Unofficial Portkey Archive

The way it should be by heaven85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The way it should be

heaven85

A/N: So here you guys go. Here is the second chapter. Thanks so much for your reviews!! Please let me know if you think I should continue.

Chapter 2:

Harry woke up early the next day in order to prepare for his classes. His attitude towards his lessons had changed drastically. Harry knew how important it was for him to concentrate on his studies in order for him to penetrate the magic protecting the horcruxes. He also knew that his life depended on him learning and mastering these spells, potions and knowledge. At the thought of potions he begin to feel his anger towards Snape creeping back into his mind. How could have Snape killed Dumbledore the way he did? He had made a silent promise to himself that if he ever met up with him again that he would pay dearly for it.

"Harry?" a soft familiar voice asked.

Harry looked up and smiled as he saw Hermione standing right in front of him.

*~*~*~*~*

Ron woke up the next morning to find Harry gone once again. Ron had noticed such a major change in his best friend's study habits as well as his attitude toward his everyday life. Harry always had a lot on his shoulders but he always had a carefree attitude towards school. He also noticed that he didn't really laugh anymore. Even at his jokes he only heard weak laughter. Now he was more serious and studious. He was up very early each morning in the library with Hermione. He was becoming more and more Hermione with every passing day. He could never be as much a book worm as Hermione but he was slowly becoming more like her. He always had been jealous of Harry and Hermione's closeness. They had always been close and could read each other's minds. He always wished that he had that connection with her. Every once in a while he would quietly watch them when they think that nobody was watching and he would see him look at her with such adoration or maybe it was love. He had also noticed the way that Hermione looked at Harry and the way she smiled at him that gave him feelings of jealousy. He didn't want to feel this way but he couldn't help himself.

Sure, Hermione had shown to him that she did care about him and somehow went crazy when he was with Lavender. He had been pretty happy that Hermione did return his romantic notions but when he thought about the whole situation truthfully whatever happened seemed almost dream like to him. To him it was like all of a sudden Hermione realized that she didn't want anybody to have him except herself.

And then when something was about to happen, nothing did. Things had basically returned to the way things were before the whole `Lavender' situation ever happened. He had tried to talk to her about it but she never seemed to want to.

*~*~*~*~

Harry and Hermione had been studying for quite a while in the library until his stomach started to growl.

Hermione giggled and suggested, "Maybe it's time we ate some breakfast?"

"I just need to read one more chapter," Harry answered.

"At the rate you're going, you won't be done until classes begin," she teased him.

"It's only going to take 10 more minutes," He explained.

"Your stomach apparently can't wait," Hermione replied as she heard another growl.

"Just a little while longer?" Harry asked.

"I never thought that I would have to drag you out of the library," she replied while dragging him out of there.

"Well that proves that you can never say never," he added as they headed off to breakfast.

They saw Ron at the table and said, "Hey Ron."

Ron smiled and asked, "Finished studying?"

"As much as we could until Harry's stomach began calling him," Hermione replied.

"Was it really loud?" Ron asked amused.

"No it wasn't," Harry answered quickly shooting a warning glance at Hermione.

"He's gonna hear it anyways," she replied gesturing to his stomach and as if just on cue they heard a sound coming from his stomach.

Ron laughed and handed Harry a plate.

"Very funny," Harry grunted as he grabbed the plate and began piling food on it.

"It happens to the best of us," Ron replied.

"You shouldn't talk Ron, we've heard your stomach growl at least a dozen times," Hermione added with a small grin.

As if on cue Ron's stomach let out a small sound and Ron just shrugged and said, "I'm a growing boy and I need the nourishment."

"You've said that so many times Ron. I've always wondered where all that food goes," She teased him.

"I was thinking maybe here," Harry replied poking Ron's stomach.

"What about you?" Ron as he tried to poke Harry.

"Enough boys, the food's getting cold," Hermione said shaking her head.

Then the boys went to eat quickly without saying a word. Hermione watched in amusement as the food on their plates disappeared really quickly and then they grabbed even more food.

"Guys you really need to chew," Hermione told them.

"Sorry," Ron and Harry mumbled.

Hermione just laughed and grabbed some toast.

"So Harry, how are your lessons going?" Ron inquired.

"Pretty good. I'm getting a lot better at some of the protection spells," Harry answered in between gulps.

Just then they heard some familiar laughter and Harry and Ron turned their heads to see Ginny talking to Lavender. Ron then turned and cleared his throat and asked, "Harry can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure, what do you want to ask me?" Harry asked cheerfully.

"I wanted to ask you about Ginny," Ron replied.

Harry looked at Hermione shared a knowing look before she said, "Why don't you guys talk outside?"

Harry and Ron walked outside while Hermione headed back to her room.

"What did you want to know?" Harry asked nervously.

"What's going on between the two of you?" Ron asked.

"Nothing," Harry answered truthfully.

"What happened?" Ron asked again.

"It's just not going to work out so I thought that it would be best for both of us to end it now instead of later," Harry explained.

"You know that at first I didn't really want you to go out with Ginny because she's my sister and all and you're my best friend. But then I thought that I would at least know that you would never hurt her and I liked you better than any of her other boyfriends so I was pretty happy," Ron replied.

"Thanks but you're not mad at me about not dating Ginny anymore are you? " Harry asked.

"No, Ginny may be my sister but you'll always be my best mate," Ron said shoving him lightly in the shoulder.

"So, what about you and Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I really don't know," Ron said with a slight smile.

"How can you not know?" Harry asked.

"Well, I don't because Hermione won't talk to me," Ron explained.

"What do you think about it?" Harry asked.

"I'm pretty happy about it. I mean after all this time, Hermione finally revealed that she had feelings for me. After a couple years of not knowing and then all of a sudden I have two girls that like me. It felt really great. I really do want this to work between us," Ron replied.

"Have you tried asking her?" Harry suggested.

"I have but she has been avoiding me. Will you help me?" Ron asked.

"How can I help?" Harry asked nervously.

"I know that she will talk to you. Do you think that you could ask for me?" Ron inquired.

"I don't think that this is something that I could ask for you," Harry answered.

"Well then will you just talk to her for me and see what she is thinking?" Ron pleaded.

"I could definitely try," Harry said with a shrug.

"You're the best," Ron said with a huge smile.


-->