Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Trials of a Hero by Garet Jax
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Trials of a Hero

Garet Jax

"For one human being to love another:
that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks;
the ultimate, the last test and proof,
the work for which all other work is but preparation."

-Rainer Maria Rilke

0x01 graphic

Chapter Two: Changes

August 3rd, 7:15 P.M.

Hermione Anne Granger was bored, wait - no bored was an understatement. She had gone beyond the realm of boredom an hour ago, and no matter what Ron went on about, be it Quidditch, or de-Gnoming the garden at The Burrow, or at how he could barely hold back his laughter when talking about the style of clothing that Muggles wore. No - she had indeed passed the realm of boredom and had now slipped into a coma. A strange sort of coma in which her eyes were open and staring fixedly at Ron's freckled face.

One hundred and seventy-two freckles, she mused to herself.

Ron must have noticed her amused expression because he started nodding his head.

"I knew it!" He exclaimed. "I knew that you were only doing that SPEW stuff for extra credit - I mean, honestly Hermione. How can you sit there night after night getting any enjoyment out of knitting hats and socks for a bunch of house elves who'll never wear them?"

What?! Ron, you are an insensitive git!

Ron's face paled and his jaw dropped and for a reason that Hermione couldn't quite put her finger on - the entire restaurant had gone deathly quiet.

Risking a quick glance around the romantically lit establishment, Hermione noticed that several patrons had halted in the middle of their meals and were now looking at the two young people with shocked interest.

Oh bloody hell, figures I would say that out loud.

Ron leaned across the table and whispered harshly, "Hermione! What the bloody hell was that about?"

Hermione lowered her head trying to hide the embarrassing flush that had settled in her cheeks.

"I guess I said that out loud?" she said quietly.

Ron pulled back and grabbed another breadstick from the basket and stuffed it into his mouth and nodded, "Yeah, I guess you did."

Hermione made a face as Ron chewed indignantly on his food, "Ron, can you at least chew with your mouth closed please?"

The young wizard rolled his eyes and began to chew properly.

Hermione flashed him a warm smile, "Thank you."

Ron nodded absently, and Hermione noticed that the humiliated look in his eyes was still present.

She took a drink to clear her throat then smiled warmly at him again, "Ron, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just that that project is important to me, and has nothing to do with extra credit - and by the way, it's S.P.E.W. - I care about the welfare of the house elves. I truly do and to be honest with you, I am getting a bit tired of how you are always laughing at me and making fun of my interests - Harry never does that..."

She trailed off, knowing very well that Harry was not a subject they were supposed to discuss tonight, and if the crimson shade of Ron's face was any indication he noticed her slip-up and was none to happy about it. She had known for awhile now that Ron Weasley was silently, very jealous of Harry Potter; The-Boy-Who-Lived. Also, he just happened to be their best friend, a best friend who Ron adored and looked up to, but also felt was treated differently than others. A treatment that offered the dark-haired wizard opportunities and chances that Ron felt he would never have, no matter how many lifetimes he lived.

"Y-you just had to do it didn't you?" Ron sputtered.

Hermione was surprised that the crumbs from the breadstick that he was still chewing hadn't gone flying across the dinning room.

This is so childish!

"Ron…" Hermione needed to calm him down quickly, "I was just stating a fact. Harry has never to made fun of me or held any of my interests against me."

Ron smiled somewhat sardonically, "Yeah, but it always seems to come back to Harry though doesn't it? I mean don't get me wrong, I love Harry, he's like a brother to me - but honestly Hermione, the way you always go on about him. I am seriously beginning to wonder if you have feelings for him. More than friendly feelings…you know?"

Uh-oh. Ok, look natural - but surprised. Don't make him think he struck gold.

Hermione tried to laugh, "Ron! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I don't have feelings for Harry, not in that way at least."

I am going to hell. I wonder if they have a pit set aside for blatant liars, or if they just stick all the liars together in one big hole and pee on us?

Ron tilted his head, a look of suspicion on his face, "What kind of feelings do you have for him then?

Hermione cringed, she didn't really want to get into this conversation with Ron; because if she did she knew that she would eventually slip up again, and let Ron in on her deepest secret, a secret that she had been harboring since just before 5th year began.

No, I need to end this right now - casually of course and without raising suspicion.

Hermione flashed her perfect smile at Ron, "Let's not talk about that Ron. Maybe we should just pay our bill and go? I told you I wanted to see that exhibit they were having tonight at the museum."

Ron narrowed his eyes and after a tense, silent moment he said, "Sure, I guess. If that's what you want to do."

0x01 graphic

Ok, this is so much worse. If he doesn't stop fidgeting, I am going to slap him, Hermione growled to herself.

The young witch watched her red-haired friend through narrowed eyes, as said friend stood a good ten feet away from her, nearly in the darkened corner, shuffling his feet and stifling a yawn.

Why can't he just pretend to be interested in these things? At least Harry would - No! I need to stop this! Harry doesn't need me pining after him, he has too much on his shoulders already. I should write him though...he never did write back. I hope he's alright.

The young woman ran her hand through her how shoulder-length curly brown hair and quietly thanked Merlin that her new hair style hadn't gone wildly out of control after the sneak-attack rain storm that appeared as the two friends made their way to the museum.

Hermione looked again over to Ron, who was now staring intently at a picture of a nude woman holding a man to her breast. She sighed, of course that would interest him. She walked slowly towards him and stopped as she noticed that his mouth was open slightly and his eyes were now wide as a galleon.

Oh bloody hell. Does he have to be that obvious about it?

Ron turned suddenly and saw Hermione looking at him intently. His ears turned a bright pink and he coughed, "Umm...I was just...umm...you know - this is a rather interesting piece, don't you think?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and made a disapproving clucking noise with her tongue, "Come on Ron, we're going back to the mansion."

I need to get the hell out of here, and I need some time away from Ron - silly git is going to drive me insane.

Without waiting to see if he was following her, Hermione turned and walked quickly out of the museum and into the dark and humid night.

0x01 graphic

With a loud sigh, Hermione threw her pocketbook on her nightstand and began taking the clips out of her hair.

Obnoxious, insensitive, insufferable wanker!

Hermione growled and tossed the hair clips savagely onto her dresser. Ignoring them when they bounced once and ricochet back at her and whizzing past her head.

What was I thinking saying yes to that date? He is so immature, doesn't give a squat for anything that truly interests me.

She had hoped that the evening with Ron would have helped take her mind off of Harry, but of course that plan didn't work.

Not in the least, thank you very much.

She sighed again, then slowly slipped out of her dress, letting it fall silently to the floor - pooling at her feet. She watched her reflection in the mirror over the dresser, a smile tugging at the corner of her lips as she -as any maturing female does- the not so subtle changes that she had gone through since leaving Hogwarts.

"Dear child. You seem to be troubled, and the bags under your just scream eyeliner."

Hermione jumped and grabbed at her chest. Nearly tripping over her fallen dress, having caught herself by the edge of the dresser, Hermione turned to the large mirror which hung snugly on the wall over the dresser.

Hermione huffed, "Thank you ever so much for the compliment. Now if you don't mind, I would like to change in peace."

The enchanted mirror chuckled, "Now child...I am here merely for your benefit. I have noticed that you haven't been sleeping well these past few days. Anything you wish to talk about?"

Hermione chewed quietly on her bottom lip and stared at the mirror. It was right, there bags under her eyes, though with the light touch of make-up that she had applied earlier in the night you had to look very carefully if you wanted to see them. She knew that she had grown at least an inch or two over the last two months and was glad that she was no longer shorter than Ginny; Ron's younger sister.

"Ahem. You alright dear?" the enchanted mirror whispered.

Hermione shook her head and whispered, "I think I'm in love."

"And that's such a bad thing?" it asked plainly, though Hermione thought she detected a hint of amusement in its voice.

Hermione nodded vigorously, "Yes it's a bad thing! Not that idea that I might be in love, but the fact that the one I am in love with doesn't feel the same way, and not to mention that he already has too much to concern himself with, he doesn't need his best friend following him around like a love-sick puppy."

Hermione paled lightly, and noticed that her breathing had become labored and she was almost positive that she had heard a vein burst in her head.

I cannot believe I just said all that out loud.

The mirror whistled, "Best friend you say? Well, obviously it isn't the red-haired young man whom you just had a date with...leaving only - oh my, the master of the house, Mr. Potter?!"

Hermione made a hushing gesture with her hand and quickly turned to see if her bedroom door was closed which thankfully it was. She turned back to the mirror and tried to regain control of her emotions.

"You won't say anything, will you?" she asked shyly, her face flushing red.

The mirror made an unintelligible noise, "Of course not! But isn't that his choice to make dear? What if he does feel the same way? You'll never know if you hide yourself away from him. Oh, and that lavender brazier just isn't your color, clashes with your lovely brown eyes."

The corner of Hermione's lips twitched slightly before she shook her head, "No, I won't put myself and especially him through that."

The young witch slowly ran a brush through her brown locks, grateful that she had gotten the haircut and style which got rid of her bushiness, instead leaving her curls no longer tight and scraggly, but long and loose, framing her face instead of covering it - hiding it. She was also quite pleased that she allowed her mother to talk her into getting the light blonde highlights that now streaked throughout her hair.

"Well, it is your life dear. I just hope you know what you are doing." The mirror said quietly.

Of course I don't, but that's beside the point.

0x01 graphic

August 5th, 3:30 P.M.

Hermione jumped back in surprise as Ginny ran past her in the hallway, the young girl's giggling echoing off the dark walls. She was quickly followed by her older brother Ron, who Hermione noticed as he darted past her, had large, green ears and bright yellow hair, which oddly enough, reminded Hermione of a Muggle troll doll. Try as she might Hermione could not hold back the loud, boisterous laughter that came from her at the sight.

Ron stepped dead in his tracks and spun around.

"Think this is funny do you? You know why she did this?" He asked breathlessly.

Holding her hand over her mouth, Hermione shook her head silently.

Ron raised an eyebrow, his expression changing from anger to doubt, "You don't? Funny - she said that you would know."

Hermione made a face, "I swear I don't know Ron."

The now yellow-haired wizard narrowed his eyes at her, "Sure, right"

Before Hermione could argue with him Ron took off again after Ginny, who had now made her way to the second landing and was making snorting sounds and stomping stupidly around like a mountain troll.

"You're dead, Ginny. Mark my words!" Ron shouted as he stomped down the stairs after her, his large ears flopping around wildly.

Hermione rolled her eyes and continued on her way to the large Black Family library at the end of the hall.

She came upon the large double-doors and had begun to turn the handle when she heard the distinct voice of Albus Dumbledore coming from inside the library.

When did Professor Dumbledore arrive? She asked herself.

Putting her ear to the door she listened quietly.

"Albus - I know that you have your reasons for keeping Potter where he is; Merlin knows that he and I do not get along in the least but, he needs to be in a controlled environment. These displays of wild magic are getting out of control."

That's Professor Snape! Why are they talking about Harry? And what is wild magic? I know I've read that somewhere before…

Dumbledore cleared his throat loudly, "Severus, I am aware of Harry's increasing power and whether he is here or there it matters not. He has already unintentionally torn down the extra wards I had placed around the Dursely's home just before summer began."

Whoa! Increasing power? Incredible! Why didn't Harry tell me about this in his letters - all two of them. Why isn't he writing to me?

"That is exactly why he should be here Albus; at least here he can be in a more secure place, where he can be watched over more closely." Hermione could just imagine the sneer on the potions master face.

"Besides, all of this is moot." The aged Headmaster stated. "Two weeks ago, I offered Harry to come early to visit his Godfathers home and his friends, but he declined, said he had things to deal with before he was ready to come back into this world."

Hermione swore that the Headmaster's voice was filled with disappointment and something else she couldn't quite place.

She could hear Professor Snape gasp in shock, "He rejected an early invitation? I would expect him to enjoy spending more time with Ms. Granger - and Mr. Weasley, before the new school year started."

Like you care if Harry ever gets any enjoyment in life you greasy slime ball.

Hermione nearly said this thought aloud and had to stuff her fist into her mouth before it busted out.

"As did I Severus, but when I saw him last week before his birthday, I did notice a few changes in our young Harry - changes that I dare say are long overdue."

What changes? Hermione asked herself.

"What changes Albus?" Professor Snape asked, and Hermione did indeed notice that his voice seemed to tremble ever so slightly.

The Headmaster chuckled briefly, "Well, I dare say that our young Mr. Potter, is finally growing up. He is becoming a fine young man, Severus. As for the exact changes, I say you will have to wait until he arrives on the 7th to see for yourself."

The 7th! Oh my God! He'll be here in two days! I'll - I can finally see him!

Snape growled, "But you said he rejected the invitation!"

"Indeed he did, but that was for arriving on the 1st. He informed me just yesterday that he would be ready to arrive on the 7th. Besides that is the evening of the reading of the will. Sirius Black's will, and I gather that Harry will be heavily involved in whatever Sirius had planned for after his death, he loved the boy like he was his own."

Hermione felt a twang of remorse at the mention of Harry's godfather, Sirius Black, who had died the earlier in the year at the Department of Mysteries.

A will? No one has mentioned anything about a will - accept - the mirror! It had said that Harry was now the master of the house!

The conversation seemed to trail off so Hermione gathered her courage and pushed open the large double doors and confidently walked into the library pretending not to notice the two professors who were off to her left in the corner. Seeing as how she had her nose buried in Defenders against the Dark Arts: Heroes for the Century, she highly doubted that her rouse would be noticed.

She quietly walked to the nearest table and set her bag down and if there was an award that she could have won for acting startled, she would have blown away the competition when Dumbledore cleared his throat.

Startled, she turned to face the two adults, "Oh! I'm sorry!"

Despite knowing that they were there, Hermione couldn't help the flush of embarrassment that crept into her cheeks.

Dumbledore smiled warmly at her, his blue eyes twinkling over the crescent moon glasses that he wore, "It's quite alright Ms. Granger. Professor Snape and I were just discussing Harry, whom I am happy to inform you will be arriving here on Friday morning."

Hermione couldn't stop the grin that took shape, "Great! How is he? He hasn't nearly written as much as I hoped he would, and I have been worried that he would be - well…"

Hermione trailed off as her eyes traveled to Professor Snape who was staring at her with his ever-present sneer.

Thankfully Dumbledore seemed to sense the cause of her hesitation, "He's had a rather unusual summer, Mr. Granger." Off her worried expression he continued, "Nothing horrible has happened, I don't think that would have happened and you not know about it."

Hermione sighed in relief, "Good. So he'll be arriving in two days then?"

Dumbledore nodded, "There is something that I would like to discuss with you in private Ms. Granger, if you have a moment."

Slightly taken aback, Hermione hesitated hoping that he hadn't known that she was listening in on their conversation earlier.

Oh crap! It was an accident I swear - I tripped and my ear got stuck to the door…no - that won't work!

She looked back at the aging Headmaster and her eyebrows rose in confusion. Why is he smiling at me like that?

Hermione nodded quickly, "Of course professor, I have some time now."

Dumbledore grinned at her, "Excellent. Severus, I will see you tomorrow evening at the meeting."

With a crisp nod, Severus Snape strolled out of the library and down the hall, leaving Hermione alone with the ancient wizard before her.

Dumbledore pulled a seat out for her at the table and she sat down, her hands clung to the book she was still holding to her chest.

The headmaster quietly paced back in forth in front of her for a few moments before stopping to gaze at her.

He took a breath, "First let me say, that I am so very proud of the accomplishments you have achieved, Hermione."

Hermione blushed and lowered her head. He's never called me by my first name before…he only does that for Harry.

"Thank you, sir." She muttered, not at all used to such a heartwarming compliment from the most powerful wizard of the age.

The kindly old wizard smiled at her, "You are most welcome. Now, I wish to know if you have done any research on Occulmency this summer."

Hermione's head snapped up, not bothering to hide the shocked expression on her face.

"H-How did you know?" she whispered.

The smile never left Dumbledore's kind face, "I have my ways, Hermione. The reason I ask is because I wish for you to begin studying it with Harry when he and I begin his lessons again next Monday."

Hermione fought back the surge of excitement that shot through her, instead focusing on the bigger question.

"Why?"

Dumbledore raised a white brow, "The reasons are many Hermione - which if I am not mistaken will become apparent to you in the coming weeks."

Hermione gripped her book even tighter, her knuckles turning white with exertion, "Then I would love to do it."

The headmaster nodded knowingly, "I expected as much. Also, I would like to know if you have had any more nightmares lately."

Hermione paled and dropped her book to the table, "How did you know that? I haven't told anyone about them!"

Dumbledore placed a comforting hand on her arm, "Relax my child. I am only concerned for your well-being. After what you had gone through this past term, I expected there to be some side effects, and it appears I was correct to assume so."

How does he - No! I don't want to see it! Please! I can't watch him die again! Not Harry!

For a few minutes all Hermione could do was open and close her mouth, with no sound coming out. Finally after the images of that awful night had flashed through her mind she regained some control, but her voice was soft and trembling.

"It's awful Professor - what I see. I know it isn't what happened, I know it was Sirius who fell through the veil, and I - but I keep seeing Harry fall into it, reaching out for me…and I couldn't get to him…"

Her voice broke, and silent tears ran unchecked down her cheeks.

"Hush child. It's alright now." Dumbledore was now squatting in front of her, both of his hands on her shoulders in a comforting manner. "What you experienced was a side effect of the Slashing Curse that was cast on you. It brings your most horrific fears to life inside your mind, replacing reality with a terrible nightmare. You know this already Hermione…let it go."

Hermione nodded mutely, "I know that, it's just - I've run out of the Dreamless Drought potion you know?"

Dumbledore nodded in understanding, "Then I will have some sent over to you later today. There is one more matter I wish to discuss with you."

Hermione wiped her tears away and nodded, "Yes sir?"

The Headmaster moved to sit down across the table from her, "Harry has something inside him, Hermione. Something that is pulling him under…something that may very well drown him. I had hoped that he would already have confided in you, but it is obvious that he has not."

A bitter cold chill shot through her body and she trembled.

Hermione sat up a little straighter, "What is it professor?"

The headmaster shook his head, "I wish it were that easy, but I cannot be the one to tell you this. It must come from Harry; you must find a way to help him with this burden Hermione, both yourself and Mr. Weasley. For it is a heavy burden and I fear that it will not be the last."

The tone of his voice struck Hermione to her core, the ancient wizard; the only being in all the world, besides maybe Harry Potter, that the Dark Lord feared - sounded to her astonishment…afraid. The thought of Harry carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders alone always seemed to terrify her, how one so young and frail had been chosen to literally save the world.

It's so unfair. Why can't they just leave him alone?

Despite the feeling of dread that crept through her, Hermione smiled bravely at the headmaster, "I will do anything for Harry, sir."

Dumbledore smiled at her as if he knew a deep hidden secret and his blue eyes twinkled, "Of that I have no doubt Hermione - no doubt at all."

0x01 graphic

August 6th, 9:30 P.M.

The shrill of the cellular phone ringing on her nightstand caused Hermione to nearly jump out of bed, luckily for her it only resulted in her tossing her 1,200-page copy of Nefarious Creatures and where to find them: Volume One, into the air and landing somewhere near her school trunk with a resounding thud.

Hermione looked excitedly at her cell-phone, only three people had the number, her parents and one Harry James Potter. With trembling hands, she reached for the phone and looked at the display, noting that it flashed HARRY; she could no longer contain the grin that broke out on her face. She quickly pressed the Talk button and answered.

"Hello?" she said, not bothering to hide the excitement in her voice.

"Er…Hermione?" Harry mumbled quietly.

Her grin quickly faded at the tone of his voice, as a worried expression clouded her face.

"Harry, are you alright?"

The young wizard cleared his throat, "Yeah. It's just I'm in the basement, and the Dursely's are wide awake and I don't think I have ever used one of these before. Well, except just before I called you - I'm pretty sure I dialed some old woman in Kentucky, she wasn't too happy about that."

Hermione allowed the grin to reappear and barely held back a snort of laughter.

"Well, I'm glad to see that you got the hang of it." She said, almost breaking out into giggles.

I'm talking to Harry! On the phone! And I sound like a love sick teeny-bopper! How girlish is that?

He cleared his throat again, "It's good to hear your voice again, Hermione. I've missed you - and Ron."

She wanted to melt at the tenderness in his voice, but quickly realized that Harry would get no enjoyment out of talking to a puddle of Hermione.

"I've missed you so much Harry. I - I mean Ron and I have missed you too."

Yes, good cover it up - he probably didn't notice that at all.

Harry mumbled something quietly then spoke again, "Yes…Ron how is he?"

Hermione immediately noticed the tone in which he spoke his best friend's name - and it was not at all friendly. Not quite sure why he was speaking Ron's name with such disdain, she chose to speak of him in a neutral tone.

"Ron's fine. He is excited to see you again."

And that was all she said on the matter. She did not want to antagonize Harry with questions about why he was upset with Ron, she had waited nearly two months to hear his voice, and nothing was going to ruin this moment - nothing.

"Good, that's good." He said quietly, "More importantly though - how are you? I've been worried about - well you, ever since that night at the Department of Mysteries and all."

She nearly cried at the obvious emotion that Harry was trying so hard to conceal, but his voice still wavered and nearly cracked.

"Oh Harry." She replied softly, "I'm better. I still have my moments - but that's to be expected."

Harry choked back a sob, "I'm so sorry - I should have listened to you Hermione. You were right, you nearly died, if you had I don't think I -"

She didn't stop the tears that now leaked from the corners of her eyes and traced a line down her cheeks, "Harry, don't - please. It's not your fault. I followed you willingly, and I would do it again."

This time he didn't hold back the sob, and it broke her heart.

"Don't say that! Please!" He whispered harshly. "I can't lose you too Hermione - I just can't and I will never allow you to follow me again if that is even a remote possibility."

She wanted to scream at him, to shout and curse, but she knew that he was not in any shape to handle her sudden burst of anger and she also knew that he didn't deserve it. He was just trying to protect her and she loved him even more for it.

"I'm sorry." He began, sounding much more composed. "I didn't mean to sound so harsh, or get mad at you. I just - I just care about you Hermione, and Ron. I don't want anything happening to you - I couldn't handle it."

Hermione wanted to hold him, to take her dearest friend and her secret love in her arms and fight off all his nightmares - everything that had ever brought this amazing young man pain. She wanted to fill his world with all the love in her heart, if only for a moment, so he would know what it means to be truly loved.

"It's alright Harry." She whispered. "I understand more than you know."

Her nightshirt was soaked with tears but she didn't care. She could tell he was crying, and it hurt so much to know she was in grief over her, feeling guilt because of her.

Harry cleared his throat once more, "Well - I guess I should let you go. I think I've depressed us enough for one night."

She chuckled softly, "Yes, I think I need some sleep, although I'm not sure if I will get any knowing that you are going to be here tomorrow. Gods Harry, I can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see you either Hermione - but please try to get some sleep."

She could hear the smile in his voice, telling her that he was truly excited to see her again.

She laughed while twirling a strand of her hair around her finger, "I'll try, but no promises."

His voice had dropped to a tender whisper, "Deal, I'll see you in the morning Hermione…sweet dreams."

Her voice followed after his, "Goodnight Harry."

I love you.

If she ever had any doubt about her true feelings for Harry Potter, that conversation erased them completely, which left her with particular feelings of anticipation, anxiousness and dread.

How was she going to handle being in the same with room with him and not have her heart explode with all the love she was feeling and attempt to not hurt Ron in the process?

I really hate being a teenager in love.

0x01 graphic

August 7th, 8:59 A.M.

What surprised Hermione the most was that she had indeed gotten a good night sleep - without the Dreamless Drought - which she had forgotten to take before falling asleep.

She awoken from bed shortly after 8 and was primped and ready to await Harry's return by 8:30. Of course, all the current residents of the Black Mansion were also awake and dashing excitedly around the large industrial kitchen waiting for Harry to arrive.

She noticed that absence of Remus Lupin, and wondered if he had gone ahead to pick-up Harry. Off to her left she noticed Ginny Weasley, the youngest child of Arthur and Molly Weasley, who was sitting quietly at the table eating a strand of her flaming red hair nervously.

Oh Gods, please don't tell me that she is still crushing on him! Please no.

Ron stepped into the kitchen with a quaffle in his hands, "Anything yet?"

Hermione shook her head but Ginny was the one who answered, "No Ron! Not since you walked in here a minute ago and asked the exact same question!"

Ron raised an eyebrow at his sister, "Ginny - are you nervous about seeing Harry?"

Hermione tried to ignore the wink that Ron sent her way.

Yep, he thinks the same thing. This is not going to be good at all, of all the bloody damn luck.

Ginny's mouth dropped open and her cheeks flushed to a bright red, nearly matching her hair.

"Ronald Weasley, leave your sister alone!" Molly shouted from the other side of the kitchen as she placed the plates and silverware on the table for breakfast.

Ron smirked, "Sorry, mum."

Hermione turned her head away to face the fireplace again and nearly fell off her chair in shock as Remus Lupin head was floating amongst the flames- a large grin plastered on his handsome face.

"All ready now?" Remus asked.

Everyone nodded and shouted that they were indeed ready to receive him and Harry.

"All right then, I'll be coming out first." Remus turned his head and laughed at something on the other side. "No, I don't think Ron wants that Harry - wait is she naked? Incredible, they sell those? It's really too bad that Muggle pictures don't move around. Now that would be much more interesting."

Hermione could hear a deep laugh coming from beside Remus and she knew at that moment that it belonged to Harry. Anticipation began to take hold of her body and she couldn't hold back the silly grin that spread across her face.

Remus turned back to them, "Here we come - no Harry, I don't care if you are bigger than me now, I said -"

It appeared as if Remus Lupin was pushed through the fireplace, because he shot through head first into the kitchen, covered in soot. He laid there a moment muttering under his breath. Fred and George, the two Weasley twins immediately helped him up as Remus swiped at the soot that covered his cloak.

"Rotten little scoundrel." Remus grumbled.

The laughter that had started at Remus' comical entrance suddenly died away as Harry Potter stepped through the flames and into the kitchen of Number 12 Grimmuald Place.

Hermione thought she literally felt her jaw hit the floor, and she knew that if it wasn't for the law of physics her eyes would have popped out of her head. All around her no one made a sound, not even a gasp of surprise at the utterly obvious changes that Harry Potter had gone through over the summer.

Oh please have mercy!

He stood there in front of the fireplace, which was a good fifteen feet from where Hermione was sitting, wearing black jeans, a tight fitting red sleeveless t-shirt and black trainers.

Hermione immediately noticed that he had grown at least a good three inches because from where she was standing he was nearly as tall as Ron. His hair, still black and still looking to her as if it was the softest thing in the world, was now longer in the back, nearly touching his shoulders, although it still had the eternally messy look on the top, it hung over his forehead, completely covering his scar.

Then her eyes were drawn to his chest which she thought just might bust out of the shirt he was wearing, Pectorals, oh Gods …, she thought dreamily.

He was not bulging with muscles, and Hermione was quite happy that he remained a bit lanky, although she thought she might faint if he flexed those biceps in her general direction. He looked perfect to her, not that she needed all this to love him any more than she already did, but the package that now stood before her sent a warm burst of something entirely womanly straight through her causing her to shiver momentarily.

What was that?

Ginny was the first to recover, she threw her arms around his waist and hugged him. Harry laughed and squeezed her back. Soon everyone else had gotten over the momentary shock and greeted Harry with hugs, and pats on the back, only Ron and Hermione were left who had not greeted him.

Harry took a step closer to them, a worried expression on his face.

Hermione shook herself out of her stupor and jumped into his arms, hugging him so tightly she thought that she might have cut off his air supply, and to her pleasant surprise, Harry was squeezing her just as hard. Her face rested in the crook of his neck as she only came up to his chin now, and she could smell him - a manly smell she determined silently, a mixture of grass, soap and something uniquely Harry.

"I missed you so much." She whispered fiercely into his ear, followed soon after with a gentle, yet lingering kiss on his cheek.

She felt him tremble slightly and hugged her tighter, "Gods…I missed you too, Hermione."

He pulled back a little and looked at her, his eyes roaming from her face, studying it intently then down the rest of her body, his eyes widening momentarily, My God, he just checked me out! - Then he raised a trembling hand and ran it through her hair as a warm smile that melted her heart quickly formed on his face.

Hermione immediately found herself lost in his shining green eyes.

Oh no! Not now!

"I love your hair, it looks amazing." His expression was one of awe, causing her cheeks to immediately flame up.

She lowered her head to hide the now obvious blush, "Thank you."

A throat clearing behind them broke the two apart.

"Don't hog him Hermione; he's my best friend too." Ron said with a hint of amusement in his voice.

Ron stepped forward as Hermione reluctantly stepped away from Harry.

The two best friends stared at each for a few silent moments, and Hermione secretly noted that she was right, Harry was now just as tall as Ron, and his shoulders were wider as well.

Ron grinned suddenly, "Git!"

Harry grinned as well, "Wanker!"

The two friends laughed and hugged briefly - a nice hug between two male best friends.

Hermione studied their interaction carefully, the hug seemed almost fake - their grins too wide and their eyes showed her something else, something she couldn't quite explain, but it scared her and she didn't know why. She also didn't know how she was going to hide her feelings for Harry if he kept giving off the vibes that he was sending her when he held her in his arms. If this wasn't settled quickly it could tear apart the trio, and that is something that would likely scar her for the rest of her life.

What am I going to do?


-->