Unofficial Portkey Archive

Consequences by ladylaughalot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Consequences

ladylaughalot

A/N ~ What an amazing motivator guilt is! So you all know I've started another story and updated it twice and this has caused me to feel guilty for neglecting this story. So after far too long you have another update and my sincerest apologies for taking so long.

P.S ~ for those of you who have asked for a little more H/Hr fluff in this fic… you should enjoy this chapter.

Consequences ~ Chapter 7

After the barbeque at the Weasley's life settled down a bit, Hermione found a job working full time at St Mungo's and Matthew spent his day's either with Harry or with the Weasley kids at the Burrow. He liked it best when he was able to spend the day with his father, his dad had a couple of jobs but didn't work full time. He was a starting seeker for the Wimbourne Wasps and they had training most days for a few hours, he also owned an orphanage (or a home for children without parents as he called it) and occasionally he did a bit of undercover work for the Ministry of Magic as an auror. It often happened, especially as it was off season for quidditch, that he had most of the day free and they were able to spend a lot of time together.

Matt and Hermione had been in England for about three months and their routine was fairly well set. Hermione had left for work and Matt and Harry sat together in the kitchen eating breakfast. Harry didn't have training that day so they were going to spend the day together.

`So Matt,' Harry said taking a sip of his morning pumpkin juice, `was there anything in particular you wanted to do today?'

Matt shrugged, `not really.'

`I was thinking that we might want to do something about your bedroom.' Harry suggested picking his toast and taking a bite.

`My room? What's wrong with it?' Matt asked feeling confused.

`Nothing really, I just thought it was a bit boring, I thought you might want to personalise it a bit more.'

Matt was surprised, `Yeah, ok that'd be cool.'

`I thought we might get you a computer and internet as well so you can keep in touch with your friends back home, if you want.'

Matt smiled, `That'd be great thanks Dad.'

Harry smiled back at his son, `Well we should probably get started then.'

They spent the morning experimenting with colours for the walls and moving the furniture around. Eventually they settled on a nice sky blue and added an animated snitch to flutter around the walls. The ceiling Harry charmed so that it would show clouds and sunshine during the day and stars at night, not quite as good as the ceiling of the great hall at Hogwarts he said but Matt thought it was great. They also enlarged the bed so that it was about the size of a double and added a study nook for Matt to put his computer and books. When they were finished they decided to go shopping and get Matt a computer and maybe a few other things as well. Harry apparated them both into the leaky cauldron and then they walked out into Muggle London.

They quickly found a computer store. A sales assistant helped them find a computer for Matt very quickly and they left the store only half an hour later. They still had plenty of time before the shops closed so they decided to keep shopping and see if they could find anything else that Matt might need for his bedroom. They stopped in a sports store and Matt convinced Harry that a basketball and hoop were essential; he'd had to leave his old one behind when they'd moved. When they left the sports store they passed a jewellers and Harry paused looking in the window.

`What are you looking at in there?' Matt asked looking in at the display of glittering jewels.

`I was thinking of getting something for your mother,' Harry replied vaguely distracted by the display of rings.

Matt frowned, `Mum doesn't really wear much jewellery, but she has been talking about a new book that she wants. I'm sure she'd like that more.'

Harry glanced at his son, `How about we get some lunch now Matt? There's something I want to talk to you about.'

`Ok sure, I am a bit hungry.'

They found a hamburger store and bought their meals when they were seated Matt immediately began eating but he noticed that Harry wasn't.

`Is something wrong Dad?' he asked a little worried.

Harry didn't answer straight away but instead unwrapped his burger and took a bite. When he finished chewing he spoke, `Have you been happy Matt, since you came to England?'

`Yeah!' Matt replied enthusiastically, `It's been great meeting you and everyone else that Mum has talked about for years and stuff.'

`What about living with me, you've been happy with that haven't you?' Harry asked concerned.

`Yeah definitely, why?' Matt asked amazed that his Dad could somehow not be aware of how wonderful it had been for him over the last few months.

`Because,' Harry paused and took a deep breath, `I've been thinking about asking your mum to marry me, and I wanted to ask you if you'd be okay with it first, but I've been a bit nervous.' Harry finished in a rush.

`Really?' Matt asked amazed that his Dad got nervous about anything.

`Yeah.' Harry said looking at his son.

`I think that'd be great if you guys got married, then we'd be a real family.' Matt said enthusiastically.

`I think so too, but remember I haven't asked her yet she might not agree.'

`I doubt it,' Matt scoffed, `All my life she thought you were dead and she still never dated at all.'

Harry blushed and looked down at his food, `Well, how about helping me to choose a ring for her then?'

After they finished their lunch they went back to the jewellery store to look at engagement rings. They approached the counter and a sales assistant was with them so quickly she may have apparated.

`Can I help you gentlemen with anything?' she asked smiling at them both.

`We're looking for an engagement ring.' Harry said his eyes fixed on the rings in the cabinet.

`Well we can certainly help you there, have you got a budget in mind?'

`Er… not really, but I don't wan't anything too big.' He seemed uncertain so Matt tried to help.

`Mum doesn't really wear much jewellery so she probably wouldn't like anything too big.'

`Oh, well if she doesn't wear much jewellery then she wouldn't want a claw setting, they tend to catch on clothing, how about some of these?'

She pulled out a tray of rings with small diamonds set into the band. Matt thought that as much as his mother wouldn't like something huge, she'd still want something better than that. He looked at his Dad who seemed to be thinking the same thing.

`I don't know, they seem to be a bit too small, I still want the ring to show how that I love her very much.'

The sales assistant nodded her understanding, `I see what you're saying, we have some over here that are excellent quality diamonds. They are quite a bit larger than what I just showed you but they're not gaudy at all.'

She showed them to a smaller case of rings that all sparkled in the soft light, right in the middle was a ring that Matt immediately thought his mother would love. It was a simple round stone in a setting of white gold with two smaller stones set into the band on either side.

`Dad what about that one?' He asked pointing at the ring that had caught his eye.
`Can we have a closer look at that one?' He asked the lady, she opened the case and laid the ring on velvet cloth. Harry picked up the ring and looked it over then he looked at Matt and smiled.

`It's perfect.'

After they got home and set up Matt's new computer they cleaned the house and started dinner cooking. It was arranged that Matt would spend the evening with Ron, Luna and Katie to give his Dad time alone with his Mum. As much as he knew that his mum would say yes he still wanted to do everything that he could to help everything work out the way his dad. Ron picked him up and they left Harry to get the rest of the preparations ready.

***

Hermione walked in the door and dropped her coat on the rack, she was exhausted after a long day, hopefully Harry and Matt had started dinner already.

`Hello' she called kicking off her shoes and sinking gratefully onto the couch.

`Hi' Harry said sitting next to her and handing her a glass of wine.

`Oh thankyou Harry' Hermione said gratefully accepting the glass and taking a deep sip.

`Is there a special occasion?' she asked

`Not really, I just wanted to spoil you. I've got dinner on and I've run a bubble bath for you. So why don't you take that and soak in the tub for a bit, dinner should be ready in about an hour.'

`Oh,' Hermione said surprised, `Ok then, thankyou'

Harry kissed her tenderly, gently stroking her hair, `you are very welcome'

Hermione headed upstairs to the bathroom and found that not only was a hot bath waiting for her but scented candles were glowing all around the room and rose petals floated on the water. `Well Mr Potter,' she thought, `what have you got planned for this evening?'

Harry was downstairs putting the finishing touches on the table decorations, he wanted everything to be perfect. A bunch of red roses stood in the centre of the table in a crystal vase and crisp white linen adorned the table. He'd even cooked a three course meal starting with a seafood cocktail, then beef Wellington and a crisp garden salad and finishing with chocolate parfait for desert. He knew Hermione loved parfait because she had once commented on it being the most delicious thing on the whole planet. When Hermione went upstairs and got in the bath he put the beef Wellington into the oven and started to clean up the mess he'd made of the kitchen while cooking. He finished and went upstairs to put on something nice, then went back downstairs and put on some music. He chose Norah Jones because he knew how much Hermione loved her music and because it seemed to set the right mood. Then he poured himself a glass of wine to calm his nerves and sat back to wait for Hermione.

He didn't have to wait long, in less than ten minutes she emerged looking refreshed and relaxed. He noticed she'd put on some makeup and she was wearing one her nicest dresses, a little black thing with spaghetti straps and a flared skirt. Harry stood up and went over to her. He put his arms around her and kissed her gently, she retuned his kiss and hugged him tightly.

`You look lovely,' he said his voice husky

`Thankyou, after I saw the bathroom I thought you must have something special planned so I dressed up a little.'

Harry took her hand and led her to the table, `I got you some flowers' he said indicating the roses in the vase.

Hermione smiled, a big beautiful smile, `they're beautiful.'

`Not half as beautiful as you are,' Harry replied smiling back at her.

`Harry!' Hermione said laughing, `You're being very sweet tonight, what's going on? And where is Matt? You haven't got him hiding in his room have you?'

`All in good time my love, and Matt is with Ron and Luna tonight.'

Hermione raised her eyebrows but didn't comment.

Harry smiled at her pleased that she was going to let him keep his surprise, `Well I have prepared a delicious meal for you tonight,' he opened the fridge and took out the entrée he had prepared earlier, `to start we have a seafood cocktail.'

`Oh that looks delicious Harry,' Hermione said delighted with all the trouble he'd gone too.

He knew that she probably had a very good idea of what was going on but as the meal progressed she didn't say anything to give away what she might have guessed, though she did get a funny little smile on her face when he brought out dessert.

When they were finished with their meal Hermione smiled at him again, `That was wonderful Harry, you really didn't need to go to so much trouble, but I do appreciate it.'

`Well, the night isn't over yet.' He said trying to maintain a bit of mystique.

Hermione raised an eyebrow, `You mean there's more?' she asked sounding only a little surprised.

Harry smiled and leaned across the table to capture her hand in his, `Hermione, I love you, I've always loved you. Even when you were gone for ten years and I wasn't sure if you'd be coming back or not I still loved you and I never gave up hope that someday you'd be back and I'd be able to tell you that.'

Hermione smiled and squeezed his hand, `I know, I love you too Harry.'

Harry stood up then and reaching into the pocket of his trousers drew out the ring box from his pocket, Hermione's gasp of indrawn breath told him that perhaps she hadn't really expected this after all. Harry dropped to his knee before her, took her hand again and looked up into her sparkling eyes.

`I've been so happy Hermione, with you and Matt since you came back. I've never been happier before in my life and I know that there is only one thing that could make me happier than I am now and that is to be able to call you my wife.' He opened the ring box and showed her the ring that he had selected earlier that day with Matt's help. `Will you marry me Hermione?'

Hermione couldn't speak so she just nodded. She sank to her knees with Harry, wrapped him in the tightest embrace she could give and sobbed into his shoulder. Harry could felt her tears and hugged her back, `Don't cry Hermione, this is supposed to be a happy moment, please don't be sad.'

`I'm not sad, I'm so happy, I…' she broke off her sentence to kiss him, `Until three months ago I thought you were dead, I never would have thought that this moment was possible except in my wildest of dreams. You've given me everything I ever wanted.' She sobbed kissing him again. Harry kissed her back, `Come on let's get up off the floor and you can show me what your ring looks like on.'

Hermione smiled through her tears and they stood up together. Harry slid the ring onto her finger.

`It's beautiful, I love it' Hermione whispered tears still sparkling in her eyes.

Harry drew her close for another kiss, `It suits you then. You're beautiful and I love you.'

***

A/N ~ There you are some H/Hr fluff for this fic at long last. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope my silly movie reference didn't spoil it for you. If it did I apologise, I just couldn't resist. Please review.


-->