Unofficial Portkey Archive

The New Dark Lord by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The New Dark Lord

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, or HBP would have been different.

A/N: My response to my own challenge, "The New Dark Lord". The requirements are included in the prologue. Please, if you read, leave me a comment. It makes me happy. The idea of the Liquid Imperious I've nicked from "Sunset on Britain", so I must say it is not mine but of Bob and Alex.

True Love Can Last

The burning curtains set on fire the rest of her room, so Lily got scared and started shouting.

That attracted the attention of Harry and Hermione, who ran to her room to see the flames advancing toward her little bed.

Hermione quickly went to take her daughter, while Harry with a flick of his hand extinguished the fire. Then he sighed, sitting onto the bed near Hermione, who was rocking her little girl to soothe her.

"Lily, dear, what has happened?" she asked after a while.

Still sobbing, the child answered. "I couldn't sleep, so I went to see you and ask you to read me a story, but I found you and him kissing, and I got angry, because love is such a stupid thing, and I hoped you would never fall into it again, so I retreated to my room, and suddenly fire started to spread on the curtains and on the rest of the room…I was so scared…"

Hermione sighed, while Harry passed his hand through his hair nervously. He understood the moment of a good chat had arrived.

"Lily, love is not something stupid. It can lead you to do stupid things, maybe even hurt the ones you love in the process, but it is not stupid itself. It is, instead, a force to be reckoned" he started.

The girl looked at him skeptically.

"I know you now think love is something temporary because of the divorce between your parents, but the thing is, there are different kinds of love. You may find your self liking a boy…"

"I'll never like boys! They are gross and stupid! And I'll never fall in love!" Lily protested, and Hermione seemed ready to speak, but Harry motioned for her to let him do the talking.

"You may think like that now, but you will definitely be interested in boys in a few years" he resumed, smiling at the doubtful expression the little girl gave him. "You will, I assure you. But, back on topic, you may be interested in them because of their appearance, and you'll think that guy is the one for you. Then, being with him, you find that you and him are not so well suited. That, Lily, is a weak kind of love. It's merely physical and it is called crush. In your teen years you will experience it, more than once maybe. But that is not real love"

He stopped for a pause, and noticed the girl was now interested. "Just like her mother, always ready to learn, and never missing a lecture" he thought smiling.

"Now, real love is based on physical attraction, but mostly on a deep bond of trust and loyalty to each other, and when you'll experience that, you will feel you're finally whole. That is rare, Lily, but out there, there is a guy perfect for you. The one, you may say. Well, this kind of love is the most powerful, and can do things you'll never expect. For example, I'm sure you know who I am, and my story"

"Yes. You're Harry Potter. You survived the Killing Curse at one, when no one was able to" the little girl said.

"Yes. No one knows how I could, but Albus Dumbledore, I'm sure you've heard of him, thought it was my mother's love who saved me. Of course that is another kind of love, but that is to prove that love truly is powerful. Now, back on romantic love. True love lasts, Lily. Again, take me as an example. I'm sure lately you've heard that I've done terrible things…" he said, regretfully.

"Yes, they called you a Dark Lord, and compared you to Voldemort" she said. Hermione in the mean time looked in awe at Harry, and his ability to capture her daughter's attention.

Maybe, just maybe, he will succeed in explaining the power of love to her.

He resumed his speech.

"Well, Lily, even during that time I never stopped loving a young woman who captured my heart in my Hogwarts days"

The little girl looked at him in thought. Then she spoke, triumphantly. "But you've stopped loving her now, since you kissed with my mum" she said, as to prove her point.

Harry shook his head smiling. "No, Lily. It's always been her, your mum, the one I loved, and still love more than myself"

The girl seemed taken aback, and kept looking from him to Hermione, not knowing what to say.

"But my mum loved my dad" she said then. "And she stopped loving him"

"That, sweetheart, is because I realized I did not truly love him. As Harry said, true love is lasting, but crushes and similar crumble with time" Hermione interjected.

Lily nodded thoughtfully. Then she looked at Harry in realization. "So you became evil because my mum was with my dad and not with you"

Harry nodded. "It's not something I'm proud of, Lily. It is one of the stupid things I mentioned love can make you do. You must understand that I've not had the best of youths, with my relatives mistreating me and Voldemort trying to kill me since I was one. So, I managed to grow a compassionate young man, but I saw people I loved leave me year after year, dead. My godfather, Sirius Black, then my mentor, Dumbledore. It left in me anger, added to the one I built up in the years for my evil relatives. When I saw your parents together, it was the last straw. Seeing the person I loved the most abandoning me for my best friend pushed all the hate and anger I had in me to the surface" he ended sighing.

"Well, I think for tonight this is enough. This little lady has to have her nightly sleep if she wants to grow up pretty and smart" Hermione said, tucking Lily under her blankets.

The little girl yawned, as to confirm what her mother was saying, and Harry smiled. "We will talk more tomorrow, if you wish" he said, giving her a kiss on the cheek, and leaving with Hermione in tow.

For the first time since her parents divorced, Lily slept really well, starting to believe in love again.

In the living room, Hermione and Harry sat, sipping Butterbeers.

"Thanks, Harry. I think your talk may be the thing she needed. You provided examples of the power of love, and maybe she will get it" she said, leaning in his embrace.

"It was the least I could do, since the scare of tonight was provoked by me kissing you" he said, stroking her hair lovingly. They stayed that way some time, then he left for his own flat, although he would have loved to sleep there with her, but maybe it was still too early for Lily to accept that.

In the next days Lily seemed more open toward the possibility of Harry and Hermione dating, and loving each other. Harry kept talking with her, giving her all the examples he could of the power of love, in its various forms.

Slowly she started actually enjoying his presence.

One Sunday, she woke up in he room, and walking into the kitchen where Hermione was fixing breakfast, she sleepily sat.

"Where's Harry?" she asked.

"He had things to attend for the homeless children foundation he has been setting up, so I don't think he will be able to join us today" her mother said.

"Oh" the girl said, dejectedly. "I was looking for playing with him in the park, like we do all Sundays…"

Hermione put the cup of tea in front of the little girl, with waffles and pancakes, and jam, and sat near her daughter, sipping her coffee.

"I know. I'll miss him too, but I'm sure he won't be more happy than we are at not seeing us. You know, he keeps talking about how adorable you are, and how much he would like to have a daughter like you" she said, mussing her little girl's hair.

"Really?" Lily said, her eyes sparkling again. "I like him too. I'm not sure still that the two of you should marry one day, but he's cool, and he can do so much things! I would love to ride a broom like he does!"

Hermione laughed. "You're definitely your father's daughter about this! I've always loathed brooms…"

"Speaking of dad, are we going to visit him soon? It's been lots since I've seen him" she said.

"I'm sure he and Luna will be more than happy to see you too. Maybe we could go visit them today, since Harry's busy elsewhere"

"That would be wonderful!" Lily said.

So they did. As predicted, Ron and Luna were glad to have them, and Lily could see her father was really happy now, even more than when he was with her mother. Hermione, as well, had a new glow since she and Harry had become an item. Lily was smart, and she picked up on this.

Maybe love was not so bad after all.

All day she played with her dad, and when going home she blurted out the question she was mulling over from days.

"Mum, if you and Harry marry, will he be my daddy?"

"No, well, in a way he will, but your natural father will always be Ron. Although Harry will consider you like his own little girl, and spoil you, so I would have to restrain him on that" she joked.

Hermione was glad her daughter was coming around and was starting to consider the chance of her marrying Harry. Because it was definitely something she hoped would happen soon.

A couple months later, Lily's birthday came. Harry organized a party for her, and she had so much fun with all her relatives and her parents' friends there. Then the moment of opening the gifts came, and she got some new books for which she was more than glad, and a mini broom from Harry.

He winked at her. "I don't think your mother is so happy at me right now, but I think you should definitely learn flying soon" he said, while chuckling at Hermione's stern expression.

"Don't worry, I'll make her forgive you" she said, kissing him on the cheek. "Thanks, this is wonderful" she said then, thinking that her mother was right. Harry was really going to spoil her, and even without marrying Hermione!

However, he did have programs on that. He was just waiting to let the little girl adjust to the idea. Three months later, when he reckoned the time was right, he convinced Hermione to let Lily stay with her grandparents for one night, and took her to a nice restaurant in Muggle London.

They placed their order, and then chatted happily through dinner.

"So, what's this night out for?" she asked, sipping her wine.

"Nothing, just thought we could enjoy a nice dinner" he said, caressing her hand lovingly. "I know this last period has been stressful for you"

"Yes, it has, but you've been of great help. With Lily too. By the way, how is your foundation going?"

"Well, I've set up all the necessary paperwork, it has been approved, and now in a couple months we're going to open. There are already ten orphans ready to be placed in it"

"That's great news, Harry! I'm so proud of you!" she squealed.

"Well, it's you who had the idea, so I should, once again, thank you" he said, looking straight into her eyes. She gulped at the emotion and love she saw in them, and took a sip of her wine.

At the end of the dinner, he took a small box from his pocket and got on one knee.

"Hermione Jane Granger, will you marry me?" he asked, opening the box to reveal a white gold band with a single diamond in the middle, and two small emeralds on its sides.

She couldn't speak, tears welling in his eyes. He stayed there, nervously.

"Look, if you don't want to, it's ok, I mean, we can wait…" he started, but was silenced by her lips crashing on his own, a passionate kiss being her answer to him.

"Yes, I'll marry you" she said then, once they parted.

He grinned and slid the ring on her finger.

Next day, Lily spotted the ring on her mother's hand.

"Mum, that ring…does it mean what I think it means?" she asked, hopefully.

"If you think it means Harry and I are going to marry, yes, it does" her mother replied, grinning.

The girl squealed excitedly. Few months ago she would have loathed such a development, but now she had regained her trust in love thanks to Harry, and was more than happy for it to happen.

"Please, can I be part of the ceremony?" she asked.

"Of course. You'll be a wonderful flower girl" her mother said, kissing her on the cheek.

The wedding was set for mid July. Harry chose Ron to be his best man, Hermione asked Ginny to be the maid of honor. The wedding party was completed with Neville and Seamus being the other groomsmen, and Lavender and Luna being the other two bridesmaid. Lily would be the flower girl, as her mother had promised her.

The preparations made Hermione nervous, and her mother tried to help as much as she could, but the fact was there were differences in opinions between her and her daughter. For example, the color of the dresses of the wedding party. Hermione wanted them pink, her mother peach. In the end it was decided for pink.

Then there was to decorate Hogwarts, where the ceremony would be held. And the cake to buy, and other thousands of things to settle…

Finally, the day came, and with it the worry over the preparations came to a stop. That did not mean the nervousness was finished, in fact Harry, in his black tuxedo, kept pacing.

"Ease up, mate" Ron said him. "She's not going anywhere. You'll marry her, and you'll live happily together"

"It's easy for you to say, Ron, but you're not the one in my position"

"No, in fact. I've already been there two times, and it is enough, thanks" the redhead retorted playfully. "Just one thing" he added then turning serious. "Don't hurt her or I'll kick your arse"

"I don't plan to" Harry said.

Then, he moved to his place in front of the altar set in the grounds. Soon later, the wedding march sounded, and Hermione came, accompanied by her father. She was wearing a simple white dress, sleeveless and with a partly bare back. The V-neck didn't plunge too deep, and a couple small white roses were pinned in her hair, which was fixed in an elegant chignon. Just a couple tendrils adorned her face, while her head was covered by a light veil. Harry's breath caught in his throat seeing her, and even more when she smiled at him.

Finally she reached the spot near him.

"Who gives this witch away?" the officer said.

"I, her father, do" Mr. Granger said.

Then the ceremony started.

"We're here to celebrate the joining in marriage of Harry and Hermione. If someone wishes to speak against this union, speak now or stay silent forever"

No one uttered a word, so he continued.

"Harry, speak your vows"

"Hermione, I've loved you since our Hogwarts days. Maybe I waited too much before telling you, and things got between us, but I never stopped loving you. You've been my rock in the hard times, and you pushed me forward when I wanted to surrender. I owe you so much, Hermione, and I love you more than myself"

Then it was Hermione's turn.

"Harry, I too loved you since Hogwarts. I feared you would not love me back, so I convinced myself I didn't, and as you said, things kept us parted. But, now nothing can separate us. I love you, Harry, for the noble man you've always been in your heart, even in the darkest hours of your life"

Then they were given the rings, to place them on the other's finger.

"Hermione, with this ring I thee wed" Harry said, sliding it on her trembling finger. He was shaking a bit himself.

"Harry, with this ring I thee wed" she said, copying his actions.

"Harry, you may kiss your bride" the officer said. And so he did, lifting her veil gently, and meeting her lips in the sweetest of kisses. Cheers erupted in the crowd, and clapping of hands too.

An huge banquet ensued in the Great Hall, and Ron had a field day with that. Then, dances were held.

Harry and Hermione, as tradition, opened them, and were soon joined by their guests. Harry danced with Lily too, making the little girl giggle in excitement.

Soon the ceremony was over, and they Apparated to their flat with Lily.

"I'm so happy we are all a family now" she said, hugging her new "father".

"I'm glad too, honey. I've always dreamt to have a family one day, and now this dream has come true" he said, grinning at her and mussing her hair.

Hermione watched them interact happy of having found such a man in her life.


-->