Unofficial Portkey Archive

Always The Bridesmaid by PruTru
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Always The Bridesmaid

PruTru

Note: I thought that it would be better to combine two ten page chapters to make one suitably long one.

Part Three - Sweet Kisses

Though many things in Hermione's life would change over the years, Hogwarts, she knew, would remain the same. It was as if the place was frozen in time, and as she approached the castle she found herself smiling, indulging in a fantasy that she was heading home to Gryffindor tower, to all of her friends, and to a steady, reassuring routine of daily classes.

She waved to tiny Professor Flitwick as she circumvented the castle and took the path to the lake. There was the old tree where she, Harry, and Ron had spent so much time relaxing and studying, unable to appreciate the beauty and simplicity of their youth when they'd been students here.

She'd just reached the tree when she heard footsteps approach. She turned. Harry was coming, lips pulled up in a smile. She returned it and opened her arms, hugging him close, grateful that the awkwardness she'd feared she'd feel upon seeing him after what she'd done in bed the night before was not present. Instead, she held on perhaps a bit longer than necessary, enjoying the feel of his powerful arms around her waist. The real thing was so much better than the fantasy.

"I'm sorry," he said, looping her arm in his and leading her around the lake. The water lapped quietly and rhythmically at the pebble-strewn shore, which crunched beneath their boots as they walked.

"Sorry for what?"

"Yesterday," said Harry. "Kettlebottom and I don't get on very well, Hermione. We have a history."

"I know. Ginny told me," Hermione said softly. "What I don't understand is why you didn't tell me."

"What happened between Draco and Ginny was private."

"No, not about that. I'm talking about your duel with Kevin at the Ministry the night you had to kill Draco. Does Ron know?"

"Not unless Ginny told him."

They fell back into silence. Hermione watched the tentacles of the Giant Squid splash about the lake, her mind filled with questions that she was wary to ask.

"There's so many questions I want to ask," she said, "but I don't want to pry."

"Since when have you ever cared about prying into my life?" Harry asked, his eyebrows disappearing into his hairline. His tone was casual, and he was smiling, but his words stung her to the quick.

Hermione came up short, offended, pulled her away, and stuck her nose straight into the air, her back stiff as a board. Harry stepped back and looked her over, frowning.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione demanded.

"What?"

"Don't be coy, Harry. You just accused me of being a busybody."

"I did not!" Harry said, looking almost comically surprised by the turn their conversation had taken.

"You make it sound as if I make it a habit to pry into your personal life."

"Well you did, but that was your way. I mean, that's what best friends do."

"No, they don't."

"Well, you did, before."

"Before what?"

"Before you drifted away," he said.

Hermione was suddenly at a loss for words, which very rarely happened to her. Before she drifted away? She wasn't sure if she should be angry or not, but she was certainly confused.

"I didn't drift away Harry. You closed yourself off years ago, from Ginny, from me, and Ron…everyone. You've become a stranger."

Harry stared at her. He had a hard, angry look in his eyes, but she didn't feel as if any of that anger was directed at her. Harry turned and started for the school, and Hermione stood ready to watch him walk away, but something just wouldn't let her.

As if some invisible outside force shoved her in the back, Hermione lurched forward, her heart pounding, consciously aware that she had no idea what she was going to do to reach him. All she knew was that right now instinct would serve her better than intellect.

She reached out, grabbed a hand full of his robes, and pulled. He could have kept moving, he was so much bigger and stronger than she was, but he allowed her to stop him. She threw her arms around his waist and squeezed tight, determined that nothing would separate them. Not even Harry.

For a few moments Harry stood stiff, arms limp at his sides, but then slowly he lifted his arms and wrapped them around her, and lowered his head until his cheek was resting atop her head.

"We were once best friends," Hermione said. "How did we get this way?"

"Me," he said. "You're right, I've pulled away."

"Why? Don't you love…us…anymore?" Hermione faltered in her words. She'd wanted to ask if he loved her, but a foolish sense of schoolgirl shyness overtook her and she included Ron in her question. She wondered if Harry could see through her flimsy mask.

"Of course I do," Harry said.

Jupiter, the king of the gods, may as well have struck her heart with a rod of lightning, for it suddenly raced. There was something in the way Harry was standing, the feel of his arms, his breath coming in warm bursts that warmed her face and neck, that excited her.

She felt him run a hand slowly, lovingly up her back and to her neck. He'd never, in the eleven years she'd known him, touched her this way. It was warm, and intimate, the touch of a hopeful lover.

"Hermione," he whispered, making her gulp. There was so much emotion, so much need and want in his voice, that it made her tremble.

Her eyes closed, Hermione tilted her head back. No amount of internal dialogue, of intellectual reasoning, would convince her that this was wrong. The way she felt now, needed and wanted by someone else, was what she'd been searching for all of her adult life.

Harry's lips, soft and warm, gently collided with hers. She seemed unable to consciously control any part of her body, and her lips simply parted, granting him complete access. Harry's tongue plundered her mouth, slowly at first, but then hungrily. The harder he kissed her the weaker her knees became, until most of her weight rested in Harry's powerful arms.

She didn't know how long the kiss lasted, only that by the time their lips parted she felt giddy, drunk with love.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked into Harry's, seeing in them everything she'd ever longed to see. Need, want, love.

"I'm sorry," a familiar voice said. Hermione's knees found their strength and she stood back. Harry reluctantly released her. "I hate to interrupt."

"Remus," Harry said. "What brings you here?"

Remus Lupin was grinning down at them from the top of the hill. He approached, his hands behind his back.

"Nymph sent me," Remus said. "We've got a situation with…er…you know who."

"You're kidding!" Hermione said, her mouth dropping open in shock. "He can't be back, I saw him die!"

"No," Harry said, grinning broadly at her mistake. "Not Voldemort. He means my latest case." Looking back at Remus he said, "I'll be right there."

Nodding at Hermione, Remus turned and started for the gate.

"Don't go to the wedding with Kevin tomorrow, Hermione," Harry said.

"You want to take his place?"

"If I can make it, yes," Harry said.

"You won't be there?" Hermione said, disappointed.

"I hope so, but I can't promise. I've got a really important case going on."

"What is the case?" Hermione asked.

"I can't discuss it. Not yet," Harry said vaguely.

"I can't just cancel him," Hermione said. "He'll want to know why."

Harry's eyes flashed angrily. This time she did get the feeling he was upset with her.

"You still want to go with him, after what just happened between us?" Harry asked.

"No, I don't, but he's a friend and-"

"He's not a friend anymore, drop him. I don't want you anywhere near him, Hermione."

The elation from the kiss she and Harry had shared moments before was quickly evaporating. She loved Harry, but she would not stand for being treated as property instead of being treated as a person.

"Harry, kissing me once doesn't give you the right to tell me who I can and cannot be friends with."

"It isn't like that, Hermione," Harry said. "I have my reasons for asking you to stay away from Kettlebottom."

"What reasons?"

"I can't say," he insisted, raising his voice. "I have to go."

"Harry-"

"I have to go," He insisted. "I'll see you as soon as I can."

He hurried off after Remus, leaving her bewildered and upset. She waited until he was gone before leaving school grounds and Apparating to the Burrow.

*

*

"You haven't been here all day," Ginny said, examining Hermione's dress. The hem had been raised to suit Ginny, but Hermione couldn't concentrate on the tasks at hand. All she could do was think about Harry.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said. "I've got things on my mind."

"Kevin?"

"Sort of. Harry told me to stay away from him, not to attend the wedding with him tomorrow." Said Hermione, omitting the incredible kiss that her preceded Harry's unseemly little territorial pissing act.

"Why?"

"He didn't say. What would you do?"

"I'd go with Kevin," Ginny said. "Unless Harry gave me a reason…say," Ginny said, looking at Hermione, suddenly shrewd.

"What?"

"Why is Harry trying so hard to come between you and Kevin? Are you seeing Harry?"

"No!" Hermione said, shaking her head adamantly and upsetting the flowers that had been loosely pinned to her hair.

Ginny stared hard at Hermione, who was now hoping that Harry hadn't taught her Legilimency in their time together as a couple.

"What's going on, Hermione?"

"Nothing, I swear."

"You can tell me," Ginny said lightly. A little too lightly, in Hermione's opinion. "I'm over Harry, Hermione. I'm getting married tomorrow, aren't I? If something is going on between you and Harry, you can tell me."

"It's nothing, Ginny, really," Hermione insisted, feeling guilty for lying, but wary at the same time. She knew all too well from her experience with Ron and Lavender how much it hurt to see an ex with another person, especially one of your friends. "Really, there's nothing."

"Fine," Ginny said, seeming to accept Hermione's lie. "Like I told you before, don't let Harry chose who you'll be with. Bring Kevin, unless Harry gives you a good reason not to."

Hermione nodded, and once Ginny was satisfied with the bridesmaid dresses they made arrangements to meet with the caterer, check the seating arrangements, and to make sure the flowers were ready. Hermione pitied the caterer and the sweet old witch who owned the Magical Green. Though Hermione knew everything was going perfectly according to schedule, Ginny insisted on checking and rechecking everything.

"Ginny, you're going to make the caterer hex you, if you don't leave him alone," Hermione said, preparing to Floo to Diagon Alley with Ginny, who was stuffing her wand into the back pocket of her jeans.

"I know, but everything has to be perfect."

"It will be," Hermione assured her, but Ginny only fidgeted with her bag and Hermione sighed, taking pity on her. "Fine, let's go check the order. Merlin forbid he forgets Fleur's order for bouillabaisse."

Smiling happily, Ginny took up a pinch of Floo Powder and stepped into the hearth.

*

*

"Satisfied?" the caterer said, exasperated. He put his hands on his hips and glared at Ginny, who was looking over the cake, which featured tiny, realistic replicas of her and Neville kissing at the top.

"You have a protection-"

"Protection charm on the cake, yes," the caterer said, harried. Hermione had never seen a more beautiful and feminine man. In fact, she wasn't entirely sure if he was a man. Regardless of his sexual identity, he made steak tartar to kill for. "You-Know-Who himself couldn't nick a finger of icing off this thing before you and your husband cut it, darling, I swear it!"

"Fine," Ginny said testily. "I'm just trying to make sure-"

"That everything will be perfect?" the cater said, talking over Ginny."

"Is that Harry?" Hermione said, pointing out of the shop window. Ginny and the caterer looked up.

"I think it is," Ginny said. "So?"

"He's supposed to be on a case with Tonks," Hermione said absently. A sigh from the caterer pulled Hermione's attention away from the street after Harry had passed. "I wonder if it's somewhere close to here?"

"Harry Potter," the caterer said wistfully. "What beautiful eyes he has. What sumptuous lips, what a powerful body."

"Yeah," Hermione said, lost in memories of the kiss they'd shared that morning.

"I'd curse my own mum to get a hold of his…well…never mind that" the caterer's voice faded away. "Satisfied, Miss Weasley?"

"That'll be Madam Longbottom tomorrow," Ginny said, happily, watching the tiny replica of herself grab Neville's bum.

"That's another thing," the caterer said, exasperated but amused, "I keep having to hide this cake from customers, the way those little dolls carry on, it's shameful! I hope they behave at the ceremony tomorrow. There'll be children there, you know."

Hermione listened to Ginny and caterer but her mind was on Harry, and that kiss, and just what she would do about Kevin Kettlebottom.

*

*

Dinner at the Leaky Cauldron was a noisy affair as the place was packed full. Hermione and Ginny were due to meet Neville, who cancelled at the last minute, citing a problem at his grandmother's house. Ginny, for her part, had nothing left to do for the day, and it had taken the threat of a halitosis curse to keep her from going back to check on the cake once again.

"You're scared," Hermione said, looking at Ginny, who was shoving food around on her plate without eating. "And this is how you're dealing."

"Am I that obvious?" Ginny said dryly.

"What are you afraid of?"

Sighing, Ginny put down her fork, laced her finger together on the table and looked at Hermione.

"I'm going to be a married woman. Neville and I are going to share everything."

Hermione frowned, not quite understanding Ginny's dilemma. "So?"

"I'm Ginny Weasley. I know who I am, I understand my life, myself, and I'm happy. But tomorrow I'm going to become someone else."

Hermione laughed. "No you're not, Ginny. You'll still be you."

"No, I'm not," Ginny insisted. "I'll have a new name, a new house. It won't be just me anymore. It'll be me and Neville. Our house, our bed, our life. I hope I can do it."

Hermione was silent. She'd never really considered what it meant to get married. One did change their identity to some extent, especially a woman, regardless if she took her husband's name.

"I've never thought of it that way," Hermione said. "You know what's strange about being a woman?"

"What?" Ginny asked, sipping her wine.

"Our identity seems so dependent on the men in our lives. You go from being your father's daughter to your husband's wife."

"Doesn't seem fair, does it?" Ginny said. "I think if I didn't love Neville so much I'd be angry that people will think of me as 'Neville's wife'. But then a part of me looks forward to it."

"Miss Granger."

Hermione looked up and saw Tom standing over her. He handed her a piece of yellow parchment.

"An owl tried to bring this in," he said. "I thought I'd deliver it personally."

"Thank you, Tom," she said, taking the parchment. It bore her office seal, which she broke open to read, and her mouth fell open. "Oh my!"

To: Miss H J Granger.

From: Madam Angelica Pepper

Situation: Cauldron explosion. Dangerous, and possibly illegal, potion present. Healers from St. Mungo's unable to gain clearance from the Ministry without approval from the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad.

Your Designation: First responder.

Status: Urgent. Please respond forthwith.

"What's wrong?" Ginny asked.

"It's a first responder case. I have to go."

"Isn't that dangerous?" Ginny asked, standing as well.

"It could be," Hermione conceded. "There's been a cauldron explosion. Someone was brewing something illegal."

"Need some backup?"

"No, I'll be fine. They always make these things sound worse than they usually are. I'll come back to the Burrow once I've finished this."

Hermione checked the address once more before rushing outside to Apparate to the accident. Hermione felt a the thrill of excitement. She'd been stuck on case resolutions for so long she'd forgotten what had attracted her to this job to begin with: firs responder cases. One never knew what they'd be walking in to, or how grand or complex the mistake they would have to fix would be.

*

*

The cabin was on fire, the flames consuming it burning a brilliant and unnatural pink. It was pretty, but smelled heavily of sulfur and moonstone. Fortunately the cabin was on the outskirts of Hogsmeade, away from Muggle eyes.

A team of healers from St. Mungo's stood in a tight group outside, their faces glowing in the light of the pink flames. Several junior law enforcement officers from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement milled about, looking anxious.

"Miss Granger? Norbert Bertram, pleased to meet you."

Hermione offered her hand to a tall, handsome man in his early forties, and wearing crisp gray robes. "Anyone inside?" Hermione asked.

"The owner of the house, Ephraim Hillstone. He's got several severe burns, but he's surrounded by that fire and we can't get to him."

"No one has extinguished the fire?"

"We can't," he said. "That's why we called you. We don't know what he was brewing. Most likely he was experimenting in there."

"Sulfur and moonstone, pink flames…" Hermione said, thinking aloud. "Excuse me, Mr. Bertram."

Hermione pulled her wand and approached the fire, trying several extinguishing charms. Apparently it didn't require oxygen to burn, which made the fire purely magical.

"He's trying to brew a chemical to make Gabrathian fire," Hermione informed Bertram.

"That's illegal," Bertram said unnecessarily.

Hermione nodded, biting back a grin, and looked at the group of healers waiting to get inside. An idea occurred to her. The formula the man had been brewing was incomplete, which meant the fire could still be extinguished. It would be difficult, but it could be done. She pulled out a piece of parchment and a Muggle pen that she liked to keep handy since they didn't require dipping in ink, and wrote down a list of ingredients.

"I'll need to brew that in a stone cauldron," Hermione said. "Standard size fifteen."

Bertram frowned. "Stone cauldrons are only used in Dark magic. You'll need a permit-"

"I'm authorized in emergency situations," Hermione said, working up a combination charm that would contain the fire until a solution could be made to extinguish it. "You can see my permit on record at the Ministry, but check that later. Right now I need those ingredients before this fire spreads from the house."

"Right away," Bertram said, Disapparating with a loud crack.

Hermione turned her wand on the fire, breathing through her mouth to minimize the smell hanging about the place, and in a few moments a white mist sprayed from her wand and engulfed the flames. The healers cheered as the progress of the fire came to a halt, and they were able to move inside to retrieve Mr. Hillstone.

Two hours later Hermione finished the extinguishing potion. She levitated the cauldron, which was large enough for three adult men to sit comfortably inside, into the air as a few ministry workers Vanished the roof from the house. Pouring the potion over the flames, everyone applauded her once again as slowly the flames flickered, and then died.

"Very well done, Hermione."

Hermione lowered the cauldron and watched Kevin approach, dressed casually in a shirt and slacks.

"Kevin," she said, feeling awkward. "What brings you here?"

"I live right over there," he said, pointing down the lane to an impressive two story structure. "I've been here for quite some time, watching you work. I'm impressed. You really know your business."

"Thanks."

"May I interest you in a cup of tea?"

"Oh, that's nice of you, but I think I'm going to just go home. But I would like to talk with you."

"Shall we walk, then?"

"Alright."

Hermione waved at the officers on duty, signed their reports, and then started down the lane with Kevin, gathering her thoughts. Hogwarts was barely visible in the distance, and the lights of the village glittered in the night, yellow and warm, welcoming.

"What's on your mind?"

"I'm going to have to break our date to the wedding tomorrow," she said.

Kevin remained silent. She was almost afraid to look up at him, but when she did, she found him looking straight at her.

"May I ask why?"

"Harry."

"I see," he said.

"I found out what happened between the two of you," she said, but she was quick to add "but that's not why I'm breaking the date."

"Then why?"

"There's something between Harry and me. It's new, and fragile, but I want it."

"And you don't want that with me?"

"Kevin-"

"No, I'm sorry," he said, stopping in front of his house. He looked hurt, and a little angry, but his words remained respectful. "I shouldn't have asked you that. You don't owe me an explanation. I'm just disappointed, I suppose."

"I'm sorry, I really am."

"Does your…whatever you have with Potter…does that mean we can't be friends?"

"Harry doesn't choose my friends," Hermione said. "If friendship is enough for you, then I'd very much like that."

"So would I," Kevin said. He seemed genuine, but hurt, and guilt pressed in on Hermione from all sides.

"I'll see you at work on Monday," she said.

Nodding, but saying nothing, Kevin turned onto the walk and entered his house, shutting the door without looking back. Sighing, Hermione Apparated home, wanting to put an end to one of the most confusing days she'd ever known.

*

*

Wedding Bells Ring

"Okay, Ginny, just breathe," Hermione instructed. "You're going to be fine."

Ginny plopped unceremoniously onto the pouf in the bedroom she'd used while growing up at the Burrow. Fleur, Luna, and Lavender watched her from the door.

"Darling," Fleur said, coming to sit beside her. "You 'ave nuzzing to fear. Believe me, I know. Thees iz just cold feet."

"Trust her," Lavender said. "She's already been married, she knows the ceremony isn't hard."

"I don't understand," Luna said, her hair looking full and shiny, instead of stringy, for the first time since Hermione had met her. "All you're doing is taking a vow. Then you can sit down, if you want."

Hermione rolled her eyes and then knelt before Ginny. "Ginny, I watched you knee Lord Voldemort himself in the balls once, now I know you can stand up in front of a crowd and repeat some vows."

"That was easy, he was choking me. I'd rather knee Voldemort in the balls again than go out there," Ginny said, looking green all of a sudden. "I'm going to vomit."

Hermione Summoned a make-up basket from the dresser, dumped out the contents, and held it up to Ginny, who did indeed vomit.

"Feel better?" Hermione asked.

"No," Ginny said. She used her wand to clean her mouth, and Hermione was amazed by how much her wand trembled in her grip.

"Girls, could I have a moment?" Hermione asked. Fleur, Lavender, and Luna all shrugged and left the room.

"We'll be downstairs," Lavender said.

Taking the spot that Fleur vacated, Hermione put her arm around Ginny. They were facing the dresser mirror, and Hermione smiled.

"You're beautiful, Ginny," Hermione said. "And I love you."

Ginny burst into tears. "I'm acting like a girly girl."

"It's about time," Hermione said, laughing.

"I'm supposed to be strong and tough."

"You're one of the strongest, toughest people I know," Hermione replied.

"I don't feel that way now."

"You don't have to go through with this," Hermione said. "But you love Neville, he loves you, right?"

"Yes," Ginny said, with satisfying immediacy and certainty.

Hermione studied Ginny's reflection. The young woman beside her made a stunning bride, and for one moment, however brief, she was deeply jealous.

Oh no, no, no, Hermione said sternly to herself, I'm not going to allow myself to wallow in self-pity.

"Harry didn't come," Ginny said, looking Hermione's reflection in the eye. "How do you feel about that?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm no fool, Hermione. You've been asking about him all day. Kevin didn't show. I'm guessing you cancelled to be with Harry."

"Ginny-"

"Hermione," Ginny said, looking away from the mirror and directly at Hermione. "I'm okay with that. Really. I have a man I love."

"Then go out there and marry him," Hermione said, smiling. "He's waiting for you. And if I know Neville, he's scared witless right now, wondering where you are."

Ginny grinned and nodded, getting to her feet with a confidence that had been sorely lacking when she'd stumbled into the room a few minutes before.

"Let's do this thing," Ginny said.

"That's my girl."

Hermione gripped Ginny's hand and together, they went downstairs to meet up with Arthur.

*

*

The ceremony went well. Ginny's voice was confident, Neville's voice was small, but filled with happiness. Molly wept on Arthur's shoulder, who in turn, cried into her hair.

Hermione tried her best to concentrate on the exchange of vows, but her eyes kept skimming the crowd. Harry was nowhere to be seen. Neither was Tonks' shock of pink hair, or Remus' graying brown hair.

Why didn't they come? Hermione wondered. Are they in danger? Is Harry hurt?

The guests cheered as Neville and Ginny kissed. Coming to her senses, Hermione clapped with everyone else as the two raced down the center aisle, cowering under a shower of confetti and bubbles from the many wands in the audience.

*

*

"They're so much in love," Lavender said, later that evening. "It's beautiful."

Hermione had taken her shoes off and was fanning herself with a program. She'd drank so much punch she was sick of it. Following Lavender's gaze, she found Neville and Ginny dancing to a slow number being played by the band. Their eyes were locked together, and it was obvious that they were oblivious to everyone and everything else in the world. Hermione doubted they could even hear the music. They were just moving and being, as one.

Hermione's mind went back to the kiss she and Harry had shared beside the lake the day before. Would they ever have a moment like the one Neville and Ginny were enjoying? She'd wanted, needed, to see Harry after the kiss they'd shared. She wanted to talk about it, about them. She'd wanted another kiss, but he was out of contact.

She couldn't help but wonder if perhaps he was avoiding her. Maybe he regretted the kiss. Maybe he felt it had been a mistake, and didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her they would have to remain strictly friends.

"They make a beautiful couple," Hermione agreed absently.

"I wonder where Harry, Tonks, and Remus are," Lavender said absently. "Do you think Harry declined to come because of some lingering feelings for Ginny?"

"You just can't help yourself, can you, Lavender?" Hermione asked, more amused than annoyed.

"Whatever do you mean?" Lavender asked with mock innocence.

"You love to gossip. I suppose old habits die hard."

Lavender laughed, unabashed, and Ron chose that moment to make an appearance. He looked harried, agitated.

"What's the matter, love?" Lavender asked.

"Nothing," Ron said, watching Neville and Ginny. "D'you think it's possible to get Neville so drunk he couldn't…you know…later?"

"Are you still on about that?" Lavender asked, shaking her head in disbelief.

"I've got news for you, Ron," Hermione said. "They already have. Ginny told me."

"Aw, man…" Ron said, looking disgusted.

"Come on," Lavender said, taking Ron's hand and leading him to the dance floor.

Hermione danced a few numbers with Fred and George, Bill, and Mr. Weasley, and slowly the sun began to fade, but Harry had not made an appearance. Finally, depressed and too tired to hide it any longer, Hermione snuck toward the house. She was almost at the kitchen door when Remus Lupin emerged, dressed in work robes, and a half-healed cut on his right cheek.

"Hermione, there you are," he said, and fear stabbed at Hermione's stomach.

"What's the matter?"

"Harry was hurt-"

"Oh, God!" she said, fearing the worst before Lupin could finish the sentence. "What happened?"

"He's alive," Lupin said. "He's been in St. Mungo's most of the day. He was hurt during an arrest, but there's more work that he and Tonks needs to complete, a few more wizards to bring in. He wanted me to let you know why he didn't come to the wedding."

"And Tonks? Is she alright?"

"She's fine. We've been with Harry all day."

"If he was hurt, why is he going back out? Can't the ministry replace him?"

Lupin shook his head. "He won't hear of it. You know how Harry is, Hermione. He always gets his man."

"I know. I'm just afraid it's going to get him killed one of these days."

Remus said nothing, but touched her arm. "Now you know. I'll see you later."

Kissing Hermione on the cheek, Remus moved into the crowd, seeking Neville and Ginny to wish them well and inform them of what had happened. Since the cake had been cut, Hermione decided she didn't care if it was rude or not to slip away. She wanted a quiet drink of something that offered more kick than virgin fruit punch.

*

*

The Leaky Cauldron was crowded to capacity, which was odd for a Thursday night. Hermione pushed her way through, recognizing several faces from the Ministry, but Neville and Ginny had not arrived for their arranged dinner date. She decided to order a drink when she ran into a man standing up from the bar.

"Oh, Kevin!" Hermione said, her mouth falling open in horror as his wine sloshed over his perfectly clean white shirt. "I'm so sorry!"

"Hermione," he said brightly, smiling and seeming genuinely happy to see her, even though doing so had earned him a glass of cold wine down his front. "Don't worry about it, love. This is nothing a little scouring charm can't cure."

"Care to join me at the bar?"

Hermione hesitated, but then nodded and took a seat that faced the entrance from Diagon Alley. This way she would be able to see if Harry decided to stop in for a drink since he'd missed the wedding.

"Expecting someone?" Kevin asked, watching her watch the entrance. She could see from the shine in his eyes he'd had more than one drink, though he was far from drunk.

"No," Hermione said. "Just a habit, I suppose."

"Was it a good wedding?"

"One of the best," Hermione said.

"Weddings make me uncomfortable," Kevin confided. Hermione accepted her drink order from Tom and raised her eyebrows at Kevin.

"Do they? Why?"

"I'm not sure," he said. "I think it has something to do with the fact that my mother keeps giving me pointed glares whenever the bride walks down the aisle."

Hermione laughed. "I've been to nine weddings over the past three years alone."

"Nine? That's quite a bit."

"I know," Hermione said. "I've been a bridesmaid in five of them. Always the bridesmaid…."

"Never the bride," Kevin finished for her. He was looking at her very closely. "Do you regret that?"

Hermione almost said no by rote, but stopped at the last second to think about it. How much, she wondered, should she trust to tell this man? Kevin's eyes were soft and open, unassuming and undemanding.

"Yes, it bothers me," she finally said.

Kevin nodded, and sensing the pain the conversation was causing Hermione, changed the subject to the Wizengamot. They never talked about his work, it was always about her. She found that he was very passionate about his work, something she wished she felt for her own job.

The night passed quickly and Harry failed to show, but Hermione had stopped noticing. Kevin had a way of absorbing her into conversation so that she didn't even notice there was anyone else in the room but him, with the exception of the occasional loud, drunken shouts of a few young wizards in the rear of the bar.

"I've taken a room upstairs," he said, and for one moment Hermione thought he was asking her up. She nearly snorted the last of her drink, but kept it in check. "I'm going to go change and then we're going dancing."

Hermione laughed nervously. "It's almost midnight, Kevin."

"The best time for dancing, my dear," he said. "What, are you too old? Have you run out of spunk?"

"Never," she said.

"Then come on. I'll change and we'll find another place."

It wasn't necessary for her to go to his room, Hermione knew, but the idea of telling him no, she'd wait at the bar seemed absurd. She'd already told him she had something with Harry, and that they could be only friends. Surely he understood and accepted that.

Hermione hopped down, somewhat unsteadily, from the bar stool and followed him up, imagining what it must look like to the other guests to follow a man upstairs, and she hoped it didn't get back to Harry.

*

*

The music that had been playing downstairs died completely out once Kevin closed the door to his sizable room. Despite its age and reasonable price, everyone knew that the Leaky Cauldron was the best place in Britain to spend the night. The beds were big and soft, and the fires always warmed the room just right. One blazed in the hearth, putting out just enough heat to dispel the unseasonable chill that had followed the rain that had moved in over much of the country.

"I'll only be a moment," Kevin said, disappearing into the private bath.

Hermione still felt uneasy. She and Harry hadn't promised themselves to each other, but she still felt she was being disloyal in some way to him by coming to Kevin's room. She tried to remind herself that they weren't doing anything wrong. They were simply going to go out on the town as platonic friends. Hermione continued to worry as she sat down gingerly on the corner of the bed to wait.

Kevin strolled past her, topless, and went to the dresser in front of the bed. His skin was pale and it was easy to trace the blue web of veins that zigzagged under his flesh. He wasn't a large, broad man like Harry, but he was well cut and slender. Hermione felt herself blushing when Kevin suddenly stopped in his perusal of a new shirt and looked over his shoulder at her, his dark green eyes partially obscured in a curtain of light blond hair.

The look he gave her in that moment made Hermione's skin break out in goose flesh. It was pure, unadulterated need and desire.

"I should leave now, Kevin," Hermione said, standing, but Kevin crossed the distance from the bed to the dresser in one big step, which was easy for him to accomplish with his long legs.

Hermione saw him coming, and she hadn't the time to stop him. She turned her head at the last possible second so that Kevin's mouth landed on her neck instead of her lips.

Kevin's searching mouth searched the tender flesh of her neck, and his hands groped with expert ease the most intimate parts of her body, as if he had rights to her that she had never given.

"Hermione," Kevin mumbled, holding her tightly and pushing her toward the bed, where he collapsed atop her. He claimed her lips in a forceful kiss. She pushed against him, but he was strong, and her resistance was ineffectual. Fear blossomed in her stomach, as his hands became more insistent.

"Kevin, I can't," Hermione said.

"If you just give me a chance," he said in a pleading voice, "you'll see how good we can be together."

"Kevin, stop."

But he didn't stop. Instead he covered her lips in another kiss, holding onto her tightly, one hand searching under the bridesmaid dress she still wore from the wedding, trying to find her knickers. She shoved at his hands and began to struggle. Her wand was strapped to her right leg, out of reach due to the awkward way Kevin had sprawled against her.

Finally she broke free of his lips and shoved hard against him.

"Kevin, stop! I mean it, get off me!"

"Hermione-"

"No!"

She brought a hand up, slapping him hard across the face, and he seemed to come to himself then.

"Get off me. Let me up!"

He rolled over, and she pulled herself from beneath him, panting for breath. He seemed shocked at his own behavior.

"Hermione…I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"You scared me."

"I'm sorry."

"Our friendship is over," Hermione said, gulping, and pulling her wand, just in case he came at her again. She backed toward the door; she couldn't Dispparate due to the security charms in place over the building. Kevin remained on the bed, watching her with sad eyes, but he made no further advances on her.

She ran from the room, tears of anger and misplaced guilt stung her eyes. Why had she even gone to his room to begin with? No woman in her right man went to a man's bedroom unless she intended to sleep with him.

Hermione heard the rain falling outside and didn't care if she caught another cold. She needed cool wind and water on her face. She ran into the night, clutching her wand in her hand, unseeing, unheeding of any possible dangers that lurked in the night.

She didn't give any conscious thought to where her feet took her, and time had no longer held any meaning for her. When she finally stopped, Hermione found herself outside of the apothecary below Harry's flat. The windows of his place were completely dark. He wasn't home.

The stairs that led to the door of the apartment were steep, but in a few seconds she stood before Harry's front door, which was guarded by one of the familiar old gargoyles from Hogwarts, and Hermione remembered the day McGonagall had given it to Harry.

She prepared to begin guessing the entry word when the statue suddenly looked at her, sprang to life, and stepped quietly aside where it waited for her to pass. The lock clicked open of its own accord before her, and slowly the door drifted open. Hermione was suddenly overcome with emotion, and sobbing, she entered Harry's apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~

One of Harry's shirts lay discarded on the floor of his bedroom. Hermione peeled off her wet clothes, pulled on Harry's shirt, and then crawled into his bed. The sheets were the finest linen, and they were soft, holding his scent well. She nestled deep inside the sheets and buried her face in his pillow. Now dry and warm, the soft bed and Harry's musky, clean smell conspired to calm her. She listened to the rain pound against the window, wishing he were there for her like he had been in the old days.

Hermione thought of his job then. He was an Auror. His job was dangerous, and he was doing it without her and Ron there to watch his back. The memory of Remus coming and telling her that Harry had been hurt returned. What if something happened to him? What if he went out one day and didn't return? How would she live without Harry?

The idea of a world without Harry was so utterly foreign to Hermione that it chilled her in ways cold rain never could. She took in a deep breath, feeling as if he were there somehow, and slowly she drifted off into a restless half-sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

At some point the image of Harry's face, merely inches from hers, went from being a dream to being a reality. It was still dark, and rain still raged against the windows, but the weight depressing the bed beside her was very real. So were the bright green eyes looking at her without the glasses to cover them, and the hand that gently caressed her face.

"I love you," she said in a voice barely above a whisper. She'd only told Harry that once before, three years ago, just as he'd gone into the graveyard to fight Voldemort for the last time over his parents' graves.

"I love you too," he said, just as softly.

"I feel like I'm drowning," she said, hot tears falling from her eyes. He gently wiped them away with the flat, soft flesh of his thumb. "Save me?"

"Always," Harry said, without hesitation.

Harry's lips softly claimed hers. She breathed deep the scent of him, and reveled in the taste of him, as he kissed her. At first the kiss was light, but then it deepened, and all the pain and uncertainty in her heart was forgotten. Harry took Hermione into his arms, and he became her world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue coming soon!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lady_pru/