Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Enigmatic War by Noelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Enigmatic War

Noelle

Chapter 6 --

Harry sits in the throne room with Ron across from him and Frock at the head of the table to his left. Harry admires the immense room, since he did not the night before. His eyes scale the tall, scupltured walls that are a light shade of beige. The floor is raised at the north end of the room, and the walls are entirely made of glass in this area only. Two tapestries with a silhouette of a bird sewn into them hang from the ceiling, and a chair rests between them. The chair itself looks as if it should never be sat in, for it is not made of wood, but gold. Rubies and emeralds are embedded in the contour, and on the seat is a blanket of yellow velvet.

Harry marvels at the intense beauty, and turns his eyes away, trailing across the floor to the east wall which he faces. Ron's head blocks part of his view, but he notices pillars rising to the ceiling, starting from the north wall and ending at the south, all of them about seven feet apart. Gold rimmed windows can be seen between the pillars. Torches stand infront of the windows, but are unlit, for sunlight pours into the room from above him. Harry turns his head upward, and sees the the sky instead of the beige ceiling.

"Men, we have gathered to finish our discussion on the missing magical creatures and the Juxert empire." Frock begins, and Harry stops gawking at the ceiling. Frock stands at the head of his table, and he shifts his gaze from counselor to counselor, eventually meeting Harry's and Ron's eyes.

"Sire," A voice speaks up, and Frock motions to the man. The older man stands, and asks his question, "How is it that the waterfall can stop flowing? What causes such a phenomenon?"

Frock shakes his head, "I do not know," The man sits, and Ron stands to speak before Frock can continue.

"The waterfall is nothing but a symbol. It has no significant meaning for the magic in the world." Ron speaks to the counselors, and they slowly begin to nod their heads in agreement, "It is a symbol of magic, but not magic itself. The ceasing of its flow means that the magical creatures are unable to use their magic, or that they have been completely destroyed-"

"No, they have not been destroyed." Frock cuts him off, and Ron sits, staring hard at the elderly king, "If that has happened, then Harry's mind is returned."

Harry looks up, and tries to remember anything that he may have forgotten. He concentrates hard, and eyes from around the table pierce him. He shakes his head, unable to bring back any memories.

"The creatures are not destroyed. What other conclusions can we draw from this counselors?" Frock asks the opinions of the men.

They sit in silence.

"Has no one any ideas?" Frock sits in his chair, sighing to himself. Harry leans back, as does Ron, and the throne room remains silent.

"Father?" A feminine voice echoes throughout the room. Chairs shift and heads turn to find the person who spoke. The throne room doors are open, and a woman walks towards the head of the table.

"What is it, daugther?" Frock closes his eyes, pressing his face deeply into the palm of his hand.

"I have an idea, my lord." She stands at Frock's side.

"Sara, please," Frock begins, but she places a hand on his shoulder to silence him.

"Men, I know this is not my place, but I have been reading and studying the magical creatures for the greater part of my life." She pauses, waiting for any objections, and when she hears none, she continues, "The magical creatures are horrified of their magic being used as destruction. They are calm and happy creatures, living only to bring serenity to the humans of the world. When that balance is disrupted, they go into hiding, and then the waterfall ceases its flow."

"Why is it stopping now, Princess? Why did it not stop years ago when the war started?" Ron speaks up. Sara meet's Ron's eyes, and Harry sees a glimpse of something within her grey orbs.

"James was the only man with enough power to keep the Juxert from using the magic for destruction. With James gone," she trails off, and her voice suddenly fails her. Ron's eyes soften, and Harry frowns.

"My father could control magic to that extent? His death marked a beginning for fear?" Harry shakes his head in disbelief, "I forgot this too?"

"James was indeed a very powerful man. Without James this war would have been over long ago, and we would not be victorious." Ron looks at Harry, "He knew how horrible the people in this world can be, Harry, he was worried sick that something would happen to you. Keeping your memories from you until you were old enough to comprehend and make good judgement-"

"He had no right!" Harry stands from his seat, roughly pushing the plush chair back until he hears it hit the floor. He slams his fists on the table repeatedly, "He had no right to take my mind. How am I supposed to help fight and win this war since he is dead? I know nothing!" Harry's eyes are blazing as the entire hall is in a quiet murmur.

"He knew what he was doing," Ron begins, but Harry angrily leans across the table and shoves him. Ron's mouth falls open in shock, and his arms fly into the air as an act of surrender.

"He knew nothing, and now I know nothing." Harry's voice is loud, and he presses his palms to his temples and compreses his head. Anxiety pools in his abdomen, and he sucks in a breath.

"Harry," Sara places her hands on his shoulders to calm him, but he roughly jerks away from her.

"Because of him the magical creatures are leaving. They're going into hiding because he can no longer protect them. He cursed me as well, and now I cannot protect my kingdom--my friends! He took my knowledge from me. You tell me what I'm supposed to do. You tell me how to make it right." Harry stares into Sara's eyes, moving to Frock's, Ron's, then down the table of counselors. Some shy away from him, and others simply shrug. No one gives him an answer.

"Obviously I am no help to this meeting." Harry storms from the throne room, "Assemble my paladins and two counselors, we are leaving." He commands Frock's guards that stand outside of the throne room doors, and they shuffle down the hall. Ron and Frock run to catch up with Harry, who is rushing to the entry hall and outside the palace doors.

"Stop! Harry, come to your senses." Frock grabs his shoulder, and Harry shrugs him off.

"Back off. I'm going back to Lorbia." Harry turns and faces Ron and Frock, "Look, you two both know a great deal more than I do. Even Sara knows more than me, so you three discuss and determine our plan. When you decide, send me a letter and I'll do whatever you want. Right now I can't be here." Harry can feel the anxiety start to dissolve in his stomach, and the anger slowly ebbs away.

"Harry," Ron starts, but shuts his mouth before he says anything more. Harry's eyes turn away from him. He walks down the palace steps to be greeted with Ole, which he mounts.

"Farewell." Harry calls over his shoulder. Paladins come from the palace and begin mounting their horses that are brought to them by the stable boys. The saddles are slightly crooked from the stable boys putting them on in such a hurry, but the paladin's shift them into place. Luke and Brenen ride beside Harry, and Harry nudges Ole with the heels of his feet.

"Be safe." Frock yells over the noise of whinning horses. Harry races down the streets of Norlan, and his paladins and two counselors follow behind him. Commoners move out of the streets and the gate falls open. They rush from the city and onto the country road north to Lorbia.

Harry presses the heels of his boots into Ole's sides to slow him to a steady gait. The paladin's assemble around Harry and his two counselors come beside him. The ride is quiet, and Harry hopes that no trouble will come along the way. Harry strokes Ole's mane as they ride, murmuring softly to his horse. They stop at the same small lake to water and let the horses rest.

No words are exchanged between Harry and the paladins or counselors. They mount their horses and continue. They reach Lorbia in the late afternoon, and the chill of late summer air weaves through Harry's dark hair and causes a shiver to sneak down his back, reguardless of the plate armor he wears, though he only wears a long-sleeved, linen shirt beneath.

They ride through the uncrowded streets of Lorbia to the palace gates. The gates open, and Harry rides ahead of the paladins to the stables beside the palace. He unmounts his horse, and Ames come from within the stables, standing stupidly as Harry approaches him.

"Sire?" his voice is questioning. Harry can see that the young boy did not realize they would be arriving so soon back to Lorbia.

Harry does not answer the boy's eyes. He hands Ole's reins to Ames, and leaves the stables, keeping close to the wall to avoid the rush of horses entering. He walks up the palace steps and the doors open for him. He nods to the guards, and they bow in return.

He makes his way to his study, but a formally dressed guard steps infront of him.

"Sire, the woman-" he is stopped short.

"She has awoken?" Harry finishes anxiously.

"Yes."

"Thank you." Harry turns sharply on his heel and walks the opposite direction toward the infirmary. He enters, and same nurse stands from behind the counter.

"Sire, you are back from Lorbia?" She has a question in her eyes.

"The woman, she has awoken?" Harry begins walking down the hall. The nurse follows close behind him.

"Yes, sire. We sent word to Norlan, did you receive it?"

"No." Harry stops outside of the door where the nurse had lead him to the day before, "Leave me." Harry places his hand on the door knob, and slowly opens it. The nurse quickly walks back to the counter at the front of the infirmary. Harry steps inside of the room, and hears a soft gasp.

"Who are-" The voice begins, and stops when Harry turns and meets the woman's eyes.

"I am King Harry of Lorbia." Harry responds to her unfinished question. He stands at the door, and does not advance on the woman, for she has fear and questions in her eyes. He stares into them, her dark and mysterious pools of hazel.

"May I ask your name?" Harry asks in a soft voice. The woman does not answer; she simply watches him. Harry continues, "What were you doing outside of the faeries' dwelling?" Still he receives no answer.

He takes a step toward the woman, but stops when she flinches. He studies her, tilting his head to the side. The sheet that had covered her when she was unconscious is now folded and placed upon a chair beside the bed. She wears a sleeveless, bronze tunic, something that mainly archers wear, and light brown trousers. A belt lays across the back of the chair. Harry notices a long-bow and a quiver of arrows resting beside her bed.

"I won't hurt you." He says, and tentatively takes another step to her. She sucks in a deep breath and closes her dark eyes for only a moment. They reopen, and she looks at him from under dark lashes. He slowly makes his way to the side of her bed, keeping his eyes on hers the entire time.

"I won't hurt you," he repeats, "you can trust me. Please, tell me your name." Harry asks, hoping she will answer him this time.

"How did I get here?" She completely dismisses him. She doesn't look around the room. She focuses on his emerald orbs, and he feels enchanted. A feeling circles, starting in his belly and flaring throughout the rest of the body, and it makes him feel light headed. He doesn't break away from her, for something in his being won't allow him to.

"You were found outside of the faeries' dwelling, and fell unconscious when my men approached you. You were brought here to Lorbia. You have been here for two days now." Harry answers, trying to read her emotions, but she is well guarded.

"My kingdom has fallen under the Juxert." She says, and Harry's ears perk, "I fled from the destruction. I must have fell unconscious from the trauma and distress. I do not remember taking any serious wounds."

"Why did the Juxert attack your kingdom?" Harry asks, squatting down beside the bed to become more level with the woman. She turns her head and stares at her hands, bringing them to her lap.

"I refused to aid them in their conquest. They asked if I would ally with them, and help find the source of all power, and I refused. They attacked in the middle of the night, and my knights were not prepared. We fought hard and lost. The result is my fallen kingdom." She sighs, and her eyes flicker with pain and sorrow.

"I want to search for survivors. Take me to my kingdom." Her beautiful face is full of sadness, and she reaches for him then. She leans over the bed to places her hands on his cheeks. Shock overcomes him, and he cannot answer her straight away. The warmth she generates throughout his body with a simple touch frightens him, but he cannot withdraw himself from her touch. The feeling that is circulating throughout his being is more intensified, and his heart pulses rapidly.

"We will leave at dawn." Harry breathes when his throat relaxes. She silently thanks him with a nod, and she removes her hands from him. The feeling fleets his body, and he has a sudden longing to have her touching him once more.

"I will tell the nurse to prepare a more suiting room for you. You will be fetched in the morning and we will ride to your kingdom." Harry tells her when he regains his composure, "Where is the location so I have the information for my paladins and knights."

"It is a kingdom in the north, not far from here. I wish not to give the name." She pauses, "I will lead the party."

Harry nods, "Alright. In the morning then." Harry walks to the door, and before leaving, he turns and bows to the woman. She tilts her head towards him. He leaves the door to her room open, and walks down the clean halls of the infirmary, unconsciously holding his breath to avoid the strong smell of bleach.

"Have her taken to a better room, one in the guest quarters. Assign her a servant-maid, and make sure everything she needs is taken care of. Inform a guard to stay stationed outside her door, and to make sure she is wakened before dawn." Harry instructs, and the nurse nods her understanding.

"Yes, my lord, it will be done."

Harry leaves the infirmary, and his mind swims with this new information the mystery woman presents to him. He turns to the common room, seeing Brenan and Luke discussing the events at Norlan with a stable of counselors. Two paladins stand at the door, and Harry stops between them.

"Men, we will assemble a party of one-hundred paladins. We ride north at dawn." Harry tells the paladin's, and then walks to the front of the long table. Conversation stops, and counselors look to him, "Counselors, I will take a party of paladin's at dawn to a kingdom in the north. What known kingdoms lie in that direction?"

The counselors ponder the question, and some give him names of kingdom's that are well known, but Harry does not believe her kingdom to be any of them.

"The woman has awakened, and her kingdom was taken by the Juxert. She wants to find survivors, but I know nothing of her fallen kingdom or of her. Find out anything you can." Harry watches the counselors nod their heads and begin talking amonst eachother. Harry turns to his paladin's, and they leave. He exits the common hall, and makes his way to his study.

He opens the heavy door, and immediately is greeted with a desk full of letters. He strides to the front of his desk, and looks down at the pile. He sees on the top of the pile a letter from Norlan.

"Not tonight." He murmers, and waves his hand. They disappear, and he walks into his bed chamber.

-------

Author's note:

Sorry this took me so long to upload. I've been super busy since the end of my senior year is approaching. My brother has also been hogging my computer. Ah! =) Tell me what you think of the chapter. Thanks so much for your support. I love all the fantastic reviews I get.