Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hopeful Moments by Paracelsus
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hopeful Moments

Paracelsus

(A/N: One last scene, not much more than a cookie really. Those of you who read my LiveJournal will know what prompted it. This takes place in the summer before Hope's second year at Hogwarts, on or near her birthday. Proofreading thanks to MirielleGrey, who had a similar experience with her own young daughter.)

(Disclaimer: All right, yes, I finally admit it. I am JKR. I've been writing my books for the unwashed masses - here, on Portkey, is where I write for a more discerning audience. And if you believe me, I have some beachfront property in Tibet to sell you.)

*************************************

"Hopeful Moments"

by Paracelsus

*

III: The Joy of Womanhood

*

Hope stared at her mother as if she'd gone barmy. Or, rather, more barmy than usual. "Please tell me you're kidding," she finally said.

"Nope," said Luna cheerfully.

"Once a month," Hope clarified. "Every month. Forever."

"Or until you run out of eggs," Luna agreed. "Whichever comes first."

Hope blinked owlishly at Luna, trying to think of a reasonable response. "And no one's looking for a cure?"

Luna's smile broadened. "It's not exactly a disease, gosling." She cocked her head curiously. "I can't believe this is new information to you."

"Well, um, yeah, in broad terms… but really, um, I wasn't expecting… that is…" Hope shook her head and strove to be clinical. "I think second-year girls have a… well, they call it a 'seminar'… with Madam Pomfrey. No one's actually come out and said what it's about, but all the firstie girls know." She seemed very interested in the covers of the books on her bedroom bookshelf, as she added, "And, erm, Isabeau and Michelle might have said something about it, too."

"I thought as much. Isabeau probably can't wait," Luna speculated.

"Yeah, Michelle said that's when their Veela powers will come into full force." Hope grimaced. "I really hope Aunt Fleur can teach them how to turn them off. They've been causing enough problems, at least among our own year."

"I'm sure Fleur has already told the Twins what they can expect once puberty hits. In detail."

"Yeesh. Aunt Fleur already has them wearing training bras. And they're talking about it non-stop." She rolled her eyes. "You'd think they were in a race to see who can get their period first. The dorm hasn't exactly been… uh…"

"Tranquil? Mm, no, I wouldn't imagine." Luna ran an appraising eye over her daughter's figure. "Well, princess, I suspect you don't have anything to worry about for a while yet. But I thought you should know about it in advance, so you won't panic when it happens for the first time. Not that I'd expect you to panic, you're usually quite level-headed, but you probably won't get any warning, and it isn't what you're used to."

"Oh, joy. I'll never wear white again."

"Nonsense. That's what Scourgify is for." Luna's brow creased slightly in thought. "Didn't Hermione mention anything about this?"

It was asked quite nonchalantly. Anyone who didn't know Luna would have noticed nothing out of the ordinary… for Luna, at any rate.

Hope, who did know Luna, tried to respond with equal nonchalance. "I asked her about her first time. She says she doesn't remember it, because she was petrified by a basilisk when it happened. She told me to talk to you."

Appeased, Luna closed her eyes in remembrance. "Ah. For me, it first happened in the bath. I recall asking Daddy if a billywig had stung me somewhere I couldn't see. Poor Daddy. He had to try to explain menstruation all by himself. I still don't see why he should be so embarrassed - I think he did quite a creditable job. After all, when you consider the matter, it does seem too improbable to be believed."

"Uh, yeah. I guess it is, isn't it?" Evidently the books on the shelf were the most fascinating items in the room. At any rate, they had Hope's undivided attention.

"Well, it's all part of being a witch," said Luna, still cheerful. "I'll make sure Madam Pomfrey has her potions, just in case… I remember getting them from her when I was at Hogwarts. I don't suppose they've changed…" Seeing Hope desperately trying to not look as though she were listening, Luna added, "I do have to say that witches' monthly potions beat Muggle methods all hollow. Not just the pain-killers, but flow-control. Muggle women use… well, it's very odd. And it looks uncomfortable, too."

"That's okay," said Hope hastily, crossing her legs. "Really."

"We can talk about it more, when your time is closer," Luna concluded. "Did you have any questions?"

Hope considered, still not meeting Luna's direct gaze. "Will I have to wear a training bra, too?" she asked after a long pause.

Luna blinked. "Well, that depends." She glanced down at her own breasts. "What exactly do you want to train them to do?"

It had taken twelve years, but Luna had finally managed to embarrass her daughter.