Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sorting Hat by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sorting Hat

lillyfan16

Title: The Sorting Hat

Summary: Basically what went on inside the Sorting Hat Ceremony when Lily and James were being sorted… One-shot

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter series, sadly, but anything you do not recognize as being Ms. J.K. Rowling's, is mine.

Dedication: Thank you to Kirstie the best beta in the world and Brooke for just being cool.

*-*-*

Bold is who ever is the main character at the time

Italics are the main character's thoughts

Bold and Italics are the Sorting Hat's thoughts

CAPS, BOLD, AND ITALICS are when the sorting hat speaks out loud!

*-*-*

Sirius Black

I stared at the Sorting Hat sitting in front of me. This is what would decide the rest of my future? Slytherin or Gryffindor? Gryffindor or Slytherin? I know my future lay in one of those two houses. My other future may just indeed lay in that cute curly blonde standing next to me. And here is my Black smile coming on; prepare to fall in love, poor girl!

*-*-*

Alyssa Anderson

Of course I had known I would be trying on a hat, my mom had told me that last week. Look at that silly boy standing next to me with dark hair, he looks scared. Oh he just smiled, my-my, he is handsome. But there is Theodore over there, he is handsome too. And look at that silly red head clutching that pretty brunette's hand. That red head looks scared; she's probably going to be a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor so it doesn't matter to me. I know I am going to be a Ravenclaw, we're all Ravenclaws, my dad said not one Anderson had ever been in anything but Ravenclaw!

*-*-*

Remus Lupin

It is only a hat, then why am I so nervous? The hat won't know that I am… well… different… it won't ever judge that against me… It will see that I am smart, and it will see the real me. Something my parents will never be able to do…

*-*-*

Rebekka Rashaw

Look at me standing here next to this handsome boy. His hair is rather messy. I saw him on the train earlier playing with some other handsome boy; Black, that was his name. Oh look he is standing next to Ms. Alyssa Anderson. She is going to be a beauty with that curly blonde hair. I can already see she is making eyes over at Theodore. Course those two are probably dating, their parents are best friends. Some of the most noble Ravenclaws…

*-*-*

Katie Sampson

I can do this, nice and easy. Breathe slowly. Yes, that's the way. I can do this. Even if I am muggleborn, I can put a hat on. Smile and hold hands with Lily, she looks nervous. No magic needed to try on a hat… Well you needed magic in your blood. Will the hat tell me I am not good enough to be here? Will it know about…

*-*-*

James Potter

A hat? A HAT! I stare open mouthed at the old blue hat sitting on top of the four-legged stool. And my dad had been going on about tricking a Dragon while in reality it had just been a hat he had tried on. Oh I am going to get my dad back for that one…

*-*-*

Peter Pettigrew

Well, this is going to be easy. All I would have to do would be try on the hat and I would be on my way to Slytherin. My friends would be happy, my parents would be happy, for once in their life.

*-*-*

Lily Evans

A hat, a hat. All I had to do was try it on. I would probably be Gryffindor, I mean, I am brave. Or Ravenclaw I know I could be, I am smart. But I am loyal, didn't that hat say Hufflepuff's were loyal? But I couldn't be in Hufflepuff! No one famous came out of Hufflepuff! Oh, Professor McGonagall is calling out the names…

*-*-*

Alyssa Anderson

Ok, my turn. That professor just called my name. She probably knows I am an Anderson. I wonder how long I'll have to wear that hideous hat for.

So you think I am hideous?

Don't you think you are hideous looking?

Not really.

That's too bad.

Now where to put you?

Ravenclaw.

Ravenclaw you say? But I don't think that would work.

Not work!?

Yes, you're much too special to put in Ravenclaw.

But I am an Anderson.

Yes, I know I put the rest of you in Ravenclaw; there really wasn't any where else they could go to.

What?

Well, you're not exactly brave or sly or loyal, just pure brains, Ravenclaw was all that fit… But not for you Missy! I know where I'll put you.

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

Sirius Black

Oh, that girl looks very surprised to be in Gryffindor. Why, she's crying! I wouldn't cry if I was out in Gryffindor! Oh; McGonagall called out my name… I really hope I am not in…

Slytherin you say?

No, not Slytherin!

But why not Slytherin, You're a Black!

And that's not my fault.

Not your fault you say… Well you could do well in Slytherin… It's all in your head…

*SIGH*

You don't seem that happy about my decision… Neither did that Anderson girl, but she is going to do fine with you in

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

Lily Evans

So five people had been sorted already, two in Gryffindor. One of each in the rest… If I think about the odds now it looks like I will not be going into Gryffindor… Because then Gryffindor would have three… and that wouldn't be right… Oh she called out my name… it's my turn!

Ahh… Someone new.

Yes, I'm new.

But no stupid family backgrounds, no blood I have to consider.

My family is all muggles.

But you are tricky to figure out.

Sorry.

Not your fault m'dear, let's see… Heaps of brains, very good… Loyal… also good… Brave… a little… Sly? Cunning? Not as much as others… Hufflepuff would suit you, if it wasn't for the brains…

No it wouldn't.

You think you wouldn't fit in Hufflepuff?

I could never be a Hufflepuff! Don't you dare put me in there!

A temper, a temper, your future is bright and I know where I must put you… Dumbledore would never forgive me if I didn't put you here, it would ruin the whole wizarding future… He's been talking about you for ages, young lady.

What?

But I'm not sure if it's right… That house would not suit you! And I know a young Gryffindor that's coming up that would love for you to be in his house…And your son will be here… so you better go to…

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

Remus Lupin

The red-headed girl named Lily looks quite relieved to be put in Gryffindor. She sat there for a while! I wonder if the hat had trouble sorting her! Hmm… I hope I'm quick! I hope I am in the same house as James, he's rather funny. I also would like to be in Gryffindor with Black. He seems like he would be a riot. Lupin, Remus… that's me!

Hello!

Hi.

You are one of the ones that Dumbledore was talking about… you will have an interesting class here, lots of difficult placements… But you're not…

I'm not?

Well for you it would be either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor… but one just seems to trump over the other! And remember you'll need to trust your friends and then you will finally be accepted as who and what you are… I think you'll have fun in…

GRYFFINDOR

*-*-*

Peter Pettigrew

I smiled as Malfoy was placed in Slytherin… My parents told me he would be a good role model to follow. A strong Slytherin… Ahh my turn…

Oh my…

???

You are going to be difficult… No brains… No loyalty… No bravery… Not sly, not cunning… You obviously only want what's best for you… You don't care about others… You care more about your own skin… That makes you a Slytherin probably… But I've been going with my gut a little bit today…

Slytherin would suit me…

Yes, I suppose it would suit you… make your parents proud… But I think you could do better… You have courage… You could be something good out in the world… Slytherin may suit you… But this house will make you.

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

James Potter

Three Gryffindor boys already… Two girls… Slytherin already has four boys and Ravenclaw three… Hufflepuff has only two… But I'm not going to Hufflepuff… No worries there…Potter, James…That would be me… Remember that name, Hogwarts!

Ahh… James Potter.

That would be moi!

Yes, yes I know… I've been waiting for you since Dumbledore read me the list of names a few years ago… He's been waiting for you… And so has the rest of Hogwarts…

Shouldn't you be sorting me?

We both know where you'll be going… you are a Potter boy… I mean to spend this time to warn you… Your future is important to many wizards and witches… Don't screw it up…

I don't plan on screwing it up…

I know you don't… But be careful with the pranks and don't go overboard… we know what could happen if you did… Expulsion… and then you won't marry the girl I've picked out for you… And then your son will never be born…

You've picked out who I will marry?

It's all in your head boy… If you don't screw it up… I'm worried you'll screw it up with her and she's perfect… Good looking, smart, loyal… and she'd keep you in tack…

I can keep myself in tack, thank you very much!

I'm not saying you can't… But be good to her… Dumbledore didn't want me to put you two together in

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

Rebekka Rashaw

Alyssa is in Gryffindor… I'm still catching my breath… I feel so sorry for her… Poor girl! I was looking forward to be with her so much in Ravenclaw… But I guess not everyone gets what they want… And I am wanting some of those Gryffindor boys… My-my-my-my… Alyssa is lucky at least in one way… Two with black hair… One with brown… And one that's rather pudgy… But still decent looking even though he has a pinched face… Rashaw, Rebekka… remember that name darlings… It shall be famous some day!

So you think you'll be famous some day?

I don't think I will be… I know I will be!

And how are you going to be famous, may I ask?

If my good looks don't make me famous then my charm and personality will…

I see… You have ambition… That's something to be proud of… And you're vain…

Vain only in my own beauty…

And you're not very smart… But you seem to have courage… I'd like to put you in Slytherin… But I think it would kill you… Better be

GRYFFINDOR!

*-*-*

Katie Sampson

I can't go under that hat… It might read my mind! No-no… It'll know about Kaci and the fact that she doesn't go to Hogwarts… No one can know about my past… My parents told me to act muggleborn… No one can know… Sampson, Katie… It's my turn… oh no…

You seem upset.

I am.

Well, no worries… I shan't tell anyone any of your secrets…

That's good… I have enough of them…

So your parents were murdered… What a pity… I liked those two… Excellent Ravenclaws! Brilliant minds… But I see your twin sister is not here…

No… she went to a school in the states for magic… She didn't want to go here where people might know our past…

Nothing to fear… No one here will judge you because of your past… Or the fact you aren't like other witches…

So you know then…

Yes, I know you can do magic, with or with out a wand… And I know Old Mrs. P.J. is training you to be a healer…

I'm sorry…

It's not your fault young lady… You will be an excellent witch… Just be careful with whom you share those secrets with… Some people aren't quite as nice about being different as others… Be careful who you trust…

I'll do my best.

That you will… And that's why you'll be in

GRYFFINDOR!

-*-*-*-

The sorting was over and the first year Gryffindors were looking at each other… waiting for someone to make some small talk.

"So did the sorting hat talk to you?" asked one of the boys, the one with messy hair and hazel eyes.

"Sure," replied the one with black hair and gray eyes. "We talked about the weather and what our favorite kinds of ice cream were." Lily dropped her mouth and stared at the boy while the other boy laughed.

"Well he told me to trust people," said the skinny pale boy with brown hair and brown eyes.

"He told me I wasn't very smart," said one of the two brunette girls in Gryffindor.

"You're not very smart Bekka," said the curly blonde. "And I must not be either…" said the blonde as she at once began to cry.

"Don't say that," said the handsome boy with gray eyes. "My name is Sirius, by the way. Sirius Black."

"The infamous Blacks," said the blonde as she sniffed and smiled at the boy. "Alyssa Anderson, the first Gryffindor in over 170 years that was an Anderson…"

"Well," said the other boy with black messy hair and hazel eyes. "I'd rather be a Gryffindor any day than a stupid Ravenclaw."

"Here-here," said Sirius as he took a drink from his glass.

"And who are you?" said Bekka as she raised an eyebrow at the boy with messy hair.

"I… am James Potter," said James as he smiled at Bekka whose eyes widened.

"No wonder you'd rather be a Gryffindor," said Alyssa. "You are a Potter… I don't think you've ever been anything but Gryffindors…"

"We had someone in Ravenclaw once… way back… But he was killed in a wizard fight…" said James as he stuffed a bread roll in his mouth.

"Well," sad Lily finally. "I don't need to worry about my background or where my ancestors have been because I'm muggleborn."

"Same here," said the shy brunette girl who hadn't said anything yet that meal.

"Well you two are lucky," said the pudgy boy. "Peter Pettigrew." He stuck out his hand. Lily reached hers out and shook it.

"Lily Evans."

"Katie Sampson." All the girls at the table turned and looked at the skinny pale boy with brown hair and eyes.

"Remus Lupin," said the boy reluctantly. "And I knew I'd be in either in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, my mom was a Gryffindor, my pa a Ravenclaw."

"Well I don't know about the rest of you but the hat seemed a little upset by the time I tried it on," said Bekka.

"He seemed upset when I tried it on and I was first," said Alyssa.

"But you guys said he didn't talk to you or anything… Tell you stuff," said James as he tried to switch the topic back to what he had been talking about earlier.

"He told me I was much too special to be in Ravenclaw," offered Alyssa.

"He told me that you weren't happy about being in Gryffindor so he put me in here," said Sirius as he smiled at Alyssa who blushed quickly and spilled a little soup on her plate.

"He told me I would have fun in Gryffindor," said Remus.

"He told me Gryffindor would make me… or something stupid like that," said Peter as he reached across the table and grabbed a bread roll from the platter.

"He told me I had great ambition," said Bekka as she smiled and winked at James.

"He said to be careful… about trusting people," said Katie very quietly. Remus shot her a worried and confused look…

"What did he say to you Lily?" asked Bekka.

"I-He-said something about my future," said Lily, not wanting to share everything the hat had said.

"Me too," said James as he stared at Lily with a surprised look in his face. "He told me that I'd meet my future wife… and then he told me something about my son not being born… But he said my wife would be good-looking, smart and loyal if I didn't screw it up."

"You probably already did, mate," said Sirius as the dishes began to clear. James and Sirius looked at each other.

"Maybe not yet… I still think there are many possibilities in the world… One way or the other I'm gonna get her," said James as he turned his eyes from Sirius's gray ones to someone else's bright green ones. And their eyes locked, both of them knowing, some way, their futures were already planned out.

An: THANK you for reading! This is really just a little one shot that would have originally gone before my other story as Chapter one... but I had never gotten around to writing it! I hope you enjoyed it.. and if you want to read more about Lily, James, Sirius and their gang then check out my Seventh Year fanfiction titled A year of Secrets Lies and Betrayal http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/4354

Please review!

x0x0

Kaci