Unofficial Portkey Archive

The importance of tea by Mudbloodcaz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The importance of tea

Mudbloodcaz

A/N:

Thanks to everyone who reviewed my first chapter. I have no idea how I came across the idea for the 'perfect tea' it might have been a conversation between me and Cinnamon_kisses.

Chapter 2

Harry, Hermione and their luggage finally arrived at the holiday cottage late in the afternoon. Harry lifted a hand to shield his eyes from the sun to get a better look at 'Rose Cottage.' It was a small, two-story stone cottage with a dark green front door and four shuttered windows. Hermione came to stand by a white gate with the words 'Rose Cottage' painted in pale pink.


"Oh, this place is divine," she said, looking up at the cottage with a smile on her face.


"You can see why they call it Rose Cottage," she said, pointing out the roses that climbed their way up one side of the cottage. Hermione giggled and Harry couldn't help but smile.


"I can't wait to start the holiday, come on!" she said, tugging on his arm. Harry let her drag him through the open gate, pulling their suitcases behind him. Her touch was warm on his arm and he missed it as she let go to open the front door.


After a quick exploration of the cottage, Harry and Hermione met back at the kitchen. Hermione took a seat at the kitchen table with Harry taking a seat opposite her. He looked at his watch.


"Its 5:40, what did you want to do?" he asked.


"Well, I think that most of the shops in the village will be closed for the day, and we still need to firecall Mrs.Weasley. Remus said that he would set up at connection for the duration of our stay, so why don't we do that first, then maybe we can unpack and see if we can find something to eat?" Hermione suggested.


"Sounds good to me."


"Okay," Hermione said and, standing up, she brought a small travel pouch full of floo powder from her pocket and threw a handful of it into the kitchen fireplace.


"The Burrow," she spoke clearly. Bright green flames shot up, and a few seconds later, Mrs. Weasley's head appeared in the flames.


"Hermione, good to see you have arrived safe and sound. I'll owl your parents to let them know that you made it," Mrs. Weasley said as she reached forward though the flames to kiss Hermione on the cheek.


"Harry too?" she asked.


"I made it safe too," Harry said, waving to her over Hermione's shoulder.


"How is everyone?" Hermione asked.


"Fine, just fine, dear. Bill and Fleur arrived early this morning; the bump seems to be getting bigger by the day, not long now," Mrs. Weasley said with a smile. Fleur was eight months pregnant with the first Weasley grandchild. Harry came to stand next to Hermione.


"Hello, Harry dear."


"How's Ron?" he asked.


"Still in a bit of a huff," Mrs. Weasley said with a hint of a grin.


"No, I'm not, Mum." Ron's head appeared in the fire and Mrs. Weasley moved away.


"Hey, you two," he said.


"Hello, Ron, we do really wish you were here," Hermione said sincerely. Ron nodded.


"How was the train journey?"


"Fine, but it was strange not having someone scoff the lunch twenty minutesinto the journey," Harry joked.


"Ha, bloody ha, so have you been kurfing yet?" he asked, and Hermione laughed, amused.


"It's called surfing, Ron, and no, we haven't, but we might do in a few days' time."


"Still sounds barmy to me, going up and down on the sea on one of those ironing board things."


"Each to their own, Ron," Hermione said before Mrs. Weasley's head appeared back in the flames.


"Sorry to break this up, but Charles is due in any moment. Hermione nodded and went to step away from the fire place.


"Before you go, here's a little food parcel to tide you over 'til you go to one of those Muggle supermarkets," she said, pushing a wicker basket though the flames.


"Thank you," Harry said, taking a hold of it. He placed it on the table.


"You two have a great time. The twins are saying don't do anything they wouldn't do," Ron said.


"Which isn't much," Harry said, laughing.


"We heard that," Fred or George's voice called. Ron just shook his head.


"Anyways, I'll see you guys later. Don't forget to buy me a souvenir or two."


"We won't, you enjoy yourself, too, and tell everyone we send our love," Hermione nodded. The flames were now dying down and Ron pulled his head away when suddenly Harry and Hermione heard Ginny's voice call though the weak flames.


"But I wanted to talk to Harry."


"It's too late, Ginny," Ron's voice said before the flames died.

Feeling a little perplexed, Harry turned to the wicker food basket. He opened it and started pulling out the food.


"Homemade sausage rolls, cheese and onion flan, pies and cold chicken," he said, listing the items.


"Yummy," Hermione said, opening the kitchen to find some plates. She eventually found them after the third cupboard and set them down on the table. Harry had nearly emptied the basket.


"I'm sure there is enough food here to feed the whole town," he said, lifting out a delicious looking chocolate cake.


"We are not sharing that with the town."


"Duly noted," Harry said as his hands closed around the last item in the basket. He lifted it out and smirked.


"Somehow I don't think it was Mrs. Weasley who put this in," he said, turning the bottle of fire whiskey over in his hands.


"No doubt the twins wanting us to have a 'good time,'" Hermione said, taking the bottle from Harry.


"You're not going to throw it away, are you?" Harry asked, worried.


"Of course not," she said, opening the fridge, and she placed the bottle inside.


"However, I'm very temped to have a slice of cake first," she said, looking at the cake.


"Well, why not? After all, we are on holiday," Harry suggested, and with a cheeky grin Hermione cut into the cake.


"How about some coffee?" Harry inquired.


"Is there any tea?"


"Yes."

A few minutes later, Harry placed a steaming mug of tea in front of Hermione. She raised it to her lips, blew on it to cool it, and took a sip. Seconds later her eyes closed and she let out a little moan.


"Don't you like it? Did I get it wrong?" Harry asked, afraid that he had messed up her mug of tea. Hermione opened her eyes and grinned.


"This is perfect, Harry, the best cup of tea I have had for a while, but how did you know?"


"Know what?" Harry asked.


"How I like my tea, everyone gets it wrong, even my dad gets it wrong. I like my tea -"


"Very strong with a dash of milk and no sugar?" Harry inquired. Hermione's jaw dropped.


"That's right, but how did you know?" she asked again. Harry shrugged his shoulders. Hermione took another sip and grinned happily.


"I don't know, I guess I just know if you know what I mean," Harry said.


"Yes, but I never remember you making me a cup of tea," Hermione said.


"Do you know the way I like my tea?" Harry asked.


"Let's find out," Hermione said, standing up and moving to the kettle. Harry watched as she made his mug of tea. A few minutes later, she placed the mug in front Harry and waited. He lifted the mug to his lips and took a small sip.


"How is it?" Hermione asked, nervously biting her lip.


"It's…perfect." He smiled at Hermione and she grinned back.


"Lots of milk and two sugars?" she questioned. Harry nodded and they both burst out laughing.


"It's strange how we both know how we take our tea. I can't even begin to think how Ron likes his tea."