Unofficial Portkey Archive

Whiskey Lullaby by Gaya Hriive
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Whiskey Lullaby

Gaya Hriive

A/N: HeHeā€¦in my haste I forgot to add in my last note that I changed the character from Ron to Vincent Mershaw because it was brought to my attention that there is NO R/Hr allowed here, and I simply forgot so I had to change it. Hope that clears things up a bit. Also, yes, this story is based on the song "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley. It's one of my favorite songs and I was inspired to write this one day while I was listening to it. Anyways, thanks to those who have read and reviewed: Le-Ann, Ryusuken, JazzyGeorgie, Marina, Panther, Crewbabe89, LivingArtemis, down2earthangl85, and Allyeinstein23. I appreciate the reads and the reviews. Thanks guys! And now, part deuce!

~*~

I almost fainted when I turned to see why Vincent had cried out. Harry stood before us, bags in hand, staring bewildered and wide eyed. Vincent scrambled to get up, throwing me to the ground in the process. I lay there, naked, stunned, tears streaming down my face. Vincent gathered all his clothes quickly and fled in a blur of flesh muttering something about me being insane. He was right, of course, but I had bigger things to worry about. There before me stood the love of my life, the man I believed to be dead for a year.

Harry sat his bags on the floor and offered me his hands. He helped me to my shaky feet and wrapped me in a blanket that had been hanging on the back of the sofa. He guided me gently to the chintz armchair in the corner and I sat down, still shaking form shock. He took a seat opposite me and we sat there staring at one another.

He didn't seem real to me, I was sure he was just some figment of my alcohol induced, clouded mind. The man I loved had died a year ago. I had entered into a sick relationship, if you could call it that, out of grief. I had pined for him while making love to another man for more months than I care to recall. Then, as if my emotional distress had summoned him, there he was, back from the dead.

I broke down, crying shamelessly as the realization of what my life had become hit me. In an instant Harry was by my side, then embracing me in a way no one had since the last time he had touched me. I sobbed mercilessly into his shoulder and he stroked my hair, trying to placate me. When it became quite obvious that I would not be soothed, he scooped me up into his arms and carried me to my room. We lay on the bed together and soon he was sobbing with me.

I believe to this day that Harry expected to see what I had promised him would be waiting upon his return; me waiting for him, alone, uncomforted. I wish that had been the case. As I sobbed for myself and the horrible position I had put myself in, he cried because he believed that he had lost me forever. I know that he was also angry. I swore I would never share my body with another man, even if he did not return. If he had known the truth then, that I had become a raging alcoholic and a whore, then he would have cried harder still. But those revelations came later. At that moment it was only us, two broken, weary souls who were desperate for the familiar comfort of the love we both thought was lost.

I fell asleep in the arms of the man that I believed I would never see again, the man who had a hold so tight on my heart that I had become one of the worst kinds of people: a desperate slave, bound in the chains of true, immortal love. I slept peacefully that night. More peacefully than I had since the day he left me, but especially since the first night that I decided to put that bottle to my head and pull the trigger.*

A/N: Hi it's me again. Im sorry that this is so short, but working as a third shift waitress, this is the best I can do at the moment. There will be more, soon, I promise.

*Lyrics from "Whiskey Lullaby"

"She put that bottle to her head and pulled the trigger

And finally drank away his memory

Life is short but this time it was bigger

Than the strength she had to get up off her knees

We found her with her face down in the pillow

Clinging to his picture for dear life

We laid her next to him beneath the willow

While the angels sang a whiskey lullaby"


-->