Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Never Ending Battle by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Never Ending Battle

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 3: Can You Read My Mind

SUPERMAN

By Luna Lovegood

Look up into the skies. That's no bird, nor plane, nor Auror upon a broom. It's the strange visitor from the planet Krypton. Faster than a speeding hex, more powerful than raging giant, able defy even the laws of gravity, Superman champions the good of the world in a never-ending battle for Truth and Justice. And this reporter was lucky enough to be granted a face to face interview …

---

Northern California

The small army of fire fighters continued to fall back as the wild fire spread over the hills. They were running out of water and their way out was blocked by flames, which stood too high and wild for rescue choppers to get to them.

"You boys have done a good job," a voice spoke from above the fire fighters and they looked to see Superman lower himself before them. "Take a breather, I'll finish this off for you." He said turning to the fire, taking a deep breath before releasing a breath as strong as a hurricane.

Superman didn't stop until every last flame in the area was completely out. Once satisfied he turned to the group. "You've done very well. Don't let anyone discourage you. You're the real heroes, more so than I'll ever be." He said before taking to the air, leaving the stunned but thankful emergency crew in his wake.

---

Moments later, Off the coast of Japan

Tourists screamed as their cruise ship began to sink deeper and deeper into the rough waters. "Look, Superman!" a young child yelled pointing upward while his mother held him tight.

People began to lose their fear and gain excitement as the caped hero dove into the water under the sinking ship. A moment later the boat rocked as he lifted it effortlessly out of the water. "Everyone, keep your arms and legs inside the boat at all times during the trip," Superman called upward as he carried the ship toward the shallow beach.

---

Minutes later, New York City, New York

A group of bank Robbers laughed as they sped away losing their police pursuers. The laughter stopped when driver lost control of the car and the four wheels of their beaten up get away vehicle rose from the ground. "What the Hell's going on?" The driver cursed as his one in the back glanced out the window to see a cape bellowing under their flying car.

The three men began to panic as their car was sat down just the closest police department. "GET HIM!" One cried out as they drew their hand guns and opened fire on the blue and red suited hero.

They emptied their guns on him while he stood there with his hands on his hips. "Are you finished?" Superman asked with a small smirk.

---

The bell on the door chimed as Harry Potter stepped cautiously into Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley. "Quiet morning, Fred?" Harry asked the painting on the wall.

"Business doesn't start picking up till noon, no self respecting prankster wakes up before eleven." Fred's painting winked.

"Of course, is Ron in?" Harry asked as he glanced around the sales floor.

"Ronniekens and my dearest twin are in the back, working on a new product." Fred nodded toward the door behind the register. A moment later smoke billowed from the back door along with insane laughter in stereo. "Doing hard work indeed." The painting smiled proudly. "Hm, might be a job for Superman."

Harry blinked at the painting. "Don't look so surprised, my fellow heroic second gen Marauder. Your secret is safe. I overheard the conversation as I snuck into a painting at McGonagall's office. Besides I can think of no other who would have the stones to parade around with their knickers outside their pants."

"They're not knickers …" Harry grumbled. Fred chuckled, and Harry just shook his head. He proceeded to the back room and found George and Ron on the ground against the wall before four table legs lying on the floor.

"Everyone ok in here?" Harry asked as he entered in carefully.

George and Ron looked up at him, their red hair standing on end and their faces black. "Never better!" George beamed before climbing up to slap an arm around Harry. "Bloody good to see you again, mate!"

Ron smiled and climbed up to his feet. "Alright if I take a break, George?"

"Sure, it'll take a while for me to fix the table again." George nodded as he let go of Harry. "Drop in again soon, Harry, I definitely want to know where you disappeared to all these years!" He said cheerfully before going back to work.

"C'mon, mate," Ron patted Harry's back leading to the conjoining break room, casting a silencing charm on as he closed the door. "Thought you may want to talk about your own job in privacy," Ron said as he sat down in a chair in the break room. "Read the paper, it was a good interview… Though it is odd Luna calling anyone strange."

"Tell me about it …" Harry rolled his eyes as he sat down.

"So you're helping both the Wizardry World and the Muggle World?" Ron asked as he flipped through the Quibbler. "You're everywhere it seems. How are you even having time to be here to talk to me?"

"I let you and Hermione down years ago, Mate, I'm not going to do that again," Harry said as he smiled sadly.

"Stop it right there," Ron pointed a finger at him. "Only persons who let me and Hermione down are ourselves. We were the ones who traveled down that road. We likely would have gone that way anyway had you stayed. Hell, we might have brought you down with us."

"I knew you two were getting a little carried away with all the encouragement and popularity… but I had no idea it got as bad as it was …" Harry sighed.

"The swinger parties were what did us in, guys and girls getting together with alcohol drugs and closing out with sex, lots of sex with everyone … not exactly role model behavior for two war heroes. If it was enough to make Hermione's parents turn their backs had you not gone down with us, you'd probably not be speaking to us either." Ron shook his head.

"Wait, what?" Harry blinked.

"Do I have to go over the mechanics of a swinger party with you, Harry? I know you were up with the penguins for a while but … It's sort of like an organized org-"

"I know what a swinger party is, Weasley, what's this about Hermione's parents?" Harry snapped.

"Yeah, well their relationship was already strained thanks to the mind wipe thing … but when Hermione and I went nuts with the "in-crowd", her parents tried to warn us. I still remember it word for word. This is a road we can't follow you on. Don't do this to yourselves…" Ron quoted, before shaking his head. "We told them to get with modern times and that if they didn't like how we lived our lives they didn't have to be a part of it. Well mostly Hermione said it… not our shinning moment at all… Anyway neither of Doctors Granger have spoken to either of us since."

Ron sighed, "After we came to ourselves I had nightmares of us saying that to you and you never coming back… But here you are and almost all is right in the world, all thanks to the Man of Steel, quote Luna Lovegood." Ron smiled up at his friend before frowning when he saw him looking away. "What is it?"

"I've gotta go, Ron, trouble in a Muggle village up north… then … I have a dentist appointment," He added with a small smile before walking toward the door.

"Drop by again sometime, mate!" Ron waved.

"Don't worry, I'm always around," Harry nodded as he took off his glasses and left the room.

---

"Anyone else's wands working?" An Auror called out as he waved his useless wand at an approaching Mountain Troll.

"Not a hex," another called out before he was thrown into the air by one of the group of five Mountain Trolls stomping toward the helpless Muggle settlement.

"Let me guess, wave of nausea before your magic all failed right?" Superman asked as he easily caught the thrown Auror.

"Yea, that's right…how'd you know?" the Auror blinked still dazed as the Man of Steel placed him down on the ground gently.

"I'm picking up a pattern," Superman said as he eyed the angry rampaging trolls. "I'll deal with these guys, you all figure out where you can reform a ward to seal them back in."

Superman glanced up as a Troll roared and charged him with his club. It reared back and swung it. The massive troll stared in confusion when the smaller human caught it with one hand. "Ok, if you can't play nice then it's time out for you."

Superman flew forward catching the Troll in the middle, lifting it off the ground. It roared in surprise as it rocketed back toward the forest where it escaped. A moment later the remaining four were given the same treatment. The Aurors watched in awe as the hero floated back toward them. "Ok, that should slow them down, but I would suggest reforming a ward inside where it broke as quickly as possible."

"Will do, we still haven't figured out why in places our magic stops working either." The lead Auror stated.

"I haven't an idea either, if I discover anything you or your superiors will be the first to know." Superman said with a wave as he took to the air.

---

"Dr. Granger, you have a visitor," Hermione glanced up at her assistant's voice.

"Who is it, Kathy?" Hermione asked blinking behind her glasses.

"Told me not to say, he's in your office, Doctor," she added with a small smile. "Rosie's keeping him company."

"I best be getting up there and saving him from her then," Hermione smiled as she pulled off her glasses and stood from the lab-table and started toward the office area of the Research Dept of the Ministry.

Hermione quickly made her way to the large office some called her second home. She smiled when she heard her daughter's giggle and leaned against the doorway, finding what she saw completely adorable. She couldn't fight down the grin as she saw her daughter and Harry Potter sprawled across the floor with a Lego block set between them. "Mummy!" Rose beamed as she caught sight of her mother. Harry smiled sheepishly as he looked up from the floor at her. "Uncle Harry and I are building Hogwarts!" She said pointing to the multi-colored castle between the man and child.

"Are you now?" Hermione asked in mock-amazement, appeasing her daughter. "Though I don't remember it being so colorful."

"I know, but my Hogwarts is better, Uncle Harry said so," Rose beamed at the dark haired man who was across from her.

"The old place could have used some more color," Harry nodded with a child-like grin.

"I have a feeling you didn't come all this way to play blocks with my daughter," Hermione noted as she walked into the office. "What brings you our way, Harry?"

"Maybe I wanted to come and build the bestest castle in the whole wide world," He said as he pulled Rose off the ground and began tickling her.

Hermione arched an eyebrow. "And what were your plans afterwards then?"

"Oh, was thinking about taking you out for dinner tonight, to catch up you know?" Harry said as he settled Rose to sit on his shoulder.

"And if I had plans?" Hermione asked with a small smile.

"Then you'd change them," Harry stated matter-of-factly, "Ron's already agreed to watch Rose tonight, he can never say no to father daughter time; no more than you can ever say no to me."

"Has anyone ever told you you're overconfident?" Hermione tried to force down her smile.

"Few times, but I know they're all wrong about that." Harry continued to smile that same boyish smile that made her break every rule in the book at Hogwarts.

"Alright then, put Rose down and come with me," Hermione turned and walked out of the office.

Harry blinked in confusion but did as told. "Where are we going?"

"I'm going to go change my plans." Hermione stated matter-of-factly, "I was going on my third date with someone, but I was looking for an excuse to cancel without causing any awkwardness in the workplace."

Harry wasn't sure what to say to that but continued to follow her as she led him to a lab table. "Hello, Alexander," Hermione greeted the man seated there. He was a tall slender man with a very confident appearance and a clean shaven face and head. "Alexander, this is Harry Potter, Harry this is Alexander Luthor," Hermione introduced.

"Friends call me Lex," Alexander said as he took Harry's hand, neither he or Hermione noticed Harry color began to pale and sweat beads forming on his brow. "I've repeatedly told you to call me that, Hermione," he said with a flirty smile.

"Alexander," Hermione said pointedly. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to postpone our date indefinitely." She said as Lex's expression went from cocky to confusion.

"I don't quite understand," He said trying to regain his composure as Harry's knees began to weaken, his eyes drawn to the faintly glowing, emerald ring on Alexander's finger.

"Harry and I, as you know, were close friends back at Hogwarts, and tonight we're going to get together and catch up." Hermione stated. "I know we've had this planned for a …while but who can say no to THE Harry Potter?"

"I see … perhaps we can reschedule …" Lex said but Hermione had already grabbed Harry's arm and was dragging him away. "Bye then…" he said seething as he glared at Harry's back.

"Sorry about using your name card there, Harry, he started out as a nice guy but after two dates I discovered he is truly in love with himself and probably the only person on this planet that could possibly be." Hermione said with a sheepish smile. "Are you ok?" She asked noticing his pale features.

"Yeah, think I've just been a little too active lately or something," Harry shrugged, "I'm feeling a bit better now though."

"You sure you're able for tonight?" Hermione asked with concern.

"Sure I'm sure," Harry smiled as they arrived back to her office, "I'll pick you up at six."

"Perfect, see you then," Hermione nodded as he continued toward the exit leaving her with her daughter.

"I like him, Mummy," Rose stated, surprising Hermione by her presence at her side. "He's fun and really nice."

"Yeah, sweetheart," Hermione said picking her up, "I like him too." She smiled kissing her nose.

---

"This is … nice …" Hermione said as she rode in the passenger seat of Harry's she guessed you could call it a car.

"As nice as you can get for seventy seven pounds," Harry smiled over at her. "And keep toward the center of the seat; we don't want rust getting on your nice dress."

"You remember you have enough money to buy your own limousine fleet, right?" Hermione asked with a high lifted eyebrow.

"Yeah, I know, but why waste the money when I have other means of transport?" Harry asked, "Besides. I like driving this old classic…" He said patting the steering wheel, which promptly fell off. "Crap…" Harry hissed as he pushed the wheel back into position.

"Oh dear …" Hermione blinked at quick repair job Harry performed. "I'm surprised they didn't just give this death trap to you…"

"The dealer tried when I said I wanted it," Harry shrugged. "But I don't like to just take giveaways."

They arrived at the French Restaurant Harry had made reservations for and Harry brought the car to a jumpy stop. "And here we are," Harry said climbing out be careful not to get his suit caught on any of the jagged rusty metal, or to get any rust stains on his person. "Wait right there, Hermione, I've got it." Harry said as he approached the passenger side.

"That's very gentlemanly of you," Hermione smiled at her friend as she carefully climbed out of the rusty deathtrap.

"Actually … the passenger side door won't open from the inside …" Harry said sheepishly as he handed the key to the frightened looking valet and lead the bushy-haired brunette into the restaurant.

"The car's ok where it's parked sir," the valet said with a shiver at the thought of driving the … thing.

Hermione smiled at Harry's side as the waiter led them to the table. But the smile faded when she saw two familiar faces at the four seated table. She started to turn to leave when Harry grabbed her arm. "Harry …"

"All I ever see of my earth parents are a few pictures Sirius and Lupin left me, and artificial ghosts of my natural parents," Harry whispered looking intensely into her eyes. "I'd give anything for the chance I'm giving you here."

The Doctors Granger glanced up as Harry led the trembling Hermione to the table.

"Hermione," her father said in a cold tone as he and her mother looked at her with mild interest.

Harry helped her sit down but remained standing for a moment. "OK, now that everyone's here, I'd like to say something up front." He said using a commanding tone. "Hermione is your daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Granger are your parents, Hermione. I did not set this up so you three can yell or fight. I set this up to rebuild bridges. My parents are dead. And I would give every pound I have inherited to have them back even for a treasured moment. Think about that before saying your first words." He said having a seat. "Also I must say their lamb is outstanding here."

They sat in silence looking at the menus for a moment before Mr. Granger spoke up. "Lois and Clark," he said pushing his glasses up upon his nose as he glanced to Harry.

"Pardon?" Harry asked the older man.

"You referred to us as Mr. and Mrs. Granger, I think it's only proper for you to refer to us by our first names after all you've done for our daughter." He explained, "I'm Clark and my wife's name is Lois," Clark said with a smile.

"Fair enough," Harry nodded before the waiter returned asked for their order. The group decided what they wanted to eat and the table yet again fell into silence.

"Mum … Dad …" Hermione finally spoke up gaining the attention of her parents and Harry. "About what I said years ago … About what I've done … I'm sorry …" she said tearing up, but smiled slightly when Harry reached over and took a hand. "I know I've disappointed you … and I'll definitely understand if you never want to see me again after tonight. I just want you to know that I'm so very sorry and that I do truly love you both dearly …" she finished releasing a deep breath.

Lois and Clark glanced at each other as Harry and Hermione looked to them hopefully. "Do you remember when you were a little girl before you left for Hogwarts, when we'd take you to Sunday School?" Hermione nodded and looked down at her lap shamefully. "Do you remember the story of the young man who went to his father wanting his part of his inheritance?" Hermione nodded again, and squeezed Harry's hand with enough force to crush anyone else's. "He went out into the world with his father's money, leaving his family behind. He probably did things that made your wild years look like you became a nun. But do you remember what his father did when he returned home, asking for forgiveness much like you are not?"

Hermione said nothing but looked up at her father's blue eyes with hopeful tears running down her cheeks. "He threw a banquet in his son's honor celebrating his return. So let's just say that tonight's dinner will be your banquet on me." Clark said as he and Lois smiled warmly at their daughter.

"Try not to cry, dear," Lois chuckled slightly, wiping her own eyes. "I doubt a celebrity like Harry would look well in public with a date with running mascara."

"What? But we're not dating," Harry and Hermione said in perfect unison. "We're just friends."

"Right and my husband isn't an old farm boy," Lois winked at her husband who flushed slightly.

The tension had lifted instantly from the table and conversation broke out as well as pictures of Rose for the little girl's grandparents.

"So, Harry," Lois spoke up during a break in conversation. "I heard from Hermione years ago that you're quite wealthy, are you going to work or do what we all would love to do and live off the vault your mum and dad left you?"

"After my world trip I actually considered just that," Harry said after a moment. "But then I talked to a friend of mine, Luna Lovegood, and I found her job really interesting. She helped me get on at the Quibbler actually. I start on a trial basis as a reporter Monday."

"A reporter?" Hermione asked her interests peaked.

"Yeah, you know I was always sticking my nose in other people's problems back at Hogwarts, and you always commented on my saving people complex," Harry shrugged, "This could put it to good use."

"Just don't become a male Rita Skeeter and I'll accept it fine," Hermione nodded with a pleasant smile.

The rest of the evening went on with Hermione and her parents getting to know one another again after their long absence as well as conversing with Harry. Finally came the time to depart, Hermione's parents left first as they had to be up earlier to be at their office in the morning. Hermione hugged them goodbye and promised to call them the following day.

"So you ready to head for home, Hermione?" Harry asked as he left the tip on the table.

"Harry, could you … you don't have to if you don't want to mind you, but …" Hermione looked away and bit her lower lip. "Could you possibly fly me home?"

"I thought you hated to fly, Hermione," Harry noted with a small smile as they exited the building.

"It's not really flying that scares me, it's falling and those small brooms don't have much anti-fall protection," Hermione noted as she walked beside him. "But with you … I know you won't let me fall."

Harry glanced to his car and as if reading his mind Hermione added. "You really think anyone's going to steal that thing?"

Harry smiled sheepishly as he pulled her into the dark alleyway beside the restaurant. "Hold these for me …" He said as he handed her his glasses.

She watched him as he unbuttoned his shirt, revealing the S-Shield on his chest and in a spin Superman was standing in her best friend's place. No, he was still her best friend, still Harry, just another side that he shared more openly with the world. "Ready, m'lady," Superman said holding out a hand with a gleam in his green eyes.

She took his hand and he pulled her to him. "Hold on tight," he whispered as they lifted off the ground.

"Like I'm letting you go again?" Hermione whispered as they rose high into the clouds.

Hermione sighed happily as Harry held her tight to his chest and carried them both through the moon-lit sky. She glanced up at his face, exposed without his thick glasses. She could tell by his expression of all the new gifts he gained, flight had to be his favorite.

'Can you read my mind?'She mused to herself as she studied his features. 'Do you know what it is that you do to me? I know who you are. You're still the only friend I know who can hang a star. Here I am, just like I'm back at school … watching out for a god. I'm a fool. Will you look at me? Quivering ... Like a little girl, shivering.' She thought, as a shiver from the night breeze cut through her dress. Harry without glancing reached around with his cape to wrap her in its warmth. 'You've always seen right through me. Can you read my mind? Can you picture the things I'm thinking of? Wondering why you are ... all the wonderful things you are. You can fly. You belong in the sky. And I ... we could belong to each other. If you need a friend ... I'm the one to fly to. If you need to be loved ... here I am. Read my mind.'

"Here we are …" Harry said bringing her from her thoughts.

"Huh?" Hermione asked as she looked up to see them descending toward her flat.

"Arrived safe and sound," Harry smiled down at her as he sat her safely on her rear patio.

"I guess having a strange visitor from the Planet Krypton for a best friend is handy," Hermione joked, still holding on to him with his cape wrapped securely around her shoulders. "Still can't believe Luna called you a strange visitor …"

"She did … I don't remember telling her which planet I'm from though …" Harry narrowed his eyes in thought.

"Harry … you gave me my parents back …" Hermione looked down at his chest, absently outlining his symbol with her finger tips.

"I just set the stage, you did all the work there," Harry smiled, before cupping her cheek in his hand. "One more thing, Hermione... What you said about you and Ron leaching off me? That was completely off base. If anyone was leaching on anyone, it was me leaching off you two. If it wasn't for you and Ron, I'd be dead many times over. I don't care what anyone tells you. I don't care what you might tell yourself. Every time I needed saving I just had to turn to you and Ron. Understand?"

Hermione tried to look away but Harry held her face firmly, yet gently. "I don't deserve you …" Hermione said trying to look away.

"Well you've got me, Hermione," Harry smiled at her. "I'm not planning on going anywhere else…" He drifted off when Hermione stood on her tiptoes and pressed her lips to the corner of his mouth.

"Did … you just kiss me?" Harry blinked as she eased back away from him.

"I believe that qualified as a kiss, yes," Hermione flushed slightly.

"That makes this a whole lot easier then," Harry replied with a faint color going to his cheeks, "Would you be willing to go out to eat with me again this weekend?"

"Harry Potter, are you asking me out on a date?" Hermione quirked an eyebrow at the man before her.

"Just to catch up some more, I was gone a while," Harry smiled.

"You didn't answer my question," Hermione teased as he started to hover upward into the air.

"I'll be giving you a call, Hermione," He waved as he lifted a fist into the air and began to soar.

"Goodnight, Harry," She waved, "Thanks for everything …"

A short distance away another pair of eyes watched closely from a rooftop. "Oh my dear Cousin …" she tisked as she tapped the heel of one of her knee high red boots with the toe of the other. "All those types of visions and still can't see what's directly in front of you …" she said brushing some dust from her form fitting blue top with the blue and bronze S-Shield symbol on her chest. "I'll have to see what I can do to help … as always." She said before taking to the air, her red and bronze trimmed cape flowing behind her.

To Be Continued …