Unofficial Portkey Archive

The way it should be by heaven85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The way it should be

heaven85

A/N: Hey guys after reading the book 6, I was disappointed in a way with the way it turned out. So I decided just to write my version of what would happen afterwards. I hope that you guys enjoy it.

The way it should be.

Book 6 spoilers

By: Heaven85

Harry Potter had spent the last four months searching for the horcruxes that remained. They had come close to finding a couple of them but the magics protecting them were too strong. That was when Hermione suggested that they return to Hogwarts once she had found out that it had re-opened. She thought that it was best that they got their training from members of the Order or at the very least continue their studies and learn more complicated and powerful magic from the professors at Hogwarts. She had also reminded him that Professor Dumbledore also had some trouble with the last horcrux so he shouldn't be surprised that he would be having problems as well. That somehow convinced him and now he has been back at Hogwarts taking advanced classes and having some private training for the last few months.

Things have been getting back to normal. The trio was back together again and it just felt great. It gave him a sense of happiness to know that they would always be there for him no matter what happens. It also gave him a sense of sadness knowing that Ron and Hermione would be in danger because of him. Just then he heard some footsteps behind him and smiled as he saw Hermione.

"Hey, how are you?" Hermione asked softly.

"As good as things can be," Harry answered with a slight smile.

"What are you thinking about?" Hermione asked.

"About the last year and the last few months," He replied.

She moved closer towards him and asked, "Ginny?"

"I actually haven't thought about her that much really. Quite surprising actually," Harry replied.

"And what's going on between the two of you?" Hermione prompted him.

"Not much. I mean I like her and I really do care about her but I don't think that it will work out between us," he explained.

"Why not?" she asked.

"The time that Ginny and I spent together was great. It was normal and I loved it but it wasn't real. The feelings were there but what we had in a way wasn't real. I was trying so hard to be normal and have a normal life and when I was with her I could pretend to be someone else. And after everything that happened I know that I can't do that anymore and I don't want to do that anymore," Harry explained.

Hermione sighed and moved closer to him and asked, "Are you really okay with this?"

"What about you and Ron?" he asked quietly.

"Ron and I? There isn't much to tell. I know that from the way I acted last year that it would seem like whether or not Ron and I got together meant everything to me but now I don't think that we would work out either," she replied.

Harry looked up and asked, "Why?"

"I mean you know that I care about Ron a lot and I really do like him. He's a great person but we're just too different. And I don't really feel that way about him. I don't really know why I acted the way I did. No, actually I do," Hermione answered.

"Go on," he encouraged her.

Hermione tucked her knees under and chin and continued, " I've known for quite a while that Ron had feelings for me and I always felt comfort in that. I mean it felt great to have someone waiting for me in case I don't ever find that special someone. And when I found out about Lavender, I just flipped because I realized that he might not always be waiting for me and you had Ginny and everything. I wanted somebody too."

"I know the feeling," he added.

"And, now it doesn't really matter anymore, it's the last thing on my mind right now," she replied.

"That part of my life seemed to have happened a really long time ago and right now and your friendship means the world to me," Harry answered.

"Your friendship means a lot to me too Harry. You mean a lot to me," Hermione said softly.

"I just want you to know that I am so very happy to both you and Ron are here with me right now. I mean I didn't want you to but I'm glad now that you are because I don't know how I could have gotten through everything without you guys," Harry answered.

"You're never gonna have to find out. There's no other place I'd rather be," she answered sincerely.

"Really? I mean this is really dangerous and you could get killed," he answered.

Hermione moved and sat right in front of Harry and said, "Of course I mean it Harry, if I wasn't here with you I would be worried sick about you and I wouldn't be able to get any work done."

"You would always get your work done," Harry replied.

"Maybe but I still wouldn't be able to do a good job on it," she answered grudgingly.

"Would you have listened to me if I didn't let you come?" he asked.

"First of all, Harry, you don't make your decisions for me and no I wouldn't have listened because I choose to be here Harry just like you do," Hermione answered.

"Why?" Harry inquired.

"Because I know you Harry. I know that what you want more than anything in this world is to be normal but aren't and you have accepted that. Because I know that you need me Harry. You need us to be there for you and I want to be able to lift some of the burden off your shoulders because I know that you put some much of the blame on yourself. After all that we have been through together, I know that we are stronger together than we are apart. And just like you Harry, after everything I have witnessed I can't turn my back on it and pretend that it never happened. I made a decision a long ago that I would always be there by your side no matter what and I haven't changed my mind," she explained.

"You know that I really do appreciate this Hermione and that I know that you mean well no matter what I say or even if I act like I don't," he told her.

"I know Harry," Hermione said quietly.

"I know that there are a lot of people who think that I'm not up to this. And I sometimes wonder if I'm cut out for this myself. Can I really do this? Am I ready? Can I really face him and win?" Harry asked with a sigh.

"I'm only going to say this to you once so you better listen," Hermione piped up.

"I'm listening," He answered looking up.

Hermione looked at Harry and said in a very serious tone and said, "You are ready for this Harry. Everything you have accomplished up to now proves that you are. You're amazing at Defense against the Dark Arts and you were chosen for a reason Harry. There are also a lot of people out there who believe in you Harry. I've always believed that you're a great wizard Harry and that you can do this. That has never and will never change."

"Thanks Hermione. Thank you for having faith in me. The fact that you have faith in me means so much to me. It also gives me hope that maybe I can do this because you are never wrong," Harry stated.

Hermione just smiled in response and gave him a hug and whispered, "Then you know that you can do this don't you?"

"That means that we're going to have to find those horcruxes won't we?" He answered.

"We will Harry. I always believed that Dumbledore told you about them because he knew that you would be able to find them so I know that we will," she assured him.

Harry merely nodded and looked off into the sky and said, "It's a beautiful night isn't it?"

"It is," she answered simply and they sat next to each other in compatible silence.


-->