Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Christmas Curse by Valancy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Christmas Curse

Valancy

A/N: I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas! In case I don't update before the 31st, here's wishing you all a very happy New Year!

~~~~~~~

Chapter Four - A Visit From An Old Friend

A soft pop! broke the silence in the Burrow's lounge. A moment later, a frozen Harry started into life. Wand instantly out, Harry whirled around at once taking in the scene before him. A familiar, high-pitched voice said, "Harry Potter!"

"Dobby?!" Harry looked down to see the dear house elf standing before him. Tears filled Harry's eyes as he bent down to scoop Dobby up in a fierce hug - only to close his arms around thin air. Harry tried again. "Dobby! What's happening? How - " Harry's breath caught in his throat. "I've missed you so much!"

"Dobby's missed Harry Potter too, sir. Very much!" The house elf's eyes were bright. Dobby raised his arms without thinking, but then shook his head and dropped them. "Dobby's here in spirit only, sir."

Harry took a good look at Dobby, who was outfitted in his favorite tea cozy hat, and multiple pairs of mismatched socks. Harry realized that while at first glance Dobby looked normal, he was ever so slightly transparent with a faint golden glow surrounding him.

Harry thought his heart would burst.

"Don't be sad, Harry Potter. Dobby's here to help!"

Harry couldn't help but smile just a little. "Help me do what, Dobby? Do you know what's going on? Do you know where my friends are?"

"Don't you worry about your Wheezy, sir! He'll be just fine."

"And what about Hermione, Ginny, and Luna? They're in danger?"

"That's why Dobby's here, sir. Dobby has a message." Dobby began speaking, reciting by memory,

"Three maidens fair lie in the snow,

Their robes of deepest indigo.

The hair of one as bright as flame,

The second an unruly mane,

The third as pale

As a full moon,

These ladies three

Need rescue soon.

Enchanted sleep

Has stilled their breath,

Their skin as pale

And cold as death.

What could make them breathe once more?

What could make them whole and warm?

A quest for three young wizards brave,

They must complete by Christmas day.

Wizard of heart so brave and true,

Life has asked so much of you.

Now the time has come to be,

Not to give but to receive.

If you wish to win the day,

You must be the one who's saved."

"Dobby, that doesn't make any sense. Who sent the message? Who are the other two wizards? How am I supposed to find Hermione and Ginny and Luna?"

Dobby looked down. "Dobby's bound to secrecy and he can't say who sent the message. But," he looked up hopefully, "Dobby can tell Harry Potter that his Wheezy should be safe,"

"Should be?" Harry interrupted. "And the hands on the clock say - "

"Dobby knows, sir. And -"

"What about everyone here? Why are they frozen?"

"Harry Potter, always so great and kind! Thinks of everyone else first!" Dobby beamed with admiration as Harry's face flushed with embarrassment.

"I can't just sit and twiddle my thumbs when my friends need me, Dobby."

Dobby nodded vigorously. "Dobby knows, sir. Which is why Harry Potter must listen close to Dobby, and do what Dobby asks!"

"Of course, Dobby. Anything!"

Dobby began to move toward the fireplace. "Follow me, sir."

It took a couple of moments of maneuvering around everyone, but soon Harry and Dobby stood in front of the frozen flames. Dobby took something out of his pocket, threw it into the fire, and said something Harry couldn't quite make out. The flames roared into life, but instead of turning green they turned silver, shimmering and sparkling with whatever it was Dobby had thrown in.

"Hurry, sir!" Dobby held out his hand.

Harry took it, and found himself not only spinning in the floo, but also feeling the unpleasant squeezing sensation he felt when apparating.

It was over almost as soon as it had begun.

Harry stumbled a little as he exited into an unfamiliar room. "Dobby?" Harry looked around, but the house elf was nowhere to be seen. "Dobby, please. Come back!" But the only sound was the crackling of the now maddeningly normal fire burning in the hearth. Harry's heart ached. He couldn't believe he was reunited with Dobby, only to have him gone again so soon. Harry did his best to set that aside and focus on his new surroundings.

He was in what looked like a cozy lounge, but there was something vaguely cold and lonely about it that he couldn't put his finger on. It was awfully quiet, and though it seemed like no one was home, Harry called out, "Hello?" When there was no answer, he began to explore the room more closely.

There were wizard photos on the mantle above the fireplace. Harry was about to move on when something in one of them caught his eye. What the…? It was the photo of his mum and dad Hagrid had given him. Harry picked it up and looked at his parents' smiling faces.

Stunned, he set the photo back down and realized he recognized many of the others. There were photos of himself and Ron and Hermione. There were also photographs he didn't recognize, but he knew the people in them. Many of those were photos of himself and Ginny. They were in places he knew they'd never been before. What's more, when he looked very closely, it seemed he and Ginny looked a few years older.

The flames in the hearth suddenly turned green. Harry jumped back as someone emerged from the fireplace, and walked straight through Harry. Startled, Harry turned around and saw… himself. "Hello!" Harry called, but there was no response. The Harry he saw enter the lounge simply brushed himself off, continued through the lounge and into the next room.

Wand out, Harry followed.

Both Harrys were now in the kitchen. In the brighter light, Harry could see that his other self was indeed several years older. He watched as his older self poured a shot of Ogden's, downed it, and poured another. This one he took along as he went back into the lounge and plopped into an overstuffed chair.

"What's going on?" Harry wondered as he lowered his wand. He hadn't gone into a pensieve, although this seemed very similar. His older self didn't know he was there, but this couldn't be a memory. Harry watched as older Harry picked up an issue of the Daily Prophet. Harry read the date on the front page, June 21, 2017. 2017?!

This is the future? Harry wondered.

Just then, there was a loud rapping on the window. A small, fluffy puff of feathers hovered at the window with an envelope clutched in its beak. Pigwidgeon?

Older Harry sighed, put down the Prophet, and got up and opened the window. The hyperactive owl came in, did a quick loop, then dropped the envelope he had been carrying into Harry's hand. "Thanks, PigToo." He absentmindedly handed the little owl an owl treat, which PigToo happily gulped down before fluttering onto a post next to the window.

Older Harry opened the envelope, pulling out a letter. Harry maneuvered himself so he could read over his shoulder.

Harry,

I'm so sorry. I wish I knew what to say, but it seems we've said it all, haven't we? I've decided to stay at the Burrow for now. I'll be sending Ron along for some of my things.

I tried. Really, I did.

Ginny

Older Harry let the letter fall as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "And on our anniversary, too," older Harry muttered.

Merlin, Harry thought. I can't believe it…

There was a knock at the door. "Come in."

"Hey mate," an older-looking Ron said as he walked into the lounge. "You got Ginny's owl, then?"

Older Harry nodded morosely.

"Look, you're my best mate, but she's my sister."

Older Harry shrugged. "Yeah, of course."

"I'm really sorry."

Older Harry let out a mirthless laugh. "Been hearing that a lot, lately."

Ron looked distinctly uncomfortable. "I'll only be a moment, then why don't we go over to the Iron Cauldron and knock back a few?"

"Sure, why not."

A few minutes later Ron had Ginny's things sorted, and he and Older Harry were headed out.

What do I do, now? Harry thought.

The sound of soft hooting made Harry turn toward the window. PigToo fluttered around his perch, then landed and stuck out his leg. Harry hadn't noticed before, but there was a message tied to PigToo's leg. Harry untied it and opened it. He couldn't be sure, but he thought the hand writing was very familiar. As he read it, the ink shimmered a faint blue.

Harry,

As you may have guessed, what you have just seen is a glimpse of the future. However, the future is not set in stone. You have a chance now to choose a different path, and in doing so save both your friends and yourself.

You must choose, and have that choice strong and clear in your mind. When you do, take this letter and throw it into the fire. The flames will turn blue, and take you where you need to be. Do NOT step into the fire until you are sure.

The note was unsigned.

As if I could choose to not save my friends! Harry thought.

He strode to the hearth and threw in the letter. He stepped into the sapphire flames and began to spin.