Unofficial Portkey Archive

Changes by alayneni
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Changes

alayneni

An: This was written before the release of DH and I have up to eight chapters posted at FF.net. I hope you enjoy the story. The prologue is short but I'll post the next chapter shortly. This story follows all of Portkey's ships.

CHANGES

Prologue

Harry, Ron and Ginny stood at the entrance to the burrow. It had been seven years since they were last there and from appearances nothing much had changed. It looked exactly the same, which was a bit unnerving because though they hoped it would be the same, realistically, it should have changed. Ginny anxiously knocked on the front door while Ron and Harry nervously stood behind her. Ginny wasn't supposed to come with him when he left seven years ago but she refused to let him go. Ron knew his mom was probably most upset with him for taking Ginny along. She was the only Weasley girl and his parents adored her.

Harry too was anxious. The Weasley's were like family to him. He wasn't sure if they would just accept him back after he picked up and left with their two youngest children. The war had been disastrous. There was so much pain and suffering during both during and after the war. Everywhere Harry turned he saw it. It reached to the point where he couldn't stand it. He had to leave. Ron volunteered to go with him but Harry initially refused they offer. After a long discussion Harry eventually caved and agreed to let Ron accompany him. The night they had prepared to leave, Ginny appeared fully packed and ready to go with them.

The war had been very exhausting on both sides with Harry's side eventually winning. The Weasley's were one of the luckiest families, as all of their children survived the war. The final battle occurred at Hogwarts and the castle received a great deal of damage. In fact, up until six months after the war, when they left, the castle was still closed due to rebuilding efforts. The new Hogwarts was one of the things Harry wanted to see. He also wondered who the new professors were as the majority of the professors died trying to save the castle. Professors Vector, Sinstra, Sprout, Slughorn, Trewlany, Madame Pompfrey, Madame Hooch, Hagrid and Headmistress McGonagall all died that day. They had heard a rumour when they were passing through Egypt that Professor Flitwick was the current headmaster of Hogwarts.

The hunt for the horcruxes had been very exhausting on them. Ron and Hermione had followed him every step of the way. The visit to Godric's Hollow had been very emotional and Harry had no clue how he managed to deal with it. He knew now that he was older he would like to go there again. He was hoping to make the journey again with Ron and Hermione. He remembered that when he saw his parents' graves he had collapsed in a fit of tears. He knew somewhere his head had ended up in Hermione's lap and she was gently stroking his hair while she whispered soothing words to him. She gave him the courage to go on. He knew he had a lot to thank his best friend for. In the last seven years he had more than expressed his thanks to Ron for all the times Ron saved him but his one regret was that he had yet to thank Hermione.

Both he and Ron had left Hermione behind. They hadn't told her they were leaving but they owled her a note after they were far enough away. Hermione had been spending time with her parents and the last thing he wanted to do was take Hermione away from her parents. She had already devoted too much time to him and he wanted her to have a life free of his problems. He honestly hadn't expected to be gone so long. In his quick note to her he said he would be leaving for a short time to clear his head and he promised he would be back soon. To guarantee his return, he left Hedwig in her care. He remembered telling Hedwig to look after Hermione for him. He was hoping she wouldn't be too upset with him. Seven years could be considered a short time since wizards often had a long life. At least, he was hoping she would take this view.

Harry was broken out of his thoughts by loud footsteps behind the door. He mentally braced himself for Mrs. Weasley's greeting but the sight that greeted him was the last thing he ever expected to see at the Burrow.

-->