Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fragmentation by midnight pain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fragmentation

midnight pain

A/N: This is going to be a series of 100 stories, some only drabbles, some ficlets, some short stories.

Disclaimer: Jo is the mastermind behind these characters, I only play with them

The First Movement:

Beginnings

Time is unforgiving. It seems so long ago that they knew innocence. This moment, surrounded by unspoken regrets, they sit in front of the fireplace watching the flames dance and flicker, casting an orangish glow over their skin. They sit so close they almost touch. She says softly "Everything is so changed." Neither of them could define the timeline, unsure of when it became this - moments interspersed over the years, and silent realizations melted into whispered confessions.

"We knew," he says quietly. "We knew everything would change. We couldn't expect time to hold its breath just for us." She hears the sadness, the quiet desperation for something no longer tangible; she hears his soft regret.

She isn't sure what to say, or even what there is to be said. Sometimes, the silence is comforting (it's easier to remember the beginning when it's too quiet). She wishes for a moment that she could go back and capture the beginning and keep it always. The impossibility makes it seem even further from them. She looks at him as he stares intently at the burning wood.

"I wish I could fix everything, Harry," she says softly, touching his hand (and she remembers the way his first touch felt and the way his skin felt against hers in the dark).

"I guess…" he says quietly "some things are meant to be broken, Hermione."

(but not you not this not us)

Her touch on his cheek is gentle, and when he looks at her, he remembers. When their lips touch, when she opens her mouth to him; when their clothes are forgotten and they touch this way; when she feels him inside and he feels her around him, they know this is all they need.

(and they begin all over again)


-->