Unofficial Portkey Archive

Christmas Cupid by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Christmas Cupid

spacegal

Chapter 2: Surprises and Arguments

Harry and Hermione found themselves sitting in front of the roaring fire, drinking hot chocolate that the house elves had made for them. The sky had darkened outside as the snow started to fall heavily; so Harry and Hermione snuggle up together on the couch.

"I miss this," Hermione murmured from her spot from where she was sitting with her head on Harry's shoulder. Harry smiled down at her.

"I know what you mean," Harry told her as he turned back to face the fire. "the peacefulness and the relaxation."

"The hot chocolate, the fire and the snow - it makes it feel like it's really Christmas," Hermione finished and both of them shared a sweet smile.

"So, who do you think is sending me the clues?" Harry asked. Hermione shook her head as she thought about it.

"Well, it could be Gryffindor, but then again, they all have friends in other houses so the Gryffindor could have given the passwords to their friends and their friends could have snuck into your room without anyone realising it or the Gryffindor are helping the person," Hermione told him, thoughtfully.

"Or it's someone who is trying to drive me insane, like…Snape or Malfoy!" Harry exclaimed, still trying to convince Hermione of his original theory that someone was trying to drive him insane.

Hermione couldn't help the giggles that floated out between her lips. He was like a five year old, determined to make people think his way.

"Harry…" Hermione started only for a small twinkle sound to fill the room, startling the occupants and a small flash of light burst out from the ceiling, causing them to look up.

A small letter fluttered down toward the couple from the ceiling, being followed by cherry blossom leaves, much to Hermione's delight.

"Oh, more clues!" Hermione exclaimed; she frowned when she saw the riddle.

"You are getting closer to your destiny. Keep your eyes open and leap with faith," the paper said, Hermione looked at Harry with a confused look on her face.

"You're right, it is confusing," Hermione told him and got a snort of agreement in return.

"Tell me about it - keep my eyes open and leap with faith?" Harry asked. "Who the hell thinks up these things?"

"Someone who spends too much time thinking up riddles," Hermione replied as she looked at the papers once more, trying to figure out the riddle. "Maybe it means the answer is in front of you - you just need to keep faith in yourself and ask the person?"

"I don't know who the person is!" Harry complained. "If she is in front of me, how do I know?"

"How do you know it's a she?" Hermione retorted. "It could be a guy who is your true love." She cracked up laughing at the grimace of horror clear on Harry's face.

"I like female thank you very much. I'd thank you for keeping any more of those comments to yourself," Harry told her with a stern look. Hermione nodded, trying to stifle her giggles.

The common room door opened and Harry turned to see Ron standing in the doorway. He took one look at Harry and Hermione's cosy situation and a look of rage crossed his face. He stormed past them and up the stairs.

Hermione sighed as she rested her head back on Harry's shoulder once more.

"I wish he would get over it," Hermione told Harry, who nodded in agreement. Ron had asked Hermione out at the beginning of the year but Hermione had declined, telling him that she did not have feelings for Ron.

Ron hadn't accepted it and accused her of fancying Harry and wanting his wealth and fame, Hermione had slapped him hard and stormed off. Harry had overheard the conversation and made it clear to Ron that he wasn't going to stand by and allow Ron to insult Hermione just because she had rejected Ron.

Ron had tried stayed away from the two of them since, except from where he was forced to sit with them in the Great Hall, but it hadn't stopped him from throwing glares at the friends whenever he saw them.

"We don't really have time for fighting - not with Voldemort out there," Harry whispered. Hermione turned in Harry's arms and hugged him close. She knew how much she had missed having Ron as a friend, though Hermione did have doubts about Ron's ability to be a good friend as he didn't seem have to a problem turning his back on them, and wished that Ron would actually grow up for once.

"He'll come round soon, he always does," Hermione told him and Harry nodded but both of them had doubts about it.

"Let's go to bed, it's getting late," Harry told her and Hermione nodded as they both got up and headed over toward the doors that led to the dormitories.

"I'll see you in the morning," Hermione told Harry. "Sleep well." She reached up and kissed his cheek.

"You too," Harry whispered back as he kissed her cheek in return, lingering near her mouth before he pulled away. They both shared a smile and Harry watched as Hermione stepped through the doors that led her to her room before making his way into his room.

Upon entering it, he found Ron was lying on his back on his bed. Ron turned to face Harry before sitting up. Harry sighed when he saw that Ron was going to talk to him.

"If it's to insult Hermione and I, save your breath," Harry told him. "I don't want to hear how Hermione was stupid to turn you down or how she is just after my fame and wealth."

"You really think you are perfect, don't you?" Ron demanded and Harry snorted.

"Oh yeah - my parents being killed when I was one, living with muggles who hates me, having money only because my parents and god father are dead, being famous because a mass murderer wants me dead - really perfect," Harry remarked sarcastically. "Do think before you open that mouth. You're not perfect either."

Harry moved over to his bed and pulled out his PJs. He stripped his clothes off and pulled his PJs on before looking at Ron once more. "You can complain all you want that Hermione isn't interested in you but the fact is - none of us really care Ron, there is a war going on out there and Voldemort is gunning for me - that takes top priority at the moment and if you don't like, then tough." With that, Harry climbed into bed, drew the curtains and went to sleep.

The next morning, Hermione found herself in the library as she stared out of the window at the falling snow. It had been snowing all day yesterday and all night with no end in sight. She didn't mind it when it snowed because it always gave the impression of the world being innocent, pure and clean.

Shaking her head to get back to reality, she looked down at her books only for her lips to curl down with sadness. She didn't know what was going to happen at the end of the year. With Voldemort still out there, waiting for his chance to kill Harry, she was working overtime in finding spells that would keep Harry alive and keep him alive.

Sighing sadly to herself, she flicked through the books, not realising that a pair of blue eyes were looking at her in sympathy before a flick of blonde hair made its way out of the library.

Harry was making his way toward the library when he bumped into a certain red haired female who was currently his ex-girlfriend.

Harry had dated Ginny for a short time in his sixth year but broke it off after Dumbledore had died, much to Ginny's annoyance as she had wanted to keep dating the young handsome man. Which she had proven in the letters she had sent him over the summer and trying to corner him at every chance she could at Hogwarts, further annoying the young man.

"Ginny," Harry greeted, curtly.

"So, what is going on with you and Granger?" Ginny demanded. She wanted answers from her boyfriend and she wanted them now.

"She's my best friend," Harry informed Ginny, darkly. He wasn't impressed with her attitude and he was getting annoyed with it.

"Sure seem cosy just to be best friends," Ginny remarked, sarcastically and got a cold glare in return.

"Hermione Granger is my best friend and I will not stand here and listen to you insult our relationship just because you feel catty - get over yourself," Harry shot at her.

"Harry - you said that you would come back to me after the war, excuse me if I feel threatened," Ginny snapped and got a mirthless laugh in return.

"Grow the hell up Ginny!" Harry snapped, startling the red haired. "I broke up with you because I'm no longer interested in you and if you can't deal with that, then it's not my problem because I have more pressing worries to deal with." With that, Harry spun on his heels and stormed away from Ginny, leaving her staring at his back with an angry expression before she turned away and walked away.

Hermione was rounding a corner when a hard body collided with her. Giving a small squeak, she threw her hands out and they clutched the robes while the person's hands gripped her arms softly, holding her up.

Confused, Hermione looked up and found herself staring into green eyes.

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised but Hermione shook her head as she tried to calm her thumping heart.

"It's okay," Hermione told him as they detangled from each other and stood staring at each other. "What happened?"

"I got into a fight with Ginny," Harry told her. "She really drives me insane."

"She just misses you," Hermione told him and Harry scoffed.

"More like she misses being the 'Boy-Who-Lived' girlfriend - not interested," Harry told her and Hermione sighed as she reached up and pulled Harry into a hug, who just wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close.

TBC