Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Chance by moogle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Chance

moogle

Disclaimer: I did not create any of the Harry Potter characters or story, etc, etc.

Note: This fanfic was written for the Light vs Dark competition at Hogsmeade Station. To view the rest of the competition entries, please follow this link: http://hogsmeadegates.proboards75.com/index.cgi?board=battle&action=display&thread=1187936765

Here are the rules:

Light Side:

fanfiction:
theme: redemption
words: 1000-10,000
Line: None.
Character (does not have to be the main character): Dumbledore
Genre: open

A/N: I can admit now that I am not very good at one-shots. I always feel like I am trying to squeeze in too much, and considering this is only 10000 word maximum, I hope it isn't too awful.

Last Chance

Lightening slashed through the air to tear a deep gash through the thick blanket of darkness, giving an ominous sign to what things were to come. Death, with its chilling skull and serpent tongue, smiled upon a lonely tower, glittering sinisterly like a ghostly-green constellation to only add to the ill-omened night. None of these heavenly warnings seemed to bother the wizened wizard kneeling on the hard stone of the tower, however, for he had always known what the outcome of this fateful night would be...

There were many things the old man wished he had done differently, many things he wished he could change for the futures of those around him, but life had somehow slipped through his fingers and now he was only left with one option- one future he could change- one last chance to make things right… He had to save Draco Malfoy- the boy who stood before him now with his wand held shakily at his face- for if he didn't try to save this wayward child, than who would? That was the problem with heroes; they never thought to save the lost or the confused; they never tried to rescue the ones so trapped in their darkness that even they themselves believed there was no such thing as light. Heroes just saved the ones who wanted to be saved, not the ones who needed it… This old man, however, was not a hero, and he could perceive, as he stared into Draco Malfoy's frightened grey eyes, the trapped soul wanting to find its light again…

"Do you plan to kill me, Draco?" The old man asked gently, his electric blue eyes gazing intently at the pale, sickly boy trembling before him. He knew there was indecision in Draco's shaking hand, just as he could see the terror that seemed to cling in the cold sweat dripping down his face, but there was still that one crucial question that would be driving this shrouded, child's mind to act: kill or be killed...

"I've been waiting for this chance all year," Draco said in a somewhat strangled voice, as if internally struggling with what his mouth was speaking.

"You don't have to do this," The old man assured him, his voice taking on a persuasive tone- something well practised from all his years of manipulation. "I can help you find safety as well as your family. You want that don't you? To be safe?"

Draco shook his head fervently, a haunted expression coming into his grey eyes. "There are no options left for me now. I can't stop; I have to keep going! I have to kill you!"

"You may hold that wand at me, but you will never be able to utter the words." The old man replied softly. "You are not a killer, Draco, and you will not kill me now. "

"You don't know me at all," Draco retorted in a frustrated voice, tears clinging to his stormy eyes. "I can do it! I can kill you! I just haven't done it yet!"

"You haven't done it yet because you can't. You don't want to kill me, and you're only holding that wand now because you're afraid of what will happen if you don't. Don't let fear guide you, Draco; listen to your heart. Let me help you!" the old man entreated earnestly.

The wand quivered for a moment in Draco's hand, but suddenly men were swarming around the tower and the old man realised the clock had run out; death was waiting for him…

The old man stared up at Severus Snape's sallow face and uttered the last words he would ever speak again in life, knowing he had failed, but knowing that there was no time left to change it. "Severus…Please…"

Two words were spoken in the grim, silence of the night, and with a rushing of green light, death had come to claim her prize. Albus Dumbledore was dead, and yet only one thing remained in the boy's mind as he watched the empty space where the old man had been kneeling: Who will save me now?

OOO

Ginny stared at the unconscious man before her, gazing at the mess of torn robes and crimson blood. He was no more than a mutilated shadow of what a human should be. Pale flesh had been torn from his chest as if scraped away with sharp fingernails, hanging by mere threads to the bloodied ribs that stuck up in odd angles; his face and body were bruised heavily in dark purples and blacks, and she could see many of his bones had been cracked. So much was broken, so much was ruined, and yet life still remained in the feeble heart that continued to beat; breath continued to flow through the lungs that should have been crushed, and Ginny knew that is was by mere chance he was alive. Now it was up to her to heal the wounds, to repair the damage, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to…

"Please," Ron said softly. "You're our only hope; if you don't heal him now he'll die. He's the first Death Eater we've managed to catch in a long time, and he's in a weak enough state where he can't run. Please, won't you heal him?"

Ginny continued to gaze at the man lying on the bed, her mind for some strange reason forgetting how to speak to her. She felt lost, confused, as if nothing made sense anymore. He was the enemy, yet she was supposed to help him. He was the one that had got himself into this mess, yet she was the one who was supposed to get him out of it. She was no saint, and she was definitely no heroine, yet she was the one who was supposed to save him… She held his very life in her hands- hands that even at this moment were stained with his blood- but how could she rescue someone who so evidently did not deserve it?

It is for those very reasons he needs your help the most, a gentle voice whispered in her heart. Because he is your enemy, because it is his fault, and most of all, because he doesn't deserve it…

"Ginny?" Ron said questioningly.

"I'll do it," Ginny replied softly, her eyes locked on the man's bruised, broken face. "I'll heal him."

Ron let out a sigh of relief and gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "I can't stay here to help you, but you'll be okay, right?"

"Yes," Ginny said in a distant voice, her mind still swirling with thoughts about the battered man before her. "I'll be fine here with him."

"Alright then. I'll go report to Headquarters, and thank you, Ginny; this means a lot to us."

Ginny turned her face and watched her brother leave the room, knowing that there was a possibility he might never come back. She did not speak of such things, but everyone knew in this war that life was such a fragile thing; no one was invincible, and everyone secretly dreaded finding out who would be the next to fall…

Her gaze fell back on the wounded man, watching his laboured breathing. She knew who he was of course; she had recognised him as soon as he had been brought into her home. Draco Malfoy, son of her Father's nemesis and well-known Death Eater. She had never liked him, but now as she watched him struggling to stay alive, she couldn't help but wonder if perhaps there were people anxiously waiting for him to come back to them, just as she waited for her family to come back to her. It was stupid to think that just because they were on another side they did not love- that they did not feel pain when one of their own died. Their leader may be heartless, and they may have done terrible things, but they were people just like her. He was just like her, and as she stared at his broken and tortured body, she realised that her heart had been right; she had to heal him, not because he wanted her to, but because he needed it.

Ginny took a deep breath, preparing herself for the bloody task ahead. She reached over and stripped off his tattered clothes, revealing even more shredded flesh that had once been as perfect as marble. The pale, almost translucent tone still clung to his skin, though it was hard to tell because of the crimson that coated his body, and even now she could still recognise the white-blond hair he was known for. Sighing slightly, Ginny pulled out her wand and conjured a bowl of warm water, as well as a clean cloth, and immediately started to gently wipe away the blood from his face and body. More than once Ginny had to refill her bowl because of the blood, and always the thought ran her brain: What if he dies? What if I'm too late? There's just so much blood….

She pushed the bowl now swimming with blood to the side and picked up her wand again, gently prodding at his broken bones with her wand, muttering spell after spell as the bones mended and sunk back to their original place. He was beginning to look more like a man now, and feeling more encouraged, Ginny started mending the flesh that had been torn with careful precision. Finally she wrapped the bandages around his chest and pulled the blanket up to keep him warm.

"I guess now I just wait," Ginny muttered to herself, leaning back against the chair, her eyes gazing at his sleeping form. She wasn't sure what else the Order expected her to do. She had healed him but that didn't mean he would be of any use to them. He could have suffered severe mental damage, or he could have gone insane while under torture…

Sighing to herself, Ginny stood up off the chair and walked out of the room. She entered the room where Kingsley was sitting comfortably on one of the chairs and took a seat opposite him, her chestnut eyes searching his own deep brown ones.

"What happened to him?"

Kingsley frowned slightly and shook his head, a small sigh escaping from his lips. "You know that the muggles have decided to start a war against wizards?"

"Yes," Ginny answered softly, the gentle tone barely disguising the quiet anger she was feeling. Muggles- the helpless people they were supposed to be protecting- they were the ones who had done this foul brutality. It seemed Death Eaters were not the only ones who could be vicious…

"Well we caught up with some muggles and managed to find out that they had a wizard captured; Malfoy of course," he continued in a dispassionate voice. "He had already been wounded during the last battle and he'd lost his wand, so he was an easy target for some muggle soldiers looking for information on the war." Kingsley sighed again and rubbed his fingers tiredly against his eyes. "We found their hideout but the muggles had already abandoned it by the time we got there; he was the only one there, just left to rot in that tiny room he had been kept in…" his eyes met hers and Ginny could see the sadness he felt. "I don't know what they did to him, but no one deserves to be treated that way, not even him…"

"So you brought him to me…"

"Yes." Kingsley affirmed. "Ron and I both agreed that you would be the best person to heal him. The other healers are busy with other duties, but you're all the way out here where it's safe. Besides, out of all the healers, we knew you'd be the only one who wouldn't be afraid."

"Why, you think he might try hurt me?" Ginny asked in surprise. Of course she knew it was dangerous to heal the enemy, but he was too weak to be any trouble at all at the moment.

Kingsley shrugged. "I'm not sure. He is one of the few Death Eaters that has managed to elude our spies. We know practically nothing about what he does, or where he goes. It's ironic the muggles were the ones to finally catch up with him."

Ginny frowned to herself. Draco Malfoy had always been a sort of enigma to them. No one was really sure why he served Voldemort, and no one really ever had. In his sixth year he had tried to kill Dumbledore but he had failed. What had happened to him after that was still unclear, but he had continued his service in Voldemort's ranks as a Death Eater. Sometimes it had almost seemed like he was on their side, and yet others he was just as ruthless as the rest of the Death Eaters. Ginny didn't understand him, and it seemed neither did the Order…

"Are you going to take him to Headquarters once he is healed?" Ginny asked curiously. She knew they would want to interrogate him to find out all he knew, but it could be a long time before he was well enough to face them.

Kingsley smiled slightly. "We were hoping you could interrogate him actually. He'll trust you more since you are the one who has healed him, and we don't really have time with everything else we have to deal with."

"How do you know he'll even talk to me? He hates me…"

"You have a special way with your patients…" Kingsley said slowly, as if choosing his words carefully. "I'm sure he will open up to you more than he would our Order interrogators. Besides, the Death Eaters have found a way to stop veritaserum from working, so you can bet that he has gone through that process too. We have to get the information the old fashioned way now I'm afraid, which is why we're counting on you to find out all he knows."

"You're asking a lot of me." Ginny said in a small voice, feeling just a little overwhelmed. She may be a healer, but getting the enemy to confess their plans was not something she was used to doing.

"Perhaps you are simply underestimating yourself?" Kingsley replied kindly as he stood up.

"You're leaving already?" Ginny exclaimed anxiously, not really wanting to be left with Draco Malfoy after learning what she was expected to do.

"You're a strong woman, Ginevra," Kingsley stated in a firm voice. "We all know you can do this."

Ginny watched helplessly as Kingsley picked up his belongings, giving her a quick wave before he disapparated with a small pop. She could only stare at the empty space where he had been, knowing that now she was alone with the enemy.

Sighing to herself, Ginny stood up of the couch and walked back into the room where Draco was sleeping. She sat down on the chair by the bed and stared at his pale, sickly face. She saw his fingers twitch slightly and his eyes moving in a sort of anxious frenzy behind his eyelids. He was conscious, but it was clear that he was unable to move and so it was making him panic.

"Draco," Ginny whispered quietly, his name rolling easily off her tongue in her desire to comfort him. "You're safe… Do you hear me? You're safe." She repeated softly, instinctively moving his hair away from his eyes. She wasn't really sure why she felt so compelled to assure him he was okay, but the words seem to be slipping from her lips without her even realising. "You don't have to worry anymore," She continued gently, her hand now softly caressing his cheek- a habit she had picked up from her mother. "There's no one here to hurt you…."

Draco's body relaxed, his breathing becoming steadier as he took comfort in her words. She understood why he was panicking. He was stuck in a sort of coma, neither able to move nor talk, but fully aware of what was happening around him. To wake up like that after facing several weeks torture would not have been very reassuring, and so it was expected that he should have panicked. It was strange, however that she of all people should be the one to comfort him…. she had never helped an enemy before…

"Just sleep." Ginny commanded soothingly. "I'm here to watch over you..."

OOOO

Draco opened his eyes slowly, the blurred mess before him finally starting to form into a recognisable image. His body felt dead, but at least he could move his eyes, which he was now doing as he stared about the small room he was in. It was nothing fancy, holding no more than a small cabinet, a wooden chair, and the bed that he was lying in. Something was missing though, and it was then that he remembered the woman who had often spoken to him in his dreams.

In his mind he had pictured her sitting on that very chair which he could now see by the bed, her hand gently caressing his face as she whispered comforting words. Her voice had been like the soft melody of a lullaby, calming his worried mind and expelling his fears, allowing him to find the peace he had been so desperately seeking. He hoped that he would be able to meet her, and almost as if the gods had heard his wish, the door suddenly opened to reveal a young woman who looked no older than twenty-one.

"You're awake," the woman exclaimed in relief, as she entered the room and shut the door behind her. He instantly recognised her voice as the one he had heard in his dreams and could only gaze curiously at her friendly face, finally seeing who had been the angel at his side.

Her face was lightly dusted with freckles, and though she was quite petite, she didn't look like the kind of woman who would just sit back and let everyone else do the work. She seemed so familiar with her long tomato-red hair and large chestnut eyes, and though there was nothing extraordinarily beautiful about her, the warm aura that seemed to surround her very being made him somewhat attracted to her.

As his eyes once more settled on her face, he realised who his saviour had been. This woman was none other than Ginny Weasley, but why would she be helping him?

"Can you move?" Ginny asked, taking her usual seat in front of him. Draco tried to open his mouth to speak but no sound would come out. He attempted to shake his head and with relief felt the stiff muscles in his neck move in protest as his head slowly, and painfully, moved from side to side.

"I take that as a no," she said with a worried frown. "Well, no matter; just give it a few more days and everything should be working normally again. You're lucky no lasting damage was made, you know?"

Draco could only stare at her, not having anyway to communicate anyway. He knew very well that he was lucky no lasting damage was made; he was lucky to even be alive, but in a way he almost wished he wasn't.

He had yearned so many times to just end the pitiful excuse for a life he had, but every time he tried something would stop him. He wasn't sure if it was fear, or maybe it was the small hope that maybe something would change. He knew how naïve it was to think like that, but he couldn't bear the thought of having to always live like this. Being a servant to a deranged man was not the honour he had thought it would be, and seeing the death and unhappiness he caused to the innocent people around him was breaking him apart little by little. He was not a killer…Dumbledore had been right… but he was so trapped in this haunting life he had chosen that he had no idea how to stop it. He continued to kill; he continued to hurt, and in the end he knew that it would destroy him, completing the endless torment he had chosen for himself.

"I'm going to take of your bandages now and apply some bruise salve," Ginny stated, breaking him from his morbid thoughts as she summoned a reel of clean cloth towards her. "Just blink twice if it hurts too much."

Draco watched helplessly as she pulled the blankets down to his waist, tenderly lifting him into a sitting position, and slowly started taking off the bandages from around his chest. He gazed at her, seeing the deep look of concentration on her face as her fingers gently slid underneath the cloth, brushing against his skin as she removed the material that had been keeping his wounds mended.

It was strange having someone who he had despised with every fibre of his being heal him, and he wondered if she found it just as strange. He was sure that she did not like him- he was a Death Eater after all- but then he had to ask himself again why was she helping him? He certainly would not have done the same for her….

She continued her gentle unwinding of the bandage until finally only his bare chest horribly bruised with purples and blacks was revealed. She raised her eyes to look at him, her face so close he could almost count the freckles on her nose, and gave him the briefest of smiles. He was surprised by the warmth in her expression and found himself feeling suddenly very awkward, even more so because she was so close to him...

"It looks good." Ginny said reassuringly, not noticing his discomfort. "You've healed better than I thought you would."

As Draco could not say or do anything, he merely continued to watch her as she summoned a small pot of cream towards her. He watched her unscrew the lid and dip her fingers into the white mixture before tenderly applying it to the bruises on his chest. He took in a deep breath, surprised by the coldness of the cream and also the foreign feeling of her touch. Her chestnut eyes flicked to his, a slight frown on her face.

"Is something wrong?" She asked in concern. "Does it hurt?"

Draco wanted to yell with frustration at not being able to talk to her, but instead he contented himself with shaking his head, however painful it cost him to do it. She continued to stare at him in concern, as if sensing his frustration, but then deciding there was nothing she could do, continued to apply the cream.

He watched his skin gradually fading back to the normal pale tone he was used to seeing as her fingers lightly worked the salve into his chest, and slowly but surely the pain started to fade. Once she was finished with his chest, she moved around behind him and began applying the salve to his back, using the same gentle motion with her fingers.

Slowly he closed his eyes, wondering how it was that this woman could have such a powerful effect over him. He guessed it had just been so long since someone had cared for him in this way, but he was still puzzled on why she was doing this in the first place. He had killed people she loved, hurt her family in every possible way- hell he had even tried to kill her once- so why was she helping him? Even if she wanted to heal him for her Order, she didn't have to be so damn gentle about it. She didn't have to make him feel like she actually cared about him…

He felt her hands stop moving against his back and watched as she walked back in front of him. Her eyes met his and he was surprised to see a faint tinge of pink blossoming on her cheeks.

"I, erm, I have to heal the bruises on your legs too," she said awkwardly, "But I…" She trailed off, her blush becoming more pronounced. She seemed to decide not to bother explaining anymore and pulled up the blanket from his feet so that it came just above his knees. Draco understood her embarrassment then; he was naked, which he thought should be more embarrassing for him considering he was the one not wearing clothes.

"I'm sorry," Ginny mumbled in a mortified voice, her face still flushing with embarrassment as she started applying the salve to the bruises on his legs. Draco would have almost found the whole situation rather amusing if he wasn't in such an awkward position himself, and more than once he found himself stiffening when her hands moved perhaps too close for comfort under the blanket. Still, as he was unable to do anything or protest in anyway, he simply had to submit to her hands as they did their job.

When she was satisfied with his legs, Ginny pulled the blankets back to cover him and pulled the stool up nearer to him. He could still see the faint blush on her cheeks, but she seemed to have gathered more control over herself now. He watched as once more her fingers delved into the pot of bruise salve before she was applying the cool cream to the bruises on his face.

He stared at her the whole time, but she seemed reluctant to meet his gaze now, merely keeping her eyes focussed on the bruised skin where her fingers were working in the healing salve. She was so close, her hands so tenderly touching him, and he had to keep reminding himself that she was just healing him. The woman who had comforted him when he had been trapped in the coma was only doing her job; there was no emotion behind those soft caresses and gentle words…

It wasn't that he loved her, it was more that he had been so close to giving up on life, so close to finally allowing death to claim him, but her voice had stopped him. She had been his redeeming angel, but now he realised she was more a tormentor of what he could never have, for once this was over he would be sent back to the pack of wolves waiting to tear him to shreds. Redemption was not for him…

Her fingers stopped moving, though they still rested against his cheek, as her eyes finally lifted to meet his steady gaze. He could see the confusion in her eyes and knew his own wore the same expression. He certainly felt perplexed with these foreign feelings she was installing in him, for she was like a contradiction to him: her touch so painful yet loving, her face both beautiful and ugly, her words both comforting and disconcerting… He didn't understand her, and he didn't like the way she was making him feel; it was like falling: a sickening rush of exhilaration and fear that he had no control over…

She suddenly blinked, as if waking from a dream and allowed her hand to fall back to her lap. "I'll get the potion I made for you," she said in a distant voice as she stood up. "It will allow you to move and speak again, though as I said before it might take a few more days before everything is back to normal…"

Draco watched her leave the room and come back with a cup of blue liquid. She took a seat next to him on the bed, gently tilting his face back as she started to pour the potion down his throat. It burned his mouth and tasted disgusting, but he still swallowed every last drop. He felt the dead feeling in his body lessen slightly but he was still unable to move properly.

Ginny gently lowered his body back onto the bed, giving him a small smile as she stood up, making his mind once more struggle with the strange feelings she was giving him. "I'll be back to check on you later," she continued. "You should get some more rest; it will help the potion kick in faster."

With those words she had left the room, leaving him alone to decipher the confusion that had taken over his mind. What was it about her that made him feel trapped and free at the same time? What was it about her touch that drove his blood wild with emotion, or her voice that seemed to envelope him in a warm embrace? What was so special about Ginny Weasley…

OOOO

Ginny walked hurriedly into the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind her and locking it. She gazed up into the mirror, her heart racing ten times its normal speed, seeing her flushed face reflected back at her. She fumbled with the tap, letting the icy water rush into the sink, before dipping her hands in and splashing it against her face.

Taking deep breaths, Ginny felt her heart returning to normal as she regained control over her body. It had been so easy to care for him when he was in a coma, but now that he was awake she felt all the feelings that came with it. She had been well aware of his eyes burning into her skin while she had applied the bruise salve, and just touching him, knowing that he was awake and could feel everything she was doing, made some deep passion inside her awaken. His grey eyes alone seemed to make her blood quicken, and even now as she stood leaning over the sink, the icy water dripping off her face, she could still remember the intensity of those mercury-like eyes as they watched her every move.

She closed her eyes, almost laughing to herself at how silly she was getting over one man. She was supposed to be healing him, yet somehow the simple act of healing had become an erotic fantasy. Touching him had been like caressing the forbidden fruit, for knew she was not supposed to have such feelings for someone like him…

"What am I doing?" Ginny muttered to herself, placing her head in her hands. "I've only spent four days with him and already I've lost it. I'm supposed to be healing him and getting information out of him, not trying to take advantage of him…"

She sighed and pushed herself away from the bench, opening the door to head back to her own room. She passed by the open door and peeped through, seeing him lying on his back just as she had left him, his eyes now shut peacefully as sleep had claimed him once more.

"I must be insane." Ginny muttered before going into her own room.

OOOO

The days seemed to fly for Draco as he gradually regained control over his body. He could now move just as he could before he was attacked, and even his voice had come back. It was a relief to be able to do what he wanted now, though Ginny had stopped spending so much time around him. Every time she did talk to him, or give him another potion, he could sense the discomfort he caused her. He wasn't too worried about her not being there all the time though, for he was struggling with his own awkward feelings when she was near.

Draco pulled on a clean robe and walked out of the door to the kitchen, smiling slightly as he smelt the delicious food Ginny had cooked for them. That was one thing he knew he would miss; her cooking was excellent…

He picked up his plate and was about to leave again when he felt a hand touch his arm. He looked down into Ginny's face, his eyes meeting hers, slightly surprised by the beseeching expression he could see in those warm chestnut eyes.

"Will you not eat with me today?" Ginny asked, tilting her face to look up at him better. He was startled by her question but nodded his head all the same. Normally she would go eat in her room, or he would go eat in his, but rarely had they eaten together.

Ginny let go of his arm and took her seat at the table, Draco doing the same. He watched her eat her food quietly for a moment before starting to eat as well. His eyes kept flicking to her face, occasionally catching her eye as she did the same. He smiled slightly after the tenth time this had happened, placing his fork down next to his bacon and eggs.

"Is there something you want to ask me, Ginevra?"

Ginny dropped her fork with a clatter, her eyes instinctively lifting to his with a nervous expression. "I…um…well…."

"Yes?" Draco encouraged.

"I-it's nothing." She said quickly and once more picked up her fork.

Draco frowned slightly as he watched her eat, knowing that she was lying. There was something she was not telling him…

"Don't lie to me," Draco said softly. " I know when something is bothering you, and I can tell that something is bothering you now. Spit it out Ginevra because I'm not going to be here forever now that I'm healed."

She sighed at his words and placed her fork back down, suddenly looking very drained. "Well that's it, isn't it?" She said a little hollowly. "You're healed now; you no longer need my help…"

"So what's the problem?" Draco asked curiously, wondering what she would say.

"The problem is that I didn't get any information from you." Ginny admitted, placing her head in her hands. "I was supposed to get you to tell me what Voldemort's plans are, but I didn't…" she pulled her hands away and looked at him with an odd expression, it was almost like guilt... "I've had you in my home for nearly a week and a half and not once did I question you. People are dying out there, my friends are dying out there, and you have the information that could save them," she choked slightly as tears started to slip from her eyes, her face screwing up with frustration at herself. "I couldn't bring myself to do it; I couldn't bring myself to get that information, and you want to know why?"

"Why?" Draco asked, feeling strangely eager to hear what she would say, yet also wishing that she wouldn't say anything.

"Because I know that once I get that information you'll have to go," Ginny confessed softly, her tear-filled eyes locked on his. "And I don't want you to go…."

"Ginevra I…" Draco trailed off not really sure what to say. This was what he had been yearning to hear, for he could not deny that he did not feel the same way. He had known that eventually he would have to leave her home now that he was healed, but strangely he had found himself not wanting to leave. He didn't like to think what his life would be like without her there with him; he could just picture the dead, dark world he would live in without her there to light his life. The problem was that he was her enemy, and enemies were not supposed to care for each other…

"I'm your enemy," Draco said helplessly, wishing that he could take back his words, but knowing that she needed to be reminded before they both did something they would regret. "No matter what you feel for me, you can't change who I am…"

"That's why I'm afraid," Ginny said softly. "Because I'm not supposed to love someone like you..."

Draco's jaw dropped but before he could say anything Ginny had mumbled a quick apology and had all but ran from the room, leaving him alone at the table in a complete state of shock. She loved him, and as he stared at the empty seat where she had sat only seconds before, he realised that he felt the same…

OOOO

"I'm so stupid!" Ginny whispered furiously as she found herself once more in the bathroom. She had just told Draco Malfoy that she loved him and he had as good as told her that she was insane for feeling that way. He was right, he was damn right in thinking that, for she could only be insane to love someone like him.

"Why? Why do I love him?" Ginny asked her reflection. There was absolutely nothing to make her want to be near him, yet even standing next to him gave her chills. His eyes, his body, his face, his voice- everything about him made her feel like she was losing herself to him. It was like she was drowning in his very essence; completely swallowed up by the emotions he made her feel. She couldn't figure out why it was this way, but perhaps that was just how love worked. You didn't know why you loved that person- you just did, and as crazy, and as painful as this love was, she couldn't bear to lose it.

Ginny sighed and started stripping off her clothes, hoping that maybe a shower would calm her down. She wasn't sure how she could face him again but she did know that she was going to completely lose her head if she didn't try to gain control of her feelings.

As she stepped under the hot water letting it run down her naked body, her thoughts automatically drifted back to Draco, wondering what it would feel like if his hands did the same. She cursed herself mentally for once more thinking such thoughts and desperately tried to force herself to think about other things, but Draco refused to leave her mind.

Furiously she turned off the shower, wrapping the towel around her dripping wet body and left the room. She quickly made her way to her own room and shut the door, feeling her body still flaming with heat after the thoughts her fantasies had given her.

She dried herself quickly and was about to get dressed when she heard the door open. She could practically feel those grey eyes burning into her bare skin, but she did not turn to look, instead just contented herself with staring at the wall completely aware of how naked she was. She didn't know how long she stood like that with her back turned to him as he just watched her, but then in an agonisingly slow movement his footsteps were coming closer to her. She felt her heart flutter as he placed his hands on her bare shoulders, and could feel his warm breath against her neck as he stood behind her. Gently he turned her around so that she was staring into his chest, her heart thudding furiously in her own as her body flared up at being so close to him. She lifted her eyes up to his face, seeing the grey in his eyes darkening with an emotion she had not seen before, and felt her breath quicken.

"Draco I-"

"Shhh," Draco ordered softly and lowered his face to claim her lips with his own. Her eyes widened with shock, she soon filled with heady passion as she surrendered to his kiss, relishing in the feel of his lips against hers. His hands slid from her shoulders down to her back, pulling her closer towards him until she was pressed up against him, her own hands fastening around his neck. The kiss was so intense that Ginny felt her legs giving way underneath her, but his arms kept her firmly upright as he held her in an almost crushing embrace.

Draco pulled himself away first, his eyes burning with the same intensity she had seen before, and she knew she would not look much different. They were both breathing heavily but Ginny didn't want it to end there, and it seemed he did not either. Without a word he took her hand and guided her towards the bed, pushing her softly down against the blankets. Ginny watched with a sort of nervous fascination as he slowly moved on top her, his hands easily unfastening his robe to reveal the smooth, pale skin of his chest that she had healed herself. Their eyes met and Ginny could see the questioning expression in his eyes, asking her if this was what she wanted. In reply, Ginny let her hands slide down his chest to his pants and unfastened them. Slowly she pulled them off and gave him a shy smile, her cheeks once more going pink.

Draco laughed softly and leaned down towards her so that their faces were inches apart, "You're adorable when you blush, you know that?" He whispered, a warm smile on his lips. Ginny blushed even more and tried to look away, but he caught her chin in his hand, gently turning her face back to him. She was surprised to see the serious expression on his face and looked at him questioningly.

"I may be your enemy, Ginevra," he whispered seriously. "But I love you, okay?"

Ginny smiled tearfully and nodded her head, relieved that she was not the only one who had felt that way. Shakily she leaned up and kissed him on the lips, her hands wrapping around his back instinctively as they became one with each other her in their love…

OOO

Ginny lay next to Draco on the bed, her eyes slowly opening and closing from drowsiness. She rolled over and cuddled up against him, smiling slightly as he casually threw an arm around her. She was glad that she could be close to him before the world tore them apart. Draco had been right of course, enemies could not love each other, but they did, and so she would treasure what moments they had left with each other…

"Ginny," Draco said softly.

"Mm?" Ginny mumbled sleepily.

"The last horcrux is at Hogwarts. That's where the Dark Lord will attack next to insure Potter doesn't get to it."

"Wait, what?" Ginny asked, sitting up to look at him better.

Draco smiled slightly and pushed the hair out of her eyes. "That was the information you needed wasn't it?"

Ginny stared at him completely shocked. She didn't know what to think of it. Why had he betrayed his master? What did this mean?

"Draco, why are you telling me this?"

"Because you needed it," Draco said softly, cupping her face with his hand, his grey eyes boring into her own. "Because I'm tired of being the cause of death to innocent people, and," he brought his other hand up to hold her face and gave her a small smile. "Because I don't want to be your enemy…"

Ginny felt her lips trembling slightly, tears gathering at her eyes, but all she could do was stare at his face and listen to him speak the words she had hoped she would hear him say with all her heart…

"I love you," he declared firmly, tears forming at his eyes, just like the tears now slipping down her face. "I love you, and I don't want to ever go back to the world I used to live in before I met you again. You haven't just healed me, Ginny; you've truly saved me…"

"Oh Draco," Ginny exclaimed throwing her arms around him and holding him tight against her. "Thank you…"

Draco laughed slightly and wrapped his arms around her, his hands gently stroking her hair. "I'm the one who should be thanking you…"

Ginny smiled into his chest, but then lifted her tear-splotched face to his, a slight frown on her lips. "You'll never leave me, right?"

Draco leaned forward and kissed her softly on the forehead, "Never," he whispered, meeting her eyes with his own grey ones.

Ginny nodded her head and leaned back against him, unable to stop the overflowing joy rising inside her. It had pained her to think that she might have to say goodbye to him- that one day she would be in battle and see his grey eyes behind the mask of death. Now, however, she could finally be at peace…

OOO

Seven Years Later…

Draco smiled at his daughter running happily towards him in the cheery garden, the soft light of the sun catching on her red hair to make it look like dancing flames streaming out behind her as she ran. Her big grey-brown eyes met his as she gave a warm smile at him, the same warm smile he saw many times on his wife.

"Daddy, will you help me learn some spells later?" she asked with eager enthusiasm.

Draco chuckled to himself, slightly surprised that their daughter was about as ambitious with spell learning as Ginny's friend Hermione Potter. He didn't know where she got that from, but it was amusing all the same.

"Of course I will Lyra," he said fondly, leaning forward to ruffle her hair. He looked up and saw Ginny watching him with a small smile on her lips. He smiled back at her before Lyra claimed her attention, excitedly telling Ginny that Draco was going to help her learn spells later.

Draco smiled as he watched his daughter and his wife talking and felt not the for the first time how glad he was that he had been given another chance all those years ago. Dumbledore had tried to help him when he was sixteen, and perhaps if Draco had not been so stubborn and afraid he might have fallen in love with Ginny earlier. Fate had thankfully given him another chance through Ginny and he had accepted it gladly. Now, seven years later he was married to the woman he loved, had a beautiful daughter, and couldn't have asked for more. Life was good, and it was all because he had taken that last chance. It seemed redemption was indeed for him, and he couldn't have been more grateful….

The End