Unofficial Portkey Archive

Seriously by ItsLily2U
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Seriously

ItsLily2U

Seriously

By Itslily2u (aka Meg)

*

I haven't written in a while… So take heed. :D

Chapter One. A Wish in a Dream.

Lily Evans made her way happily through the entrance hall, carefully balancing four heavy books in her arms. She smiled at random people as she passed; it was a beautiful morning out--the sky was clear, the birds were singing, it was Friday, and, last but not least, there were to be no Potions that day.

As she passed through the wide doors that led to the Great Hall, Lily unfolded one of her slender arms from her books to tuck a piece of coppery hair behind her ear. She liked it much better up and out of the way, but as Alice had been on her for some time about wearing it down, she really had no choice but to leave it… The day was much to lovely to be difficult anyway.

A pair of clam grey eyes met Lily's own vibrant green as she scanned the Gryffindor table for a place to sit. She smiled at her best friend of six years (along with Alice, who was probably off at the Hufflepuff table with her boyfriend Frank), Remus Lupin, who grinned and motioned for Lily to take the seat next to him. Remus was sitting with James Potter and Peter Pettigrew, two of his best friends.

While Peter was tolerable enough, if not a little quiet and shy at times, James (or Potter, as Lily so adamantly called him), was quite the opposite. To her, he was nothing but a bully and had been since the day she'd met him. The two were the Heads for their year, however, so Lily did try to be as civil as possible when talking to him, despite her inclination to ignore him altogether… Though she saw enough of him outside classes and Head duties. She wouldn't not talk to Remus just to avoid Potter, so she was honored with his enlightening presence quite often.

Too much for her taste, even.

Lily sighed and shifted the books in her arms a bit as she rounded the Hufflepuff table. It wouldn't hurt to sit by Potter just for breakfast, would it? Maybe he would be feeling a little off-color today and would remain silent. She'd endured his voluble self since the beginning of the year, anyway… Besides, she knew she would be setting some sort of good example for the younger students… Fighting with the Head Boy would not be the way to go, desirable as it might be.

Then again, sometimes she simply could not stop herself. Especially when he did that annoying hair-ruffle-thing. Oh, if Lily hated anything about the boy, it was that. Or when he put his feet up on the tables in the library. Or had all those witty responses to the teachers questions which were undoubtedly right, if not a little smart in their reply. Or when he hexed random students just for fun, no matter the year, house, or rank; though his personal favorite did seem to be Snape (who really wasn't that nice after all, but someone had to stop Potter from being downright cruel), of Slytherin House.

But then, the more Lily thought about it as she moved between the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables, she really could not remember the last time she'd seen one of the Marauders (the name that Potter, Lupin, Pettigrew, and Black had fashioned themselves with) hurling hexes and nasty spells at people in corridors. Maybe they finally had grown up… Maybe.

"Pardon me, miss, but I was wondering…"

Lily stopped where she was, but didn't turn. A small smile lit her features as she looked up at the bright sky through the enchanted ceiling. Yes, she recognized that voice.

"Those books look awfully heavy… I think a gentleman should help you with 'em. Just maybe…"

"Oh?" Slowly, she turned, her eyes narrowed. "And I was under the impression that I was getting along just fine… without a gentleman." She winked and turned to go. "Very kind of you, though, Mr. Black. Really."

"You think so?" His countenance was bright.

Lily laughed as two warm arms wound their way around her waist from behind. "Sirius, you're going to make me drop these."

"Ah… Right. Now, where were we?"

Lily turned to look at her boyfriends of two months (one week and three days) and we greeted with a suggestive smile.

"Oh, but of course!" He grinned and winked roguishly. "You were letting me take these, I believe?" In one graceful movement, he had one arm back around Lily's waist, her large books on his other.

Lily smiled at Sirius as he led her toward the table. Of course, a few heads turned their way, but Lily had long-since gotten used to that. At first, it was a little unnerving to have the attention of so many people, but it had slowly worn down to people looking up only to adore the newfound "Golden Couple" of Hogwarts.

Lily hated Potions. Sure, she was alright at brewing up the basics (actually, though Lily was one of the Potion's Master's favorite pupils outside his house--Slytherin--but that didn't mean she had to like it… At all.

So it was no surprise that Lily found herself curled up in an armchair that Saturday in September (the 8th to be exact) near the fire after a particularly long afternoon of N.E.W.T level Potions. She had a table pulled close to her chair, her work spread out upon it--the first essay of the year. It had to be perfect, and yet, the evening had not been kind to her.

Though she didn't know what time it was, Lily could guess it was getting rather late, nearing eleven or twelve at least, judging by the relative emptiness of the common room. A small group of sixth years were finally leaving their cluster in the corner, pushing their chairs back into place at the tables; the three fourth years were just packing up their things after a long night of studying (and yawning) from their table near the portrait hole; the only person remaining was a tiny first year sprawled out on the couch, a book lying open on his chest.

It had been quite a while since Lily had first seen the book slipping lower and lower from his grip. He'd obviously been so tired he'd not been able to do anything about it. Lily couldn't blame the poor thing; she'd done it many a time her first year.

With one last growl of frustration at her Potions essay, Lily got to her feet, stretching leisurely. She tucked her parchment away in her book, left it in her armchair and walked silently over to the couch, where she gently prodded the young boy away.

"No, mum, p-please… ten more… min… min… minutes…" he mumbled sleepily, rolling over, taking the book with him.

Lily laughed and shook him by the shoulder. "Timothy?" She pulled the book from his grasp. "Come on, kiddo. You need to get up. It's late and you'll be better off in your dorm…"

He sniffed and opened an eye. "Oh…" Rubbing his eyes, the tiny red-head sat up. "Thanks, Lily… Guess I fell asleep."

Lily smiled softly and ruffled his hair, very close to hers in color, she noticed. "Anytime. Good night."

She watched as he made his way clumsily over to the boys' stairs and started his way up.

"I was going to do that soon, if you didn't."

Lily turned. Hadn't Little Tim been the only one in the common room? She hadn't noticed anyone else.

Sirius Black was sitting back in a corner, on the opposite side of the fire, surrounded by books and parchment, much like Lily had been previously. "And from the looks of things, you weren't."

Lily raised an eyebrow playfully. "Looks of things?"

"Well, you were quite into that Potions book."

"I suppose I was, if into it can be the same as irritated with." Lily snorted, now feeling uneasy under his intense gaze. As a distraction, she walked over to the window just to the left of Sirius's little niche.

"Ah." He watched her carefully, a curious expression in place.

"I've always wanted to go there, you know." Lily smiled peacefully, leaning her forehead thoughtfully against the windowpane.

"Where?" Sirius asked, a slight smile forming.

"Why, the moon, of course." Lily said matter-of-factly. She smiled at him for a moment, then sighed and turned her head so that she could look over at Black and have her cheek on the cold glass instead, as she pointed in the direction of the sky outside. "My mom used to always tell me and my sister stories… She would tell us stories about the moon, about the mountains and oceans… about far away countries. She always told such beautiful stories… Oh, I do miss her… And she would always pull me up in her lap and tell me how she loved her baby…" Lily laughed affectionately, a far off look in her green eyes that she had glued to the tiny sliver of moon that was visible.

Sirius thought for a moment. He pushed his chair back and stepped up beside the window, looking out, just as Lily had done.

"I would fly you to the moon and back if you'll be…" Tentatively, he reached up and brushed the pad of his thumb across her cheek and bottom lip. "if you'll be my baby."

Lily's breath caught in her chest and she swallowed. "What?" She breathed. Then, gaining some of her composure back, she pulled away just enough so that he wasn't touching her face anymore. It was much easier to talk like that. Now she only had to worry about those startling grey eyes. "What if I don't want to come back?" she quipped, only half teasingly. She wanted to see his reaction; she had never known Sirius Black to be romantic… If that was romantic at all. It could have been a line. It sounded vaguely familiar.

"Well…" Sirius blinked, unable to do much else. No girl had ever com back with anything like that, usually they just melted at his feet. Not that he expected Lily Evans to. He could tell one thing from the time he'd been spending with her over the last few days… This girl was not like other females. "But--" Oh, he rather liked her that way. She was unpredictable, like spring rain.

Lily smiled and turned to go back to her chair. "I really should get back to work on those Potions."

Sirius watched her go back to the fireside. He couldn't give up just yet.

Lily slid back into her armchair, once again surrounded by books and quills. She glanced up briefly and their eyes met--but only for a second before she lowered them again to busy herself with her speckled quill. This time, with her head bowed, Sirius saw a faint blush appear.

He took this as a good sign and went back to his work. He knew that if he wanted anything more than friendship (and perhaps just friendship) with Lily Evans, it would take a good deal of thought, time, and wit. She wasn't one of those air-head types that fell for any line or went for any smile. No, it would take convincing and meaning.

Sirius Black had always considered himself an excellent convincer. And he threw himself into whatever he did, heart and soul, leaving nothing half-done.

Not that he thought of her as a bet, either, because he didn't. He couldn't lower himself that much; he simply wanted to know the ever-elusive, quick-to-think, beautiful, smart, funny Lily Elizabeth Evans a little bit more.

Not less than a quarter of an hour later, Lily pushed her book to the floor unceremoniously. "I bloody give up!" She frowned deeply at the large book on the floor, bringing up her arms to cross over her chest.

Sirius looked up with raised eyebrows. He'd always known she had a temper… And not only from the red hair. He caught her eye and smiled slowly. "Problem?"

"Hmph." came the grumbled response as Lily dangerously flicked a quill to the floor, shifting to face her parchment, eyes narrowed.

Once all the rolls were gone from her lap and the arms of her chair, she sighed and rose to her feet, still frowning. "Good night, Sirius Black."

"Night." Sirius smiled in appreciation as he watched her walk toward her dormitory, leaving everything on the floor behind her. She definitely had a mind of her own. He liked that. "Wait…Lily?" he called just as her bottom foot grazed the stairs.

"Yes?" She looked more calm and less irritable as she turned.

"You never gave me an answer. Not really."

She narrowed her green eyes slightly, as though trying to remember something. Slowly, they widened in remembrance. "I don't recall a question."

Sirius cocked his head to the side, just enough to be noticed. "But it was." He blinked.

The corners of Lily's mouth twitched, as though she was about to smile. She looked thoughtfully around the room, until her eyes landed on him once again. "Like I said," She raised an eyebrow and smirked. "I've always wanted to go there." With a wink, she turned to hurry up the stairs.

But just as she made it to the third step, Sirius called out to her once more. "Lily!"

She turned, not very surprised to find him only a few feet away. He stood there, at the base of the stairs, looking as though he could barely believe his eyes.

"Mm?"

Lily suppressed a smile. She knew exactly what was coming: and she wasn't about to let that happen. She had to make him work for it.

She only had time to register the hungry look in his dark eyes before they fluttered shut and she was left looking at his long, sooty lashes. Just in time, she turned her head.

"Now, now, Mr. Black. We aren't quite to the moon just yet, are we?" She teased in a whisper, just before turning and bouncing out of reach. "You'll walk me to class tomorrow, won't you?" She smiled brightly over her shoulder and winked back. "Don't forget!"

Sirius could only watch her go, one thought lodged firmly in his mind. Lily was one of a kind.

"Morning, Lils," Remus greeted with a smile over the Daily Prophet in his hands. He pushed a goblet of pumpkin juice forward. "Little late this morning, aren't you? Bell's 'bout to ring."

Lily absently laid her hand on Sirius's as he knocked over a stack of pancakes to reach an empty goblet. "Oh, I was touching up an essay… I guess it… erm… Remus?" Lily smiled suspiciously down at the plate he'd placed in front of her. She fought back a laugh. "Kippers… for me?"

"Hm?" Remus looked up again. "Oh. Sorry." He handed the plate off to Sirius, who looked at it cautiously for a moment. "This lump'll eat just about anything, won't he?"

"This lump is also right here." Sirius said somewhat impatiently, taking a fork anyway and stabbing at his plate.

But before the his first bite was even halfway to his mouth, the bell signaling the start of class rang out.

Remus chuckled softly; Lily smiled to herself; Sirius grumbled and pushed himself back from the bench, offering a hand to Lily. "So. What's for lunch?"

*

K… well, that's my first hit at yet another fic. I haven't written any in… like a year and a half.. Hope it's as good as you all told me my other's were! I rather enjoy this one… I got the idea from a challenge that I found once on the site. When I went back, though, to post a bit of it, the challenge was taken off the wall. So I never did anymore to it… Except the other day, I found it, and as it is summer now, I felt in the mood to write a bit. So I did, and I changed many things about the challenge and instead molded it to my liking. I think I like it. I don't know yet. Let me know if you do/don't. Thanks!

Megs