Unofficial Portkey Archive

Changes by alayneni
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Changes

alayneni

An: Very sorry for the extremely long wait.

Chapter 14 - Funeral

"He's dead."

Hermione's voice seemed to echo around the room. Molly panicked and pushed even harder against Harry to get to her daughter. If Neville was dead did that mean that her daughter was gone as well? She needed to know if she was ok. A panic started building deep within her and all she could think about was getting to Ginny. The harder she tried to push Harry, the harder he pushed back. She couldn't understand why he would keep her from her daughter.

The medics soon arrived and examined Neville reaching the same conclusion as Hermione. They then carefully rolled Neville off of Ginny, as they had to ensure that moving him would not cause further injury to the witch below him. Another medic removed his body so that the others had space to begin working on the redhead.

"She's alive!" The medic said and the tense atmosphere seemed to lift just a little.

"My baby!" Molly cried in relief as she stopped struggling and let her full weight rest on Harry who was caught off guard by the quick change in her behaviour.

"She is unconscious and could have severe head injuries as well as some internal trauma. We're taking her to St. Mungo's now."A medic informed them.

Molly quickly followed behind the medics and disappeared through the debris into the atrium. Both Harry and Hermione wanted to follow her but they knew they had a job to do. This would be Harry's first crime scene as an Auror. All of the injured had been removed already and all that remained were shattered tables, debris from the walls and crystals from the once magnificent chandelier. Where would they even start in this mess?

"Auror Potter." A small voice asked from behind him.

He turned around to find a witch in scarlet robes, a fellow auror. She must have been in her early forties as her hair was greying slightly and there were a few wrinkles on her face. He raked his brain to remember her name. She was in charge of the magic detection department. They operated a bit like forensic investigators in the muggle world.

"I need to take your statement about what happened now, while it's still fresh in your mind. Everything you observed would be helpful. I need you to start from the moment you were assigned this mission." She said.

"Why …" Harry opened his mouth to voice his opinion but the witch cut him off with a sigh.

"Auror Potter, this is obviously an inside job. In order to compile a full picture of the crime, I need to start from the moment this ball was conceptualised. Somewhere along the way, those fountains were included into the floo system and the sooner I can identify that moment, the sooner I can start to identify the leak. My staff and I need to interview over 100 persons involved. In the interest of time, it would be best if we do this now. Aurors can be quite difficult to track down." The witch insisted.

Harry nodded and started recounting his day from the beginning. He glanced at Hermione and noticed she was talking to another Auror as well. When they were finished Kingsley approached them.

"Granger get some rest!" Kingsley ordered.

The witch opened her mouth to protest but he stopped her. "Potter, I'm ordering you to make sure she gets some sleep" When Harry gave him a very apprehensive look, because really, who could make Hermione do something she did not want to do, Kinglsey added, "Even if you have to tie her to you, you make sure she rests."

"But.." the witch started again.

"No buts. You know Auror Mayweather is investigating. There is nothing you can do right now. We did not apprehend anyone to question and we have no leads at the moment. The best strategic move is for you to get rest and you know it."

Hermione's shoulders slumped and she dropped her gaze to the floor. She had lost that argument. "Come on Harry. Let's get going."

Harry nodded and followed Hermione out into the atrium.

"Where are we headed to?" Harry asked.

"St. Mungo's of course," was her quick reply before she disappeared.

Harry pictured his destination and soon he felt that familiar squeezing sensation and he was at his destination.

-*-

Luna was sipping tea in the kitchen as she anxiously awaited Ron's arrival to find out how his first mission went. She knew he was nervous and he lacked confidence in his partner's abilities. He was very uncomfortable working with a slytherin but if he wanted to do well he was going to have to get over that.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the appearance of her father. Being the lovely daughter that she was, she stood and kissed him on the cheek.

"Would you like some tea?" She offered kindly.

"I'm sorry Luna but I can't stay long. I just came to give you the news." He said solemnly.

Luna's happiness evaporated immediately at her father's tone. She knew that tone well, the tone of death. The tone her father had used countless of times when he informed her that they had lost someone in the order.

"Who?" was all she could ask. His eyes softened as he looked at his daughter.

"Neville," He said sadly.

Luna's hand shot out to steady herself against the chair as her whole world started to spin before her. Neville, her father had just said Neville. No, that was not possible. Neville was at the ball. He was safe at the ball. He was with Ginny and Harry and Ron and Hermione, how could something have happened. Her father could see her confusion and he started to explain about the attack.

Tears sprang to her eyes as he recounted what he had heard from Harry.

"I should go to St. Mungos," Luna said hastily as she tried to walk past her father to get to the fireplace.

Her father stopped her and drew her into a hug. "No, it's too crowded. There are many injured and twice as many family members waiting for news on loved ones. You probably couldn't get in even if you used Harry's cloak."

Two other bodies joined the hug and Luna looked up to see Harry and Hermione. When would the time come that she they would not need to mourn the tragic loss of loved ones?

-*-

The next morning the atmosphere in the kitchen was quiet and depressing. By now, everyone had heard what had happened. Ginny was still resting in the hospital and had yet to wake up. The doctors said she was out of danger and her family was thankful for that but at the same time they dreaded telling her what had happened to Neville. They had agreed that Bill would break the news to her with Molly there to support her.

Ron had just arrived in the kitchen from the hospital and his stomach was growling for food but he just didn't feel like eating. He felt guilty to be enjoying a meal at a time like this and he just paced around the kitchen while Luna and Harry watched him.

All of a sudden Draco's voice drifted down the corridor and the three of them looked curiously at the door. Was he shouting? Suddenly the door swung violently open and Draco came barrelling into the kitchen with Hermione trailing behind him.

"I'm going to kill her! Dobby bring me the best poison we have. It needs to be untraceable." Draco barked, his face the reddest anyone had ever seen.

"Draco, calm down," Hermione pleaded.

"Calm down, is that all you can say. You were the one that guaranteed that this wouldn't happen. You told me it was impossible." He screamed at her frantically.

"Draco I.." she tried to respond.

"What you're sorry, sorry does not cut it. The only way to fix this is to kill her." The last remaining Malfoy insisted.

"Draco, be reasonable." The brunette pleaded with her friend.

"This is reasonable. I could always torture her then kill her." The platinum haired wizard pointed out.

He paced the floor like a caged animal while he waited for Dobby, who hesitantly went to fetch the poison.

"I should have asked Snape instead of you!" he screamed at the brown haired witch who flinched at his mention of Snape.

"Well if you feel Snape is so reliable, why don't you go to him for a poison!" She shouted back without thinking.

"Maybe I will." He said before he barged out the door.

Hermione dropped into the chair completely deflated.

"What was that about?" Harry asked.

"Natalie's pregnant."

"Oh no." Luna gasped.

"It's a good thing I found out before he did or I would be taking him to Azkaban again." Hermione commented.

"How did you find out?"

"Overheard her talking last night. I'm thankful she hasn't told him yet. If he had cracked like that with her it would have been a complete disaster."

"What's the big deal, so he knocked some witch up? He's a Malfoy when has family meant anything to him. He's always been so selfish. He is more concerned with himself than what's going on around him." Ron commented angrily.

"The Malfoy family pride is on the line. He would be the first one in recorded history to have a child outside of wedlock. She's expecting him to propose once she gives him the news." Hermione explained.

"Ron, he's not as selfish as you think. Afterall, we are all living in his house. Why does it feel like everything is falling apart?" Luna cried..

In a very surprising moment, Ron covered Luna's hand with his. "Everything will be fine. I promise you that. With Ron Weasley on the case, things will be back to normal in no time."

That was the first time, Luna had smiled since the news of Neville's death.

-*-

Draco emerged from the fireplace in Snape's living quarters at Hogwarts to find that he was interrupting an intimate moment between his mentor and his wife on the sofa.

Victoria eyes snapped to the dust covered Draco. "This had better be life or death," she threatened as the witch removed herself from her husband, grabbed her wand off the side table next to the sofa and summoned a robe from the bedroom to cover herself. Draco ignored her as he brushed the soot off of his robe.

"Don't you ever clean your fireplace?" Draco snapped back at her.

The witch glared at him. "What is it this time? You do know that Snape and I have a life."

"I would like to talk to him in private. This is none of your business." Draco hissed completely unperturbed by the state in which he had found them.

Victoria raised her wand to hex him but Snape grabbed his wife's hand.

"Let me handle this. Why don't you wait for me in the bedroom," he said smoothly.

"Fine, but I'm not doing this for you," She said pointing at Draco. "I'm doing this because your father would want me to."

Draco watched her walk away and then turned his attention to Snape. "She still has that ridiculous crush on my father?"

"Don't mess with me Draco. What do you want?"

"A batch of your strongest poison that can't be detected after death."

Snape eyed the young wizard before him.

"In all the years that I taught you, did you learn nothing?" he asked.

"Just give it to me old man."

"Don't get rude with me, I can hex you back into the previous century." Snape snapped.

"Just try, I've been practicing." Draco spoke up bravely.

Faster than Draco could blink Snape had him disarmed and hanging upside down in the air. Snape sat down on the sofa and lowered Draco to eye level in front of him.

"Now that we are all settled, do you care to enlighten me what this is about?" he asked.

Draco crossed his arms on his chest stubbornly. "I need a poison."

"Yes, I heard you the first time. Since you seem to be a bit slow today, why do you need the poison."

"I want to poison someone." Draco replied sullenly.

"Are you trying to make me mad enough to kill you?" Snape threatened.

Draco sighed. "Hermione failed. Natalie's pregnant."

"Oh, that's all. I thought it was something more serious than that."

"That's all, that's all you can say. This is serious. She's pregnant, do you not understand, pregnant, as in going to have my child." Draco responded angrily.

"I am well aware of what pregnant means. Victoria and I have been trying to have a child for a while now. This is something good Draco. You can continue the Malfoy line. Granted your child's mother isn't the best pick but your father would be satisfied that she's a pure blood."

Draco glowered at Snape at the reminder of what his father would have wanted.

"I think I will leave you here for a while to ponder what it means to be a father and the happiness you might find in taking care of a child." Snape said as he abruptly turned and headed to his bedroom door.

Snape paused at the door way and then turned around. He transfigured his table into a long rope and levitated it up to Draco's feet. He then tied one end of the rope around Draco's feet and the other to ceiling.

"Just in case I can't maintain you in the air while I'm busy with Victoria. Oh and bring me a sample of the potion you were using. I'll figure out how this happened." Snape said before turning around to attend to his wife's needs.

-*-

Three days had passed since the incident at the Ministry. Ginny had woken up and had not talked to anyone since Bill had delivered the bad news about Neville. The Prophet had given her time off and she shut herself away in her room. Only Dobby had seen her when he took food to her room. She emerged today to go to Neville's funeral. She knew she had to at least say goodbye. She had truly loved him and hoped that he would be the one that she would settle down with and have lots of children like her mother but that hope had been bitterly crushed.

She made her way straight to the floo chamber and ignored the concerned looks from her family. She would be meeting everyone in Flitwick's office before heading to the Great Hall for the ceremony. As she dusted the soot off of her in the office, she was thankful that she had arrived before her mother. As much as she loved Molly, she didn't want to be smothered today. She was sick and tired of people trying to ask her if she was ok. Of course she wasn't ok. Neville had just died, did they really expect her to just pick up and move on so quickly. She glanced at the portraits on the wall and found that most of the previous headmasters were gone. She exited the office and made her way to the Great Hall. Her family should be able to find their way without her.

As Ginny walked through the hallways she realised that a part of her missed her days at Hogwarts, well at least the days that weren't consumed with Voldemort. She had had a few friends in her year group and they used to sit in the common room and talk. She missed that. Maybe it was time to reconnect with some of her old friends and develop a life that didn't revolve around Harry, the order and death. She had travelled the world and death still seemed to follow them. Maybe death could spare her from this pain and misery.

-*-

The Great Hall

All the students were gathered in the hall to pay tribute to Neville Longbottom, beloved Herbology Professor at Hogwarts and head of Gryffindor House. A beautiful picture of Neville in the greenhouse with his students stood on stage behind the teacher's table. Neville moved about in the picture with a large smile on his face as he taught his students about different plants. Many of the students who were in that picture were crying at the memory.

It was a long ceremony. Prof. Flitwick was the first up to pay tribute to Neville. He gave a touching homage to his Herbology Professor, recounting fond memories while Neville was both a student and Professor at Hogwarts. Several other teachers followed Flitwick including both Grawp and Oliver Wood. A few of his outstanding students made short contributions, thanking Professor Longbottom for encouraging their love of Herbology and teaching them everything they knew about plants. Harry made a speech as well as a few of the Weasleys. Ginny chose to remain silent.

After the tribute, the cremation was held on the grounds. The Eulogy given by his grandmother, had everyone in tears. She had outlived all of her family and had nothing left. She mentioned to Remus that she would leave all of her belongings to The Order when it was her time to go because she knew that was what Neville would have wanted.

-*-

After the ceremony, Hermione spotted Snape talking with the new Ancient Runes teacher, Professor Adderwort and she decided it would be an excellent time to address a matter with Snape that had been troubling her.

"Can I talk with you a moment Professor?" She asked politely.

"Ah, Ms. Granger, I haven't seen you in some time." Snape sneered at her.

Hermione resisted the urge to roll her eyes at Snape's act. "Please Professor, it would only take a moment and its Auror Granger now."

"Excuse me, Lystra." Snape said to his companion. "Let's go to my office, that is, if you remember where it is Auror Granger."

Hermione followed Snape through the familiar halls of Hogwarts until she reached his office. They entered quickly and Snape casted a spell on the door to prevent ease dropping. Hermione burst out laughing as soon as she knew no one could hear her. Snape gave her a piercing gaze.

"Now is not the time to find this funny." The greasy haired wizard reprimanded her and she instantly sobered.

"What is this about? It couldn't possibly have to do with the attack at the Ministry." He commented.

"No it doesn't. I assume you've heard about Draco."

"Yes I did. He came to see me."

Knowing Snape would not reveal the contents of his conversation with Draco, Hermione chose to move on. She handed him a piece of paper and he looked over the contents.

"This is quite a complex potion. Do you need help making it?" Snape asked to which he received a glare from the brunette witch.

"That is the potion that Draco was using to prevent Natalie from conceiving. I used a more complex potion because I wanted to avoid something like this happening. Not any potion maker could have deciphered those ingredients and found a way to counteract it."

"Impressive, I see you were actually paying attention in my classes. I had feared that Potter and Weasley might have been a big distraction for you. There are two or three wizards that I know that are capable of this." Snape said

"Who?" Hermione asked.

Snape levelled his gaze at her and appeared to be contemplating his words carefully.

"Let me handle this for you. It would be easier for me to find out and the pureblood community is aware that Narcissa had asked me to look after her son, so it would not be a surprise if I look for the potion master myself. After all, it would be assumed that I was the one that made this potion."

Hermione opened her mouth to protest but Snape cut her off. "You should focus all your energies on the Ministry attack. That is the priority here."

Hermione nodded her and turned to leave the office. As she opened the door, she commented loudly for any passerby's to hear. "Thank you Professor for your unhelpful words." before she slammed the door and stalked off.

Her mind was full of thoughts and she let her feet lead the way. Eventually she found herself standing in front of the area that lead to the Room of Requirement. Flashes of her dream ran through her mind. She was soon snapped out of staring by Nearly Headless Nick who had been sent to find her by Harry. She had completely forgotten that there was a meeting of the order that night and they needed to get back to the Manor to prepare.

-*-

The Order of the Phoenix

Molly called the meeting to order. It would be the first time that Harry and Ron would be attending a meeting since they took the vow to officially join. There were a lot more members here this time and Harry was mildly surprised to see a few more Slytherins. Ron's partner was here and that seemed to ease Ron's apprehension of working with her.

"I would like every member to give one minute of silence in honour of a fallen comrade Neville Longbottom." Molly announced.

The silence was unsettling for Harry and he wondered how many times the order had done this before. He noticed a few more Aurors were here and he was glad that he could trust so many of his colleagues. The attack on the ball had shaken many people's trust in Ministry officials as it was clearly and inside job.

"On to business, I believe Auror Mayweather is up first." Molly announced

"Yes, thank you Molly. My department has discovered that the secretary to the Minister, Ms. Astoria Greengrass, sent a requisition to the magical procurement unit for magical fountains for the ball. Mr. Sparklewire at that division sent a memo back to Ms. Greengrass informing her that there were no distributors for the type of fountain that she required but that they could source a muggle fountain and charm it. Ms. Greenwater apparently agreed to that." Auror Mayweather paused for a sip of water before continuing on.

"Mr. Sparklewire proceeded to source the fountains from a muggle decorating store. The fountains were procured the day of the ball and charmed in the ballroom before the event started. We have interviewed the wizards that charmed the fountains and at this point, we have no reason to hold them. We have therefore concluded that the fountains came already contacted to the floo system. I pass things on to Auror Granger now."

"After Auror Mayweather discovered this information she brought it to me. Harry and I decided to pay the store a little visit as an engaged couple looking for decorations for our wedding. The store clerk recognised Harry and made a run for it. We were able to apprehend him. Aurors Bullstrode and Weasley were assigned to interrogate him while Harry and I investigated the store further. We discovered that the store had recently been purchased by one of Primus's holding companies in the muggle world. Harry was able to get a list of the businesses owned under the holding company and we are currently investigating each one. We have informed our muggle counterparts of several businesses that are distributing drugs and weapons."

Milicent Bullstrode stood at this point and started reporting on the interrogation. "The suspect refused to talk at first but after a few hours at Azkaban he was more than ready to talk. He claimed he needed a job and a wizard offered him the job as a clerk in the muggle store. He had been working at that store for a year and he said that many charmed objects have been sold from the store to muggles. I believe Auror Granger and Potter have a list of the clients that patronised the store. He was able to give us a description of the wizard that hired him. He knew him only as Magnus and he was the only wizard he dealt with."

"Thank you for your report Aurors. I want all members to be on the lookout for suspicious activity and I want everyone to check their houses for items that might have listening charms on them. Percy as assistant to the Minister can you look into Ms. Greengrass?" Molly asked

"I know her, never thought she was involved in anything." Percy responded.

"Be careful Percy. The Minister was most likely the target of the last attack. Even though the Aurors are providing more protection to the Minister, keep your eyes open." Bill advised his younger brother.

"Since there is no other business to discuss, the meeting is adjourned. As usual Draco has generously provided some refreshments, please help yourself." Molly announced.

Seamus made a beeline for Hermione. "Mione, I am so hurt! I'm injured for a short time and you go and get engaged to my replacement!"

She responded with a strong punch to his upper arm. "Bloody hell Hermione that hurt."

"You know George," Fred said coming up behind the two, "Whenever she responds with violence, we are usually right?" George agreed enthusiastically.

"So what's it like snogging The Great Harry Potter then?" Tonks teased as well.

Hermione glared at everyone. "I should have kept my big mouth shut."

"Oh come on Mione," Harry said as he slung his arm around her shoulders. "It's not that bad. I rather enjoy our time in the closet at headquarters."

"Not you too Harry!" Hermione said trying to hide her blush in her hands.

"As long as you two stick to the closet you should be safe, I definitely don't recommend Kingsley's desk." Ron said waggling his eyebrows at his two best friends.

"RON!!!!!!" Hermione shouted utterly horrified by his suggestion.

"That's not a bad idea!" Harry said rubbing his chin as though he were deep in thought. A sharp elbow from Hermione quickly stopped his mocking.

Hermione wanting to change the topic decided to ask the twins about Ginny. That seemed to sober everyone up and remove the attention from her. Maybe her face could stop glowing red now.

Soon the refreshments were finished and members started to leave. Hermione decided to spend the night at the manor and she vehemently insisted to Ron, it was not to snog with Harry. In truth Hermione was staying to try and talk to Draco, he was avoiding her and she was hoping she could speak some sense into him. She watched Luna leave the room and knew she was going to try and approach Ginny who had not attended the meeting.

-*-

The next morning, Molly sat at the kitchen table looking at the sullen wizard in front of her. He was sitting with his hands crossed in front of his chest and a defiant look on his face. None of her children would dare show her this disrespect but this boy had not been raised like her sons.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy," Molly stated sternly.

"Mother, don't bother, he isn't worth your time." Ginny spat as she came through the door to the kitchen.

Both gave a surprised look at her sudden appearance. Before her mother could start up with her questions, Ginny stopped her.

"Mother I am fine. Neville died a week ago and I have stayed in this manor long enough. I'm ready to go to work and I'm ready to move out."

"Oh, do you want to move in with me and Sol?" Molly asked hopefully.

"No mother, I want some space to myself."

"But Ginny dear, I don't think that's the best thing for you right now. You need to be around family. Perhaps with Bill or with Charlie then?" Molly prodded further.

"The last thing I need right now is family. Every time I see one of you I'm reminded of everything Neville and I could have had but now will never have. I want the pain to go away. I need to heal and I don't think I can do that with you or my brothers around." Ginny explained sadly.

Molly wanted to protest, to tell her daughter that it was family that helped her survive when Arthur passed but Draco cut in.

"The apartment next to Natalie's is vacant and Natalie is looking for someone to occupy it. Despite the Weasley's low status among the pureblood families, she will rent it to you since only half bloods have shown an interest in it thus far."

Molly disapproved of the idea right away and that was exactly why Ginny agreed to it.

-*-

Three cloaked wizards bowed before Primus.

"Were you able to get the Minister's schedule?"

"Yes."

"Good. I will not accept failure again. You were supposed to have killed the Minister at the ball. I expect him dead by the end of the week."

The three nodded.

"And how is the other plan coming along?"

"It will be completed tonight master."

"Excellent, by the time Granger realises what is going on, its going to be too late for her to save her precious friend this time."