Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Christmas Curse by Valancy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Christmas Curse

Valancy

Prologue I

Three maidens fair lie in the snow,

Their robes of deepest indigo.

The hair of one as bright as flame,

The second an unruly mane,

The third as pale

As a full moon,

These ladies three

Need rescue soon.

Enchanted sleep

Has stilled their breath,

Their skin as pale

And cold as death.

What could make them breathe once more?

What could make them whole and warm?

A quest for three young wizards brave,

They must complete by Christmas day.

~~~~~~~

Prologue II

"My position as caretaker does NOT include foolishness such as this! They're not even students anymore!"

"Does that mean Argus, that you decline my offer?" There was a hint of humor in the old wizard's voice.

"No," said Argus Filch, caretaker at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He was the picture of petulance, with his arms crossed and lips pursed. "I'll keep my end of the bargain, long as you keep yours," and with that, Filch left the former headmaster's office.

"You're making a mistake, Dumbledore."

Dumbledore smiled from his portrait. "That is a distinct possibility, Phineas."

Phineas Nigellus scowled from his portrait. "I hope you know what you're doing, Dumbledore."

"For once in my life - such as it now is," Dumbledore chuckled, "I do. I well and truly do."

~~~~~~~

Chapter One

The Burrow glowed with holiday warmth and cheer. Holly and mistletoe, live fairies in vibrant colors, and charmed snow decorated both the inside and outside of the Weasley home. Light and music, and the scent of mulled wine and delicious food spilled from the doorway and every window. It was Christmas Eve, and in the spirit of the season, Molly and Arthur had opened the Burrow to anyone who would come.

George had bewitched the front door to announce visitors. When Percy arrived, the door's voice rang out, "Former Big Head Boy, Percy Ignatius Weasley!" Luckily, Percy laughed. However, Molly wasn't entirely amused. Arthur chuckled from behind his wife as George whispered to him, "I did that for Fred."

After that, the door minded its manners for the most part, calling visitors by their proper names, but often adding overly flowery titles. Harry cringed with embarrassment at being announced as, "Harry James Potter, Vanquisher of Voldemort and Savior of the Wizarding World!" Hermione laughed until a moment later the door cried, "Accompanied by his lovely lady friend, Hermione Jane Granger, Co-Vanquisher, Co-Savior, and the Brightest Witch of Her Age!"

Ginny arched an eyebrow at, "lady friend," while Ron laughed and said, "Oi! Don't I get a fancy announcement?"

The door answered indignantly, "Ronald Bilius Weasley, who was already here, Co-Vanquisher, Co-Savior, and - " The door suddenly broke into a rousing chorus of, "Weasley is our King," as Luna appeared on the stoop.

Luna beamed. "What a lovely door!"

George grinned.

Ron blushed scarlet to the tips of his ears.

The door was kept very busy over the next quarter hour, announcing Charlie, then Bill, Fleur, and baby Victoire, baby Teddy and his grandmother Andromeda, Neville and his Gran, as well as Dean, Seamus, Katie and Angelina.

Though magically expanded, the Burrow was full to bursting. Even so, there still seemed to be huge gaps where those lost to the war should be. Harry stood next to the hearth. The fire was crackling merrily, but he didn't hear it. Lost in thought, he looked around the room filled with people he loved. He couldn't see those who were there without thinking of those who were not. It seemed more important than ever at Christmas time for everyone who'd survived the war to come together. He was comforted by the knowledge that those who had died were always with him in heart, but he still missed them dearly.

Ginny made her way to his side, a steaming mug of spiced wine in her hand. She snaked her arm through his, offering him the wine. Brought back to the present, he took the mug and smiled at her. As he took a sip, Ginny pointed up with a mischievous look in her eye. "Mistletoe."

Harry grinned. "Seems like it's everywhere."

"And a good thing, too." She drew his face to her own, and tasted sweet wine on his lips.

The candlelight glinted off the ring on Ginny's left hand, the reflection catching Hermione's eye. She smiled a moment, then looked down at her own hand with a sigh. The ring on it was definitely pretty. Ron had surprised her with it shortly after the war ended. He hadn't any money, so he'd transfigured a coin and a pebble into what looked like a gold and diamond ring. She'd been impressed by the magic involved, but unfortunately it didn't stick, and every night she had to renew the charm. "I'll get you a real one as soon as I can," he'd promised.

She felt Ron come up behind her, wrapping his arms around her. She leaned back into him, turning her head to meet his kiss.

Molly watched her two youngest, her heart swelling. Before the war, she might have admonished them for rushing things. But she knew all too well that life was short and precious. She'd given Ginny and Harry, and Ron and Hermione her enthusiastic blessing. It felt good to have the family growing, especially after such a devastating loss.

Outside, an unexpected visitor appeared on the stoop, a smartly wrapped gift in one hand, the other raised to knock. Before it could do so, the door swung open and loudly announced, "Draco Malfoy!" The entire party seemed to grind to a halt, and an awkward silence fell. Malfoy could not have looked more uncomfortable. People stood aside as Molly made her way to the door.

"Hello, Draco," Molly said. She smiled and gestured for him to come in.

He tried to speak, but words seemed to have temporarily failed him. Instead, he held out the gift to her.

Molly took it and said, "Thank you very much dear. Do come in. There's plenty to eat and drink."

He stepped forward gingerly, and as he did so, the music and din of the gathering resumed. Looking like he could use a tot, he gratefully allowed the party to wash over him. He found a dim corner and tried his very best to blend into the scenery.

He wasn't sure why he was there. He thought his world had turned upside down at the end of sixth year. That was nothing compared to how things had been since the final moments of the Battle of Hogwarts. His whole life he'd been groomed to serve the Dark Lord, and only weeks ago he found himself playing a fairly major role in his demise. On top of that, he was starting to have a bothersome attack of conscience regarding his treatment of pretty much everyone during the last seven years.

He knew in his head that he'd redeemed himself. However, it was at the eleventh hour and it didn't seem like enough. He didn't know where to start, and was angry about the confusing emotions coursing through him. He didn't want to be good. He didn't want to be sorry. Or did he? Damn it all! he thought, I'm leaving.

"You were awful to my friends." Luna appeared next to him and held out a glass of a thick, cream colored liquid. A bit stunned, he took it as she continued, "But I believe in redemption. And the war was a great equalizer. In the end, you chose the right side. Cheers!" She raised her glass, while he looked at his dubiously. "Go on, it's got loads of Ogden's in it."

He held it to his nose and sniffed. Sure enough, the distinctive tang of Ogden's Firewhisky assaulted him. "What is it?"

"I believe Hermione called it, 'egg-nog.' It's a muggle Christmas drink, and an American one, at that."

At the word, "muggle," he almost made a snide remark. A lifetime habit was hard to break. However, he managed to stop himself and instead simply said, "Fascinating." He took a tiny sip, and to his surprise, somewhat enjoyed it. There was a part of him that couldn't help but still be revolted by anything muggle, American, and worse, something Granger probably had something to do with. However, the drink was smooth and creamy and sweet, a wonderful contrast with the comforting Ogden's sliding hotly down his throat.

Luna smiled. "It was brave of you to come."

Before Draco could reply, Luna drifted off back into the fray. As he watched her go, he noticed she seemed to be looking intently at something across the room. He followed her gaze. Ron Weasley? This could get interesting. Wonder if Granger realizes.

Next to the Christmas tree, George was holding Teddy, telling him a story. "…and every time a bell tolls, a squib gets his magic!"

Hermione rolled her eyes, laughing. "No George! It's, 'Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!"

George shrugged, mock offended. "Have it your way."

Ron smirked. "She always does! Ow!" Hermione playfully slugged him in the arm.

George jiggled a giggling Teddy. "You tell it your way Hermione, and I'll tell it mine. Teddy seems to like it!"

Laughter and music flowed through the night, accompanied by plenty of food and drink. The party was festive and cheery, and showed no signs of stopping when somewhere, a clock began to strike midnight.

"That's weird," Charlie said. "When did mum and dad get a normal clock?"

"We didn't," answered Arthur. "Where is that coming from?"


Everyone started looking for the source of the gongs.

"Anyone see Luna lately?" Neville asked.

When no one answered, Harry and Ron realized they hadn't seen Ginny and Hermione in a while.

"Even girls don't take that long in the bathroom, do they?" Ron asked.

Harry shrugged, but was starting to get a little concerned.

As the final gong sounded, Molly screamed, pointing to the Weasley family clock. Two names had been added next to Ginny's: Hermione and Luna. All three were pointing to, "Mortal Peril."