Unofficial Portkey Archive

Santa Monica by HavaBisqitPotter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Santa Monica

HavaBisqitPotter

This is a one shot angst ridden Draco/Ginny story (my first) that I wrote after listening to Santa Monica by Theory of a Dead Man. Read, enjoy and reply, please!

~meg

Santa Monica

By Meg (HavaBisqitPotter)

www.portkey.org

Synopsis: Ginny Weasley left her family to be with the love of her life. But she soon finds that her relationship with Draco will be tested… in more than one way. One Shot.

Rating: R for sexual content and language.

Disclaimer: I'm a seventeen-year-old girl from Oklahoma with no money and no life. I'm not married, I don't have children, and I don't have millions and millions of dollars in the bank from writing six books. (Albeit, I still think the sixth was penned by a ghost writer.) And, trust me, if I were JKR, Harry and Hermione would have been snogging since book one. That being said… You should know that no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. And, I don't own the song either.

Dedication: For Jess, the newly corrupted Pumpkin Pie-r/Portkey obsessed worker at George's (hahaha… Milky Ways…).

The Lyrics

"Santa Monica"

Theory of a Dead Man

"She fills my bed with gasoline

You think I would have noticed

Her mind's made up

The love is gone

I think someone's trying to show us a sign

That even if we thought it would last

The moment would pass

My bones will break and my heart will give

Oh, it hurts to live

"I remember the day when you left for Santa Monica

You left me to remain with all your excuses for everything

I remember the time when you left for Santa Monica

I remember the day you told me it's over

"It hurts to breathe

Every time that you're not next to me

Her mind's made up

The girl is gone

And now I'm forced to see

I think I'm on my way

Oh, it hurts to live today

Oh, and she says 'Don't you wish you were dead like me?'

"I remember the day when you left for Santa Monica

You left me to remain with all your excuses for everything

I remember the time when you left for Santa Monica

I remember the day you told me it's over

"I wanted more than this
I needed more than this
I deserve more than this
But it just won't stop, it just won't go away
I needed more than this
I wanted more than this
I asked for more than this
But it just won't stop, it just won't go away

"I remember the day when you left for Santa Monica
You left me to remain with all your excuses for everything
I remember the time when you left it all behind
I remember the day you told me it's over

I remember the day when you left for Santa Monica
You left me to remain with all your excuses for everything
I remember the time when you left for Santa Monica
I remember the day you told me it's over"

Ginny Weasley decided to run away from home after a particularly nasty row with her family. It wasn't fair that she wasn't allowed to join the Order just because she happened to be a girl and the youngest of the Weasleys. So, in usual Ginny fashion, she had pouted, stomped up the stairs to her bedroom and stewed, waiting for them all to march their arses up the stairs and apologise to her. After she had been alone for five hours (with only the exception of her mother knocking on her door and telling her that if she wanted dinner she would come down just like a normal person, because they were not going to baby her anymore, Ginevra Anne Weasley!), Ginny had decided that she had to act out. She had to rebel. She had to get out.

She had thrown an extra set of clothes in her pack and snuck out of the front door just before two in the morning, after she had lain in bed for hours waiting for the snores to come from her parents' and Ron's rooms. She slipped out quietly and headed towards Ottery St. Catchpole. She was in the middle of a huge moor and had been walking for almost three hours when she realised the weight of her decision. She sat down right in the middle of the field and fought back her tears.

Here she was, an underage witch that had just run away from her home for no good reason. "Fuck…"

"Hey, Red," said a cool voice from beside her.

She jerked her head up and recoiled when she saw who the voice belonged to. "Malfoy…" she hissed through gritted teeth.

Draco snickered and waved at the moor they were sitting in the middle of. "What the fuck are you doing, Red?"

Ginny crossed her arms over her chest. "I could ask you the same question. Trying to kill the headmaster won't exactly make you head boy."

Draco shrugged. "He was a git."

"Why didn't you do it?"

He chuckled coolly. "If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Could it be that you have a heart?"

"Not even close."

Ginny shifted uncomfortably in the grass as his icy eyes stared into hers. Why was she finding herself attracted to Draco Malfoy just because he was staring at her? She cleared her throat. "Why are you talking to me?" she asked. "I'm a blood traitor… Shouldn't you be calling your friend Voldy?"

He leaned on the table. "I've come to persuade you, Red… You've just run away from home… Where do you intend to go?"

"Well, I had…" Ginny stammered, before meeting his steely gaze.

"You Gryffindors are all alike," he snorted. "You have the guts to do anything, but you don't have the brains to think out a rational plan before you do… Red, I can offer you protection."

She snorted. "You're joking."

He rolled his eyes. "I assure you, I don't joke about such matters."

"How did you find me anyway? You just tried to kill one of the most powerful wizards ever… and failed. Isn't Voldy upset that his little scrub failed him?" She was determined to gain power on him. She would not let him dictate the conversation.

"The Dark Lord forgave me, mercifully, as I promised him one thing..."

"And what was that?" She crossed her arms.

He smiled coldly. "You."

She snorted. "Does the Dark Lord usually forgive two failures?"

"I will not fail."

She humoured him. "Okay, why me?"

"Look… Slughorn wasn't an idiot. He had you going to his little meetings because he knew you were powerful. I'll admit, Red, for a Weasley, you do posses quite impressive attributes."

She arched her eyebrows at him.

"You know what I mean." He glanced over his shoulder. "We want you. And right now, you need us."

"Oh, yeah? Who's we?"

"Join us, Weasley…" His voice was almost tender.

Ginny sighed. "Look, if you want to use me as bait, it might interest you to know that Harry broke up with me at Dumbledore's funeral."

He snorted. "You have a high opinion of yourself, Red. If we wanted bait, we would have kidnapped the mudblood Granger. We want your power…"

Ginny suddenly became aware that his lips were dangerously close to her ear. She jerked her head away and met his eyes. "What ever made you think that you could persuade me to become a Death Eater?"

He slid closer to her. "I know you…" He whispered against her neck. "Whether or not you care to admit it, you and I are two of a kind…" He lightly kissed her earlobe. "Think about it… Outshining all your brothers… Proving that you can be useful in battle… It's what you've always wanted…" He sucked gently at her neck and Ginny found herself unable to move or even speak. "We'd be so powerful…"

She ripped her body from his and looked him straight in the eyes. The sat in silence for a few seconds before she crushed her lips against his in a hungry kiss.

Ginny Weasley had been seduced by the dark side.

'And where did it get me?' she thought bitterly as she sipped her Firewhiskey, sitting at a falling down table, in a falling down house, stuck in a falling down relationship.

They were in hiding, as they had been for the last month. It had been a year and a half since she had run away and into Draco's arms. They had made love, no, she decided cynically, shagged for the first time that night in the field. It had been her first time, but definitely not his. And so they had continued… Shagging emotionless and not even as friends… She and Draco had maintained their un-relationship until they had been forced into hiding. And even then, Draco was quick to take her suddenly just to pass the time, but Ginny had grown tired of the whole charade.

She had packed her bag the night before. All she needed was to get out. The only problem, she decided, would be going home. "There's no way my parents will forgive me…" she muttered hopelessly, downing the last of the Firewhiskey in the glass.

"And, honestly, Red, why would you want them to?" Draco stretched, shirtless in the doorframe. At first his body had thrilled her, now it disgusted her.

"I'm leaving, Draco… I can't keep doing this." She stood and turned her nose to the air. "I don't deserve this."

He grabbed her arm. "You made your decision that night on the moor, Weasley. You can't go back on it just like that."

"I've disgraced my family, Draco, they all hate me. Two of my brothers are dead. I can't live like this…"

"You've pledged your life to the Dark Lord--"

"The war's over, Draco! Voldemort's dead. Harry defeated him two months ago. We're hiding because we wouldn't be accepted into society remember?" She pulled away from him and went to the tiny bedroom in the back. "God, Draco…"

He followed her. "You can't just leave. Where will you go?"

"I don't care!" She screamed. "I just have to get away from this!" she waved her arms around and kicked at the dirt floor. "I hate this…" she felt tears coursing down her cheeks and almost expected him to slap her for being weak. "I fucking hate this, Draco…"

His expression melted for a second. "I hate it too…" The icy features reappeared on his face. "But we can't be weak. Soon, someone will--"

She snorted. "Regain the throne and try to rid the world of filthy mudbloods and blood traitors? Well, Draco, right now, they've got it a hell of a lot better than we do right now! We're living in a hellhole!"

He stood in front of her. "What do you want me to do, Ginny? Take you back there and make you a wife?"

"What's this talk of a wife?" she retorted acidly. "You have no feelings for me, remember?"

"You were just a good fuck…" he hissed in her ear, turned on his heel, and strode back into the kitchen.

Ginny grabbed her one bag and went to the front door. "I'm leaving, Draco."

"They'll never accept you…"

She shrugged. "Have a nice life." She stepped out into the night air and slammed the door behind her.

* * * *

Draco didn't know how long Ginny had been gone. All he knew was that he had started drinking as she left and he was now completely pissed out of his mind. He closed his eyes as he took another swig of Firewhiskey. "Shit…" he breathed. He knew what would happen now. Ginny would run back to the Burrow and they would fuss over her and forgive her and cry over her and then she'd trot her arse to the Ministry of Magic and tell the Aurors where he was hiding.

And the strange part was, he found he didn't care. He suspected he'd always known that he would end up in a cell in Azkaban one day or another. And, quite frankly, he was tired of running. Let him live out his last days in Azkaban, if he wasn't given the kiss automatically. And then, how would life be any different? He'd never really had a soul anyway… Somehow he didn't think he'd notice if the Dementors sucked what little soul he had left.

He had screwed up. Ah, well… He'd made it a lot farther than he thought he would have. He'd grown a lot, too. Emotionally…

He'd been too harsh with her… And it was killing him that she had left him. I've been an idiot, he decided and threw an empty bottle at the wall, shattering it into a million pieces.

Why was he feeling like this? Why the fuck did he care so much about Weasley? He almost… missed her.

After he'd decided against magicking up the pieces of glass in the floor by the table and slipped into bed, he became acutely aware that Ginny wasn't beside him. He hadn't slept without her in months. He missed the way that she curled his knees into his and the was he could nestle his face into her wild hair, usually damp with perspiration that remained from the wild shag they'd had an hour before. He missed the way that her arms wound their way around his neck and the way her fingers buried themselves in his hair. He missed the way her breath felt against him when she slept, clinging to him for dear life… Like he was her saviour…

And Draco Malfoy was crying. Sobbing, really, into the pillow that still held Ginny's scent. How could he have fucked up so badly? He'd had love… And he'd let it slip through his fingers. The Ministry would be arriving soon enough, he realised. So he remembered her taste… Her scent… And how she'd protected him from himself time and time again… She loved me at some point too, he realised sickly. But I just pushed her away… I am just like my father… Life wasn't supposed to be this fucking hard.

He took a final drink of Firewhiskey… "I never thought I'd be this weak… Damn it, Ginny, why can't you see what you do to me…"

The door flew open.

Lovely… They're already here. He stood and made his way into the tiny living room.

And a soaking wet Ginny Weasley was standing in the doorway with her bag.

He stared at her. "You."

"Me."

He shuffled his feet. "Why are you back?"

She shrugged. "I don't know."

"Did they turn you away?"

"I didn't get that far." She shook her head.

"Then why are you back?"

"I don't know." It thundered in the background. Ginny looked at him through tears. "It hurts…"

"What does?" he asked, still standing ten feet away from her.

"Loving you."

Ginny expected him to hit her… She expected him to yell and curse and throw things. But she definitely didn't expect what happened.

Draco threw himself into her arms and sobbed on her shoulder. She held him and let him cry. "I thought I'd lost you," he whispered against her skin.

She shook her head as she felt him slide around her body, his hands on her waist, his mouth on her neck. Then he stopped.

She kissed him lightly. "I couldn't walk away from you."

"Why? I have nothing for you…"

She turned to face him. "You have me."

"What do we do now?"

Ginny sighed. "We have to go back, Draco. There's nothing for us in this hovel."

"They won't accept us… They'll never… Your parents won't let me near you…" Draco admitted.

"My parents… Can accept you as a part of me or not accept me at all." She put a hand on his chest. "You are me, Draco, and I am you. Like love and hate…"

"Fire and ice…" he breathed, taking in the scent of her skin.

She kissed his chin. "Make love to me…" He looked at her in disbelief. "It's different than just a quick shag, Draco… You know it as well as I do…"

Draco planted tender kisses on her cheeks before scooping her up into his arms. "I love you."

~~~~~

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire,

I hold with those who favour fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice

Robert Frost, "Fire and Ice"