Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fortune's Fool by memoryspell48
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fortune's Fool

memoryspell48

Disclaimer: I'm not JK Rowling, so Harry Potter's is not mine.

A/N: Hope you like it! Don't worry Ron and Hermione won't be together for long, so don't let that turn you off!

Chapter 1 - A Startling Reappearance

Hermione and Ron sat in her kitchen having some tea. Hermione had invited him over, as both of their jobs had been keeping them so busy that it had been weeks since they'd seen each other. Hermione worked for a newspaper that she and Luna had started that pushed for the rights of magical creatures, including house elves. Ron had gotten a management job with the Chudley Canons, which to him was the next best thing to being on the team. However, it also meant he traveled a lot. Hermione, as with everything she did, threw herself completely into her work, and sometimes neglected to take a break from things.

Harry Potter, their best friend, they hadn't seen in almost two years. He'd left without a word to go off and hunt down Voldemort and his followers.

After Harry had left, Hermione had worked non-stop for weeks, as though trying to keep herself to busy to think about it. Ron's friendship had been all that had kept her sane.

Hermione got up to get more tea, then sat down at the table and opened one of the several papers she read during the day, but hadn't gotten to in the morning when the owl delivered it.

Upon reading the headline of the first paper Hermione choked and sent her mouthful of tea flying across the table and all over Ron. He stood up and brushed the liquid off his shirt the best he could and began to complain about being covered in spit up tea, when he looked up her. Hermione's hands were trembling violently and her brown eyes were filled with tears. There were few times when he'd seen her look so shaken by anything.

"Hermione are you okay? What's happened" he asked in concern, putting a steadying hand on her shoulder.

Hermione didn't answer him, momentarily focused completely on the newspaper. Her mouth was slightly open, but she seemed beyond words. She read quickly, her eyes darting back and forth as she read the article. When she finished, without speaking she slid the paper across the table to Ron. He took a deep breath and looked down at the newspaper.

The huge headline on the front page read The Boy-Who-Lived Victorious! The Wizarding World Free of the Dark Lord!. Ron looked at the other papers scattered across the table and most of them had similar headlines. He made a noise of surprise and disbelief.

"Well, that's good news Hermione. I can't believe he's finally gone," Ron commented, looking down at the page again as if he couldn't quite grasp what he had just read. Voldemort, who had threatened the entire existence of the wizarding world, was finally dead.

"No, he'll be back," Hermione said quietly. Tears were rolling down her cheeks, but now her expression was otherwise glazed over.

"He's really dead this time Hermione. Really, he won't come back by drinking unicorn's blood or anything this time. You read the article, it's true. Calm down, it's over," Ron assured, gently patting her on the back.

"No, Harry. Harry will be back," she whispered, her mouth trembling as she spoke. Ron frowned, his features darkening.

It seemed like so long ago now that Harry had left. They both presumed that he went to go fight Voldemort on his own. Hermione had felt it was to protect them, but Ron wasn't sure. Whatever the reasoning behind Harry's sudden departure, both of them had been hurt and angry, as either of them would have been glad to give their lives to help Harry and defeat Voldemort.

"Don't worry about Hermione. I doubt he'll come back to see us any time soon. He'll be too busy basking in the glory of being the Boy-Who-Lived…twice," Ron told her bitterly, in a tone laced with spite.

Hermione looked up him and frowned sadly. "Ron, you really don't believe that do you? I know he didn't go about leaving the right way, and I am still very hurt too, but you know Harry better than that. He's hardly hungry for fame," she said softly, her eyes sad and vacant.

Ron felt guilty for upsetting her further. "Sorry Hermione. We'll just wait and see how things go."

He sat down again. They both sat and picked at their food in silence for a few moments, caught in between happiness over Voldemort's demise and sadness over the state of their friendship with Harry. Suddenly someone began knocking loudly on the door. Hermione yelped in surprise and Ron nearly fell from his chair.

"I'll get," he said quickly. "I expect that will be someone from the press wanting to talk to the savior of the Wizarding world's best friends," he added sourly.

Ron opened the door to find not someone from the press but Harry standing outside the door. If he hadn't been so surprised Ron would have slammed it shut again. Harry's expression was worn and sad, at least he wasn't smiling that would have been unbearable. Harry came hesitantly inside, evidently guessing that Ron might be tempted to slam the door in his face. Harry gave Ron a sad glance, at a loss for what to say to his best friend.

"Ron, who is it?" Hermione asked, walking over to see for herself, wondering why Ron hadn't said a word and neither had whoever was at the door.

She came around the corner and gasped. A strangled cry escaped her lips and her had flew to her heart. Harry was back, standing in front of her in her living room. And he was alive, she had never told Ron, but she had always personally felt that they would never see their best friend alive again. There was so much she would have wanted to say to him, if he had come and told her that he was going, but that was the past. Here he was alive, real…Harry. The anger and pain of the past two years evaporated for the moment. She flung herself into Harry's arms, hugging him fiercely, nearly making him fall backward. He had gotten taller in the past few years, although he was still not Ron's height. Harry didn't seem to mind her rough hug, returning it warmly. Hot tears began to slide down her cheeks, soaking Harry's shirt. His embrace, still gave her that familiar sense of comfort and safety.

"I missed you so much," she whispered so softly that she wasn't even sure if Harry heard.

She was glad her face was hidden, as she was suddenly feeling guilty for how wonderful it felt to be back in Harry's arms.

Ron cleared his throat, clearly annoyed and uncomfortable. Hermione knew this would cause an argument later, but for the moment didn't really care.

"Harry, why did you even come here?" Ron demanded. "Shouldn't you be getting interviewed and paraded around the wizarding world."

Harry gently let go of Hermione, sensing Ron didn't like them hugging for so long. She backed away from him hesitantly, not wanting to move away from him, but Ron moved forward, possessively wrapping an arm around her waist. Hermione frowned and twisted away.

"Ron, I know I have a lot to apologize for and a lot to explain. I know you don't want to hear any of it, but I am begging you to at least hear me out," Harry pleaded.

Ron stared and him for a moments, surveying him coldly.

"Harry, you've upset my girlfriend enough for the day. I promise I will talk to you about this, but not now. I can't handle, and I doubt Hermione is up to listening to your bloody excuses right now either," Ron finally answered.

Hermione elbowed Ron. She knew he had a right to be angry with Harry, but she hated seeing them argue, and she hated how possessive he was acting.

Harry flinched visibly when Ron called Hermione his girlfriend and looked in incomprehension at Hermione. Hermione smiled ruefully. She knew she had no reason to feel guilty about dating Ron, but she didn't like how he was rubbing it in Harry's face. And if she wasn't completely mistaken, the news seemed to upset Harry.

"Fine, I'll give you your space. I am glad you're so bloody happy to see me again," Harry snapped, up until them he had been very calm, but Ron's last comment had seemed to set him off and hurt him.

"You have no reason to be angry with me you prat, you're the one who left, deal with the consequences," Ron retorted heatedly.

Harry and Ron stood for a moment in silence, eyes locked. Hermione glanced back and forth, afraid for a moment that they might fight. Harry turned away though abruptly, and without another word turned to go. He glanced back and met Hermione's eyes. The emerald depths his were unreadable, but his face clearly gave away the agony and disappointed he was feeling. She felt guilty for being so quick to forgive Harry, but it hurt her to see him in pain even if he may have deserved the things Ron had said to him.

Suddenly his was gone again. Hermione burst into to tears again. This day was taking a toll on her emotions. Seeing Harry again had stirred something in her, and she hated feeling so confused and guilty.

Ron came over and silently hugged her. She sighed, grateful that for the moment Ron wasn't going to argue with her about Harry. It would have pushed her emotionally over the edge.

-->