Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fate's Decision by moogle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fate's Decision

moogle

Disclaimer: I did not create any of the Harry Potter characters, (sadly), that was all JKR.

Warning: Book 5 spoilers

A/N: This is for a challenge type thing, if you will, on the West Tower; click the link to see the other entries. http://www.westtower.proboards99.com/index.cgi?board=potters&action=display&thread=1154554149

Fate's Decision

The man paced up and down the small room. His face was twisted with worry and his hazel eyes glittered with pain. Running a tired hand through his already messy raven hair, the man stared at the clock.

"C'mon." he growled, "Time is running out!"

The door opened and a wizened old man, with a long white beard came out. "James." He said sorrowfully, "I'm afraid it's true. Your son is in danger."

James sat down on the seat, shattered; once Voldemort targeted you, it was highly unlikely you would live. "What would you have me do?" he asked in a broken voice.

"Go into hiding." Dumbledore said firmly.

"Where?" James asked quickly, "Where can I possibly hide from Voldemort?"

Dumbledore was about to speak when a handsome man walked in through the door. His elegant brown hair hung loosely around his face and his dark eyes, which would normally be twinkling mischievously, only held sorrow. "Sorry I'm late." The man said quickly and sat down by James. "So what happened?"

Dumbledore gazed at the man, "Sirius, you're here?"

James fired up at that, "He's my friend Dumbledore, I trust him with my life!"

Sirius smiled at James and looked back at Dumbledore, "So?"

Dumbledore sighed, "We have come to the conclusion that Neville Longbottom and Harry Potter are the two children of the prophecy. I have already spoken to the Longbottoms and they have gone into hiding."

Sirius looked at James' white face and stared back at Dumbledore, "So, little harry, he's-"

Dumbledore nodded, "I was just telling James the best thing would be to go into hiding. I myself will be your secret keeper." Dumbledore said firmly

James shook his head; "I want Sirius to be my secret keeper, no offence Dumbledore but I'd just prefer it that way."

Dumbledore merely nodded, showing no trace of his thoughts. "Very well, I have prepared Godric's Hollow for your sanctuary. I'm sure my old home will be most comfortable for you."

James nodded, "Thankyou." He said holding out his hand.

Dumbledore shook his hand and nodded to Sirius, "May fate be on our side." He said softly as the two men left.

Sirius looked at James as they apparated outside the Potter's house. "James."

"Yeah?" James said casually as he walked up to the door.

"I was thinking, perhaps me being your secret keeper isn't such a good idea."

James stopped and looked at his friend, "Why?"

"Well," Sirius said slowly, "Voldemort knows I'm your friend and they would most likely come to me first."

"What are you getting at?" James asked frowning.

"I think you should make Peter your secret keeper." Sirius said bluntly.

"Peter?" James laughed and stopped when he saw the serious look in his friend's eyes. "You're not joking, are you?"

Sirius shook his head, "Think about it James, who would suspect that blundering fool to be made secret keeper."

"But what if he gets hurt?" James said anxiously.

Sirius scoffed, "We'll get him into hiding, don't you worry."

James nodded, "Alright, I'll see him later, first I have to tell Lily what's happening."

Sirius agreed and started to walk away when he suddenly stopped, "Oh and James."

"Yeah?" James said as he opened the door.

"When this is all over, why don't we go play some Quidditch?" he said with a boyish grin.

James laughed, "That would be good. Little Harry hasn't seen me fly yet."

Sirius laughed, "Big head."

James grinned, "Takes one to know one."

Sirius laughed and waved as he disapparted, leaving James alone on the porch.

"James, honey, is that you?" A woman with long auburn hair and startling green eyes called out as she came outside. In her arms was a small baby boy with little tufts of black hair and almond shaped emerald eyes, just like his mother.

James leaned over to kiss her on the lips and gently steered her inside, "I went and saw Dumbledore today."

Lily stared at her husband searchingly, "And?"

James sighed, "It is as we feared, Lily, Harry is a child of the prophecy."

Lily let out a small sob and clutched the baby closer to her, "Not Harry." She choked.

James nodded and pulled her into his arms, "It'll be alright though," he said softly slightly as he touched her cheek, "Dumbledore has prepared Godrics Hollow for us, we're going there tonight."

Lily pulled away and looked at James fiercely, "Then let's get ready! No one is taking my son from me."

James smiled, "Yes ma'am."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The next few hours were spent preparing for when they would leave for Godric's Hollow. Peter Pettigrew, James' old high school friend, had come and gone and performed the fidelus charm, he himself was now hiding and soon it would be James, Lily and Harry's turn to leave.

"Lily, we must go now." James said softly.

Lily picked up her sleeping child and looked at James, "We'll be okay, right?"

James nodded and pulled Lily and their child close to him, "We'll be fine."

The portkey he was holding activated and all three Potters promptly disappeared from the house.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Once more James found himself staring at the clock. It was almost 10pm and he had a strange feeling something big was about to happen.

"James, stop staring at that clock!" Lily scolded from beside the crib she was putting baby Harry in.

James smiled and walked over pulling her into his strong arms. "Or you'll do what?" he asked smirking slightly as he kissed her lips passionately. James felt Lily smile as she responded to kiss, wrapping an arm around him.

A sudden sound stopped them and James instantly pulled away.

"What was that?" Lily asked fearfully.

James pulled out his wand and walked out of the room giving a wary glance at Lily.

Lily walked over and looked at Harry, who had woken up from the sudden noise and started crying. "Shh, shh, Harry, it's okay." She soothed.

"Lily, he's here!" James' panicked voice shouted, "Get Harry out of here!"

Lily glanced through the window and saw the dreaded red eyes smiling under the black hood, "Don't bother." He hissed, "There's no way out."

Lily gasped in fear and ran over to her crying baby. She could hear talking coming from the next room and a muffled shout as a duel began. Cradling the baby, she whispered soothing words to Harry, trying to ignore the tears that slid down her face onto his pale cheek.

Voldemort laughed as he stared into James' hazel eyes, "Beg for mercy and I might let you live."

"I'll never beg to you!" James spat and sent a curse.

"It's not you I want." Voldemort said harshly, "Just give me the boy and I'll let you and your wife live."

"You're not touching Harry!" James yelled and ran forward just as the jet of green light soared towards him, hitting him hard in the chest.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!" Lily screamed as she watched James' body crumple on the ground.

Voldemort looked up at her with a cold smile, "Now the boy, give him to me."

Lily stood in front of the crib, where she had placed Harry, "No," she pleaded, "Please, not Harry, take me instead, just don't kill my son!"

Voldemort laughed, "Stand aside you silly girl."

Lily shook her head and stood her ground, "I won't let you take him."

"Then I'll have to make you move myself." Voldemort said coldly, "Avada Kedavra!" he yelled and smiled grimly as Lily's body fell to the ground, dying instantly.

"Now then," Voldemort said softly as he walked towards the crib, "I can finally get rid of you."

He smiled and touched the baby's cheek, "You're life is at an end little child." Voldemort whispered and brought his wand up as he said the deadly words. The jet of green light streaked through the air and hit the child in the head but instead of killing the boy a piercing shriek filled the air and a magical force more powerful than anything Voldemort had ever felt struck towards him, tearing his very body soul apart. A loud BOOM echoed through the night as the house was shredded to pieces from the magic. Voldemort screamed, as his body broke apart, his very essence almost disintegrating.

Soon nothing could be heard except for the loud wails of the small child, his crib being the only thing left of the house. The child appeared to be perfectly fine, except where a small trickle of blood dripped from a lightening shaped cut.

That scar would make the child legendary and all who saw it would remember this night. When fate chose to make Harry Potter a hero.


-->