Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Guardian 2 by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Guardian 2

MisCard


~A/N> Hello again! I'm back with the sequel to The Guardian, and I want to say a big thank you to those of you who expressed your views on the story (without yelling or swearing at me). I am grateful that most of you understood why I ended it the way that I did, and I hope that this story was worth your patience. Sorcha is back to torture Hermione once again, and in this story I've introduced another original character that I just love. I hope you love him, too. Thanks to Lisa for her support and encouragement, and to all of you, happy reading! :)

Hermione couldn't remember ever feeling quite so numb before.

Whether it was from the emotional stress of the past days, or the rhythmic rumbling of the train in which she rode that caused that feeling, she really couldn't say. All she knew for sure was that she was emotionally and physically tired, and just wanted to rest for a bit. Sliding over on the seat while quickly looking around the compartment she shared with Sorcha, Hermione moved so that she was now sitting up against the window, slightly decreasing the sway of her body as it moved in time with the huge locomotive.

Looking out at the rapidly darkening sky, an unwanted picture of how Harry had looked before she had left Hogwarts came to mind and she sighed. She had wanted so badly to run to him, to ask him to come with her, but she knew deep down that it was not allowed. This was special training for her, and her alone. Guests would not be welcome.

'Gods, what have I done?' she asked herself silently, and when the reply came she closed her eyes at the physical pain that it caused. 'I could have possibly just lost the only person left in the world that cares about me.'

Keeping her eyes closed, praying that it kept the tears that were now burning her eyes at bay, she tried to not dwell on that terrible thought and after a bit of time the swaying and rumble of the train lulled her into a light, fitful sleep.


The itsy-bitsy Guardian
went down to hell one day.
Out popped the Shadock and
scared the Guardian away.

You will not escape me
I'll hunt you down one day.
And the itsy-bitsy Guardian
will die and finally pay.

(sung to the tune of itsy-bitsy spider)



"No!" Hermione yelled, snapping out of sleep quickly while sitting straight up in her seat, banging her head against the window in the process.

As she rubbed the sore spot on her head and tried to get the image of Damien singing that damn, taunting song in her nightmare as Harry's lifeless body lay at his feet staring unseeingly at her. Sorcha cast her a worried look and asked, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Hermione answered testily. Taking a deep, calming breath she repeated, "I'm just fine."

"If you say so," Sorcha replied shortly. "We're going to be arriving soon, so you'd best stay awake from here on out."

Nodding her understanding, Hermione sat back on the hard train seat and prayed that she would be able to find some kind of peace at the new training location. It had been so long since she'd had the chance to just have some time by herself, and she longed to take a long, hot bath and then collapse into a big, comfortable bed where she could actually sleep an entire night through without awaking to the horrendous nightmares she'd been having. Realizing that Sorcha was none-too-nicely trying to tell her that they had arrived and to get her arse off the train, Hermione gathered up her meager belongings and disembarked the train. The moment she stepped onto the platform she was blasted with a gust of freezing cold wind that took her breath, and decided it would be best not to catch a cold. Buttoning up her jacket, she didn't realize that Sorcha was standing next to her, or that a very tall, dark haired man was now approaching them.

"Sorcha?" the man asked, his voice a quiet baritone that was almost soothing to the ears.

Turning around quickly, Sorcha's gaze fell upon the man and she quietly asked, "Jakob?"

"Who else would come out in below freezing weather to pick you up?" he asked, smiling at them both, but Hermione noticed that his gaze had lingered on Sorcha.

Sorcha was quickly back to her normal form as she said, "Right then. Let's just get out of this Godforsaken cold, shall we?"

There was a sudden rush of hurt that overpowered Hermione, and she sucked in a deep breath, immediately regretting it. Coughing as the cold air burned her lungs, she wiped at her watery eyes and gladly followed the other two adults, noticing that they kept stealing subtle glances at the other. Wondering what that was all about, she was relieved when she realized they had come upon the car they would be riding in. Gratefully getting into the back seat, she hunkered down into her insufficient clothes, trying to warm herself up a bit.

As they slowly made their way to their destination, Jakob and Sorcha commented about mundane things, but she could feel that they had feelings for one another. When she tried to probe just a bit deeper, she found that she was unable to as fatigue suddenly washed over her. Telling herself she'd find more out about them later, Hermione sighed tiredly and tilted her head back so that it was resting on the top of the seat. Closing her eyes, she fought to stay awake for the remainder of the ride, afraid of the night terrors that awaited her in her sleep.

When she opened her eyes some time later, she noticed that they were approaching a huge black iron gate that opened as they drove up to it. Going down a long, winding driveway, Hermione gasped as Jakob stopped the car in front of a huge manse. In the looming darkness, she couldn't see all of the house but was staring at the part she could see. Getting out of the car, the three of them walked up a short walkway and then approached two staircases located to the left and right of them. As Jakob chose the right set of stairs, she and Sorcha followed closely behind, the darkness around them seeming a bit daunting.

As they walked through the front door, Hermione gasped. The entry hall was bigger than the bedroom she grew up sleeping in, and above them hung a gorgious crystal chandelier that seemed to sparkle as it eminated just enough light to let them see every detail around them. Walking along the hardwood floors, Jakob and Sorcha made their way into the drawing room, which made the entry hall look like a bum's shack compared to it. With three white leather couches arranged comfortably around the huge fireplace, a piano in one corner and another spectacular chandelier above them, Hermione carefully made her way around the priceless vases that sat atop various tables here and there. Sinking down comfortably into one of the sofas closest to the fireplace, she sighed as she seemed to sink into the cushy soft leather and felt herself relax for possibly the first time that day.

"Welcome to Empyrean," Jakob said, sitting down next to her.

"Empyrean?" she asked.

"It's my family home," Sorcha replied, sitting in the sofa opposite to them. "I grew up here, and when my father passed away three years ago, it was left to me. Jakob was gracious enough to live here and take care of it for me while I went about my...business."

Surprised by Sorcha's admission, Hermione looked at her and said, "You have a beautiful home."

"It's okay," Sorcha replied quietly. "And it's well protected by old Guardian magic and traditional magical wards, so we should be safe here while we train."

Trying not to dwell on the hint of doubt she heard in her trainer's voice, Hermione asked to be shown to her room, feeling suddenly exhausted. As she followed Sorcha up three long flights of stairs, Hermione was glad when she stopped in front of a closed door and stated, "This will be your room for the duration of our stay."

"Thank you," she replied, opening the door. As she was given some privacy for the first time that day, Hermione explored the room that would be her home for an unspecified amount of time. Thinking that she could have been staying in much worse conditions, she took two steps inside and closed the door silently behind her. Taking in her surroundings, she realized that this was not just a simple bedroom, but a suite. The bed had a very high headboard and thick mattress, covered in what looked to be a down filled comforter. There were two very large windows in the room, each with a window seat, overlooking the grounds. Her favorite part of the entire room though had to be the crackling fireplace that had a sofa placed in front of it. Already imagining cold nights sitting on the sofa, reading while warmed by a roaring fire, she smiled to herself and made her way toward the bed, intent on getting a good nights sleep.

~*~

Three months later...

Empyrean had not turned out to be the relaxing refuge she thought it would be.

Starting the day after they had arrived, Sorcha woke her every morning at seven sharp. She had just enough time to shower, dress, and go down to the kitchen for breakfast, which Jakob prepared for them. Then at eight, her training regimen started. Two hours of strength training with light weights, two hours of magical tutelage, three hours of Guardian training, one hour of rest and then dinner, book instruction by Jakob on the history of magic, book instruction by Sorcha on Guardian magic, and finally three more hours of training. Usually the last training session of the day was used to go over everything she'd learned throughout the day, but sometimes Sorcha threw a surprise her way and she was challenged with yet another new magical or Guardian spell she was expected to master.

Hermione was exhausted, and missed Harry dearly. She wrote when she could, but considering that her training was seven days a week, every week, she was only able to send four letters in three months. She just hoped that when they were able to see each other again in person and she explained, he would understand why.

"Happy Birthday," Jakob said, walking into her room after knocking, balancing a tray laden with food.

Sitting up in her bed, Hermione propped the pillows behind her back and smiled affectionately at him. In the time she'd been here with Sorcha she'd come to respect him for his kindness, caring, and unwavering support. At times, when Sorcha was pushing her almost over the edge of sanity, Jakob seemed to almost sense that she could take no more and would rescue her. It usually infuriated Sorcha, but Hermione thanked him profusely.

As he set the tray across her lap, he sat carefully next to her on the edge of the bed and said, "I told Sorcha in no uncertain terms were you to train today. Birthdays are special and should always be celebrated."

She graced him with a huge smile and said, "I appreciate that. I haven't had a day off in three months and I feel as if I might go mad."

"Well, no madness today. Only fun."

When her stomach suddenly growled, interrupting them, she laughed and grabbed a piece of toast off of the tray. "Care to join me?"

"Thought you'd never ask," Jakob replied. "I don't think it would be wise to be anywhere near Sorcha right now."

Laughing along with him, Hermione felt her spirits soar for the first time in a long while and she found herself actually looking forward to the day.

~*~

After sharing breakfast with Jakob, Hermione treated herself to a long, hot bath, her body finally relaxing as the aches in her muscles faded away. Sighing contentedly as she sunk just a little deeper into the water, she closed her eyes and enjoyed the fact that her mind wasn't racing with facts and spells. She was able to think about everything that had been happening, and then Harry came to mind.

"Gods, I miss you," she mumbled to herself as her chest tightened. Thinking that the only present she wanted that day was to see Harry, she swiped at the lone tear that slipped down her cheek, swearing to herself that one way or another she would enjoy her day.

After soaking for almost an hour, she grudgingly left her bath and wrapped herself in the fluffiest towel she could find. Humming to herself as she crossed from her bathroom into her bedroom, she went to the closet to pick her outfit for the day. Before she could dress a knock sounded on her door, and making sure the towel was tight around her she went to see who it was, afraid that she would be confronted by Sorcha. But when she opened the door she gasped as she saw who it was on the other side.

"Harry?"