Unofficial Portkey Archive

How Do I Live by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

How Do I Live

H_HrFan

DISCLAIMER: All JKR's but SO MUCH FUN to borrow occasionally!

A/N: My writing partner for Make Like Strangers needed a pick-me-up story…a little H/Hr fluff. I asked her if she wanted me to write something for her…she said, "sure," and this is the result. It took just under an hour to complete. She said it helped her feel better…I take that as a good sign. I hope you enjoy it as well.

This is another story that started out with absolutely no direction…it just kind of wrote itself!

I'd love to hear what you think…good or bad! Thanks.

For all of you out there 17 and older, who enjoy a little playtime between H/Hr, I've written a continuation of where this leaves off. It's called How Do I Live…The Extended Version (creative, eh?)

*********************************************************************************************************

How Do I Live

"Harry, remind me why we're here," Hermione said grumpily.

"Just relax, Hermione," he replied laughing. "What's wrong with being here anyway?"

"Nothing," she whined. "I just thought you'd have someplace better in mind for our first anniversary, that's all."

"And what, pray tell, is better than celebrating our first anniversary at Hogwarts during the summer?" Harry said, trying with much difficulty to refrain from laughing further.

"Oh, nothing, Harry!" she said facetiously. "Except maybe a cruise to the Bahamas…the City of Lights…Rome... Come on, Harry. There are so many places you could've taken me. Why here?"

"This is where we met."

Hermione looked at him with her best can-the-crap-Harry look. "Harry, you know perfectly well this isn't where we met. We met on the train."

"Well, it's where we got to know each other, then," he said offhandedly. "Whatever, Hermione. What difference does it make so long as we're together?"

Hermione looked at him and gave her trademark half-smile and he could see the acquiescence in her eyes. "All right. You're right," she sighed. "The important thing is that we're together."

Harry beamed. "Come on," he said excitedly. "Let's go for a walk around the lake."

Hermione, still feeling less than pleased about being there, decided to try and make the best of it. "All right," she said, trying hard to sound excited. "Let's take a walk around the lake."

Harry practically skipped in his haste to get to the lake and before they found their way to the well-worn path around it she was caught up in his excitement. When they reached the path Harry ran ahead of her and turned around, his arms spread open as he waited. "Come on, Hermione, hurry up."

Hermione couldn't resist the smile and the way she knew those outstretched arms would feel around her. She dropped her head toward the ground and took a couple more steps before she looked up at him and grinned. She ran into his arms and he spun her around quickly. When he stopped spinning her he grabbed her behind the knees and lifted her up to be carried. She wrapped her arms around him and placed a sweet, soft kiss on his neck before she dropped her head to his shoulder.

Harry walked a ways down the path, and then stopped abruptly. "Close your eyes, Hermione," he said softly.

She raised her head to look at him. "What? Why do I need to close my eyes?"

Harry looked at her pleadingly. "Please, just trust me. Close your eyes."

Hermione laid her head back against his shoulder and closed her eyes. "I always trust you," she whispered next to his ear.

The feel of her hot breath on his ear sent shivers down his spine and his head jerked a little as he felt them course through his body. "Tickles," he said softly by way of explanation.

Hermione kept her eyes closed then kissed his neck again. "I love you," she said softly. "Are we almost there?"

"I love you, too," he replied, "and yes, we're almost there."

"Where're you taking me?"

"Do you really think I'd tell you?" he asked with a chuckle. "Your eyes are closed for a reason, sweetheart. Just hang on a sec."

"Okay," she said with a hint of warning. "But, since I have to hang out here with my eyes closed, that means I get to do this," she kissed his neck, "…and this," she nipped his earlobe, "…and this," she suckled his neck.

"Baby, if you don't stop, I'm going to drop you," he said breathily. "You're sending chills down my arms and just the feel of your breath is making my knees weak. Will you please just lay your head down and keep your eyes closed. I promise you, we're almost there."

"Yes, dear," she whispered as she pulled his earlobe into her mouth once more.

Harry stopped walking and turned his head to look at her. "Lift up your head, but keep your eyes closed," he demanded weakly. Hermione lifted her head, her face towards him, and he quickly captured her lips with his own. Hermione gasped at the sudden contact.

Harry gently released her legs and slowly she slid to the ground, their lips never parting. Her eyes still closed, she released him from the kiss. "Can I open my eyes now?" she asked heavily.

"Hang on," he said softly, taking her by the hand and leading her carefully to his surprise. "Stay right there for a minute," he said as he slowly released her hand. He made sure she was steady before he walked away. Hermione's arms fell to her sides and she stood, quietly, waiting for him to return.

In a matter of seconds the sound of music began to fill the air and Hermione jumped slightly when she felt Harry's hands touch her hips.

How do I, get through one night without you,
If I had to live without you,
What kind of life would that be,
Oh, I, I need you in my arms, need you to hold,
You're my world, my heart, my soul,
If you ever leave,
Baby you would take away everything good in my life,

Hermione's arms wrapped around Harry's neck and his arms tightened around her waist as together they began to sway to the rhythm of the music.

Without you, there'd be no sun in my sky,
There would be no love in my life,
There'd be no world left for me,
And I, baby, I don't know what I would do,
I'd be lost if I lost you,
If you ever leave,
Baby, you would take away everything real in my life.
And tell me now,

Hermione sighed and leaned heavily against him as she listened intently to the words of the song. "I love you, Hermione," Harry whispered gently against her ear.

How do I live without you,
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you,
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive,
How do I, how do I, oh, how do I live.

Hermione pulled herself in tighter and kissed his neck. "I love you, too, Harry," she whispered. "This is beautiful."

If you ever leave, baby you would take away everything,
Need you with me,
Baby 'coz you know that you're everything good in my life,
And tell me now,

"You haven't seen anything yet," Harry replied. "Just a couple more minutes. We're almost there."

How do I live without you,
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you,
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive,
How do I, how do I, oh, how do I live.

"Can I open my eyes now?"

Harry loosened his hold on her and stepped back.

How do I live without you, baby,
How do I live.....

"Open them, love," he said softly.

Hermione slowly opened her eyes and took in the sight before her. "Oh my…" she placed her hands to her mouth and looked at her husband of one year. Tears were shining in her eyes as she looked from him to his surprise and back again.

"Am I forgiven?" he asked softly, as tears formed in his own eyes at the sight of her.

Hermione's hands never left her mouth as she nodded at him vigorously. "Yes," she exclaimed when she finally found her voice, "yes…yes…." She launched herself at him, laughing. "How did you…when did you…"

"Shh," he whispered softly. He pushed her back gently and looked into her tear-streaked eyes. "I had a little help," he admitted. "I wanted to surprise you. You like it?"

Hermione looked back at the sight before her. Harry had taken her to the tree where they used to sit and talk about everything and nothing during their days at Hogwarts. Beside the tree was a plaque which read,

"To my Hermione,

(my always and forever, my greatest love),

This is the place where true love grew,

Higher than the tallest tree,

Deeper than any lake or ocean,

Is my love for you.

Yours forever,

Harry

"Harry, it's…" Hermione stopped. Unable to speak, she turned to him and smiled tenderly. She drew herself into his arms and hugged him tightly. "It's beautiful," she whispered against his chest.

"You're beautiful," Harry whispered. "Thank you."

Hermione pulled back and studied him for a moment. "For what?" she asked him finally.

Harry kissed her. "For being you," he kissed her again, "for loving me," again, "for saying yes," another kiss, "for everything."

"You're welcome," she said smiling. "You make being me so easy. You make loving you so simple. There was never any doubt in my mind about saying yes. Everything…is what you are to me."

Tears sliding down both their faces, Harry kissed her, the salt from their tears mingling with the familiar taste of each other as the kiss deepened.

To the front of the tree was a blanket. On the blanket was a picnic basket, a vase with 10 roses in it; one for every year they'd known each other, and a bottle of the finest champagne.

Harry led her to the blanket and together they sat, breaking their kiss for only a moment. Hermione laid down on her back with Harry stretched out beside her, his body partially covering hers. His hand gently caressed her cheek as through his eyes he conveyed the depth of his love.

She reached her hand up and placed it against his cheek. He turned his face into her palm and kissed it gently as she watched. The love in her eyes shone more brightly than he had ever remembered. "I love you," he whispered softly.

"And I love you," she whispered in return as she pulled him down into another passionate kiss. After a moment she released him and he looked at her questioningly. "So," she said with a cheeky grin, "Hogwarts again next year?"

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment. "Well," he said as though weighing that idea against another, "I had planned to take you on a cruise around the Caribbean, but…" he looked at her and raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"…what's better than celebrating our anniversary at Hogwarts during the summer?" she finished for him.

They both began to laugh until Harry captured her lips once again…and all conscious thought dissipated the moment his lips touched hers.


-->