Unofficial Portkey Archive

Seven Days by HavaBisqitPotter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Seven Days

HavaBisqitPotter

All right... Well, this should probably be considered a prologue since it's so short... This is a challenge that Julietta posted in the Kindred Spirits forum and I thought it'd be great fun to write. I don't think I'll put the requirements on here because I want you all to be surprised. Anyway...

DISCLAIMER: This work of fanfiction has been rated PG just to be on the safe side. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of Warner Bros. © 2000. In other words, it all belongs to the genius that is J.K. Rowling. Parts of this plot belong to Meg. Harry and Hermione belong to each other. This fic will be completely fluff-tastic! You have been duly warned.

Seven Days

A Challenge by Julietta

HavaBisqitPotter

Ron was bored. Sitting in the library listening to Hermione go on and on about potion ingredients or some other nonsense that she insisted would be on the N.E.W.T.'s wasn't exactly at the top of his 'favourite things to do on a Saturday afternoon' list. He attempted to balance his quill on his nose, but it fell to the floor silently.

Hermione stopped mid-sentence and gave Ron a dirty look. She watched as he bent to the floor to retrieve the quill and then turned her head back towards the volume splayed on the table.

Ron sighed. Well, wasn't this exciting. His eyes began to roam. They landed on Harry's face and it was then that Ron noticed... Something seemed different...

"Ron!"

"Moonstones!" he automatically replied. Wasn't that what she was talking about? "Are used in potions... And they're green... Sometimes..." He faltered.

Hermione let out a deep sigh. "Ronald... You haven't heard a word I've said, have you?"

"Erm... I meant purple," Ron covered quickly.

"We haven't been doing potions for an hour, mate," Harry said, turning to Ron.

"Oh... So, what are we talking about?" Ron saw Hermione roll her eyes.

"Care of Magical Creatures-"

"We were all the way to pogrebins, too!" Hermione slammed the book shut. "This will set us back at least a day!" She shoved quills, inkwells, and scraps of parchment into her bag. "I just don't see how you two aren't concerned about N.E.W.T.'s... Don't see how they're so daft..." She threw her bag over her shoulder and stormed out of the library in a huff, still muttering to herself.

"She's snapped, she has," Ron said to Harry. "Come on, let's play some Quidditch before dinner."

Harry looked from the door to Ron. "Nah, mate. Not me."

"Why not?" Ron quizzed Harry as they headed out the door.

Harry quickened his pace. "Hermione! Wait up!"

"Harry!" Ron ran behind him. "Why not?"

Harry shrugged and plowed up the stairs. "Thought I'd turn in early. I'm still a bit exhausted, you know?"

"But..." Ron doubled over, panting.

Harry waved absentmindedly. "See you at dinner. Hermione!" And was gone.

Ron stood on the stairs struggling to regain his normal heart rate. He replayed the evening's events in his head and realised something.

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

"So, Harry," Ron said nonchalantly as Harry pulled on his pajamas. "When did you realise you loved her?"

"Who?"

"Hermione."

"Granger?"

"How many Hermione's do we know?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't... love Hermione."

Ron stared at Harry. "Really?"

Harry shook his head.

"Harry... I find that hard to believe. I've seen you two together. I've seen the way you look at her. Just admit it."

"Ron..." Harry stared right at him. "Hermione and I are best mates, alright? I copy her History of Magic notes... That's all there is to our relationship. You of all people should know that."

"Did she tell you that she just wanted to be your friend?" Ron pressed as Harry sat on the edge of his bed.

"Who said that I didn't just want to be her friend?"

Ron raised his eyebrows.

"All right..." Harry sighed. "It was over the summer. Suddenly, it just felt right. She just felt right..." He shook his head and started to draw his tapestries. "It doesn't matter anyhow."

Ron stuck a foot through the heavy drapes. He leaped over and sat next to Harry. "What do you mean 'it doesn't matter anyhow'? Tell her."

Harry shrugged. "Tell her what? 'Hermione, I've loved you forever. Please marry me.'"

"Why not?"

"Oh, please, Ron, she'd laugh. And then whose notes would we copy?"

"Wait, so what are you saying? You're afraid of rejection?"

"No, I just-"

"You mean to tell me that Harry-Bloody-Potter, The-Boy-Who-Sodding-Lived, Vanquisher-of-the-Bloody-Sodding-Dark-Lord is afraid of rejection?" Ron snorted. "Will you please tell me how you can defeat the most powerful and feared Dark wizard in a century, but you can't admit to a simple girl that you fancy her?"

Harry sighed. "But this is not simple girl, Ron... This is Hermione."

"Which is exactly why you should tell her, mate... It's not doing either one of you any good..."

"I can't, Ron!" Harry sighed. "I'll fire curses at anyone for hours... But I can't walk up to Hermione and tell her that I love her..."

Ron shook his head. "All right... So, a little incentive is necessary."

"You're going to pay me?"

Ron scoffed. "Of course not. You should be paying me... Let's make a bet. I'll give you seven days to admit to Hermione that you love her. If, at the end of seven days, she remains oblivious, I'll tell her-"

"You would? Really?"

"-in front of the whole school at dinner in the Great Hall and if you think that I won't, you obviously don't know me as well as I thought you did."

Harry stared open mouthed at Ron. "Have you gone mad? I'm too embarrassed to tell her privately, what makes you think that I'd approve?"

"Harry," Ron stated calmly. "I've been watching the two of you fall in love for seven years. I gave up on Hermione when I realised that she could only ever love you."

Harry studied Ron's face. "You said it yourself... What if she just wants to be friends?"

Ron shrugged. "Well, you could do one of two things; You could go on copying her History of Magic notes and just pretend like it never happened..."

"What's the second option?" Harry asked.

Ron laughed. "Throwing yourself from the Astronomy Tower."

"I'll opt for the first one, thanks..." He sighed. "I just don't know about this... I mean, it's Hermione."

"Exactly. You two are made for one another. You'd be completely daft to not ask her if she realises it yet."

"Wouldn't it be awkward if she said no though?" Harry bit his thumbnail.

"Possibly. Never know unless you try, though."

"You think she does?" Harry replied. "Realise it yet, I mean..."

Ron smiled. "She will."