Unofficial Portkey Archive

Confession in an Echo by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Confession in an Echo

jardyn39

Confession in an Echo

by Jardyn39

Summary

After she had just thrown her intended date out, Hermione is pleasantly surprised when Harry turns up to take her out to a birthday dinner. Claiming that Ron has forbidden him to return home before dawn, Harry admits that unknown to almost everyone he has finally got himself a job she might approve of and attempts to use an echoing tune from their past to confess something more. Post Hogwarts.

or

Hermione, finding herself suddenly and unexpectedly alone on her birthday, is pleasantly surprised when Harry turns up. Having spent so long fruitlessly trying to persuade him to think about a career, it comes as something of a shock to learn that he has secretly gained respectable employment. Harry also seems intent upon telling her something more, but perhaps his gift will only serve to remind her of something lost. Post Hogwarts.

Confession in an Echo

Hermione Granger closed the front door to her flat and caught a glimpse of her reflection in the full-length wall mirror beside the coat hooks in the hallway.

Her expression, she noted, continued to be one of bemused astonishment.

She paused a moment to look at herself more carefully. The hallway to her small flat was dark but a lantern outside shone through the glazed side window to give her a flattering golden look.

The evening she had made meticulous preparations for had just ended before it had even began. She had been so looking forward to it too; at least, that is what she had told everyone.

Hermione wondered what had provoked the sudden argument. He'd even brought flowers this time, she reminded herself, looking down at the conspicuously empty vase on the stand beside her. If she had remembered the vase was there, she might have thrown that too.

She frowned. The flowers had been wonderful, but such a waste. She rather regretted throwing them after him, even if she didn't particularly regret his departure.

Hermione realised that this notion probably should have upset her more than it actually did, particularly given the positive comments she had been making lately to everyone.

Perhaps she would be able to retrieve a couple of stems later from the common landing and stairs outside her front door. Not now though. She was a little too embarrassed about all the shouting to risk meeting any of her neighbours just yet.

Hermione sighed and made an unnecessary adjustment to the styled hair it had taken her ages to do. She'd even left early from work so she wouldn't have to rush herself.

She looked down at her outfit, wondering if Ginny's recommendation might not have been better than the rather plainer dress she decided at the last minute to wear. No, she decided, the black dress was plain but definitely the better choice. She would have spent all evening blushing in Ginny's choice; and praying the clasps didn't fail.

She wondered vaguely whether it wasn't too late to go over to her parents for the rest of the evening.

This idea was dismissed as quickly as it came.

She had told her mother about her plans for this evening and Hermione was becoming just a little sensitive about remarks about her love life lately. Unfortunately, she wasn't quite ready for an I told you so moment with her mother yet.

Maybe she could catch up with Ginny and Luna; except she had no idea where they would be.

Hermione groaned, remembering how disappointed they had been when she told them she was standing them up for her date this evening. She had guiltily wondered afterwards if they hadn't already got tickets for somewhere as it was her birthday, although they hadn't mentioned anything.

It looked like a trip to the local Chinese takeaway was in order, but then she remembered she had no Muggle money at all in the flat.

Hermione knew the only thing that was edible in the flat was Crookshanks' tinned cat food.

She scrunched up her face and decided to go off in search of Ginny and Luna. They were bound to be in one of their usual Friday night haunts. She could bear their jokes at her expense for one night.

She wondered if she had time to change again. By her standards she was positively over-dressed.

Hermione glanced down at her watch and saw it was just after seven o'clock.

She froze in shock.

Her watch!

No wonder Richard had been so upset with her.

The tiny jewelled timepiece had been an early birthday present, complete with a delicate gold bracelet chain with decorative hanging pendants. Unfortunately, the watch she had selected to wear on their date to celebrate her actual birthday was her favourite; the watch that Harry had given her.

Hermione snorted with laughter and clasped a hand over her mouth to stop herself laughing out loud, as if afraid someone would hear her.

Hermione still cringed when she remembered her reaction when Richard had presented it to her. He'd been hinting for ages that he was going to buy her something special, but she had been distinctly nettled that the watch he'd chosen for her was so wildly at odds with her own tastes.

It seemed so impractical. The chain was either so loose it kept falling off or so tight it hurt. The watch seemed to be charmed to rotate around her wrist to make it awkward to read and in any event the dial was so small it was almost impossible to read. She'd also lost count of the clothes she'd ruined by snagging herself with the pendants. Once, she even managed to accidentally snag one of Ginny's cardigans too with the horrid thing.

She remembered Luna asking why she still carried both watches around with her. Hermione had thought the answer to that was pretty obvious since she needed to tell the time and the new watch hardly did that. She also had to carry Richard's watch in case she bumped into him.

Hermione stroked the crystal face fondly.

She remembered how touched she had been when Harry had given her this watch. It was a plain gold watch with a large clear dial. It had been just what she wanted.

Harry always managed to give her things she loved.

Hermione jumped about a foot in the air when the doorbell rang. Her heart was still pounding when she opened the door and cautiously peered out.

"Harry?"

"Hermione, are you okay?" he asked with concern.

"You gave me a start, that's all. I was just standing right by the bell."

"Sorry," he said with a smile and Hermione opened the door fully.

"Are you on your way out, Hermione?"

"I was just deciding, why?"

"Well, all your lights are turned off and you look dressed to kill."

"Oh. No, my plans were changed at the last moment. Actually, I was about to go and find Ginny and Luna."

"They have dinner dates," said Harry, bringing his arm from behind his back. "They made plans after you said you couldn't go on your usual Friday night pub crawl."

Hermione laughed and said, "We do not go on a pub crawl!"

"That's only because you must have been banned from so many places!" he retorted with a grin. "See what I found? There was a trail of them right to your door."

He was holding the remains of the flowers.

"Um, they were for me," admitted Hermione. "They were Richard's, but I'm afraid I threw them after him."

She made to take them but Harry immediately threw them back over his shoulder. The flowers hit the polished timber handrail at the top of the balustrade and tumbled back down the open stairs, only this time there were a few more petals flying about.

"Harry! They'll get even more dishevelled!"

"You don't want them, Hermione."

"Well, they looked nice once and, believe it or not, they were the highlight of my evening."

"What?" he said with mock indignity. "You mean I'm not the highlight of your evening?"

Hermione laughed and said, "Well, you are a close second if that's any comfort to you."

Harry smiled and said, "Happy Birthday, Hermione."

"Thank you, Harry. What are you doing here, anyway?"

"Ron threw me out."

"Again? I think he's forgotten that you own that place, Harry."

""Well, he did have a good excuse this time. Anyway, he sent me out on a mission."

"A mission? What kind of mission?"

"I'm not entirely sure. I wasn't really listening. I did get the bit about not coming back before dawn, though."

Hermione tutted.

"So, are you officially in residence tonight or not?"

"You are welcome to stay, Harry, but there's no food."

"That's okay. I can survive on beer for one night."

"No beer either, Harry. You and Ron drank it all for me."

"We had to do that, Hermione. Those bottles had less than a year before the best before dates expired. We were only thinking of your well-being."

"As always," said Hermione, rolling her eyes.

Harry grinned back at her.

"Harry, is that suit new? You look terribly smart."

"Come on, hurry up and get your coat or we'll be late for our table," he said.

"What table?"

*

They exited the building entrance and Harry opened the door to the black taxi that had been waiting for them.

A dog growled from the shadows making them both look around.

"Do you think that's a lost dog?" asked Hermione.

"Let's not worry about stray dogs tonight, Hermione. I'm sure it has a home to go to."

She climbed inside the cab and Harry got in and sat next to her before giving the name of the restaurant.

"Okay, Guv," replied the cab driver.

*

The doorman opened the door and bowed them into the crowded Muggle restaurant. Hermione only remembered when she saw the entrance that Harry had taken the six of them there once before.

All she remembered about this place was that it was discrete, served wonderful meals and obscenely expensive.

The maitre d' appeared from nowhere and immediately directed them to the crowded bar where they could wait for their table to be prepared.

Harry handed their coats in at the cloakroom and then guided Hermione through to a corner of the cramped L shaped bar.

"Harry, how ever did you get a table?"

He smiled back at her and said, "I'm sorry it's so crowded. I don't think we'll get a seat here in the bar but the table should be free soon."

Hermione was just about to point out the two intoxicated Westminster politicians she recognised sitting in the corner when Harry reached out and gently pulled her towards him as a group of eager diners squeezed by them.

"What will you have to drink?" he whispered into her ear. "The usual?"

"Hm?"

Hermione blushed deeply and pulled herself away, realising she had stayed rather close to Harry even though there was plenty of room now.

She barely heard Harry order their drinks.

"Here," he said gently, sliding over to her a glass of chilled white wine on a paper coaster.

"Thanks."

"Here's to you," said Harry, raising his glass. "Happy Birthday."

Hermione smiled and sipped her wine.

"So, who stood you up?"

Harry chuckled and shook his head.

"I promise, I was only thinking of you when I booked the table. Ginny and Neville will only be slightly disappointed. I promised them the table if we didn't need it."

"When did you book it?"

"A while ago."

"Harry, why didn't you say?"

"I was happy just to be on standby. Actually, I was going to say something except Ron advised against it."

"Ron?"

"Well, he kind of overheard Ginny and Luna gossiping about you."

"Go on."

"I'm not sure I should."

Hermione narrowed her eyes dangerously.

"Mr Potter? Your table is ready. Would you like to come through?"

"Ha!" said Harry with a grin. "Perfect timing."

They left their glasses on the marble top bar and followed the maitre d' to their table.

*

Harry leaned forward and said quietly, "Just say if you'd like me to order for you."

Hermione tried valiantly to scowl at him over her menu but soon snorted with laughter.

"You heard, then?"

Harry chuckled and nodded, lowering his own menu.

"Ron isn't the only one who listens to gossip."

"Honestly, I can see I'll have to have words with Ginny and Luna."

"Well, okay. Mind you, then you'll have to tell me all about your adventures yourself."

"I can assure you they exaggerate everything."

"Even about menu selection?" he quipped.

"Well, maybe not about that," she admitted with a grin. "I did kind of go a bit mad. Honestly, if he thought I'd be impressed by him deciding what I wanted to eat he's severely mistaken."

"That was part of what Ginny was saying, I think."

"How do you mean?"

"She told us how you came back and raged on for three hours solid about-"

"Hardly three hours, Harry," interrupted Hermione. "Two and a half hours at tops."

Harry's smile seemed a little false.

"Ginny thought it was significant that you didn't take it out on Dopey. In fact, you didn't let him know at all that you were upset."

Hermione smiled. Harry and Ron both made a point to never, ever, refer to anyone she was romantically attached to by their real names.

"So?"

"So," continued Harry carefully, his smile almost gone now, "she seemed to think that you were serious about this one."

"You make it sound like there have been dozens."

"Are you?" Harry asked seriously.

Hermione looked down, genuinely unsure how to answer. She had been asking herself the same thing for some time now.

Harry reached out and gently stroked the back of her hand.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "It's your business and all I wanted was for you to enjoy a happy birthday."

Hermione smiled at him and nodded.

*

Hermione tried discretely pointing out some of the minor television celebrities who were also dining that evening, but soon gave up. Harry was hopeless at recognising any of them and seemed to prefer to remain oblivious to anyone but her.

During their meal Hermione described enthusiastically the projects she was involved with at work. She knew she had the ability to bore people stupid with her trials obtaining budget approvals; indeed, Ron had threatened to jinx her if she even mentioned her work again in front of him.

Harry, though, seemed more than happy to listen to her.

"I'm glad your Dad seems to be so much better," said Harry as they waited to be tempted by the sweet trolley.

"Yes, he is improving," agreed Hermione. "Er, how did you know, Harry?"

Hermione had no idea that Harry even knew her father had hurt his foot a few weeks ago. He hadn't been seriously hurt but he'd been frustrated through not being able to drive or tend his garden for a while.

"I saw them last week. Your Mum called to remind you not to forget to RSVP your invitation. We got talking and she mentioned some things she wanted to sort out for a local bring and buy and I volunteered to help her with the carrying."

"That was nice. Why did she phone you?"

"She didn't actually. I think she just pressed the wrong speed dial button."

"Oh. Yes, I really ought to respond to that invitation."

"What is it for?"

"Oh, just a cousin's birthday. It's nothing special only it's an excuse for all the family to get together."

"That's nice."

"Don't you believe it, Harry! My mother has three sisters and seven female cousins and they will all want to remind me how old I'm getting and isn't it time I found someone nice."

Harry smiled and nodded.

"By the way, do you have plans for tomorrow?"

"Um, yes. Mum and Dad invited me over to dinner."

"Isn't that Sunday?" asked Harry. "I was asking about Saturday."

"Well, yes. I just thought about going early and staying the weekend, that's all."

"Ron got us tickets to see a game tomorrow," explained Harry. "He managed to get a box and I think they are planning a surprise birthday lunch for you, only Ron wants to get there early so it will probably have to be breakfast as well."

"That sounds nice. It's been ages since we did anything all together. I suppose I needn't ask how he got an entire box?"

Harry shrugged.

"Honestly, Harry. I'm sure Ron gets more out of your famous name than you do!"

"He's getting better at it too," Harry admitted. "The small bedroom is packed with things he claimed I liked."

"Is that really what you want? Some day soon you'll be better known for freeloading rather than defeating Voldemort."

Harry pushed himself back and nodded.

"I know," he said gently. "A few weeks ago Luna got us to pick up an antique writing desk from a place in Portobello Road. We were a bit early so Ron suggested we try a local pub for lunch. It took us a while before we found one he liked."

"Where was it?"

"We must have walked miles! I was completely lost by the time we stepped inside," Harry admitted with a smile. "My point is that there was a Chelsea Pensioner who came in while we were there. You know? He had a red tunic and wore a long row of war medals."

The mention of medals had a particular significance for Hermione. Harry had refused to accept his Order of Merlin medal, but the Minister had persuaded Hermione to keep it for him. One day she would have to tell Harry she had it.

"Anyway," continued Harry, "he seemed to be making a bit of a meal of propping his cane up before coming up to the bar, but by the time he had, someone had bought him a pint and someone else was offering to buy his lunch for him.

"I mean, he's probably a war hero who thoroughly deserved to have his beer bought for him. Ron even bought him one once he realised it was the thing to do, although there were plenty more people there that wanted to. I felt terrible for thinking ill of that old man."

"But you saw yourself in his place?" suggested Hermione gently.

Harry nodded slowly.

"I wondered if one of these days I'll be coming into the Leaky Cauldron and fumbling around for long enough for someone to buy me a drink."

Hermione nodded. She didn't know very much about the Chelsea Pensioners other than that they had to be ex-service personnel but she was about to point out that they probably had very little disposable income to spend, when Harry spoke again.

"Unfortunately I made a deal with Ron."

"What kind of deal?"

"I, er," began Harry, but faltered.

"Maybe this isn't the time to discuss this," suggested Hermione.

Harry smiled gratefully at her.

"You can always have a go at me again for not having a proper job yet," he suggested.

"Don't tempt me," she replied dryly.

Hermione had been completely unable to persuade Harry to get a decent job after he had fully recovered from his injuries. She knew he'd had several offers from the Ministry, but he had declined them all.

She knew he hardly needed the money, but she was concerned that he really needed a career. Worse, from Hermione's point of view, was that Harry seemed happy to sustain Ron as well. Unlike Harry, Ron seemed more than happy to waste away hours in bars or in pursuit of a bone-idle existence.

Harry himself seemed to be spending less and less time with Ron in bars, preferring instead to spend his time helping his friends.

"It's your birthday, Hermione," he reminded her. "Anything you want is okay tonight."

*

"I can't believe how expensive it was in there!" exclaimed Hermione as they walked towards the main road where they knew there was a taxi rank.

"I thought you'd enjoy it at that restaurant."

"I did. I mean, it was wonderful, but I could have bought six months worth of groceries for the price of that meal."

"I knew I should have asked for a menu with no prices on it," quipped Harry. "So, for next year you want to go food shopping instead? You may need to buy a bigger fridge if you want six month's worth!"

Hermione laughed and hugged his arm.

"Let's take the Night Bus back?" suggested Harry, as she'd hoped he would. "At least you can claim we were frugal in one respect."

They arrived at the bus stop just in time to see the Night Bus depart without them.

Hermione checked the timetable and said, "Half hour wait until the next one, I'm afraid."

"If you're cold we can get a cab?"

"No, I'm fine," she said coming back over to the shelter and snuggling up against him.

They were quiet a moment before Harry spoke.

"Hermione, I've got a confession to make."

"Really?"

"Yes. I've been putting off telling you this."

"What is it, Harry? You can tell me anything, you know that?"

"Please don't be mad at me, Hermione. I've wanted to tell you for ages."

"Harry, you're making me worried now. What's wrong?"

"I've got myself a job."

Hermione just stared at him, open mouthed.

"Hang on," she said at last. "Is this something stupid like endorsing some rubbish wizarding products?"

"I told you I declined Fred and George's offer. No this is what even you would call a proper job. I'll get paid a small salary and have to work specific hours."

"Oh."

"I didn't say anything because I had to do some additional studying and there was a test. I was afraid I wouldn't come up to scratch. Anyway, I asked Professor McGonagall if she knew anyone who would be prepared to tutor me discretely because I didn't want the Press to find out. In the event she insisted upon helping me personally. I think she wanted her revenge for me missing out so much of the Seventh Year!"

Hermione laughed and said, "Congratulations, Harry! When do you start?"

"I was due to start a few days ago only the Ministry messed up my paperwork. As it is, I should officially start on Monday."

"That's wonderful!"

"Hardly anyone knows just yet. Neville knows and so does Mr Weasley, because he did my license application the second time around. Ron kind of knows but Neville advised me to lie about what I was doing."

Hermione laughed.

"I wondered why the Prophet claimed you were forming a band and hoped to get for first single out in time for Christmas!"

"Yes. He only confided in a couple of people, but news quickly got out. Ron's going to be so disappointed! He's even charmed a drum set to play itself so he can come on tour with the band."

"You still haven't told me!"

"What? Oh, that. Well, like I said I did this deal with Ron."

"Now you have lost me, Harry."

"He sort of made me agree to do something in exchange for him using my name less to jump queues or get free things."

Harry looked up and down the deserted street and said, "This really isn't an outdoors kind of discussion. How about we Apparate back?"

"Sure, Harry. Whatever you want."

He took a firm hold of her hand and they Disapparated back to her flat.

*

Hermione switched on a low wattage table lamp but left the main living room lights off, so most of the room remained in shadow.

"Harry, what's the matter?" she asked gently.

"What makes you think anything is wrong?"

"Harry, you love coming home through London at night. How many times have we stayed on the top deck of the Night Bus and just rode around the City?"

Harry sighed and said, "Yes. I do like the night. Everything seems so much quieter and more ordered at night. The neon street lighting makes everything calmer, somehow."

Hermione pulled him over to her settee and pushed him down before sitting down next to him to listen.

"Hermione, I'd like to try and confide something," he began.

He coughed gently and began again.

"This may freak you out, okay? Please just remember if you throw me out before dawn I'll have nowhere to go."

Hermione slapped his arm playfully.

"Harry, get on with it!"

"I hardly know where to begin, really."

"Try at the beginning."

"No, that's no good," said Harry. "I should end with the beginning. I should start with something that only happened very recently."

"What?"

"I, er, had a bit of a shock."

Hermione turned to him and frowned slightly. He was looking away from her and for the first time Hermione began to grow genuinely concerned. It had been a long time since she had seen Harry wrestling with his emotions like this.

Rather than interrupt him again, she reached out and took hold of his hand. She was rather alarmed to find his pulse was racing, although outwardly he seemed as calm as ever.

"As you probably gathered, I've been planning on making some changes to my lifestyle for some time now. I didn't intend to carry on doing nothing for as long as this, only nothing came along that I felt was really worthwhile. As it is, I've still only barely touched the money my parents left me, so there was no pressure to find anything. Well, not counting your efforts, that is."

Harry gave an involuntary twitch in his hand and shook his head slightly.

"That's going to sound terrible. I didn't mean," he began.

"Go on," she said gently. "I'm listening."

Harry scratched his forehead with his free hand and said, "Well, the job was only part of it. You know? It was Ron of all people that really got me started again. I'd given up, I suppose. However, in one of those rare moments when we actually had a sensible discussion, he admitted that Luna had refused his proposal."

"I didn't know that," said Hermione in surprise before she could stop herself.

"Oh, Luna still wants to get engaged to him, only she wants to do the proposing. Apparently the time and place is important, although Ron suspects she has some pre-conditions too."

"Good for her."

"Mm."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you."

"You're allowed. It's your birthday, after all."

Hermione snorted and said, "Go on."

"Okay, so Ron got his job with the Ministry and then had the cheek to immediately start complaining that I should be doing the same. I suppose it was about two weeks ago that Ginny caught me out."

"Caught you out?"

"Yes, she got me good. She, um, lied about something and got me to say more than I intended. Neville told me later she'd suspected the truth for some time. Luna knows because she called me on the Floo network to tell me she'd told Ron all about it. Ron was altogether less surprised than I expect him to be, actually."

"It sounds like they are all ganging up on you."

"Oh, it gets worse. Ginny made it pretty clear that they would tell you everything tomorrow unless I told you myself before then."

"That hardly seems fair. Don't worry, Harry. I'm more than happy to refuse to listen to them."

"Thanks, Hermione, but you really deserve to hear it from me. Um, it was after Ginny tricked me that I helped out your Mum. All I did was carry boxes from the car, but on the second trip one of the organisers stopped us and she and your Mum got chatting. I think she must have known you because she asked after you."

"I don't remember knowing anyone from the group Mum helps out at. Where was the bring and buy being held?"

Hermione knew better than to ask if Harry remembered her name.

"They were using a local school hall."

"I helped out a couple of times during the school holidays," said Hermione. "Maybe I met her then."

"She was telling your Mum all about how the wedding arrangements for her grand-niece were taking ages to organise."

"Sounds just the sort of conversation you'd be interested in, Harry!"

"Well, my attention did wander a little. That was, until she asked about the prospects of your Mum doing some wedding organising. I expected her to find a polite way of saying none of your business, only she didn't."

"No?"

"No. She didn't exactly say anything firm, but she did drop a couple of heavy hints that she expected an announcement any time now."

"Well," said Hermione, "what you have to remember is there's a lot of one-upmanship that goes on in these groups. If this woman was trying to make herself sound superior because she had a wedding coming up, it wouldn't surprise me if Mum didn't subtly put her in her place. It sounds like this woman wasn't even involved with the planning if it was only her grand-niece's wedding."

"I didn't think of that, but when I got back that evening I was just in time to hear Ron spill the beans to Neville about what Ginny and Luna were gossiping about. The girls arrived shortly after, though and didn't mention a thing."

"Where was I?"

"You were out with Dopey. I think it was Tuesday."

"Why did you change his name to Dopey?"

"Well, the name we originally gave him may have been anatomically accurate but a little rude for talking about him in front of Mrs Weasley."

"Do you often talk about my particular friends in front of her?"

"All the time, Hermione. Based upon our completely unbiased description of him, she hates him too!"

They laughed.

"Are you going to ever get around to telling me?" she prompted. "What was this shock you almost told me about?"

She felt Harry's hand tense and she wondered if it hadn't been a mistake to hurry him.

Harry took a deep breath before speaking.

"Hermione, do you remember the night of your Graduation?"

"Mm. I had such a nice time that night."

"I made you a promise."

"Harry, I didn't expect you to keep it. I suppose I just wanted you not to have to bear everything on your own anymore. I just wanted you to know I'd always be there for you to confide in and trust. That's all."

"Hermione, I promised never to keep anything that was worrying me from you again."

"Well, yes."

"I broke that promise before our dance ended."

"What?"

"Don't you remember? We were outside in the entrance, listening to the music from the Great Hall."

"Yes, it was rather nice to be away from all those prying eyes. That's my favourite memory of that night. I was rather touched that you offered to dance with me despite your leg. I'm sure you must have been in agony."

"It wasn't so bad. Anyway, while I was hobbling and trying not to bump into any of your injuries, I made you that promise."

"You went all quiet after that," she observed.

"I was having an inner argument with myself, actually. I'd become so used to keeping secrets by then, just coming out and telling you seemed wrong. It was my greatest secret, you see. It just had to be repressed. However, I'd pretty much decided to tell you everything when we were interrupted."

"Yes. I know Ron was in high spirits then, but I really could have killed him when he came and dragged you back into the Great Hall."

"After that, it never seemed to be the right occasion to tell you. I did try a couple of times but, well, I didn't."

"Are you going to tell me now?"

"It's either that or let Ginny have the honour."

"Forget Ginny, Harry. Whatever she may have led you to believe I promise you she would never do anything to hurt you. None of them would."

"Even if she thinks she might be acting in my interests?"

"Harry, I'm only interested in hearing whatever this is from you. So far, you haven't made a lot of sense."

"It was a few weeks after the Graduation that I next saw you."

"Yes, it wasn't until after I'd completed that vocational training course at the Ministry. That was a complete waste of time, of course."

"I'd resolved to tell you then, but when we all met up that night I was rather disappointed to see you'd brought someone along. That put paid to finding a moment to tell you then."

"Harry, that's silly. Anyway, I didn't bring him along. I met him on the course and he happened to be in the Leaky Cauldron when I arrived. I was early and we chatted while I waited for the rest of you. I hardly knew him, actually, but it was difficult to shrug him off by then."

"You didn't seem particularly eager to shrug him off."

"Well, he's ancient history now."

"What about Dopey?"

"No, it isn't going to work," Hermione admitted. "Richard was nice, but I'm not the person he wants me to be."

"So, he's definitely history, then?"

"I suspect he's finished with me after what I said to him this evening. Why is this so important, Harry? You make me feel like I'm wrong to try and find happiness."

"I don't mean to. You're not wrong, Hermione. Well, your judgement is a bit off, but you aren't wrong to want to try."

"How many times have I told you and Ron that I'm free to make my own mistakes. You don't get to approve of who I decide to go out with."

"You can't force us to like someone. Anyway, we've never interfered. Not really."

"How would you like it if I did the same thing to you? Oh, I was forgetting. You don't have-"

"Maybe I should go," said Harry making to get up.

Hermione pulled him back and said, "No, Harry. We're going to have this out."

"I don't want to upset you, Hermione. Not on your birthday."

"Well, as it's my birthday, I want you to tell me what's the matter."

Hermione held on tightly to his hand and had absolutely no intention of letting him go.

Harry sighed and fished around in a pocket with his free hand.

"I bought this for your birthday," he said gently. "To tell the truth, I bought it some time ago. I got it because I was afraid I'd never- Hey!"

Hermione had snatched the flat jewellery box from his hand and held it out of view.

"Okay, but don't open it yet."

Hermione said nothing.

"You opened it, didn't you?"

"Harry, I'm sorry. Anyway, the box is empty!"

"I really can't think how the notion that you were impatient ever crossed my mind," he said dryly, a smile playing on his lips.

"So, where's my present?" she joked.

"Why are you pretending to be all keen to get your present?"

"You started it. Do you want your nice empty box back?"

"I do want it back, but not yet. The box is empty because after I'd bought it, I realised how inappropriate the gift inside it was. I transfigured the gift but I kept the box."

"I might have liked it."

"I usually try and get you things you'd like. This time it was something I wanted you to have, but it originally served no useful purpose."

"Harry, I don't like your presents just because they are useful, although they often are. No, I like them because you gave them to me and were kind enough to put a little thought into them. It touches me that you'd do that for me. I mean, I even kept that ghastly rubber duck Ron gave me last year. The thing may be horrid but it reminds me how special Ron is to me."

Harry snorted and said, "He spent ages finding just the right one for you. I managed to persuade him that having one that quacked that loudly only during bath times was sufficient."

"More than sufficient, Harry."

"Leave the box open and place it on the floor," he directed. "I put a delay on the charm so it wouldn't work at once."

Hermione slid forward to the edge of the settee and carefully placed the open box on the carpet, not letting go of Harry's hand.

"What kind of a charm is it?"

"Just something I couldn't get out of my head. It isn't very loud."

Hermione listened and began to hear the faintest sounds coming from the box. The sound gradually got louder until she could hear music, but it was a moment before she recognised the tune the box was playing.

"Oh, Harry. It's wonderful!"

"There's a bit of an echo, but that's because I used my memory of that evening."

"I can hear people chattering and laughing in the Great Hall," said Hermione with delight. "Does it play the conversation we had too?"

"No, just the music."

"Good," she said getting up. "I wanted us to finish our dance."

"Hermione," began Harry, sounding very reluctant.

"Harry, you can even pretend to limp if you want. Come on, you've been telling me all night I can have what I want on my birthday. I want us to finish our dance."

Harry allowed himself to be pulled into the centre of the darkened room. Hermione snaked her arms up around his neck as she had done that night and felt him lower his head towards hers.

She closed her eyes, allowing her mind to flow back to that evening.

"Promise me something, Harry?" she said, repeating the exact same words she had used that night. "Promise me that you'll never again keep so much to yourself. You can't bear everything on your shoulders, no matter what you think you should do. I'll always be here for you, whatever happens."

"I know you will, Hermione," he said, holding her a little tighter. "I promise," he breathed.

She would have liked to hear the words he'd used before, but tonight he was holding her closer.

Hermione found herself grinning, feeling the same sensations she remembered having that night.

Had she made herself forget?

This time, though, there'd be no drunken Ron to interrupt her. She remembered how scared she had been how Harry would react. This time, however, she didn't really care.

Hermione lifted herself up on her toes and kissed him.

*

Hermione woke hearing sounds of stifled giggling coming from the living room. Her flat was quite small and noise travelled easily from one part to the next.

She wiped her eyes sleepily and noticed that there was light at the edges of her window curtains.

"Ron, if you don't shut up I swear I'll put a permanent Bubble-Head charm on you!"

That sounded like Ginny, she thought.

"But its funny!" complained Ron. "It says here in the Prophet he had to be rescued from the Muggle Dog compound after he was found in one of their cages in the early hours of this morning!"

"Ron, just try to be a bit quieter, can't you? Besides, Hermione might not find it so funny when she finds out."

"He had it coming," Ron assured her. "I was going to deal with him before, but Harry stopped me. This is so much better than anything I could have done, though."

"Ron, how many more times?" complained Ginny. "Be quiet!"

"He was rather horrid, though," agreed Luna. "He said dreadful things about her behind her back and that's beside the problem he had with those wandering hands of his."

"What?" demanded Ron loudly.

Hermione sat up, hugging the blankets to herself and feeling unsure how she felt about her friends not saying anything to her. She knew they all disliked Richard, but didn't think there was any rational reason why.

She looked down beside her and saw Harry looking back up at her.

"I bumped into Dopey on his way out last night. He said something I objected to, so I transfigured him into a mangy dog. He must have been caught be the dog patrol and taken to the compound."

"He called you names so you transfigured him?"

"No, he didn't call me anything. He didn't even know I was there, although he wasn't exactly surprised to see me when I showed myself. I'm sorry if I've disappointed you, Hermione. It was childish and I shouldn't have acted on impulse."

"No, you shouldn't have."

Harry reached out and took her hand.

"I see Harry made the front page again," said Neville's distant voice.

"I suppose news was bound to get out about his new job," added Luna.

"It can't be true, can it?" asked Ron. "How will he have time for his band?"

Harry reached out and picked up the jewellery box and his wand from the bedside table. Placing the box down on the sheets between them, he tapped it with his wand.

There were a few golden sparks before he said, "Open it now, but you'll need to close it unless you want the others to hear the music as well. I suspect we are about to be discovered anyway."

Hermione picked the box up and opened it. Inside were two simple golden rings.

"I transfigured each of these from a single singing ring," he explained. "Wear one and you can hear any tune you can think of. The box amplifies the effect, except I changed the charm slightly to play just the one tune.

"If two people wear the rings at the same time, they can have a conversation no matter where they are in the world."

She closed the box again and thought.

"What was the shock you had, Harry?"

"Simply that I'd lost my chance. That I was going to lose you forever. Ginny told me you had told her that Dopey had proposed but you were waiting before giving him an answer. She only told me that wasn't true after I'd landed myself in it."

Hermione leaned back down again, but looked over to the door when they heard Ron say loudly, "So where's the birthday girl?"

This was followed by several loud, "Shh!" noises and Hermione was sure they were trying to listen.

"Don't worry," Harry assured her. "They won't get past the barrier charm you put up. I can Disapparate away and they'll never know I was here."

"Are those Harry's shoes?" they heard Ron say rather loudly in mock surprise. This was followed by more giggles.

"Alright, so they know I was here. I'm often here, right?"

"There's a load of Hermione's things behind here too."

The sounds of more laughing reached them.

Hermione laughed and said, "No, Harry. I think the game's up. Listen, though. I'm not sure if this will work, but I'd like us to try. Just so long as we can remain friends whatever happens, okay?"

"Okay," he promised gently as she leaned over to kiss him.

*

They emerged later that morning to find a note left them from the others.

"Dear Sleepyheads,

We got bored waiting for you, so we'll see you at the stadium.

Ron says to remind the Professor to bring more booze.

Don't bother hurrying as the match doesn't start until after lunch.

Love,

Ginny"

-

END