Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Is Love? - Future Cookies by d&gforever
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Is Love? - Future Cookies

d&gforever

Author's note: I tried and tried to write a Christmas story. I have over forty pages in MS Word but I couldn't pull it together. I'm sure these pages will show up in a month or two in my story 'What Love Is For'. But for now here is a little New Year's story.

The New Year's Ball

----------***********-----------

Ginny sat at her dressing table, finishing her makeup. The expecting mother was truly glowing this evening. She hadn't felt this good about herself for a couple of weeks. The redhead was a little upset about her size at the beginning of the holiday season. When she went to get her dresses made for the upcoming balls, she measured closer to the size of a witch in her eigthth month, not her sixth. Draco had been wonderful. He was supportive of her feelings while not caring about her size.

The blond wizard believed she was over-reacting. However, he did remember that going to a spin class with Fleur before her pregnancy had increased her self asteem. He located a fittness center with exercise classes for expecting mothers. Instead of telling her about the class or signing her up, he joined the club and had his wife meet him there before a lunch date. The blond wizard made sure the mothers' exercise class was going on at that time. Once Ginny saw it, she decided to join. Going to the class three times a week didn't change her growing size, but it did increase her energy and decrease many of her little aches and pains.

"You're missing something", Draco whispered as he placed a beautiful diamond and sapphire necklace on her. The blond wizard kissed her check. "I love you, Gin."

She turned and kissed his cheek. "Love you, back. Are the boys still here?"

"They're at the Burrow. Your mother has a full house and she's as happy as the boys on Christmas morning."

Ginny placed the matching earrings and bracelet on and touched her hair. Merlin, she loved being married to a wealthy wizard at times like these. The best hairdresser in wizarding London had come to her home earlier and done her hair. In moments, she would be going to the most exclusive ball of the year in a one of a kind designer gown. Best of all, she would be on the arm of a wizard she loved and who loved her.

"Draco, I'm ready." She stood and went to her husband.

"One minute, Gin. I'll get our cloaks and we'll Apparate from here." To her surprise he walked into his dressing room and removed a large box. He placed it on the bed and opened it, revealing a beautiful black mink full-length coat. The wizard placed the coat lovingly on his wife. Ginny instantly noticed that it covered her extended abdomen.

"Draco…" she started but he kissed her, quieting her.

"You need something warm to wear. Your old cloak isn't any good. Now, please take my arm so I can Apparate us to Parkinson Manor."

----------***********-----------

Draco removed his wife's coat in the hallway and handed it to the house elf. The couple walked into the ballroom, which was already full. They greeted Rose Parkinson, who was merrily announcing the outstanding health of her five-month-old granddaughter and the expected arrival of her second grandchild in August. "A marriage and two grandchildren in three years! I couldn't ask for more", Rose happily stated. Narcissa stood close to her friend and beamed. It was a testimony to the close friendship of the society witches that Narcissa let Rose have the social ball of the year. After the war, it was the only thing, besides Pansy, that seemed to make Rose happy.

Lucius quickly made his way to his daughter-in-law. Ginny was wearing a dark, goldenrod dress. The color went wonderfully with her skin tone, hair and accentuated the bright cinnamon tint of her eyes. Lucius kissed the hand of the captivatingly beautiful witch. Pregnancy agreed with her. She carried it so well. "Ginevra, you are enchanting this evening, simply glowing!" Lucius stated in awe. "Happy New Year, my dear!"

Ginny couldn't help but blush at his heartfelt words. "Thank you, Lucius. Happy New Year to you!" She kissed his cheek softly.

"Come, I have some clients that would like to speak with you." Lucius took her left arm and tried to lead her away from his son.

Draco moved his arm around his wife's waist and held her firmly. He cleared his throat. "Father?"

"I'll bring her back, Son."

The blond wizard eyed his father. "I think I'll accompany her."

"If you must. Nevertheless, I insist on escorting her. Your mother is busy helping Rose greet guests and I must have a gorgeous witch on my arm", Lucius stated.

Ginny's cheeks reddened further. Draco shook his head. "This one is mine, Father. I don't share her well. Merely ask my sons."

Lucius softly chuckled, "I've heard." He paused. "Well then, will you and your wife join me?"

"Of course, Father." Draco smirked. "Gin, please don't be too charming to these men. They don't deserve it."

Davis Spenser, a balding sixty-year-old wizard stepped forward and smiled at her. He took her right hand and kissed the back of it. "Ginevra, exquisite as always! Happy New Year, love!"

His son Gavin, a strikingly handsome Ravenclaw who was in Fred and George's year, removed her hand from the older man's and kissed it. "Ginevra, you are simply breathtaking." He made to kiss her cheek, but Draco stepped forward stopping him. "I see you still have this old bloke attached to you. Haven't you grown tired of him yet?"

Draco smirked at the man and placed his hand on her extended belly. "It would appear not."

Gavin ignored Draco and spoke to Ginny. "You will save a dance for me?"

The blond wizard led his wife to take a step away from the dark haired Ravenclaw. "Her dance card is full."

"I'm sure you'll have time for a Quickstep. Tonight's band is known for their twist on them. You are the best dancer here." He kissed her hand again. "Among your many other talents. Lucius was just bragging about your latest business find."

"Being able to Floo without spinning has been on the top of every witch's wish list after her first pregnancy. The inventor was dense for hiding that information in the middle of his proposal. It was lucky I found it, like Draco, I had discarded it after the first page. Then a couple of days ago, I had Cam reading it to me to keep him busy." She paused. "Someone really needs to explain to inventors how to write proposals."

Gavin smiled at her. "Modest, aren't you? You found the last five successful business ventures for Malfoy International."

"That's nice of you to say, Gavin. However, I've had nothing to do with Malfoy Potions Unlimited," Ginny replied. "It has been our most triumphant new business."

"Oh yes, I believe the potion company was Lucius' idea."

"Draco put the company together, hiring the perfect personnel. That's why the company is so successful. Healer Sanders has developed more potions in the last year than he did in the last five at the Ministry. Draco's knowledge of potions enables him to facilitate the company's research and development." She paused and bowed her head to the wizards. "You'll have to excuse us, gentlemen. I promised Mrs. Wells an audience before dinner."

She turned and headed for the older witch. Draco looked over his shoulder one last time and stared at Gavin. "If I could, I'd stop all business with that man."

Ginny kissed his cheek. "But you can't. Their company is the only one allowed to sell many ingredients."

"He needs to show you more respect", Draco hissed.

The red haired witch giggled. "He flirts with me. You're jealous and he is harmless.

"Harmless! I think not." Draco sneered. "I know he contacted you after the marriage law was repelled. He also seems to Owl you after any of our public rows."

Ginny nodded. "Yes. He is a git. You have nothing to worry about." She kissed him lovingly.

----------**********----------

Diane sat down at a table with Pansy, Padma, Parvati and Ginny. "Why didn't any of you explain Christmas morning to me? Good Merlin, I didn't know the boys would come into the room at five a.m. They wouldn't leave either. Greg wasn't any help. There I was in my birthday robe under the covers with two excited boys pulling at them."

The other witches giggled. "It's best to dress after Christmas Eve activities", Parvati offered before smiling and adding. "And there will always be activities."

"Something does get into wizards on that night", Padma agreed.

Pansy looked at the others, dreamy-eyed. "I think it's playing Father Christmas that puts them in a very giving mood. Blaise was outstanding this year."

"Yes. I think you're correct about wizards." Ginny turned to Diane. "Children get up very early on Christmas morning." She placed her hand to her mouth to stop her laughter. "I'll never forget four Christmases ago. Draco and I were having a little fun that morning when we felt someone tickling our feet. We looked down to see three-year-old Thuban and two-year-old Cam at the foot of our bed."

Diane cleared her throat and hissed playfully. "That information would have been helpful a few days ago."

The witches laughed. "At least they were too young to remember, Ginny." Parvati turned to her sister. "Didn't you give her the talk about locking charms?"

"I didn't think about it. Goyle should have remembered them", Padma replied.

Pansy shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe the rumors about him not touching Lavender after Gary was born were true." The raven-haired witch turned to her young friend. "Use locking and silencing charms every night. Blaise and I learned that from watching Ginny's boys."

"Blimey, were they young then too?" Diane required.

The redhead nodded. "Thankfully. However, last Christmas when Serpens walked in on Lucius and Narcissa, he asked some very pointed questions."

A red faced Draco placed a glass of water in front of his wife. "Gin, I don't think…"

She patted his arm. "It was a bit too much for Draco. Wizards don't want to believe their mothers partake…"

"Really, Gin", he growled.

"Come on, Draco", Pansy teased. "How do you think you got here?"

"I know how I got here", he hissed. "Don't want or need to think about it."

Padma looked across the room at the older Malfoy couple. Narcissa was sitting at their table with Lucius' arm placed lovingly around her shoulder. "I hope Vincent and I are still in love after all that time."

"Their love is special", Pansy said. "They have always had a happy marriage", she paused. "I didn't know anyone who has been married as long as them that is as happy as they are together."

"They work at it", Draco stated. "That's one thing they taught me. You have to work to have a good marriage. Love will help you through the very hard times, but a marriage can't grow with only that one thing."

"So, marriage is a job?" Padma questioned.

"It's a joy." The blond wizard replied, thinking fast. "However, you can't take it for granted."

The rest of the wizards sat down at the table. "What kind of trouble are you getting us into, Malfoy?" Michael Corner asked.

"No trouble at all. Unless you're not keeping your wife happy, Corner."

Michael sighed, "It's a good thing I enjoy dancing. I think I'll be doing a lot of it tonight."

"A walk through the enchanted garden would be nice also", Parvati voiced.

"Before or after dinner, my love?"

"Now would be nice." He assisted her to her feet and the couple walked off.

"He's not happy sitting with us", Pansy stated.

Padma shook her head. "He's not happy to be here. Goldstein's having a party tonight. They usually go there. Parvati was so excited when they got your invitation, Pansy. An evening of dinner and dancing is much better than an evening of drinking."

"For a witch", Greg interjected.

Ginny giggled, "Someone's going to be sleeping on the sofa tonight."

The hefty wizard grinned at the red haired witch. "I'm a newlywed."

"Uh-uh, you have a lot to learn. Being a newlywed makes you more likely to be assigned to the sofa", Padma added.

"My wife enjoys my company too much", Greg cockily replied.

Diane shook her head. Pansy patted her hand. "We'll help you train this one up right this time." The raven-haired witch smirked at her old housemate. "Goyle, think romance for once."

Draco glanced at his long time friend. "I think it's time, Greg."

The large Slytherin reached into his robe, removed a long stemmed white rose and handed to his new wife.

"The red rose whispers of passion,

And the white rose breathes of love;

O, the red rose is a falcon,

And the white rose is a dove.

But I send you a cream-white rosebud

With a flush on its petal tips;

For the love that is purest and sweetest

Has a kiss of desire on the lips." *

Greg whispered to Diane loud enough for everyone to hear. The wizard then kissed her lovingly.

Michael Corner helped Parvati sit down in her chair as the kiss ended. "Well, I hope we haven't missed too much?"

The first course appeared on the table. "It would appear not", Blaise laughed. He noticed that Draco was leaning towards Ginny's ear. "Malfoy", he paused. "We have a deal."

"Sorry, Blaise. I almost forgot myself."

"What's going on?" Padma inquired.

Vincent turned to his wife.

"I thank you for the time we shared when we've been together

I thank you for the sunshine you make me feel in time of stormy weather.

I thank you for the better person you've made me be today

I thank you for the love you give me in your special way.

I love the way you've looked at me, that fire in your eyes,

The warmth of your touch, the smell of your hair, is always a surprise.

I thank you for our times away, the memories make me smile,

I pray for the chance to hold you close and go that extra mile.

I want you to know the happiness I feel, and though we might be apart

I'll never forget the warmth inside and the joy you gave my heart." **

He kissed her softly on the lips and then turned to face the table. "Romance for every witch tonight." Vincent grinned. "Remember gentlemen, your wives are on your left."

"And your wife is wearing brown, while mine is wearing blue, Crabbe", Michael chuckled.

Vincent waved his hand. "I don't need to remember that. Victor taught me how to tell them apart years ago."

"I knew there had to be a way", Diane stated. "Have you ever noticed that even from behind Padma and Parvati's children can tell them apart?"

Michael nodded. "That has to be a sixth sense. Once Padma re-tucked Calvin into bed, the boy had his eyes closed the whole time. When she kissed his cheek, he said 'Good night, Aunt Padma.'"

"They know by smell", Parvati put in.

Greg gave her a sad look. "Don't be so hard on yourself, Parvati. You don't stink." The wizard started to chuckle.

"Shut it, Goyle." She rolled her eyes. "Padma, how do you put up with him?"

"We lock him in the broom cupboard when we need a break", Pansy gleefully replied.

The group chatted about the many ways to tell the Patil twins apart until the second course was served. At that time, Blaise turned to Pansy.

"I love you so deeply,
I love you so much,
I love the sound of your voice
And the way that we touch.
I love your warm smile
And your kind, thoughtful way,
The joy that you bring
To my life every day.
I love you today
As I have from the start,
And I'll love you forever
With all of my heart." ***

He kissed his wife. "Thank you, Pans for always being there for me." During this course the couples spent some of their time whispering to their spouses.

When the third course was served, Michael spoke.

"There are dreams which come and go
And to us mean so little
And other dreams that to us are
No more than just a riddle.

But every dream which I now have
Are dreams you give me of
Those sensual touches in the night
Which to me gives your love.

How I love the dreams of us
As all the dreams to be
Where both our souls shall share their kiss,
Exciting hungrily.

Let every dream between become
Our dreams of ecstasy
And every dream the life of us;
In joy's eternity." ****

The witches smiled at their husbands as Michael and Parvati kissed. None of them liked Corner, but they had included him for Padma. During the third course the group discussed the actions of their children on Christmas morning. Even new parents Blaise and Pansy had something to add to the conversation.

Draco glazed lovingly into Ginny's eyes while holding her hand after the fourth course was placed on the table.

"A special world for you and me
A special bond one cannot see
It wraps us up in its cocoon
And holds us fiercely in its womb.

Its fingers spread like fine spun gold
Gently nestling us to the fold
Like silken thread it holds us fast
Bonds like this are meant to last.

And though at times a thread may break
A new one forms in its wake
To bind us closer and keep us strong
In a special world, where we belong." *****

He kissed her cheek and whispered, "I love you, Gin", into her ear.

"That's cheating, Malfoy", Goyle announced.

Draco smirked. "I get to cheat. You blokes hijacked my romance."

"Well, then. You will save us at the next course. Goyle started early", Blaise advised.

"I'll come up with something." The blond responded.

As they ate, the witches shared stories about romantic things that their husbands had done in the past year. When dessert was served all eyes went to Draco.

"Love is a hand,

Held fast in your own

Love is a kiss

The sweetest you've known.

Love is joy,

You feel from the start

Love is a dream,

You keep in your heart.

Love is the brightness

You bring to each room

Love is our child,

You carry in your womb."

He placed his hand on Ginny's tummy. "A little sappy, but mine."

"We have a winner", Blaise announced. "Romantic of the year, Draco Malfoy."

"That's an idea. Let us see which one of us can romance our wives the best. Ladies, would you mind?" Draco inquired.

"A bet you can't lose? Why would we?" Pansy replied while the other witches nodded.

When the dessert dishes disappeared from the table, two roses appeared in front of each witch. The wizards smiled and spoke as one.

"All the love that history knows,
is said to be in every rose.
Yet all that could be found in two,
is less than what I feel for you." ******

While the band took its place on the stage, the five wizards stood and addressed their wives. "Would you care to dance, darling?" The witches grinned, took the hand of their husbands and headed for the dance floor. This was going to be a wonderful start to the New Year.

----------**********----------

* A White Rose by J B O'Reilly

** I Thank You by Richard Cash

*** I Will Love You Forever by Amanda Nicole Martinez

**** Dreams by Michael Douglas Hoss

***** A Special World by Sheelagh Lennon

****** Author Unknown