Unofficial Portkey Archive

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again by Marauding Moonbabe
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

Marauding Moonbabe

This was not supposed to happen. Not now, not here. Ginny had just discovered the man of her dreams, and now he was in a coma. It was Ginny's place to be in that starched white hospital bed in St. Mungo's, not his. If only he hadn't been so bloody noble. As she smoothed his hair back from his always grief-stricken face, a tear silently rolled down her cheek.

You were once my one companion

You were all that mattered

You were once a friend and lover

Then my world was shattered

Ginny was sitting on the bed, staring at the blank, white wall. The man of her dreams had just run blindly into the final battle, without a word to her. He just nodded his head and walked away, with a purposely blank face. Hermione ran into her room. "Ginny, the final battle has started. Oh my goodness, I'm so scared." Ginny stared with her blank, pupil-less eyes. "He always has to be the bloody hero. I swear, if he dies, I won't shed a tear." Hermione gasped and shook Ginny. "Ginny, Ginny don't say that, yes you will. We may not like him, but he loves you, he loves you. That doesn't happen every lifetime. In the blink of an eye, he could be gone. Now I'm going to go help the love of my life. I don't know about you, but that's all I can do, and I intend to do just that."

@#@#@

Ginny and Hermione had finally made it to the bloody battlefield. There were misshapen bodies everywhere. Ginny almost got sick as she looked upon the corpses of the people she had always known. She cast a curse over her shoulder as she heard the rush of a purple curse come at her. She saw a green light rush toward Hermione and threw her down to the ground. "Thanks," Hermione grunted as she got back up. Ginny began to scan the blood-stained field for her love. `Where is he?' she thought. Then she spotted him. He was battling with the one he had known he would have to battle. He had confided in her his fears of confronting him. She ran up the hill he was battling on as faster than humanly possible. Only thoughts of him were in his mind. Then, her love's forsworn saw her and sharply turned his wand on her. "Avada Kedavra!" Her love had terror written upon his face. As the curse churned nearer, he yelled Avada Kedavra at his opposition then ran to Ginny. "I love you." He whispered before the curse hit him in the back. The forsworn died the moment her love collapsed in her arms.

"DRACO!!!" she screamed as her lungs tore in the effort. At the same moment, She heard Hermione scream, "Harry, you did it!" and jumped into Harry's arms, being swept into a kiss. She watched the couple silently swear their love as tears rolled down her cheeks. Draco, he had been hit by his father, and now he was dead or worse.

@#@#@

Wishing you were somehow here again

Wishing you were somehow near

Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed

Somehow you would be here

Ginny was waiting for the test results to come back for Draco. Every minute, her heart shattered further. She both cursed the MediWizard for taking too long and not long enough. She had adrenaline pumping through her because of the anxiety. She thought she would die of the wait.

"Miss Weasley." The MediWizard entered the door of the ward and came through the curtains separating Draco and Ginny from the rest of the world. "I have the test results back. As the only one attached to Mr. Malfoy left, you are the sole receiver of this report. No one else will get this report unless granted your permission," the doctor droned the regular warning, coldly impersonal. Ginny nodded silently, her breath held, her heart stopped.

"It appears that Mr. Malfoy had blocked a Killing Curse for you. Then, as the curse hit his back, he said something that he had never said. Admitted, if you will. He said, `I love you.' Apparently, if someone admits to love for the first time while getting hit by a Killing Curse, then they will not die. He has therefore gone into a deep coma. We do not know when he will wake up if he ever wakes up. We're very sorry, but he may not live past the night. If he does, he will most likely stay in a coma for the rest of his life."

Ginny nodded, her face stonic. The MediWizard left with a nod of his head. As soon as the door shut, her head dropped onto Draco's chest and began to sob. She sobbed uncontrollably for heaven knows how long, until she heard a soft knock on the door. She straitened up, hastily wiped her eyes, and as calmly as she could said, "Come in." Harry and Hermione, arm in arm, walked in the room. They had been listening outside the door the whole time. Ginny was relieved to see her friends, but she wanted For Draco to hold her. She always went to Draco when she had fallen. Now he was fallen, and she had no one to go to.

Wishing I could hear your voice again

Knowing that I never would

Dreaming of you won't help me to do

All that you dreamed I could

"Oh, Ginny, I'm so sorry. If there is anything that I can do, please tell me. Same for Harry." Hermione said, hugging her friend as tightly as possible. Harry just lamely stood there, his face looking green-tinged. His eyes had not left Draco since he entered the room. It was all his fault. If he had believed that he was good before he did, he would be alive, laughing, right now. Oh, no. He had caused Ginny a lifetime of grief because he was mistrustful. As Harry and Hermione walked out of the room, he voiced his fears, only to get straightened out immediately by Hermione.

@#@#@

The next year passed by very slowly for Ginny. The most painful day for her was when she was Maiden of Honor for Harry and Hermione's wedding, with no Draco to grin joyfully at. Instead, she walked down the isle with her brother. As the happy couple declared their love for each other, Ginny felt a flood of tears slide down her cheeks as she realized that this would never happen for her, because her love was in a coma. Part of her was in a coma. The next-to-worst memory was Ron and Luna's wedding. That time she was paired with Seamus Finnigan, which was quite awkward. It wasn't as bad as Hermione's wedding, but painful all the same.

Passing bells and sculpted angels

Cold and monumental

Seem for you the wrong companions

You were warm and gentle

And yet, every day after work, she went to Saint Mungo's to sit by Draco from 5-6 o'clock. It was engraved in her schedule. Every one of her friends, family, and employers knew not to ask anything of her for that hour. On Christmas, on Easter, on Halloween, every day of the year. Some days she would sit there and tell Draco's unmoving body of her day, and others she would sit there and cry on his chest. She cried only when alone with Draco. All traces were erased before she left. He had not moved since he was transferred to the Long Term Spell Damage Ward.

A year to the day of the final battle found Ginny sitting by Draco's side once again. "Draco, honey, do you know what today is? You've been in this coma for a year to the day." Tears fell silently down her cheeks, and then she smiled at the other part that day. "You have also declared your love to me every day for the past year. Every day that you lay silent, you declare your love. Every moment. I bet you're happier than you ever had in your whole life since you now have love." She was now sobbing harder than a year ago. "And you know what, if I could trade places with you, I sure as Voldemort's dead would. She then started to sing in her mezzo soprano voice that sounded like thick, rich chocolate:

"Too many years fighting back tears

Why can't the past just die?

Wishing you were somehow here again

Knowing we must say goodbye

Try to forgive, teach me to live

Give me the strength to try

No more memories, no more silent tears

No more gazing across the wasted years

Help me say goodbye

Help me say goodbye"

She then slumped back in her chair, still holding Draco's hand tightly. She sobbed silently, and then felt a tight squeeze on her hand. She gasped in shock. "Draco?" she breathed, nearly unheard yet had an entire soul clinging to it. She heard a rough voice rasp. "I'll call the MediWizard, Draco."

"No... No don't. Not yet." Draco finally rasped. Ginny showed signs of protesting, but stopped short when she saw Draco's face. "Ginny, I have come to tell you goodbye. I won't make it much longer. I have to tell you that I love you. Ginny, I love you more than the deepest depths of the earth." "Draco, please, don't talk like that. Please don't. Let me call the MediWizard." "No, don't they'll be too late. Listen Ginny, I have heard every word you said for the past year. Every word. Then, I heard that song. It was as clear as angel voices. I heard every word vibrating in my head. Please, sing it to me one last time. It sure beats "Fresh Pickled Toad". Ginny giggled, and play-sang:

His eyes are as gray as fresh-mined silver,

His hair is as gold as the sun,

I'm glad that he's mine,

He's really divine,

My hero that conquered himself.

Draco chuckled deeply. "Yeah, yeah, I get it, please, sing the Angel Song. I think that's what I'm going to hear everyday for a long time. I'd like to hear in your voice one last time. For me." Ginny was now glassy-eyed, unable to cry. So she sang.

"Wishing you were somehow here again

Wishing you were somehow near

Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed

Somehow you would be here

Wishing I could hear your voice again

Knowing that I never would

Dreaming of you won't help me to do

All that you dreamed I could

Wishing you were somehow here again

Knowing we must say goodbye

Try to forgive, teach me to live

Give me the strength to try

Help me say goodbye

Help me say goodbye"

Draco smiled and said, "Until you join me, that's the best singing I'm going to hear for a while. Ginny, live your life. I blame you in no way. I would do it again if I had the chance. I'll always be with you. And Love, I have one more request." Ginny nodded and said, "Anything." He put his hand behind her head and pulled her down, kissing her softly. "One tear. Just one. You have only one tear for me, so make it a good one." A tear slowly came out of the corner of her eye. The last tear she ever cried until she was reunited with her love once more. Draco kissed it away, then mouthed "I love you" as his head sank into the pillow. His eyes fluttered together, and the last thing he saw in this world was Ginny's sweet face, singing the Angel Song to him as he slipped into a better world.


-->