Unofficial Portkey Archive

Christmas Miracle by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Christmas Miracle

H_HrFan

A/N: Not mine. All characters, etc belong to JKR.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

This was posted as a Christmas challenge on a board I'm a member of and I like the way that it turned out, so I decided to post it here.

Here's the challenge…

Must be H/Hr…of course
Any genre [comedy, drama, romance, etc.]
1,000 words or less…no exceptions!
H/Hr can be any age

The following words MUST be used as least one time:
Footsie
Candy Cane[s]
Star
Bubble Lights
Mistletoe
Champagne

I hope you enjoy it!

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Christmas Miracle

Word Count: 999

"Lower it a little, Harry," Hermione snapped. "It's too high there."

Harry closed his eyes and grimaced. "Fine," he said, lowering the garland, "is this better?"

"A little higher, just a tad."

Harry obediently raised it. "Now?" he asked evenly, though his temper was mounting.

"Yeah," Hermione said waving her hand at him dismissively. "Whatever."

She looked up, her eyes cold and angry…until they met his and all of her anger melted beneath his gaze. A tear formed in her eye and she fought to blink it away. Harry jumped down from the ladder and hurried over to her. "What is it, Hermione?" he asked anxiously. "What's wrong?"

Hermione straightened her back and sniffled before squaring her shoulders and reaching for a small stack of candy canes. "These need to go on that garland," she said in a crisp, clear voice that indicated the `discussion' was over.

Reluctantly Harry took the canes. "Where's Ron?" he asked, climbing the ladder once more.

"He's either hiding in some corner playing footsie with Luna," she cringed and nearly had to bite her tongue to keep from shouting how unfair it was that Ron got his wish when she was still waiting for hers to come true, "or she's finally managed to drag him out of the house to get those bubble lights Mr. Weasley's been going on about."

"I thought they got those already," Harry said thoughtfully. "Didn't she take him out for those yesterday when they weren't here to help decorate?"

Hermione shrugged. "Well, there you go," she stated glumly. "Footsie it is, then."

Harry eyed her closely as he climbed back down the ladder. "Sit down," he softly commanded. "I'll be right back."

Without thinking Hermione plopped down onto the sofa and sat staring mindlessly at the star she and Harry had placed at the top of the tree.

"Harry, wait," Hermione laughed.

"Well, hurry up," Harry shouted through his own laughter. "This star won't put itself up, you know."

"Okay, just give me a second." Hermione came from around the corner wearing a Santa hat and a string of garland wrapped haphazardly around her neck. Her cheeks were glowing and Harry wondered at the way her smile seemed to change the light in the room. "What are you looking at?" she asked when she caught his stare.

"You look radiant," he said with a slight tinge in his cheeks.

Hermione dropped her eyes to the garland and laughed, "I look stupid," she said lightly. She looked up and smiled again. "Can you help me with this?" she asked, moving her hands to indicate the garland.

"If it'll get you over here quicker, I will," Harry replied as he carefully set down the star and rushed to her side. He picked up one end of the garland and stepped up close to her so he could raise it over her head. "How'd you get like this, anyway?" he asked, his voice raspy in such close proximity.

Hermione could feel the warmth of his breath on her face and she stopped breathing as a knot of anxiety settled in her stomach. Her throat went dry and she tried in vain to moisten her lips. Suddenly she reached for the garland and took a step back. "I got it from here," she said, quickly distancing herself from him.

Harry stumbled back a step and shook his head as though coming out of a trance. He dropped the garland and cleared his throat, "Um, yeah…great," he stammered, wiping his hands nervously on his pants. "I'll just, um, yeah…the star." He backed away and glanced up at her nervously as he turned his attention back to the tree.


Hermione released her breath as she struggled with the remainder of the garland. When she was finally free she rushed over to Harry's side and together they climbed the magically enhanced ladder so they could place the star at the top
of the tree, together.

The sound of footsteps brought Hermione from her reverie and she looked up to find Harry holding a glass out to her. She looked at him questioningly. "Champagne," he said softly. "Thought you might need a bit now." He sat down beside her and studied her eyes. "Care to talk?"

Hermione closed her eyes and raised her glass to his. A soft clink sounded and before Hermione could utter a word Harry spoke, his eyes never leaving hers. "To my Christmas miracle," he said softly. "Thank you."

Hermione gasped at both his sentiment and the way in which he'd spoken it. She studied him for a moment before taking a sip from her glass. She carefully set the glass on the table and turned to face him. "What'd you mean by that?"

Harry set his glass down beside hers and turned until they were facing each other. He studied her for a moment and felt his heart break at the sadness he found in her eyes. "I mean that I love you, Hermione," he said so matter-of-factly that Hermione wondered if he'd rehearsed it. He reached up and placed his palm against her cheek. "It means that since the day we met, every minute we've had together has been a miracle…a gift. And most importantly," he lowered his hand to just below her ear, then rested his forehead against hers, "it means that as of now, I want the world to know…" he lowered his chin so his lips hovered just above hers, "just how much I love you."

Hermione gasped as his lips touched hers in a chaste, first kiss. Her eyes were closed, her breath faltering as he released her. "Hermione, I-"

"Oi, mate!" Ron called when he entered the flat. "Got that mistletoe you…." He stopped short in the doorway and whistled incredulously. "Never mind, then," he said, quickly backing out the door.

Harry and Hermione shared a tender smile just before their lips met in a kiss that said everything words, in that moment, could not.


-->