Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Another Job by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Another Job

jms granger

Disclaimer: Dude, Harry Potter ain't even the main character! So not Jk Rowling like!

Just Another First Day

Joel popped out of the fire, his head and stomach both spinning from the Floo Powder, a way of travelling he never liked much. All weekend he had been relaxing, his thoughts drifting between his new job and the bliss of nothingness. Remembering how proud his father was, and how worried his mother was, he looked around the room in purposeful determination, seeing Tom the old barkeep he gave a small nod and made his way towards the door. He had always liked the Leaky cauldron, the dark and anonymity of the place suited him perfectly, and on most of his trips to London with his parents he would sit in here for hours, just sitting in silence as he watched the world go by. Naturally his parents thought he was off meeting his friends, and was teased by his father that he was with a girl, but that was never the case, he just enjoyed being alone in a place so busy.

He felt a tap on his shoulder, he thought it might have been the first one but he wasn't sure, he had been off in his head again and for all he knew the person might have been trying to get his attention for the last minute, longer even. Turning around he instantly noticed the person stood in front of him, a girl he had worked with in potions at Hogwarts in year 7, Sophie Wolfe.

`Bout time you realized!' she said brightly, her eyes doing the smiling for her mouth `So what are you doing here, Joel?' she asked curiously, eyeing him with puzzlement. Sophie knew him more than most out of the people at Hogwarts, and thus didn't expect to see him dressed up walking through the Leaky Cauldron on a Monday morning.

`Got myself a Job' he stated shrugging, mildly surprised that Sophie had remembered his name `What are you doing here?' she was never the most punctual of people at Hogwarts, especially in the mornings.

`Same as you' she said brightly, shaking her head slightly leaving the puzzlement behind and seeming happy `Shall we get the work talk over with first, like real adults?' she said cheekily flashing him a mischievous smile, Joel thought for a moment and thought that was a good idea, even though he couldn't think what a second conversation could be about, so he nodded `Good! I've got a job at a security firm, you know potions and stuff… cant really talk too much about it' Joel tried to work out if it was just a coincidence that they started work on the same day, seemingly at the same place, and realized that the job must have needed two people.

`Is it at Enigma Drive?' he asked, her eyes shot him a suspicious glance, and he was sure that he noticed her hand moving slightly towards her wand. He reasoned that, being a Slithering and all, she did have problems with suspicion and things, and if he was right about her job then she had a right to be. He wished he was a little more paranoid like her, it would probably be for the better.

`Yeah…how did you know that?' she asked, her hand was almost on her wand now, clever girl she was being ready in case anything went wrong like they so often did in his spy novels, obviously this job meant a lot to her just like it did for him.

`I'm working there too!' he said brightly, it would be good to know someone at his new job `took the interview Friday and starting today'

`Really?' she said, her eyes wide with shock, she must be finding it as strange as him, he reasoned.

`Yep… how strange is it that Mr. Snape is one of our bosses!' he said, trying to bring a bit of normality back to her. He watched as her eyes moved quickly over him, trying to take in this new information, he watched as she scrunched up her big green eyes like she was checking she was actually awake before opening them again with a look of wonder and happiness filling them. Laughing she took him by the arm and led him towards the door, light laughter coming from her the whole time.

As they left the pub, Joel being led by Sophie, he looked around at all the muggles making their way too work. Being a full blooded wizard he was always surprised at the muggle world, how they were able to do the most complex of things without magic. He noticed as a man left his `automobile' and closing the door behind him before clicking a small button on his keys to put the `alarm' on. God, muggles were fascinating he thought to himself, he use to love muggle studies at Hogwarts.

`I had no idea you were the kind of wizard for this job!' Sophie said, still chuckling to herself as she led him down another road. He had to agree with her, out of a list of possible jobs he could have seen himself doing, working in a security company was very low on the list. And no one he knew would ever believe that he would be working for the war effort, that he was working for a `secret service' of sorts, just like those novels.

`Well its something I believe in, we can't let them win this war can we? Other wise where would our kind be?' he stated confidently, remembering his third year when the chamber of secrets had been opened and the muggle borns were being attacked, he couldn't understand how people could hate them for nothing.

`Exactly!' she exclaimed excitedly `dirty disgraces to the name of wizards!' Joel shifted to his side to avoid a `lamppost' as they made their way down a small back street. He was a little surprised that she felt so strongly against the dark wizard, he knew she was a good person and all, but he wasn't so distant from things at Hogwarts that he didn't realize what people said about the Slytherins. They all seemed very wrong now, Sophie seemed to be passionate and truthful about her hatred, and Snape was the boss against them. Slytherins, so far, seemed to be the only people he had seen actually doing something to stop you-know-who, although he had to concede he hadn't noticed too much of what had actually been going on so far.

`Yeah…so what's your job title?' he asked, shooting her a sideways glance, seeing that she was concentrating on where she was leading him.

`Administration Assistant' she said, edging the pair of them between a fat muggle woman who was seemingly shouting orders at a dog `Didn't know they were taking on two people for it, though…' she said deep in contemplation.

`Me neither' he said smiling, as he found that surprise quite pleasant `but it does make sense, I mean we don't want…people…like the ministry or whatever… finding out, and we haven't even signed our contract yet!' she thought for a moment and then laughed out loud, pulling him low under a ladder as they carried on their march.

`You are full of surprises, aren't you Joel?' she asked teasingly, giving him a funny look `I always thought you were just some dippy Hufflepuff!'

`You were probably right…' he agreed, accepting that he usually did fill that title pretty well. His acceptance made her laugh even more though, and give his arm a little squeeze.

`We're nearly there now' she said stopping her laughter and looking back to where she was leading them.

`Where is that?' he asked, he realized he didn't know where she was leading him too, and for what purpose, he was surely going to have to practice being more security conscious in future. She, though, let out a little laugh and stopped outside a large building, spotlessly white and looking a bit like some muggle offices he had seen in one of his text books.

`Work, silly' she said, letting go of his arm and walking fast towards the door. He paused for a moment to have a better look at his new job, the building did look a scarily lot like that textbook picture, except that all the windows were tinted black which he knew must be for security reasons, but nonetheless gave the building a bit of a gloomy look.

He jogged slightly to catch up with her, and walked through the main doors at the same time, both taking in the excitement of their new lives working for the war effort.

*

As he sat in his office, slowly cutting up root of asphodel, he let his mind wander to what had already happened. He had been met by Mr. Pettigrew at reception and him and Sophie had been led to his office, all red and gold but with a little too much black to make it comfortable. He was slightly disappointed to see how well Mr. Pettigrew and Sophie got on at first, while he was left without even a handshake. But fortunately at the same time as Mr. Pettigrew was making a particularly lame joke about the state of bezoars and goats, Joel noticed that Mr. Pettigrew had actually gotten a hairpiece, and couldn't help his laughter as he thought that maybe his thoughts had made this happen, and the fact that it was an atrociously tacky hair piece made him laugh even louder. Fortunately Mr. Pettigrew took this as him laughing at his joke and brightened up towards him, shaking his hand before giving both of them their contracts. Joel knew that he should read the contract but when he did he noticed the words instantly slipping from his mind, so he just signed it anyway and handed it straight back to him. Sophie had done the same, which earned some sexist joke from Mr. Pettigrew about getting `straight to business', and while Sophie laughed at this to him, behind his back she pretended to gag to Joel, making him break out in laughter, strangely enough just at the right time to make it look like he had laughed at another of Mr. Pettigrew's' lame jokes.

Mr. Pettigrew took them to another room, obviously used for potion brewing and the such as there were many cauldrons and strange contraptions on the wall. He chuckled slightly as he thought how similar some of these looked to torture equipment that muggles had come up, muggles often got the magical world wrong, although he had to wonder how they knew what these things looked like even though they were wrong about there uses. Here they were told that their formal training would have to wait, Mr. Snape and Mrs. Bellatrix were away on a mission of great importance, but that there was a lot of Veritaserum in demand and that they should take a cauldron and Pettigrew would show them the store room, and then take them to their individual offices. Joel's heart both jumped and sighed at hearing this, he wasn't going to be working directly with Sophie all day, but on the plus side he actually had his OWN office. He couldn't wait to tell his parents, his mother would cry her heart out, although she'd probably do that anyway.

So here he was now, in his own office making Veritaserum. He looked around his office, thinking of what he might do to brighten it up. He decided that some photos were in order, and a few posters of Puddlemere United would be nice. Maybe he'd be allowed to bring in his own chair, a more comfortable one which he could rest in while he waited for the next step in his potion making. He wondered what Sophie would do with her room, probably something a bit gothic. He had once thought that her slight gothic craze was a little spooky, but now he realized that having your dorms in the basement like the Slytherins' did was bound to rub of on you, and at least Sophie still seemed to like some bright colour, just also liking to wear black with it. He tried to think hard and remember who she had gone with to the Christmas ball in fifth year but found that he couldn't remember. That evening he had gone with Kate McBride and had been so nervous about messing it up that he had messed it up anyway. He forgot how he messed it up, probably just by being himself. But the more he thought about it the more confused he was, but why was he spending so much time thinking about her…probably best not to dwell on these thoughts.

`Thinking bout me?' the words brought him back out of his mind, panicking slightly his first reaction was to look at his watch, he was lucky, it was just the right time to add the Asphodel to the potion, which he instantly did. Looking up he saw Sophie standing in the doorway, giving him a smile.

`Oh, hi Sophie' he blundered `Coming in?'

`Nope' she said simply, shaking her head ever so slightly from one side to the other, her loose golden blonde hair shaking back and forth `You come out, it's lunch break' she said nicely. He looked at his watch and realized that it was already one o' clock.

`Time does fly…' he said getting up and putting on his jacket, before walking over to her `So where to?'

`Its London, Joel, there's a hundred restaurants and cafes…lets have a little adventure!' she said, her green eyes brightening up with an excited gleam. And with that she took him by the arm and pulled him through the doors.

*

`So, how about we be adults for, say, 5 minutes, then we can have some fun?' she asked, and Joel was amazed at how often the mischievous glint could appear in someone's eyes so often without causing some sort of permanent retina damage.

`Sounds good' he replied, thinking desperately for something adult-like to say, he wanted a new suave confidence to match his job, but had found himself lacking a little `How's the Veritaserum coming along?' he shook himself for a poor attempt.

`Good, I guess…' she said distracted, before leaning in like she was to share a conspiracy `What a pervert that Pettigrew is!' Joel looked at her incredulously and she smirked `Ok Ok, I know I said we were going to be adults for five minutes, but your riveting Veritaserum line was enough to prove me wrong!' she teased, making Joel laugh, and get comfortable.

`Yeah, Pettigrew was all over you, a little disappointed I didn't get the attention though!' he said mock upset making her laugh `His chubby hand on my leg would of made my day!' now Sophie was laughing out loud, Joel could tell she was imagining Pettigrew feeling him up.

`I think he likes us blondes!' she said with a flick of her hair `Could you believe his wig?' she said laughing, looking up at the ceiling of the café like it was a film of it up there. Joel laughed and told her the story about what he was thinking and what Mrs. Lestrange had said, Sophie was almost crying through tears.

`So that's …what your… laughter was for?' Sophie said between catching her breathe, which Joel simply nodded at. The pair of them paused for a moment, while a comfortable silence fell over the café and the pair. Joel looked around, the café was full of muggle couples, most of them laughing and joking between themselves, Joel could tell these were newly made relationships, the awkward phase where you always have to be laughing still gripping them. He paused as he looked at another couple who were simply sitting in silence, each doing their own thing, comfortable with just being in each others company. This was the kind of pair he liked, the kind of relationship he was hopeful to one day be in. He had had a few relationships at Hogwarts, and was by no means bad with girls, but he never got past the constant talking and touching phase and into something comfortable, and he knew that he would be a lot better at the slower pace. He couldn't make out the faces of the couple, he could only see the dark raven hair of the back of the boys face as he looked over his menu, and the book the girl was reading covered everything but her big brown bushy hair. They looked at peace, and this made Joel smile.

He brought his eyes back to Sophie, looking into her green eyes. She had a playful smile on her face, but seemed to be miles away in her own thoughts, which by the dream like look on her eyes seemed to be a fun place. He looked around him, his food hadn't come yet and had already been about 10 minutes, so he couldn't place why. Thinking on this he remembered that muggles didn't have magic, or house elves to prepare the food and that waiting was necessary for them. Even `fast food' took its time and needed a wait. He looked back at Sophie, whose eyes were now on him, a curious look in her eyes.

`You're very different to when you were at school' she said directly, she had always been a very honest person and would ask these types of direct questions quite regularly, although she never did it nastily and always when they were alone `You know that? You're nothing like how I remember you…' Joel couldn't see how he had changed really, just the fact that he no longer went to Hogwarts and had this job.

`Is that a compliment?' he asked seriously, he really hoped that he wasn't worse than before, especially as he wasn't much to begin with.

`I'm not sure yet' she said with a cheeky smile, which disappeared as their food came, brought by a pretty waitress. They got their food ready, Joel had just had a salad and some soup, while Sophie had ordered a lasagne `Oooh, I hate to admit it but these muggles do know how to cook…So, are you going to take the living arrangements they've set up?' she asked, looking away from him. Joel had thought about this a lot and had made up his mind.

`I think so…' he said `I think I'll move all my stuff up to the place on the weekend, easier that way…' he didn't mention that he was putting it off because he would miss his parents' sudden change towards him.

`I'm moving my stuff up tonight…' she said looking at him `It'll be weird living in London, you'll be the only person I really know…' Joel couldn't help but feel his heart leap slightly at that, he would have a friend in his new life.

`You'll be my only, as well' he said, which Sophie seemed to blush slightly at, Joel just shook this off and carried on `I'm from Dorset, so my family are a bit away. Anyway people from Hogwarts are scattered everywhere, I'm sure you'll know more people here…'

`Yeah, I guess so' she said shrugging, eating her way through her lasagne. Joel watched as her eyes darted over the couples in the restaurant, coming to a dead stop on the couple that had attracted him, the comfortable couple. Looking over at them for a moment he saw they were in conversation although he still couldn't see their faces. The bushy brown hair girl seemed to be doing all the talking why the dark raven haired boy was just sat listening intently. Smiling at them he looked back at Sophie seeing that she had paused for a moment, a hint of something like fear in her eyes. Joel thought that she must also love this kind of couple, otherwise the quiet kind were usually over looked for the big and brass. He smiled thinking strange thoughts of him and Sophie being like that couple, but the thought was cut off as Sophie darted up from her seat suddenly grabbing Joel by the arm and pulling him out of the café. Joel couldn't fathom why she had done this. Thinking on it he assumed it must have upset her somehow, maybe it was a guy she knew, or they reminded her of something. He knew enough to know that women were very complex, and that his brain just didn't work in such a way to be able to work them out completely. Even though, Joel knew it would be careless of him to ask questions, obviously Sophie was hurt or scared and he knew it wasn't any of his business.

Sophie was pulling them quickly along the streets back to work, her eyes darting everywhere around her, looking over her shoulder constantly. Joel thought maybe he had missed something, or that she was just being extra careful now. The spies in his novels worked hard at not being followed back to their base, Sophie was a very bright girl he decided. He joined her in looking around, trying to see the face of every person in the large crowds, but quickly realized he hadn't a clue what to actually be looking for, so decided that Sophie was probably good enough at it for both of them, those Slytherins were very security conscious. She pulled him to a stop outside the building and faced him directly.

`Don't tell anyone about this…' she said in an urgent whisper `And DON'T think about it even!'

`Ok' Joel said although he wasn't sure why.

`We don't want people knowing where we just where… if they knew about it they'd become suspicious, it's only our first day after all… and we definitely don't want them to think we're up to anything!' she said, the panic in her voice was almost painful. Joel understood now. It was obvious now. A guy and a girl going for lunch, alone, people would think they were dating or something. He didn't know if that was even allowed, but he was sure it would probably be frowned upon at the very least. Maybe it was even a sack-able offence!

`I know what you mean…' Joel said quietly, making sure his words weren't over heard. She gave him a hopeful smile and took his arm and led him through the doors, amazing Joel at how composed she suddenly became, making her seem like the perfect spy…

*

Joel arrived home, deciding to Apparate, a lesser of two evils compared to Floo Powder in his opinion. As he checked to see if he was all there he was glad that he would soon be moving, that he might never have to Apparate or Floo again, if he was incredibly lucky. Walking up the garden path, he picked a dandelion from the flowerbed and walked through the door into the kitchen, where he saw his mother and father at the table.

`My baby boy! Back from this first day as a professional businessman!' his mother almost sobbed from joy, while his father put down the paper and beckoned him to sit down.

`How was it, son?' his father asked proudly.

`Great, hard work and all, but still great!' he said happily, giving his mother the dandelion which made her choke a little on her sobs. He picked up an apple from the table and took a bite, feeling the sweet taste fill his mouth and smooth his taste buds.

`Of course it was hard work! But I know you gave it 110% percent! Well done on you, son!' his father said smacking the table with his fist in a celebration.

`Of course, just as you taught me' Joel said, watching as tears started to flood his mothers eyes, tears that he hoped were for joy `And you know what…I have my own office!'

His mother let out a mix between a sob and a yelp in the excitement, while his father hit both his hands down onto the table, his favourite way to celebrate anything amazing.

`I can't believe it! My baby boy is a success!' his mother screamed, leaning across the table to pull him into a hug, his father hammering him proudly on his back.

`My son!' was his choked response.

Joel was feeling elated, unable to understand how much his parents loved him now, just because of a job and a room! But there was no way he was going to complain, hearing their words was perhaps the best thing that had ever happened to him. He got up to make himself some coffee, while his father went back to the paper. He spilt a little bit of the coffee as he was pouring it, and used his wand to clean up, amazed at the fact that some spilt coffee was the worst thing that had happened to him that day! The day was the best of his life.

`Huh…' his father huffed `Those Death Eaters have struck again…murdered some Auror named Kingsley Shacklebolt…sounds like some big mission on their part, they had to be organized to get an Auror!' Joel listened to the words and felt sorry for the man. He hoped Kingsley Shacklebolt had no family, but knew he would still have people who cared about him. People who would miss him now and always.

He helped himself to some toast and sat down on the chair, hoping that he would be allowed to replace the one in his office, a comfortable chair would really be something in his new job.

`There's an owl for you, son' his father said happily `probably your job, needing your advice!'

`Cheers, dad' he said looking up at the golden owl standing proudly at the table. He offered it a bit of his toast, which it hooted at happily before taking, while he undone the letter and opened it to read.

Dear Joel,

Hope your home safe and all. And I'm very happy that it's you who got the job, and even more so that you're moving to London soon. It's a bit lonely here at the moment and I would love the company. I was wondering if you wanted to meet for a coffee before work? Say eight o'clock in the Leaky Cauldron? We could make it our `before work ritual', all adult like! Well, I'll meet you there at 8 then. Have a good evening.

Yours,

Sophie Wolfe

Joel looked at the letter and smiled, when had he ever got a letter from a friend before?

`So what was it?' his father asked suspiciously.

`Just a friend…' he said taking another drink of his coffee, but could see the proud look on his mother and fathers face. His life was definitely heading in the right direction!

*

So that's chapter 2. Hoped you liked it, I enjoyed writing it. And I really do hope that you worked out who the couple were in the café, otherwise this wouldn't have made any sense!

Let me know what you think, if you like the direction the story seems to be heading in, and more importantly what you think of Joel and Sophie.

Thank you for reading!

Jms Granger.


-->