick moved to make room and Snape sat on the other side of the girl.

She was now looking much happier and was grinning and laughing at something Hagrid was telling her.

"Looks like we're not good enough to sit with," muttered Ron to Harry.

"Don't be stupid, Ron," said Hermione sharply. "Can't you see how young she looks?"

Harry continued to cheer and clap until the sorting was over and the Headmaster stood, his arms outstretched.

"Welcome," he said warmly. "Welcome to another new year at Hogwarts."

*

After the last of the food was cleared from their plates, Professor Dumbledore stood again. At once the Great Hall became still.

"Firstly, I would like to introduce Carmen who is joining us a few years earlier than most of our First Years. She will be attending a number of classes but will not be following any particular structured syllabus. She will also not be subject to the house points system. I trust that you will all make her welcome and look out for her in what can seem at times to be an imposing place."

He turned to the girl and said with a smile and a short bow, "Welcome, Carmen."

Dumbledore turned back and made his usual start of term notices before sending the students to bed.

At once Hermione shot up and went over to the girl and introduced herself and offered her hand. Harry didn't follow Ron and the other students but instead hung back to wait for Hermione.

After a few words of encouragement from Dumbledore, Carmen took Hermione's hand and she led her over to where Harry was standing waiting.

"Hi," said Harry smiling.

"Carmen, this is Harry," said Hermione. "He's in Gryffindor like us and he's a Sixth Year like me."

"You are Harry Potter," she said at once.

"Um, yes," said Harry quietly, "I am."

"What is your favourite subject?" she asked as they walked towards the doors.

"I like Defence Against the Dark Arts best, I suppose," answered Harry.

She continued to question Harry right until they stood outside the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Did you come here on the Hogwarts Express?" asked Carmen.

"Yes, we both did," replied Harry. He kept on trying to include Hermione in the conversation but apart from keeping hold of her hand, Carmen completely ignored her.

Hermione smiled at Harry as they waited for Carmen to complete her questioning.

"I wish I could have come on the train," she admitted. "Why are we waiting here?"

"This is the entrance to the Gryffindor common room," explained Hermione smiling. "You need a password to enter and you have to remember it and keep it safe so no-one else can get in."

"What's the password?" she asked.

"Debello Creperum," said Hermione.

"Oh, Vanquish darkness," whispered Carmen.

"Welcome to Gryffindor," said the Fat Lady as she swung open.

They climbed through the portrait hole and into the common room, which was now deserted. Harry bid them goodnight and watched as they exited up to the girls' dormitories.

*

The next morning Harry and Ron went down for breakfast, as Ron had insisted they couldn't wait for Hermione. They were about to enter into the Great Hall when Harry noticed Carmen peering into the hall but apparently reluctant to enter.

"Hello, Carmen," said Harry. "Will you join us for breakfast?"

She smiled and Harry offered his hand.

She shook her head and said quietly, "I decided not to hold hands any more. It looks more grown up if I don't."

"Well, if you're sure," said Harry. "Sorry, Ron. No handholding from now on."

Ron rolled his eyes and Carmen giggled as they went in to find seats. Almost as soon as they'd sat down, Hermione rushed up and collapsed into a seat next to Carmen.

"I was so worried when I couldn't find you," she explained.

"I don't need to be treated like a baby all the time," said Carmen, taking a piece of toast from the plate Harry was offering her.

"Actually, I think Hermione meant us two," quipped Ron.

"Yes," agreed Harry. "We definitely need treating like babies."

Hermione snorted and Carmen giggled as Professor McGonagall came along the table handing out timetables.

"Here is your timetable, Carmen. We can adjust it later if necessary. Miss Granger, will you please ensure Carmen gets to her first lesson."

"Yes, Professor," she said.

"Oh, great," said Harry miserably. "We have Potions next."

"So do I!" said Carmen brightly.

"You're doing NEWT level potions?" asked Hermione looking at Carmen's timetable.

"It's my favourite subject," enthused the small girl. "Let's hurry so we get good seats."

"There's plenty of time," said Hermione. "What else are you doing?"

"Charms, Transfiguration and Defence Against the Dark Arts," Carmen read from her timetable.

"Good grief," said Hermione. "These are all NEWT classes."

"I wanted to do some of Hagrid's lessons too," she said sadly. "But he did promise I could help him if he needed to care for anything suitable!"

"That's nice," said Harry finishing his coffee.

Presently, they bid goodbye to Ron and the three of them made their way down to the dungeon for Potions.

*

The door opened and Snape beckoned them all in. This was NEWT level and so all of the houses were combined into this one class of just twelve students.

Carmen almost ran to the front of the class and claimed her position next to a large cauldron.

As there were only twelve cauldrons, Harry quickly realised that one of them would have to share with Carmen. Predictably, Neville Longbottom was left without a cauldron.

"Here, Neville," whispered Harry. "Take this one. I'll go up the front."

Looking relieved, Neville placed his things next to Harry's place as he made his way up to the front.

"Mind sharing?" asked Harry in a whisper.

Carmen looked like she did mind but quickly moved her stool over so Harry could sit next to her.

Snape slammed the door shut and swept to the front of the class where he gave his well practiced and venomous, "Welcome to NEWT Potions," speech.

*

Harry gulped at the complexity of the potion that had appeared on the board. Carmen looked completely unfazed and had even returned with all the ingredients before Harry had finished copying what they needed down.

Carmen chatted happily as they mixed the potion, telling Harry everything there was to know about each ingredient.

Harry quickly realised Carmen was extraordinarily talented. Not only were her small fingers nimble and accurate, but her knowledge of potions must at least rival Hermione's. Harry was certain anything less than a NEWT class would be well beneath her.

The only times Carmen needed Harry's assistance was lighting and controlling the fire under the cauldron and cutting open some of the hard seed pods they were using. In the first instance, she didn't have a wand and explained she wasn't allowed to play with fire. In the second, Harry had not wished to risk her hurting herself with the deadly looking knife they were using.

Satisfied with their progress, Carmen decided to take a tour of the dungeon.

Harry could hear her chatting with everyone and making suggestions. She spent ages with Malfoy explaining what he'd done wrong and why he might as well start again.

Eventually she returned just as Snape appeared to review their progress. He started with their potion.

"Well, Potter," he said looking into the cauldron. "I see you managed not to mess this potion up."

Snape's expression and tone then softened as he said, "Carmen, this potion is very well prepared. I congratulate you. However, Potter really has no talent for potions and I would ask you not to cover for his inadequacy in future."

Snape sauntered off leaving Harry fuming more than the potion in front of him. Harry recovered himself to see Carmen grinning up at him.

*

In transfiguration after lunch, Carmen sat herself down next to Hermione. Harry felt only slightly annoyed that his usual position had been taken.

Carmen took notes and even offered some answers to Professor McGonagall's questions, but she didn't take part in any practical work.

She did, however, clap loudly when Hermione, as usual, was the first to achieve her transfiguration.

*

After dinner, Harry and Ron went to the library to look up some things for their Transfiguration homework. Harry was determined not to get behind this year and it was late evening before they returned to the common room.

The room was deserted apart from Carmen who was curled up asleep on a chair on front of the fire.

Harry went over to her but Ron went straight upstairs. He gently shook her awake.

"You should go to bed," he said gently. "You'll get a much better sleep upstairs."

Carmen opened her eyes and slowly sat up, looking around the empty room.

"Are you alright?" asked Harry, realising she may have been crying earlier.

"I got upset earlier," she said wiping her eyes. "Hermione kept asking me about my family. I didn't want to talk about it but she kept on."

Harry sighed and sat down next to her.

"Hermione can be a little insensitive sometimes," agreed Harry. "She even manages to upset me sometimes, and she's one of my best friends."

"I know she didn't mean to upset me," said Carmen, "it's just that I didn't want to explain why. Do you mind talking about your family?"

"To be honest, I don't remember my real family at all," said Harry. "I suppose some things are easier to talk about than others. I can't stand it when people stare at my scar and talk about how I got it. They usually forget my parents were murdered at the same time."

Carmen nodded, staring into the fire.

"I should go to bed," she said yawning widely but not moving at all. "We've got Potions again tomorrow."

"Who are you going to help tomorrow?" asked Harry with a small grin.

"You of course," she replied. "If you're as bad as Professor Snape says, you need all the help you can get."

"Well, you're probably right, but how about letting me try on my own for a bit. You can still tell me where I'm going wrong."

"That's what Hermione was saying," she said getting up. "That's when she started quizzing me on where I got to know about potions. Was I wrong not to tell her?"

"No," said Harry, "not if you don't want to tell. Of course, I'm not very good at not telling Hermione anything she wants to know. I have Ron to distract her sometimes, though."

Looking half asleep, Carmen kneeled on the chair and gave Harry a peck on the cheek before wandering off upstairs.

"Goodnight, Harry," she muttered as she got to the stairs.

"Goodnight, Carmen," he replied with a smile. "Sleep well."

Harry sat for a few minutes staring into the dying embers. He was beginning to feel very tired now and thought he had better move before he didn't have the energy to move or change for bed.

He got up and turned. There before him stood Hermione, clutching herself in her dressing gown and looking anxious.

Harry went straight over to her and asked gently, "Are you alright?"

Hermione didn't reply but her watery eyes told him she wasn't. He held up his arms to guide her to a fireside chair but she immediately hugged him and began sobbing quietly.

"Hey, there's no need for all this," he whispered. "Carmen is fine. She was upset, that's all. She knows you didn't mean anything."

"I'm horrible," sobbed Hermione. "Trust me to make the youngest girl to come here in decades upset."

"You are not horrible, Hermione. Please don't say things like that or I'll start to cry as well."

"Well, I'm on a roll," she replied with a sniff.

*

Carmen had just dropped an armful of potions ingredients on the bench next to Harry when Snape came out of his office and came over to them.

"Carmen, may I ask you to accompany Draco for this morning's potion?" asked Snape politely.

"Of course," she replied brightly and at once picked up her stool, which was rather too big for her, and carried it a few feet next to Malfoy's cauldron.

Snape gave Harry a sneer and returned to his office. As Harry set to work, he glanced over to see Carmen happily chatting away to Draco as she prepared his ingredients.

A few minutes later, Harry turned to see Carmen returning from one of her excursions around the classroom. She was by now on first name terms with all of the class members and as they were no longer shy about asking her opinion on the potions they were preparing, it took her longer to complete a circuit.

"Hi, Harry," she said brightly examining his potion carefully and giving it a quick stir.

"Hi," he said smiling.

"This is quite good," she said, handing him back his ladle. "If you had ground the dried leg of horn-beetle a little finer the mixture would have been quicker to mature. I can't find anything else wrong at all so far! Watch out for the next couple of steps though. The trick is to wait a little longer until the mixture turns a deeper blue."

"Thanks," replied Harry as she returned to Draco.

As Harry sat and stirred his potion, waiting for it to mature, he was able to observe Carmen's interaction with Draco.

By the time she had returned to him after quite a long period of absence, he was obviously having some difficulty getting his potion to mature. Carmen immediately put Draco at his ease, complimenting him on his preparations before gently explaining what went wrong and tactfully suggesting how they might correct the situation.

Soon, Draco's potion was maturing well and as Harry proceeded with his own, he began to think about how good Carmen was. Not only was she exceptionally gifted in terms of her knowledge but it looked like she could teach well too.

He began to wonder how she acquired such abilities at such a young age.

Her knowledge might well be accounted for by access to wizarding books. Harry had never met a child prodigy, but he certainly thought that Carmen might be one.

Then he wondered about her interaction with everyone. She was certainly mature. He rather assumed that a gifted child would appear to be mature, but this didn't explain her teaching abilities.

Harry thought that in order to teach well, Carmen would have to be exposed to good teaching herself. Either she grew up amongst teachers or she herself must have been taught.

He wondered how her abilities would have been stunted if all she had was Snape to help her.

Then Harry wondered if Snape had indeed been part of her life outside Hogwarts. She was certainly close to him and he never showed anything but kindness and courtesy to her.

He was brought out of his reverie by the sound of Snape saying, "Excellent, Draco. Quite excellent. Full marks."

*

Harry was the last to enter the common room after returning from the first DA session of the year. He had spent most of the time dividing everyone up into three different ability groups, which he would teach separately. He had been quite staggered by the number of new members that wanted to join.

Actually, there were now to be two main DA groups, the third being restricted to himself, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville and Luna.

This third group was in order that he could stay ahead of the more advanced group as well as ensure that the six of them were sufficiently skilled.

Harry was surprised to find Carmen and Professor Dumbledore sitting in the common room. He was gently laughing and Carmen was standing with her arms crossed trying to look cross with him but actually giggling quite a lot.

"Well, Carmen, I'm sorry but there it is," said Dumbledore looking over to Harry. "There is absolutely no way I can allow you to have a wand unless you are prepared to promise to behave responsibly and-"

"-But I have promised," Carmen interrupted, stamping her foot in frustration.

"And," continued Dumbledore gently, "you can find a suitable teacher. Unfortunately all the staff are far too busy and Harry is far too occupied as it is."

"Oh but-" she began before stopping abruptly. "What about Harry? You never mentioned anything about Harry before!"

"Didn't I?" asked Dumbledore mischievously as Carmen marched over to Harry and dragged him over to the Headmaster.

"Harry, I want to learn how to use a wand," she announced. "Please will you teach me? Please?"

"Do you have a wand?" Harry asked looking over to Dumbledore.

The Headmaster reached into his robes and brought out a wand.

"Carmen, take this. Now give it a swish."

She did so and a wide arc of golden sparks flew from the wand tip.

Dumbledore stood and placed a hand gently on Carmen's shoulder to gain her full attention again.

"You may borrow that wand while you are here. Please take particular care of it. It belonged to someone very special to me and I'd be rather lost if anything happened to it."

"Thank you," said Carmen, her face glowing. "I promise to look after it."

"Don't be too disappointed if you are unable to do everything at once. It takes experience and maturity to perform advanced magic. Some things will be beyond you, especially as you will be using someone else's wand."

*

At first, Harry wasn't at all sure why Dumbledore had wanted him to teach Carmen to use her borrowed wand. He was sure that Professor Flitwick or even Snape could have found the time to help her. If any student was to teach her, Hermione would have been his first choice, not himself.

Carmen was very quick to learn, but still had difficulties.

Harry realised she could do just about anything he showed her, but she couldn't necessarily maintain her spells long enough to be of practical use.

Her Lumos charm shone brightly for a few seconds and would then fade. She could levitate objects momentarily before they would fall heavily.

Some of her best magic was actually quite advanced. Carmen insisted trying some of the advanced stunning and reductor spells that Harry was practising, and she was very good at these. Conversely, she couldn't maintain a shield protection for long at all. Still, she soon became a very worthy duelling opponent.

"Let's take a break," said Harry towards the end of a long practise session. He walked over and sat next to her on the matting they were using. She looked tired and frustrated.

"You have learnt as much over this last two weeks than I have in five years," said Harry wiping his forehead.

Carmen sighed heavily and said, "I've never had this much difficulty learning something new before, though. Why can't I hold my spells?"

"I think it may be two things," said Harry.

Carmen turned and asked, "What?"

"Well, first of all I can see, especially when we are duelling, that you are always thinking ahead. Your mind is on the next spell before you've even formed the current one. Normally that's a good thing, and if the current spell if a quick one, there's no problem. If you need a shield, you have to maintain it in your mind. That's what you need to achieve. The other thing is small distractions put you off. Just now I shot sparks at you and it completely put you off your stunner, didn't it?"

"Yes," Carmen admitted with a smile. "You fooled me completely."

"The second thing is just a theory, but we all start at Hogwarts aged eleven at least. There must be a reason for that. Something magical that begins to appear in us then. I wonder if you just need to get a little older."

"Yes, I was wondering that as well," she agreed. "I suspect the magic is there but it's the control that needs to develop."

"One last go before we turn in?"

"Okay."

Without getting up, Harry raised his wand and shouted, "Serpensortia!"

An enormous black snake erupted from the end of his wand. It immediately turned and raised itself up, fangs bared menacingly.

Carmen was frozen in horror.

"Come and say hello," said Harry in Parceltongue and the snake immediately dropped to the floor. It wound its way lazily over to Harry.

Seeing the snake was now completely harmless, Carmen raised her wand and repeated, "Serpensortia!"

A beautiful golden snake erupted from the end of her wand. This snake was tiny and graceful and showed no sign of aggression.

"Welcome," said Harry in Parceltongue. "Come over here and introduce yourself."

The snake came over and said, "My name is Hydrus, and one day I will become this girl's familiar."

Harry translated this to Carmen who looked quite delighted.

"Please say I am honoured to meet you, Hydrus," she asked and Harry obliged.

"I must leave now, for I have much to do before I become worthy. Tell the girl I will make contact with her shortly before she receives her Hogwarts letter."

"But will he be alright on his own?" asked Carmen with concern. "Could you ask this other snake to accompany him and protect him?"

Harry privately thought that the larger snake would be tempted to make a meal of the smaller one, but he nether the less asked the black snake if it would oblige. Both snakes considered each other and both agreed.

"Will you let us take you outside into the grounds?" asked Harry.

"Yes," replied the golden snake, "but you will pick me up and the girl must take the black snake."

Harry explained this to Carmen and she agreed at once.

As they made their way down to the main entrance, Carmen chatted happily away to the heavy black snake draped around her. She was quite unconcerned that the snake could not understand her, but continued to thank it for agreeing to look after her golden snake.

The small golden serpent rested lazily around Harry's neck.

"What do you know of her?" asked Harry quietly.

"Less than you do," replied the snake. "Whoever decided to bring her here this early showed great wisdom. So often have the powerful fallen to the dark side. By exposing her now to kindness and friendship, she may never be tempted."

"Was I wrong to show her how to duel?"

"It matters not. You are teaching her far more than mere magic."

*

Harry comforted a tearful Carmen as they watched both the snakes make their way into the forest.

Just before they were out of sight, Snape rushed out of the great doors and yelled, "What have you done?!"

Carmen stepped backwards in alarm. Harry, fearing she would fall down the steps, held out one arm around her back and pointed his wand directly at Snape with his other arm.

Snape lunged forward, trying to grab Carmen. She screamed and Harry pulled her away to safety but her foot slipped on the step tread. She fell painfully on her hands and knees onto the hard stone.

Harry didn't dare take his eyes of Snape for a moment, but Carmen had stopped screaming now. Her quiet long whine as the pain in her arms and legs grew just tore into Harry's heart. It drew from him an anger quite unlike he'd felt before.

Harry didn't hesitate. He took careful aim with his wand and shouted, "os-adflicto!"

Crack!

Snape immediately grabbed his now broken arm protectively as he staggered backwards a couple of steps.

"Potter, I'll," began Snape threateningly, before continuing to advance on Carmen again.

At that moment the doors opened and Dumbledore stood there assessing the scene before him.

"That will do," said Dumbledore warningly, "both of you."

Harry was in no mood to listen and Snape was showing no sign of stopping. He calmly raised his wand again and said, "Stupify!"

The red stunner hit Snape squarely on his chest and sent him flying backwards onto the stone steps. He fell awkwardly, his arm bent unnaturally.

It was a moment before Harry's anger subsided.

"Carmen, are you alright?" asked Dumbledore gently.

She looked tearful but nodded, rubbing her wrists and flexing her fingers.

"Harry, please take Carmen back to Gryffindor Tower at once," requested Dumbledore. "Then meet me back in my office."

Harry nodded and put his wand away.

*

"Are you sure you're okay?" asked Harry again as they approached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Yes, thanks," she said, sounding stronger but tired.

"Why on earth did he try to grab hold of you like that?"

"He was scared, that's all."

"What was he scared of?"

"I expect the Headmaster will tell you," said Carmen smiling weakly. "Tell him the truth about anything he asks, Harry?"

"But you've done nothing wrong," replied Harry.

He watched Carmen disappear up into the girl's dormitories before he turned to go to the Headmaster's office, determined to find out why Snape had acted the way he did.

*

Harry knocked on the door to Dumbledore's office, having just guessed the password downstairs.

The door opened after a short delay. Dumbledore, who gave him a small smile, beckoned him into the room.

Harry was shocked to see Snape slumped miserably in a chair in front of the great desk. He resisted the temptation to stun him again, helped by the apparent fact that Dumbledore hadn't allowed Snape's injuries to be healed.

"Please have a seat, Harry," said the Headmaster, indicating the empty chair next to Snape.

They sat down and Harry became aware of Dumbledore's penetrating gaze that always made him feel completely transparent.

"Professor Snape very much regrets his actions this evening," said Dumbledore gently. "He is, in retrospect, glad that you were there to remind him that no matter what the provocation, we all have a responsibility to show restraint, particularly regarding our younger charges. Isn't that right, Severus?" he asked pointedly.

Snape shifted uncomfortably and eventually muttered, "Yes."

"Good," continued Dumbledore. "There will of course be no punishment for you Harry, although I trust we may rely on your discretion?"

Snape gave a derisory snort.

Dumbledore gave Snape a deeply disappointed look.

"Why did you try to grab her like that? I thought you were going to really hurt her," said Harry angrily to Snape. "I asked Carmen and she just said you were probably scared. Why?"

"The snake," said Snape wearily.

"You mean Hydrus? What about him?" asked Harry.

"I saw it go into the forest."

"So what?" asked Harry, looking back at Dumbledore.

Harry was surprised to see Dumbledore looking back at him deep in thought.

"Where did the snake come from, Harry?" asked Dumbledore.

"Carmen conjured it. She did the golden snake after I conjured the black one," Harry answered. "I chatted to the snakes and translated for Carmen. Hydrus told me its name and that will become Carmen's familiar just before she gets her Hogwarts letter. The black snake agreed to look after Hydrus."

"I told you it was a mistake to give her a wand," said Snape.

"What is the problem?" asked Harry.

Dumbledore paused, gathering he thoughts and undoubtedly deciding what he should tell Harry.

"He doesn't need to know," said Snape. "It was his fault and he'll only make it worse."

Anger surged through Harry again but Dumbledore held up his hands.

"That is most unfair," said Dumbledore. "Harry is in no way to blame."

Snape snarled and swore under his breath.

"Harry, Carmen is remarkable in a number of ways. Not only is she a genuine witch prodigy, she is also the subject of a number of prophecies. She is also very likely an orphan, although she does not know this yet."

"She told me she didn't like talking about her family," said Harry.

"Her only surviving family is her parents. Unfortunately they recently went missing and we have reason to believe they were taken by Death Eaters. They were very talented people and they encouraged Carmen from a very early age. Every effort if being made to find her parents but it has been almost two months now. The Ministry has all but given up."

"Were they members of the Order?" asked Harry.

"No, we have no idea why they were taken."

"Did they mean to take Carmen as well?" asked Harry.

"We believe she may have been their original target," said Snape. "That is why she was brought here."

"What were the prophecies made about her?" asked Harry.

"We only know details about the first, but there are at least four others that deal with her later life. The first predicts that a golden snake will seek her out and that will signify that her powers are complete. Together they learn how to harness and use those powers."

Dumbledore paused and after a moment of silence Harry asked, "What's so bad about the snake escaping tonight then?"

"The snake will ask her to decide something upon its return. That decision will bear upon her life to come in as much that she may either be a force for good or for evil."

"Will the snake try and trick her?"

"We believe not."

"So the snake really has nothing to do with it," reasoned Harry. "She has the same choices any of us have. Mind you, her parents being murdered might affect things."

"I agree," said Dumbledore. "That is why I wanted her to spend more time with you, Harry. Even if she wasn't as talented as she is, Carmen would be sharing your classes."

Harry sighed. "I do wish I'd known this before. I probably wasn't much comfort to her."

"She knows you care, even without knowing any of the details."

*

Harry climbed through the portrait hole into the darkened common room. It was now very late and the fire had died down to its final embers.

"Harry?"

He walked over to the fireplace where Hermione was sitting. Next to her, curled up, was Carmen, fast asleep.

"Hi," he whispered, sitting down on the hearthrug in front of Hermione.

"She wanted to come down and wait for you," whispered Hermione. "She was very upset but wouldn't tell me anything apart from the beautiful snakes you released."

Harry smiled and nodded as Hermione gently stroked the small girl's back until she stirred. Carmen opened her eyes and smiled at Harry. She drew herself up slowly and Hermione put an arm around her.

"You know, don't you?" she asked.

Harry nodded sadly as Hermione frowned slightly but said nothing.

"Was I wrong to let Hydrus go?"

"No," Harry said at once. "Hydrus will return to you and remind you of the kindness you showed him tonight. Maybe he'll remind you of the time you spent here, how much you've come to mean to everyone here. Even Malfoy likes you."

"I'm scared how people will react when they find out."

"You've a while before they find out everything, I'm sure. Some will act weird. Some will be hurtful and some will be supportive. From my experience, I would say concentrate on those that mean the most to you. Oh, and try to ignore anything the press might make up."

"Why aren't you angry and bitter?"

"I've had my moments," admitted Harry with a glance to Hermione.

Carmen yawned widely and Harry said, "I think you should go to bed now. We can talk all you want when you are rested."

She nodded and got up. She leaned down quickly and gave Harry a peck on his cheek. He felt his stomach clench when he saw the cuts and bruises on her knees.

"It's alright, Hermione. I'll tuck my self in. Thanks for waiting up with me," she said putting her arms around Hermione's neck and kissing her on the cheek.

"Goodnight," said Hermione hugging the small girl.

As soon as the dormitory door closed, Harry got up and sat next to Hermione. He told her everything that had happened that evening.

Much later the two of them sat silently in the darkness. Harry became aware that they were cuddling. He couldn't remember how they'd got like that but he was in no hurry to move. He was very comfortable, sitting there dozing with Hermione holding him close.

Suddenly, Hermione sat up.

"I've had an idea," she said. "Do you think the Death Eaters knew about the prophecy?"

"It seems likely," said Harry, feeling more than a little annoyed.

"Can I borrow Hedwig? And your invisibility cloak?" she asked jumping up. "If I hurry we might just be in time for the first edition of the Daily Prophet!"

"You're not going out alone," said Harry, rubbing his face and trying to wake himself up.

"Thanks, Harry," said Hermione smiling. "We need to hurry!"

*

GOLDEN SNAKE SIGHTED AT HOGWARTS

Omen of Dark Times?

An extraordinary golden serpent was last night seen in the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, writes Darren M. Yeah-Rhino, Daily Prophet guest reporter.

The snake is long said to be seeking its master. According to legend, when the snake meets its master the child will immediately gain full access to their powers even through they will still not be of age. That child, whoever they are, will then wreak terrible revenge upon those that have wronged them. Guided by the magical snake, no hiding place will be safe from them.

Readers need not worry though, as the snake disappeared shortly after being sighted in the company of a small girl. Of course, if you recently upset a pretty girl with short brown hair at Hogwarts, you might want to make amends pretty quickly.

Harry put the paper down and looked up to see a beaming Hermione.

"Has Carmen seen this yet?" he asked.

"I've not seen her this morning. Dumbledore called her to a meeting first thing," said Hermione. "Harry, I'm too excited to eat. Come for a walk with me?"

Harry smiled and put down his toast before standing up.

Hermione looked like she was about to ask Ron the same thing but he just scowled at her and returned to his breakfast.

*

"Shame it didn't get on the front page," said Harry as they walked around the lake. "We probably needed a photograph."

"I'm hoping that won't matter," said Hermione, in an excited state.

They continued to chat and walk, with Harry listening quietly as Hermione's hand and arm gestures became wilder. Eventually, Harry had to duck from a particularly violent swing.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly.

"Here," he said smiling, "it would be safer if you put your arm in mine."

She grinned and looped an arm around his. She clutched him tightly and they started a much more sedate lap of the lake.

"Hermione, I've been thinking about what I said to Carmen," Harry said gently. "You know how much I appreciate you, don't you?"

"Harry, what's going on over there?" asked Hermione.

Harry, who really could not have cared less at that moment, looked over to where Hermione was pointing. A large crowd of students was gathered in front of the entrance steps and a black carriage drawn by two thestrals was just leaving.

"Want to go and see?" surmised Harry as Hermione dragged him across the grass.

When they got there, most of the students were gone but Ron walked quickly up to them.

"Dumbledore has called everyone into the Great Hall for an announcement," he said sounding grave.

Harry and Hermione followed Ron and found places at the Gryffindor table that had by now been cleared of the breakfast things.

Dumbledore came out of the side door followed by Snape. Dumbledore looked impassive as he took his usual place at the front of the staff table. Snape looked angry and upset but was trying to muster himself. By the time he got to his place his expression was blank as ever.

The Headmaster held up his hands and the hall became silent at once.

"It gives me great pleasure to announce that Mr and Mrs Callidus have been released after a period of captivity. Mr Callidus suffered some minor injuries at the hands of their kidnappers and is at present at St Mungos. I am assured he will be fit enough to leave in a few days. In the meantime, may I introduce you to Mrs Callidus? You know her daughter, Carmen, who of course we have all grown to know and love in the short time she has stayed with us."

From the side door emerged Carmen smiling widely and clutching her mother, who looked tired but very happy and didn't once take her eyes off her daughter.

"Mrs Callidus and Carmen will be leaving us today but have accepted our invitation to join us for a celebration feast as soon as Mr Callidus is back on his feet. Will you all join me wishing Carmen and her family a very warm goodbye."

The hall erupted with the noise of cheering and clapping.

When the din subsided a little, Hermione shouted into Harry's ear, "I had no idea those were her parents. They are both renowned for their work in experimental potions!"

Harry nodded and smiled but didn't attempt to reply. Apart from the effort of shouting above the noise, he was feeling more than a little sad that Carmen was leaving them.

*

Over two hours later, Harry and Hermione found themselves summoned to the Headmaster's office just before Carmen and her mother took a Portkey directly to St Mungos hospital. Carmen had insisted on introducing her mother to each of her new friends and saying goodbye individually, and naturally this had taken rather a long time. Her mother looked very tired but far too happy to complain.

Snape kneeled and allowed Carmen to hug and kiss him. He whispered something to her before she released him.

"Thank you," she said tearfully. He smiled slightly and stood.

Mrs Callidus kissed him on his cheek and said, "Thank you, Severus." Snape nodded and left the room.

Carmen launched herself at Hermione and then at Harry, both of whom found themselves quite tearful. Carmen couldn't say anything for a while, but when she returned to her mother, she managed to say, "It wasn't a very good anagram."

"No," agreed Hermione smiling through her tears. "We didn't have time to think up a better one."

All too soon, Carmen and her mother were gone. Hermione dabbed her eyes and sat down looking quite exhausted through all the emotions of the day.

Almost as soon as she had done so, Harry was surprised to see her leap to her feet again.

"I'm sorry, Sir," she said at once and Harry realised she had sat down without being invited.

Dumbledore smiled at her and said, "Please, Hermione, sit down. You too, Harry."

Looking relieved, Hermione sat down again, as did Harry.

"It's been quite some day," said Dumbledore, opening his Daily Prophet on his desk. "I had thought about getting a false article in the paper even before the snake made an appearance, you know? I didn't think the kidnapers would believe it, though."

"Then why let them go?" asked Harry.

"I'm sure it was the anagram. They knew you two wrote the article, and the only way you could have found out about the golden snake is if you'd actually seen it. It was clever to include the veiled threat as well. They couldn't afford to take the chance. I'm quite convinced you saved both their lives."

"Why did they kidnap Carmen's parents in the first place?" asked Hermione.

"It seems part of it was simply to influence Carmen. If she grew up angry and bitter, she might well go to the dark side. The rest was simply to get information on some of the things her parents have been developing. Her father was actually tortured quite badly, something they will regret. The whole family is very powerful, and Carmen will eclipse both her parents I'm sure."

"Did Voldemort order their kidnapping?" asked Harry.

"Possibly," agreed Dumbledore. "Actually, I'm not sure. However, only his order could have resulted in such a quick release."

"Carmen actually scared him?" asked Hermione.

"Certainly," mused Dumbledore. "Actually, most of the staff are more than a little wary too. She's going to be quite a handful when she comes back as a First Year."

Harry grinned, remembering all the duelling skills he'd taught her.

"She gave the house elves a fine time before term started. She also decided Severus had to join in the fun too. Still, we have a few years before we have to worry how to cope again."

*

They bid goodbye to the Headmaster and left his office, but as soon as the heavy door closed, Hermione froze at the top of the circular stairs that would take them downstairs.

"Are you alright?" asked Harry gently.

Hermione face was red and her eyes were closed.

"I'm going to miss her," she managed to say before bursting into tears and throwing herself upon Harry. "I'm so selfish."

"Of course you're not," said Harry holding her tight. "I'll miss her too. Lots of people will. But she'll be happy now. She's got her parents back. You saved them for her, Hermione."

As they stood hugging each other in the small lobby, Harry suddenly realised something.

"We should go," said Hermione.

"We're not going anywhere until you feel better," said Harry gently. "We can get a bite to eat from the kitchens. Then we can finish our walk. I want to try and tell you something."

"What about lessons?"

"I doubt if any teaching is going on today, Hermione."

*

Harry and Hermione walked outside into the bright sunlight having just enjoyed a rather late lunch in the kitchens, much to the house elves' delight. Dobby told them several stories about the mischief Carmen had got up to during the summer holiday. It seemed the house elves would miss her as much as the students.

"I'll remember that furious look that Snape gave us for keeping him waiting outside the Headmaster's office for a long time," said Harry with satisfaction.

"He did look angry, didn't he? I wonder why he couldn't get in?"

"Obviously, Dumbledore wanted to give us some privacy until you were ready to leave. Serves Snape right. He's kept me waiting for no reason plenty of times."

At that moment, Ron rushed up to them looking concerned and clutching a tattered copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Have you read this about the Golden Snake?" he asked with alarm.

"Yes," said Harry smiling. "I saw it last night with Carmen. It went into the forest with the other one."

"Other one?" asked Ron.

"Yes, it was an enormous black snake. Massive. The golden snake was quite calm but probably had deadly venom. The black snake looked aggressive but promised to look after the other one. Ron?"

Ron had made his way sharply back into the castle, looking all around him.

"That wasn't fair," said Hermione, with a small smile.

"I know," said Harry. "I'll put him right later. I don't want to go back to the common room yet, though."

Hermione looped her arm through his and they continued walking towards the lake. It was busier now, and they walked around to the far side which was still deserted.

When they got there Harry could see that they would soon encounter more students on their circuit. He was about to suggest they stop to enjoy the solitude a little longer when Hermione seemed to anticipate his suggestion.

"Let's sit for a bit," she said, and the walked over to a fallen tree trunk which provided a convenient place to sit and enjoy the view across the lake.

After a long pause, Harry said, "I was just thinking. Carmen has no idea what the other prophecies were made about her."

"That's probably for the best," replied Hermione. "How could anyone function properly knowing that they had a fixed destiny."

"Dumbledore said there were a number of prophecies about Carmen. They were worried that she might turn to the dark side. I wonder if the prophecies describe actions or events that could either be good or bad."

"You mean, if she conjured a monster it might be bad, but if the monster kills something evil it would be a good thing?"

"Exactly. A real prophecy might be open to interpretation. True only as far as it goes. How it's interpreted now may be completely wrong."

Hermione looked at him curiously, and asked, "Do you know what Carmen's prophecies are?"

"No, I told you last night," answered Harry, "Dumbledore said they didn't know what the other prophecies said."

Hermione frowned slightly and Harry sighed deeply.

"It wasn't actually Carmen's prophecy I was thinking of," he admitted.

"The prophecy made about you and V-Voldemort?" she asked.

Harry nodded.

"Well why worry? You can't make any interpretation if the prophecy was lost, can you?" asked Hermione. "Hang on," she continued, "you are worried about something, aren't you?"

"I suppose I am."

Hermione moved closer, looped her arm around his and this time caught his hand in hers.

"You can tell me anything," she said gently, and immediately gave him a shove with her shoulder. "Of course, there'd better be a very good reason why you've kept this to yourself."

He turned his head and looked at her smiling face. He couldn't help but smile back.

He looked out across the lake and felt his smile fade.

"There are reasons," he said quietly, "but I realised this morning that I couldn't keep this from you any longer, what ever the consequences."

"What consequences?" asked Hermione.

At that moment they heard a distant hail. Ron was traipsing towards them.

Harry waved at him, releasing her hand and quickly muttered, "We can't discuss anything in front of Ron or anyone, okay?"

*

"Hi," all three greeted each other when Ron got closer.

"I just wanted to tell you, classes are cancelled for today," said Ron smiling. "Shame I've got a free period this afternoon anyway. Apparently Snape's still giving detentions instead."

"Great," muttered Harry.

"We've got Potions shortly," said Hermione getting up. "We'd better hurry."

"No, Hermione," said Ron. "Snape's not teaching. He won't be there even if you turn up. You still have a detention I expect, though."

"How is that fair?" she asked indignantly. "We get a detention because he missed the lesson!"

*

Ron sat down opposite Harry in the common room having just returned from his Prefect rounds of the evening.

He leaned in and said in an undertone, "Hermione's in a really bad mood. I don't think she approved of the classes being cancelled."

Harry smiled and shook his head as he closed his book.

"No. She's partly upset that Carmen has gone but mostly she's upset with me."

"You?"

"We were talking about Carmen and I mentioned there was something I wanted to tell Hermione. I haven't had the right opportunity yet."

"Well, being as she'll stay mad until you tell her and then she takes it out on me, I'd consider it a personal favour if you'd hurry up and tell her."

Harry snorted and nodded. He looked across the common room and saw Hermione in her favourite chair by the fire, trying to read an enormous book. He wondered, for a moment, how she managed to get it through the portrait hole.

He started to get up when Ron said, "Hang on, what it you are going to tell her?"

"I'd rather not say," replied Harry honestly. "It's nothing important. I'll get her to promise to take it out on me, not you, okay?"

*

"Alright, Harry," said an exasperated sounding Hermione. "I promise to not to take my bad mood out on Ron. Now what is it?"

Harry smiled and closed the door to the empty classroom and sat on a desk while Hermione lit a few lanterns.

"I knew something was on your mind since term started," said Hermione as she sat on the desk adjacent to Harry. "I just assumed it was Sirius, you know?"

"Well, sometimes it is Sirius," admitted Harry, "but most of the time it's something else. I'd like to try and tell you something. Part of it is a secret kept since before I was born. No one can know this, Hermione. Voldemort has been obsessed with finding it out.

"I know I can trust you, Hermione, but you have to stop me telling you if you are in any way uncomfortable with knowing. Only I will know that you know."

Hermione nodded silently.

"Of course, that's not why I haven't told you before now," said Harry. "Lupin said that my Boggart is a Dementor because what I fear most is fear itself. I am afraid, Hermione. I'm afraid of how you will feel and react when you find out."

Hermione frowned slightly and whispered, "The Prophecy." Harry smiled.

"I know what it said," said Harry quietly. "Dumbledore told me the night Sirius was killed. He'd been putting off telling me."

"You think it may be open to interpretation?" asked Hermione.

"Well, to be honest it's pretty specific," said Harry with a small laugh.

"No," Hermione said suddenly, jumping off her desk.

She rounded on Harry.

"This is why you've been uninterested in any discussion about the future, isn't it? Any time someone mentions what they plan to do after school you go all distant or change the subject."

Harry looked down, feeling ashamed.

Hermione put both hands on his shoulders, gripping him tightly. He looked up.

"Listen to me, Harry," she said seriously. "I don't care what any dam prophecy says. I was right all along. Divination is rubbish."

"But, Hermione," Harry began.

"No, Harry. You are going have a plan for life, not a timetable for death. You will finish school, get a job, find happiness, and have a family. There will not be time to consider your death before your two-hundredth birthday."

"I wish that were true, Hermione. Voldemort has other plans."

"So what?! Actually, you just said it. Voldemort has other plans. Plans, Harry. He's got his plans, why can't you have yours? I'm not saying your plan won't be interrupted. Just deal with it and move on."

"Do you actually want to hear what the prophecy says?"

"No. It'll be rubbish. I absolutely refuse to believe that Voldemort will win."

"Actually, the outcome isn't certain. The Prophecy says only one of us will live."

"So killing him and having a life might still be on?"

"Maybe."

"Not the answer I'm looking for," she said dangerously.

"I think you should hear the Prophecy for yourself."

"Don't you dare tell me!" said Hermione loudly. "Harry, just take it as an early warning. It was pretty obvious anyway, but at least it reinforces the need for you to use the time you have to prepare. I wish you didn't have to, but if Voldemort stands in the way of your living, he'll have to go."

"Okay, let's suppose I am the one to survive," said Harry. "How will you feel about my returning a murderer?"

"Honestly, Harry," said Hermione with a sigh. "Is this what's been bothering you?"

"Well, yes," he admitted sheepishly. "More than anything, really."

She hung her head down and he felt her grip relax. Presently she looked up and Harry could see tears in her eyes. She released his shoulders and hugged him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

She said something indistinct, but it sounded something like, "Idiot," to Harry.

Hermione sniffed loudly and the whispered in his ear, "I will forgive you for anything except not coming back."

END

Carmen Callidus continues her adventures in The Pauper's Time set a little later in the same year (Harry's sixth).

She also reappears to cause Harry a few challenges in Journey Home which is set post Hogwarts.