Unofficial Portkey Archive

For You I Will by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

For You I Will

gryffindor-girl

Authors Note: (skip it if they bore you, is nothing important.)

**shuffles back into the room**

Uh..hello. I haven't posted on Portkey for a few months, I've been travelling. For anyone who's interested, (which may very well be no one ha ha), I almost abandoned Something About You. (I'm scared of the reviews. Lame, but true. Thinner skin than I thought! Hah, who knew). But I've decided it's too sad to leave it where it is and so I will finish it. Soon!

Anyway - this is a little peace offering. I've got lots of stories I've been writing but my new rule is to finish a story before I post it. I get thrown off by reviews otherwise. This is a light hearted story that's three chapters long and complete(daily updates from now kids). It's kinda fluffy I think, similar to my other short, Favourite Girl. I've got something more angsty in the works but it's a few weeks off yet.

Hope you enjoy, if you review be gentle! I'm a sensitive soul...

Warnings: Strong language, alcohol use and slightly OOC.

Disclaimer: Everyone's always getting drunk in my stories. This is one of the many ways you can tell I'm not JK Rowling.

For You I Will

By gg (also posted on ff.net as Wrong for Me under scarlett and gold.)

She's always been wrong for me.

She's picky, a perfectionist. It would've driven me crazy.

See even now, it's a party for Christ's sake and she's trying to make sure all the shot glasses match. What difference does it make? No one's going to be able to tell in a minute.

I watch her from the other side of the kitchen as she carefully measures out Midori into each glass, then grabs a teaspoon from the top drawer -and makes sure it's clean- before using it to pour the Baileys on to, so it sits perfectly on the top layer of the shot.

I roll my eyes.

It's a Quick Fuck. That's the name of the drink. It's not supposed to be perfect. She's taking so long with these shots I actually check out her ass in those tight dark jeans. Now that's a first.

I've never checked her out before.

Well not really anyway. I know she has nice skin - she looks good in a strapless top like what she's wearing now. Her shoulders are smooth and her arms are slim and toned. But I don't really notice. When we get ready to go out somewhere, it's like she's one of the lads. In fact she mostly has drinks around at mine and Ron's before she comes out with us somewhere.

I give a short derisive snort as I realise it's never occurred to me to mind yet. It's usually me, Ron, Seamus, Ernie and sometimes Dean, though he's a bit under the thumb now he's with Lavender, and Hermione. I look over at Ron who's trying to chat up some brunette girl that's come to Ernie's party; I've never seen her before. Hermione glances over and shakes her head. I wonder if she ever actually minds. I see a small smile on her face as she moves around to the other side of the glasses and I suppose not - I guess she's just glad Ron was honest with her from the beginning that he was nowhere near ready to settle down yet.

I'm glad too - only because I couldn't have gone on lying for him. He was practically asking me to choose between them when he'd sneak around, seeing all these different girls behind her back. When he finally called it quits I thought Hermione would be furious. Funnily enough, she took it in her stride.

I watch her as she carefully places the shot glasses on a circular tray and gets out her wand, casting a spell so none of them would spill. Typical. She does everything the safe, measured way. God it probably bored Ron to death.

She takes the tray to Ernie and Seamus who turn around to her and cheer, Seamus looping an arm around her and bringing her into the circle. She grins and starts handing out the little glasses, watching her hands carefully so as not to spill. I'd roll my eyes again but I think it's starting to give me a headache.

They go to drink and she stops them, bossing everyone around as usual. They turn to her and she makes them lift their glasses in the middle to make them clink then leads them in a chorus of 'They tried to make me go to rehab I said no no NO!!!" They shout the last word and down the drink, as per her instructions at the beginning of the night. Always making us play her drinking games, do things her way.

She's smiling as she starts to move away until the boys grab her and pull her back, complaining that she hasn't had a drink yet. Now it's her turn to roll her eyes but it's good natured as she lifts the glass, her arm up straight and sings the line again, loudly. She throws back the drink to a round of cheers and I laugh at the grimace she makes afterward.

She brushes off the boys praises and moves on to the next group which includes Ron. He hangs his arm around her neck too and the same process begins before she moves on.

A group of guys by the door are watching her as she makes her way around the room, giving shots and having laughs. She has no idea. When she reaches them I can see something in their eyes as they watch her, talk and laugh with her, and it unsettles me for some reason. I frown and watch them over my drink.

Just then I catch a flash of red in the corner of my vision and fight back the urge to groan. I plaster on a smile and turn to Ginny who's walking towards me with her friend Trina. A cute brunette who's attached herself to Ginny lately, a little stalker-like if you ask me.

"Hi Harry."

It's funny how you can be enamoured by someone for years, then only months later, their very voice can irritate you. I give her a kiss on the cheek hello though, and smile at Trina who grins back idiotically. Just then I hear Hermione laugh loudly across the room and look over to see her in the middle of the group of guys, them watching her every move.

I tear my eyes away to focus back on Ginny. I mean yeah, she is still hot. But god - what a nightmare.

I'd thought I was getting this low maintenance, easy going girl who'd be a friend to me too - but with ...benefits. No, no what I got in fact was a girl that once we were going out again after the war, tried to never let me out of her sight. All her insecurities came out and I found myself making excuses for the fun I was trying to have to forget the ordeal we had all just been through. I thought she would understand. But really, I mean who could. I guess only Hermione was there for the whole thing, and other than her, no one else really knew everything that went on. I couldn't be bothered explaining to Ginny, especially once I realised the most important thing to her was the latest styles of robes in Witch Weekly. I lost count of how many times I sat in the lounge room, waiting with Ron and Hermione for Ginny to get ready. She'd come out and go back in to get changed so many times that we were often already drunk by the time we'd go out. I don't know why she needed that long. Hermione was always ready not long after me and Ron and she always looked fine.

The guys weren't letting Hermione move on yet, insisting she had another shot with them. I could tell she was trying to think of an out now. I started to think about how I could help her out when I felt Ginny's hand on my thigh.

She was leaning in close to say something to me, her glass of wine dangerously close to tipping.

"What?"

"I said - are you going anywhere after this?"

I wasn't concentrating though, I was just about to walk over to Hermione who was looking like she was really trying to get away now but just then she gave one of them the tray and plucked the last two shot glasses off it. She turned away laughing as a few called her back and then she was headed straight for me, raising her eyebrows.

I smiled at her, inviting her over. It looked like we could both help each other out here.

"Help!" She shook her head and laughed again as she handed me one of the shots. "Hi Ginny!"

Ginny smiled at her; a smile that -I knew her well enough to know -was fake. Funny how Hermione had chilled out a lot over the years and Ginny had got more...uptight. She'd always seemed to have a problem with Hermione since we left school. I don't know why and I don't know if Hermione didn't realise or if she just did a good job of playing dumb to it. Who really knows with girls I thought, and went to knock back the drink.

"Waaaait!" Hermione put her hand on my arm, stopping me. "The song, Harry. You know you gotta sing the song..."

I screwed up my face. "I'm definitely not singing the song." I tried to stop the corners of my mouth tugging as she stared at me incredulous.

"You so are!! Everyone has to sing the song, it's the rules. And you know I'm all about rules." Ernie and Seamus were watching now and Ernie called out 'Yeah right' to which Hermione turned and shushed him. She turned back to watch me intently and I couldn't help but smile.

I rolled my eyes. "Shit. Alright." I held my glass up, then glanced sideways at her. "You're singing it with me."

Her eyes glinted brightly. "Of course."

"They tried to make me go to rehab I said..."

"NO NO NO!!" Everyone but Ginny and Trinia joined in and I laughed before taking the shot. I handed the empty glass back to Hermione who was trying to pass the last full shot on to Ginny -who was refusing. She and Trinia moved off to the other side of the kitchen.

"Looks like it's yours then."

"God no, I can't do another, seriously. You do it for me."

I frowned at her but decided to help her out. She passed me the little glass, then brought her hand to her face to lick off the sticky liqueur that had spilt on her thumb.

No there was no denying it, tonight she definitely looked hot. I could actually see how guys that aren't her mate might notice her, she's nice and slim and her hair, long and still curly but much tamer than when we were at Hogwarts - it falls down to the middle of her back now. It's soft and bouncy and she unconsciously tucks it behind one ear a lot. It's kinda cute I guess.

I decide to tell her.

"You look hot tonight you know."

Her eyes grew really wide for a moment then she shoved me. "Shut up."

I shoved her back. "You do, idiot."

She smiled then, and nudged me with her elbow. "Ta. No I'll take that as a compliment, coming from you!"

"What do you mean by that?"

She looked at me quizzically. "Well you only date models and that. High standards!" She grinned and reached past me up to the cupboard behind my head for a tumbler. I get a face full of great smelling hair.

"I don't!"

I turn to help pass her ice and the ingredients for her cocktails.

"Uh...yes you do. " She raised her hand at my accusatory gaze. "I'm saying that's good!! It means you know hot when you see it! And so, I'm flattered."

"Blah blah." I throw some ice at her and she giggles. "Last compliment I give you, kid."

She grins. "Actually, it's the first compliment you've ever given me."

She spins away from me then, back over to play games with Seamus and I'm left staring after her. That's not true is it? I've given her compliments before haven't I? Surely. I rack my brain and a sort of dread comes over me. I think she might be right.

It bugs me for the rest of the party.

I've given her compliments before, I know it. About her spell work, about her quick thinking - I mean she's saved my life, so many times. I guess that's her point. It's always been about her brains.

Never about her, physically. Or emotionally I guess.

I drain another glass and stare at the empty bottom. I've lost count how many that is now - for some reason I've found myself sat in a corner, drinking myself into a coma.

I don't know what's wrong with me. There's a room full of people, over half of them beautiful witches and I'm sitting in a corner lost in my thoughts. Luckily enough of my mates come over and chat to me that I don't think anyone can tell.

Which leaves me alone with my thoughts for the most part.

I'm sure there was one time... my memory is even blurrier than usual thanks to the alcohol.

That's it! After my first date with Cho in Hogsmeade back in Year....whatever it was, I came to her for advice. And she said... What did she say?

'You should've mentioned how ugly you thought I was too'

That's right. And so I told her she was pretty then. Didn't I?

'But I don't think you're ugly.'

Not the same thing Harry you genius.

Ahh right. Okay so she's right. I've never complimented her before. But so what? Ron doesn't compliment Ginny - it's a brother and sister thing. So she's like my sister - like I've always said.

But I'm positive that Ron has NEVER checked out Ginny's ass in her tight jeans - no matter how briefly. Argh this conversation with myself was giving me a headache.

God where's another drink when you need one.

"Are you alright?"

Of course she notices. For not the first time in my life, I wish she didn't know me so well.

"No I'm ridiculously drunk and finding it difficult to say big words."

She snorts with laughter and dumps herself unceremoniously down next to me.

"Come and dance."

I grimace at her. "Since when did I ever dance. Geez, call yourself my best friend. I thought you knew me by now."

"Ah I live in hope." She grins at me. Then her face turns serious. "No actually, I really need to shake one of these guys. Stalker alert." She shifts her back to the room so no one else can see and makes a stabbing motion with her hand with her eyes wide, making an accompanying noise. She makes me laugh.

"So what, are you just going to use me for my body."

She leans forward and squeezes my bicep. "Shameful, but true. "

Hang about - I think I'm flirting. With Hermione.

It's like an out of body experience. So much so, that my mouth starts speaking without me.

"Why don't I just snog you. They'll get the message then."

Her face completely changes to an expression I've never seen before. She stares at me and I grab a drink - hers I think - and drain it.

Shit , stop stop STOP flirting with Hermione.

I grab her around the neck, rougher than I mean to, and pull her in close, kissing the top of her head. I'm thinking of kind of a big brother type thing I've seen Ron do a few times, but I don't count on the fact that she's drunk too and when she turns her face up to me, she's now a grand total of 2 inches away from my lips.

"Just...stay here for a bit. They'll take off soon."

All she does is nod sleepily and I'm suddenly and uncomfortably aware of her body tucking itself into mine, her arms winding around my waist. None of the people who know us look at us strangely but casting an eye to the lads in the corner I see one of them gesture over and turn to talk to his mates.

Alright then, mission accomplished. You can let her go now Potter.

Hmmm her hair smells really good.

I almost push her to the other end of the seat, disentangling myself. "Right then! Good?"

She laughs at me, then kisses me on the cheek. "Good."

She bounces off to talk to the dark haired girl that's been locked on Ron all night and at that moment I realise it's bloody Luna. What the hell?

I've definitely drunk too much.

The rest of the night blurs until I pulling my t shirt off and falling face down on a bed. Next thing I know, I'm waking up with a mouth that feels like a desert and a finger in my ear.

I push myself up slowly and a small, definitely girlish hand falls off my face and down onto the bed.

I wasn't THAT drunk... was I?

I can smell a perfume I recognise. Oh shit.

Pushing myself up a bit further I groan. Red hair. Ginny.

And I'm against the wall. My jeans are still on and I'm pretty sure I'm in the same position I passed out in. So she must've come in afterward. I shrug mentally, then start to manoeuvre myself over top of her, trying not to wake her up. She stirs and I freeze, squeezing my eyes shut until she rolls over. I pull my arm away just in time before she grabs it in her sleep and jump up to land on my bare feet.

Ouch, jumping ...not so good for the head. I gotta get some water.

I pad out of the room, rubbing my fingers through my hair which I can feel is sticking up in every direction. Dodging sleeping bodies in the lounge I make it through to the kitchen and grab the last clean glass left to fill and drain it three times with water. Searching the cupboards I find some bread and butter, and chuck two pieces in the toaster, stretching into a big yawn while I wait for it to cook.

"Oooooh shhhhhit!!!"

I turn around mid stretch to see Hermione hopping in the room, one leg in her jeans, the other bent in an effort to get it in the other leg. She's got a shirt on, but it's half unbuttoned and I can see her black bra underneath as she nearly falls over, then finds her balance against the door jamb. Her thighs are slim and tanned. For some reason, although I've seen her in her underwear a few times I think, I turn away; and even weirder - I bring my arms in quickly making a pointless effort to cover my bare chest. She doesn't notice.

"Shit! So late!! So...late...for...work..."

I'm busying myself buttering the toast, and I can hear she's right behind me putting shoes on now I think. She must almost lose her balance again because she grabs on to the waistband of my jeans to steady herself. The pattern on the tiles in front of me is really intricate, circles and squares I think. Or is that triangles? I study it.

Then her hands are on either side of my waist as she peers around me to the toast I'm buttering.

"Ooh please?"

I look down at her face by my elbow and see her looking up at me, all chocolate brown eyes. I can't help but smile and I place a piece of toast in her mouth.

She gives a muffled thank you and lets go of me, thank god. I put the other piece in my mouth as I turn around and watch her cross the room, buttoning her blouse.

"Alright, I'm ready. Respectable?"

I've got my arms folded, leaning against the bench and taking her in. I smile crookedly and gesture with my toast at her pants.

She looks down. "Oh, god!" She cracks up laughing as she puts her toast back in her mouth while she does up her button fly, jumping up and down while she does. Finally she puts her arms out in a wide shrug, asking for my approval again.

I nod and smile. She grins back.

"Thanks. See you later?"

I nod again and watch her as she turns and apparates away.

I turn and chuck my toast back on the counter, leaning forward on my hands and resting my forehead on the cupboards.

Oh crap.

I'm falling for Hermione.