Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Granger Defense by Aaran St Vines
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Granger Defense

Aaran St Vines
The Granger Defense
A Harry Potter Fan Fiction by Aaran St Vines
My gratitude goes to my writing coach, Kokopelli, and my proof reader, ebdarcy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Chapter Twelve - Chatting with Hermione and Thunderfire
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N - A number of you commented that I made Hermione into a mess last chapter. Here's why.

~*~*~

Flashback -
Harry and Hermione hadn't been shouting at each other, but their voices were raised. "Harry, I just don't want you to get hurt, or arrested."

Harry dropped his eyes to his hands for a moment. He raised his head to look at her squarely. His emotionless stare firmly seated on his face, he responded, "And I just wanted to share with you knowledge that has been lost for a thousand years."

Harry swirled his hand and removed the sound-dampening spell. He quickly made his way out of the Great Hall. Hermione sat with a harrumphing sound. Tears of frustration sparkled in her eyes.

Ginny briskly stood, drawing Ron and Hermione's gaze to her. "You know, Hermione, for the smartest witch in a generation, you're the densest woman I've ever met." With that Ginny ran out of the Great Hall in search of Harry.

Ron looked at her. Hermione's face showed surprise, embarrassment, and hurt.

Ron said, "You love him, don't you?"

Hermione bit her lip and then nodded her head slightly before she dropped her head to her hands. Her tears flowed freely for quite a while.

~*~

Wordlessly Ron took Hermione's arm and led her out of the Great Hall. Hogwarts was busier this summer than it had been in anyone's living memory, but there were still many places where one could go for a spot of privacy. Ron guided Hermione to a dusty alcove. She sat on the bench, safely out of sight from the main hallway, he sat near her, and she flung herself on his shoulder, crying without restraint.

Ron let her cry. This summer had been a turning point in his life. The thwarted rescue attempt at the Department of Mysteries had been a wake up call to him. The night when the Granger family escaped death and moved into number twelve, Grimmauld Place, he'd rushed forward and kissed Hermione fully. That action hadn't involved a lot of thought at the moment, notwithstanding the fact that he'd thought on and off of kissing her for most of the previous school year.

When he had daydreamed about that kiss, he also dreamed that kissing would somehow transform them in some way into a couple heading towards a meaningful life together. He'd hesitated for a year because he'd feared Hermione wouldn't feel that way; rejection would have crushed him.

It never occurred to him that he too would find in that instant that he did not feel that way about her. Neither understood it right away, he'd discovered as they discussed that moment and their possible romantic relationship over the next few days. They openly explored their feelings together. Both admitted that they had expected to like each other, but they were perplexed at their neutral reaction and actually spent time trying to churn up more positively romantic feelings.

In the end, they agreed that they were not meant for each other in that manner, but they also agreed that the exploration process had deepened their friendship and given each new respect for the other.

It wasn't until several weeks later that the two had discovered that Harry had heard about the snog, and still assumed that they were an ongoing couple. Before they could dissuade Harry of this belief, Aberration Day struck, Harry fought a hopeless battle, and somehow won, killing eight Death Eaters and wounding a number of others.

The aberrant potion had changed Harry, but unlike any other Paladin on the series of potions he'd gone forward, not backwards. For the rest of the Paladins, Aberration Day turned the emotional maturation part of the program upside down.

Roughly a minute and a half after Ron had led her to this out of the way bench, Hermione had sniffed her way to dry eyes. She thanked Ron for letting her drain like that.

"It's okay, Hermione. I understand that females need to cry from time to time. I don't really understand the benefit myself, but I understand that you might need it on occasion."

Ron cleared his throat after pausing a few moments. "Hermione, do you think it's a bit weird that while most of the Paladins have gone back to uncontrolled snogging, you and I aren't nearly as drawn to it? I'm worried about Harry, more so than usual, and you're really worried about him. Also, isn't it odd that Harry isn't worrying about much of anything at all? He's sort of emotionless, and then there's that bit about Dumbledore telling us he's probably really eighteen, not just getting the growth to eighteen like the rest of us, but really eighteen now according to the Goblins. Doesn't that bother you?"

Hermione looked like she was slowly pondered this. She shook her head. "I'm so messed up emotionally; I don't know what to think. I can't wait for these potions to end so I can regain some semblance of rational thought. Oh, I'm glad I'm on these potions to prepare for this war. I won't leave Harry to fight this on his own. But I'm out of control, and you know how I despise that.

"Oh, Ron, when I think what could have happened on that day. I was sooooo worried." Her voice took on an obvious frantic note. "And now he's into Spell Mongering and I fear for him so. I know he won't go Dark, but I can't be there to help him and protect him."

She sounded even more spare when she said, "Ron, I just know Harry's going to face Voldemort again and I fear I won't know enough or be powerful enough or brave enough to help him. OH, RON! What will I do-"

"Hermione!" Ron gently put his finger to her lips to quiet her. He wanted to do this right without incurring her wrath. He'd observed this summer that even though Weasley female wrath was fear inspiring, Granger female wrath could be just as devastating.

"I know, Hermione, that you fear for Harry, but don't you see that you're a little over the edge? He and Dumbledore both say that he's safer now than he's ever been, and better prepared to fight if he must. Your response to the aberration, I believe, is to over-worry about him. Even mum has noticed, and your parents.

"Tell you what; let's go see if we can find Dumbledore. We'll tell him about my theory and see what he thinks. That's always comforting, getting Dumbledore's opinion. Shall we?"

They walked to the Gargoyle entranceway, discussing possible passwords. As they stepped up to it, Remus Lupin opened it, coming down from the office. He asked about Harry's whereabouts, and they told him to try the paddock near Hagrid's. Hermione was immediately relieved to a degree to hear that Lupin would be with Harry during this potentially dangerous Mongering effort.

They climbed the stairs. Dumbledore greeted them and offered them lemon drops. When they declined, the Headmaster told them that these sweets were new and improved candies that Harry had given him. They then accepted, and soon expressed their appreciation of the quality of the treat.

Ron told Dumbledore about his theories. Hermione added a few of her thoughts, and then Ron asked Dumbledore for his opinion.

"Very observant of you, Mr. Weasley. I have been receiving reports from many of the parents and such who watch the Paladins during these visits. They report what you have in a little more detail but from different perspectives and examples. I had come to a similar conclusion as yours, but had not considered the few of you who did not spend the entire hour kissing. Your experiences and Harry's confirm my thoughts, proving the old adage that exceptions can prove the rule.

"Miss Granger, from what you two have said and my observations of you over the years, I believe you are definitely being caused to worry obsessively about Harry. We are all concerned for his wellbeing, but you are as you two have guessed, acting a bit irrationally, and I can only imagine how that makes you feel.

"As you know, the Paladin potions were intentionally formulated to give each participant a significant urge to kiss the member of the opposite sex they were visiting with, just for the first few minutes of a 'visit.' This process had worked until Aberration Day. Most spent it kissing, and reverted to their original maturity level pre-Paladin acceleration potions. You two spent a little time kissing, but you, Ronald, your time hanging upside down with the blood rushing to your brain, probably had a positive affect on your mental capacities in some manner. Do you feel smarter or better able to understand matters? Are you more contemplative, that is, do you find yourself pondering deeper thoughts than has been your practice?" Ron nodded sheepishly and Dumbledore smiled.

"Hermione, you spent most of the hour worrying about Harry. The results of that hour you are just now coming to understand. Now, however, knowing this, you should be able to begin to control it to a degree. We believe that all these effects are wearing off as you and your fellow Paladins continue on in the program. 'Forewarned is forearmed' is an appropriate Muggle saying for this situation.

"Also, I believe that when a Paladin faces another in a 'visit,' each of you will gain more control. Therefore, perhaps, Miss Granger, you should tell Harry about this. I do advise you do so not during an actual 'visit.' There will be enough emotions stirring through you with the urges of that time. Harry would hardly blame you for actions caused by matters out of your control. It may make you a bit self-conscious to tell him, but he is still your dear friend. He will want to do anything to help you."

"Professor," Hermione lowered her head, obviously blushed before speaking. "I'd be very embarrassed to speak to him about this after, well, after the argument I had with him today. Could Ron tell him? OH! I'm such a coward."

"Mr. Weasley could tell him, but you and Harry would be much better served to have this discussion together, perhaps alone might help more. This will be an opportunity for emotional growth for you, and him I daresay. Remember the charge, 'Gryffindors forward!' and have the discussion."

Dumbledore winked at Ron, and then he turned back to Hermione who was still looking down. "Consider it a class assignment for extra credit, the credit being in the knowledge you will gain and the friendship you will strengthen. Mr. Weasley could assist you by making sure your conversation is not interrupted."

Dumbledore twinkled his eyes at Ron this time. Ron knew that Dumbledore was not above setting up situations for people to grow through difficulties. Some would call it manipulation, but this was benevolent manipulation at worst, Ron had decided.

Ron pondered that Dumbledore just might know of Hermione's recently confessed love for Harry. Perhaps the Headmaster knew of Harry's similar feelings. Ron felt this line of reasoning could easily lead to a headache.

"I believe Harry is setting up a temporary Spell Mongery at the paddock near Hagrid's hut." Dumbledore said. "I have no idea what that entails, but I am sure you two will find it fascinating, whatever the substance of it is. Perhaps, particularly if Harry is pleased with his efforts, you two may find the right opportunity afterwards, Miss Granger, for you to talk with Harry."

Ron thanked Dumbledore for his help and Hermione added her gratitude. It was obvious to both men that she was wrapped in thought. The two left to find their best friend.

~*~

Roughly thirty minutes before, right after Harry and Hermione had had their brew-up about Spell Mongering in the Great Hall, Ginny vented her frustration with Hermione's crude efforts to interact with Harry. Then she ran out to catch Harry before he stomped off to where he couldn't be found.

Ginny saw the door outside closing and ran after him. She called from the top step, and he paused for her to catch up. Then he turned and walked so swiftly away that she had to run to stay with him.

"Harry, if we're going to run, let's run. This pace is too fast for me to walk and too slow for jogging."

"Oh, sorry, Ginny." Harry slowed immediately. "I'm just...." Harry groaned and turned away.

"Stop Harry. Here, let me hold your arm, that way I can pull to slow you." Harry chuckled. He extended his arm and she took it. She said, "Better. Where are we going? I want to talk to you but I need to see your face to talk."

"We're heading to Hagrid's. I have a dangerous and Dark spell to monger. OOOHHH HAHAHAHA!" Harry tried to sound like a spooky character in an old movie, but Ginny didn't really get it. "If you want to leave me alone now I'll understand." Ginny thought this was both funny and a bit petulant, but then again he had just had one of his best friends stomp on his pride and joy, when he'd thought he had something choice to share with her. He said nothing the rest of the way to Hagrid's and neither did Ginny.

Hagrid was not there, but he left a note that he'd be back soon. Harry sat on the porch in the shade and Ginny sat nearby, but not too near. He closed his eyes. She let him stew for almost two minutes. Then he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Feel better?" she asked. He smirked and closed his eyes again. She added cryptically, "It's not at all what you think, you know."

Harry opened his eyes. "What's not what I think?"

"Hermione isn't afraid you'll go Dark with Spell Mongering."

"Well, she bloody well-" Harry paused and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Ginny. I have no call to use such language. I'm not angry with Hermione either, just disappointed I guess. She doesn't trust me-"

"It's not that, Harry," Ginny interrupted. "She trusts you more than you know, yes more now after the Department of Mysteries and the attack on her family. You should hear her ask questions of others that have been with you this summer. She's only seen you when you two were on a 'visit' and your emotions were running you two ragged those times. She saw you a moment when you were splinched to Dobby, and then a little bit otherwise, like at your birthday party.

"None of those other times have you two been alone to talk, and during the visits you two were hardly yourselves." Ginny paused and wondered just what she could tell him about Hermione's true feelings.

"Harry, during the a time you were fighting those Death Eaters, the aberrant surge from that bad potion did all sorts of things to you. You're now really eighteen and the power you have rolls off you sometimes. All the other Paladins I believe spent the hour snogging their lips off; that's all they think about during their visits, and after their visits, come to think of it. It's not like sixteen-year-olds getting mature bodies, it's like they are twelve with the bodies of grown ups and the hormones of randy teenagers. Surely you've noticed others in the castles acting oddly?"

"Yeah." Harry said.

"Well, Hermione and Ron did not spend the hour kissing. They snogged for a minute at most then they were separated. I ran in yelling my head off about Death Eaters attacking you. Hermione spent all that time worrying about you. Her aberration from all this is super-worry about you. It's irrational, but it is lessening to a degree. It flares now at the worst of times - when you're around."

Ginny grinned. "Ron spent some of that time hanging by his feet. Now he spends a good deal of time, believe it our not, thinking, pondering deep thoughts and the strategy of Transfiguration."

"The what?"

"Don't ask, Harry, you really don't want to know. Ron also went through the Floo that day carrying you to St. Mungo's. He was able to do something for you and immediately know the healers were helping you, so he's not worried as much. Hermione spent the entire hour worrying about you and hearing nothing.

"Then the first thing she hears, hours later, is that you were attacked again at the hospital. She was right spare until the party. Her father even asked about knockout drops, whatever that is."

"Muggle version of a sleeping potion," Harry said. "Put a few drops in a drink and the person passes right out." Harry stared down at his hands for a moment.

"And I yelled at her." Harry said. He began to get the look Ginny knew too well.

"You didn't know, Harry, and she started the yelling. You held your temper better than any Weasley would have just now." She thought for a moment before grinning and saying, "Not that holding your temper a little better than a Weasley is any great compliment."

They chuckled. Hagrid came and they chatted a while. Harry told Hagrid that Dumbledore told him to monger Thunderfire down on the paddock. Hagrid asked to watch, and rushed off to run a pressing errand and then get back to see Harry monger Thunderfire.

While the half-giant was gone, Ginny decided to tell Harry one more thing about their mutual best female friend. "Harry, you remember I told you that Ron and Hermione were not dating, don't you?"

"Yeah, you said that they discussed it for nearly a week after the big kiss the day the Grangers moved into Grimmauld Place. Why, are they back on now?"

"No, not that. They are really much better friends because of that experience. That's kind of odd - I certainly didn't remain friends with my boyfriends after we broke up."

Harry pondered this for a second and eventually said, "You and Dean broke up? Do I need to break his arm, or did you already break his heart?" "Harrr-eee," Ginny said, drawing his name out. "We had one small date and said that we'd write over the summer. I doubted it would last since there'd be hardly anyway for us to see each other until school. He got to know Tinica Chambers during Paladin visits and one thing led to another. And that was before this program and all of its chances for diversions. Besides..." Ginny stopped talking in mid sentence, and hung her head.

Speaking towards the ground she quietly said, "Besides, Harry, Tinica may be short like me, but she was perfectly shaped before the Acceleration potions and the exercise. Now, she can't be worse, and I'm just..."

"I don't understand, Ginny."

Could Harry be so dense she wondered? He's acting so adult now and just talked about his appearance and being hero-worshipped with such detachment - could he not be aware of... her appearance?

She coldheartedly stopped the tears that wanted to come to her eyes. She looked him squarely in the eyes. She determined to be just as matter-of-fact. "There've been no women born into the Weasley family in generations. The portraits of the last two, showed one tall and slender, rail-like, and the other was a short, squat bulldog of a woman. Prewitt women like mum are... like mum. Filled out in all directions, pretty but . . . plump. I should be one of these by now. Instead I'm short, flat up top, but with a big bottom. And I could pass for twelve, even though I'm soon to be sixteen. Who am I... to look at?" She looked back down.

In less than five seconds Harry responded.

"Ginny. Don't you have any clue how pretty you are? Several blokes have commented on the attractiveness of your bum around me, thinking I wouldn't react like Ron. They'll never again speak like that out loud about you. Although... in their defense, I'll tell you just this once, it is, in my considered opinion, a fine posterior. Furthermore, you are far from flat, and many guys look forward to seeing how "things develop" by the end of your schooling."

Ginny was truly over Harry, but she'd longed for a complimentary word from him for so long, and this was just what she'd have wanted for years. But the mischievous Ginny responded. "You're not getting sweet on me are you, Potter?" She grinned a very Weasley grin seen quite often on the twins. "I have my eyes on a Gryffindor, but he's not you."

"Who, Ginny?"

"Never you mind Potter. He's one of the only guys who has seen me during all the years."

"Well, don't you wait to talk to him, particularly if he's in the Paladin Program. Be a Gryffindor, tell him how you feel. If he has a brain in his head he'll jump at the chance to date you." Harry said. "Besides, I bet he's just waiting for an opportunity to get to know you better, but he's afraid you're out of his league."

"My, my, such flattering words, Potter." They both chuckled and then she continued, "Good advice Harry, I think I shall, but hey, I want to talk about you and a girl."

Harry chuckled. Then his face went almost blank. "It's not going to happen, Ginny. I have a war to fight." "A girlfriend is a very good thing to fight for, Harry."

No levity appeared on his face. He said, "I fight to save all of you I consider my friends. I fight so there'll be no more orphans or widows. I fight for Cedric... Sirius... and my parents." This last sentence came out just above a whisper, but before Ginny could admonish him because of the fatalism of his words, Harry raised his head and said, "After I kill Riddle, maybe I'll have time for a girl and perhaps a family. But nothing gets in my way of killing him and ending all of this."

Harry pierced her with his eyes. "Dumbledore wants me finished with Auror training in four years so I can fight Tom then. If that's what it takes, then fine. But I don't plan on letting Riddle and his thugs kill and plunder for four more years. I'd fight him tomorrow but I won't be ready then. I am doing whatever I can over the months to come to be prepared sooner. Maybe in two years. One would be even better.

"You'd make a fine Paladin, Ginny, but I truly hope you'll have no need to take that potion, ever. I want this over as soon as possible. No time for girlfriends and no time for frills. I'll keep playing Quidditch to keep my sanity, but little else other than things that will make me a cold blooded Riddle-exterminator." Harry paused. "And Death Eater-deleter," Harry added with a smile.

Ginny smiled at his comments, but she didn't buy the 'no time for a girlfriend' part. She had a hunch what Harry really wanted to happen, and these words, though mostly true, left out the fact that he thought the girl she thought he wanted was out of his reach.

"I think Hermione fancies you, Harry." Ginny blurted out. She was convinced Hermione was fully smitten in love with him, but she couldn't say that. She'd also thought since the birthday party that Harry was interested in her bushy headed friend.

Harry stopped dead in his tracks, if that could happen to someone sitting. He stared off beyond the pond, beyond Hogwarts for that matter. Finally he said, "If that's so, please advise her that I have no time for a girlfriend. Tell her to reconsider Ron, or maybe Terry Boot with Ravenclaw; he's smart enough for her."

Ginny knew this was Harry at his most sincere, but she didn't believe a word of it.

Before she could respond, Hagrid and Remus arrived back at the paddock.

~*~*~

Remus said, "I hope you don't mind me coming, Harry, and, I hope we haven't missed anything."

"I don't want just anyone to know about Spell Mongering, or my theories and actions when I do it, but you three are definitely on my short list of those I trust completely." Harry said this not looking at his friends, but Ginny noticed that the faces of the two men probably matched her delight in being included in Harry's circle of trust.

In the past few minutes Harry had walked around the pond and just looked at it from different angles. He'd thrown grass blades into the air to judge wind direction, and he had squatted down to look at the lay of the ground. He'd finally and silently nodded to himself and used his wand to cut the grass very short in a thirty-foot by thirty-foot square right down to the water's edge.

When Hagrid and Remus had arrived, Harry had just levitated a work bench of Hagrid's from the back of his hut down to the cleared area, and had conjured a small platform about three-feet square out in the water about ten or twelve feet away.

"Alright to use this bench, Hagrid?" Harry called. "I'll place a fireproofing charm on it."

"Fine by me, 'arry. I cobbled that one together in less than two hours, years ago. A new one won't take any longer if sumthin' happens to it."

Harry shot his wand from his arm holster and spoke several spells quietly to himself before retracting his wand.

"Blazes, 'arry. You're right fast with that there wand holster," Hagrid said. "I always wanted one, well, you know, before.... But I've never seen anyone so fast with one."

Harry gazed at his large friend for several moments. He then smiled, but said nothing in response. Instead he said, "If you three would come over here." He pointed to his left as he stepped to the right of the bench. "Ginny up front, Remus to her right, and Hagrid, you stand behind Remus. That way I have a narrower window of where I need to deflect anything and I'll need smaller barriers."

"I can hold a shield for us," Remus said. "You'll use too much power protecting us and mongering, won't you?"

"That won't be necessary. I don't use shields like Protego. I'll conjure a fire proof, projectile proof barrier that I don't have to hold. It's transparent, though you can see it. It looks sort of like glass. The barrier lasts about thirty minutes and when it turns pinkish it's beginning to fade in strength, so I conjure a new one. A Monger rarely needs one since few people watch them work. But the spell work for it was in Telemachus Grind's journal and I tested it a while back just out of curiosity."

Harry cast the spell wordlessly and then looked at the bench while he drew a new looking journal from his bag. No one had seen the bag on Harry's shoulder before that. When the bag disappeared a moment later Remus said, "Harry, your bag, er...."

Harry looked down at his bag, which was not there. Then he smiled. "I always noticed how Hermione had such a huge book bag during school. She carried so many extra books. I also noticed how Tonks used a spell to lighten my trunk last summer. I started to combine that Lightening spell with an Engorgement spell to increase the carrying capacity, but before it was finished I decided I wanted the bag to disappear also, just not be there at all if I didn't need it.

"Well, it's darn useful, but my conjurations fall apart after a week or two. I'm studying on how to make it permanent, but the Runes I've studied say I also need Arithmancy, and Arithmancy says I need more Runes. The spells get too big. I'm trying to think up a way to get permanence without them. I'll make you all a bag once I figure it out."

Ginny noticed that Hagrid seemed merely proud of Harry, but Remus had a look of amazement on his face.

Harry turned to them after setting out his journal and waving his hand over the open page so it would stay opened to that place. "Spell Mongering uses the idea of an iron monger or a blacksmith as a metaphor."

"A wha'?" Hagrid asked.

"A metaphor," Harry repeated, "A figure of speech. Think of it as using certain words to describe something that it really doesn't describe, but it explains it better anyway." Harry looked at the confused look on Hagrid's face and continued. "Oh, well let's see. Oh, I know.

"Hagrid, caring for the magical creatures you love so much is not just a job. It's more like a calling, like a priest or monk called into service. You are the Shepard of your congregation of animals."

Hagrid stood up straighter at these words. "Thank you, 'arry. I've always thought of it as much more than work. It's a de-light." The big guy just beamed at Harry, and Ginny saw Harry smiling back at his first friend from the wizarding world.

"See, caring for your animals has nothing really to do with pastoring a church, but you understood exactly how I used something unrelated to relate to your feeling for your position here. That's a metaphor.

"Spell Mongering doesn't use a real forge but when I bring certain pieces of spells together I think about it like I'm heating them in a forge to mold them together. I work on it in my mind like I am pounding on magic, or hacking at it with an axe, or boring holes in it with an auger. But you don't see any such actual tools on the workbench. I actually find myself wanting to visit a working blacksmith's shop just to see how they do things. It might teach me something."

Harry lowered his head for a moment before looking at those present more seriously. "I've never showed any of this to anyone. I don't know if any of you will see anything at all. I just read the old journal Dobby gave me and did what it said. Since then I've found out that most Spell Monger apprentices didn't start until their early thirties, and many who applied were turned away within the first hour. Although, Telemachus Grind, my distant relative, started at my age, as did a few others.

"So, the first thing I'm going to do is open up a base slug of magic, like a slug of iron used by a smith, and add the elements of a spell that makes it a charm. Thunderfire is a charm, but it creates something out of nothing like conjuring does. Conjuring is a form of Transfiguration that creates more solid or stable items out of the substance of the air, so to speak. This is a charm in that the finished piece of magic brings an active force out of nothing, a blindingly hot light that is gone in an instant unless it catches something on fire.

"The base slug of magic will look like a rounded cube of silvery sparkling light, roughly an inch square. If it were a Conjuration spell, it would be duller and red-ish colored. I can stabilize it there for about a minute."

Harry waved his wand and muttered a spell. A clear sheet of what Muggles might consider Plexiglas appeared in front of his friends. He said, "Stay behind the barrier and nothing can hurt you, if it gets away from me. I've never not been able to stop a spell gone awry, but I am very serious about protection. He turned back to his journal read for a bit, and then raised his wand.

"Harry, what about your protection?" Ginny said.

"I'm wearing it." He looked at his friends and explained further. "As a part of my Monger training, I created the spells needed to protect myself from almost everything. I'm also trained to know when something is going wrong, so I can end it quickly or get out even quicker. Safety rules fill the margins of Grind's journal, and I follow his advice strictly. As a Spell Monger I always have on protective charms and spells when I work. Raising them takes little time and is second nature to me now. Think of a blacksmith putting on goggles, heavy gloves, and an asbestos apron as soon as he walks into his shop."

After this, Ginny watched Harry concentrate with his eyes closed for fifteen or twenty seconds. She'd wondered how Harry would "open up a base slug of magic" as he'd expressed it. It appeared that he was calling it up from within himself.

Suddenly she barely saw a faint, pulsing cube of light floating in front of Harry at his eye level and about two feet from his face. He closed his eyes for a moment and stepped back, as if he needed to rest a bit. Shortly he stepped back up to the cube and raised his wand. He said nothing out loud, but she watched as he poked at it without touching the faint cube. In a minute it flared a bit brighter and he stepped back and waved his hand at the cube. It stopped pulsing and seemed to darken a bit in color, though it became no more substantial in her appraisal.

"It's be-u-ti-ful, 'arry. I've never seen anythin' more amazin.' You called up magic out of your soul or sumwheres about."

Remus cleared his voice and asked, "You see something, Hagrid? Do you, Ginny?"

She said, "I see a cube of sparkling light, or, it was sparkling, now it's not. It's sort of translucent. I can vaguely see it."

"Wha' you talkin' 'bout, Ginny. It's there as plain as the beard on my face, solid as you please. Remus?"

Lupin was staring intently around and about Harry. "I... I don't see a thing, but I felt Harry draw up something powerful and bring it forth. I can still feel it after you cast that holding spell on it, Harry."

Harry raised his hand and swished it like he might be commanding the bit of unfinished magic to go away. Ginny saw it float out over the pond and pop like small firecracker.

All three obviously heard the pop. Remus said, "I didn't mean to spoil your work, Harry. It must take a lot to do what you did. "I'm sorry I-"

Harry held up his hand and Remus paused. "It's no real effort, Remus. I can do that a dozen times an hour and not tire. It just takes a little out of me for a few seconds. As I said, this is the first time I've shown this to anyone ...fascinating."

Ginny noticed the thoughtful face Harry seemed to have acquired over the summer. Then he said, "Telemachus wrote that there is no telling who will or won't be able to see the mongering of a spell. You have to have a certain amount of power to see it, but if you can't see it that doesn't mean you aren't powerful. He wrote that both Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor couldn't see a spell being mongered, but that both Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff could vaguely see it. So you're in good company, Remus and Ginny, and you're more powerful than you may think, Hagrid."

"Ah 'arry. You should'na say such things."

"Why not, Hagrid, it's true. If you could see it, you have a good bit of magical power. Now what else you have that Ginny has a bit of, and Remus has none of, no Monger has ever figured out. At least Telemachus had never heard of whatever it is. He wrote on and on about what it might be, and I never until this moment could figure out why he was so caught up in figuring this out, but now I'm most curious myself. I'll have to think about it and maybe try some experiments. I hope I can ask you all to help with any test to better understand it." They all nodded and he continued, "If you want to stay, Remus, maybe you'll see it in a bit, but the journal doesn't say that might happen. Grind did write that those who barely see quite often increase in their abilities to see it over time."

Remus said, "I'll stay, Harry. Just tell me what you're doing when you can, and I'll follow along. I believe I can understand the process even if I can't see it."

Harry looked at him thoughtfully. "Alright, it will be like when you first told me about a Patronus, but I didn't get to try it."

Harry turned back to his work. "Now I'll go through the same process of creating a basis for a charm, then I'll add the elements that make it Thunderfire. In a branch of Muggle science called Quantum Physics, they have an idea bout the stuff that makes up the universe. At its smallest bit, everything is made up of quanta. Quanta is the stuff both energy and solid matter are made of. I think that we magical folks manipulate quanta. That's why we can transfigure things, and how we can call forth the matter of the air to be both solid bits and be a force such as a Bludgeoning spell. Am I being clear?"

Harry looked straight at Hagrid to see if he'd explained it well, so Hagrid responded, "Solid stuff can become energy and energy can become solid 'cause it's all the same little bits down on the 'tomic level. That's about it, Harry?"

"That's it, Hagrid, even below the atomic level. The Thunderfire charm will have to convert quanta into light and then allow the heat to convert out of the light. That action will create a sound that will deafen us if we're not careful, so I'll add in a sound dampener as well before I compact it for repeating. Then I'll release this first bit to explode. Am I being clear?"

No one spoke so Ginny asked, "I see how what you described will create a charm that causes a painfully bright flash of light followed by the heat of that light. I can follow you through your mongering or blacksmithing metaphor, but the only thing I don't see at this simple level is what you add to make the light and heat. You called them elements. Are they actual material elements or is that also a metaphor?"

Harry smiled at her brightly. "Brilliant observation, Gin. I don't mean elements like earth, fire, wind and water, and I don't mean elements like carbon and zinc and hydrogen. Telemachus called them elements. He meant the particles of magic that go together to make a spell or charm or jinx. If you disassemble a sneakoscope, the parts aren't a sneakoscope, but the specific parts are essential for a sneakoscope."

Harry's smile broadened. "Very good, Ginny. Grind wrote that most apprentices can't understand that at first. The brighter ones know they don't understand it, like you did. You'd make a good Spell Monger, I'd wager, but since you see it dimly, you probably have to get a few years older before you can try your hand at it."

When Ginny made a slight pout Harry chuckled and added, "Remember, most don't start until they're thirty, so if you get it in five years time you'll be ahead of the others." He turned to the others. "Any questions you, two?"

Hagrid said, "Wha'ever you say, 'arry. I can understand that you'd need what you said to make a Thunderfire charm, I guess."

"Harry," Remus said. "I can understand the process you've described, but I can't see it, so the picture that replaces a thousand words is lost to me. Perhaps you can make an advanced Charms thesis about this process and receive your Charms Mastery with it. If the same thing works with Transfiguration and Defense spells, you might be able to write your theses for those disciplines as well, in this manner."

Masteries in a given subject in the wizarding world were rare and cherished. After completing a school such as Hogwarts, a witch or wizard seeking a Mastery in a subject would work for another master in that subject in similar fashion to the old apprenticeship programs. Usually the master was an educator or researcher, and the one seeking the Mastery would train with them for several years before researching and writing a Mastery thesis or position paper on a previously unexplored idea or concept within that field.

The thesis was always far and away the most difficult part of a given mastery program and where most unfulfilled hopes of a Mastery lay shattered.

With a thousand students at Hogwarts, there were many more teachers than the few professors that Harry had for his classes. But he knew that Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, Vector, and Snape were Masters in their fields. Professor Dumbledore had Masteries in Transfiguration and Charms. A Healer had to complete the training for a Mastery, but didn't need to write a thesis to practice as a Healer. A Potions Mastery was reported to be the most difficult to attain. Harry couldn't imagine how Spell Mongery could help him in that subject.

Harry said, "I've thought about how Mongering might help me achieve a Mastery or two. I'm glad you think it will work also." He sighed after a moment. "Of course, I have to convince the Ministry not to lock me up for being a Monger, then we'll see about a Mastery. After Riddle also."

They were all quiet with their own thoughts after that statement.

In a few seconds Harry said, "Well, I'm going to try what I said. I'm only working with a small base slug of magic. If I succeed, after compacting the charm I'll cast it out over the pond, trying to hit that platform I conjured. I'll give you a few seconds warning so you can protect your ears and look away. Do it. I understand Osbert Blacwin, the Monger who invented Thunderfire by accident, was blind and deaf for several days when he first stumbled over the charm, and the hearing in his right ear never fully recovered."

Remus conjured and passed around earplugs that would allow conversation in but keep out loud noises.

Harry proceeded with the task as he described it. Ginny watched the building piece of magic, but there was little to actually see, and as each step succeeded, a small flash signaled completion, so she looked at the growing charm then. She spent most of the time watching Harry.

His concentration was total. Determination and power radiated from him. He'd stare, mutter, wave his wand, wave his hand, poke, prod, and jab with both his hand and his wand. He traded hands and used the wand in his left and waved his right hand around for a time. The piece of magic under construction before his eyes remained silvery and sparkling for the most part. A reddish hue, and then a bluish hue appeared and faded from the work in progress. It would flair and then dull from time to time. Toward the end Harry released his wand, which floated by his hand about a foot away. He raised both hands to either side of the magic in progress and acted like he was squeezing it into a smaller shape. Of course his hands never came within six inches of the budding charm.

It was a very long minute later than Harry shouted, "Cover!" He grabbed his wand, which had floated right beside him in easy reach. Then he quickly stuck the wand point in the floating charm and flicked it out and over to the floating platform. Then he covered his eyes partially.

In a second a brilliant flash lit the paddock and pond area. The heat was obvious but not too hot. The roar that followed the explosion was not too deafening, but Ginny was glad that she had stuck her fingers tightly in her ears along side the earplugs. Even with her eyes averted she saw a large light spot in the center of her vision.

The three of them looked to the platform, which wasn't there anymore, and then looked at Harry. He smiled at them as he used one finger to run through his ear like he could open it up more. "I'm glad I had my ears protected. You guys okay?" He said this while walking towards them and wandlessly and wordlessly vanishing the translucent barrier. He touched Ginny's arm and said, "Are you okay, Ginny? Hearing fine?"

After a moment she nodded and said, "That should do for a vampire, don't you think?" They all four chuckled.

What's next, Harry?" Remus asked.

"The compacting process as I described it finalizes what I've done so far, so it's repeatable, but only by me. And it is repeatable at that exact power level with no variance. I have to do five things before I can sell it to others.

"First, I have to insert a formula that allows me to decrease and increase the charm's intensity. The Arithmantic Spell Crafters have an exotic and complex methodology for accomplishing this, but it's too much. I can't access the info on the Thunderlight charm they created to fight vampires, but that alone may be enough to make it ineffective. Oh yes, it temporarily make the vampires look away for a few moments, but it can't kill any of them. Thunderfire is a deterrent weapon. With it in existence the Aurors should never have to use it. The vampires will settle down. The threat of Thunderfire ends Riddle's possible alliance with the covens.

"So, I have to incorporate a power variation element into the charm. Second, I have to add in the casting controls. There needs to be a wand swish or flick, as well as a word or words to say to cast it. I'll probably go with what Blacwin used originally unless I discover a reason not to. I have no problem casting spells without these controls for the most part. I've stripped them out of many common spells. But most people need the wand movements and words to use magic. It's all faith and confidence really, but there you have it.

"Then-"

Hold it, Harry," Remus interrupted. "Are you telling me that a witch or wizard doesn't need the wand movements or the spell words to cast magic, or that you don't need them any more at least?"

"For the most part it's true about all of us, I think," Harry replied. "Not in all cases, but in most spells I've ripped open and examined closely that's true. Let me show you something. This will really rock your cauldron."

Harry flicked out his wand from its holster and concentrated for a moment. He pointed it at a bit of dried grass and said, "Leviosa." The grass caught fire. He then pointed at a small rock and said "Incendio." The rock levitated off of the ground.

He retracted his wand and said, "I'm experimenting on the fact that our words may be completely meaningless in casting spells, at least meaningless to the magic itself. Those words mean something to us, but only to us. This goes beyond wordless magic. Perhaps all magic can be wordless, possibly even wandless, although wands have an entirely different function in helping us concentrate our use of magic than the words do. I've only succeeded in making words meaningless with a few of the very earliest spells discovered by the first wielders of magic in Britain. But I'm getting closer to understanding how to do this with others. Imagine shouting out a shielding spell incantation and having an invisible jelly legs jinx hit your opponent."

Harry spoke about errors he'd perceived in the fundamentals of witches' and wizards' understanding of magic as if he were discussing a badly built children's pull toy. The look on his face clearly showed his delight in tweaking the nose of established thought. He didn't look up to see the awe in the eyes of the other three present.

Lupin shook his head and said, "Amazing, Harry, utterly amazing. So, you compact it, add the power varying capabilities, and design the casting controls for it. Then what?"

"The last step is to package it so others can use it. This part is an experimental process; there's no exact formula, but there are guidelines that eventually get you there. Of course, all of Spell Mongery is an art form really, rough hewn to be sure, but art and science combined to create the beauty of a desert or rugged mountains. Er, Spell Mongery as a process is roughhewn to be sure, but there's nothing that says a spell I monger can't be as elegant as any out there. Mine do tend to be sleek, efficient in the way they use a witch or wizard's magical power. Most of what I've seen, except for the earliest of spells, are a bit overweight - too much overhead, full of runes and arithmantic formulas when they aren't needed. It's like everyone wants to get in on the act when it's unnecessary. And when a rune or a formula is needed, they put way too much into it." Harry sighed. "Oh well, back to what I'm doing.

"So after I develop a packaging for delivery to others, I compact it once more so I can call the charm up over and over with out going through the whole or even partial process again. Of course you compact at every successful step to speed the matter along.

"So I play with it over and over again and test for sale-ability. When it's where I can sell it to someone, I try to do that as a final test. Then I plan to have the witch or wizard who buys it try it a number of times and observe what goes on. That's something new I've devised. Past Mongers have never worried about efficiencies once it works well enough to sell, but I want to create powerful spells that anyone can use over and over again.

"Imagine shield spells that stay in place while you shoot offensive spells through them. Imagine spells that will allow a third-year to fight a Death Eater if he has to."

Harry stopped at this moment and looked out over the pond. He stared that way for several very long moments. Without looking back he said, "I want to find a way to protect them. People are dying out there and the Ministry is covering it up. There aren't that many yet, but a few each week. I hope to stop it, or at least deter it a good bit."

He turned back to his friends with a look of zeal in his eyes. "Magic does a lot, but it can do so much more. Perhaps I can create the spells to defeat the Death Eaters so everyone is protected while I go after Riddle." He looked down after those words.

Ginny stepped up and touched his arm. "I believe you can do it, Harry, but don't kill yourself over it. Don't even lose sleep over it." She smiled and added, "I can imagine Dumbledore saying something like, 'It will all come in due time, Harry,' can't you?"

They all chuckled at that.

Remus left Harry and the others in the paddock, mentioning one more stop he needed to make before Apparating back to London.

~*~

"Remus, welcome back. Lemon drop?" Lupin made his way straight back to the headmaster's office.

Remus took one of the new and improved sweets. Both men's' faces showed their appreciation of this fine version of the classic confection.

"Albus, do you know anything about the process of Spell Mongery?"

The Headmaster looked puzzled at the question and spoke. "I believe it is roughly analogous to blacksmithing or Middle Ages iron mongering, but you know there's nothing written on the process for general consumption. I believe it was secretive among it's practitioners. Why do you ask?"

"It was amazing, Albus. I found Harry down at the paddock with Hagrid and Ginny Weasley. He had prepared the area for safety since he was working on Thunderfire. He had his own protections in place as well as protective barriers for the three of us."

Harry's guardian was most excited about what he had seen, or rather had felt but not seen. "Harry explained that the blacksmith comparison is a metaphor, not an analogy. I had imagined him actually taking a mallet to a spell in some way, but the process is not that similar. But in truth 'metaphorically' blacksmithing or old iron mongering does explain it.

"Anyway, the amazing part is the way he started and how he progressed. Like an ironmonger pulling out a billet of metal, Harry said that he pulls up a 'slug of base magic' he called it. He closed his eyes and after a few moments he pulled up this slug from his inner self. Supposedly it was a small bit, roughly an inch square and sparkling. I couldn't see it, Ginny saw it translucently, and Hagrid had no problem seeing it at all. Harry stated that this was common. Supposedly Telemachus Grind wrote in his journal that the two male founders of Hogwarts couldn't see it either, but the two females could."

Lupin swallowed and thought for a moment before continuing. "It was a presence, Albus. Not evil, not animate, not warm or cold. I knew it was benevolent, and now that I think about it, since it came out of Harry it would have to be good.

"We've all read about a few powerful wizards and witches who could draw raw magic out of themselves and release it, you can do that can't you?" Remus paused and Dumbledore nodded, Then Remus continued, "Well, Harry drew it out and it stayed there. It just floated about two to three feet from his face at his eye level. He said that Thunderfire is a charm, so he described what he had to add to make a charm rather than say a spell or a jinx or curse. He also succinctly described the differences between a transfiguring spell and a conjuration.

"All the while, he's adding the elements or items or properties needed to make Thunderfire. And, he explained simply the process a Monger would go through to develop, modify, vary the strength, stabilize, and eventually package the charm for sale as he called it. He also described the physics of what he does, the understanding of how magic works from his understanding of Muggle sciences.

"I've read about the process the Arithmantic Spell Crafters go through. Albus, this is brilliant in its simplicity, and profound in its effectiveness. We lost so much when Spell Mongering was discredited and this craft of Harry's vanished.

"But I came back up here to talk about Harry himself in all this. Albus, the power it takes to do this, and yet, he only rested for a few second after pulling out his so called slug of base magic. He is truly the most amazing wizard I've seen, including you, and I mean no disrespect. You have to see this. I can understand why we should fear someone with this ability, a Monger should be feared if he or she was evil, but this is Harry. We should make ourselves available to guide and counsel him, but he'll not go Dark.

"The other thing that struck me, Albus, is the ramifications of this for Harry academically. You should see him be a much more powerful Charms and Transfiguration student, although I daresay he'll generate some controversial theories that he will then back up with practical demonstrations. I think he's going to delight in upsetting sacrosanct beliefs as simply as the Marauders pulled pranks around school. Harry's 'pranks' if you can call them that will be in demonstrating magic as we've thought it shouldn't or can't be.

"He'd have failed his O.W.L.s with this approach. If we coach him about it, I'll wager he'll amaze the N.E.W.T.s examiners. And, Albus, if guided properly, he'll gain a Mastery in Charms, Transfiguration, and Defense within a year or two of finishing Hogwarts, if he chooses, and I think he will choose to do so. He seems to have a zeal to promote Spell Mongery for the good of the Wizarding world. If we point him in that direction, I believe we'll be much more amazed at what he accomplishes for all of us than just defeating Voldemort. You really need to make time to see this and discuss his theories. It's amazing, astounding actually."

They chatted a little more. Remus had been standing all of this time, as had the Headmaster. Remus did need to Apparate to London soon. Just as he made to walk out of the office, Remus turned. "I really don't know how Professors Vector and Ogham will take this. Harry's work does nothing to damage the predictive nature of Arithmancy or the historical aspects of Ancient Runes, but he said he doesn't need Arithmantic calculations or runes in his magic nearly as often as their elements appear in spells. He did say he wants to invent something similar to runes to make his conjurations permanent if need be. He also thinks that most of the arithmantic formulas he's examined are overkill.

"If he bypasses those two disciplines to a large extent somehow, the established order for Spell Crafting will not be pleased. We'll have a new branch of the Ministry attacking Harry. Perhaps one or both of these two professors will begin to think poorly of him. Snape has been more than enough for Harry to deal with. At least these two, if they dislike his work, won't be his professors.

"Albus, I'll talk to Lila Vector if you'll speak to Isis Ogham, once you get to know Harry's work better."

~*~

Ron and Hermione walked towards the paddock. Dumbledore had told them they could find Harry there. Just as they went over the rise to see Hagrid's hut and the pond, the saw this amazingly bright light and heard a muffled explosion.

Hermione started to run to the scene. Ron saw the look on her face and grabbed her arm.

"Let. Go. Ron! Harry could be hurt, and-"

"Look Hermione, Harry's safe, and Lupin, Hagrid, and Ginny seem to be congratulating him. It must have worked and they all seem fine. Remember, it takes a bright light to kill or incapacitate vampires. That must have been a small sample."

Ron let go of her arm once she calmed down and stopped tugging.

"Oh, Ron, I can't do it."

"Yes, you can. You're Hermione Granger, brightest witch of our generation. You're quicker than Harry at learning most spells and nearly as powerful. You two are going to change our world. I'm just honored to tag along and carry your book bag."

Hermione grinned, wiping away the few tears she'd shed. "Honestly, Ron, you're much more than that. If... no, when Harry defeats Voldemort, and I still hope Dumbledore stops him first, but when Harry defeats him, it might be because I've discovered something clever, but it will also be because you fought along side Harry and watched his back through thick and thin. He'll have survived because you fought with him regardless of whether I looked up something in the library.

"And besides, when have you ever carried my book bag?"

Ron smiled. "I love you too, Hermione. Now let's go join the celebration. You draw Harry aside, if you can, to talk and I'll give all the time you need. You go right to the point about what Dumbledore said and ask him to be patient with you. ONLY say things complimentary or nothing at all. Ask questions only in a neutral tone. Call me to help if you panic."

"My mum sent me off to Hogwarts with less instructions, Ron." They laughed and trotted down to the paddock.

Hermione beamed her best smile. "That looked like what I've read about Thunderfire, did everything go as planned? Is it ready?"

Ron observed Harry sighed in obvious relief. Ginny looked at her brother and Ron saw the look she gave when they had got away with a prank as children.

"Everything went very well," Harry said. "I need to let it rest for a while. It is set to one-strength only. Later I can forge in the controls to vary the intensity, and then package it for others. I've even improved on what Telemachus Grind wrote in his manual. I've made it much more efficient. It shouldn't now take a very powerful witch or wizard to use it. Though not for third-years, I am pretty sure any Auror should be up to the task."

"That's wonderful, Harry," Hermione exclaimed. "I'm sorry I missed it. I have some time, I'd love to hear about it."

Ron recognized that his two friends were straining to be enthusiastic and chipper. He wanted them to get alone so they could clear the air, but he also feared that the two of them would flare up again.

Looking around, he realized everyone else saw that they were now mere observers to Harry and Hermione's conversation.

Lupin said, "Thanks, Harry for the demonstration. I am proud of you. I look forward to hearing more about this, but I have to Apparate to London soon. Oh, and I'll be sure to be there for your meeting with Dumbledore. See you."

Hagrid said that he had to feed a Jarvey he'd just acquired, and Ginny needed to Floo to help her mum with dinner. Ron suggested Harry and Hermione go sit by the lake while he went to see Hagrid's latest creature.

Harry and Hermione proceeded to, very uncomfortably, do what they had done very comfortably many times before. They went to a quiet place to talk.

~*~

Harry drew his wand and wordlessly conjured two bottles of iced-cold butterbeer. Hermione knew that was beyond even her advanced studying but she bit her tongue before blurting out her typical 'You can't do that, Harry, until seventh year.' Wordless conjuration of that complexity was beyond all but the top five percent of magical folk, if that many.

"Impressive, Harry. You've said that you've read ahead and that's eloquent proof."

Harry smiled a half smile for a moment. She knew she had to get to her problem so he might possibly understand if she blurted out something to irritate him.

Gryffindors forward! "Harry, Ron and I talked to Dumbledore. He believes, and all evidence points to the fact that I spent almost all of the critical hour during Aberration Day worrying about you. I'm emotionally and irrationally stuck here worrying about the smallest thing going wrong and hurting you. It's getting better but slowly. I know I've always been the wet blanket, and I've always been overly concerned about you, but this is far beyond. Please forgive me. I know I'd become a pureblood advocate before you'd go the slightest Dark."

Harry grinned. "It never ceases to amaze me." Hermione developed a puzzled look and he continued, "I can never figure how you can say so many words without stopping to breathe."

She grinned in relief and punched him lightly on the arm. Then she touched him on the arm for fear she'd hurt him. What she found was flesh-covered cast iron, the most perfectly sculpted arm she'd ever felt. She'd been aware of her father's muscles all her life. Ted Granger had always exercised and lifted weights. Hermione had also seen Ron lifting weights in the training room that had been set up for the two of them on the third floor at Grimmauld Place, after they'd joined the Paladin Program. She had to admire Ron's physique, and could do so objectively.

Hermione had lifted weights and exercised as hard as Ron had, just not with as much weight on the equipment as he'd used. She was actually a faster and stronger runner than Ron, and she was demonstrably more agile.

However, Harry was a "machine" she realized. She had always been two inches shorter than him. He was now 5' 9" and she was 5' 7" dead on. She was pleased that she had also filled out in all the ways Lavender and Parvati deemed important. Upon further notice, she saw that Harry was taut all around. His thighs looked powerful in his black utilities modeled after her father's constant wardrobe since the attack. Her non-redheaded friend had muscles showing at his neck and his wrists, and his shoulders were much broader than before. It was obvious even in the open robe he wore with his utilities.

She could see muscles in Harry hands, and for a moment she imagined Harry using those hands to rub her tired shoulders after a vigorous workout with the weights. She shook her head. Now even her fantasies included Paladin Program exercise equipment.

She was relieved to see that Harry had been looking out over the lake during her lapse into Harry gazing, something she'd denounced in the Gryffindor Harry fan-girls.

Harry turned back to her just then. "Ginny told me about this. She'd figured it out too. I should have known that even though you've worried about me, you've never been anywhere near this. I've watched the other Paladin girls rush up and try to snog me in the corridors since that day. I'm just glad you're getting better. I want you comfortable with me."

Harry looked down at his hand for a second and said, "I've missed you, Hermione, er, and Ron too. Usually I don't see you two much during summer holiday, but this year I've been spoiled seeing you regularly. It makes me more homesick, sort of, for seeing you... and Ron every day.

Hermione smiled. Everything was better with Harry nearby. "Tell me about Spell Mongering, please."

She saw the grin Harry had previously only reserved for flying. She decided there and then that Spell Mongering had to be wonderful for it to bring such delight to her friend, who'd known so little joy in his life. If it made Harry this happy, Fudge and the Ministry Spell Crafters could rot in Perdition.

He said, "Mongering is amazing. You'd need to see the actual act to better understand the process, but I think you'll like the theory I've developed behind it."

They'd been leaning against the boulder, but after a while it had become too hard. Harry wordlesslywaved his wand and two cushioned deck chairs appeared. Another wave produced a cooler with more iced butterbeer and a plate of biscuits.

Hermione bit her tongue to keep from asking about his casual use of such advanced magic.

They sat down with their backs to the setting sun so they could see each other. Trees shaded them, but the light often did escape to them through the blowing leaves.

"Very good, Hermione, you resisted asking me about wordless conjuring." She made a face at him and he continued. "I did this not just to poke fun at you, but to demonstrate one of my discoveries.

"Telemachus Grind wrote down his observations about Mongering and how to teach an apprentice. He also recorded all of the thoughts and ideas of other Mongers he'd heard or read about. It's all very practical; no theory.

"Now don't laugh at me, but my reading this summer has opened up a new world for me. I've read six books on pure theory in different types of magic, mostly Charms and Transfiguration, and I've enjoyed it, truly. But here's where I might upset you.

"I think that much of the theory we're taught is wrong, or maybe not exactly wrong, but mostly incomplete. Imagine if we grew up in the clock tower looking at the gears and levers and such. Imagine if we never saw the clock outside, and that we've never been told what all gears are really doing. We've just been trained to fix certain pieces that go wrong.

"Well, you might also imagine that some of us would be better at certain types of repair than others. Some of us, like you, want to know how it all works, and some of us are bored with everything but a certain cog going round and round.

"Now imagine that you could go outside and see the clock working. You could be trained in the concepts of time and history, and how and why keeping time is important. Then imagine you could be trained in all aspects of woodworking and metal repair. Imagine you could become a master craftsman in every conceivable aspect of the clock, and you were so skilled that you could do anything in a fraction of the time of the previous best repairperson of the old system.

"Hermione, you'd be making repairs and also making improvements. Things would work better and faster without damaging time keeping. You'd obsolete some people by making their old part work much better and last longer, and others would become obsolete altogether because of your improvements.

"It's not a great analogy, Hermione, but Mongering is just the better school of clock parts repair. My theories are the means to revolutionize magic. If you think the Arithmantic Spell Crafters were upset with Spell Mongers years ago, you've not seen anything yet."

For just a moment Harry was the delighted little boy she'd seen mount his first broom. Then he got serious. "I know you don't like facts in books turned upside down, but would you like to hear more?"

Hermione nodded.

She didn't know if she would ever be able to tell Harry how she felt about him, romantically. She did not know just what the far-reaching ramifications would be of accepting Harry's offer to explore this ancient branch of magic. Years later, she would admit to him that if she'd known what would come, she might have run screaming from him that day.

On that day, as she reflected on what had happened between them, Hermione came to a sad but joyful realization: She would always completely be his Hermione; but she feared he might never be her Harry.

~*~

Later that night Harry had a great deal of difficulty concentrating in the Occlumency lesson with Father Martin.

"Harry, where's your mind this evening?"

Harry looked up startled. He realized that his instructor had been reliving his swirl of observations about magical theory that he was cataloging for his future discussions with Hermione.

At the time Harry had made his offer to Hermione, Ron had called out that he and she had to leave for Grimmauld Place. Nothing was wrong; they were apparently having special guests that night and the two needed to go to their summer home.

He and Hermione agreed to check in with each other in two days to set a date for their theory discussions.

Father William Martin said "I'd swear, Harry, that you're in love or something, but I've never seen a guy lost in magical theory when thinking about a girl."

Harry dropped his smile, but just for a moment and just a bit. His mentor did not see this he felt sure. "She's my best friend, Father William, not a girlfriend, but she's well past brilliant and she's helped me make every good grade I've received. She's so thirsty for knowledge, and finally I'm going to be able to teach her something other than a Shield spell."

Many students settled on the name 'Father William' as they became friends with the huge priest of the Church of England, instead of the more formal 'Father Martin' or the too informal 'William.'

The priest chuckled. "I heard tell of how you've taught others a great deal more than a Shield spell." Harry smiled his modest smile that had replaced his blush with his newly found maturity. The cleric challenged him, "But stop avoiding the subject, she's more than just a friend."

Harry explained how Hermione had been an integral part of his life since their first day at Hogwarts. He made quite the case for her being the female equivalent to his mate, Ron. The two re-engaged in the Occlumency lesson for the evening. Harry had succeeded in clearing his mind completely of all thoughts except for the memories of a particularly boring Quidditch practice. He'd chosen that practice as his first line defensive memory. He'd learned to clear his mind of anything important, and play that scene for anyone trying to use Legilimency on him. Fr. William had not been able to break through, even when he pressured Harry to the point that they both had headaches.

"Very good, Harry, I really pushed hard. I even bludgeoned you a few times as hard as I could. I got nowhere but where you wanted me. Now we need to get you where you can do that varying from meaningless memory to meaningless memory. It will confuse anyone cautiously trying to enter your mind and they probably won't think you're intentionally blocking you.

"The intentional attackers won't be fooled, but then you won't have to fool them, just thwart them from getting where they want to go. Rotating meaningless memories will lessen your headache a good bit, and make it easier for you to maintain, but the attacker will be just as drained. Once you've mastered that, we can proceed to leading the attacker to false memories and maybe even to places where you can trap them and cause them to endure painful memories without escape."

The priest lowered his head and stared at his hands. Quietly he continued, "You know, Harry, that I disagree with that trapping method. I think it shouldn't be taught. But you have more than a passing vicious lot after you, and I want you to be as well armed as possible. Use it on Voldemort and any Death Eater that tries to enter your mind. You can even use it a little bit on Snape if he attacks you again like he has in the past. But promise me you won't be too rough on him, and promise me you'll never just use that ploy in general if you do master it.

"Legilimency without permission is rude and improper in regular life, but in normal society you don't punch someone in the nose who's been verbally a bit rude or mean to you; but the rules of war are different."

"I promise, Father William. I know how I felt last year. I'll use a measured response with regular folk."

"A measured response. I've not heard that term since my war." The priest shook his head. "You're growing up too fast, son, but, then maybe you've never had a chance to be just a boy in your life. And for that I am heartily sorry."

They were both silent for a few moments. The lesson was over. Father Martin rose to leave, taking several of Dobby's biscuits with him at Harry's insistence. Just before closing the door, he turned and said, "Harry, sleep well. And there's one last thing I want to say about your just-good-friend, Hermione."

"What's that, Father William?"

"It's never a good thing to lie to your priest, Harry."

The priest chuckled as he closed the door.

Harry took an extra twenty minutes more than usual to clear his mind for sleep that night.

~*~*~

The next day, Harry arose very early and made his way to St. Simon's Apparation point. It was a one-way location; no one could Apparate in, but the few who knew about it could leave that way. He Apparated to Grimmauld Place for a knife-fighting lesson with Ted Granger. After that hour, Harry Apparated to the established entry for St. Simons the church - the front door of the church. He made his way through the secure point between the church offices and the sanctuary. He followed his regular routine for exercises and ate breakfast with Dobby.

The happy elf maintained that he could not eat at the same table with his master, so Harry had conjured a special table and chair high enough for Dobby to eat at and for the two of them to see each other for easy conversation.

It was just past eight o'clock when Harry decided to go to Diagon Alley and perhaps even into London for a little clothes shopping. The Alley shops opened at 8:30 as a regular practice, but this time of year shoppers on the Alley were sparse until about 11:00. The next week the traffic at this time of day would begin to increase due to the approaching school year. Harry donned his black robe, a gift from Remus for their trip around Great Britain two days before, and Apparated right outside Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions.

As he walked to the door, a young woman Harry thought to be four or five years older than him rushed up. He held the door for her and she thanked him as she scurried by.

Harry thought she was dressed very stylishly, though he admitted to himself that he knew little about fashions, yet he still like the cut of her clothes. They were similar to Muggle women's clothes he'd seen but with something to their design that definitely said that she was magical. She had a very pleasing round face, smooth, very dark skin, and stood about Harry's height at 5 foot, nine inches tall.

Madam Malkin, the smiling squat witch in her trademark mauve robe "of the finest quality," as she would gladly tell you, stood there herself in the front counter area.

Harry held the door for the young witch and hung back to allow her to be served first. She was not a customer as Madam Malkin's word indicated. "Clarinda, you're late again, and put on a robe immediately. I don't want, that on display in my store." The elder witch turned her head from her employee and placed the smile on her face that spoke of culture and refinements, Harry thought. It made him realize that a game face helps in business.

"Welcome, sir. How may we help you this fine day?"

Harry had the hood of his cloak up and his face was hidden in its shadow. This was not the practice of most shoppers at Diagon Alley, but it was not uncommon, even in the summer. He had not yet been recognized as the Boy-Who-Lived, and this was the general idea.

Madam Malkins had scanned his cloak immediately. The quality of the material and craftsmanship was obvious even to Harry's untrained eyes, so he figured that she'd guessed that the prospect before her was of some means. Without lowering his hood he asked for a private showing room to discuss his 'wardrobe needs.' The word 'wardrobe' indicated a larger rather than smaller purchase. She readily agreed.

Once in the room with the curtains closed Harry cast a Silencing charm and tossed off his hood. Madam Malkin's eyes went wide as she scanned his face and scar. "Of course, Mr. Potter, I see the need for a private wardrobe consultation. How may we help you today? New school robes? Dress robes for any ball or cotillion coming up?"

"I am in the mood for several different items Madam Malkin, and please call me Harry. I do need five new school robes, and two or three better, what I guess might be called business robes, for executives and such. I will also want a dress robe that is classic in cut and fashion, I've finished growing, so I can buy better quality for longer life, if I don't buy anything that will go out of style too soon." He wrinkled his brow as if thinking about it a bit, and then he added, "I also want something done with the school uniforms we wear under our robes, and maybe some casual wear, I just don't know what I need."

Madam Malkin looked at him for several moments before responding. "Let me be frank, Mr. Potter, I want you to look your best and be satisfied. I know many will be looking at your apparel, and I want them to see my label and hear you speak well of my establishment."

She paused for a moment before continuing, "I would gladly consult with you, but I must admit that I have a young lady who will be as able to help you with your needs as I can. I, however, am expecting a major wedding party to be here any minute and I am the expert on weddings here. May I have Clarinda help you? She is very good with young gentlemen's business and formal wear, and she is as experienced as any here regarding school robes and uniforms."

Harry agreed and she called her assistant. "Clarinda, Mr. Potter is one of our discrete clients. You will not speak his name while he is here outside of this Silenced room, nor will you mark his apparel packages with his name." She turned to Harry while consulting a small parchment, which she tapped twice with her wand. "You, sir, are number 476 in our client list. All charges will go to Gringotts and be managed there. We do not have a delivery address on record for you. You may choose to pick up your purchases later or have them delivered in any manner you deem suitable."

She thanked Harry profusely for understanding, and for thinking about Malkin's for his apparel needs. The bell rang at the front door and she scurried out.

"Harry turned to the woman with him and said, "Let's start properly, I'm Harry Potter."

She smiled and said, "You do know, Mr. Potter, you really need no introduction anywhere you go in England. I'm Clarinda Jordan. I was a sixth-year Ravenclaw when you started Hogwarts, and my brother, Lee, has told me a good deal about you and your adventures. I do thank you for teaching Lee the Patronus Charm. I don't know if he'd have survived that dementor attack earlier this summer otherwise."

"Oh! That explains it," Harry said. "I've been thinking you look more familiar to me than just being a few years ahead of me at Hogwarts. How is Lee doing? I haven't seen him in a month and a half, but it seems like ages ago."

They visited for a minute, and then Clarinda began discussing his wardrobe. She asked very intelligent questions about his needs and activities that Harry could easily answer but would have never thought to volunteer.

She helped Harry pick a conservative dress robe that should be a classic fit for years to come, even though she admitted it would not be the latest style for a ball of cotillion this year, if one was to be held at Hogwarts. She helped Harry pick and chose three different business robes in muted black, darkest green, and navy colors. She also fitted him for five Hogwarts robes in his size for his normal use. She showed him the version of school robes made with better fabric and tailoring, and he readily agreed to the increased price. Harry made the same choices for his school uniforms. No more chaffing necks for him during classes.

The problem came when Clarinda tried to help him with casual wear that was not a robe.

"Clarinda, I just don't see anything I like. I guess I'll have to go to Muggle London after this and buy stuff there, although I'd rather patronize Wizarding businesses if I could."

She said she understood and began to gather up his purchases for alterations. Harry had an idea. "Clarinda, I liked your outfit I saw when you came in this morning. Is there a wizard's equivalent to what you were wearing? Where did you buy it? It's quite sharp, I think."

She went to the curtain and saw that Madam Malkin was still very busy with her wedding party. Then she went to a trunk in the corner of the room and pulled out a sketchpad of parchment about twelve inches by fourteen inches. She opened it about half way back and then turned several more pages. She smiled and turned it so Harry could see.

The sketches on the next few pages were brilliant Harry thought. They reflected a mix of Muggle wear and magical styling. Harry knew he wouldn't be able to describe it to anyone, but he knew it was exactly the kind of clothing he'd want to lounge around the common room in on weekends, and go into Hogsmeade wearing.

"This is what I want, Clarinda. Why don't I see this kind of stuff on any of the racks?"

She blushed. "Well, Harry, I designed all of these. I'm not allowed to suggest these unless someone is frustrated with the standard lines we carry. Then I bring these out, and if anyone wants them, I collect sizes and sew it all together. Then I bring them in and Madam Malkin rings them up and gives me fifty percent of the profits. It's slow going, but I have six steady clients now for my work, seven if you buy these. Madam Malkin refuses to carry these types of clothing in stock. She's convinced there's no future in it."

Harry asked, "Why don't you open your own shop?"

"I hope to some day. I'm saving for it, but it's slow going. I don't know how to speed the process."

"Clarinda, If I recommend your work to people and they come in asking for you, will Madam Malkin allow you to show your work right off?"

"I have to show them what's in stock first; then if they still want to see my line I can show them. If you tell others I'd be most grateful."

They finished Harry's fittings and selection and he left, with his hood up to walk the Alley a bit before heading back to St. Simon's. It was just past half nine, and Diagon Alley was still pretty vacant. Harry knew that by half ten, or eleven at the latest, it would be busy enough that he should be gone, but in the mean time, with his face hidden by the hood, he enjoyed both strolling past the shops, and his anonymity.

The street that was Diagon Alley had several gentle turns in it, as well as a major curve just before it ended at The Leaky Cauldron. At one bend he saw the new sign for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. They'd only been open for roughly two months and Harry had never seen the establishment his Triwizard Tournament winnings had helped open. He noticed that the shop had a second hand knick-knack shop on its right, but the smaller shop to it's left was unoccupied.

Harry walked in the twin's door and a siren went off. Confetti littered the entry way and his robes.

"Welcome to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes," declared Lee Jordan, "You are the first customer of the day and we always celebrate our firsts. Any items you wish can be purchased at a thirteen percent discount if you buy it before leaving. What gag do you want us to help you design today, sir?"

Harry pushed back his hood and said, "Save the opening deal for someone who doesn't get the family discount."

"Harry!" Lee seemed genuinely delighted to see him. The boy whom Harry had never seen in anything less than dreadlocks, had a new serious business hair style, even if he was wearing the lurid green smock with flashing 'WWW' across the front and the back.

Lee took several steps towards Harry and grabbed him in a bear hug. "Thank you, Harry. Thank you soooo much. I almost didn't read that letter on casting the Patronus; I'd not come close to casting one in the DA meetings. After reading it I put off practicing what you wrote, but Fred and George demanded that I do so in one of their very rare serious moments. It wasn't two days later that I was at the docks in Liverpool. Well, you saved my life, Harry." Lee hugged him again.

"No, Lee, you saved your life. I just gave you the tools. I wasn't there to perform the charm, you did that, and under the pressure of a dementor or two bearing down on you. Well done, Lee. You should be proud. I know your sister is."

"You've met Clarinda? Where? How?"

"I've just been to Madam Malkin's and she outfitted me with all I'll probably need for some time to come. She's a genius with clothing design. I've ordered several of her own creations." Harry paused thoughtfully and then said, "Is she the reason you always seemed so well dressed when you were out of school togs?"

"Yeah, she's brilliant alright." Lee had a pensive look on his face. "I'm grateful that she waited on you. She's on straight commission at the shop, and Madam Malkin always seems to make sure Clarinda only sees enough customers to get by, not get ahead. And when she sells one of her own creations, Madam Malkin keeps more than Clarinda makes, after Sis pays for the fabrics and such."

Harry asked, "When do Fred and George come by? I believe they're at the Skunkworks a good bit, but I'd like to see them."

"They spend two mornings a week here, the both of them. Then they alternate mornings just one of them at a time, until the girl we've hired comes in at noon. They're both here now; just go through that door. The password is 'Blood Pops.' Yeah, they got the idea from Dumbledore."

Harry expected to see the twins working on some mad idea for prank gear. He expected to see powder of some sort all over the place or hear an explosion. Instead, the two were sitting at a table. One looked to be going through a ledger, and the other was making some list of sorts. They were talking quietly while looking at the list.

Harry greeted them warmly and the two spent several minutes bringing their investor up to date on business and their research activities for both Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and the Order of the Phoenix.

"So what brings you to the Alley, Harry, I don't see any minders. Someone under an Invisibility Clock somewhere?" George asked.

Harry popped up his hood and told them that he was providing his own - security by obscurity. He also told them about the Goblins declaring him eighteen years old and about his newly minted Apparation license.

"I came here today for some better clothes." He said.

"About time, too," Fred said. "Couture Dudley is so way out of style. Who would ever wear vastly oversized pants that ride so far down on their hips?"

"You two wear that puke green and you dare to judge my fashion sense?" They all chuckled. "I'm not here to discuss fashion though. Have you guys met Lee's sister, Clarinda?"

The twins looked at each other and smiled in stereo.

"When we're not selling Wheezes..."

"...we only wear her clothing if at all possible."

"She sells them to us directly through Lee..."

"...we get them at a great discount, and she makes more money."

"Why do you ask?" The two asked the last question in tandem.

"Guys," Harry said. "You've got to stop that for business purposes. It's fine with the younger customers, but not now."

"Right you are partner," George said. "We just do it with our former school mates out of habit. The two smiled.

Harry said, "Partner?"

Fred said, "You own one third and we own the other two thirds. You don't know how far ahead of the pace your investment put us, Harry. Gringotts took us seriously the instant we deposited that sum two Junes ago. We were no longer kids dreaming."

George continued, "Somehow they knew you were our benefactor. When we told them you were a silent partner we believe they actually smiled at us. They made contacts with suppliers for better prices than we'd found, and we had short-term credit before we realized we needed it. We're convinced we owe this treatment to you. Now what's on your business mind today, partner?"

Harry had suspected the twins were a lot smarter than they had always let on. He shook his head and almost blurted out his ideas. "I propose I finance the start up of Clarinda's clothing business. She showed me three or four pages at the back of a full drawing pad of her ideas. I think when the students at Hogwarts see her creations, Clarinda will be a smash hit.

"I'll talk to the Goblins and get the space next door. We advertise for the start of school. I know it's short notice, but I hope she can at least have a number of samples in a few days to take advantage of the students coming in to buy their school needs and then coming by your shop.

"You two help her with the business end of things. I make sure she has the money she needs. Do you know her well? Does she seem to be responsible, or a bit flighty?"

The two looked at each other again. "She has looked out for Lee since their father died after her seventh year. Their mum had died when Lee was five. I think she's trustworthy, and you'll be making her dream come true. I think she'll be careful. I know she'll work hard."

Harry said, "You guys know her better. It was plain to see that this is her dream. If I go ahead and offer this to her, it won't be too much for her, will it? I mean, if we give her the opportunity, and it's crushes her under the burden, then we not only help her fail, but we damage her... I don't know, I guess we damage her spirit."

The twins looked thoughtfully at each other for a long ten seconds. Harry had on more than one occasion wondered if the two had some sort of telepathic connection. Finally George said, "I don't think that will be a problem, but why don't you ask Lee. I'll go outside and mind the shop for a few minutes."

Lee came back and Harry outlined his idea. Lee bubbled over with enthusiasm, but Harry made him slow down and consider the burden it might put on Clarinda.

"Harry, you'd be surprised just how hardworking Clarinda is, even more so than what you saw at Madam Malkin's. I know that she can make a go at it. But to ease your fears, we both understand that it takes hard work and a certain amount of failure to eventually succeed. If this fails, and I doubt that, but if it fails, I know Gladrags has offered Clarinda a similar position to what she has now. It wouldn't be the end of the world. And she and I would pay you back ever last Knut you invest. We saw dad fail at two businesses before his bed and breakfast idea started to prosper. We had to sell it at his death to pay the mortgage, but we made enough from it to make it until I finished Hogwarts. We both know the price you have to pay to succeed in business better than you three do, if you don't mind my saying so. You've never seen business failure."

Lee went back out front and George returned. "Harry," Fred said. "We've wanted to discuss something else with you, our partner. Lee has been an integral part of our success. He's the one who helped set up the business of our business. He manages the books and knows to ask all the questions we never considered, but we would have been bit on the backside if he hadn't tipped us off. We were just here looking at the business records this morning, not keeping the books."

George continued, "We three each own a third of the stock of WWW Enterprises, Ltd. If it's all right with you, we'd like to lay aside five percent of the stock each for future employee incentives. Lee is not the creative genius, but he could go to Zonko's right now and probably double their profitability inside of six months. He's too valuable to lose."

"We think, if it you approve," said Fred, "that we should offer Lee five percent of the shares at the end of the year, if we reach certain revenue and profit goals now through the Christmas season. We'll tell Lee about it now, and tell him the goals. That way he'll know what's to be done to earn the stock."

Harry said, "I like it, guys, but you two are the soul of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Why don't you take the fifteen percent out of my part? I don't feel like I'm earning my way owning equal shares with you two."

Once again the twins looked into each other's eyes and held a brief, silent conference. "We thought you'd say that." George smiled as he continued. "You really don't understand the importance of capital, or the importance of your name with the Goblins at Gringotts and other businesses. We're not fully aware of the importance you hold at the bank, but we are getting an inkling of it.

"We want you equal with us in this. First, you deserve it from an investment capital point of view. Ask the Goblins to further explain that to you. Second, your name with them is important. Third, you brought this Clarinda deal to us, so we'll see more profits in the future. Fourth, if you want to pull your weight around here a bit, why not let us use your name in advertising and your endorsement on a few products?"

Harry frowned at this.

Fred rushed to say, "You'll approve of everything ahead of time. We'll use you only sparingly, for items that might make sense. For example, we're working on a fake Golden Snitch that buzzes around the room. Once someone catches it, their robes turn into team robes for Hogwarts house teams. We're working on a licensing agreement with the professional Quidditch teams for the same rights."

Harry nodded slowly. "I can see endorsing that somehow. Okay, use me sparingly and with permission and we'll see on a case by case basis."

George cleared his throat. "Harry, how do you see the partnership between us three and Clarinda? And, how much gold do you think it will take to launch her business?"

"I thought I'd give her a thousand Galleons like I gave you two, and then we'd go a third for her, you two, and me. Do you need more since there's two of you?"

"Harry, Harry, Harry," said George.

"If you say that celebrity is as celebrity does, I'm going to punch you," Harry quickly interjected. They all chuckled remembering Gilderoy Lockhart, the Defense professor from Harry's second year.

Fred said, "Harry, you have overestimated our part and underestimated your part, and Clarinda's. At the point we were when you invested in us, you probably should have received fifty percent instead of a third." Harry made to protest but Fred held up his hand to stop him. "We were unproven in what was thought a non-existent market. Clarinda wants to tap into a known market, upscale clothing in a necessary but stagnant marketplace. There's been no innovation in Wizarding clothing design in a hundred years or more that we can tell.

"We will at best provide advice and an encouraging ear from time to time. Being right beside her will be a confidence booster, but little more than that. She's the genius and you're the money. If you have it you should set aside ten thousand Galleons for her business expansion. She'll need that thousand for the first two months in advertising. She'll also need another five hundred for fabric, sewing machines, and seamwitchstresses, before she sells anything. If she's lucky she'll get about a third down for anything that's ordered to be made to order. She's an unproven entity. Carrying cost will be steep.

"Harry do you have that kind of ready cash?"

"That's not going to be a problem, guys." Harry pondered this for a minute. "I need to go to Gringotts and see about the property, and then we need to talk to Clarinda and make her an offer."

"Hold on, Harry," George said. "Clarinda needs to own forty percent and you need to own forty percent. We get ten percent, and another ten percent should be set aside for valuable employees like Lee is for us. This is going to be a bigger business than ours is, and the Goblins will appreciate the practicality of this division of ownership, you'll see."

Then George said, "And besides funding her, the best thing you can do to make her a success is to model her menswear for the advertisements."

Harry looked shocked and started to sputter a protest.

Fred laughed. "Look at him, George. He faces dragons, dementors, and the occasional Dark Lord, but he's afraid of a camera." They tutted to themselves grinning. "The new buff Harry is quite a sight to behold. The girls have always found you attractive, even the scrawny Harry right after school starts. Now you're taller, brawny, and you have a confidence about you that the girls are going to swoon over." Harry made a face at this. "Like it or not it's true. And you will help Clarinda's business if you model her men's clothing. 'Tis true regardless of your opinion."

Harry thought that they must be joking, but if he was going to help Clarinda, then he'd help her any way he could. After a moment of silent thought, he shook his head to no one in particular and said, "Well, if I'm going to see Gultangk today, I'd better see if he can make room for me on his calendar."

The twins shared slightly stricken looks. "Harry, you talk to Gultangk?" George asked.

"Yeah, he asked me to call him Gultangk, but if you ever meet him you need to call him Director Gultangk. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but he considers me an affiliate, so he calls me Potter and I can call him Gultangk."

Fred looked at George and this time they spoke out loud, "He doesn't know, does it?"

"Guys! I'm tired of the special Harry, Boy-Who-Lived treatment. If I do something different just leave me ignorant."

The two grinned silently at each other, then developed a serious expression, and nodded together. George said, "Harry will you take us with you? It would not be considered irregular and we promise to be serious and professional."

Fred chipped in, "You won't even recognize us we'll be so straight-laced."

George nodded and continued, "You see, at that level in Gringotts, if we go with you, and the Goblins won't consider it amiss if we do because we will be partners with you in this new adventure, but if we go with you, it will raise our standing in the eyes of the Goblins.

"Being in that meeting and even saying nothing will help us in the future." Fred said. Then he stepped a little closer and said, "We don't want to be just joke shop owners. We have plans, and we see you as a part of that if you'd like. This with Clarinda, it just proves you have good business instincts. It's not just what you know and what you can do, but you have to know the right people, at least a few of them, and like it or not, you know the right people, or Goblins in this case."

George said, "Bill has been coaching us, but he's not been able to get into the parts of Gringotts where the financial decisions are made. He's brought back a load of wealth from Egypt for the bank, and he's tops in security there now. Bill was smart enough to be Head Boy and he didn't want to go into the Ministry.

"Bill wants to go into high finance. That means Gringotts, and that means he'll have to climb higher than any wizard ever has. He's well on his way. We, the three of us, getting into the inner circles for even a few minutes, improve his chances. He improves our chances.

"I hope you don't mind us taking you at your word about being family. We seriously consider you one of us. The Wizarding world revolves around unofficial but very real associations and alliances. The Goblins have their cliques, affiliates, clans, and the like. We wizards haven't codified it like they have, but similar groupings exists, truly.

"You're going to win this war with all our help, then what? You can go into government, teach at Hogwarts, play professional Quidditch - all or none of the above. But with your money and investments, which we don't know much about but have heard a little, you'll be a force in our world. But one person doesn't make a major difference long-term."

Fred took over. "To change our world will take a lot of people in government, education, business, and finance, all working together over decades. If you want the house-elves to be properly looked after, if you want to see werewolves treated properly, and if you want to see this pure-blood drivel driven out of our world, long-term financial pressure needs to come to bear. You can't force people to change, but you can foster the environment where the types of changes you want to see can occur. If you want that then we need to take every opportunity to advance ourselves together. We'll also have to look for possible allies. There aren't enough Weasleys and Potters to affect significant change."

They let Harry ponder this for a minute. He said, "You two threw your O.W.L.s, didn't you? You would have done as poorly on your N.E.W.T.s, too, but you're bloody geniuses aren't you? You're going stealth, under the telescope, and plan to take over the world, don't you, from behind the scenes?"

George grabbed one of Harry's arms, and Fred grabbed the other.

"Who us? We're just two..."

"... lowly joke peddlers trying to make an honest Sickle. Why, we don't..."

"... have any idea why you think we'd want to change the world."

Harry stared at them and grinned almost evilly. "All right you two, but you can't go dressed like that."

They disengaged from Harry and both moved to a cupboard in the office. In seconds they were back with black hooded robes similar to Harry's and almost of equal quality.

Harry asked, "Do you two know about the VIP Apparation Court at Gringotts?"

"We've heard of it, but we haven't been invited there. If you've been invited to enter the bank there, we can go with you as your guests. We know you well enough to follow Apparate right behind you, but if we don't show right away, come back for us."

Harry let the two concentrate on him for about five seconds, then he made his way to the VIP entry room. They arrived with dual cracks about four seconds later.

"Harry, you make just about no noise when you Apparate. We're impressed."

Harry ignored their comment and led them to a waiting Goblin. Their hoods remained up, but Harry pushed his back a bit to address the receptionist. "I'm Harry Potter. Director Gultangk is not expecting me, but I was wonder if he might be able to see me, and my associates this morning.

"Time is money, but we can wait for a short period of time at his convenience, or we can come back later today. Time is money in this case, as I said, so please tell the Director that I wish to use my established preferential rate when he sees us."

While they waited the three stood with their hoods close so they could speak. "You get a preferential rate for his time? Is that some sort of discount?"

"No," Harry said. "I insist that when I use his services I pay a ten percent premium to his normal rate, and he knows I expect him to deliver his very best advice."

George and Fred looked at each other amazed for a moment. Fred said, "That is the most brilliant tactic to use with the Goblins I have ever heard. Harry, we'll pay to get you to help us think of ploys like that. Every other wizard or witch that deals with them tries to pinch Knuts. You treat them like they are valued advisors. Wait until Bill hears, we can tell him, can't we?"

"You guys. Get off it. I can afford it so pay them and I need their good will and their help. Tell Bill what you will."

The goblin receptionist came back and asked them if twelve minutes would be an acceptable wait. He offered tea or coffee, but they declined. Outwardly Harry appeared to be calm, but the twins looked a bit uncomfortable. Inwardly Harry felt a bit nervous about bringing the twins with him, but their recent candor encouraged him that they would act appropriately and in all their best interests in the negotiations with the Goblins.

He turned to them and said quietly, "Guys, I am just now feeling my way through how to work with Goblins. I get the impression that since I am paying for Gultangk's time, I can do as I wish within reason. Bringing my potential partners with me makes sense, so I'll explain it that way first, just to clarify matters. I do ask that you only speak if the Director or I ask you a question, agreed?" When the two nodded he continued, "Oh, and I have been given permission to call him Gultangk. He'll call me Potter. You should only address him as Director Gultangk or Director, clear?" Fred and George agreed without mentioning that Harry had already told them that.

Shortly, in under twelve minutes Harry noted, they were ushered into Gultangk's office.

"Gadobble da' slababol, Gultangk'na" Harry said with a slight, sharp bow. "Flaunka Gobleena du'tow." A profitable day to you, Gultangk. The peace of the warrior to you.

Director Gultangk's eyes went wide for the briefest of moments and then he made the wheezing nasal laughing sound Harry recognized from their previous meeting.

"Gree-Gadobble du'tow, Potter. Trinksta Gobleena draa." Gultangk responded while giving him a similar bow. Equal profits to you, Potter. The rest of a warrior, also.

"Very good, Potter, and I do believe my stake-mate's language pillow book hasn't arrived yet, has it?"

"Not yet." Harry said. "I was afraid to try this smattering of Gobbledegook, I know my pronunciation must be horrible, but please accept this small attempt in the spirit it was given. I believed the phrases booklet I read to be fairly accurate. I was not too familiar or too formal, was I? Please forgive me if I was."

"Potter, your efforts were close." With these words Gultangk smiled that disconcerting grin that Harry recognized as being favorably intended. "There are some words you will never be able to pronounce because your physiology cannot produce them. All reasonable Goblins understand that. Considering you probably have not heard what you said, you were very close. You honor us with your efforts, and your tone and phrasing was appropriate for an affiliate.

"Unless you are the rare, gifted linguist, you will never be able to carry on business in Gobbledegook. We don't expect this, and English is not hard for us. We do appreciate any sincere attempts. Now to business. Time is money, your money in this case."

Harry plunged ahead. "May I present Fred and George Weasley of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. You are aware I am a silent minority partner in their fine business, I believe. We have another opportunity we are considering, and need your advice." Harry turned to the twins. "Gentlemen, Director Gultangk."

Fred and George took a step forward and imitated the sharp bow of the Goblins. George said, "Clear profits to you and your clique, Director. Thank you for your time."

Fred said, "Clear profits to you and your clique. I also thank you."

Gultangk bowed in return and said, "As we sincerely appreciate your brother William's abilities, we even more admire your early success. We are watching you for our delight."

The twins stepped back in unison and turned as one to Harry to continue.

Harry said, "We believe we have identified an opportunity and plan to exploit it. This will require the use of the shop to the left of my partner's present business. The sign states that all rental enquiries come to Gringotts. Are you the one we may discuss this with?"

Gultangk placed his hand on the top of the small gong by his desk and rang it with his other hand. "Potter, the Goblin managing Diagon Alley properties will be with us shortly. His hourly rate is half mine. If you gentlemen do not mind, I would like to continue to consult with you in this. I will cut in half my rate during his presence."

Harry nodded in agreement.

Presently a Goblin appearing significantly older than Gultangk entered the office. He scowled when he saw Harry and the twins. The two Goblins spoke in Gobbledegook for several moments. The word 'Potter' was clearly enunciated several times, and the new Goblin changed his expression to a more congenial one.

"Potter, Misters Weasley, this is Manager Dolderap, he handles the property in question. Since you have expressed interest in knowing our ways, you do not need to greet him since you have already greeted me. And you, Potter, as my affiliate, do not need to use his title. Please repeat your question?"

"Dolderap, I acknowledge all Goblins who work for Gringotts. I am interesting in the property next to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes that is for rent. What is its rate? How long would be a typical lease? How long has it been empty?"

"It has been empty for forty-two months. It is listed for two hundred Galleons a month, and requires the standard five year lease."

Harry thought for a moment. "We have identified an opportunity that will need such space. We do believe it will be successful, but cannot guarantee it. I'll offer the going rate immediately for the full month of August, and commit to six months with two months rent up front. We will revisit this at the end of the six months and commit to a long-term lease if our assumptions are correct. I do not want to be saddled with the five-year commitment if unnecessary. Do you think the owner will agree to those terms?"

Dolderap smiled. "I can assure you he will accept. You, Mr. Potter, own it, and the two shops on either side of it."

At that moment Harry realized the twins could truly manage themselves in any company if they so chose. Neither made the slightest wisecrack about their landlord.

Harry blushed slightly. "Thank you, Dolderap. I will send word within the next two days if we decide to go ahead with our plans."

The property manager left, but only after a sharp few words from Gultangk in their language. The director said to Harry, "Potter, you evidently have not reviewed all the documents on your holdings in the brief case we gave you. Do not feel embarrassed, Dolderap understands that if he repeats this, he insults one of my affiliates. I have reprimanded him for his rudeness to you. Since it was his words in Gobbeldegook that insulted you, I doubt you knew it, but I will not tolerate this. My apologies." Harry accepted these words and thanked him for looking out for his interests.

Gultangk said, "Now, we may conclude here if you wish. Or, you may inform me of your plans in confidentiality. I might be able to further advise you towards success."

Harry looked to the twins, who nodded vigorously, so Harry continued, "We believe those our age, Hogwarts students and witches and wizards up to the age of thirty, perhaps, would appreciate fresh new designs in their casual wear. If we aren't wearing robes, many of us wear Muggle clothing. We know of an ambitious and talented young designer who is stuck as little more than a seamstress and sale clerk at Madam Malkin's. She desires to have her own shop one day. We think she could be a sweeping success in that industry like my partners here are in theirs.

"The ideal way to succeed is to be open for business before the back to Hogwarts rush that will begin any day now. By having a location next to Weasley's, only a sign will be needed to attract customers coming to my partner's shop.

"We've not approached her, but we and her brother believe she will jump at the chance."

The Director said, "We know nothing about wizarding fashion sensibilities, but the business idea seems to have merit. Such stagnated industries can either remain unchanged, or they could undergo a profitable renaissance. Usually no change after an extended period of time indicates opportunity, particularly in consumer items.

"My congratulations, Potter, you've not only uncovered a market opportunity of potential, but you've designed a low cost method to test your theories. I delight in calling you an affiliate. Gentlemen, may we offer any Gringotts Services in this endeavor?"

Harry looked to the twins. George silently pointed to himself and Harry nodded.

"Director, please forgive our ignorance, but we do not know which services are available, and, forgive me again, we are under the impression that Goblin services are very expensive for new businesses. I mean no insult and apologize if I have done so." George's tone was most sincere.

Gultangk snorted, looked away, took a deep breath, and spoke. "You are products of your environment, but you speak well.

"The most common service Gringotts offers is accounting and bookkeeping. We are more expensive than doing it yourself, after business hours. However, if you value your time more, we are cost competitive to any accounting firm. We actually outsource our services to major Muggle accounting firms who know of us.

"The idea that we are too expensive is one of the many myths about Goblins Wizardkind has fabricated and perpetuates. Many speak of our devious business practices, but the Ministry of Magic has not found fault with us in any complaint in over one hundred and twenty-seven years now.

"In addition to accounting, we consult on business practices and manufacturing processes. We have a consultant located in our Dublin office who specializes in retail operations. If you write up a business plan he will offer you one hour free consulting about improving your plan. This offer is made in hopes of receiving a contract for further consulting. All our consulting proposals pay for themselves in cost reductions, increased revenue, risk reduction, or a combination of the above.

"Time is money in the most strict sense in this opportunity. You will not have time to design such a plan and take advantage of the opportunity before September first. However, please draw up this plan afterwards and allow us to make a proposal.

"Potter, Misters Weasley, may Gringotts or I be of any further service to you today?"

~*~

The three left with the usual farewells. They returned to the shop to find Clarinda Jordan crying on her brother's shoulder.

George took the counter so Lee could take his sister in the back. Harry and Fred joined them, after Harry chatted quietly for a moment with George and he nodded in agreement. Harry had a similar momentary discussion with Fred before the two turned to hear of Clarinda's woes.

"I thought Madam Malkin would be pleased," she cried. "Harry, you purchased a great deal of her standard lines, but I thought she'd also appreciate that you ordered four outfits of my designs. After all, she makes more on them than I do." Clarinda sniffed.

"But no! She fired me. I, I don't know what I'm going to do. I turned down Gladrags offer last week and I know they made another offer to some other girl. They said they would." She pulled out a handkerchief and blew her nose quietly. By this time Clarinda was sitting on a small sofa off to the corner in the back. George pulled a chair from a table and Harry Accio'ed over a chair from the other side of the room.

When she finished with her nose and looked up, Harry activated his wand from its holster and wordlessly conjured a tea set and cups and saucers. The water was steaming and the cups, saucers, honey pot, sugar bowl, and cream pitcher were all of a simple but elegant pattern. The spoons appeared to be stainless. It was very similar to the set used at St. Simons. Though this level of conjuration was not unheard of, it was fairly advanced, particularly for a rising sixth-year at Hogwarts. That Harry did it wordlessly made it rarer still. Clarinda's attention was temporarily drawn from her problems. Harry held up his wrist and his wand snapped back in place. The careless ease in this simple performance was obvious to the three people with him.

"Clarinda," Harry began. "I assume my purchases, other than those of your designs are already in the system and I can't rightly cancel them?"

"They should be ready for you to pick up an hour from now."

"Fair enough." Harry paused. He started, "How soon could you get at least a dozen of what you consider to be your most popular designs made to display? You'd have to assemble the whole look and feel, purchase the shoes, belts, hats, everything for someone to look at on mannequins just like you've drawn in your sketchpad."

Clarinda scrunched her nose for a bit and sniffed once more, "Well, I could have everything ready in eight to ten days, less if I get little sleep, but you'd have to give me an advance on the purchase. I can't afford that much fabric all up front, now that I'm.... But I don't want you to increase your order just because-"

Harry interrupted her. "This isn't charity. What if you needed them much sooner, much sooner than you could sew them yourself. Do you know seamwitchstresses who could help you in a rush?"

Clarinda became engaged in a technical discussion of her craft. Her eyes dried and her nose became less red. "I know of three trustworthy women who are now home with small children and could devote a large part of their day to sewing. That would cut the time in half, maybe a little less. And they may know of others. But, why...?"

"Let me make a proposal, Clarinda. You may not be aware of it, but I gave Fred and George the money they needed to get started. I will let the shop next door for six months, through the Christmas holidays. I'll fund all of your needs for fabric, equipment, signs, etc. We'll hire a decorator for the shop so you can spend your time being creative. You'll draw a salary equal to the best month you've had at Malkin's so you don't have to worry about food, rent, and such.

"As soon as possible I want the doors open and you taking orders for your designs. At first you'll be showing people your sketches as you ramp up. You'll take a twenty-five percent down payment with each order. As soon as possible I want your designs, complete with belts, hats and such on display around the shop.

"I want you to sell to the Hogwarts student through witches and wizards in their early thirties, starting with the back-to-school crowd you'll see here more and more each day. They'll be coming to Weasleys' here, and you'll be right beside them.

"As soon as you have a collection to show, we'll advertise in Witch Weekly and Teen Witch Weekly, if we can arrange it, and never underestimate what Galleons can arrange."

"Why...," Clarinda gulped and continued. "Why would you do...? I don't mean to be ungrateful but--"

Harry held up his hand. "Let me finish please." He smiled at her. "This is a business arrangement. After September first you'll write a plan to expand in any way and every way you can think of, or we can think of. You'll prepare to blow out sales at Christmas time. After the first of the year, if you succeed, and we want you to be a smashing success, but after the first of the year we will incorporate. You'll own forty percent, I'll own forty percent for funding all of this, and the twins will own ten percent to stand by you here in the two shops and hold your hand through any difficulties. We'll hold out ten percent of the shares to reward possible brilliant employees in the future to tie their brilliance to the company.

"You maintain all creative control because I know rubbish about good design. We all agree together about business decisions and seek good counsel on any subject.

"I'll arrange for the Gringotts Goblins to manage the bookkeeping, though I want you to know exactly what's going on, and you need to keep Fred, George, and me informed.

"We think you're about to set the Wizarding fashion world on its ear and become famous like some of the big Muggle designers. As a matter of fact, I don't mind if you design for Muggles as well, once we become profitable and stable. I want you to follow your dream and make yourself, the twins, and of course, me, very, very rich." Harry paused. He had little else to say that he could think of. Clarinda seemed to be in a daze, but it was short lived. She burst out into a huge grin and jumped into Harry's arms, planting a kiss on his cheek. "I hope you get bloody wealthy from this, since we'll own equal shares."

She hopped out of his arms and Harry blushed profusely. "Thank you, Harry. She gave Fred a hug and thanked him too. "I'll hug George in a minute," she said while warmly embracing her brother.

Harry and Clarinda Apparated to the same VIP concourse at Gringotts, waiting only ten minutes for Gultangk this time. They agreed to have the Gringotts legal department draw up a simple contract between them for expediency's sake, but the Director encouraged Harry to seek his own business lawyer for such future work.

"Gultangk, I've popped in on you twice today, and I feel this has been rude of me, to at least some degree. I may have broken a number of Goblin protocols doing this for all I know."

"Potter, you've been fortunate in that you asked for me at times when I could easily rearrange my affairs. If this were the three o'clock hour today instead of the eleven o'clock hour, I would have been unavailable for the rest of the day. Otherwise, a client wanting to pay your rates is always welcome." Gultangk smiled the grin Harry was beginning to like. He smiled in return.

Harry said, "In the future, may I send my house-elf to inquire about your availability? I could use him to pass messages, or if it doesn't bother you like it might many wizards or witches, Dobby could tell you my wishes. He's very bright and understands my needs and wants quite well. Would this be acceptable?"

"No wizard has ever asked this of us. We find the idea of having our own house-elves repugnant. But we appreciate that a proper familial relationship can exist between wizard and elf. It used to be more so, but much has fallen in the last centuries.

"We have elf-proof wards for much of Gringotts. In 1747 an unscrupulous master had his elf Apparate into a vault to steal its content. It was a blood-sealed vault and the elf died a painful death, hence the wards. We can walk out to the VIP Concourse and you can go get your elf and bring him there. I will sign him into our records and leave instructions for his treatment."

They chatted convivially on the way to the concourse. Clarinda seemed shocked into silence as Harry spoke with Gultangk in such a friendly manner.

In the concourse Harry drew a square in the air and called Dobby.

Snap! "Yes sir, Harry Potter SIR. Sir called Dobby?"

"Yes, Dobby. Director Gultangk wants to sign you into their records so you can bring messages here for me. You will call him Director as is his due. He shows me great honor in my treatment and those of my house must do the same towards him."

Dobby bowed deeply. "Gadobble da' slababol, Merkter Gultangk." A profitable day to you, Director Gultangk. "Great honor to any who honors the great wizard, Harry Potter SIR."

Gultangk was obviously startled by a house-elf speaking Gobbledegook. Harry grinned sheepishly and said, "Who do you think I practiced my greetings with?"

Harry and Clarinda Apparated back to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. They had the key to the shop next door and walked over there. Clarinda held several commercial drafts to use for purchasing fabric and to open other commercial accounts. Harry asked Dobby to tag along.

Harry asked, "Do you know a decorator who can do shop design?"

Clarinda said, "A classmate has started her own interior design business. She does houses mostly, but started with a commercial decorator firm."

Dobby was dancing from foot to foot and Harry couldn't help noticing. "Dobby, do you want to help clean here?"

"If Harry Potter SIR wishes, but Dobby must care for Harry Potter SIR. Dobby can't do all that he wishes to." For a moment Dobby looked most contrite since he could not serve his master fully, then his eyes widened even more, if that was possible for a house-elf.

"You have an idea, Dobby?"

"Harry Potter SIR. Winky is most unhappy. Winky is jealous that Dobby has the great Harry Potter SIR as a master, even though Dobby is never to call the great Harry Potter SIR, master. Dobby was thinking Winky could bond with Harry Potter SIR and serve Sir here with Miss C'linda."

"Wouldn't it be better to have Winky bond with Clarinda?" Dobby pulled on his ears. "What's wrong, Dobby, and don't pull your ears like that. You've done nothing to be punished and I don't hold with punishment, as I've told you."

Harry knelt before Dobby. Fred, George, and Clarinda looked amazed. Harry said, "Dobby, you are bonded to me, but you are first and foremost my friend. I value your ideas, even if I don't adopt them. What do you think I should do and why?"

Dobby looked down for a bit but raised his head to look Harry in the eyes like his master/friend had told him to do. "If Harry Potter SIR were to bond with Winky, and if Harry Potter SIR were to assign Winky to work with Miss C'linda, Winky could work for Miss C'linda and then..." Dobby looked around and turned a shade of green that Harry thought might be a blush for a house-elf. Dobby leaned forward and whispered in Harry's ear. Harry nodded and Dobby popped off.

"Dobby's sweet on Winky," Harry said to the three when he rose. "You're okay with Winky being mine and helping you during the day? I am very particular about how my friends are treated, and now that you're one of my friends, I want you well treated also, but I am very protective of Dobby and Winky. I care for them, and it keeps Hermione happy."

A double snap sound occurred and Harry had a female house-elf glued to his left leg, crying with joy. He said to Clarinda, "Fred and George will explain it to you later." He pulled Winky off of his leg and knelt before her.

"Winky, do you want to be my house-elf? Has Dobby told you of my rules for him? Can you live with them?"

"Winky would be the most faithful and hard working of elves, Harry Potter SIR."

Harry sighed. He would never escape that title now. "Winky, you need to go to Professor Dumbledore and ask to resign. He'll probably say yes, but give him the choice. Then come back and we'll make it official."

The two elves left in a snap.

Harry said to Clarinda, "I want my elves well treated. I cannot imagine you'd be cruel, but they are never to punish themselves. They don't need to be taught a lesson by harming them. They want to serve well, but like all of us they sometimes make mistakes. Correct her of course, and please protect her from others. Threaten anyone with me if they are mean to Winky.

"You'll also find house-elves are smarter than most wizards and witches think. Dobby has great ideas, and Winky made this rig of mine." Harry opened his robe to reveal the black sleeveless utilities. "It's not much to look at, but it's designed to be useful to me in a fight. I've charmed it a number of special ways."

Dobby and Winky snapped back to the dusty shop and told Harry that Dumbledore released her with his blessings and congratulations.

Harry knelt once more. "Winky, I, Harry Potter, take you into to my house and my protection. You are mine and I am yours."

"Winky is Harry Potter SIR's, and Harry Potter SIR is Winky's." The little elf leapt forward and hugged him.

Harry stood and said, "Winky, this is Miss Clarinda. Your daily duty until I instruct you otherwise is to help her clean and then help her manage this shop. I don't know what all can be done, but she will tell you. If you see any way you can help that you have not been instructed to do, you can politely ask Miss Clarinda without interrupting her. She understands how I treat Dobby, and will abide by that.

"She may in the future ask you to wear a uniform to work here in the shop, but it will not be giving you clothes, it will be her wanting you properly dressed to serve her better.

"You may also ask any question of her or me to better understand how to complete your assigned tasks. Miss Clarinda will be working hard. If she forgets to eat, please bring her food. If she gets too little sleep, please politely remind her that her partners want her healthy. Understood?"

Winky nodded so hard Harry feared her head might fall off. She and Dobby went right to work. A dust cloud formed quickly. Harry and Clarinda moved to the front of the shop.

"I hope you don't mind that last instruction for Winky. I have a feeling you might be one to work to exhaustion, correct?"

She blushed. "My N.E.W.T.s year I lost fifteen pounds and nearly fainted before the Potions practical. I'm better about it now, but you're right. I'll kill myself trying to succeed."

Clarinda thanked Harry profusely and he instructed her to use Winky to contact him whenever she needed him. He also told her about his security issues and encouraged her to initially not mention his name except at Gringotts, for her own safety.

At that moment Fawkes flared into the shop and landed on Harry's shoulder. Clarinda let out a short scream.

"I'm sorry, Clarinda, but you'll have to get used to such things if you spend time with me. I'm sure I'll regret this, but get your brother and the twins to tell you the real Harry Potter stories. If that doesn't scare you out of our partnership, nothing will."

While he said this, he unhooked the note from Fawkes' claw. He read the short missive and called Dobby. "Yes sir, Harry Potter SIR," Dobby answered.

"We must leave now. Please go to our source for Muggle candies and ask for something hot, lots of cinnamon or something else they suggest. Fawkes will take me to Dumbledore's office. Try to arrive as soon as you can, but no sooner than five minutes from now, or as soon after that as possible.

Dobby Apparated away and Harry apologized to Clarinda for leaving so abruptly. Fawkes flashed him to Hogwarts.

~*~

"Harry. Thank you for coming." Harry thought Dumbledore seemed happy to see him, but cautious. "I had hoped to discuss your concerns regarding Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy the next time we met. This hangs between us, and I promise I am working on it to your satisfaction, I hope. It will require some compromise but I am confident your case will dominate negotiations."

Dumbledore placed his face in his hands. Harry had never seen him quite like this.

"Harry, I hate sounding cryptic. You mean a great deal to me, and I will not disappoint you. I will make things right and I will be more in partnership with you soon. I am not ready to tell you of my actions yet... but something most urgent has come up. Time solves so many things, and I am sad that you would be more willing to help if we had resolved some of your justifiable issues. I will have your concerns worked out by then I am almost positive. But this has come up, and we must talk to you. Lives are at stake-"

Harry held up his hand. He finally figured out that something else brought him to Dumbledore this afternoon, and the Headmaster felt bad that he did not have answers yet to Harry's concerns.

"Professor, I consider us allies and I am serious about an appropriate friendship for our positions in life. In the midst of our discussions, which I do not consider disagreements, we can stop to fight a common enemy, or face together whatever needs to be handled. I am at you service in any way possible."

A profound look of gratitude appeared on Dumbledore's face. "Thank you Harry. I am proud to call you a friend and I want to take the time very soon to work on that friendship.

"Any minute Madam Bones and-"

A face in the Floo interrupted him. It was Madam Amelia Bones. "Albus, is he here? Can we come through?"

"Yes, Amelia, please come ahead."

Amelia Bones emerged from the flashing green fire and quickly dusted herself. She greeted Harry cordially if a bit stiffly, which Harry attributed to the other guest. She turned to introduce Harry, "Carver, this is Harry Potter, who I am sure you have heard of. Harry, this is Ambassador Carver Glean. He works for the Ministry in the Foreign Diplomatic Service."

Harry held out his hand and said, "A pleasure to meet you, sir."

Glean looked at his hand like it might be infectious, and did not take it. Harry looked at Dumbledore, but it was Madam Bones who spoke. The professor simple twinkled at Harry.

"Carver, you're supposed to be a diplomat!" The quiet roar of the lady present made Harry blanch. Glean blinked and took a half step back. She continued, "You shake hands with Vampires, Dark wizards, and other disreputable heads of state. You will take Potter's proffered hand or I will tell the Wizengamot that you have no interest in solving our little international crisis!"

"It's alright-" Harry began, but was cut off.

"No, Mr. Potter, it's not alright for Carver to act that way. We are here to ask for your help in a most serious matter. He's failed in his diplomatic efforts to secure the Vampires' neutrality in this burgeoning war with You-Know-Who, and you are probably our last hope. You are not here to meet Carver, but rather he is here to meet you. And it scorches the robes off of his backside to have to ask for your help. He'd rather we fight the Vampires along with the Death Eaters than ask you.

"He's an old Hogwarts dorm mate of our Cornelius Fudge, but the Diplomatic Service answers to the Wizengamot, not the Minister." Turning to the Ambassador she said, "Once again, Carver this is Harry Potter."

Glean put on what would easily pass for a sincere smile. Harry would have considered his tone of voice most sincere if the previous moments had not transpired. "A pleasure to meet you young man. I hear great things about you, but then what else could we hope for from the Boy-Who-Lived." He finished his act and shaking Harry's hand, and turned back to Bones reacquiring his previous sour face.

Harry's eyebrow bunched in towards the center, he immediately decided he did not like the 'kinder' Glean. Harry spoke, "Please, Ambassador, continue to show and express your true feelings. I prefer honest politicians, but they are so rare these days."

Glean started to sputter. Clearly Harry's words were not expected.

Amelia Bones laughed heartily, and cut off Glean's approaching tirade. "Mr. Potter, thank you for agreeing still to see us."

"Please call me Harry."

Glean spoke up, "Well, Harry, we're here-"

"Ambassador Glean, that instruction was for Madam Bones," Harry interrupted, "I have spent most of the day in business negotiations with the Goblins of Gringotts. My affiliate there, Director Gultangk, treated me with far more courtesy and respect than I suspect you could ever muster on your very best day. Only my friends may call me, Harry. I would like to have had you as a friend, but you've made that impossible for now. Please go on, since I am sure my business here today is with you, or at least with the Ministry represented by you."

The Ambassador's eyes went wide. Bones looked at Dumbledore. Both looked surprised at Harry's revelation of his day and his confidence. The headmaster twinkled back to her.

At that time, Dobby snapped into the office. "Harry Potter SIR. The treats you requested. The candies are called 'Atomic Fireballs.'" Harry thought about the perfect timing his house-elf had.

Before Glean could verbally assault the elf for interrupting him, Harry said, "Thank you, Dobby, you serve me so well, my friend." Harry had had one of the fiery confections before, from Dean Thomas. They weren't too hot for his tastes, but many wizards and witches in Gryffindor had not liked them.

"Headmaster? Madam Bones? They are hot, I warn you," Harry offered the sweets all around. "Ambassador." The first two had taken the treat, and Glean did so to get on with his explanations.

"Well, er, Mr. Potter, we uh... as Madame Bones indicated, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has approached the Vlad Coven of Vampires in Transylvania. They are the largest and oldest coven, and usually negotiate with Wizarding governments for all the covens in Europe. We've been aiding the Ministries of Magic of the primary countries active in holding the Vampires in check - Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Albania, Serbia, and the Ukraine - but two days ago, Death Eaters, believe it or not, blew up the headquarters of the law enforcement organization in each of those countries, all on one night. They apparently used Muggle explosives in each case. AH!"

Glean spit out the candy. "Blazes those are hot!" Harry wandlessly and wordlessly conjured Glean a glass of ice water.

Harry looked at Dumbledore while the ambassador drank, and the headmaster mouthed to him silently, "Show off." Amelia Bones actually giggled.

Glean said, "Uh! Where was I? Oh, because it was at night, the number of deaths and injuries were lower than they might have been during the day, but there were serious casualties just the same. In all of those countries except Bulgaria, the headquarters were in separate facilities away from the rest of the Ministries of Magic, or whatever they call them. In Bulgaria, half of all their governmental offices were destroyed.

"And that tragedy might have saved us from immediate war with the vampires. The Bulgarians have, or had the best relationship with the vampires of any government, if you can call it good. Count PavelKldonovitch, who heads the Vlad Coven is, or was a longtime friend of the Bulgarian Minister of Magic. I believe you've meet him, Mr. Potter, at the Quidditch World Cup two years ago." Harry nodded.

"Minister Boris Oblansk was working late to try to make his old friend, Kldonovitch, an acceptable offer to maintain neutrality. Kldonovitch is at a difficult impasse in his coven and with the other covens he represents. This is the best opportunity the vampires have had in a number of years to breakout and become more 'active' shall we say. The young turks in his coven, and a few others are pushing for joining Lord Thingy, but Kldonovitch and the older, cooler heads resist.

"I fear that had not Minister Oblansk been killed, Kldonovitch would have agreed to fight. It is too good an opportunity for them, but Oblansk's son, Petrov, has, in his father's memory, secured an agreement with Kldonovitch to allow us to make one last offer to the vampires in two days time.

"The thing is, we have nothing they really want. The forces holding them at bay so our armistice works, have been seriously depleted. It is a time for desperate actions, which brings us to you, Mr. Potter."

Harry said with a wry grin, "You want Thunderfire, don't you?"

All three there in the office seemed surprised at his question, although Dumbledore recovered the quickest. He said, "Can you develop or rediscover Thunderfire, Harry, in such a short time frame?"

"Yes, Professor, I not only know about Thunderfire, I can cast it," said Harry. He drew his wand and pointed it at his left hand.

"NO!" All three shouted at Harry at once.

"Harry, won't it blind us?" said Madam Bones. Dumbledore lowered his wand, and Ambassador Glean was edging towards the door with his hands over his eyes.

Harry was perturbed. "Professor, I have told you that Spell Mongery, the practice of Mongering spells, and the actual bits of magic mongered is completely misunderstood. My reading has told me all about Thunderfire and how to monger my own Thunderfire Charm. I've refined the charm with my mongering. Now I can vary it quite a bit. Please trust me, all three of you. I have no plans to blow up you or myself."

Harry raised his left hand and held his thumb and index finger about an inch apart. He raised his wand and waved it over his fingers three complete rotations and said, "Atonto Nitor!"

In about a second an intensely bright pinpoint of light appeared between his fingers. In another second it grew to the size of a Knut and stopped growing or getting any brighter.

Harry said, "Now, I want you to watch my hand, but don't look up into the ceiling. Keep looking at my hand until I say otherwise." He then made the same motion one would if they wanted to toss a coin about fifteen feet up into the air, Doing this he released the bit of Thunderfire and when it reached its zenith, about three feet from the ceiling, it flared brightly to fill the room with brilliance, and made the sound of a small Weasley's Wizard Wheezes firecracker.

"Argggh! I'm blind!" Of course Glean had disregarded Harry's cautions and had followed the bit of Thunderfire on its journey upward with his eyes.

"You're not blind, Ambassador," Harry said with noticed derision in his voice. "You will find that I don't just say things to hear myself speak. Close your eyes tightly for about ten seconds; you'll still be seeing bits of light, but that will clear up in a minute or less."

Dumbledore asked, "Harry, you'll be able to provide the Ambassador with Thunderfire in a bell jar for the negotiations?"

"I'll have to sell it to him, Professor. I am a Spell Monger after all."

Glean began to mutter so all could hear, "Ungrateful whelp. The government protects him and educates him; looks out for his interests..."

"Ambassador!" Harry's voice commanded the wizard he addressed to look at him. The thin, older man quivered. The young man said, "I had planned on selling Thunderfire to the Ministry for a Galleon. But, Hogwarts and the Professor and his staff have educated me. I've paid my tuitions; no government dole. The only educator provided by the Ministry, Dolores Umbridge illegally used a Blood Quill on me." He held up the back of his hand for the man to see. "The Order has protected me. The only Aurors near me in my summer home attacked me earlier." When Glean snorted his disbelief Harry said, "I'll share my fights with Dawlish and Williamson in a Pensieve if you choose, but you'll also have to watch me fight several dozen Death Eaters seconds after I dispatch the two Aurors who regularly protect Minister Fudge."

Madame Bones could be heard to whisper to Dumbledore, "I'd love to see that."

"It was truly amazing, Amelia," Dumbledore responded.

Harry did not react like he had heard the comments beside him. He had Carver Glean trapped with his stare, and the older wizard was obviously most uncomfortable. "And as for my best interest," Harry continued, "did the Ministry look after my best interests last year when your Minister called me a crazy person for months and months? Or was he acting in my best interest earlier this summer when he tried to take credit for my friends driving off dementors using the Patronus Charm I taught them? Perhaps your government looked out for me when Minister Fudge tried to have me arrested for killing eight Death Eaters in self-defense?"

With that last Ambassador Glean stepped back and fell into the chair he'd been sitting in. He stared unblinking at Harry in horror, his mouth agape, and jaw moving, but saying nothing.

Harry took a deep breath to still his racing heart. He ran his hand over his face and looked to the silent Bones and Dumbledore. He turned back to Glean and said very quietly, "Ambassador, as soon as you return with eleven thousand and one Galleons, I will provide you with a sufficiently potent Thunderfire in a jar to give to Constantine Kldonovitch as a gift of Unfailing Light. Why they cherish a trinket that could crack open and kill them if they're not careful I'll never understand, but you can give it to him with the new Spell Monger's compliments. Please tell him I will send a similar jar to the heads of any other covens that want one.

"Also give my offer of friendship. I do not think of myself so highly as to think they want to be my friend. But it was the tradition of Spell Mongers to offer their friendship with the Unfailing Light, the Thunderfire in a jar. Some vampires you meet with may have been alive back then, and will remember this as an offer and a threat. Telemachus Grind wrote that they respond well to that for reasons I cannot fathom. "Please also tell the governments of those six countries that I will sell the Thunderfire charm to all their law officers they send me. I will train them in its uses and my modifications, for twenty Galleons a head - working around my summer and class schedules. I haven't decided how much I will charge our Aurors for the charm and training. We'll just have to see if our Minister of Magic continues to be as kind to me as he has been in the past. You, sir, have been a typical disagreeable bureaucrat, and you make me want to help the Fudge administration even less than before.

"Now, Ambassador, I suggest you go and bring back my eleven thousand and one Galleons, in bags or a Gringotts Master Draft. I don't accept the Ministry's cheques. Hurry, Ambassador, you have a negotiation to attend."

Without saying a word Glean staggered once on the way to the Floo fireplace, threw in the powder, and made his way to the Ministry.

Harry whirled to the Headmaster and his other guest. "Madame Bones, could you please make arrangements for me to go to these negotiations if Fudge refuses. I'll not let my anger with that... little man stop those poor people in Eastern Europe from having their peace with the vampires. I'll go and face Kldonovitch myself if need be, if that's alright with you, Professor."

Dumbledore said, "I'm not happy with your safety in that at all, Harry. But you can sell it to me, I have eleven thousand and one Galleons, and I'll go negotiate the peace treaty if I must."

"I'd sell it to you for a Knut, professor, or you ma'am. I'm just tired of the Ministry acting like I should be grateful for how they've treated me." Harry looked away, appearing to be a little embarrassed at what he'd done.

Madame Bones said, "Neither of you have to do any of that. I'll go light a fire under Cornelius' cauldron. He has much more than that allocated for this type of thing. I'll make sure you have your money this afternoon, and I'll enjoy riding Carver's broomside getting it for you.

"But, Harry, why eleven thousand and one Galleons?"

Harry grinned. His eyes positively twinkled. "So when I donate eleven thousand and one Galleons to the Werewolves' Relief Fund, they'll know exactly what I did with their money."

Madame Bones was still roaring with laughter when she disappeared into the fireplace.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Thanks for reading and reviewing.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Author's Magical Historical Notes -

The most famous vampire of all, known today as Count Dracula, was better know as Vlad the Impaler in his days in the early fifteenth century. But vampires had existed for over eight hundred years before that. They'd fought wizards for all of that time, because witches and wizard were the ones who became the undead. Muggles just died, drained of their blood. Magical folk, came back to life, or un-life, as the living dead.

Blood sucking creatures of dubious versions go back in recorded history four thousand years to the Assyrians and Babylonians. But the covens of today in Harry Potter's world began their rise in the early seventh century. They threatened to takeover all of Eastern and Central Europe by 812 A.D., and then roll right into Western Europe. Not dissimilar to the first war against Voldemort, it was a wizard-to-wizard fight, with Muggles being victimized by both sides in the conflict.

The strong links between the magical governments of Europe find many of their origins in their combining to fight the vampires during these days. It was at this time that the last popular wizard who was a Spell Monger made his international debut.

Spell Mongers have all come from the British Isles, and claim their profession goes back to a grandson of Willen the Great Olive Hander who discovered/developed magic, and founded his families wand making business in 382 B.C. Indeed, Spell Mongery does follow a form of spell discovery similar to how Willen discerned the first specific spells. However, Spell Mongering takes this practice and goes far beyond it, making magic do what the Monger wants done.

Osbert Blacwin holds the distinction of being one of the most important wizards in British history who does not have a Chocolate Frog Card created in his honor. He was much celebrated in his day, a day when Spell Mongery had no bad reputation. Blacwin mongered the legendary Thunderfire charm. Not only that, he distilled the results of the charm in a manner where the Thunderfire itself could be captured and held in a container much like bluebell flames could be contained in a jam jar. But of course it was much more complicated than that.

Thunderfire could explosively cast the brightness of broad daylight on a cloudless day, into the midst of the darkest of dark places. Done correctly, and only the stronger wizards and witches could cast it, released Thunderfire could kill a vampire like regular sunlight could.

Before Thunderfire, magical folks were just as dependent on wooden stakes and holy water for fighting vampires as were Muggles. Few magicals could cast a powerful enough Thunderfire Charm to kill, but weaker castings could stun and drive back the Dark ones. Osbert Blacwin later re-mongered the killing Thunderfire so that it could be contained in a bell jar of sufficient quality and thickness, and sealed to a polished marble base. Contained Thunderfire could act like a hand grenade or Molotov Cocktail. Or it could provide a light source for several score years.

A mongered piece of magic had to be sold by the Spell Monger to the wielder of that magic. No one had been able to cast killing Thunderfire since the last Spell Monger, Telemachus Grind, sold the Charm to the last great Hungarian Night Hunter, Stanislaw Helsingyar, in 1013 A.D. At Helsingyar's death, vampires began to rise again, until a British Arithmantic Spell Creation Crafter created the Thunderlight Spell in 1094 A.D.

Thunderlight was a weak brother to Thunderfire. It couldn't kill a vampire, but it would stun one, allowing the killing stroke of a wooden stake if the caster were powerful enough.

A number of other spells, curses, jinxes and hexes, had been discovered and modified to fight the bloodsuckers of Eastern Europe, but nothing was as effective as Thunderfire, or even close. The combined efforts of the governmental forces of these forefront countries had been needed to keep vampires at bay. Now that the numbers of fighters had been seriously reduced, the poorly lashed together pieces of existing magic used now to fight the vampires were looking less and less effective. and Thunderlight had seemed to be less effective in recent years.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Disclaimer--- What belongs to J K Rowling is J K Rowling's. Everything left is mine,
I guess, but remember the old adage: "There is nothing new under the sun."
However, that which is mine is copyright 2006 Aaran St Vines.