Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Next Door by Penelope
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Next Door

Penelope

THE NEXT DOOR

H. J. Granger; Quidditch Star

Chapter Five

Hermione collapsed into the wall. She whipped out her arms in an attempt to catch herself, and she found the walls were close. She was in a confined space. Her heart raced, and she felt on the verge of a panic attack until she opened her eyes. She stood, leaned half against the wooden wall of a bathroom stall.

"Harry?" she called.

Someone knocked on the door to her stall, and Hermione yelped.

"Merlin, Hermione," a female voice said. "Are you finished? The game starts in two minutes!"

Hermione inhaled deeply and pulled open the stall door. Ginny stood on the other side, hands on her hips and toe tapping.

"Well?" Ginny asked.

Hermione glanced around the bathroom, and didn't recognize their surroundings. "Where are we?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "Did you take something?" she asked. "You know athletic drugs and potions are illegal. If Madame Hooch finds-"

"-I'm not on drugs," Hermione said indignantly.

"Come on, then," Ginny demanded.

Hermione noticed Ginny wore Gryffindor Quidditch robes. "I must be in fifth year," Hermione said. "You've made the team."

Ginny frowned at Hermione. "Be honest," she whispered, "did you take something?"

"No!" Hermione said. "I was merely commenting on the fact that you didn't try out for Quidditch until your fourth year."

Ginny shook her head. "Here's the new plan. I do all the talking," she said. "If you open your mouth and continue to babble like you are now, no one is going to believe you aren't doing illegal potions."

"Ginny," Hermione said in exasperation, "why would I ever need the aid of drugs?" When she lifted her arms in question, Hermione noticed the scarlet and gold robes of the Quidditch team. "Why on earth am I wearing Quidditch robes?"

Ginny burst out laughing. "Okay, I get it," she said, grinning, "did Ron put you up to this? Did he tell you to act brain dead just to freak me out?" Ginny grabbed her stomach and laughed loudly. "He knew how worried I was about our match against Slytherin, didn't he?"

Hermione's face paled. "I'm on the Quidditch team," she said dully.

Ginny stopped laughing. "This is a joke, right?"

Hermione forced a smile. "Yeah," she said unenthusiastically, "funny, huh?"

Ginny pulled Hermione out of the stall and walked her through what appeared to be the women's Quidditch changing rooms. She grabbed two brooms that were resting near the doorway and handed one to Hermione.

"A Firebolt?" Hermione muttered. "I fly on a Firebolt?!"

"Thanks to your Mum and Dad," Ginny said. "I still can't believe you talked them into giving the whole team Firebolts. Ron has yet to have anything top that gift. I bet you anything he sleeps with his in the bed. Does that make you jealous?" she asked with a wink.

"W-what?"

Ginny opened the changing room doors and sunlight burst in and momentarily blinded Hermione. She could hear the extraneous noise of hundreds of students gathered in the stadium. Hermione's stomach gave a horrible jolt. She was terrified of flying and had been ever since being introduced to it in first year. When her eyes adjusted, she saw Harry. Without thinking, she rushed over to him and latched onto his arm.

"Harry," she breathed in panic, "I'm a Quidditch player."

Harry grinned at her. It was lopsided and looked as though he was trying not to laugh. "I know," he whispered, "Ron mentioned you were the best Chaser to grace Hogwarts in 200 years."

"But that's impossible," Hermione answered. "I hate to fly."

Harry winked at her. "Not this Hermione," Harry said. "Obviously you decided you weren't going to be lousy at anything and you secretly trained at night and surprised everyone by trying out for the team."

Hermione shook her head and bit down on her bottom lip. "No, Harry," she said, "you aren't hearing me. I hate to fly. I really don't know how. I'm no good. I'll fall off-"

Harry shook his head and cut Hermione off abruptly. Ron approached them, and Harry said, "I'll catch you. Don't worry, okay?"

Ron slipped his arm around Hermione's shoulders, and she felt her shoulders tense. "How's my best player feeling?" he asked. "Ginny said you were acting nutters in the loo."

Hermione laughed, but it was more nerves than humor. "I was pulling a prank."

"Time to march the field," Ron said. "And whatever you do, don't let Malfoy's remarks get to you."

Hermione tugged Harry's sleeve as the Gryffindor team marched onto the field. "What position am I?"

Harry chuckled. "Chaser. I think Ginny is a Chaser, too," he added. "Evidently in this reality, Umbridge hasn't banned me from the game. I'm still the Seeker."

"What am I supposed to do?" she asked. "Other than not plummet to my death?"

Harry patted Hermione's hand to reassure her. "You try to get the Quaffle through the hoops. That's all."

"That's all," she muttered sarcastically. "A real piece of cake that one. Toss the ball through the hoops and don't die."

Harry laughed, and Hermione felt like her heart was going to burst right out through her Quidditch robes and flop about on the pitch like a fish out of water. Madame Hooch waved the Gryffindors over to stand near the Slytherin team, and Hermione's ears pounded with the stadium noises.

* * * *

Hermione watched Harry mount his broom, and she copied his movements. Her knees were quaking, and the ground vibrated beneath her feet. The Firebolt felt light and controlled between her knees. She almost laughed madly when she thought of what everyone would say when they saw how poorly she was bound to fly today. Wouldn't they be surprised?

Madame Hooch blew her whistle, and somehow Hermione was able to hear Harry yell, "Kick off the ground."

And she kicked. The Firebolt lifted into the air with ease. Hermione wobbled for one second, and then a strange sensation rippled through her body. Her muscles reacted, and somehow she knew how to fly. It was as though a part of `Quidditch Hermione' now resided in her body. She leaned to the left, and the broom zoomed that way. Then, she tilted ever so slightly to the right, and the Firebolt zipped with skilled control. She couldn't stop the smile that stretched across her face.

The rush of wind was exhilarating. The feeling of rising above everyone momentarily pushed her worries aside. She felt in the air, flying on her Firebolt, anything was possible.

"Hermione!" Ginny shouted beside her. "Are you going to sightsee or play?" She watched Ginny take off in pursuit of the Quaffle. A Slytherin Beater pounded a Bludger in Hermione's direction. Without thinking, she dipped the Firebolt down and rocketed away. The broom's acceleration was amazing. She laughed into the wind.

Hermione made eye contact with Harry, and he was balanced on his broom, staring at her with wide-eyed amazement. She bent low over her Firebolt and flew toward him. At the last second, she tilted to the left and circled his body before hovering beside him.

"I'm not so bad," Hermione said to him. Her cheeks were flushed, and her brown eyes were alive with excitement.

"Bad?" Harry muttered. "You're bloody amazing!" A flash of gold caught Harry's eye. Hermione saw it, too.

"Go get it, Harry," she said in a competitive voice she had only reserved for test-taking before now. "We can't lose to these Slytherin gits."

Once more, Harry's mouth dropped open, and he rushed off in pursuit of the Snitch. Hermione turned her eyes to the Slytherin Chaser who cradled the Quaffle, and she flew directly at him. The Slytherin Chaser was so startled at her approach, he dropped the Quaffle, and Hermione caught it easily. She soared around the pitch, dodged Bludgers and Slytherin players, and tossed the Quaffle through Slytherin's hoops. She scored the first point for Gryffindor, and the stands erupted in wild applause.

Hermione went on to score five more goals to Slytherin's one. Then, half an hour into the game, Harry caught the Snitch. The Gryffindors stormed the field before Hermione could land her broom. They encircled her and chanted her name. She was so surprised with their behavior she could do nothing but laugh and smile. Finally, Harry tugged her aside. He was winded, and his green eyes reflected her own excitement.

"You were excellent," he said. "I never thought I'd see the day when you could outplay me in Quidditch. But I think today's that day!"

Hermione laughed and threw her arms around his neck. Harry's stomach filled with a fluttery sensation he couldn't quite get a grasp on, but he encircled her in his arms and lifted her from the ground. She laughed harder.

"Hey, now," Ron said as he slapped Harry on the back. Harry placed Hermione back on her feet, and Ron reached for her hand. "Excellent game, Harry. Wish you would have prolonged catching the Snitch. The way Hermione was scoring, we could have beat an all-time scoring record."

"You were excellent guarding the posts as well," Harry complimented. "I see the nerves aren't an issue anymore."

"Nerves?" Ron laughed. "You must be confusing me with Ginny. Now, how about my girl? Hermione, you should have seen Draco's face when you dodged that Bludger and it smacked him dead in the nose."

"I'm sorry I missed that," Harry laughed. "It's hard to believe Hermione enjoys Quidditch this much." When he caught Hermione's eye, she giggled.

"I know," Ron said. "Couldn't have asked for a better girl. But that's my Hermione, the Quidditch Star." His ears turned the color of raspberries, but his obvious embarrassment didn't stop him from planting a kiss right on Hermione's lips.

She froze in absolute shock. Harry made a strange squeaking noise in his throat, and the fluttery feeling in his stomach turned dark and uncomfortable. Hermione's eyes were wide and stared past Ron's face where she and Harry stared at each other, dumbstruck. Harry turned away, unable to watch them together. He didn't know if his feeling of unease was do to seeing his best mate kiss his other best mate or if it was because there was something horribly wrong with the idea of Hermione kissing anyone.

"Come on, you three," Ginny shouted over the excited fans. "Party in the common room!"

Ron pulled away from Hermione and smiled at her in a way Harry had never before witnessed. It made his cheeks burn. Hermione stared at the ground. Ron cleared his throat.

"You don't mind if we come up a bit later, do you," Ron asked, clearly looking at Harry.

"Er…"

"Whatever for?" Hermione laughed nervously. "Don't you want to join in the festivities? I know I do," she said, but Harry could hear the panic in her voice.

Ron passed a glance at Hermione. "We'll go up later," he said in a quiet voice.

Hermione looked at Harry, begging him for help with her eyes. He shrugged.

"Sure, okay," he said, and Hermione narrowed her eyes, but Harry shrugged again.

He rubbed his stomach as he strode away, wondering why he felt so knotted inside. He glanced over his shoulder to see Ron pull Hermione into a close hug. He quickened his pace and his mind was so overwhelmed with conflicting emotions, he was upon the portrait of the Fat Lady before he realized he'd even entered the castle.

-->