Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Tale of Dead People by Ancient Werewolf
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Tale of Dead People

Ancient Werewolf

Chapter 2: Death and Revenge

Hermione watched as her husband and her son flew around the house, shouting at her happily. She tried looking angry and disappointed, but her smile gave her away. Ronald Potter was a lot like his uncle when it came to Quidditch. He had the potential to become a great Beater, even in his young age of five and with a slow broom and a safe Bludger, he managed to hit with great ferocity.

Harry and Ronald landed next to her, both grinning madly. The safe Bludger hovered next to Harry, and he caught it. It had been one of the many inventions from the Weasley twins. Quidditch balls for beginners and small children, sponsored by the Potters mostly. But it was a great business, and they constantly had to charm new items.

The family entered the house and a small battle ensued, where Ronald ran around naked, trying to avoid the inevitable bath. Finally, Harry caught him and dragged him to the bathroom, where Hermione proceeded to wash him and his father stood keeping watch. Ronald had the habit of running off in the middle of the ordeal.

-

Ron and Luna walked through the halls leading to the exit of the institution where she had been living. Every time a nurse would see them, Ron would wave his hand in front of his or her face and the person would look confused for a few minutes, until they were out of sight. "How do you do that?" Luna asked curiously.

"It's a trick dead people know," he grinned at her. "Even as mortals we can still do it."

The young woman raised an eyebrow in amusement. "What else can you do, Ronald?"

Ron chuckled. "Not very nice things, I'm afraid. But I can use magic again, so I won't need those 'tricks', for now."

They exited the building and he Apparated them to the Leaky Cauldron. The place was unusually crowded so they didn't need to worry about being seen by anyone. From there, Ron led them straight to the robes shop, where he got her new robes and a pair of shoes, since she had been wearing a nightgown (concealed a little by Ron's jacket). Once she was dressed, they exited.

Luna frowned at him. "Where did you get the money, Ronald?"

He grinned sheepishly at her. "I didn't have any, so I had to take it from some of the people at the Leaky Cauldron," he avoided her gaze, knowing she wouldn't like his answer.

"Ronald!" she hissed, though the only sign of her anger was the slight frown. "Didn't your mother teach you it's not good to steal things?"

Ron kissed her forehead, grabbed her hand and dragged her along, heading back to the Leaky Cauldron. "Yes, she did. But this was necessary, Luna. You can't go around wearing a nightgown and socks. I won't do it again, I promise."

With a soft sigh Luna relented. "All right. I believe you."

-

It was a new day for the Potters. But it was plagued with confusion as Minerva McGonagall knocked at their door, clearly stressed. "I have terrible news." Instantly they thought someone had died. But her next words hit them like a bucket of iced water. "They're all back, and they need your help." She moved aside and surely they saw five people who were supposed to be dead. With the exception of Dumbledore, the other four looked in their twenties, even if they had died when they were older.

Two hours later, they were sitting in the living room of the Potter house. Albus had taken over the conversation and had explained the situation to the young couple. "Merlin truly doesn't know how he managed to escape, but this fugitive is now out there, and I'm sure he won't stop to finish what he started."

Harry was furious, confused and sad. It was a strange mix of emotions, as he looked at his parents, his godfather, his mentor and the man who betrayed his family. "What is he doing here?" he glared at Peter.

The chubby man squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. Sirius frowned at him but not in anger. "He was killed by Voldemort for not fulfilling an order that could have gotten you killed," he told his godson. "Anyone who sacrifices their lives for another person, in a selfless act, is allowed to roam free in the Otherworld."

"We eventually forgave him," Lily Potter said quietly. "We'll be seeing each other for all eternity, it's not good to hold grudges." She looked at her son sadly. "It is very difficult to accept, but I know in time you'll understand."

James Potter nodded. "What she said." He couldn't look at his son without feeling uneasy. He felt guilty for not being there when he grew up, to help him with the horrible task he was destined to fulfill. Which is why I'm here now... he mused.

"What do we do now?" Hermione asked, holding her husband's hand. "How do we know where to find him?"

Albus smiled sadly. "I'm afraid he'll come here. That is why we wanted to be with you, so that you've got a better chance to fight him."

-

"Where are we going?" Luna asked, yawning. Her arm was around Ron's left arm and they were walking away from the Burrow. The sky was clear and the sun shone brightly over their heads. However, the air was cool. "I thought you wanted to see your family."

The redhead smiled down at her. "Yeah, but I've got something else to do before. Harry lives around here, or so I've heard."

They kept walking for a few more minutes, before she talked again. "I have a bad feeling about this, Ronald," the blonde said quietly. "Something bad will happen, I know it."

Ron sighed, his smile fading. Instead, he looked somber. "It'll all be ok. I promise."

-

The was a loud explosion on the side of the house, and the four adult Potters quickly shielded their descendant. Dumbledore, McGonagall, Sirius and Peter quickly went to investigate the area. The dead people didn't need wands for the enemy they expected, but Minerva held her wand out tightly. "Who's there?"

There was a green flash of light and the Headmistress of Hogwarts fell on the floor, lifeless. A shrill voice laughed cruelly from the remains of the blasted wall. "So we meet again, Dumbledore."

Sirius and Peter glared in the enemy's direction. Dumbledore, for the first time in his existence, was angry. One of his best pupils, a great woman, who had finally taken his place at Hogwarts, was dead. Even if he'd see her again, he had expected her to live at least fifty years more.

He was going to pay. For killing Minerva and for daring to escape the Otherworld. For coming back and trying to end Harry's life, after all the work he must've undergone to pick himself up after Voldemort's defeat. Dumbledore swore on his soul, that he'd fight with all he'd got. He knew Sirius and Peter would do the same.

"Ronald! Stop!" The three of them turned to see a blonde young woman looking shocked and fearful in their direction...