Unofficial Portkey Archive

Broken by midnight pain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Broken

midnight pain

A Pregnancy

You and she were never particularly good friends. But you were friends enough. You never thought she would come to you; then again, you never thought she would end up in this situation. You look at Ginny who seems lost in her thoughts, or maybe she's lost in her fears. You suppose either is just as bad as the other. You think maybe she came to you because you were always the "Smart One". Maybe she hopes you can figure this out for her. Fix it. You can't.

"Ginny." You speak softly, almost as if you're afraid your voice might hurt her. She turns to face you. Her eyes are shining with tears and you watch as they roll silently down her cheeks. "You have to tell them."

[It should have been her mother, not you standing here like this. You don't understand and you don't question it, either. You stopped questioning things when Harry left.]

"Hermione," she says softly. "You remember when I was younger? When I used to be so head-over-heels for Harry?" At the mention of his name your whole body stiffens. He was never really hers, and you know that, but hearing her talk about him makes you uncomfortable. You nod. "I used to pretend that we would get married some day, and have kids. Then things didn't work out and I knew it was for the best." She looks up at you. "It was so obvious; he was always in love with you."

[You know it's better not to speak. You know she's right. You hate him for hurting you.]

"Ginny," you say. "When did you find out you were pregnant?"

She says: "Today." You know she's lying but you say nothing.

"Who?" You ask and you realize that you're not being polite.

"Hermione-"

"Just tell me. Don't be childish! This isn't just your life, this is your baby's life, and if you can't handle that you should have thought of that before you had sex. Not to mention, this is going to affect the rest of your family, and the life of whoever is the father of this baby." You don't know where your anger comes from. You realize why you and she were never good friends.

"Draco Malfoy." She speaks so quietly you aren't sure you heard. You stare at her expectantly. "I said, Draco Malfoy."

You feel uncomfortably warm. You feel the contents of your stomach lurch, and you fight not to throw up. You don't understand her, this, them. You thought she was smarter than this. No, that's you. You would have known better.

[You find that you can't look at her. You wonder if you ever will again. You decide to pray for her, because she will need it in the end.]

"I can't believe you." Your voice is filled with venom. "You fucked Draco Malfoy! You disgust me, Ginny." You think you've made her cry again. You don't care. You never thought she would betray everyone, anyone for that matter. You feel sorry for the child. Stronger than your pity is your hope that whatever happens with her, with Malfoy, with this child, hurts.

[There was a time when you wouldn't think things like that. That time was gone. You're different now.]


-->