Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Important Than Any Broomstick by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Important Than Any Broomstick

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

More Important Than Any Broomstick - Chapter 13 - Decisions

"Slytherin?!" exclaimed Harry. "What's he playing at? You're a Gryffindor!"

"I know," said Sirius. "The rest of my family was in Slytherin, and I was proud to not be like them! Maybe I'll teach, but I don't want anything to do with Slytherin!"

"You're good at potions?" asked Hermione, clearly curious.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah. Professor Slughorn, he was the teacher at the time, always said I had a gift for it. I got an `O' in both my O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. in the subject. Before I was arrested, I used to make Moony's potion for him."

"Wolfsbane?" asked Hermione.

"Yeah." He sighed. "I guess I might as well accept the teaching job. I don't have anything else lined up, and it'll give me a chance to put the two of you in detention. But I won't take that Head of Slytherin position!"

"Maybe you should," said Hermione, causing both Harry and Padfoot to stare at her. She looked determinately at them and said, "Think about it. A child would display ambition and possibly evil potential to the sorting hat, so it puts them into Slytherin. Then, under Snape's guidance, they learn to achieve their goals through cheating, lying, and favoritism. Their head of house always looked the other way when they did wrong. Harry you remember what happened when you got in that fight with Malfoy last January. Snape took points from me for telling him that Malfoy called me a mudblood! Maybe with a head of house who won't let them get away with that sort of thing, those kids may turn out better. Sirius, you can even tell them about Azkaban, the place many of them seem to be headed. I think Snape was teaching every one of them to be Death Eaters!"

Harry was agreeing with her logic, but then was confused by a term she'd used. "What's a Death Eater? I know you called Malfoy the son of one, but I don't know what it means."

Sirius answered the question. "Voldemort's supporters. And she's right to call Lucius Malfoy one. He was part of Voldemort's inner circle. He was arrested, his family donated a large amount of gold to the ministry, and he was released, claiming he was being controlled. All those idiots had to do was roll up his sleeve to see his Dark Mark, but those imbeciles that took his bribe wouldn't allow it!"

Harry smiled, "It would be worth it just to see the look on Draco Malfoy's face when he finds out my guardian is his head of house."

Sirius took a deep breath. "Harry, do you really want me to take that position?"

"Yes. I think so."

"Alright!" Sirius said. "Now let's go to that muggle electronics store I've heard so much about."

-

Sirius apparated Harry near the store, and then came back to apparate Hermione. When they arrived, the salesperson they'd previously had recognized Harry and Hermione immediately from their previous purchase of about half the store. "Hello again. May I help you?"

"Yes," said Hermione. "Would you mind showing us your laptop computers?"

After spending a few minutes looking, Harry picked out the best one they had. It had a twenty inch screen with the latest graphics card, etc. Sirius decided that since he was teaching, he'd get one of his own, provided the two kids would show him how to use it. The one Harry had picked out cost a few hundred pounds more than Hermione's parents had specified she could spend, so she was going to settle for a lesser one until Harry insisted that he make up the difference and had the salesperson split the cost into two receipts - one that was how much her parents wanted to spend, and the other was the rest of the cost, which was to be added to Harry's bill. When he went to pay for it, Sirius said, "I'm paying for that, along with my computer," and proceeded to pull muggle money out of his wallet.

-

Please review.

-->