Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Want More Than Anything by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Want More Than Anything

jardyn39

What I Want More Than Anything

by Jardyn39

Summary

Hours after the funeral, Voldemort hears how his spy's eagerness for revenge may have lead them to disobey him and risk exposure. Meanwhile back at Hogwarts, Harry discovers evidence of an impostor in their midst, although a glimpse of Hermione's vision in the Mirror of Erised may prove to have greater consequences. Completed.

What I Want More Than Anything

"My Lord," said Snape silkily, bowing low. Before him the only item of furniture in the darkened room was a high throne-like chair raised up on a low stone dais.

"Yes, Severus?" replied Voldemort. "I am advised you requested an urgent meeting. I was surprised to learn you were not joining in with the celebrations. What is so important it could not wait until tomorrow?"

"I apologise, My Lord. I felt it my duty to come to you personally. There is something important I think you should know."

"I'm listening."

"Thank you, My Lord," Snape said, bowing again. "First of all, there is some urgency. We don't have long if we are to retrieve something from this mess."

"Go on."

"I believe your spy at Hogwarts is about to be discovered."

"Really?" said Voldemort, sounding quite unconcerned.

"Yes."

"What do you suggest we do?"

"We should retrieve her before she is captured and reveals your Lordship's plans."

"She?"

"Indeed. Bellatrix Lestrange is female, My Lord."

Voldemort smiled menacingly.

"I'm impressed, Severus. I really am. Of course, your next words will have to be very convincing. You will realise that if I don't believe your story, you will not leave this room alive."

"My Lord," said Snape, his voice showing no sign of fear at all.

"Dumbledore was rather surprised that your Lordship returned for her at the Department of Mysteries. You, quite rightly in my view, abandoned the remainder of those incompetent buffoons to their fate. Yet you came back for her.

"He considered Bellatrix to be highly dangerous but hardly worthy of such a risk. She hardly matchwd the some of the skills possessed by his Order members, but he accepted she was faithful to the point of insanity."

"Careful, Severus," warned Voldemort dangerously.

"Dumbledore knew, of course, that you did not rescue her because of her loyalty. You knew she still had uses. Indeed, you needed Bellatrix."

"Oh, yes. I valued her," agreed Voldemort. "I still do."

"And yet you distanced yourself from her."

"It was important she concentrate on the tasks I gave her."

"Yes. Those tasks. She certainly helped young Draco improve himself. His Occlumency skills even thwarted my efforts to help him."

"I had my reasons, Severus."

"Yes, and they were all too obvious. Dumbledore was immediately suspicious, wasn't he?"

"That old fool knew nothing!"

"Oh, but he did. He knew Malfoy was responsible for the pitiful attempts on his life. Indeed, you made sure Bellatrix stayed out of his way, didn't you? You knew that he wouldn't have been fooled for a moment, even if others might have been. Dumbledore was a much better Legilimens than many give him credit for. Her Occlumency would have been no defence against him."

"When did you suspect something?"

"Oh, when I stopped to discuss a minor matter with McGonagall on the sixth floor. I happened to look out of the window and saw the Deputy Head crossing the courtyard below. Clearly, one of them was an impostor."

"She did take some unnecessary risks," agreed Voldemort, "but her disguise was very convincing. She knew her character backwards."

"There's more to impersonating a person than just the physical aspects," Snape pointed out. "Young Crouch demonstrated that Dumbledore could be fooled. He might even have got away if the Polyjuice Potion had been taken as directed.

"So. You knew that Polyjuice was too much of a risk to try again. What you needed, was a Metamorphmagus; a loyal Metamorphmagus."

"Why do you suspect Bellatrix, though?"

"Nymphadora Tonks is a Metamorphmagus. It is a particularly rare gift but it traditionally runs in the family, I believe. It really wasn't such a stretch to realise that it was Aunty Bella using her Metamorphmagus skills around the castle."

Voldemort gave out a cold, mirthless laugh.

"Yes, Severus, Bellatrix is a Metamorphmagus," said Voldemort. "She has an extraordinary talent for mimicry. I could teach her nothing to improve those skills other than to show her how to transfigure her clothes and apparel at the same time."

"Ah, I wondered how she did that. Anyway, she must have been given strict instructions to stay out of the way of the real McGonagall. It was imperative that no-one suspected, so Bellatrix's McGonagall could only make brief appearances to help Draco Malfoy out of a tight spot or two. She couldn't actually award or deduct House Points, so when she pretended to do so the awards had to be small enough for it not to be noticed that the Hourglasses were not being updated."

"Why not just replace McGonagall?"

"McGonagall is far too powerful a witch to be troubled by an Imperious curse. And, of course, Bellatrix had no means of gathering the information she needed to even attempt replacing her."

"Well, go on."

Snape showed his yellowing teeth as he distorted his mouth into a self-congratulatory smile. So far, it appeared he had been correct.

"Now, you had installed Bellatrix at Hogwarts during the summer holidays last June, when security was the most lapse and making sure that I knew nothing about her arrival. However, the moment she learned she was being sent there she began planning her own little plot.

"She was incredibly bitter and resentful that Potter had effectively caused her to fail you. She knows you no longer confide in her. Bellatrix was afraid you no longer considered her worthy."

"Not at all."

"Oh, come now. She hatched a scheme that would enable her to revenge herself upon Potter. She needed to maintain her role for you as well as maximise the loss for Potter. She knew you would not forgive her if she attempted to kill him, but causing him mental anguish and murdering his closest friends was quite acceptable. Most importantly, she was forced to keep you entirely in the dark about her plans."

"Why would she need to do that, Severus?"

"Because she would need to risk discovery, something you clearly did not want. You needed her to remain in place even after Draco and I made our escape."

"That is correct."

"So, Bellatrix arrived at Hogwarts and then realised she needed to act quickly. She discovered that Granger and Potter would be spending at least part of their holidays with the Weasleys.

"Some time after the beginning of the school holiday, Bellatrix turned up at the Grangers in the form of Professor McGonagall and told Potter's friend Hermione that Dumbledore wanted her to receive some additional protections and that she was to accompany her back to the school. Granger foolishly trusted her, of course. Bellatrix imprisoned Miss Granger at Hogwarts and then returned to the Grangers in the guise of their daughter.

"Unknowingly, the Grangers then took Bellatrix to stay with the Weasleys. That night she intended to Apparate back and murder them in their home. Bellatrix could not risk them becoming suspicious and contacting anyone.

"However, she arrived back to find the house empty and the Grangers gone. The Order of the Phoenix had already collected them and taken them into hiding. I myself was assigned to watch the house and witnessed Bellatrix return that night. Of course, Miss Granger knew nothing of the arrangements to protect her parents, so Bellatrix had to continue to write home on a regular basis.

"Bellatrix spent the remainder of the holidays with the Weasleys, giving her ample opportunity to try and get Potter and the youngest Weasley romantically attached. No doubt she even resorted to love potions, but Potter showed no outward sign of being affected until they returned to school.

"Indeed, it was only later in the year that Bellatrix began to see her plan coming to fruition. Potter began seeing Ginny Weasley as summer approached, and it was her intention to wait as long as possible before murdering the girl.

"Her desire to cause Potter maximum heartache was perhaps a little foolish. She decided to allow them to attend Dumbledore's funeral before killing the Weasley girl.

"However, it seems something has gone very wrong."

"How so?"

*

Harry Potter trudged miserably up the staircase. He was headed for the Gryffindor Common Room. Downstairs, several Order members were waiting to escort him back to Privet Drive.

Harry was in no particular hurry to leave, unlike so many of his school friends. It was barely four hours since Dumbledore's funeral had finished and yet the school was almost deserted. Not many would be risking the train journey back to London, either. It was clear that many families intended to go into hiding, not that he blamed them.

He looked up and exchanged a sad smile of commiseration with one of the monks in a portrait on the second floor.

There was no need to say anything.

Harry continued onwards, noticing for the first time that many of the paintings were empty. Perhaps they were holding their own wake for Dumbledore. He turned to ask the Monk, but he too had gone.

He rested his hand on the cool polished marble handrail and he realised that generations of witches and wizards must have done the same thing. He had passed up and down this staircase for years, hardly giving it a moment's notice.

Harry looked around, wondering if this place would ever feel like home again.

The burden of responsibility should have been weighing heavily on his shoulders now. With Dumbledore gone, it would now be up to him to lead the fight. Dumbledore's death, he suspected, would signal a new phase in Voldemort's campaign. He strongly suspected that there would be open warfare soon.

The strange thing was that, far from being burdened, Harry actually felt strangely at ease.

He had struggled to explain these feelings to himself, fearing he was becoming callous or unfeeling. However, although he would have given almost anything for his old Headmaster not to have died, he found that his grief was giving way to a strong feeling of resolve.

He was calmer now than he had ever been.

Harry had sat quietly down again with Ron, Hermione and Ginny while most people chatted, exchanged pleasantries and finally left after the funeral. He had found himself thinking critically about himself, his situation and what Dumbledore would have advised him to do.

As they sat there saying nothing but each being comforted by the presence of each other, Harry had felt himself relax.

His mind once again replayed random memories of Dumbledore. Almost inevitably, he also once again thought of Snape.

Up until that point, Harry's anger had forced himself to think of something else. This time, however, Harry began to consider Snape. Almost wistfully, Harry wished that Dumbledore had taught him Legilimency.

Harry blinked, trying to clear his head. For an instant, he had seen the strangest vision. It was a giant bowl of strawberries and ice-cream.

"Is anyone hungry?" Ron had said. "I just fancy some ice-cream."

Harry had looked at him with a startled expression, which Ron had immediately misunderstood.

"Sorry, Harry. Of course, I'd rather stay here."

Harry had sat back and tried this Legilimency on other people, although he knew that the best way to perform it was to have direct eye-contact. He had varying degrees of success, but it only worked when he placed his mind in a completely relaxed, almost uncaring, state.

Hearing a shuffling sound, Harry turned on the stair and looked down.

"I'm sorry, Potter. I didn't wish to disturb you."

"That's okay, Professor. I should really get a move on."

"No, take your time," said Professor McGonagall from the half-landing below. "I wouldn't have come this way, only I assumed you'd have taken one of your short-cuts."

He smiled at her and shrugged his shoulders.

"It will get better, you know?" she said gently.

"Well, it can hardly get much worse."

McGonagall looked like she was about to contradict him, but then thought better of it.

"I'll see you downstairs, Potter," she said before turning, and returning down the stairs. He looked on as she picked out a tartan handkerchief from her sleeve and covered her bowed face.

He looked away, respectful of her wish not to show just how upset she was.

Harry continued up the stairs, his feet still feeling leaden.

*

Harry found himself walking along the third floor corridor. He was about half-way along when he began to wonder why he had come that way.

He continued on to the end and pushed the door.

It was locked, as it had been the night when he, Ron, Hermione and Neville had discovered Fluffy for the first time.

He raised his wand, intending to unlock the door, when he heard a loud, distant scream.

He turned at once and ran back towards the sound. He was almost at the end of the corridor when several stunners hit the wall, fired by an unseen person. He could also hear running footsteps coming towards him.

Harry raised his wand, but lowered it the moment he saw Luna.

"Did you see her, Harry?" shouted Luna, almost barging into him.

"Who?"

"She attacked Ginny!"

"What? Is she okay?"

"Yes, I disturbed her before she could finish her off."

"Who attacked her?" asked Harry, as more footsteps came running.

Neville rounded the corner and fired wildly, just missing Harry.

"Neville, be careful where you're aiming!" he shouted. "It's us!"

Ron emerged next, pointing his wand at Luna.

"You attacked Ginny! She just told us what happened."

"It wasn't me," insisted Luna. "She must have used Polyjuice Potion or something, because whoever she was she looked just like me. I chased her up here but she must have given me the slip."

"Where is Ginny now?" asked Harry.

"Madam Pomfrey has taken her up to the Hospital Wing. It was lucky she heard Ginny screaming. She was there almost at once."

"Where's Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I've not seen her since the funeral," said Neville.

"Me neither," said Ron. "She went off with Ginny to pack the last of their things."

"Let's go and ask Ginny if she knows where Hermione is. I'll go and fetch the Marauder's Map too. Luna, I'm sorry, but perhaps it would be best if Ron takes your wand until we establish that you are really you."

"Okay, Harry," she said, handing Ron her wand.

*

Harry threw the doors to the Hospital Wing open and dashed inside. The other three followed close behind him.

Ginny was sitting on one of the beds at the far end of the ward and Madam Pomfrey was talking to a grave looking McGonagall.

Ginny smiled at him as he approached.

"I should have been a bit more alert, Harry," she said, pointing up to a nasty looking swelling on her forehead.

Luna stepped beside him looking concerned and Ginny's demeanour changed at once.

"It's okay, Ginny. We think there's an impostor in the castle. This really is Luna. See?" he said, offering her the map. Ginny looked back at him doubtfully a moment before checking the map.

Finally, she nodded. The map showed it was Luna Lovegood in the hospital wing with them.

"Please, tell us what happened. When did you last see Hermione?"

"We were walking back to the common room. I'm fairly sure I was hit from behind with a Confundus charm. The next thing I remember was coming back to myself in one of the classrooms. I was lying on the floor and Luna was at the door. I called to her but she just turned and levitated a desk to fly right at me. That's where I got this from," she said, pointing to her forehead.

"Then she closed the door and came over to me. She did a Cruciatus Curse on me, but then someone jumped her from behind."

"That was me," insisted Luna.

"Are you sure about that, Ginny?" asked Neville seriously. "Isn't it more likely that Hermione came to your rescue?"

Luna looked like she was about to protest but Harry held up his hand.

Ginny was frowning.

"It wasn't Hermione. I didn't see her face, but I remember she had long, blonde hair."

"So, it could have been Luna?"

"I think it was Luna, now I come to think about it," said Ginny. "I'm sorry, Luna."

"Alright," said Harry. "This impostor may still be in the castle. She may be trying to get Hermione too. Polyjuice Potion lasts an hour, so we need to hurry."

Ginny was looking thoughtfully down at the map.

"I don't see Hermione on here."

"No, neither could we."

"Harry, what if the impostor was pretending to be Hermione."

"That's not possible, is it? They couldn't time the change from Luna to Hermione that precisely with Polyjuice Potion."

"A Metamorphmagus could."

"They are supposed to be really rare, though," said Ron.

"It doesn't matter how they are transforming anyway," said Harry. "We have to find Hermione."

"How?"

Harry turned and walked a few paces, deep in thought.

"What I want more than anything else in the world is to find out where Hermione is."

They all stared at him in confusion.

He looked up.

"Professor?" he asked. "Where is the Mirror of Erised?"

"The Mirror of Erised?" repeated Professor McGonagall. "I hardly see how that will help."

"I need it," said Harry firmly.

"The Mirror was left in the Chamber below years ago. It hasn't moved since Quirrell attempted to steal the Philosopher's Stone."

"What about the other protections down there?"

"They will have remained untouched, although none of the charms will be effective any longer. Not after this length of time."

Harry turned at once to the others.

"We need broomsticks to get down there," he said urgently.

"I have one you can borrow," said Madam Pomfrey at once, hurrying over to her office. She returned almost at once carrying an old school broom. "I confiscated it some time ago from a visitor."

"Thanks," said Harry. "I'll go ahead. I need someone to stay at the trap door while I'm down there."

"You're not going down there alone!" protested Ron.

"We don't have time to argue about this. If you can find a broom, follow, but I only need a quick look in the mirror. Please, just make sure you stay in pairs. Remember, there is an impostor hanging around the school."

"The Castle was sealed as soon as the alarm was raised," said Professor McGonagall. "The staff are searching everywhere as we speak. I have every hope that the intruder may be trapped inside with us."

*

Ron helped Harry lift the heavy trap door. The hinges had been recently oiled but it was still an effort to lift it.

"Harry, I should come with you, mate."

"No, this old broom will never carry the both of us. I may need to do some quick mid-air manoeuvres. Here, take the map."

"But it won't show where you are down there. The chambers down there aren't on the map."

"No, but if you're lucky you might see the intruder."

Harry mounted the broom, walked to the edge of the trap door and stepped out into nothingness.

It took him some time before he gained enough control to slow his descent. Eventually, he came to a halt a few feet above the stone floor. The Devil's Snare was quite dead.

He looked up at the tiny square trap door high above.

"I'm fine," he shouted up.

Harry flew right through the key room, compensating for the way the old broom kept trying to veer off to the left. The keys had long since given up flying and were just strewn over the floor, quite inert.

The chess set was still there, but again nothing moved and the doors on the far side were wide open.

He flew straight across the room, his thin wandlight showing the way.

Harry dismounted when he arrived in the small potions room. This was the room he was most wary of, but the black flames at the doorways did not reappear and the table and potions bottles had all gone.

The troll room was empty, so he crossed silently to the last door.

He pushed the door ajar but was alarmed to realise that the chamber was bright with lanterns. He peered inside.

There was the large mirror, standing just as it has been before.

He was about to push the door open wider when he heard scuffling on the other side and the door was slammed shut in his face.

Harry shoved the door open just in time to see Hermione knock a wand out of her assailant's hand. He hurried inside, but the two of them were now wrestling with each other.

They spun around, and Harry was amazed to see that Hermione was fighting herself.

"Harry! Don't just stand there. Stun her!"

"Not me! She's the one!"

Harry was totally bemused. He had no idea which one was the real Hermione.

Hearing more noises from behind him, Harry took the pragmatic approach and just stunned them both. He knew the real Hermione would be livid with him, but he had no idea of the true identity of the intruder was yet.

"Harry?" shouted Ron from somewhere behind him.

"In here, Ron," yelled Harry, going over to pick up the wand from the floor. He recognised it at once as Hermione's wand.

Ron burst into the chamber, wand raised and panting hard. He was closely followed by Neville clutching a stitch in his side. Luna ambled in slowly.

"Ron, give Luna her wand back, will you?" said Harry.

"What? Oh, sorry, Luna. You should have said something."

Luna just smiled and tucked it behind her ear.

Harry cautiously stepped over and checked on the two unconscious Hermiones.

"Help me tie them both up, will you?" he asked.

Neville and Ron lifted each of them up to enable Harry to tie their hands tightly behind their backs.

"It's uncanny," breathed Ron. "They are more alike than Fred and George!"

"I suppose they must have used Polyjuice Potion after all. A Metamorphmagus couldn't keep the same form while knocked out, could they?"

"Yes, they can," said Ginny, staggering into the chamber.

"Ginny! Why didn't you stay in the Hospital?"

"Shut up, Ron," she retorted automatically. "Tonks told us she used to wake up looking like whatever she looked like when she fell asleep."

"I didn't know that," said Harry.

"Is there any way to force a Metamorphmagus to reveal their true self?"

"Not that I'm aware of?"

"Would Hermione know?" Harry asked shrewdly.

"Possibly, but one of them is bound to lie."

"True," said Harry, and his eyes fell upon the dusty mirror.

He walked up to it, remembering Dumbledore's words of warning. He hesitated before stepping right in front of the mirror, but found he couldn't stop himself.

Harry gasped seeing the reflection.

"What do you see, Harry?" asked Ron, realising from his reaction that he hadn't seem his parents again.

It took a moment for Harry to find his voice.

"It's true," he said at last. "I said before that the thing I wanted more than anything else in the world is to find Hermione."

"Does the mirror show which one is really her?"

"Um, no. It didn't. It just showed me untying her while the impostor mouthed obscenities at us."

"So, how do you know you released the right one?" asked Neville.

"The impostor was in her true form," he replied shakily. "It's Bellatrix Lestrange. The impostor is Bellatrix."

Neville blanched.

"Should we go and get Professor McGonagall?" asked Luna.

"No," said Neville. "Not yet. I'm not about to let Lestrange get away yet again. We must make her reveal herself."

"Neville, I'm not going to let you do something that will just put you in Azkaban," said Harry evenly.

"Who would know, though?" asked Ron.

"What would Hermione say?" asked Harry pointedly. "Now, come on. We have to figure this out. This place is crawling with Ministry people and I'd rather not trust them to decide for us. They might even arrest them both to make sure."

The others nodded.

Harry squatted down to examine the two girls closely.

"They are dressed identically, but this one has slightly dirtier clothes," he observed. "They are both much thinner in the face, though."

"Why would that be?" asked Ron.

"I imagine our Hermione has been held captive down here for some time," said Luna lightly.

"No," breathed Ron.

"The impostor had to change her appearance to match her captive."

"That's why they were fighting," said Harry. "Bellatrix had to release Hermione or tie herself up or we'd have known straight away."

"Did they have any signs of being tied up for long periods?"

"Both of them have cuts and deep bruises on their wrists and feet. Bellatrix isn't that stupid."

They were silent for a moment.

"I suppose we should wake them up," said Harry finally.

"Wait a moment, Harry," said Ginny. "We should all think of a question that only the real Hermione would know. Something personal."

"Did Hermione confide many secrets?" asked Harry.

Ginny sighed and shook her head no.

"Bellatrix taught Draco Malfoy how to do Occlumency," remembered Harry. "If she was also a Legilimens, she could have read Hermione's mind. Maybe that's how she impersonated her so successfully."

"No," said Ron. "There's no way we wouldn't have noticed something."

"Look at their faces, Ron," said Harry. "Our Hermione hasn't been with us for some time."

"But, it was her," Ron said weakly.

Harry stepped over to the mirror again. He was recalling Dumbledore's words to him.

"However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth."

"Okay, listen to me carefully. I'm going to wake them both up, and I want you to hang back and stay alert. If I decide to knock them both out again to give us more thinking time, I don't want any interference. Bellatrix is very dangerous. Let's not forget that. She's been clever enough to trick us for some time."

They all nodded.

"The other thing concerns their answers to your questions. I have to say, I was completely fooled. I think Bellatrix knows Hermione very well. It wouldn't surprise me if they both answered all your questions correctly."

"So, how will we tell?" asked Neville.

"Harry, what is it?" asked Ginny.

"I've got an idea, but I'm not sure it will work. To be honest, Hermione, I mean our Hermione, would probably see through it at once. The thing is, we need to find out a bit more than just which one is which."

"What have we got to lose?" asked Neville.

Harry pointed his wand down before looking up.

"Ready?" he asked. "Please try not to reveal any suspicions out loud. Remember, Bellatrix will try and make Hermione look like the guilty one."

"Okay," said Ron.

"Ennervate!"

One Hermione began to stir at once. Harry revived the second one almost immediately.

"Harry! Ron! All of you! Oh, thank goodness you are all alright!"

"I can't tell you how much I've missed you all!" said the second one.

Harry kept his expression neutral as he stepped in front of them.

"Harry?" they both said at the same time.

"You can see we have a little dilemma," he said evenly.

"She's a Metamorphmagus!"

"I've seen her change into Professor McGonagall, Harry!"

"I'd like the real Hermione to be quiet a moment while I explain what we're going to do," said Harry with a smile.

Two identical frowns were instantly directed up at him.

"We are going to ask you some questions. When I point to you, you many answer. You will not interrupt the other's answer. I should warn you, there are some of us that wouldn't be too bothered about the impostor not surviving to go back to Azkaban."

"No, Harry!"

"She has to go back to Azkaban, Harry."

"You'll only get yourself into serious trouble!"

Harry raised his wand, silencing them both at once.

"First question?"

Neville spoke first.

"You lent me a book three years ago, Hermione. I didn't return it until the last day of term. What was the title?"

Harry pointed at the Hermione on his left hand side.

"It was called, Potting for Pleasure and Profit, Neville."

"Why hadn't I returned it?"

Harry pointed to his right.

"Because you spilled ink all over the last Chapter and then burned several holes in the paper trying to remove it."

"What was," began Ginny, but Harry held up his hand to stop her.

"It seems to me that the impostor is either reading the real Hermione's mind for the answer, or maybe even reading our minds.

"If the real Hermione thinks of a deliberately wrong answer while the other one answers, we might actually get somewhere."

"Harry, you know that won't work!" said the Hermione to his left.

"Yes, she'll only read the questioner's mind," added the other. "They have to be thinking of the answer, don't they?"

"Logic!" said Ron suddenly making everyone except Harry turn to him. "Ask them each a question on something only the real Hermione can work out."

Both Hermiones rolled their eyes up at this.

"Haven't you been listening, Ron?"

Harry frowned slightly and said, "No, Ron's right. It's the answers that matter here, not the questions."

"What are you talking about, Harry?" asked one of the Hermiones with a distinctly annoyed tone.

Harry pointed his wand to the other Hermione.

"If you wanted to expose the other Hermione as a fake, what question would you ask?"

She looked up at him with genuine surprise.

"Wow Harry. That's a good question."

"Answer me."

"Well, let me think," she said, looking up at the high chamber ceiling. "I'd ask you a question, Harry."

"Go on."

"I'd ask, why haven't you looked at our names on the Marauder's map?"

"The map doesn't know about this chamber," answered Harry.

"Why not take us out to a place that is known to the map?" asked the other Hermione.

"There are two reasons," replied Harry. "Firstly, there is a risk of the Ministry people finding us and taking the situation out of our hands. Secondly, I half think we'd just see two Hermiones on the map."

"But, you can't be certain of that, can you?"

"Perhaps the Ministry should take charge of us. At least she'll be behind bars where she belongs."

"Okay, so what would your question be?" Harry asked, pointing to the other Hermione.

"I'd ask, Can a Metamorphmagus grow a limb back if it gets cut off?"

Harry smiled and said, "I think I can see where you're going with this. I'm not ready to allow the real Hermione to bleed to death just yet."

"It would solve the problem, though."

"Yes, Harry. If you killed us both you'd be certain you got the right one."

"That's enough," said Harry quietly. They both fell silent again.

"Stand up, both of you," he directed.

"Well, help me up then?" complained one.

"No. Get up on your own."

They both struggled to get to their feet with their hands bound behind their backs. Harry watched them both carefully, but both moved exactly how he'd expect Hermione to.

"I'd like each of you to stand in front of the mirror and tell us what you see."

"But, how will you know if we're lying or not?"

"Humour me?"

The nearest Hermione walked over and looked into the mirror.

"Describe what you can see."

Hermione stepped up to the mirror uncertainly.

"It just looks like a mirror, Harry. I can just see you and me standing together. Nothing else."

"You have to stand right in front of the mirror, Hermione," said Harry, stepping aside for her.

Her warm scent wafted over him.

"Oh, my! It's changed. I see … books, Harry. I'm surrounded by books. I'm holding one up. It's got my name on the cover. Gosh! I wrote it, Harry. No, I wrote lots of them!"

She looked straight at him and beamed before eagerly looking back into the mirror.

"One book is entitled, Harry Potter and the Defeat of the Dark Arts."

She frowned slightly and bit her lower lip.

"I can't seem to see the title of the book I'm holding. I seem particularly proud of that one.

"Oh, open it up you silly thing!" she said in frustration at her own reflection.

"Hang on, I'm opening the book up now. I can read the title. It says … oh, my!

"It's an autobiography. Voldemort - Dead by a Curse created by me and used by Harry Potter.

"What a dreadful title. I would never write a book with such an awful title, Harry. Maybe the mirror is faulty?"

Harry smiled and turned to see the other Hermione frowning at Ron.

"Honestly, Ron. Get a grip, will you? It's so embarrassing to think of you jumping around every time someone says Voldemort's name."

Ron failed to stop himself jerking violently a second time making the Hermione in front of the mirror roll her eyes at him.

"Okay, you can swap places now," said Harry.

The second Hermione walked hesitantly up to the mirror. Harry could see she was avoiding looking directly into the mirror, but didn't hurry her.

"What do you see?"

Hermione did not answer at once and continued to just stare into the mirror. There was a look of mild wonder on her face.

"What do you see?" he asked again.

"Um, I see myself."

"What else?"

She looked fleetingly into the mirror.

"Mum and Dad are there too," she said weakly, a tear falling down her cheek. "They are smiling and waving. I miss them so much."

"Go on."

"Um, I'd rather not answer, if it's all the same."

Both Neville and Ron redirected their wands at her. Harry shot them a sharp look and Neville moved his wand back to cover the other one.

"You could always lie to us about what you see," suggested Harry.

"If we both lie to you, how will you ever tell us apart?"

"Alright, so the real Hermione knows she will see something she doesn't want to share. The fake one has probably read her mind but can't see what it is. Even if she could, she couldn't reveal it anyway because the real Hermione wouldn't want to. With me so far?" he asked rhetorically.

"Now, the fake could have really seen almost anything. The only thing we can be certain of is that it wouldn't have been the same thing as the real Hermione saw."

Both Hermiones were frowning slightly now.

"Ah," said Luna softly, as if in understanding.

Ron turned to her and mouthed, "What?"

"So," continued Harry. "The real Hermione couldn't dare look properly. Tell me, what date were you kidnapped on?"

He pointed at one.

"July tenth."

"When was the last time you saw your parents?" he asked, pointing to the other.

"That same day, of course."

"When was the last time they wrote to you?"

"How should I know? I've been locked up down here all year!"

"Did your captor keep you conscious?"

"Yes, for some of the time. She needed to read my mind."

Harry continued to point alternately at each Hermione.

"You were particularly interested in Occlumency. Didn't you try to use it?"

"Yes, of course I tried!"

"What else did you try?"

"Obviously, I attempted to think of things that didn't happen. I wanted to make you suspicious of her."

"What was the biggest or most outrageous lie that you tried to fool her with?"

"Um, that I wanted to learn about make-up and things."

"You?" prompted Harry.

"That I no longer cared about the house elves."

Harry shook his head and continued, "No, tell me more lies you tried."

Hermione sighed and said, "I told her what I expected to smell from an Amortentia potion. Actually, I think she knew that was a lie."

"Any more?"

"I tried to get her to believe I'd asked Professor McGonagall if I could re-submit a Transfiguration essay because I'd dropped a few marks."

Harry stopped prompting for more.

"Okay," he said quietly, "I've decided."

"W-What? How?" spluttered Ron.

"Shh," said Luna at once.

"Tell me," said Harry, taking a step back, "does the real Hermione know I've become much better than the fake Hermione this year?"

"Yes, she said," they both answered at the same time. Both included the same annoyed sounding inflection.

"I don't just mean Potions, either."

"Really, Harry?"

He shoved one of them back in front of the mirror. She stood there with her eyes tight shut.

"Look into the mirror."

She shook her head.

"Imperio!"

"No!"

"Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror!"

She opened her eyes.

"Legilimens!" shouted Harry, pointing his wand at the side of her head. She screwed her face up in concentration, desperately trying to block his intrusive attempts to read her mind.

He saw a flash of the mirror frame and then her parents, but no more. She had blocked him out again. He pushed harder, but she resisted.

Harry lowered his and pushed her roughly to one side. He quickly grabbed the other Hermione by the scruff of her neck and pushed her towards the mirror.

"Look into the mirror."

This one shook her head too.

"Imperio!"

"Harry, no!"

"Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror! Look into the mirror!"

She opened her eyes.

"Legilimens!" he shouted again.

He only saw it for the briefest of moments, but it shocked him to his very core.

She screamed madly and barged into Harry with all her strength. Four stunners slammed into her and she was sent sprawling across the hard stone floor.

Harry gulped, realising what he had just done.

"Merlin! Look at her face," breathed Ron, coming over to her.

Her face seemed to be melting before their eyes.

"What's happening to her?"

"I, er," began Harry shakily, trying to collect his thoughts. "I'm afraid I projected something into her mind. I didn't mean it, but I was thinking it when she shoved me."

"What?"

Harry didn't answer but instead conjured a floating stretcher and levitated her limp body up. Neville pointed his wand at her and for just a moment Harry thought he was actually going to kill her.

"No, Neville," he said firmly. "We need to get answers from her."

Instead, strong ropes erupted from the end of Neville's wand, wrapping her securely to the stretcher.

"Thanks Neville. I want you all to take her upstairs to Professor McGonagall and keep guard over her. She's still dangerous, and there may by other Voldemort people around. Don't allow the Ministry people to take her away yet and make sure she remains unconscious for now. Okay?"

"What about you?"

"Hermione and I will be along in a moment. I need to apologise properly for what I made her go through."

Harry pointed his wand down at Hermione's bindings to release her.

Neither of them said anything until they could no longer hear the others returning up to the school.

*

"You don't need to apologise, Harry."

"Yes, I do," he said, extending a hand to help her up. "I shouldn't have dragged it out for so long. You did well with your Occlumency, by the way."

"Well, I've had a little time to practise."

"Don't be so modest. Now, let me tell you what we'll do now. I'll arrange for a slight diversion while we question her up in the castle. You will be forced to use a killing curse. Don't miss, though, will you?"

"W-What?"

He leaned in close and said quietly, "My dear Bella. She must be silenced. Lord Voldemort will require you to remain in this form for just a while longer. Fortunately, I had warning that you might be in need of some assistance right now."

She looked up at him with widening eyes.

"Ah, you're wondering why I didn't kill her straight away? If she were killed down here, Potter's friends would have been even more suspicious. Up there, they will be relaxed, believing they have thwarted my most loyal servant."

"My Lord!"

"Please don't act surprised, Bella. You may now be the only person alive that knows for certain that Lord Voldemort can possess Potter at will, but you should have known my powers rival the greatest wizards of all time."

"No, My Lord! You are the greatest of all wizards!"

He chuckled.

"How did you make her react like that, My Lord?"

"Oh, it was simple flesh melting potion. I took the antidote before coming down here, but I wetted my hand with the potion from a small bottle in my robes and brushed her face when she barged into me."

"Why did you risk exposing yourself now, Lord?"

"There is no risk to me; however, would I risk losing you? Bella, you have been foolish. Actually, I admire your guile as always, but know that it was a mistake not to confide in me."

"Forgive me, My Lord!"

"I already have, Bella. Lord Voldemort would have killed you otherwise. Now, if all goes to plan, you will have an opportunity to kill the Weasley girl in addition to Granger. However, the Lovegood girl and both boys must live. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, My Lord. May I ask why?"

"They will enter into my service, of course. They will die, but only when I am ready. The Lovegood girl will die when you have perfected her impersonation."

"My Lord, I already have that skill. I almost got the Weasley brat while I was impersonating her."

"I am pleased, Bella."

She looked up at him with adoring eyes.

"Show me?"

She transformed instantly into Luna.

"And the voice too?"

"Oh, I can probably speak too," she said dreamily.

"Perfect, Bella."

"Thank you, My Lord," she gushed, morphing back into Bellatrix. "Please, show me your true form?"

"In good time. Now, I know it was necessary for you to keep certain things that you have learned from me, Bella."

"I wanted to tell you, My Lord!"

"There has been no harm done. Potter was not my target this time. I actually considered targeting Granger, but I didn't think you could pull the deception off. However, there must be no more deceptions," he said seriously. "If Potter is getting close to find a way, however slim, to defeat me, I must know."

"He's not close, My Lord; but he has found a way. I also know the full Prophecy. Potter confided that to me in the Summer, but I only recently learned about the Horcruxes."

"Horcruxes?" he breathed angrily. "How?"

"Dumbledore."

"Well, at least that old fool can't interfere any longer."

"No, My Lord," she agreed timidly.

"Tell me, what did you see in the Mirror of Erised?"

Bellatrix blushed deeply.

He smiled and nodded in understanding.

"Come, Bella. Your destiny awaits!"

He held out his arm and bowed her through the doors. She smiled, transforming effortlessly into a gaunt looking Hermione and walked forward.

After a short walk they arrived back in the room with the giant chess set. They crossed the chequer floor and had got about half-way across when the door behind them slammed shut.

Ron advanced on them from behind, his wand raised. At the same time, Neville, Luna and Ginny emerged from behind the chess pieces.

"What is it?" asked Bellatrix, sounding and acting exactly like Hermione.

Neville walked right up to her and pointed his wand at her face.

"Neville?"

Harry stepped up beside him and said gently, "Neville, think about this."

"I've thought about nothing else for as long I can remember!"

"I can't let you do this," Harry said evenly, and Hermione's expression seemed to relax. "I can't let you do this alone," he added, raising his wand.

Her face suddenly twisted into a look of fury.

"You!"

Harry smiled and winked at her. Bellatrix hurled herself at him, but fell dead at their feet before the green flash had died away.

He reached up and placed a reassuring hand on Neville's shoulder.

"Thanks," he said. "She knew far too much to risk letting her live, but I'm grateful not to have had to do it alone."

Neville nodded weakly.

"Where's Hermione?"

"Over here, Harry," said Luna.

Harry walked up and took a small phial with a clear liquid from an inside pocket. He removed the stopper and poured two drops over her distorted lips.

Gradually, Hermione's skin began to tighten as the restorative potion began to take effect.

"What do we do with the body?" asked Luna. "We shouldn't leave the evidence lying around."

Hermione opened her eyes and Harry smiled down at her.

"When Hermione's up to it, I'd like her to transfigure Bellatrix into something easier to move. Then we'll decide what's to be done."

It took some time before Hermione was steady enough on her feet to transfigure the body. There was an awkward moment when Ron held out his arm to steady her but Hermione instinctively grabbed hold of Harry's arm.

Harry then sent the others back up to the school to call off the search and tell Professor McGonagall the truth about what had happened.

Ron had begun to protest but Luna silenced him, saying, "Harry has to be certain. We've killed who we thought was Bellatrix, but there is still a chance Harry will have to kill her too."

"W-What? No way! Why kill one if he wasn't absolutely sure?"

Harry guided Hermione back to the chamber with the Mirror of Erised, Ron's objections still echoing in his ears.

*

"Tell me, Severus," said Voldemort quietly. "How did you come to these conclusions?"

"Did I not explain?"

"Well, yes. However, I fail to understand how you came to know the details of Bellatrix's plan in such intimate detail, particularly as she kept so much from myself."

"I only put it together after I was informed that Ginny Weasley had been attacked by someone impersonating Luna Lovegood having been last seen in the company of Miss Hermione Granger," said Snape smoothly.

"It seemed obvious that as Miss Granger was still missing, the attacker had most likely been impersonating her."

"Wasn't it more likely that Miss Granger was in fact working under my subtle influences already?"

"Dumbledore didn't suspect her at all," replied Snape. "I know he allowed Potter to confide both in her and Weasley, although I do not know what he told them."

Voldemort's smile widened.

*

"How did you know it was me?"

"She gave herself away when we were alone, Hermione."

"But why am I still under suspicion?"

"Voldemort didn't know Bellatrix had kidnapped and replaced you."

"So?"

"Voldemort may well have had his own plans to get at you. That's what I'd have done. I'd have tried to control you or Ron."

"But wouldn't he have noticed that no reports were coming back to him?"

"No, not if Voldemort just wanted you to react to certain things. I think he would be quite content to leave you in place, ready to use when the time was right. He didn't intend for Bellatrix to be exposed, after all."

"Does that mean you can't risk leaving me alive?"

"Please go and stand in front of the mirror, Hermione."

"Why?"

"You know why. You looked, Hermione. I saw it in your mind."

"I don't want to."

"Come on," he prompted gently, tugging at her arm.

"How come you now know Legilimensy, anyway?"

"I don't know how much Bellatrix told you, but Dumbledore showed me a thing or two this year. Mostly it was a journey through his memories, using his Pensieve. Anyway, I think that while I was immersed in his memories, some of his skills stayed with me too. There were some things he wanted to make sure I understood about Voldemort, but mostly it was about me. I think that understanding allowed a few barriers within me to come down.

"I've done Legilimensy once before. It was on Snape by accident, but since the night Dumbledore died, I've been able to read odd flashes of what people are thinking. Bellatrix was just a blank before, obviously."

"I wish I could have gone to his funeral," said Hermione miserably.

"Me too. There were more than a few people there that were only pretending to be sorry he was gone. Quite a few clearly intend to use Dumbledore's death as an excuse to join Voldemort. No doubt they are hoping to protect their families."

"That isn't so surprising."

"Look into the mirror, Hermione."

Hermione wiped her face and raised her head. Harry stood behind her and placed his hands gently on her shoulders. He moved forward until the sides of their heads gently brushed together.

Harry was looking intently into the mirror, right into Hermione's eyes.

Harry frowned slightly and looked around the reflected image. It took him a moment to realise how the reflected image was different from the reality in front of the mirror.

The Hermione standing with him wasn't thin and pale. The doors leading out of the chamber showed a brightly-lit room and it looked like many people were gathered there for some kind of a celebration.

"Hermione, it isn't the same as last time. I think I'm seeing what I want."

"What do you see, Harry?"

"I see us, standing together. You are back to normal and there is some kind of party going on in the adjacent room."

Hermione turned and looked up at him with watery eyes.

"Stupid mirror," she said under her breath.

"Why do you say that? What did you see this time?"

"I saw the same thing as last time, except Mum and Dad walked off and joined the party. By the way, Harry, that was a ridiculous way to try and tell us apart."

"I was fairly sure I knew which one was you from the start. You had behaved out of character so many times over the months, but the thing that really hurt was your coldness towards me. She perfectly imitated your mannerisms, but you seemed so distant sometimes. It hurt when I stopped confiding some things in you."

Harry reached out and gently pulled her towards him. She leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his back.

He bowed his head, but glanced up to see their reflection in the mirror and gave a start.

"So, were you ever going to tell me?"

"You're just as bad as me."

"True," admitted Harry. "I just wish you could see it too."

"Harry, that cow has performed Legilimency on me for months trying to get more information. All I could do was try and learn how to read her mind back without her knowing."

"So, you can see what I see in the mirror?"

"It isn't very clear, actually."

"Dumbledore told me how this mirror works, Hermione. My deepest, most desperate desire of my heart is to have you safe by my side."

"Shame you have keep me away from the party, though," she joked.

"I wonder what they are celebrating?"

"I do wish you'd pay more attention, Harry."

"Sorry?"

She lifted a hand and waved it, making her reflection do the same thing.

"I still don't," he began, but looked again. He actually noticed the ring on his own reflected hand before the one on Hermione's reflected finger.

"Oh. I didn't realise I'd thought that far ahead."

"Harry, somehow I suspect the mirror is showing us a combined image. Your face looked a picture when you saw what I'd really seen in the mirror. I tried desperately to block it out. I didn't want her to see that."

They stood together for some time.

"You're going to have to explain everything to Ron, Hermione."

"What's Ron got to do with us?"

"Um, he may not quite realise what a disappointment he's going to have. I mean, I'd be devastated if it were me."

"Why?"

"Well, Hermione, quite a lot has happened since the summer," he said carefully.

"I'll say," she agreed. "I can't believe how much schoolwork I've missed. At least I won't have to pass my Apparition test."

Harry smiled down at her.

"Ready to go back up?"

"No," she said, cuddling him tighter. "Not just yet."

Harry nodded, quite content to remain where they were. In the meantime, their reflected counterparts had moved away a little, and were now kissing.

*

"My Lord, time is pressing. If we do not retrieve Bellatrix she will be captured or worse."

"If she has been exposed, her usefulness to me will have come to an end," explained Voldemort. "Attempting to rescue or even contract her now could compromise her, although that is not my main concern. No, we must leave her to her fate."

"What is your main concern, My Lord?"

"I never considered Granger to be a viable subject. She is becoming powerful and Potter would have noticed. I'm amazed he hadn't realised if indeed Bella really has been impersonating her. Indeed, I wonder if he did realise sub-consciously. He thinks of her often, you know?"

"Really?"

"Mm."

"And, your main concern?"

"Potter will be betrayed by someone very close to him, as were his parents. Bellatrix knew nothing of the traitor, but she was to help them if needed. It's alright, Severus, I know you want to ask."

"Who is it?" asked Snape.

Voldemort smiled to himself.

"All in good time, Severus. All in good time."

*

"I suppose you'll be suspecting everyone, now," said Hermione.

"Yes, I know. I keep thinking of Wormtail and how be betrayed my parents. Voldemort would think it most fitting to have someone just as close betray us."

Hermione held on to him tighter.

"Right now I don't think it can be Neville or Luna. They've been too distant from things this year. They'd have pushed harder to get more involved. That leaves Ginny, Ron and you."

Hermione shook her head slowly against his chest.

"I can't hear this now, Harry."

"Okay."

"I'd like to go and see Dumbledore's tomb," she said. "Then I want to see Mum and Dad before we go to stay with the Dursleys. I expect they will need to go into hiding."

Harry raised his eyebrows at her.

"Oh, I'm not about to risk losing your trust again. Besides, Voldemort is bound to send someone to collect Bellatrix. He must come for me."

"Yes, I thought about that. We need some way to tell them she's dead whilst not risking any charges being brought against us. Of course, I wondered if our traitor might not pass it on for us."

Hermione shivered.

"Um, Hermione? How would you have distinguished the both of you apart?"

"It's obvious, Harry. You should have asked us to name the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix."

"I didn't think that would work. Surely, you'd have been prevented from saying where it is in front of her. She'd just pretend not to be able to say it too."

"Harry, I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't an impostor. My Harry would never have thought of that!"

"Your Harry?"

"Aren't you?" she teased, a smile playing on her lips.

"I hope I am," he replied, leaning down to kiss her.

-

END

-

AN: This one-shot was created around an idea discarded from another story in-progress.

There are some massive plot holes here, I know. I can see no way that Bellatrix wouldn't run to Voldemort the moment she learned about the Horcruxes or the full Prophecy. Also, Harry's new-found skills need time to be acquired. Oh, well.

I was just trying to work through who it could be and how it could be done: I'm still convinced that there is a traitor and they will be very close to Harry.

I also think Bellatrix is impersonating someone in HBP, but I can't quite decide who!