Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 3 by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 3

spacegal

A slight hint of sexual nature!

Chapter 6: Face Off, Quidditch and Dementors

"He's barmy!" Ron exclaimed. "He is a complete and utter loony!"

"So you've said," Hermione informed him as she looked through her bag.

"Why on earth did Dumbledore give him the job?" Ron asked.

"Because the Fat Lady refuses to take the job back unless she has protection in case dad comes back to attack her," Mia explained as they made their way down the corridor away from the portrait of Sir Cadogan - the same portrait that they had met back on their first day of classes.

"He's a nightmare," Harry agreed with Ron. "He changes the password so often that it's annoying! I don't have time to memorize several passwords each day!"

"I know but that's the way it is. The Fat Lady refuses to come back without any protection. Dumbledore is looking for the culprit but it's not easy as he has to keep an eye on the Dementors and look out for Sirius," Hermione explained.

"Lets just hope that it's over soon and that the Fat Lady will come back," Harry told Ron and Mia, who just grumbled in response as they walked downstairs to get their breakfast.

They all sat down at their usual tables and eagerly tucked into their food when Ginny walked over towards Harry once more.

"Good morning Harry," greeted Ginny as she sat down on Harry's left. Harry moved away from her and closer to Hermione. She had started looking at Harry curiously when she had caught sight of Ginny.

"Morning Ginny," Harry replied in a neutral tone. Hermione rolled her eyes and wrapped an arm around Harry's elbow before winking at Mia.

"Harry, you're not cheating on me already, are you?" Hermione teased, causing Harry's head to whip around to face her, shocked at what was happening. Ginny just stared at Hermione like she had grown two heads. Mia and Ron shared an amused grin before they turned back to watch the show in front of them.

"Cheating?" Ginny asked, her voice frosty. Hermione just smiled sweetly and rested her head on Harry's shoulder before she looked up at Harry through her eyelashes.

"I mean, surely you can't be that bored of me already... especially not after last night," she hinted. Harry just gulped as he continued to stare down at Hermione and noticed that his thoughts were starting to take him in directions they really shouldn't go this early in the morning.

"Last night?" Ginny ground out, her thoughts racing over what could have happened the night before.

"Of course not, how can I possible be bored with you? Last night was just wonderful," Harry flirted back and Hermione shot him a saucy smile. She ran a hand up his chest and started fiddling with the buttons on his shirt as she bit her bottom lip, a faint blush coming over her face. She couldn't believe what she was doing but she liked it a lot.

Harry's hand came up and covered hers, stilling her movement. "Now, now, we ended up doing a lot of things last night because you started doing that," Harry playfully scolded her.

Neither of them saw that Ginny had heard enough; she got up and stomped off. Ron and Mia just continued to stare at the other two before Mia rolled her eyes and threw her foot out, kicking Harry hard on the shin.

Harry jumped up in his seat, causing his knees to hit the table before he turned to pin Mia with a glare.

"Play time is over lovebirds, she's gone," Mia pointed out as she nodded over to the now empty seat beside Harry. Harry and Hermione separated straight away while Ron shook his head.

"There are going to be a lot of rumours flying around now. I'm interested to see which one will take it the furthest," Ron told Mia, who started choking on her juice due to her sudden laughter.

Harry and Hermione just blushed and glared at Ron in return.

Later Harry, Hermione, Mia and Ron made their way to their Defence Against the Dark Art class. The boys were talking about something that Harry had learnt in Quidditch practice when Mia turned to Hermione to ask her a question only to find that she wasn't there. Startled, she looked around but still didn't see her.

"Hey," Mia started as she turned around, walking backwards. "Where's Hermione?" Harry and Ron looked over their shoulder only to see that Hermione wasn't there.

"Wasn't she just right behind us?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"Yeah," Ron agreed before he shrugged. "Maybe she forgot something."

"Why wouldn't she let us know?" Mia asked as she turned back around. They entered their DADA classroom and took their seats. Mia was sitting next to Ron and Harry sat alone at the table to right of them.

Everyone finished getting ready for the lesson just before the door opened and slammed dramatically behind a stalking figure. Professor Snape walked past the rows of tables and used his wand to close all the blinds, encasing the classroom in darkness.

"As Professor Lupin has inconveniently fallen ill, I'm taking over your classes until he comes back," Snape informed them all as he made his way over to the desk in front of the projection screen.

"What's wrong with Professor Lupin?" Harry asked as he placed his hand in the air. Snape looked at him over his hooked nose.

"None of your business Mr. Potter," Snape informed him and looked down at the desk at some scattered papers. "My, my, look how far behind you are," Snape told them all in a tone that implied that he was disgusted with it. "Fine, I want you all to turn to page 394." He walked over to the projector and tapped it. He looked over to where Ron was flipping the pages one at a time before he let out a huff of frustration and pointed his wand at Ron's books, causing it to flip right to the proper page.

Ron looked at his book in shock before he leaned over and caught what they were going to be studying.

"Werewolves?" Ron demanded.

"But sir," Hermione's voice startled them all as they turned to see her. "We're not to supposed to start on werewolves until next term."

"Where did she come from?" Ron hissed to Harry. "Did you see her come in?" Harry shook his head, indicating that he was a clueless as Ron on the issue.

"I've been here the whole time," Hermione hissed at Ron.

"Five points from Gryffindor for your outburst Miss Granger," Snape informed her. He tapped his wand on the projector once again and it came to life. "Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a werewolf and a wolf animagus?" Snape asked as he moved over to the projection screen. Hermione placed her hand into the air. "No one?"

"Please sir," Hermione started. "A wolf animagus is a human transformed into a wolf; they still keep their human traits and can choose when to change. But a werewolf is a human with no choice about when to change. Every full moon, he is forced to become a werewolf, a creature with no control. It only answers to the call of its mate."

Pansy let out a howl, causing everyone to look at her and the Slytherins to laugh. Draco just rolled his eyes in annoyance at them. He knew that some of the Slytherins just wanted to learn as much as they could, but there was a bunch of Slytherins that was determined to ruin that.

"That, Miss Granger, is the second time you have spoken out of turn," Snape replied silkily. "Are you so out of control in regards to your tongue, or do you just wish to prove yourself as an insufferable know-it-all?"

Hermione sat back in her chair as she moved her eyes down to the book. Harry could see that her eyes were beginning to well up with tears and felt his anger rising as he glared at Snape. Harry knew that Hermione's natural thirst for knowledge drew resentment from quite a few of their classmates, but he recognized her eagerness in class for what it was. Her instinctual desire to learn and a defense mechanism to keep herself from being hurt by others.

It certainly didn't give Snape a right to try and bring her down.

Harry looked to his left and saw that Ron was furious as well. When he glanced at Mia she seemed cool and collected, but when he looked to his right and saw that Draco's apparent coolness was only on the outside knew better. The whiteness of Draco's knuckles as his fingers curled around the table gave away to Harry just how angry he was.

Harry turned back to Snape and was about to say something when a cold female voice broke through and gained everyone's attention.

"Next time, don't bother asking," Mia announced coldly. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at her in her spot next to Ron.

"Excuse me?" Snape asked and Mia stood up with her blue eyes blazing, reflecting the fire exploding inside of her. Harry had a feeling that if Voldemort were right in front of her at that moment, he would run for a mile.

"You are the most gutless man to ever walk the Earth - after Voldemort that is. You asked if anyone knew the answer and didn't have the guts to ask Hermione when she put her hand up. When asking again she told you the answer then you dared to degrade her by calling her an insufferable know-it-all!" Mia snapped. "None of the other teachers have problems with her. In fact, they actually like it when she gives them answers because she shares her knowledge with everyone. But you, on the other hand, you just can't handle that Hermione is the brightest witch of the age and in return, you belittle her."

"Miss Black," Snape stated but Mia had lost it.

"STOP comparing us to our parents!" Mia snapped and Snape's eyes widened in shock. "Harry is not James! I'm not my dad or my mum! Yeah, I get that Uncle James and dad used to pick on you and that they did something that you hate them for. But you have no right to channel your hate on to us - we haven't done anything wrong! Be a man and face up to your responsibilities and learn that we're not our parents!" Snape's eyes just narrowed.

"Detentions Miss Black, and thirty points off from Gryffindor," Snape snipped out and Mia arched an eyebrow.

"Are you so jealous of Professor Lupin that you would risk everything?" Mia asked and Snape looked at her before she smirked. "Oh yeah, please do remember that my father is Sirius Black." With that, she picked up her bag and left the DADA class, leaving everyone staring after her in shocked silence.

"And we thought Hermione was scary," Ron muttered as he leaned over to Harry, who fought back his snickers. Hermione glared at Ron before she looked at Harry.

"She's in for it now," Hermione told him. Harry sighed as he agreed. "Dumbledore is not going to let this go."

"I know," Harry whispered.

"Thanks to Miss Black and Miss Granger's inability to keep quiet, you all now have homework. I want two rolls of parchment on the difference between werewolves and wolf animagi," Snape informed them all over the student protests. Ignoring everything else, he turned back to the projector and started with the lesson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron found himself in the Gryffindor common room, catching up on homework that needed to be handed in the next day. Harry and Hermione had gone looking for Mia off after their Defence Against the Dark Arts class, but were just finding out that she had been dragged up to Dumbledore's office to get a lecture because Snape had decided to complain about her.

When Mia made her way into the common room, she twisted her black hair up and rubbed the back of her neck. She smiled when she saw Ron and let go of her hair.

"Well, that was eventful," Mia, told them as she flopped down on the seat. Ron looked up from where he was doing his homework on the table.

"Where have you been?" Ron asked. "Harry and Hermione have been making me crazy in their panic over you!"

"Dumbledore's office," Mia told him with a look of distaste. "Apparently Snape went running to Dumbledore, crying that I didn't do what I was told." Ron snickered at the thought of Snape crying.

"What else happened?" Ron asked and Mia let out a small laugh.

"McGonagall got involved and it ended up with a shouting match between him and her. I don't think I've ever been entertained so much," Mia told him and Ron let out a laugh.

"Man, you how long have you got detentions for?" Ron asked; Mia wrinkled her nose.

"Just two weeks. I got off lucky - Snape wanted me to have detention for the rest of the year for disparaging his character in class," Mia explained.

"Whose character?" a female voice spoke up and Mia looked up to see that Harry and Hermione were making their way into the common room. Both of them let out a sigh of relief when they saw her at the table with Ron.

"Where the hell have you been?" Harry demanded. Ron snorted out a laugh and turned back to his homework while Harry and Hermione sat down on the couch. "What's so funny?" Harry looked between Ron and Mia, confused.

"I got hauled into Dumbledore's office - Snape went running to him because of what happened in class," Mia explained.

"Oh my, your dad is just gonna love this when he finds out," Hermione muttered under her breath and Mia giggled, causing them to look at her.

"I think he will," Mia told them. "Snape refuses to host detentions with me so I'm being placed with someone else," she explained.

"This is just getting ridiculous!" Hermione exclaimed. "He issued the detentions so he should take full responsibilities for them."

"Are you sure you're not related to McGonagall?" Mia asked as she peered at Hermione, causing Hermione to eye her warily.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm not related to McGonagall... why?" Hermione asked, her tone cautious.

"Because that's exactly what McGonagall told Snape. You would think someone took away his favourite teddy bear by the way he looked at her," Mia told her.

"What did Dumbledore say?" Harry asked, taking over the questioning since Hermione was just mouthing soundlessly at Mia's response.

" 'Detention for two weeks Miss Black. We will get back to you when we have determined who is going to supervise you on your detentions,' " Mia mocked and Ron sniggered.

"What's the bet everyone will be clamouring to take on Mia for detention? She told off the greasy git!" Ron exclaimed and Mia rolled her eyes while smiling at Ron.

"Oh honestly, this whole thing is ridiculous," Hermione finally got her voice back. "And, why on earth, did you have to take the bait?"

"He insulted you," Harry shot at her. "He's a teacher! He shouldn't be allowed to insult a student and get away with it."

"And add in the fact I have some steam that I need to burn off," Mia added in before shrugging. "Gotta protect you from the idiots; you're too nice for your own good." Hermione shot her an insulted look. "It's true!"

"She's right," Ron spoke up, causing Hermione to look at him. "You tend to let people say what they want about you - you stand up when it's Harry who's being slagged off, but you stand down when it comes to you. So we're taking up the slack when it comes to defending you."

"I'm impressed. I don't think I've ever heard something so insightful come out of Ronald Weasley's mouth before," Harry remarked and got a balled up parchment to the head.

"And that's for the last time too," Ron informed Harry, who just laughed.

"Are you ready for your Quidditch match?" Mia asked, once everyone had settled down. Harry nodded.

"Yeah, Wood has been crazy with the practices. Let's just hope that we catch the snitch as soon as possible," Harry told them as he looked out of the window and saw that the clouds were darkening. "I don't fancy being caught out in the weather."

Hermione shuddered at the thought of Harry being caught out there.

"Do you think they'll postpone it?" Hermione asked almost hopefully. But her hopes were dashed when Harry shook his head.

"No, we're already being pushed because we're playing Hufflepuff - one of the Slytherin players came down ill and they don't have a substitute for them. So Wood is a bit bonkers and he won't allow anyone to change anything," Harry explained.

"Oh that's great," Hermione muttered before she looked at her watch. "You'd better get a move on, otherwise you'll be late." Harry nodded as he ran up the stairs to get changed into his Quidditch outfit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone was sitting in the stands, huddling into each other as the wind raged and the rain poured down. Harry was having a hard time seeing anything as he flew around the Quidditch pitch. He could hear faint cheering over the rain, but it was off in the distance as he continued his vain search for the elusive snitch. Suddenly he felt someone tugging at his arm, pulling him down to the ground.

Once they landed, Harry rubbed his glasses and saw that it was Fred was holding onto his arm as the team surrounded them.

"Okay, I called for a time out - we're up about 50 points but if we don't catch the snitch soon, we'll be playing into the night," Wood told them.

"Harry," a female voice called out and Harry turned to see Mia hurrying her way over to him.

"Mia, can't you do something about this weather?" Harry demanded and Mia shot him a look.

"Oh sure, I'll go and whistle a happy song and hope that the sun will come out," Mia shot back at him. "It doesn't work like that! Mother Nature is pissed and I'm leaving it like that. I don't fancy being zapped because I tried to mess with her!"

"Oh, here!" Hermione exclaimed as she grabbed Harry's glasses, causing him to splutter as he looked around the stadium with blurry eyes. "Impervius!" she slipped the glasses back on Harry's face and everything came back into view for him. "The spell helps to repel water," she explained.

"Brilliant!" Harry exclaimed and Hermione blushed before she hugged Harry and kissed his cheek before hurrying her way back over to the stands.

"Catch the snitch as soon as you can - I'm not standing out here in the rain all night. Besides, the snitch will be even harder to find once it's dark," Mia warned. Harry nodded as he watched Mia hurry over to the stands before climbing on his broom. He shot up into the air and resumed his search for the snitch.

He soon caught sight of it and zoomed after it, urging his broom on. But the snitch took a sharp turn upward, forcing Harry to pull up hard in pursuit as it flew higher into the clouds.

Harry soon felt funny. It felt like he had gone deaf - he couldn't hear anything and a cold dread started to creep over him. He felt his heartbeat faster and finally recognised the feeling - the Dementors were near by.

"Shit!" Harry swore as he lay down on his broom, urging it faster so he could grab the snitch and get back down to the ground as soon as possible. But a black blur started down his way and Harry gulped. He swerved his broom around, trying to avoid the Dementor that was coming after him only to realise how far away he had drifted from the Quidditch pitch and that the Dementors were now surrounding him.

Harry dodged around as fast as he could but one got too close, thrusting him back into the deep recesses of his mind and Harry heard the screaming start up once more.

"Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!"

"Stand aside, you silly girl…stand aside, now…"

"Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead -" Harry felt that he was falling from his broom, hard and fast into the darkness. "Not Harry! Please…have mercy…have mercy…" a man's voice was laughing before a woman's scream took over everything and Harry's eyes finally rolled up into the back of his head.

Everyone below was scanning for Harry and the snitch. Mia was standing near the bottom of the stands as she searched the air for Harry, narrowing her eyes when she couldn't catch sight of him. Finally, she saw a black speck descending rapidly and felt her face go pale.

Hermione's eyes were squinted before she saw a blurred object falling from the air at high speed. Her heart stopped and clenched painfully when she saw that it was Harry.

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed as she watched as Harry fall faster and faster. Mia rushed to the ground and towards the middle of the pitch. As everyone watched as she threw up her hands and a bright white light shot out, slowing Harry before he hit the ground. Then she passed out next to him.

TBC

I know that Dumbledore saved Harry in the book and film, but I wanted Mia to save Harry instead. Remember, Mia has control over the air element - it was the most logical way for her to save Harry.

I know Mia seems a little…bitchy in this chapter but take into account that Mia is a human being and she does have her limits - it just happened to be in this chapter. But hey! She got to tell off Snape!

-->